PDA

View Full Version : Ellis: Ocean of Reality

Kori Ellis
05-02-2005, 09:51 AM
By LJ Ellis
SpursZONE.com

Ah, early May. A time in San Antonio when the weather heats up, the hangover from Fiesta wears off and the Spurs dispose of their first round opponent. All three events take place with almost clock-like precision.

This year, however, things are a little different. The temperature is struggling to hit 90 degrees and the Spurs are finding their first round opponent to be more challenging than the usual fodder they find early in the playoffs. While Fiesta did indeed end on time, the Spurs look like they’ll have to work a little extra to get rid of the pesky Denver Nuggets.

The Nuggets came to the SBC Center and stole game one. San Antonio couldn’t buy a basket in the fourth and the Nuggets took advantage, stealing the homecourt advantage. The Spurs responded by blasting the Nuggets in game two, tying the series at one apiece.

On Saturday, the Spurs recaptured homecourt with a rough and rugged win in Denver in front of more than 19,000 rabid Nuggets fans at the Pepsi Center. Manu Ginobili took over, scoring 32 points on an assortment of timely outside shots and aggressive drives to the hoop.

Following the game, Denver’s head coach George Karl wept openly about how Ginobili plays ugly basketball. While it’s never pretty watching a grown man cry, it’s quite funny watching Karl try to squirm out of the hole in which he’s found himself.

Not long ago, Karl was the talk of Colorado. The basketball gods had sent him to Denver to transform their team from a lottery-bound group of misfits to a possible title contender. Or at least that’s what Denver natives thought.

Now the truth that is the NBA playoffs is rearing its ugly head for the Nuggets and their fans. Gone are the days of running up 120 point games like the days of Showtime never left. Enter defense. And not just any defense, San Antonio Spurs championship defense.

This sudden jolt back to reality not only has Karl pointing fingers at everything that isn’t tied down, it has Denver journalists searching for answers. These journalists, while quite possibly a sane lot in normal circumstances, have produced laughable opinions in their desperate state.

Denver Post columnist Mark Kiszla has called for a bounty to be placed on Ginobili’s head. He also calls for the Nuggets to use a lineup of Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin, Nene, Carmelo Anthony and Andre Miller to attack the Spurs.

The call for a bounty on Ginobili’s head is disgusting, while the lineup he proposes is equally absurd. If Denver thought that Ginobili had an easy time before, they’d better get prepared for what could happen when the Spurs’ Argentinean sensation is guarded by Anthony. Anthony, for as talented as he is offensively, hasn’t played anything that remotely resembles defense since … well, ever.

Another Denver scribe, Bernie Lincicome, is begging for the Nuggets to not allow Ginobili to beat them. You see, this is the journalist who lambasted Ginobili earlier in the season, calling him out for not being a true All-Star. Anthony was snubbed, he said, and Ginobili didn’t belong in the game featuring the best of the best.

Now with Ginobili averaging 24 points per game and Anthony failing to score more than 19 points in any of the three contests, it’s quite humorous to read Lincicome backtrack and plead for the Nuggets to intervene and save whatever credibility he has left.

The Spurs have had their share of cocky first round opponents over the years, but never have they had to face a team and city that thought they had legitimate championship hopes. The Nuggets were the hottest thing going coming into these playoffs and now the Spurs – playing the role of spoiler – have knocked reality back into the people of Denver.

If the Spurs can win game four Monday night, what will be in store? Denver journalists calling for an all-out assassination of Ginobili? What about a scintillating super small lineup featuring Earl Boykins at center?

Let’s hope we find out. Then, San Antonio can enjoy the good weather, reminisce about Fiesta and watch a city 800 miles to its north drown in a sea of tears and an ocean of reality.

whottt
05-02-2005, 10:00 AM
:tu

Fuckin awesome article...you really bought the Jeep not the Kia on that one ;).

IX_Equilibrium
05-02-2005, 10:00 AM
By LJ Ellis
SpursZONE.com

Another Denver scribe, Bernie Lincicome, is begging for the Nuggets to not allow Ginobili to beat them. You see, this is the journalist who lambasted Ginobili earlier in the season, calling him out for not being a true All-Star. Anthony was snubbed, he said, and Ginobili didn’t belong in the game featuring the best of the best.

Now with Ginobili averaging 24 points per game and Anthony failing to score more than 19 points in any of the three contests, it’s quite humorous to read Lincicome backtrack and plead for the Nuggets to intervene and save whatever credibility he has left.

That is just......beautiful.

whottt
05-02-2005, 10:04 AM
If the Spurs can win game four Monday night, what will be in store? Denver journalists calling for an all-out assassination of Ginobili? What about a scintillating super small lineup featuring Earl Boykins at center?

:lol

MadDog73
05-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Sorry I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it.

It's LJ's article not mine.

--Kori

GrandeDavid
05-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Awesome article, LJ! Please email it to all those Denver writers!

CosmicCowboy
05-02-2005, 10:10 AM
sweeeeeeeeet!

MadDog73
05-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Sorry I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it.

It's LJ's article not mine.

--Kori
:oops

That'll teach me to read more carefully!

Well, great job LJ! I'm glad you took the high road, unlike those other "journalists".

Kori Ellis
05-02-2005, 10:12 AM
:oops

That'll teach me to read more carefully!

Well, great job LJ! I'm glad you took the high road, unlike those other "journalists".

And it will teach me to hit the right button when quoting :lol

Sorry!

BigVee
05-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Dude,

Awesome analysis and response to those GD MFing crybabies in Colorado. Props.

Hook Dem
05-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Best article to date!!!!!!!! :elephant

Useruser666
05-02-2005, 10:34 AM
And it will teach me to hit the right button when quoting :lol

Sorry!

If you were God, somebody would have been struck by lightning! :lol

polandprzem
05-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Good respond to those Denver Post "writers"

SPURSCHAMPS
05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
The Spurs have had their share of cocky first round opponents over the years, but never have they had to face a team and city that thought they had legitimate championship hopes. The Nuggets were the hottest thing going coming into these playoffs and now the Spurs – playing the role of spoiler – have knocked reality back into the people of Denver.

COOL! Let Denver talk the talks while Spurs walk the walks.

ca®lo
05-02-2005, 11:15 AM
good one!! very nice! :)

Manu20
05-02-2005, 11:20 AM
:tu

Great Article LJ!

EasilyAmused
05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
*stands up* http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/Sweetmelody06/smilies/clap.gif

Phenomanul
05-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Do those beat writers have access to your article????

Kori Ellis
05-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Yes it's the lead story at http://www.woai.com/spurs

Phenomanul
05-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Yes it's the lead story at http://www.woai.com/spurs

Cool then... let them sink further in their boat of dignity...

Kori Ellis
05-02-2005, 11:59 AM
The article is on http://www.spurs.com now in the Spurs Infocenter box with the latest Spurs news. So it will get plenty of hits.

timvp
05-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the props.

Win game four and end this on Wednesday at home.

Believe.

MadDog73
05-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the props.

Win game four and end this on Wednesday at home.

Believe.

Hell yeah. I said Spurs in 6, but I hope I'm wrong and they do it in 5.

Let the Kings and Sonics, Mavs and Rockets go to 7 games.

slayermin
05-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Nice article.

I wonder if the Chuckster has an email address. He's probably the only guy that would call out these Denver writers on behalf of the Spurs.

travis2
05-02-2005, 12:29 PM
"That'll do, donkey...that'll do..." :lol

Nice one, LJ...:)

SpursWoman
05-02-2005, 12:29 PM
^5, LJ!

:lmao

Slo spurs fan
05-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I will put this article on the wall in my living room!!! :smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
05-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Great article Mr. Ellis.

Calling for a bounty on Ginobili should be illegal, or some kind of adjustment must be made...
i swear to god if they foul ginobili excessively hard tonight and that person does not get ejected, i'm going to hunt down that reporter myself...hell i have nothing to lose

This is BS, first of all the entire denver fanbase expressed their immaturity with their words during the game

then Karl shows how big of a baby he is

now the denver media is being a bunch of sissies and calling for violence against someone?

How fucking delusional could they possibly have been???

Ocotillo
05-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Nice article.

If you stop and think about it, if the Spurs had not gone ice cold shootingwise in the 4th quarter of the first game......Spurs fans could talk about bringing out the brooms.

Where are those bridge jumpers today?

Slomo
05-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Niiiiiice!

TNT21
05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Wow, great article, for a moderator, you're one hell of a reporter!! Keep it up!

Phenomanul
05-02-2005, 01:18 PM
.... and...for a reporter, she's one hell of a moderator.... :angel

Long live the princess!!! :princess :princess :princess

and

Hip...Hip to the King!!! :king :king :king

who I later found out actually authored the article...

SPARKY
05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
your article is so AWESOME. IMO :hat

Solid D
05-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Nice work, LJ.

I was out today and heard Cheryl Miller interviewed on Fox Radio. Van Earl Wright asked her if Manu Ginobili is a Top 5 player in the NBA. Her response was interesting. She said most certainly, "Manu is a Top 5 player in the playoffs so far, but for the season I'd say he's definitely Top 10."

T Park
05-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Typically great article from the pimp.

Good job Bro, you need a job with the sporting news.... :smokin

SPARKY
05-02-2005, 03:54 PM
TPark would you refer to him as "the pimp" if he was as white as you?

SPARKY
05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Ok Larry Cochell, whatever you say.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Awesome article, except for one thing.

The Spurs have had their share of cocky first round opponents over the years, but never have they had to face a team and city that thought they had legitimate championship hopes.

I don't really think that's accurate.

ladiesman
05-02-2005, 04:05 PM
They do think themselves as title contenters... I do not know if it will still be there, but look at the scorers table... They have the "16 game countdown to a championship with the 16 x-out" ala Pistons last year....

Great article Kori, it will be interesting to see what kind of e-mails you get from nugget fans...

ladiesman

Kori Ellis
05-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Great article Kori, it will be interesting to see what kind of e-mails you get from nugget fans...

ladiesman

I didn't write it, timvp did. But so far, we have only received positive email.

Ishta
05-02-2005, 04:11 PM
This is a freaking great article. Great Job!
Believe

smeagol
05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Believe.
I have never stopped believing.

By the way, great article. You should move to Colorado. They are in need of good sports columnists over there.

tlongII
05-02-2005, 04:51 PM
This article will look rather homeristic if the Nuggets win game 4, don't you think?

baseline bum
05-02-2005, 04:52 PM
That is hardcore.... :lol

What first round opponetns are you referring to, MaNuMaNiA?

Certainly not Phoenix in 98, 2000, or 2003... Minnesota knew they weren't there in 99 or 2001. Seattle in 2002? Definitely not Memphis, who was happy just to have been in the playoffs.

red kryptonite
05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
deft article.

nobody knows spurs basketball better.

i'd seriously recommend LJE for a scout position or GM.

not kidding.

he was above legions of pens a long time ago.

xcoriate
05-02-2005, 06:21 PM
whoah, kicking ass and taking names I see.

Nice article, a very good read.

Props to you LJ

fonzy16
05-02-2005, 06:35 PM
:tu :king :tu

now lets kick their asses out of playoffs!

GO SPURS GO!!!