PDA

View Full Version : They ain't that good!

Man In Black
03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Lakers are under .500 against playoff teams, are they really as good as their fans and the punkass 4 letter say they are?
Question!

j-money24
03-07-2010, 05:27 PM
No we're not.

Banzai
03-07-2010, 05:27 PM
not sure but sure is troubling.

Muser
03-07-2010, 05:28 PM
B..B..But Lakers have nothing to prove!

AnthonyM
03-07-2010, 05:29 PM
It definitely is troublesome for Lakers fans IMO....

They're obviously getting every team's best shot but they should expect that...

Going to be interesting to watch how they keep doing against these teams and whether or not its personnel problems or they haven't turned it all the way up yet...

Banzai
03-07-2010, 05:33 PM
It definitely is troublesome for Lakers fans IMO....

They're obviously getting every team's best shot but they should expect that...

Going to be interesting to watch how they keep doing against these teams and whether or not its personnel problems or they haven't turned it all the way up yet...

playoffs will definitely be interesting.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-07-2010, 05:33 PM
I think the Lakers will be fine. There is still 6 weeks before the playoffs.

FkLA
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Son, Ive been saying this for months. Even before today's game and before the start of this 3-game losing streak. I was accused of simply being a hater but Im glad you guys are finally seeing the light. Theyre a combined 1-5 against teams I truly consider elite (Cavs, Nugs, new Mavs). Dont know their record on the road against winning teams, but someone can check that and Im certain its pretty pathetic. Off the top of my head losses on the road...@ SA, @ Por, @ Uta, @ Mem, @ Mia, @ Tor, @ Orl, etc. Thats not counting the beatdowns the elite teams handed them.

Why they are considered an unbeatable force is beyond me. I guess theyre just bored and not even trying out there :rolleyes

IronMexican
03-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm sure the Spurs will handle LA in 4 games.

JustBlaze
03-07-2010, 05:41 PM
How's L.A.'s upcoming schedule? Perhaps, the top spot is there for the taking?:wow

NRHector
03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
they are who we thought they were

Muser
03-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Both teams suck against the Elite teams, so yeah.

AnthonyM
03-07-2010, 05:46 PM

If by "handle" you mean play small ball against one of the better front courts in the league for the duration of 4 games and proceed to wonder why its not working when they lose each game by 10+ points while RJ is getting manhandled at the PF spot...

Then yes we'll handle the Lakers

endrity
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
How's L.A.'s upcoming schedule? Perhaps, the top spot is there for the taking?:wow

It surely is...... for the Mavs!

Be sure to help us and give a beatdown to those guys when they come in town for their last reg season meeting with the Nuggets. If you, Utah, and SA take care of them then definitely the boys in blue can take the #1 seed.

mavsfan1000
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Kobe became Kome again. Team not getting involved equals lost of confidence.

j.dizzle
03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
LOL you guys are fuckin ridiculous..Its completely different when everyone is gunning for you in the regular season & play their hearts out..LA doesnt seem to have enough focus this year in the big road games..If they play this shitty in the postseason then I will eat my crow. Cheers sons

Muser
03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
LOL you guys are fuckin ridiculous..Its completely different when everyone is gunning for you in the regular season & play their hearts out..LA doesnt seem to have enough focus this year in the big road games..If they play this shitty in the postseason then I will eat my crow. Cheers sons

Pau is happy to go back to 2008 form now, enjoy that hairy pussy for the next few years.

mogrovejo
03-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Their offense is very predictable. I've said this at the start of the season: too many guys who are limited/want to play the post; too little penetration from dribble drives; outside shooting too streaky. They struggle big time against teams with good interior defenders.

Baseline
03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Isnt' it obvious that they play better without Bryant? I'm not saying they're a better team without Bryant, but they play better when he's out. I just think his teammates don't like playing with him. He doesn't get other guys involved, and further, he shuts guys out. And in the 4th quarter, he controls the ball 90% of the time. It's sick. The guy plays one on five.

Today against Orlando, Gasol was 8-13 for the game and with five minutes left, Howard had five fouls. Yet they didn't go to Gasol one time in the last five minutes of the game. Not once.

I have a legit question. I know it bothers Gasol, because he's said so, but seriously, does Bryant's consitently selfish play bother Laker fans?

j.dizzle
03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Their offense is very predictable. I've said this at the start of the season: too many guys who are limited/want to play the post; too little penetration from dribble drives; outside shooting too streaky. They struggle big time against teams with good interior defenders.
Bingo son..Thats probably the biggest problem right there..Teams are just clogging up the paint & making them shoot a lot of jumpers..Not very good when your guards cant hit the ocean some games. If LA had a really consistent three point shooter, then it would open up the game a lot more.

picc84
03-07-2010, 05:58 PM
The shooting is too streaky and there are too many post-players on the court at once. There is no reason for Gasol, Bynum, and Artest to be playing at once. No point to that.

mavsfan1000
03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
The shooting is too streaky and there are too many post-players on the court at once. There is no reason for Gasol, Bynum, and Artest to be playing at once. No point to that.
Yep and Dallas has a good frontline against bigs with Haywood and Dampier that will challenge shots around the basket and Dirk is hard to shoot over as a power forward. Marion has some good D as well. Butler and Stevenson could guard Kobe and Kidd can save all his energy for the offensive end only having to guard Fisher.

endrity
03-07-2010, 06:02 PM

That's pretty much the issue. All those guys love banging in the post, but they are not great shooters so team clog up the lane against them really easily. Ariza was not as good a defender as Artest, no doubt, but in his role as 3-pt shooter he was giving the Lakers something they lack this year. And this year, arguably the road to the trophy is harder, Denver and Dallas are better than they were last year, and LeBron really can't use the excuse of no team anymore.

picc84
03-07-2010, 06:09 PM
You got it. But thats also a coaching issue. There are more fluid lineups to put on the floor. Jackson just doesn't do it.

IMO, LA, Dallas, and Denver all have equal chances at winning the West. The parity is there. And the Thugs and Mavs both have more motivation.

Its going to be a wild playoffs.

TheMACHINE
03-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Lakers arnt that good...but are your teams any better?

AnthonyM
03-07-2010, 06:19 PM

Spurs are wayyyyyyy better.

Muser
03-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Could make a case for Denver/Dallas.

mogrovejo
03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
There's another reason why the Lakers aren't as good as last season:

Kobe Bryant

22.1 field goal attempts per game -- 45.9%
4.1 three point attempts -- 31.4% -- lowest 3FG% in seven years
7.3 free throw attempts per game -- 82.3% -- second lowest number of FTAs in the last eight years. Lowest last season.
eFG% -- 48.8% -- lowest in five seasons
True shooting percentage -- 54.6% -- lowest in seven years. It was 56-58% for the previous four years.
Assist rate - 22.7% -- lowest since.... 1999/2000.
Rebounding rate - 7.5% --- lowest since... 1998/1999.
Shot-blocking rate - 9.7% --- career low.
FG% for shots at the rim - 58.1%. Career low, in the last 3 years: 66%, 63%, 64%
And yet his usage rate is increasing for the 3rd consecutive season - it's like the better his teammates are, the more Kobe tries to act as the "saviour" and "the man".

Kobe's game has dropped off this season big, big time and it's a trend that started awhile ago - and the quality of his teammates, especially defensively+rebounding wise is hiding that decline.

alchemist
03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Spurs are wayyyyyyy better.
:wakeup

DPG21920
03-07-2010, 06:32 PM
:wakeup

? Was he missing a couple of "y's"?

endrity
03-07-2010, 06:33 PM
There's another reason why the Lakers aren't as good as last season:

Kobe Bryant

22.1 field goal attempts per game -- 45.9%
4.1 three point attempts -- 31.4% -- lowest 3FG% in seven years
7.3 free throw attempts per game -- 82.3% -- second lowest number of FTAs in the last eight years. Lowest last season.
eFG% -- 48.8% -- lowest in five seasons
True shooting percentage -- 54.6% -- lowest in seven years. It was 56-58% for the previous four years.
Assist rate - 22.7% -- lowest since.... 1999/2000.
Rebounding rate - 7.5% --- lowest since... 1998/1999.
Shot-blocking rate - 9.7% --- career low.
FG% for shots at the rim - 58.1%. Career low, in the last 3 years: 66%, 63%, 64%
And yet his usage rate is increasing for the 3rd consecutive season - it's like the better his teammates are, the more Kobe tries to act as the "saviour" and "the man".

Kobe's game has dropped off this season big, big time and it's a trend that started awhile ago - and the quality of his teammates, especially defensively+rebounding wise is hiding that decline.

Wow, had not seen these numbers. I don't know if he was just taking it easy given the lead the Lakers built up at the beginning of the season, but that is striking. Sometimes we just watch highlights, buzzer beaters and think all is fine with Kobe, but those numbers might reveal a chink in armour.

alchemist
03-07-2010, 06:34 PM
? Was he missing a couple of "y's"?
just a couple :wakeup

AnthonyM
03-07-2010, 06:35 PM
just a couple :wakeup

I didn't want to rub it in.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I've been saying this since the Summer(along with a few others here) while all the Mavs and Spurs fans have been overrating them..they have some serious flaws with their spacing due to no outside shooting, the inability of Gasol and Bynum to play together, a weak bench..and now we've seen more issues in the regular season with Gasol looking worn down from too much basketball and Kobe breaking down with mileage and age..there also appears to be issues in the locker room..

With that being said, I still expect them to win the West..I just can't picture Dallas or Denver winning the West..I think they both have the talent, I just can't picture it..the Nuggets have serious depth problems in the frontcourt and the Mavs just always find a way to choke(I'm not trying to insult them, before Mavs fans take offense)..

I'd be shocked if Cleveland doesn't win the title either way though..

badfish22
03-07-2010, 06:41 PM
With that being said, I still expect them to win the West..I just can't picture Dallas or Denver winning the West.....Mavs just always find a way to choke

Yes, because the Mavs have never won the west :rolleyes

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Clearly I meant this year..

I don't hate the Mavs btw, I'm just saying..

badfish22
03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Clearly I meant this year..

But you say they ALWAYS choke. Meaning they have a history of choking. But they have gotten out of the west before, so they could do it again, right?

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2010, 06:52 PM
It means that based on their past history of choking, I would bet that they fold under pressure against a strong(but overrated) Lakers team plus the refs that come with the Lakers for playoff games, but it's certainly very possible that they could come out of the West..

Although to be fair, the Mavs' core is different than the one that choked other than Dirk and Terry..

21_Blessings
03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
The Lakers are undefeated against West playoff teams the last two seasons...in the playoffs.

Funny how a fan of a dying franchise made this thread. Back to back first round exits for your irrelevant team LAUGH OUT LOUD

Ghazi
03-07-2010, 07:10 PM
It means that based on their past history of choking, I would bet that they fold under pressure against a strong(but overrated) Lakers team plus the refs that come with the Lakers for playoff games, but it's certainly very possible that they could come out of the West..

Although to be fair, the Mavs' core is different than the one that choked other than Dirk and Terry..

Mavs have never choked. They were screwed in '06 and simply had a weird/bad matchup in '07.

Other than that, they've lost simply because they were the inferior team, not because they've choked... except for '03 when they were the best team in the NBA and got fucked by Dirk's injury.

Man In Black
03-07-2010, 07:16 PM
The Lakers are undefeated against West playoff teams the last two seasons...in the playoffs.

Funny how a fan of a dying franchise made this thread. Back to back first round exits for your irrelevant team LAUGH OUT LOUD

What the fuck are you smoking? Undefeated as in didn't lose a game in the West? We know that didn't happen. So your team is defending champs BFD. Posture all you want, they ain't the shit, they just play like it since 24 became a ballhog again.

daslicer
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Mavs have never choked. They were screwed in '06 and simply had a weird/bad matchup in '07.

Other than that, they've lost simply because they were the inferior team, not because they've choked... except for '03 when they were the best team in the NBA and got fucked by Dirk's injury.

You guys choked in '06 no doubt about it granted Dwade did get some phantom calls but it shouldn't have come down to a close game where that became a factor. The heat were by far the worst team ever to win a title I can't think of a worse champion in the last 30 years. Outside of Wade they were just a bunch of solid role players plus a broke down injured Shaq in that series. The heat were real terrible that they got swept easily by chicago a year later. To me '06 was an epic choke job with the mavs up 2-0 in the series it should not have gone beyond 5. Hell you guys were up by double digits in the 4th quarter of game 3 and still manage to throw it away. '07 was also a choke job granted not as bad as '06 but still pretty bad considering there were 50 to 1 odds that the warriors could win that series which means the Mavs were huge favorites to win.

TheMACHINE
03-07-2010, 07:50 PM
What the fuck are you smoking? Undefeated as in didn't lose a game in the West? We know that didn't happen. So your team is defending champs BFD. Posture all you want, they ain't the shit, they just play like it since 24 became a ballhog again.

so your saying if 24 stops ballhogging, then we win the ring?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-07-2010, 07:52 PM
The Mavs have a history of choking, I don't get why they get butt hurt over people saying this.

Is this year's team different? Yes, but we'll have to wait until the playoffs to see how they do.

TheMACHINE
03-07-2010, 07:56 PM
The Mavs have a history of choking, I don't get why they get butt hurt over people saying this.

Is this year's team different? Yes, but we'll have to wait until the playoffs to see how they do.

probably another choke job...but we'll see.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-07-2010, 07:59 PM
probably another choke job...but we'll see.

Probably

Man In Black
03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
so your saying if 24 stops ballhogging, then we win the ring?
Perhaps. Should he let the team play a more balanced type of game, then maybe, you have the winningest coach, a good foundation of post play, and the most-feared scorer in the L. You can win it, but it ain't going to be easy. Despite the record, this LAL team still plays like their airport...LAX.

BRHornet45
03-07-2010, 11:50 PM
lol Kobe shot the ball 30 times today to 34 points. pathetic

Xevious
03-08-2010, 12:21 AM
The Lakers look like they're tired and just going through the motions. Their raw talent is winning games right now, not effort. I wouldn't give it much thought though. Come playoff time, they're still the team to beat.

duhoh
03-08-2010, 02:42 AM
The Lakers look like they're tired and just going through the motions. Their raw talent is winning games right now, not effort. I wouldn't give it much thought though. Come playoff time, they're still the team to beat.

Finally a real response not full of trash talking.

Yes, the West still goes through LA. Regardless. We might not like how they have so much talent, but so little effort outside of Kobe. He's the only one playing with a sense of urgency out there. Everyone else in LA is playing like a bunch of pansies, when they are totally capable if playing better.

It's like they expect to turn it up in the playoffs. Hopefully they turn it on much sooner to keep the title in the West.

pauls931
03-08-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm completely surprised. They have a seriously loaded lineup, especially picking up Artest. Guess they are just being smug like some Spurs fans and thinking they'll turn it on in June.

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 09:09 AM
It's not about 3 games, laziness or a bad stretch. The Lakers offense has had problems since the beginning of the season.

TheMACHINE
03-08-2010, 10:35 AM
It's not about 3 games, laziness or a bad stretch. The Lakers offense has had problems since the beginning of the season.

you're right 46-18 is horrid.

DazedAndConfused
03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
:lmao at Celtic fan talking shit about poor offense. Have you seen your team recently?

You fucking lost to the NJN @ home.

/thread

duhoh
03-08-2010, 12:56 PM

I don't think you've seen enough of LA then. Everyone outside of Kobe is playing not so well. Gasol is decent, but nowhere near the level he can produce.

I guess you could say that's an offensive problem them.

mindcrime
03-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Umm No. The Kings would have defeated them in 6 had Webber not gone down in game 2. As it stands they took them to 7 games. As much as the Kings have choked throughout the (Webber) years more often than not they got the better of the Mavs.

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
you're right 46-18 is horrid.

You're reading things I didn't write. You probably need to see medical help.

The Lakers are still one of the best teams in teh NBA; it doesn't mean they don't have flaws.

:lmao at Celtic fan talking shit about poor offense. Have you seen your team recently?

You fucking lost to the NJN @ home.

/thread

I'm not talking shit, I'm talking basketball. Being a fan of this or that team is irrelevant. I generally don't tend my passions to prejudice my judgements, at least when it comes to basketball. I don't hope you to understand that though.

I don't think you've seen enough of LA then. Everyone outside of Kobe is playing not so well. Gasol is decent, but nowhere near the level he can produce.

I guess you could say that's an offensive problem them.

Lakerfan: the offensive problem is the lack of production of their offence and it's 50% about Kobe's decline + unwillingness to adapt his game, 50% about the way the roster is constructed.

duhoh
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Lakerfan: the offensive problem is the lack of production of their offence and it's 50% about Kobe's decline + unwillingness to adapt his game, 50% about the way the roster is constructed.

speaking of decline, it's sad to see KG like this. he's getting punked left and right nowadays.

aw heck, i think he deserves it though :lol

nkdlunch
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't think there ever was a champion with < 50% vs. good teams. lakers are scratched off the contender list.

cobbler
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Hmmmmmmm... Let's see:

The big man complaining about touches to the media.
PJ tossing out jabs to certain players in the media.
Kobe acting like it's no big deal and saying all will be fine.
Lakers obviously going through the motions with respect to effort.
Lakers on schedule for a 56-60 win season.
Laker haters and media obsessing on how the Lakers are not the same team that won it all last year.
Laker unfaithful panicking.

.... and the morons saying "They ain't that good".

hmmmmmmm.... sound familiar?

Phillip
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
mavs over lakers in 6 - wcf