PDA

View Full Version : Collison makes strong impression on Paul

duncan228
03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Collison makes strong impression on Paul (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer030510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

Chris Paul spends his games in a suit these days. He stands almost as much as he sits, and he’s usually yelling about something – most often to shout encouragement to his New Orleans Hornets teammates. Paul can’t play while he recovers from arthroscopic knee surgery, but he can coach. And the guy who’s getting the biggest earful from Paul is the 22-year-old rookie who replaced him in the starting lineup.

“Right now,” Paul said, “I’m living through Darren Collison.

“Every time he makes a move, nine times out of 10 when he scores or makes a pass, I’m jumping up just like it’s me.”

Collison has given Paul plenty of reason to cheer. While the Hornets will be pressed to make the playoffs – they entered Friday trailing the Portland Trail Blazers by five games for the Western Conference’s eighth and final seed – it’s been the play of Collison and fellow rookie guard Marcus Thornton that has kept them from completely falling out of the postseason hunt.

In 24 games as a starter, Collison has averaged 18.5 points, 8.6 assists and 3.7 rebounds. He had a triple-double against the Indiana Pacers on Feb. 19 and scored 35 points against the Dallas Mavericks nine days later. It was the third-most points by a rookie in Hornets history and two shy of the 37 Thornton scored against the Cleveland Cavaliers five days earlier. For his work in February, Collison was named the Western Conference Rookie of the Month.

Collison moved into the starting lineup after Paul injured his right knee on Jan. 29 and subsequently needed surgery. Paul’s absence figured to devastate the Hornets, whose early season struggles had already led to the firing of coach Byron Scott. Collison, however, took advantage of the opportunity and has helped keep New Orleans afloat.

“A couple players told me things like this happen,” Collison said. “You’ll have injuries throughout the season and you have to be able to step up when it’s your turn.”

Collison admits he’s been surprised by his play. Paul hasn’t.

“The thing that I’ve been the happiest is how efficient he’s been and poised and patient with everything,” Paul said. “What goes forgotten a lot of times is that he played in three Final Fours, so there is not too much that’s going to rattle him.”

The Hornets were high on Collison when they selected him with the 21st pick in the 2009 draft after he played four years at UCLA, but they also didn’t expect him to contribute this much so soon. He began the season as the third point guard behind Paul and Bobby Brown.

To help with his development, Collison showed up 45 minutes early to practices to work with assistant coach Robert Pack, a former NBA point guard. Pack called Collison every morning to make sure the rookie was awake and ready to work.

“It was pretty much more of a learning experience than it is now at the beginning,” Collison said. “I had to just wait for the opportunity to present itself. In the meantime, I had to continue to work on my game.

“Coach Pack means a lot to me and I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in now without him. That paid dividends because I got better and better in the workouts and continued to grow.”

Hornets general manager Jeff Bower gave both Collison and Thornton more of an opportunity to play after he replaced Scott as coach. The team’s confidence in Collison was evident after the Hornets traded Brown to the Los Angeles Clippers on Jan. 26 for a second-round draft pick in a salary dump. Paul was hurt three days later and Collison suddenly found himself running the Hornets’ veteran lineup.

Paul has helped teach Collison how to manage games by talking to him from the sideline and during timeouts. As Collison has grown steadier, Paul has become quieter.

“I’m in his ear too much at times,” Paul said. “But the last few games I haven’t been as much. The thing about it, me as a player I’m always open to opinions and suggestions and stuff like that. But at the same time, it can always be a hassle when someone is in your ear.”

Paul said he “loves” playing alongside Collison because he doesn’t have to bring the ball up the floor and it keeps him fresher in the fourth quarter. The question now is when will the Hornets be able to utilize that combination again?

Paul is hopeful he’ll return by the end of March; he’s shooting and riding a bicycle, but hasn’t begun running yet.

“I don’t care if I come back and there are three games left – I’m playing before the season is over,” Paul said. “But I can’t come back until I can help the team. I don’t want to come back until I’m fully healed. It would be pointless to come back, not be 100 percent and reinjure my knee.”

The Hornets have hit a rough stretch, entering Friday with losses in five of their past six games. Collison and Thornton have helped keep them in the chase, but the Hornets will likely need Paul to return soon if they have any hope of sneaking into the postseason.

“All we need is a chance,” Paul said.

So far, Collison has given them that much.

Killakobe81
03-05-2010, 06:05 PM
This is great Paul could be an ass BUT he is taking the guy under his wing...classy move.

PGDynasty24
03-05-2010, 06:41 PM
If I was hornets,I would shop CP3 for some talent,collison in no way is good as CP3 but he's going to be a good player for years to come and if they can get some good talent this team could be good

monosylab1k
05-20-2010, 05:18 PM
If I was hornets,I would shop CP3 for some talent,collison in no way is good as CP3 but he's going to be a good player for years to come and if they can get some good talent this team could be good

lame