PDA

View Full Version : Bruce aka G. Hill

jermaine
03-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Is George Hill our new Bruce? Should we sing Daniels & stop with the Hill running pg, cuz he looks confortable out on the wing or at sg. The more I see him an Blair play the more I don't see this season ending so bad even if we get bounced in the 1st rd. But Blair is gonna need Manu back next I think. Call me crazy but just wondering.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
no

Spurs Brazil
03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Hill defense is overrated. He's good but on some nights he sucks

Bruce had it on a GREAT level every game

tp2021
03-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Tere will never be another Bruce Bowen. He played not just good but great D, and not just in spells, but for the full game/season/entire tenure with the Spurs. He never got hurt. He hit clutch 3s. That is such a unique skillset. And he needs his jersey retired.

[/CoB rant]

DPG21920
03-06-2010, 01:38 PM
They are completely different players. Bruce was a refined excellent defender who had a one great shot. His ball handling was poor, his rebounding was poor, his finishing at the rim was poor.

Hill is an ok defender who has shown some small flashes of something better, who's handle is very good and he can score in a variety of ways. He is a solid rebounder and is pretty athletic.

ffadicted
03-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Tere will never be another Bruce Bowen. He played not just good but great D, and not just in spells, but for the full game/season/entire tenure with the Spurs. He never got hurt. He hit clutch 3s. That is such a unique skillset. And he needs his jersey retired.

[/CoB rant]

Amen motherfucker

benefactor
03-06-2010, 02:41 PM

[/CoB rant]
:tu

portnoy1
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Similiar to bruce, hill has long arms and has done very well hitting Bruce' trademark corner 3. However he is short for a 2guard and doesnt latch on to players like Bruce did. Bogans has shown that he is 'IMO' a tenacious defender. However his footspeed (lateral quickness) like many Spurs players is atrocious, it looks even worse when you have no one behind giving help ( I count Bonner as no one).

BillMc
03-06-2010, 02:51 PM

[/CoB rant]

One of the great shames is Bruce and Tim kept splitting the Spurs vote for "Defensive Player of the Year." Both, could have, and should have won. It's especially bad for Bruce as Tim has no shortage of awards and accolades.

My prediction is Bruce's number will be retired. But I bet it will be a few years. He deserves it.

Hill is excellent, though, and getting better. I am very happy he's a Spur.

Muser
03-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Bruce was really underrated when it came to the Championship teams, it was more like a big 4.

BillMc
03-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Bruce was really underrated when it came to the Championship teams, it was more like a big 4.

Remember that 2007 Sports Illustrated cover with the team strutting down the court:

Manu, Tony, Bruce, Tim and Oberto. With no disrespect to Oberto, those were the Big 4 on the left. Replace Oberto with D-Rob, and you have a perfect picture of the 2003 Spurs. The one's who ended the 3-Peat Lakers. Four future HOF'ers, and five future retired jersey's (I hope.)

Someday maybe you can add Hill to the picture. (And, you know, hopefully he'll be clothed.)

portnoy1
03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Remember that 2007 Sports Illustrated cover with the team strutting down the court:

Manu, Tony, Bruce, Tim and Oberto. With no disrespect to Oberto, those were the Big 4 on the left. Replace Oberto with D-Rob, and you have a perfect picture of the 2003 Spurs. The one's who ended the 3-Peat Lakers. Four future HOF'ers, and five future retired jersey's (I hope.)

Someday maybe you can add Hill to the picture. (And, you know, hopefully he'll be clothed.)
Lighten up on Oberto. We gelled when he was here. Interior D was not a problem either. As slow as he was, he understood the words rotate, post D and Help D. Seems such simple words go over the heads of Bonner and sad to say dice and blair. If I could have Fab back knowing that he would get minutes next to Tim I would be elated.

BillMc
03-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Lighten up on Oberto.

As I said, this wasn't about Oberto it was about D-rob completing the image. He did his job and did it well.

timtonymanu
03-06-2010, 06:46 PM

[/CoB rant]

Amen. Hill and Bogans dont even come close. Hill has overrated inconsistent defense. Bogans ditto. Bruce brought it every night. Players light us up now because Bruce is gone. And damn it retire his jersey asap.

Man i miss the old days when the spurs had a consistent finishing 5. Maybe that's why the Spurs failed to win close games this year. Manu, Tony, Bruce, Tim, Oberto was a great five for the 07 run.

angelbelow
03-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Hill defense is overrated. He's good but on some nights he sucks

Bruce had it on a GREAT level every game

Hill young and has the potential though no? IMO Bowens defense peaked from 30-34 years of age with 35-37 still being above average. Hill is 24 or 25?

FeZZy
03-06-2010, 07:22 PM
nope