PDA

View Full Version : Strategy with Spurs Big

Flux451
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM
I got home after my late show and flipped the dvr to watch the Spurs game. It brought me straight to the 1st quarter action where Bonner was playing. Immediately I was like "*&&^%$##%!." Then I realized that the reason he is playing is because Spurs are going to actually need him come playoff time. He may not see big minutes, but he will balance out Blair's lack of PT due to foul trouble which is evident at this point.
It makes sense to get Bonner involved and going before the playoffs. Who knows if Dice will hold up? Mahimi isn't ready, mostly due to lack of PT. In theory he should get burn to before the playoffs to give him a chance. If we play LA we will need a guy with his height...even if we don't plan on winning that series, we should still make it tough for them.
I also saw Bonner being aggressive as ever. He made a bone-head mistake with the turnover but he seemed to be more focused this game. He stayed aggressive with West when he played and his stroke is looking better. I also like how he has developed his dribbling to penetrate when he cover at the 3.
Pop's management of minutes for all the bigs is looking better. Duncan looks great right now. His stroke last night looked better than we have seen in last few weeks. I expect to see him turn it up.

ohmwrecker
03-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Unfortunately, you are right. We are going to need Bonner to step up BIG TIME in the playoffs. As woefully inadequate a defender as Bonner is, the Spurs just don't have any other options than to give him significant minutes.
Even if we are fortunate enough to have the big three maintain their current level of health, Jefferson and McDyess play beyond what they have given us all year and Blair and Hill play beyond their experience level, Bonner will still need to contribute on a higher level as well.
The Spurs only real shot at success in the playoffs hinges on everything clicking at the right time while other teams start to burn out a little. The Lakers, Nuggets and Jazz are all starting to show some chinks in the armor that we can, hopefully, take advantage of. The Mavericks, however, are starting to look like the team to beat.
I am not a big fan of dodging certain match-ups, but if we can draw a team in the first round that is showing their weaknesses then it might be just enough to build some momentum moving forward.
If not, I think the Spurs are going to be at a huge disadvantage going in to post-season play. It's going to be interesting to say the least.

SequSpur
03-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Bonner and Playoffs?

:lmao

I am sorry guys, but come on..

The best thing is to get Ian some run....Duncan can't block a shot either.

Ian can't even walk straight...

EricB
03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Bonner played damn good D on West last night and a damn good game overall.

Despite what the all knowing dumbshits think.

Flux451
03-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Bonner and Playoffs?

:lmao

I am sorry guys, but come on..

The best thing is to get Ian some run....Duncan can't block a shot either.

Ian can't even walk straight...

I am sorry guys...but he will have a play plus he will have to play well and aggressive to help the Spurs advance. Don't take this as a sole reliance on him but he is a piece that Spurs have and that Spurs will have to utilize to help win.

Ian is important too. I agree. He needs burn in all of these remaining games IMO. The idea behind my first post was to show possiblities we may face and the reasons Bonner needs to be in the rotation. Like it or not. We need him to play his best, whether it 5 mins or 20 mins.

Flux451
03-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I am not a big fan of dodging certain match-ups, but if we can draw a team in the first round that is showing their weaknesses then it might be just enough to build some momentum moving forward.
If not, I think the Spurs are going to be at a huge disadvantage going in to post-season play. It's going to be interesting to say the least.

I was thinking about this when watching the game and they showed the standings. I was looking at Denver as the best first opponent. It would be tough and aggro, but I think Spurs match up decent with them. Dallas, LA, and Utah are definitely bad matchups. It may be possible we play either Suns or OK as a 4 vs 5 seed, which is better then previous three mentioned.

SenorSpur
03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
If Pop, or anyone else, thinks the Spurs will get any type of solid production from Bonner in the playoffs, think again. Besides, he's given you 2 years worth of sample data to counter your thoughts.

Flux451
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
If Pop, or anyone else, thinks the Spurs will get any type of solid production from Bonner in the playoffs, think again. Besides, he's given you 2 years worth of sample data to counter your thoughts.

eh...if this were his twilight years I would agree, but 5 years in the NBA still gives you an opportunity to make something happen. I am not a huge fan of him, but his aggressiveness and shot is all we need in a limited role. If Blair wasn't so foul prone I would have second guessed the idea.

spurtech09
03-06-2010, 02:03 PM
bonner played better good last night against the hornets.....now only if Ian can get some mins

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Bonner played damn good D on West last night and a damn good game overall.

Despite what the all knowing dumbshits think.

Let me explain this so maybe even you can understand it.

Bonner IS a good defender, but let's be clear: When you have a three point shooting role player as your first big off the bench to take on the best power forwards in the leauge, you've got a problem. Bonner's defense is for the most part very smart and very sound, but it's ultimately ineffective in the Spurs' system for heavy minutes against starters.

Last night on one play he stayed in front of West and Duncan rotated perfectly, both guys had their hands up, and West tossed in a soft one over Bonner's hands. He doesn't have any combination of length or leaping ability required to block or even change those kids of shots. When you put Bonner and Blair on the floor together it just compounds the problem, and you're really just inviting foul trouble for Blair by doing it.

The Spurs won the game with their offense. There's nothing wrong with being happy about the win but acting like they have no problems with interior defense is foolish. I'm just as hopeful that they can spend the rest of the season outscoring opponents with 60 percent three point shooting, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-06-2010, 03:18 PM
That's the thing, it was nice to win last night, but the opponent FG% is still atrocious. If the Spurs offense wasn't on fire, this team would've lost.

We can't do anything in the playoffs if we keep letting teams shoot 45+ percent from the field.

Memphis should be interesting tonight.

Flux451
03-06-2010, 04:59 PM
There are definitely issue with our defense. This is the year of O. Pop has mentioned it to the likes of we have to shoot well to win. Obviously Spurs don't have big stops like previously. Thats why a guy like Bonner will help this approach.

If you look at Hornets offense last night. It was three men. Collinson, West and Thorton. Those three players can score in bunches. I don't think our team defense countered them at all...same with Houston. Our teams offense was spread out. I think that is the importance in our type of play. Spurs need to bring it as a core.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
There are definitely issue with our defense. This is the year of O. Pop has mentioned it to the likes of we have to shoot well to win. Obviously Spurs don't have big stops like previously. Thats why a guy like Bonner will help this approach.

If you look at Hornets offense last night. It was three men. Collinson, West and Thorton. Those three players can score in bunches. I don't think our team defense countered them at all...same with Houston. Our teams offense was spread out. I think that is the importance in our type of play. Spurs need to bring it as a core.

But if the Spurs can't keep second and third tier guys from putting up big numbers, then I really hope they get eliminated before they have to face guys like Anthony or Bryant.

ChumpDumper
03-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I really hope they get eliminatedSeems like the consensus among many here.

Capt Bringdown
03-06-2010, 07:39 PM
We are going to need Bonner to step up BIG TIME in the playoffs.

When our playoff hopes hinge on Bonner stepping up, we don't have any hope at all.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Seems like the consensus among many here.

Really? Who exactly?

ChumpDumper
03-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Really? Who exactly?Whom did I quote?

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Whom did I quote?

You mean "whom" did you misquote?

ChumpDumper
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
You mean who did you misquote?Nah, it's an accurate quote. There are circumstances in which you wish the Spurs get eliminated in the playoffs. Many seem to share your feelings.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Nah, it's an accurate quote. There are circumstances in which you wish the Spurs get eliminated in the playoffs. Many seem to share your feelings.

Nope, it was a hypothetical and you took a small portion out of context, but if it makes the stupid people feel better to misquote others and act superior, power to them. Have fun, stupid! :toast

ChumpDumper
03-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Nope, it was a hypothetical, but if it makes the stupid people feel better to misquote others and act superior, power to them. Have fun, stupid! :toastThere is no need for me to act superior. Keep wishing the Spurs get eliminated! :toast