PDA

View Full Version : Source: Ben Wallace wins Defensive Player of the Year

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 10:43 AM
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
May 2, 2005
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Pistons center Ben Wallace won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award for the third time in four years, a source within the league said Monday.

The Pistons scheduled an afternoon news conference, and the source, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity, said Wallace would be presented with the award at that time.

Wallace also won it in 2002 and 2003.

ADVERTISEMENT

During the regular season, he ranked fifth with 2.38 blocks per game, second with 12.2 rebounds a game and 23rd with 1.43 steals a game. The 6-foot-9, 240-pound Wallace ranks second in the playoffs with three blocks a game.

The defending champion Pistons will try to clinch their first-round series against Philadelphia when they host Game 5 against the 76ers on Tuesday.

Philadelphia coach Jim O'Brien has marveled at Wallace's ability to pressure players rebounding the ball, then harass the point guard as he dribbles up the court.

Wallace drew a charge near the Sixers' basket on such a sequence in Philadelphia against 6-foot, 165-pound Allen Iverson, one of the NBA's quickest players.

Updated on Monday, May 2, 2005 11:30 am

Tobias
05-02-2005, 10:46 AM
bull shit.

Spurminator
05-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Lazy vote.

Kori Ellis
05-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I feel better with him winning it than Camby.

I wonder why the Detroit News reported that Wallace was told by the Pistons that he didn't win it. :wtf

Taco
05-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Next year Bruce needs to get into a fight and get suspended then he'll be a DPOY for sure

(This is Sarcasm for those of you scoring at home)

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Next year Bruce needs to get into a fight and get suspended then he'll be a DPOY for sure

(This is Sarcasm for those of you scoring at home)
taco cracks me up...

bruce will never win dpoy. i'm sure he could care less... he just wants a ring.

nkdlunch
05-02-2005, 11:31 AM
taco cracks me up...

bruce will never win dpoy. i'm sure he could care less... he just wants a ring.

Yes. According to the media and nba, Spurs are gonna be the NBA's Ugly basketball playing-not allstar deserving-dirty defending-desperate housewife posing-constant flopping CHAMPIONS!!!!

msufan420
05-02-2005, 11:35 AM
There is not a player in the NBA who deserves it more...if you think otherwise you're just fooling yourselves. Big ups to Ben!

IX_Equilibrium
05-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Bowen got robbed

Jimcs50
05-02-2005, 11:38 AM
There is not a player in the NBA who deserves it more...if you think otherwise you're just fooling yourselves. Big ups to Ben!

bullshit, anyone can stand in the paint and block shots and rebound.

FearDaFro
05-02-2005, 11:51 AM
bullshit, anyone can stand in the paint and block shots and rebound.

But nobody does both better than Ben.

Nevermind that he can get out and pressure point guards at halfcourt. Find another center that can do that.

He's had about 150 consecutive games with at least 1 block or 1 steal. right behind him is Iverson........at about 80.

I really didnt care who won the award, so long as it wasn't Camby.

spurster
05-02-2005, 11:54 AM
You are too easy a mark for The Dentist.

polandprzem
05-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Bowen got robbed

that's right.

Damn, not this year for Bowen none year for Bowen.

tlongII
05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Bowen doesn't play basketball and therefore is ineligible for the award.

Jimcs50
05-02-2005, 12:38 PM

:lol

Obstructed_View
05-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Not at all surprising. Bowen will never win it, but not because he isn't the best defender in the league.

I think the fact that fans of other teams come in here and bitch about Bowen is a testament to what a good defender he is. Bowen's absolutely schooling Carmelo in this series to the point that they think he must be doing something dirty, even though he's about the seventh dirtiest player in this series. Wallace is a great defender, and he's a good guy. I'd rather he wins it than Camby.

waly.mg
05-02-2005, 12:47 PM

Yes, the defensive Player of the year is the Award for that does not allow the rivals to play basketball

Surely Dennis Rodman didnīt play Basketball

Probably you donīt know what is basketball.

Basketball is a game that plays in the 2 sides, in Offense and in Defense

If you like to only play offense, instead of in the NBA you must prove luck in the Harlem Globetrotters

:fro :fro :fro :fro :fro

picnroll
05-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I think Prince is a better choice than Wallace.

exstatic
05-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I'll wait for the league announcement. So far, the leaks have Big Ben both winning and not winning the award. :lol

bigzak25
05-02-2005, 12:56 PM
dissappointing, but not unexpected.

originally, this was TD's award.

injury nixed that.

do we get to see the final tallies after the fact?

i would hope bruce and td split votes which caused it to default to Ben.

Congrats to Wallace, see you in the Finals if you make it. :smokin

Bandit2981
05-02-2005, 12:59 PM
i think Tayshaun Prince is more deserving of the award than Wallace, especially since Ben incited the whole brawl and then got suspended. Lazy vote is right.

Ocotillo
05-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Memo to Pop: Tack this article to the bulletin board along with a photo of Carmelo.

exstatic
05-02-2005, 01:03 PM
They should just rename this award The Shotblocker of the Year award. That's what it's pretty much devolved into.

exstatic
05-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Oh, and I'd love to see Ben's stats vs. the West. I'd bet they're not even close, and that he's a Eastern Conference stat padder...

Obstructed_View
05-02-2005, 01:10 PM
I'll wait for the league announcement. So far, the leaks have Big Ben both winning and not winning the award. :lol
NBA.com has it on their page, saying there's a live press conference now.

FearDaFro
05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh, and I'd love to see Ben's stats vs. the West. I'd bet they're not even close, and that he's a Eastern Conference stat padder...

Yeah, The Pistons lucked out last year by playing nothing but eastern conference teams on their way to the title....

FearDaFro
05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
They should just rename this award The Shotblocker of the Year award. That's what it's pretty much devolved into.

I wasnt aware Ron Artest was such an awesome shotblocker.....

kolko
05-02-2005, 01:41 PM
AWARDS SCHEDULE

Defensive Player: Ben Wallace
Sixth Man Award: Tues., May 3
got milk? Rookie: Wed., May 4
Most Valuable Player: TBD
Coach of the Year: TBD
Most Improved Player: Bobby Simmons
Kennedy Citzenship: Eric Snow

Manu20
05-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Congrats to Ben Wallace. At least Camby did not win it.

kolko
05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Wallace received 339 points, including 45 first-place votes, from a panel of 125 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Players were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote received. San Antonio’s Bruce Bowen finished second with 247 points and Denver’s Marcus Camby finished third with 168 points.

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 01:45 PM
one thing that is funny is you don't hear players crying about wallace guarding them like you hear about bruce..

oh well, we have a game to win tonight

SPARKY
05-02-2005, 01:53 PM
http://www.basket-plus.com/images/NBA/Allen_Bowen.jpghttp://deseretnews.com/photos/1787536.jpghttp://marca.recoletos.es/marca_usa/nba/fotos_nba/sanantoniospurs/bruce_bowen.jpg

SAN ANTONIO AGAINST THE WORLD

Obstructed_View
05-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Ben Wallace is an awesome defender but they should probably change the name of the award to "great player with no offensive skillz"

King
05-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Ben Wallace is an awesome defender but they should probably change the name of the award to "great player with no offensive skillz"

Not sure if you're digging on Wallace with this, but renaming it that would include Bowen more than ever before.

FearDaFro
05-02-2005, 02:11 PM

Must be how Jordan, Robinson, Artest, Olajuwon, Payton and Mourning won the award. You know, because they have no offensive skills.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Not sure if you're digging on Wallace with this, but renaming it that would include Bowen more than ever before.
I was digging on Wallace and Bowen for it. It was just a joke.

polandprzem
05-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Ipossible! Frickin' Big Ben. I realy do not understand that. Well I understand. :pctoss:

where is Whott? Give us some Bowen's defensive numbers. Could you?

polandprzem
05-02-2005, 03:36 PM
And I wanna hear Pops reaction.

Could be interesting

1Parker1
05-02-2005, 03:45 PM
That is very unfair. I was sure Bowen would get it this year. I may not know all the technical things/strategies behind a good defensive player, but anyone with eyes can see that Bowen has awesome footwork and really understands and studies the opposing player's every move.

We wouldn't be the #1 defensive team in the league without him. Wallace is a good defender too, but he's recieved the award what 3 times now? Plus he's in the weak East...I hope Bowen comes out strong tonight and outscores Carmelo by 20 points and limits him to 5-17 shooting :)

T Park
05-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Funny, cause Duncan eats Ben wallace for lunch and Dinner every time.

What a joke.

Uhhh he blocks a couple shots and gets 8 boards a game, ok hes a good defender.

Going by that, Nazr Mohammed is just as good a defender.

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 03:53 PM
F defensive player of the year. Bowen wont have the strength to lift that award anyway when he is wearing his '05 Championship ring.

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Funny, cause Duncan eats Ben wallace for lunch and Dinner every time.

What a joke.

Uhhh he blocks a couple shots and gets 8 boards a game, ok hes a good defender.

Going by that, Nazr Mohammed is just as good a defender.

8 boards a game? Seriously, stop....

T Park
05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
oh sorry 10.

Nazr Mohammed with the Spurs averages when healthy 10 a game easily.

Once again, tell me how it's different.

msufan420
05-02-2005, 03:56 PM
12.2 to be exact...2nd in the league.

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 03:57 PM
12.2 to be exact...2nd in the league.

T Park = OWN3D :spin

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
oh sorry 10.

Nazr Mohammed with the Spurs averages when healthy 10 a game easily.

Once again, tell me how it's different.

I like Nazr and all but comparing him to Ben Wallace is like comparing Miguel Tejada to Jordan. "It aint even the same M'fing sport."

Ben Wallace bring it every night and is one of the most consistent players in the NBA. He anchors a defense and every team in the league has to account for him. Nazr has made great strides but mcuh like a few other Spurs the consistency just isnt there yet. I am not saying it never will but but, it aint right now.

Besides, Nazr could average 18 rebounds a game and he still wouldnt be half the defender Wallace is. Just stop already.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Those NBA awards are one big joke!!! :lol :lol :lol

Supergirl
05-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Not that Bruce gives a shit, but this is pretty messed up.
Wallace is a great defender, but he's got an easier job than Bowen. Multiple players on the Spurs (Bowen, MAnu, Duncan), the Pistons (Ben, Tayshaun, Chauncey), the Bulls (Curry, Chandler), and the Rockets (Ryan Bowen, Yao) could be candidates for DPOY - that's why they're all the best defensive teams. Shaq always deserves consideration, but he will probably get MVP, so that trumps DPOY.

But Bowen is the best man to man perimeter defender in the league, and the most consistant, night after night.

He was robbed, for the umpteenth year in a row.

Jdspur20
05-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Those NBA awards are one big joke!!! :lol :lol :lol

exactly, congrats to big ben. the spurs have bigger fish to fry.

Tek_XX
05-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Someone should cue the video of Duncan showing Wallace where he can put his DPOY award.

Pandaemonaeon
05-02-2005, 04:48 PM
what

I didn't see this one coming.

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 04:52 PM
the Bulls Curry

Say what? The biggest knock on that kid is the fact he plays NO defense and doesnt rebound. No wonder the Bulls have played lights out since he went out with the heart problem. He was most likely about to lose his starting C job to Harrington anyway. Curry has a mad offensive tool set but his defense and rebounding are terrible.

The reason the Bulls are so good on defense is the same reason the Spurs are. Its a concept the entire team buys into and understands. No one player really stands out above the other on the Bulls. Chadler is a friggin beast on the boards though.

IcemanCometh
05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
anyone can stand in the paint and block shots and rebound tell that to rasho.

T Park
05-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I like Nazr and all but comparing him to Ben Wallace is like comparing Miguel Tejada to Jordan. "It aint even the same M'fing sport."

Uhhh, huh!?!?!?

Owned?? whatever..

T Park
05-02-2005, 05:03 PM
tell that to rasho

7 points a block or two in 17 minutes.

What is there to tell Rasho there tough guy?

kolko
05-02-2005, 05:36 PM
http://img214.echo.cx/img214/948/results5ic.jpg

Phenomanul
05-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Ginobili got two votes.....

Just another thing that establishes his all-around game...

HB22inSA
05-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Complete Bulls*&t!!!

exstatic
05-02-2005, 07:07 PM
I wasnt aware Ron Artest was such an awesome shotblocker.....

Look at the history of the award. It's primarily won by big men, hence the expression "pretty much" in my original post. I like Big Ben, but this wasn't one of his better years, and he already has two of the fuckers on his trophy shelf.

ceds
05-02-2005, 08:41 PM
I would take Shaq, TD and Mings defensive presence over Wallace anyday

I think Sheed is Detroits best interior defender. B wallace just gets the numbers

SenorSpur
05-04-2005, 02:00 PM
What's up with Ben Wallace being named Defensive Player of the Year - again? See the article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2051570

Here are a few reasons why he should have won:

- One of the two best defenders on the league's best defensive team

- Always guards the opposition's best offensive player (with great success)

- Drawn the ire of many of the leagues top scorers because of his ability to "shut them down", "limit their opportunities" and frustrate them. Negative publicity is still pub.

If someone calculated the scoring averages of all the opposing players he's guarded throughout the year and compare that to their scoring averages against the rest of the league, it would build a strong case.

I believe Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle took this approach last year in getting Ron Artest additional publicity. Though, I know it not the Spurs style to resort to shameless campaigning and self-promotion.

No disrepect to Ben Wallace because his credentials are always impressive. He could receive this award every year. However, Bruce has had as stellar a year as any perimeter defender. I can't understand why the media would pass him over.

The good news is that Bruce's number of votes is steadily increasing. He came in 4th in the voting last year, 2nd this year. However with Artest serving a season-long suspension, this was Bruce's best year to win it. I doubt now if he ever will.

Another reminder of how the Spurs are typically underrated by the national media and the NBA populace overall. However, we'll have the last laugh when we take home the O'Brien trophy in June.

Go Spurs Go!

Doug Collins
05-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Ben Wallace is the scariest dude I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him he didnt win DPOY, especially if I was a four-eyed jewish midget. The reason Artest won last year was so Wallace would get pissed and take him out for the season. And it worked! Stern knows what's good for his health and that of the league.