PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Spurs' Bogans has stake in LeBron's status

duncan228
03-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Spurs' Bogans has stake in LeBron's status (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Bogans_has_stake_in_LeBrons_status.html)
Jeff McDonald

CLEVELAND — The “will he or won't he” drama surrounding LeBron James' status is likely to last all the way until tipoff between the Spurs and Cavaliers tonight.

There's little question how Keith Bogans wants the saga to wind up. He wants James to play.

“He's one of the best players there are in this league, and I look forward to guarding the best players,” said Bogans, the Spurs' designated defensive stopper. “It's fun.”

James, the NBA's leading scorer at 30 points per game, is battling a series of nagging ailments and sat out Cleveland's loss at Milwaukee on Saturday.

If James is to play tonight, Bogans would get first crack at him. The 29-year-old guard/forward has had some defensive success of late, most recently harassing Memphis' Rudy Gay into a 5-for-15 performance, but concedes he hasn't guarded anybody like James.

The two have a bit of history together, dating to Bogans' six seasons in the Eastern Conference.

“I've guarded LeBron quite a bit,” said Bogans, who at 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds gives up three inches and 35 pounds to James. “You hope he's taking jumpers. If he's going to take jumpers and make them, we've got to live with it. What you don't want is LeBron at the rim, because then everybody is going to get dunked on.”

Sage advice: Matt Bonner missed four weeks with an injury identical to the one Tony Parker is nursing — a fractured fourth metacarpal on his shooting hand.

After returning, Bonner wore a brace for a week. He does not recommend the same cumbersome apparatus for Parker.

“He's a guard, so ball-handling is more important,” Bonner said. “I'm just as likely to commit a turnover with or without the brace.”

Out of sorts: Center Antonio McDyess, who was a scoreless 0 for 3 on Saturday against Memphis, admitted he felt out of sorts after missing the previous two games with knee soreness.

“I hadn't really practiced since I got hurt (Feb. 28),” McDyess said. “This was like a first practice.”

McDyess hyperextended his left knee against Phoenix, a condition that left him with a bone bruise. He is still experiencing discomfort in the knee but expects it to subside.

In a rhythm: Bonner made ample use of his extra minutes in McDyess' absence, scoring in double figures in three straight games. He had 13 points against Memphis, most of it on a 4-of-7 performance from 3-point range.

“I feel like I'm finally back in a rhythm,” Bonner said.

ElNono
03-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm definitely not looking forward to watching Bogans guard Lebron...

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Bogans has stopped like 3 good players all year, I don't see how "it's fun" for him..he only has success vs. slow players for the most part, although even they give him trouble..

I don't think Lebron will play though, hopefully I'm right..

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-07-2010, 11:39 PM
We'll see Hill or Hairston on 'Bron soon after the start, as Bogans will get lit up.

“I'm just as likely to commit a turnover with or without the brace.”

Well, at least he's honest...

TIMMYD!
03-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Nightmare match-up...

G-Dawgg
03-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Bogans will get better, he still has alot to learn. At least he's WILLING to put in the effort to chase defenders on defense.. just the fact that he's so coachable helps me to understand why Popovich is investing so many minute in him to try to get him accustomed to his new stopper role.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Bogans has stopped like 3 good players all year, I don't see how "it's fun" for him..he only has success vs. slow players for the most part, although even they give him trouble..

It's statistically likely that the only guys Bogans has success with are guys who are having an off-night. But why wouldn't it be "fun" to get to play against the best players in the world and not get benched no matter how badly you played? I'd do that night in and night out for what they pay Bogans and I'd never complain once.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Bogans will get better, he still has alot to learn. At least he's WILLING to put in the effort to chase defenders on defense.. just the fact that he's so coachable helps me to understand why Popovich is investing so many minute in him to try to get him accustomed to his new stopper role.

Bogans has been in the league seven years; he's not likely to suddenly improve. If he has to chase people it's because they get past him so often.

I'm curious about exactly what Bogans has learned since training camp when Malik Hairston clearly outplayed him. Is there something statistical we can look up to see how much better he's gotten?

Chomag
03-08-2010, 01:50 AM

Bogans is not a rookie, he has already hit his ceiling or lack there of long ago

duhoh
03-08-2010, 02:15 AM
i agree about the ceiling, but you can always learn defense better.

at least he's putting the effort in.

timtonymanu
03-08-2010, 03:19 AM
No one can guard LeBron so i expect Bogans to have a hard time.

pookenstein
03-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Nightmare match-up...

Agree, but to be fair: James is a matchup-nighmare for almost everybody.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 05:41 AM
cant afford to have hill in foul trouble tryin to d lebron...

qiuyizeng
03-08-2010, 05:47 AM
“There's little question how Keith Bogans wants the saga to wind up. He wants James to play.”
whats meaning above sentence?

Booharv
03-08-2010, 06:36 AM

Which ones were those? I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know. Been watching him all year, haven't seen him stop anyone imo.

Interrohater
03-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Let's not forget that Bogans actually played well the first couple of months, then dropped off dramatically. There are many threads of people apologizing for ragging on Bogans when he started playing up to his potential. His defense was great (Not Bowen-great, but great) and he was driving to the hole.

I don't know when the drop off occured, but he did, at one time, change the minds of Spurs fans. I'm too lazy to look up the threads, however.

TJastal
03-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Bogans has had stretches of the season (about half the year so far) where he looks and plays sharp, his shooting is on target, passing brisk, defense tight as a drum. Last couple games have been the Dr Jekyll Bogans.

Then there is that My Hyde Bogans who on some nights shoots so bad he misses the rim, is turnover prone, and lackadaisical defensively.

timtonymanu
03-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Let's not forget that Bogans actually played well the first couple of months, then dropped off dramatically. There are many threads of people apologizing for ragging on Bogans when he started playing up to his potential. His defense was great (Not Bowen-great, but great) and he was driving to the hole.

I don't know when the drop off occured, but he did, at one time, change the minds of Spurs fans. I'm too lazy to look up the threads, however.

everyone on the spurs excluding tim and blair have been criticized the same way Bogans has by spurs fans because all of the guys have played bipolar all year.

Booharv
03-08-2010, 07:35 AM
He's got a PER of 8.17 and a defensive plus/minus of +0.6 meaning statistically the team plays better defense with him off the court. I'm not sure why's he even in the rotation. I would just give Hairston a shot.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Let's not forget that Bogans actually played well the first couple of months

When was that? Hairston outplayed him in preseason, and Mason has put up equal or better numbers all season despite struggling mightiliy.

There are many threads of people apologizing for ragging on Bogans when he started playing up to his potential.
When was that? He's had career-low numbers this year, and has been dismal on average.

His defense was great
When was that?

Maybe you could look up his stats to find out exactly when he played great. He's had single games where he's played good for him this year, which is far from great. Again, he's a career journeyman with below-average stats despite getting more starts than he's ever gotten before. I'm still not sure how anyone can justify his being on the floor with a straight face, because Pop's justification for it is outright laughable.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm definitely not looking forward to watching Bogans guard Lebron...

I'm not looking forward to watching Bogans guard Jawad Williams.

Interrohater
03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe you could look up his stats to find out exactly when he played great. He's had single games where he's played good for him this year, which is far from great. Again, he's a career journeyman with below-average stats despite getting more starts than he's ever gotten before. I'm still not sure how anyone can justify his being on the floor with a straight face, because Pop's justification for it is outright laughable.

Ok, you got me. :rolleyes

I'm not making it up. There was a point in November or December when Bogans was earning his minutes and people were happy with his play. Be contrary all you want, but this is true. What is also true is that I'm not going to compile a list of month-by-month stats just to satisfy Obstructed_View, who will disregard any positive stats anyway because he's already formed an opinion.

Allow yourself to bask in your own light of wisdom. Look at how superior you are because you like to call people out! All hail the mighty :sleep ....

If you really must know, then do the research (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/keith_bogans/game_by_game_stats.html) yourself.

nkdlunch
03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I can just see Spursfans will blame this loss to Cavs on Bogans because he could not stop Lebron :rolleyes

Chomag
03-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I can just see Spursfans will blame this loss to Cavs on Bogans because he could not stop Lebron :rolleyes

Nah, I don't expect him stopping Lebron, but if he has almost no production in all his minutes then I might.

Johnny RIngo
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Hairston did an admirable job guarding Kevin Martin a few games back. Much better than Bogans but Pop isn't going to give up on his "centerpiece" (lol) this soon.

ElNono
03-08-2010, 02:37 PM

Don't count me as one of those. I pretty much expect Lebron, if he plays, to steamroll right over anybody we put on him. You could say I'm setting the bar so low that I'll be greatly impressed if we do anything resembling a decent job on him. :lol

bigdog
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I went to a Spurs-Cavs game last year where Hairston guarded LeBron pretty well. Now, as for Bogans, he can't really guard anyone. This could suck if LBJ plays.

Horry For 3!
03-08-2010, 03:31 PM
It looks like Mike Brown is going to rest LeBron, that would be nice.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Ok, you got me. :rolleyes

I'm not making it up. There was a point in November or December when Bogans was earning his minutes and people were happy with his play. Be contrary all you want, but this is true. What is also true is that I'm not going to compile a list of month-by-month stats just to satisfy Obstructed_View, who will disregard any positive stats anyway because he's already formed an opinion.

Allow yourself to bask in your own light of wisdom. Look at how superior you are because you like to call people out! All hail the mighty :sleep ....

If you really must know, then do the research (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/keith_bogans/game_by_game_stats.html) yourself.

I looked at his game by game stats and was unable to find any trend of any sort where he looked like he deserved to be starting over Hairston, or any stretch of games where he's played particularly well. Obviously you couldn't either since you presented the link and didn't just point me toward this great rise in production and contribution that he made.

Please, by all means, continue to just create statements that you absolutely can't back up with any kind of statistic and present them as fact. Obviously there's a stretch at some point this season where some "people" were happy with his play. The fact that you're defending all the minutes he gets seems to indicate that you think he's done a good job at replacing Bruce Bowen, though there's not a single stat to back up your belief. You're in good company, though: :pop: