PDA

View Full Version : Mahimni, JAG?

jjktkk
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I noticed that there are quite a few folks on ST who are continue to scream for Pop to give Mahimni more playing time. I use to be as well. But I've come to the conclusion that Mahimni will never do anything, but tantalize and tease Spurs fans. I know that Mahimni has lost alot of playing time due to injuries, which is unfortunate, but when do we as fans give up on the idea that a player like Mahimni will never really live up to his potential? Mahimni was drafted in 2005, and other than getting bigger and stronger in the weight room, I haven't seen any sizable progress in his overall game. I've seen flashes and potential, but thats it. I know that some of you will counter that Pop doesn't give Mahimni enough playing time, so how can you really evaluate Mahimni, but the few times that Mahimni does get playing time, its the same old song. Mahimni will make some nice plays, show some really nice athletism, but then Mahimni will drop a pass, make a bad foul, turn the ball over, etc... Now most young guys make these mistakes. Coaches and most knowledgable BB fans expect this, but in order for young guys to earn more playing time, the coaches neeed to see less mistakes and more consistancy and progression. Coaches also need to see from a young guy is passion, tenacity, the drive and hunger, to succeed. I personally don't see that from Mahimni. Where's his passion, his love of the game? I don't see it. Maybe Mahimni needs to go to another team to realize his potential, but IMO, he will never be anything other than what he is now.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
thats not exactly a bold prediction

The Truth #6
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
He plays about a minute of garbage time occasionally. I don't see how we can glean much from that either way - however, I still think he should have been given a shot. The sandwich blogger got to make plenty of mistakes over the past few years. It's up to Pop and his quirky decision making.

BillMc
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I generally agree with you. While many of us (and at times me) love the "grass is greener" effect to Ian, Pop and the Spurs players see it in practice. Pop doesn't want to lose and I am sure if Ian would show he knows what he's doing he'd get some time. We the fan's see only a small percentage. I think Tony, his country man, even admitted it didn't look too good for Ian. (He was talking about Ian getting his contract extended, but there was nothing in Ian's play that made Tony stick up for him.) I wish Ian well, and, yes, every FO makes mistakes. But seeing how quickly Blair has stepped in front of him in the Big rotation, you just get the feeling Ian must not show it in practice. Maybe, a change of teams will help him. Or maybe he'll be playing in Europe in 3 years. Who knows.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Just make sure to write off anything good he does as either being in garbage time or against the Nets, and also just ignore that the Spurs didn't pick up his option and seem to think Richard Jefferson is a more effective center to put up against Amare, and everything will be fine.

Hairston also hasn't shown anything this year, aside from being better in preseason than Bogans in every way. This is in no way pattern forming so please make sure not to draw any conclusions from Pop's unwillingness to play young guys, guys who can defend, or guys over 6'10" and the corresponding rise in opponent field goal percentage.

Since the things that are happening now are the same things Pop did with George Hill last year, I'm not even sure why we continue to have the same arguments.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I generally agree with you. While many of us (and at times me) love the "grass is greener" effect to Ian, Pop and the Spurs players see it in practice.

In my case it's a "the grass is on fire" effect and at some point you need to throw whatever you've got at it to see if it helps.

objective
03-06-2010, 03:44 PM
what does Mahinmi have to do with that Navy tv show?

exstatic
03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Just make sure to write off anything good he does as either being in garbage time or against the Nets, and also just ignore that the Spurs didn't pick up his option and seem to think Richard Jefferson is a more effective center to put up against Amare, and everything will be fine.

Hairston also hasn't shown anything this year, aside from being better in preseason than Bogans in every way. This is in no way pattern forming so please make sure not to draw any conclusions from Pop's unwillingness to play young guys, guys who can defend, or guys over 6'10" and the corresponding rise in opponent field goal percentage.

Since the things that are happening now are the same things Pop did with George Hill last year, I'm not even sure why we continue to have the same arguments.

Speaking of Hill, he's young and in the rotation. So is Blair. Hmmm. Seems to be a few holes in that argument you're not sure we should continue having.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Speaking of Hill, he's young and in the rotation. So is Blair. Hmmm. Seems to be a few holes in that argument you're not sure we should continue having.

The only hole is in your reading comprehension.

Hill was inexplicably benched last year for most of the end of the season. An argument you might have made at that time is, "Well he can't play or Pop would play him."

Blair was inexplicably not starting at the beginning of the season when he looked great and everyone else stunk on ice. An argument you might have made at that time is, "Well he can't play or Pop would play him."

A case can be (and is often) made that Blair still doesn't get enough minutes for what he contributes. There's ample evidence that Pop takes a long time to come around when young players are involved, and there's zero evidence that their ability to play makes any difference either way.

exstatic
03-06-2010, 07:36 PM
The only hole is in your reading comprehension.

Hill was inexplicably benched last year for most of the end of the season. An argument you might have made at that time is, "Well he can't play or Pop would play him."

Blair was inexplicably not starting at the beginning of the season when he looked great and everyone else stunk on ice. An argument you might have made at that time is, "Well he can't play or Pop would play him."

A case can be (and is often) made that Blair still doesn't get enough minutes for what he contributes. There's ample evidence that Pop takes a long time to come around when young players are involved, and there's zero evidence that their ability to play makes any difference either way.

I'd like to see Blair play more, but with his knees, he's never going to be a 35 minute player. Think: Manu minutes.

The situation with Hill last year and the players you're crying about this year aren't really the same at all. They're not playing. Hill played, and played a lot. For whatever reason, rookie wall, pressing, whatever, his play dropped late in the year. Pop curtailed his minutes, which he as since admitted was a mistake. What I would like to see is ONE OF YOU FUCKING PEOPLE acknowledge that admission.

Pop plays young players. They have to understand the game and play within the system. Then he'll play them.

jag
03-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Pop has tried every lineup under the sun. He's tinkered with Roger Mason and Michael Finley playing power forward. There comes a point when you'd just like to see what Ian can do when given consistent floor time. My expectations are low. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be nothing more than an uncoordinated foul-machine. And i'd definitely be surprised if he turned out to be a consistent, athletic big who can contribute on the defensive end...but i'd like to see him given the chance to surprise.

DAF86
03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
i'd like to see him given the chance to improve.

Fix

jag
03-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Fix

that would be nice, too

Obstructed_View
03-06-2010, 09:38 PM
I'd like to see Blair play more, but with his knees, he's never going to be a 35 minute player. Think: Manu minutes.
What's wrong with his knees? How many games did he miss in college? How many games has he missed this year? What are you saving him for anyway if he's the best guy to be playing?

The situation with Hill last year and the players you're crying about this year aren't really the same at all. They're not playing. Hill played, and played a lot. For whatever reason, rookie wall, pressing, whatever, his play dropped late in the year. Pop curtailed his minutes, which he as since admitted was a mistake. What I would like to see is ONE OF YOU FUCKING PEOPLE acknowledge that admission.

"YOU FUCKING PEOPLE" knows it's a mistake, just like "YOU FUCKING PEOPLE" knows it's a mistake that Bogans is playing instead of Hairston. Pop didn't curtail Hill's minutes, he yanked him out of the rotation in favor of Mason at point guard which ruined Mason too. He didn't bring Hill back in until they were getting assraped by Dallas, at which point he admitted the mistake. When you have to say "for whatever reason" and guess, that means there's no logical reason for it, just as there's no logical reason that Bogans plays over Hairston and RJ plays center instead of Mahinmi. Therefore the situations are exactly the same in that respect.

Pop plays young players. They have to understand the game and play within the system. Then he'll play them.
Unless he doesn't want to "for whatever reason".

jjktkk
03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
What's wrong with his knees? How many games did he miss in college? How many games has he missed this year? What are you saving him for anyway if he's the best guy to be playing?

"YOU FUCKING PEOPLE" knows it's a mistake, just like "YOU FUCKING PEOPLE" knows it's a mistake that Bogans is playing instead of Hairston. Pop didn't curtail Hill's minutes, he yanked him out of the rotation in favor of Mason at point guard which ruined Mason too. He didn't bring Hill back in until they were getting assraped by Dallas, at which point he admitted the mistake. When you have to say "for whatever reason" and guess, that means there's no logical reason for it, just as there's no logical reason that Bogans plays over Hairston and RJ plays center instead of Mahinmi. Therefore the situations are exactly the same in that respect.

Unless he doesn't want to "for whatever reason".

OUCH! Now we who disagree with you are "YOU FUCKING PEOPLE". So let me get this straight. You want Pop to be perfect right? Hes not allowed to make a mistake? And if Pop doesn't give you his reasoning with who plays and who doesn't it just can't be logical. And OV you've stooped to a new low by making up shit like Pop starting RJ at the center spot. I bet you got a picture of Pop at home on your dartboard huh?

Obstructed_View
03-07-2010, 01:13 AM
OUCH! Now we who disagree with you are "YOU FUCKING PEOPLE".

Um, no. Reading comprehension is your friend. "YOU FUCKING PEOPLE" was originally from exstatic and is meant to describe people that think it doesn't make sense that Hairston and Mahinmi can't get any PT. That's why it was in quotation marks (").

So let me get this straight. You want Pop to be perfect right? Hes not allowed to make a mistake?
Once again, if it weren't for strawmen, some of you guys wouldn't have anyone to fight with. I simply want players to play in their actual position like 99.9% of basketball players have been doing since the game was organized. Anyone who thinks they can go against that just because they've got a psychology degree deserves to be called out.

And if Pop doesn't give you his reasoning with who plays and who doesn't it just can't be logical.
It doesn't help that those of you that defend him can't come up with a logical reason for it. Seriously, doesn't "there must be something he sees in practice" or "he's got four rings" get old after a while?

And OV you've stooped to a new low by making up shit like Pop starting RJ at the center spot. I bet you got a picture of Pop at home on your dartboard huh?
Again, I'm not sure where you dreamed that I said he was starting at center, but Jefferson was the center on the floor when the Spurs needed to make a stop against Amare and the Suns only a few days ago. I bet you missed that, huh?

jjktkk
03-07-2010, 02:58 AM
[/QUOTE] It doesn't help that those of you that defend him can't come up with a logical reason for it. Seriously, doesn't "there must be something he sees in practice" or "he's got four rings" get old after a while?

Sure I can. Pop's got a pretty good resume. How can anybody but a idiot think winning 4 championships is old and overated? You hate Pop so much, because he prefers playing veterans over inexpierenced players, but Pop overall won-loss record proves that to be a winning formula. And Pop does play younger players when he deems them ready to play. Hill and Blair are evidence to that. But since he doesn't play your favorite All-Star to be Mahimni enough to satisfy you, then Pop's all of a sudden an idiot and can't coach or evaluate NBA talent . So sorry OV, I'll give Pop the benefit of the doubt that "there must be something he sees in pratice" and that he knows how to evaluate NBA players better than you or I.

Old School 44
03-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Sure I can. Pop's got a pretty good resume. How can anybody but a idiot think winning 4 championships is old and overated? You hate Pop so much, because he prefers playing veterans over inexpierenced players, but Pop overall won-loss record proves that to be a winning formula. And Pop does play younger players when he deems them ready to play. Hill and Blair are evidence to that. But since he doesn't play your favorite All-Star to be Mahimni enough to satisfy you, then Pop's all of a sudden an idiot and can't coach or evaluate NBA talent . So sorry OV, I'll give Pop the benefit of the doubt that "there must be something he sees in pratice" and that he knows how to evaluate NBA players better than you or I.

It always makes me laugh when anybody suggest Mahinmi plays, this argument is thrown out...Mahinmi the "all star" the "savior".
I just want him to have a reasonable chance to see what he could do. I don't think he's ever gotten it. That's all. Maybe he could help improve one of our glaring issues, interior D.

I could see if you could tell me without a doubt that everyone in front of him in the rotation is better. On top of that, some of these guys have been injured. So how many minutes did he get during these times?
Not many. And the time he did get was, for the most part, garbage time which really doesn't show anything one way or the other.

FeZZy
03-07-2010, 04:45 AM
HAHA truth

raspsa
03-07-2010, 05:52 AM
He reminds me of Michael Olowakandi.

G-Dawgg
03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
He reminds me of an elementary school player... you'd figure after being brought along SLOWLY he'd learn some basic fundamental skills like not traveling, not fouling or just generally how to NOT turn the ball over... but I guess no matter what kind of physical specimen he is, or how athletic the person is, if he doesn't have the capacity to learn these little things over a span of 5 years, then I don't blame Popovich for benching his useless ass... to be honest if I was Popovich I'd be soooo pissed at him, I'd probably make him sit in the locker room and not even on the bench....

Mahinmi is a fouler and turnover prone and he'd be sooo lucky to get any court time with an organization like the Spurs... maybe he'd get a chance to develop if he was in new jersey where they pretty much forfeited their season..ACTUALLY.. wait a minute... hmmm... aren't we kind of in that same position now that Parker is injured....... you guys might actually get your wish and see this scrub get some court burn yet......to be honest it would be nice if you could become the savior of this season, but c'mon people realistically he's way too far behind in his development and he's not gonna help us in our last 20 games of the season. Let De Juan actually DO SOMETHING with the minutes that people would like Mahinmi to have...

cherylsteele
03-07-2010, 12:56 PM
He reminds me of Michael Olowakandi.
Candy Man at least got a chance to play consistent minutes though.

He reminds me of an elementary school player... you'd figure after being brought along SLOWLY he'd learn some basic fundamental skills like not traveling, not fouling or just generally how to NOT turn the ball over... but I guess no matter what kind of physical specimen he is, or how athletic the person is, if he doesn't have the capacity to learn these little things over a span of 5 years, then I don't blame Popovich for benching his useless ass... to be honest if I was Popovich I'd be soooo pissed at him, I'd probably make him sit in the locker room and not even on the bench....

Mahinmi is a fouler and turnover prone and he'd be sooo lucky to get any court time with an organization like the Spurs... maybe he'd get a chance to develop if he was in new jersey where they pretty much forfeited their season..ACTUALLY.. wait a minute... hmmm... aren't we kind of in that same position now that Parker is injured....... you guys might actually get your wish and see this scrub get some court burn yet......to be honest it would be nice if you could become the savior of this season, but c'mon people realistically he's way too far behind in his development and he's not gonna help us in our last 20 games of the season. Let De Juan actually DO SOMETHING with the minutes that people would like Mahinmi to have...
What do you base this on, he has played only 62 Minutes all season, he has averaged only 1.4 fouls per game this year, his FG% is 73% though. He has yet had a decent chance to get very comfortable on the court the show what he can really do.