PDA

View Full Version : Does our Success this Season effect Tiago Splitter's Decision?

BanditHiro
03-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Do you guys think if we win a championship or go far in the playoffs that it will perhaps make Tiago Splitter's Decision to come to the spurs that much easier, and the opposite if we miss the playoffs or one and done, do you think he will stay away?

or does he just wants money?

Mel_13
03-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Do you guys think if we win a championship or go far in the playoffs that it will perhaps make Tiago Splitter's Decision to come to the spurs that much easier, and the opposite if we miss the playoffs or one and done, do you think he will stay away?

Dollars and Euros will do all the talking.

FeZZy
03-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Maybe but is not like he's the savior guys

mogrovejo
03-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Dollars will do all the talking.

This.

AussieFanKurt
03-07-2010, 04:26 PM
who the fuck cares, he's not the next equivalent to tim duncan or anything close

BanditHiro
03-07-2010, 04:28 PM
who the fuck cares, he's not the next equivalent to tim duncan or anything close

so fuck him... he won't be any good or turn out like Luis Scola?

ohmwrecker
03-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Newsflash! There is no "next" Tim Duncan.

Harry Callahan
03-07-2010, 05:07 PM
The Spurs will welcome any young, big man with some skills with open arms.

The Spurs success or lack thereof this year I don't think will affect his decision to come. A decent offer will and the opportunity for some serious playing time.

You can't tell me the Spurs don't need an infusion of talented young players. I think its safe to say Splitter can be a key contributor here and maybe even grow with Hill, Blair, and next years rookie #1.

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
this is how i see it, his going for the money

as far im concerned the big euro clubs will outpay what we have the spurs have to offer thats MLE....does the nba monitor outside payments from sponsorships or hush hush money under the table?

Harry Callahan
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I still think players want to be considered the best and you do that in the NBA. Playing in Eurpope is very lucrative for select players. I hope Splitter has a desire to play against the best (which he can do here in the States, not over there).

boutons_deux
03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Like Manu will do, Splitter will follow the money.

DPG21920
03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
The only thing that could effect Tiago's decision is the sharpness of his knife.

BlackSwordsMan
03-07-2010, 06:47 PM
when spurs cut manu hopefully they have enough money to sign him

DPG21920
03-07-2010, 06:53 PM
when spurs cut manu hopefully they have enough money to sign him

They will have the same with or without Manu.

Russ
03-07-2010, 07:30 PM

I'm not sure that most Euros only want to come to a great winning situation in the NBA.

In fact, the opposite may be true. The Euro may be more intimidated coming to a championship team than an also-ran. He may fear lack of playing time, unrealistic expectations as to his ability, the pressure of having to win right away, not fitting in to a set championship rotation, etc.

Who knows what Splitter is thinking or what would influence him to come. ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).

baseline bum
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
The Spurs can't even offer him $1M because of the set rookie scale. I don't ever expect to see him in a Spurs uniform. I hope they fucking abolish the rookie scale in the next CBA.

Blackjack
03-07-2010, 07:37 PM
The Spurs can't even offer him $1M because of the set rookie scale. I don't ever expect to see him in a Spurs uniform. I hope they fucking abolish the rookie scale in the next CBA.

The Spurs are capable of spending up to the MLE for his services because he's three-years removed from the draft.

Mel_13
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM

The Spurs can offer him the MLE. The limitations of the rookie scale end three years after the date drafted.

Edit: Too slow

Blackjack
03-07-2010, 07:45 PM
That's a first.:lol

Russ
03-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Okay, I realize I'm no better than third in this gravy train. But, the beauty of this year for Splitter is that (finally) the Spurs are free of that silly rookie salary scale. After three years it goes away.

I chime in only because this may be the only time that I will ever be able to correct Baseline Bum about anything when it comes to basketball. And I gotta do it while I can. :)

superjames1992
03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Dollars and Euros will do all the talking.
One thing the Spurs have going for them is that the Euro has been crashing and burning lately, so the Euro is not worth as much as it once was.

Russ
03-07-2010, 08:16 PM
One thing the Spurs have going for them is that the Euro has been crashing and burning lately, so the Euro is not worth as much as it once was.

Maybe we could pay him in Chinese currency.

AFBlue
03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I actually don't think it'll be about Spurs' play this year or the money. By all accounts the Spurs can finally offer a competitive salary to the big Euro clubs, so that should be a bit of an equalizer. I also think that Splitter's opportunity for PT should be about the same. Understanding he'll have to learn a new system and earn PT, but at present there are no other 7ft true Centers on the roster.

I think Splitter's decision will come down to whether he's ready and willing to play in NBA.

ducks
03-07-2010, 08:22 PM
rookies should have salaries set
however with buyouts from overseas players team should be able to pay the other team money to get out of buyouts

baseline bum
03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Crap, I forgot about the 3 year rule on the rookie scale contracts. Good call Blackjack, Mel, and Russ. :toast

DPG21920
03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I am excited about Tiago, but it is not enough.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Splitter never made a decision to be in the NBA. I think his name was automatically entered in the draft. The Spurs probably wasted the pick on him. Considering fans are completely happy with wasting Mahinmi after five years of investment, it's not really a big loss.

spursfaninla
03-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Would you have Mahinmi play instead of Blair? I would not.

dice? Maybe. Evidently pop disagrees. Mahinmi must not have impressed much in practice.

bonner? Apples and oranges. Mahinmi just can't do what he does.

Mahinmi might turn out to be a good backup, but it will take a few years to find out. We don't have that time.

wildbill2u
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
The Euros and Argentinians have proved they can play with the Americans (NBA) in the Olympics. I don't think there is quite as much luster to playing here--especially if it is for less money.

And if you are a top-ranked player in Europe, you might have an ego to check if you come to the States to play and be placed in the second tier.

And finally there is always the pull of playing before your home folks and in a culture that is quite different and, for some, superior.

dbestpro
03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
The Euros and Argentinians have proved they can play with the Americans (NBA) in the Olympics. I don't think there is quite as much luster to playing here--especially if it is for less money.

And if you are a top-ranked player in Europe, you might have an ego to check if you come to the States to play and be placed in the second tier.

And finally there is always the pull of playing before your home folks and in a culture that is quite different and, for some, superior.

Monoculturalism can never be superior to multiculturalism.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Would you have Mahinmi play instead of Blair? I would not.
I'd have Mahinmi play in addition to Blair. Since they don't play the same position, they will not be getting each other's minutes.

dice? Maybe. Evidently pop disagrees. Mahinmi must not have impressed much in practice.
When Dice is injured and getting zero minutes, that's exactly where Mahinmi should be getting minutes. But then again it must be all those mystical in-season practices fans seem to think the Spurs have.

bonner? Apples and oranges. Mahinmi just can't do what he does.
Again, Bonner's not a five by any stretch of the imagination. Mahinmi can't do what a three point shooting role player does. Fine. Mahinmi shouldn't be coming in when you need a big three point shooter. He should only be on the floor when you need a seven foot guy who can play defense and rebound, things Bonner just can't do.

Mahinmi might turn out to be a good backup, but it will take a few years to find out. We don't have that time.
Mahinmi could be anything, including as good as he's looked during the small number of minutes he's gotten, or he could be really bad, which would still make him a better center in defensive situations than Richard Jefferson. It likely doesn't matter as the Spurs are going to be matched up with a much taller team in the playoffs and clearly show a commitment to countering size with lack of size.

jjktkk
03-08-2010, 02:44 AM
I'd have Mahinmi play in addition to Blair. Since they don't play the same position, they will not be getting each other's minutes.

When Dice is injured and getting zero minutes, that's exactly where Mahinmi should be getting minutes. But then again it must be all those mystical in-season practices fans seem to think the Spurs have.

Again, Bonner's not a five by any stretch of the imagination. Mahinmi can't do what a three point shooting role player does. Fine. Mahinmi shouldn't be coming in when you need a big three point shooter. He should only be on the floor when you need a seven foot guy who can play defense and rebound, things Bonner just can't do.

Mahinmi could be anything, including as good as he's looked during the small number of minutes he's gotten, or he could be really bad, which would still make him a better center in defensive situations than Richard Jefferson. It likely doesn't matter as the Spurs are going to be matched up with a much taller team in the playoffs and clearly show a commitment to countering size with lack of size.

:rolleyes Pop playing small ball should tell you all you need to know about the coaching staff's confidence in Mahimni. But OV I'm sure you could coach Mahimni and turn em into an all-star.

BillMc
03-08-2010, 03:05 AM
He should only be on the floor when you need a seven foot guy who can play defense and rebound, things Bonner just can't do.

When has he proven he can play defense?

TheSullyMonster
03-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Monoculturalism can never be superior to multiculturalism.

If you're only interested in a certain mono, sure it can.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 03:47 AM
i see him going to a big club in europe since most of these clubs share the same operations with their football t eams balance sheet

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 10:39 AM
:rolleyes Pop playing small ball should tell you all you need to know about the coaching staff's confidence in Mahimni. But OV I'm sure you could coach Mahimni and turn em into an all-star.

Again, you guys keep needing to misinterpret my position in order to have something to debate.

Pop's quote about Bogans should tell you all you need to know about the coaching staff's ability to evaluate talent. Mahinmi doesn't need to be an all-star, he just needs to be better than the alternatives that are being trotted out, which he is.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 10:42 AM
When has he proven he can play defense?

Okay, we'll just ignore the fact that he makes the proper rotations when he's on the floor in garbage time and the one game he was allowed to play, and I'll concede the point that he hasn't proven it.

However, that also means that he's yet to prove that he CANNOT defend the center position, which immediately gives him an advantage over Jefferson and Bonner, whose attempts at guarding centers have largely met with disaster this season.

yavozerb
03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Okay, we'll just ignore the fact that he makes the proper rotations when he's on the floor in garbage time and the one game he was allowed to play, and I'll concede the point that he hasn't proven it.

However, that also means that he's yet to prove that he CANNOT defend the center position, which immediately gives him an advantage over Jefferson and Bonner, whose attempts at guarding centers have largely met with disaster this season.

Thats because bonner is not a 5..TD usually plays D on the 5 anyway while Bonner is an average defender at the 4 position (nothing special I agree), but bonner is out there to to spread the offense with his 3 pt shooting which he usually does very well. I agree that mahinmi should have gotten a closer look to this pt but it just has not happened. Lets be real, TD is the 5 when bonner is out there not bonner.

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
European clubs can't compete with NBA salaries, especially when you factor potential future earnings, which players obviously do. Plus, Splitter's contract buyout clauses work in favour of the Spurs. Unless the Spurs lowball Splitter and offer him the LLE or something, he'll sign with them this Summer.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Thats because bonner is not a 5..TD usually plays D on the 5 anyway while Bonner is an average defender at the 4 position (nothing special I agree), but bonner is out there to to spread the offense with his 3 pt shooting which he usually does very well. I agree that mahinmi should have gotten a closer look to this pt but it just has not happened. Lets be real, TD is the 5 when bonner is out there not bonner.

Your argument is nothing more than semantics. Bonner's not a starting-caliber big and he can't even match up with smaller power forwards like David West, let alone taller guys like Lamarcus Aldridge or Pau Gasol. Bonner should not be out there to spread the floor for more than a few minutes a game where the matchup problems can't be exploited by the other team. Nobody is a bigger fan of what Bonner can bring to the Spurs than I am, but he has to be utilized properly.

Again, there's plenty of evidence that Bonner can't perform that defensive role with heavy minutes, and there's a small amount of evidence that Mahinmi can. The only prayer the Spurs have of being able to turn the season around is to find out now. An upgrade of interior defense and possibly replacing the dead weight at the starting three position could contribute greatly to that.

yavozerb
03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Your argument is nothing more than semantics. Bonner's not a starting-caliber big and he can't even match up with smaller power forwards like David West, let alone taller guys like Lamarcus Aldridge or Pau Gasol. Bonner should not be out there to spread the floor for more than a few minutes a game where the matchup problems can't be exploited by the other team. Nobody is a bigger fan of what Bonner can bring to the Spurs than I am, but he has to be utilized properly.

Again, there's plenty of evidence that Bonner can't perform that defensive role with heavy minutes, and there's a small amount of evidence that Mahinmi can. The only prayer the Spurs have of being able to turn the season around is to find out now. An upgrade of interior defense and possibly replacing the dead weight at the starting three position could contribute greatly to that.

Wow, sorry if you think Ian is the answer to your prayers..

NFGIII
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
The Spurs will welcome any young, big man with some skills with open arms.

The Spurs success or lack thereof this year I don't think will affect his decision to come. A decent offer will and the opportunity for some serious playing time.

You can't tell me the Spurs don't need an infusion of talented young players. I think its safe to say Splitter can be a key contributor here and maybe even grow with Hill, Blair, and next years rookie #1.

Agreed. Whether Splitter comes is still uncertain but he would have an impact on this team. As stated many times by many posters the Spurs game plan is the twin towers plus a perimeter stopper defensive scheme first and foremost. As for now the Spurs lack both of those ingredients neccessary to be successful like they once were. At least with Splitter possibly coming over this would be a step in the right direction.

I actually don't think it'll be about Spurs' play this year or the money. By all accounts the Spurs can finally offer a competitive salary to the big Euro clubs, so that should be a bit of an equalizer. I also think that Splitter's opportunity for PT should be about the same. Understanding he'll have to learn a new system and earn PT, but at present there are no other 7ft true Centers on the roster.

I think Splitter's decision will come down to whether he's ready and willing to play in NBA.

Tough call since we really don't know what's on his mind. We found out that it was not only the money but his sister's health that played a role in his decision to resign with Tau. Admittedly at that time the dollar wasn't very strong against the Euro and the tax issue made Tau's offer so much more attractive.

Based on his statement about playing in the NBA when he was drafted by the Spurs it seems that the possibility that he comes over is much better than last time. Let's hope him does.

rookies should have salaries set
however with buyouts from overseas players team should be able to pay the other team money to get out of buyouts

+100

I wholeheartedly agree with that. IIRC NBA teams can only put up $.500M towards the buyout. If they could just outright pay the buyout fee then maybe these players would come over sooner. Think - Scola the year prior to him being traded to the Rockets.

Good point. I believe that the NBA is where the greatest concentration of talent exists but that doesn't mean that every player wants to be here. Heck, LA is a huge city with money and women where you could make a fortune but if asked to move there by my company I would decline. Unless they offered oodles of :greedy:greedy:greedy then I would take the money and go there untill I made enough to quit and come back here. I like the laid back aspect of South Texas. And yes, just like everyone else, I have my price.:D Unlike Shaq, I have little interest in that sort of enviroment and as you stated neither does many a Euro player. A person's perception of the quality of life is an important aspect when making these types of decisions.

To each his own so to say.

European clubs can't compete with NBA salaries, especially when you factor potential future earnings, which players obviously do. Plus, Splitter's contract buyout clauses work in favour of the Spurs. Unless the Spurs lowball Splitter and offer him the LLE or something, he'll sign with them this Summer.

I hope you're right about this but there is an old saying "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush". If the salaries aren't competitive, as they were when Splitter resigned with Tau, then the player stays in Europe. Considering the lifespan of a professional BB player this would be a telling point when it comes to signing. Getting his now might be more important than waiting for the big payday down the road, even if the salaries are similar. And the tax issue also will be factored in.

wildbill2u
03-08-2010, 05:29 PM

I think you're wrong about the Euros not being able to pay on a par with the NBA. You are living in the past. In some cases, the Euro owners are extremely wealthy and can pay virtually anything they want with no league restrinctions to a great player.

Secondly, the teams can pay the taxes on the salaries and often provide perks like autos, homes/apts, etc.on top of the salaries for their stars.

What may distinguish a Michael Jordan is the huge amount of money available via advertising/endoresement hook-ups--but how many NBA star get the Jordan treatment. Our Big 3--all All-stars and one Top 50--work for peanuts for H.E.B so that shows you the endorsement/advertising money is limited.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Wow, sorry if you think Ian is the answer to your prayers..

It's not my fault Ian's all the Spurs have left at that position. I'd have been perfectly happy with Theo Ratilff providing some interior defense. I'm sorry you think Richard Jefferson is an adequate center to put in against Amare Stoudemire.

Do the Spurs have a prayer of competing this season? Not without interior defense, and you need size for that.

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I think you're wrong about the Euros not being able to pay on a par with the NBA. You are living in the past. In some cases, the Euro owners are extremely wealthy and can pay virtually anything they want with no league restrinctions to a great player.

Secondly, the teams can pay the taxes on the salaries and often provide perks like autos, homes/apts, etc.on top of the salaries for their stars.

What may distinguish a Michael Jordan is the huge amount of money available via advertising/endoresement hook-ups--but how many NBA star get the Jordan treatment. Our Big 3--all All-stars and one Top 50--work for peanuts for H.E.B so that shows you the endorsement/advertising money is limited.

Nonsense.

You're living in the past, more precisely in the "Delfino and Childress signed in Europe and LeBron will follow suit" 08 Summer.

And teams can't pay the taxes on salaries. That's a persistent myth created by the gross incompetence of American journalists and the clueless ways of their readers. Teams merely withhold the tax from the players pay. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAYE

Btw, cars and other perks are part of the salary and taxed as such in most countries.

In any case, with the economic crisis and the implosion of Russian clubs and the Greek economy, there are now at most 3 clubs in Europe that can pay salaries comparable to a NBA MLE contract (above €2 millions net per year) and even for those clubs that's basically their absolute ceiling.