PDA

View Full Version : Former Spur: Nando De Colo

Pages : 1 [2] 3

will_spurs
09-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Nando had been quite disappointing so far but he indeed had a big game yesterday. Based on this EC he doesn't look like NBA material at this point. Then again Rubio got a nice NBA contract and plays like shit, so who knows...

ForeignFan
11-06-2011, 04:38 PM
He had two big games in a row, scoring 22 then 28 points:

from lequipe.fr:
Une semaine après après inscrit 22 points contre Malaga, Nando De Colo a de nouveau brillé ce dimanche avec Valence. Le meneur-arrière de l'équipe de France s'est fendu de 28 points (5/8 à 2 points, 3/3 de loin, 9/10 aux lancers) et 9 rebonds et 7 fautes provoquées en seulement 21 minutes dans une victoire à Saint-Sebastien (86-81). Il termine avec la meilleure évaluation de la journée en Liga ACB. Valence est cinquième ex aequo derrière un quatuor composé de la surprise Alicante, de Barcelone, du Real Madrid et de Malaga

Bruno
11-06-2011, 05:58 PM
28 points, 9 rebounds with a 37 efficiency in 21 minutes is insane. Nando is just a damn talented player.

Bruno
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
An interview of Nando:
http://www.lavoixdessports.com/Sports-Collectifs/Basket-Ball/2012/01/17/article_nando-de-colo-beaucoup-peuvent-aller-au.shtml

The part about Spurs:

Spurs went to Valencia to see you play last December while you will be a free agent next summer.
Yes, they did. It was George Felton (a scout). We know each other well now and we have had a dinner together. With the lockout, I haven't seen him for some time. We talked about a lot of things but not really about next year. These talks will be more between them and my agent.
You have never been so close of your dream.
It's a little now or never to go to the NBA. After three years spend in Europe, I think I'm ready to play there. I naturally think at my future and my first goal is the NBA But I stay focused on this year. It's too soon to talk about that.

timvp
01-17-2012, 10:19 AM
It'll probably cause a major ST meltdown but it seems like trading De Colo has to be a major option. While I think he's an interesting prospect, I can't figure out how he'd fit. As it stands, someone like James Anderson doesn't even get time in the rotation. And even in the long-term view, Neal fills the "short shooting guard who is a defensive liability but is dynamic enough offensively to help" role that De Colo would fill. De Colo's best chance at cracking the roster might be point guard, however that's assuming he's athletic enough to do so (which is highly questionable) and assuming that Cory Joseph doesn't play well enough to lock down that spot in the rotation.

That said, I doubt De Colo has much trade value at all. The Spurs shopped Scola for years and couldn't get anything decent and De Colo isn't anywhere near Scola's level.

Personally, I'd bring him over next year and at worst let him play in Austin for the year. Bruno, what do you think? Is he worth bringing over or is there just not a fit?

P.S.

The Spurs could make a decision between James Anderson and De Colo. We won't know it at the time but if the Spurs don't pick up Anderson's option, that could be due to assuming De Colo can be brought over in the summer.

Redshadows
01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
I guess without trading someone on backcourt the Spurs wouldn't bring De Colo to SA.
Somebody who has trade value and the Spurs might offer could be Neal. So, Neal + pick for a higher pick?

mathbzh
01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Personally, I'd bring him over next year and at worst let him play in Austin for the year.

The problem with De Colo is he would probably do wonders and score at will in the D-League. He could do it with Cholet, he does it with Valencia.
Nando's limitation appears when he is in tough games.

IMHO, either the Spurs think he has a future in the NBA and he makes the team or they don't bring him.

I also don't think he can play PG in the NBA.
As you mention he is probably not athletic enough... but he is just not a PG. Sure he can handle and pass the ball, but he does not manage the team possessions well (I must admit I did not see him play lately).

The problem with Nando is that when he is hot, he looks like Manu second coming. But he is not.
I think he should stay in Europe where he can become a very good player.

Bruno
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Personally, I'd bring him over next year and at worst let him play in Austin for the year. Bruno, what do you think? Is he worth bringing over or is there just not a fit?

First, as you said, Spurs won't get a lot if they trade him.
Second, he will be cheap to sign.
Third, he has some flaws but he is too a talented player.

So, yes, Spurs should give him a shot. It's a low risk move. I have some doubts about De Colo being able to succeed in the NBA but it's worth a try.

If Spurs sign him next summer and if you consider that his first year will be transition year with some time spending in Austin, the question is how he will fit with the 2013-2014 Spurs team. A lot could happen in almost 2 years. Manu, Neal, Green could all be gone by that time. However, De Colo would be a good fit long term wise for Spurs. He has something that none of the young players has, it's the ability to create for others. In a post-Manu area, this creativity woudl be badly needed.

This year, De Colo has played PG, SG and SF in Spain. He is a versatile player but he is clearly best suited to be a SG in the NBA.

mathbzh
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
If Spurs sign him next summer and if you consider that his first year will be transition year with some time spending in Austin, the question is how he will fit with the 2013-2014 Spurs team.

Do you really believe he would learn anything in Austin?
He has been a professional for 5 years, he plays in one of the best championship outside the NBA and in international competition.
There is no point sending him to Austin for more than a couple of games.

Brazil
01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
He has been a professional for 5 years, he plays in one of the best championship outside the NBA and in international competition.

I do agree with that + I'm pretty sure he won't accept to go and play for the toros.

Bruno
01-17-2012, 12:12 PM

While I don't think he will learn something in Austin, I doubt too that he will be good enough to contribute in his rookie year. He will likely be a 3rd stringer in his rookie year and only plays garbage time with Spurs.
I agree with you that he shouldn't be send the whole year to Austin but short stints will get him some playing time.

TimmehC
01-17-2012, 12:46 PM

The only thing any decent NBA prospect can "learn" on the Toros is the Spurs' system/plays. So depending on what the depth chart looks like, it might be a good idea to send De Colo to Austin if he does get brought over.

mathbzh
01-17-2012, 12:59 PM
The only thing any decent NBA prospect can "learn" on the Toros is the Spurs' system/plays. So depending on what the depth chart looks like, it might be a good idea to send De Colo to Austin if he does get brought over.

True, but you'll notice some (raw) prospects get assigned to the Toros when some other are not.
Splitter missed the pre-season last year and could have been a good candidate for a Toros stint. There is a reason he was a Spurs from day one.

The question with De Colo is not to know if he can learn the system. He should be able to learn the Spurs playbook just like any free agent coming here.
But is he a NBA player? Only playing in the NBA can answer that.

yavozerb
01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I think the spurs will attempt to do exactly what they did this past year with Hill and Kawhi. I expect Neal and/or JA will be shopped for a mid 1st rd pick if the player they are interested in (a big) is available to them. Why not...With Manu and green playing well at the 2 and Kawhi proving he can also play that position it could another great move to get solid young talent "ala Kawhi leonard". You bring in Colo and see if he can contribute at the 2 for depth reasons..

will_spurs
01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Not sure I remember that right, but if a team sends a player to their D-League affiliate, I thought the player was "protected" (i.e. couldn't be picked up by another team) only if the original retains their rights, and I thought that was only in the first 3 years after the draft? Am I at least vaguely on the right track or do I remember that completely wrong? That could be a reason why draft picks that have lingered in Europe for long (Splitter, De Colo) will not be sent to the Toros.

Mel_13
01-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Not sure I remember that right, but if a team sends a player to their D-League affiliate, I thought the player was "protected" (i.e. couldn't be picked up by another team) only if the original retains their rights, and I thought that was only in the first 3 years after the draft? Am I at least vaguely on the right track or do I remember that completely wrong? That could be a reason why draft picks that have lingered in Europe for long (Splitter, De Colo) will not be sent to the Toros.

Players in the D-League fall into two categories:

1. Players signed to NBA contracts that are assigned to the D-League team affiliated with the player's NBA team. Players can be assigned to the D-League during their first 3 years in the NBA (there are also provisions for rehab assignments as a result of the new CBA). Players assigned to the D-League continue to draw their full NBA salaries and cannot be claimed by other NBA teams.

2. Players on D-League contracts. All other players have contracts with the D-League and can be called up to the NBA by any NBA team.

The main reason why a D-League contract isn't an option for most foreign players is the very low salary of about $30,000 per season.

As to why most foreign players aren't assigned to the D-League for development by their NBA teams, that can be attributed to the low level of play compared to the better European leagues. In De Colo's case, the ACB is far superior to the D-League.

mountainballer
01-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I think the De Colo question is pretty simple to answer.

if he is willing to sign a Neal type contract, it's absolutely a no brainer. even if he ends up as the 3rd string PG/SG, it's a nice deal for the Spurs.

if it takes something like 2 years/2 million it's the same IMO.

if it takes 2 years / 3-4 million, you might do it and start think about clearing a position on the pay roll. (like Anderson or Neal).

I don't think the question can be, if a position is loaded or thin. Spurs need to stockpile talent, evaluate it and then decide. who would have thought that Green will take JA's spot? you just bring in the talent and keep whatever works. as long as you don't need to invest a boatload of money in this strategy, it seems the best way IMO.

Bruno
01-30-2012, 02:29 AM
Nando's highlight of a game he played in France a couple of weeks ago:
SKBVGiAIXRM

Nando is #22 purple and wears a protective mask.

Bruno
01-30-2012, 02:32 AM
BTW, Valencia has changed his coach to hire Velimir Perasovic. It's Nando's 6th coach in 4 years. :downspin:

Bruno
01-31-2012, 01:29 PM
http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/games/results/showgame?gamecode=113 :smokin

TimmehC
01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Damn nice performance from Nando.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
You know, he might be a reason Anderson's option wasn't picked up.

And his opponent's team name looks like an anagram tbh.

TheProfessor
01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
if it takes 2 years / 3-4 million, you might do it and start think about clearing a position on the pay roll. (like Anderson or Neal).

You know, he might be a reason Anderson's option wasn't picked up.
It didn't occur to me initially, but that's a possibility. Don't think that precludes signing Anderson if he finishes strong, but it does clear up some money for that kind of signing.

TheCerebral1
02-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Bring him over if possible and get rid of the trash that is Corey Joseph. TJ Ford has been a quality facilitator before he got hurt but this guy has been successful for a while now.

will_spurs
02-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Bring him over if possible and get rid of the trash that is Corey Joseph. TJ Ford has been a quality facilitator before he got hurt but this guy has been successful for a while now.

I don't get to see De Colo play during the regular season, but based on the Euro championship with France I wouldn't say his ball handling is great, he seems more like a really talented, versatile SG. So he'd probably be more a replacement to JA (assuming JA's game doesn't improve) than Joseph.

In other words I wouldn't say De Colo is as unidimensional as e.g. Neal, but I'm not sure he could be a backup PG for the Spurs. He is also not known for his defensive prowess...

BackHome
02-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Joseph needs at least two years in the D-League before he should be on the Spurs squad.

Mal
02-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Joseph needs at least two years in the D-League before he should be on the Spurs squad.

I wonder why take such guy. You can take some Jr / Sr point guard in late 1st round. Such guy is more NBA ready then any freshman avaible at moment could ever be.

SpurNation
02-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I wonder why take such guy. You can take some Jr / Sr point guard in late 1st round. Such guy is more NBA ready then any freshman avaible at moment could ever be.

Who knows. CoJo could be the next Jeremy Lin in hiding. Spurs are really really good at evaluating talent...especially in the guard positions. Anyway...even if he takes a couple of seasons to mature...I would think any player taken at his age and at the level of the draft taken would need time to mature.

K-State Spur
02-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Higher ceiling.

Spurs didn't get Parker/Ginobili by drafting older/more experienced guys who were more known quantities.

Guys who have a high ceiling and are ready to play off the bat are off the draft board before half the lottery is finished.

Mal
02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Higher ceiling.

Spurs didn't get Parker/Ginobili by drafting older/more experienced guys who were more known quantities.

Guys who have a high ceiling and are ready to play off the bat are off the draft board before half the lottery is finished.

I believe Spurs arent in position to take in 1st round a guy , and wait for him 3 years to develop. Not a point guard, where there are plenty of PG. I could understand investing in bigs, who needs time to develop, it is natural for them.

Who knows. CoJo could be the next Jeremy Lin in hiding. Spurs are really really good at evaluating talent...especially in the guard positions. Anyway...even if he takes a couple of seasons to mature...I would think any player taken at his age and at the level of the draft taken would need time to mature.

Suddenly every guy can be Jeremy Lin. Put Joseph in D`Anthony stupid b-ball system, and he could deliver nice stats, by taking every possible shot, passing to cutting men or wide open shooters in fast pace offense. Not a big deal.

CGD
02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm not convinced this guy can be an nba pg based on the videos; I agree that he looks like a sg combo guard right now. That said who has the better chance of ever coming over here, him or Hanga? Right now it seems like an either or, and I give Hanga the edge based in his athletism and size.

By my count the only 3 foreign players in the stash I see coming over within the next three years are Lorbek, Bartens, and either one of these guys. Anyone think realistically that any other player is viable?

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm not convinced this guy can be an nba pg based on the videos; I agree that he looks like a sg combo guard right now. That said who has the better chance of ever coming over here, him or Hanga? Right now it seems like an either or, and I give Hanga the edge based in his athletism and size.

By my count the only 3 foreign players in the stash I see coming over within the next three years are Lorbek, Bartens, and either one of these guys. Anyone think realistically that any other player is viable?I think there's a good chance Richards forces the issue next season. He would definitely be playing in Austin if he makes it out of training camp.

Mal
02-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Bertrans wont go to NBA, like in next 4 years.

ace3g
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
24writer ‏ @24writer

RT @TimC_PtR: Valencia (@NandoDeColo's team) has finished the Eurocup regular season undefeated.

BackHome
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM

By my count the only 3 foreign players in the stash I see coming over within the next three years are Lorbek, Bartens, and either one of these guys. Anyone think realistically that any other player is viable?

Adam Hanga and Lobrek will be legit NBA starters...

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-29-2012, 03:29 AM
Hanga a legit NBA starter? Which of his team's games have you watched?

Darkwaters
02-29-2012, 04:22 AM
I think Hanga definitely needs some more time against decent competition. It's only his first season out of the Hungarian League.

DeColo is probably worth a look this season. If Neal can be productive then my feelings on DeColo are improved. Unfortunately, they replicate many of the same skill-sets which makes him less valuable to us. Still worth a look though.

mountainballer
02-29-2012, 05:45 AM
I don't think it's either Neal or De Colo, b/c of their similar skill set. considering the low salary of Neal for next season, it wouldn't even be a problem if they steal minutes from one another. and having 2 such player on a 15 men roster isn't excessive either.
from what I did understand, it's now or maybe never for De colo to come over. turning 25 this summer Spurs can't expect that he further develops in Europe. an this summer he is a FA. if he can't get a deal done with the Spurs, he will likely search a 3 years deal in Europe, one that gives him some financial security. even with buy out clauses, we know that such contracts in Europe don't exactly raise the chance that a player comes overseas.

IMO Spurs should bring him in, no matter what plans they have with Neal.
(who will ask for a significant pay rise in 2013, this for sure). having both on the roster for next season might even turn out as the perfect scenario. De Colo has one year to learn and will be prepared to take the role of Neal if Neal leaves 2013. (Neal might/will get offers the Spurs don't want to match)

Bruno
02-29-2012, 07:31 AM
The situation for De Colo looks brighter than a couple of months ago. James Anderson is done as a Spur, Cory Joseph has looked bad and Ginobili is often injured. With De Colo having a good season, bringing him over this summer sounds more and more like a good idea.

Darkwaters
02-29-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't think it's either Neal or De Colo, b/c of their similar skill set. considering the low salary of Neal for next season, it wouldn't even be a problem if they steal minutes from one another. and having 2 such player on a 15 men roster isn't excessive either.
from what I did understand, it's now or maybe never for De colo to come over. turning 25 this summer Spurs can't expect that he further develops in Europe. an this summer he is a FA. if he can't get a deal done with the Spurs, he will likely search a 3 years deal in Europe, one that gives him some financial security. even with buy out clauses, we know that such contracts in Europe don't exactly raise the chance that a player comes overseas.

IMO Spurs should bring him in, no matter what plans they have with Neal.
(who will ask for a significant pay rise in 2013, this for sure). having both on the roster for next season might even turn out as the perfect scenario. De Colo has one year to learn and will be prepared to take the role of Neal if Neal leaves 2013. (Neal might/will get offers the Spurs don't want to match)

I'm not saying that I wouldn't bring in DeColo since we have Neal. I'm just saying, since we already have a player with a similar skill-set he is slightly less valuable to us. But I still think they could co-exist on the same team. Although, it'd be hard for them to coexist on the floor together....especially with either of Blair or Bonner out there.

BackHome
02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
I am not up on foreign players but from the film I have seen he would be as good as Manu is when he plays the PG position. He doesn't have Gary's outside shooting but he is a better passer and can get to the rim better then Gary. "No I am not saying he is a better baller then Gary"

Anderson is gone, Ford and Manu are getting long in the tooth so he would be a nice insurance policy that can cover two position.

ace3g
03-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Nando De Colo, drafted by the Spurs in the 2009 NBA Draft, is currently playing for Spanish team Valencia of the ACB League and in a recent win against French team Gravelines at the EuroCup, De Colo is showing marked improvement in his game. From timely assists, ability to get in the lane to hitting his outside shot, hopefully the Spurs can bring him in next summer for the Spurs' Summer League team to see if he is ready to make the jump to the NBA.

De Colo notched 19 points, 7 assists, 2 steals in 30 minutes for Valencia in a 69-63 win.

http://projectspurs.com/2012-articles/march/video-nando-de-colo-looking-good-in-recent-game.html

SKBVGiAIXRM&feature=player_embedded

benefactor
03-02-2012, 07:10 PM
His game is really looking legit. C'mon over, Nando.

ace3g
03-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Be nice to have a 6'5 back up PG; from the clips I've seen of him, he has dribbles with control and passes well. Might have to change his shooting form a bit, a little slow for the NBA; but he has range out to 3 point line.

Texas_Ranger
03-02-2012, 08:29 PM
De Colo can ball. He would be much better than Joseph, but I guess he doesn't want to play just 5-10 min per game. Next year if TJ is gone, bring him over.

8FOR!3
03-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Suddenly every guy can be Jeremy Lin. Put Joseph in D`Anthony stupid b-ball system, and he could deliver nice stats, by taking every possible shot, passing to cutting men or wide open shooters in fast pace offense. Not a big deal.

NOT A BIG DEAL?!?!

Sorry, South Park moment.

Darkwaters
03-18-2012, 09:21 AM
I wonder how the Stephen Jackson trade effects Nando? Hes made the statement that he wants to over to the NBA next season. But do we have room?

Under contract next year on the wings are:
Manu Ginobili
Stephen Jackson
Gary Neal
Kawhi Leonard

Danny Green is a free agent that probably deserves resigning as well.

That would give us five wings under contract next year before DeColo even comes into the equation. Now one bright point is that 3 of the players under contract next season will be in the final years of their deals (Ginobili, Jackson, Neal). It might make sense for DeColo to come learn an acclimate for a season and then take a more serious role the season after (ie, the Fabricio Oberto plan).

What do you think? Do we have room?

Redshadows
03-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I wonder how the Stephen Jackson trade effects Nando? Hes made the statement that he wants to over to the NBA next season. But do we have room?

Manu Ginobili
Stephen Jackson
Gary Neal
Kawhi Leonard

That would give us five wings under contract next year before DeColo even comes into the equation. Now one bright point is that 3 of the players under contract next season will be in the final years of their deals (Ginobili, Jackson, Neal). It might make sense for DeColo to come learn an acclimate for a season and then take a more serious role the season after (ie, the Fabricio Oberto plan).

Would let Green go and sign De Colo if the 2013-plan is true.

yavozerb
03-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Manu Ginobili
Stephen Jackson
Gary Neal
Kawhi Leonard

Yes, I believe the spurs do have room but that does not mean the spurs are as interested in de colo coming over as he is. With this many guards stacked up, I wonder if the spurs will be shopping Neal (ala Hill) for possibly a 10-20 pick. I believe his value is really good right now and a team who needs instant offense at a cheap price might just do it.

Hell no..Green is an all around player, De colo is an unknown player who would probably cost the same anyways...

Darkwaters
03-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Green is a quality low-cost signing. He knows the system and performs well in it. Not much upside left, but he'll be able to give you quality depth out of the 8-10 man rotation spot for years. Just a decent all around spark plug utility guy.

De Colo and Neal offer very similar skill sets while Green is somewhat unique in all he brings to the table. If Green can be retained on the cheap theres really no reason not to do it.

mountainballer
03-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Mills taking a roster spot 2012/2013 might mean none for De Colo. Spurs will have to many guards, no matter what the contract number for De Colo might be.

jesterbobman
03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Trade is definitely an option, an I'd guess that you could get far greater value for Neal than de Colo, with Neal being a known NBA quality player(I think de Colo will aswell, but he hasn't played here.) I'm not sure what you could get, but if you could sacrifice a little guard depth to upgrade the PF spot, you have to look at it.

Darkwaters
03-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Mills taking a roster spot 2012/2013 might mean none for De Colo. Spurs will have to many guards, no matter what the contract number for De Colo might be.

Are you thinking of DeColo more as a PG or a 2 guard? I think his NBA position is on the wings and not as the lead guy. He just doesn't have the footspeed required to keep up (see Neal right now). And if thats the case then I would think Patty Mills doesn't really factor into this equation.

BackHome
03-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Well signing Jackson is going to allow us to make adjustments to the team this summer.

C: Duncan/Splitter
PF: ?
SF: kawhi/Jackson
SG: Manu/Green
PF: Tony/Mills

So to me the biggest need is at PF...with the addition of Jackson who can hit the 3 is it necessary to have a PF who is one dimensional? So does it make sense to trade Bonner or just Amnesty him this summer?

We have terrible time trying to attract talent but I am hoping the we can sign Lobrek who will help us with our biggest need. To me he has the game where he can play with either Splitter or Duncan with no problems.

Blair is still cheap so unless a good trade comes up I would assume we keep him.

I put Green cause he is a great second unit guy who just brings a whole bunch of things to the game. Sign him!

At shooting guard we have Anderson and Neal. I don't think Anderson will be back and I do like Neal. But with the signing of Jackson and hopefully getting Lobrek we have different needs now. By that I mean we need someone who can handle the ball and create his own shot and be able to take it to the rim and finish. Not sure if that person comes through the draft or trade? Oh I forgot foot speed, lateral quickness to play good man on man defense.

At PG it depends on what we see this season though I am thinking we keep Mills as a pretty decent backup.

edmon
03-23-2012, 08:51 PM
you do realize that i've never been to europe. I'm a dumbshit that likes being bent over. In my whole life i only squeeled like a pig two times.

So yeah, i'm a redneck in arkansas, and always have been.

fify

Penya
04-07-2012, 01:19 PM
http://www.tubasket.com/noticia/valencia-basket-club/de-colo-ya-ha-dicho-al-valencia-euroliga-el-va-jugarla-tampoco-asegura-vaya-renovar/1512681/6303

De Colo won't play in Valencia next year if they don't play EuroLeague... And if they did, he might leave as well.
This report says that the Spurs are sending De Colo DVDs with the systems they want him to learn.

http://www.lasprovincias.es/v/20120228/deportes/valencia-bc/colo-suena-jugar-lado-20120228.html

This report is a bit older (1 month ago), and its headline is "De Colo dreams about playing alongside Parker in San Antonio". In addition, it looks like Splitter gave him great references about Spurs' organization. If you want me to translate both reports, I'll do it :toast

Bruno
04-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks, all signs point in the direction that Nando wish is to join Spurs. The question is whether or not Spurs want him.

And Nando is having a very good year. He is shooting the ball much better than last year. Spurs should at least be intrigued by what he is doing in Europe.

Mel_13
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks, all signs point in the direction that Nando wish is to join Spurs. The question is whether or not Spurs want him.

And Nando is having a very good year. He is shooting the ball much better than last year. Spurs should at least be intrigued by what he is doing in Europe.

Do you think that Nando has developed to the point that he could be an effective rotation player (even 12-15mpg) in the NBA?

Bruno
04-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Do you think that Nando has developed to the point that he could be an effective rotation player (even 12-15mpg) in the NBA?

I'm not sure he will succeed in NBA but he deserves a shot. Since he was drafted, he has improved a lot. He would be a nice cheap gamble to make.

Mel_13
04-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure he will succeed in NBA but he deserves a shot. Since he was drafted, he has improved a lot. He would be a nice cheap gamble to make.

Thanks.

Do you think he would sign a contract as team-friendly as Neal's? If he's willing to take that sort of deal, it's a very low risk signing for the Spurs.

Bruno
04-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Do you think he would sign a contract as team-friendly as Neal's? If he's willing to take that sort of deal, it's a very low risk signing for the Spurs.

I think De Colo might be a little more expensive than Neal (maybe $1M per year) but he should still be relatively cheap to get.

CubanMustGo
04-08-2012, 08:15 AM
I really overrate the level of non-NBA and especially Greek players.

fify

xellos88330
04-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Daniel Green and Gary Neal were not jack shit in Euroleague and they are rotation players for the Spurs.

Dragic, Jennings, Neal, Rubio, Lawson = a bunch of SCRUBS in Euroleague.

If such a mediocre player as Goran Dragic can tear apart the NBA, then De Colo could play in NBA with his eyes closed, and so could about 200-300 other players in Europe.

Then why do teams that kick serious ass in Europe have such a difficult time winning a preseason exhibition against some of the lower tier NBA teams?

objective
04-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Neal's cheap contract could be moved on draft night for a late first or 2nd (most likely) if they really wanted to clear room for De Colo.

Might not even need to if Green leaves as a free agent. Or if Mills declines his 2nd year option.

Mel_13
04-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Spanish language article about what Nando may do after he becomes a free agent when his contract ends on June 30th:

http://noticiasdealava.com/2012/04/12/baskonia/de-colo-se-deja-querer-por-los-grandes

Via Google translate:

The NBA is still my ultimate goal. I look ready to leap.

Bruno
04-12-2012, 02:42 PM
^ the sentence after that is also interesting: If I'm not ready to join the NBA, I never will.

It goes in the same direction than what he say to French media earlier this year. It's now or never for Spurs. Spurs will be De Colo's first option this summer but if they don't want him, he will forget the NBA and try to get the best contract possible in Europe. This new contract will likely be a long term one without a reasonable NBA buyout.

In another Spanish article, (http://www.laopiniondemalaga.es/unicaja/2012/04/11/caja-laboral-agenda-nando-colo/498907.html) Caja Laboral is rumored to be interested in him and has offered him a contract that will pay him more than €750K net per year. It's sure that De Colo having a very good season in Spain raises his market value there.

elemento
04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
It's the worst possible time to bring him.

The only way i see him coming is if someone overpays for Green and we let him go or if we trade Neal. Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense.

Can he play PG or is he a full-time SG?

Bruno
04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Can he play PG or is he a full-time SG?

Coaches differ on that point. De Colo has played for 6 different coaches these past 4 years, without counting FNT. Some of these coaches saw him more as a PG, some more as a SG and some played him both spots without a problem. Given his track record, Pop might fall in the category of coaches who will have no problem playing at the PG slot.

TimmehC
04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
I get the feeling Green and Anderson are both gone, and if that's the case, I'd like to see De Colo make the jump. He's not going to develop much more in Europe, he needs a bigger challenge.

BackHome
04-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I guess it depends on do we think he has the ball skills to handle backup PG and the foot speed to guard SG? Looking at we are probably letting Anderson walk, and depending if Patty Mills doesn't opt in we could use him.

I think he is good enough were we could package him and Blair for a late first or early second draft pick.

Bruno
05-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I've just read an interesting quote from Nando's agent in a French magazine:
"Time is coming. Spurs have let us know a very real intention (about signing Nando) for this offseason. We will know more about that after the draft depending on what moves they will do."

So, the interest about Nando joining Spurs is on both sides. :stirpot:

yavozerb
05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Bruno, would you rate NDC's ballhandling and overall skills at pg better than Neil?

Bruno
05-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Bruno, would you rate NDC's ballhandling and overall skills at pg better than Neil?

Nando is a way better ballhandler than Neal. His PG skills are better than most of the NBA's PGs skills.

There were two issues with De Colo to see him as a PG. The first one was that he wasn't steady enough and the second one is the defense. I would say that the steady part has been solved. Nando is playing way more under control and has reduced a lot his crazy plays. Defense would still be a big problem even if he has improve in that area by caring more about it and by having improved his body.

bluebellmaniac
05-16-2012, 05:21 PM
"Time is coming. Spurs have let us know a very real intention (about signing Nando) for this offseason. We will know more about that after the draft depending on what moves they will do."

Where does NDC land in terms of salary? Would he take the LLE or what's left over from the MLE after the Lorbek or Diaw signing?

Signing NDC and then Lorbek or Diaw would wrap up the off season with a good grade on acquisitions. .... we'd be sooooo bored!

Bruno
05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Where does NDC land in terms of salary? Would he take the LLE or what's left over from the MLE after the Lorbek or Diaw signing?

Signing NDC and then Lorbek or Diaw would wrap up the off season with a good grade on acquisitions. .... we'd be sooooo bored!

De Colo should be relatively cheap. A salary of $1M or $1.5M per year seems fair for a player of that level.
Getting Diaw or Lorbek and De Colo shouldn't be a problem for Spurs but getting all 3 will be hard to do.

ABC
05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I've been hoping the Spurs could get Diaw for the MLE, Lorbek for the LLE, and De Colo for a Mills-type minimum deal with a second year player option. Might be too much to ask. It will be an interesting off season regardless.

Mal
05-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Spurs are crowded these days. Already having 12 men rotation, then they have Lorbek and De Colo waiting in Europe.

TMTTRIO
05-16-2012, 08:59 PM
yeah we seem crowded and if we can win the championship this year than I can see most of our guys saying. After next season Manu's contract is up (I don't think he comes back) and we could use this kid then.

yavozerb
05-16-2012, 09:33 PM
yeah we seem crowded and if we can win the championship this year than I can see most of our guys saying. After next season Manu's contract is up (I don't think he comes back) and we could use this kid then.

Not so sure about that..When a team competes for a championship and goes deep in the playoffs those players who hit FA are usually hit pretty hard by teams. Players like Green and Diaw's stocks are raising with each game won in the playoffs.

Marcus Bryant
05-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Diaw should be a priority, skills like his are unique at the 4. Good fit chemistry wise and he's not yet 30 years old.

Do not know enough about Lorbek. Attraction seems to be that the Spurs might be able to get a $6 or $7MM a season big for half the price. The Spurs already have that guy in Splitter.

Upgrade at backup point is a need - do like Neal's ability to provide instant offense off the bench, though sometimes it goes both ways - but in all honesty it's not a major major issue. I think the addition of European players the Spurs have draft rights to will be driven by what happens with the Spurs' own free agents in this upcoming offseason.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-17-2012, 02:12 AM

:stirpot: More draft day trades. Blair and Neal on the hot seats.

lurker23
05-18-2012, 01:02 AM
The Spurs will not go into next season with Neal as their backup PG. They will only go into the season with Joseph as their backup point if he improves immensely under summer tutelage (and even then, a more veteran 3rd PG seems likely).

If De Colo is ready, then a Parker/De Colo/Joseph rotation at the point would be nice. If not, then expect Mills or another veteran to take that slot.

Bruno
05-18-2012, 01:07 AM
BTW, Nando played the first game of the spanish league playoffs yesterday: 26 points, 4 assists in 25:33min. :smokin

Boxscore: http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB56310.php

TDMVPDPOY
05-18-2012, 03:10 AM
imo if we can get him over, spurs should look at ways to trade up in the draft if they can sign and trade whatever players that is leaving

Uriel
05-18-2012, 06:30 AM
De Colo should be relatively cheap. A salary of $1M or $1.5M per year seems fair for a player of that level.
Getting Diaw or Lorbek and De Colo shouldn't be a problem for Spurs but getting all 3 will be hard to do.

Bruno, will we have to use part of our MLE to sign De Colo or can we get him on a rookie scale contract? If it's the former, won't signing De Colo then prevent us from having enough money to re-sign Diaw (assuming we'll be working with the mini-MLE)?

GuillermoDiazFan
05-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Poor man's Rudy Fernandez. Circus shot extraordinaire. He'll be eaten alive by NBA pgs if he plays the 1 and by NBA SGs if he defends the 2. Not enough shots as a NBA role-player to be a positive contributor.

Bruno
05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Bruno, will we have to use part of our MLE to sign De Colo or can we get him on a rookie scale contract? If it's the former, won't signing De Colo then prevent us from having enough money to re-sign Diaw (assuming we'll be working with the mini-MLE)?

Spurs should get the full MLE and not the mini-MLE this summer and there are no rookie scale for De Colo since he is a second round pick.

Keeping Diaw and getting De Colo should be easy to do. Diaw would get the MLE and De Colo would get the LLE. If you want to have Lorbek too, it will be more complicate and take some of these players to accept to take less money than their market value.

tesseractive
05-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Is Mills's contract for next year guaranteed (if he accepts the player option)? If we wanted to bring in Nando, are we at risk of having 4 PGs on the roster?

Bruno
05-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Is Mills's contract for next year guaranteed (if he accepts the player option)? If we wanted to bring in Nando, are we at risk of having 4 PGs on the roster?

Mills' situation is the following:
He has until June 25 to decide whether or not picking his player option. If he picks it up, his 2012-2013 salary will be $885,120 and will be fully guaranteed.
If he doesn't pick his option, Spurs will then have until June 30 to decide whether or not making him a RFA by tendering him a $1,085,120 QO. A QO is too fully guaranteed.

Another key date is the draft on June 28.

Knowing Spurs way, I think they will be straight up with him. Before June 25, Pop and/or RC will have a talk with him. You can imagine Spurs saying him 3 different things:
- We don't count on you for the backup PG slot. If you pick your option, you should stay at the end of the bench and we might even trade you. If you don't pick your option, we won't make a QO and we will let you your freedom to sign elsewhere.
- We will give you a shot at the backup PG slot if you pick your option.
- It will depend on what we will do on draft day. If you opt out, we will wait after the draft to decide whether or not making a QO for you.

BackHome
05-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Watching Nando's vids he always reminded me of a poor mans Manu. No that is slight to him more of a compliment because Manu is a Great Player.

It will be interesting to see what happens this summer with Patty and Neal I like them both but neither can guard the opposing players PG....Neal is to slow...and Patty can't fight through screens...But both can light it up from the outside.

tesseractive
05-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks, Bruno. :)

It will be interesting to see how things break. It would be great to see Nando in a Spurs uniform next year.

CGD
05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
After watching Neal this postseason, I think that "clutchness" element he brought last year isn't there. That really is his competitive advantage against someone like Patty Mills. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs move him before next year, and to give Mills a shot at the PG. The contracts (assuming Mills picks up his PO) are about the same. And if that's the case, that may open the door for Nando who may add a different dimension to the team, where Neal and Mills are duplicative in my mind (size, streakiness, deficiency at PG).

I hope I'm wrong about Neal, and that he hits a pivotal shot in these playoffs yet. There is still a long road ahead. Its not lost on me that he's had to play more PG than he's like; however, even when playing alongside Manu who frees him up to play his natural SG position, I really haven't been impressed with his postseason performance (yet).

Spurstro
05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
De Colo will sign with Real Madrid?

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-articles/may/report-de-colo-to-sign-with-real-madrid.html

Bruno
05-21-2012, 01:44 PM
It may be true but the source is kinda obscure. Take it with a grain of salt.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll wait for KBP to confirm the Real Madrid story, but Bruno did raise a point in another thread about the Spurs' dearth of perimeter bench speed. I'm assuming De Colo wouldn't help that much.

Bruno
05-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, De Colo isn't a that good fit with Spurs current roster.

Something else about this rumor is that they are talking about a preliminary contract. De Colo signed too a preliminary contract with Valencia before the 2009 draft. It was a contract that would only applied if De Colo didn't signed with a NBA team. If this preliminary contract with Madrid really exist, it's likely that he has the same clause. De Colo has repeatedly said that going in the NBA is his priority. Real Madrid would be a great backup plan for him.

Bruno
05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
It may be true but the source is kinda obscure. Take it with a grain of salt.

Well:
https://twitter.com/#!/LADYHOOOP/status/204651008322838528

Nando De Colo n'a pas signé au Real Madrid. Rumeur démentie par son agent

Translation: Nando De Colo hasn't signed with Real Madrid. The rumor has been denied by his agent.

sisibilio
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Well:
https://twitter.com/#!/LADYHOOOP/status/204651008322838528 (https://twitter.com/#%21/LADYHOOOP/status/204651008322838528)

Translation: Nando De Colo hasn't signed with Real Madrid. The rumor has been denied by his agent.
Of course he's got to deny it with his team still in competition, that doesn't mean they haven't already reached an agreement.

Biggems
05-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Bruno......do you think the Spurs would be able to re-sign Duncan, Green, Diaw, and Mills?

If so, do you think they can bring over Lorbek, Sani, and de Colo?

Finally, I do not know how the CBA works, but do you think the Spurs could possibly sign Anderson and then trade he, Blair, and Joseph to NJ for Humphries (BTW, NJ would have to re-sign Humphries)?

If so, the Spurs would have this lineup

C - Diaw, Splitter, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Humphries, Lorbek
SF - Leonard, Jackson, Sani
SG - Green, Manu, Neal
PG - Parker, Mills, de Colo

I honestly believe if we could pull it off, we would definitely be a Championship contender next season.....with good health, we would be the front runners.

I just want your thoughts on this, especially the Euro players since you have an immense amount of knowledge on the subject.

Mal
05-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Bruno......do you think the Spurs would be able to re-sign Duncan, Green, Diaw, and Mills?

Finally, I do not know how the CBA works, but do you think the Spurs could possibly sign Anderson and then trade he, Blair, and Joseph to NJ for Humphries (BTW, NJ would have to re-sign Humphries)?

If so, the Spurs would have this lineup

C - Diaw, Splitter, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Humphries, Lorbek
SF - Leonard, Jackson, Sani
SG - Green, Manu, Neal
PG - Parker, Mills, de Colo

I honestly believe if we could pull it off, we would definitely be a Championship contender next season.....with good health, we would be the front runners.

I just want your thoughts on this, especially the Euro players since you have an immense amount of knowledge on the subject.

Wow, even deeper rotation. And fyi Humphries is 7mln/year player or more. Sanikidze (Sani) sucks.

Anonymous Cowherd
05-29-2012, 03:37 AM
We can't sign Anderson.

Trading Neal/CJ/Blair for Humphries... wouldn't work financially.

admiralsnackbar
05-29-2012, 04:57 AM
We can't sign Anderson.

Trading Neal/CJ/Blair for Humphries... wouldn't work financially.
We can sign Anderson, we just won't.

And no need for a trade -- KH is an UFA. The "wouldn't work financially" part is still on-point, though... unless we were to trade Stephen Jackson and Timmy were to agree to a heroically reduced salary this summer.

Bruno
05-29-2012, 05:39 AM

It will be difficult to make that scenario work. It will take a lot of players signing below their market value and Nets being fine with this S&T which I doubt.

Even in the unlikely case Spurs could do this scenario, they shouldn't do it. Depth is for sure great but too much depth is negative. Spurs have experienced it in 2010 at SG/SF with Ginobili, Jefferson, Hill, Bogans, Finley and Mason. The result was Mason asking for a trade and Finley buying out his contract. In your scenario, the team is definitively too deep at PF/C.

Speaking of De Colo, he is playing the Spanish league semifinal against Barcelona and Lorbek. It's a best of 5 series in a 2-2-1 format. Teams are tied 1-1 after the first 2 games played in Barcelona.
In the first game, Barcelona blew Valencia out. Lorbek was great and destroyed Valencia when the game was still relatively close. De Colo was a disaster in that game.
In the second game, Valencia surprisingly won after a slow start. De Colo made some huge plays in the clutch time. Lorbek wasn't bad but he had a limited impact. De Colo made a great/crazy pass in that game too: http://acbtv.acb.com/video/5063-lacb-20112012-playoff-39-de_colo_ve_huecos_que_nadie_mas_es_capaz_de_ver

Mal
05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
5 bigmen rotation is good. Duncan , Lorbek, Bonner, Tiago, Diaw is optimal. With Leonard playing 4 in smallball lineups. But going Parker, Gino, Green, Mills, Neal, Joseph and De Colo at guards it`s way too much.

Only way De Colo will be a Spur next year is when Green is out, Joseph is traded or demoted for a year, and he will sign for around 1mil.

tesseractive
05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
5 bigmen rotation is good. Duncan , Lorbek, Bonner, Tiago, Diaw is optimal. With Leonard playing 4 in smallball lineups. But going Parker, Gino, Green, Mills, Neal, Joseph and De Colo at guards it`s way too much.

Only way De Colo will be a Spur next year is when Green is out, Joseph is traded or demoted for a year, and he will sign for around 1mil.

I agree that 7 guards is ridiculous. Mills has a player option, so De Colo might be a possibility if Mills exercises his option and goes somewhere else.

Unless Joseph makes a huge leap, he's in no way a realistic option for NBA minutes next year.

BackHome
05-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Joseph is going to be playing in the D-Leauge next year...

bluebellmaniac
05-31-2012, 08:59 AM

Parker, DeColo and Mills will be our PGs, probably in that order.
Green, Manu and Neal are our SG, probably in that order too.

Given that Manu can play point for small periods of time, it would take injuries to a couple of our PGs before Joseph gets called up from the Toros, where I would think he'll spend virtually all next season, or at least the maximum time a player can spend in the D-League if there is a limit. Think of Joseph as a 'hot spare', and our depth looks strong instead of too much.

angelbelow
06-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Parker, DeColo and Mills will be our PGs, probably in that order.
Green, Manu and Neal are our SG, probably in that order too.

Given that Manu can play point for small periods of time, it would take injuries to a couple of our PGs before Joseph gets called up from the Toros, where I would think he'll spend virtually all next season, or at least the maximum time a player can spend in the D-League if there is a limit. Think of Joseph as a 'hot spare', and our depth looks strong instead of too much.

Is DeColo a capable PG? Or is it simply "better than Neal" at this point?

Bruno
06-02-2012, 04:17 AM
En of the season for Nando. Valencia lost 3-1 in semifinal against Barcelona. Nando has had a huge game 4. All in all, he has had a great season even if he should be more consistent.

Rumors from Spain are that he will join Spurs this summer:
http://encestando.es/?p=32228

Redshadows
06-02-2012, 10:05 AM
De Colo rumored to come means Neal done as a spur? Cause it makes no sense to keep both De Colo and Neal.

Does Neal worth a 20+ first round pick this year?

yavozerb
06-02-2012, 12:02 PM
De Colo rumored to come means Neal done as a spur? Cause it makes no sense to keep both De Colo and Neal.

Does Neal worth a 20+ first round pick this year?

Why would it not make sense?...Both Neal and Manu will be entering the final seasons of there contract next season and Green is a FA this coming offseason. As long as the Spurs sign there key FA's 1st (lorbek or Diaw, Green) and as long as De colo comes for cheap then there is no reason not to bring him over.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Anyone think he'll get Oberto-type treatment? I don't get the feeling the Spurs would try to put him in the rotation right when he comes over (unless he's that amazing). Perhaps get spot minutes in the first year behind Parker/Manu/Neal/Green(/Joseph?) and then become a key rotation player in '14?

tesseractive
06-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Anyone think he'll get Oberto-type treatment? I don't get the feeling the Spurs would try to put him in the rotation right when he comes over (unless he's that amazing). Perhaps get spot minutes in the first year behind Parker/Manu/Neal/Green(/Joseph?) and then become a key rotation player in '14?

Even if De Colo does come over, unless we trade Neal or someone kills it in training camp and preseason, I predict we'll start the season with the same rotation we have now, with Cory still in Austin and Nando on the third string in Patty Mills's spot. If he earns the minutes at some point, he'll have a chance to take over as the backup point.

Bruno
06-02-2012, 03:02 PM
For the moment, there is only one source reporting that De Colo would go to Spurs so I'm taking with a grain of salt like the earlier rumor he would go to Madrid. Hopefully, we will have more news in the coming days.

Regarding his playing time, it will mainly depend on 2 questions:
Will Pop continue the Neal at PG experiment?
Will Pop play Nando at the PG spot?

yavozerb
06-02-2012, 03:28 PM
For the moment, there is only one source reporting that De Colo would go to Spurs so I'm taking with a grain of salt like the earlier rumor he would go to Madrid. Hopefully, we will have more news in the coming days.

Regarding his playing time, it will mainly depend on 2 questions:
Will Pop continue the Neal at PG experiment?
Will Pop play Nando at the PG spot?

If pop has no problem giving Neal the back pg position then he should have no problem letting NDC play the same position. They both are horrible defenders with Neal being a better scorer and NDC being the better ball handler.

angelbelow
06-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Realgm is reporting the same thing but via San Antonio Express-News (which uses the same source that Bruno provided).

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221354/Report_De_Colo_To_Join_Spurs_For_12_13

mountainballer
06-03-2012, 09:48 AM
could mean that Spurs don't bring in Lorbek, which would have some logic.
MLE will likely be used for Diaw and LLE likely won't be enough for Lorbek, but enough for DE Colo. after re signing Diaw an acquisition of Lorbek is no longer a major need anyway.

btw. I don't care about the possible back court rotation at this point. Spurs should just stockplie talent and then figuere out whatever works best. if DeColo pushes Neal out of the rotation...so be it. Neal makes 850K next season, so even if he ends up as a 3rd stringer behind De colo next year, he just makes the money any other 3rd stringer would make either.

tesseractive
06-03-2012, 11:31 AM
btw. I don't care about the possible back court rotation at this point. Spurs should just stockplie talent and then figuere out whatever works best. if DeColo pushes Neal out of the rotation...so be it. Neal makes 850K next season, so even if he ends up as a 3rd stringer behind De colo next year, he just makes the money any other 3rd stringer would make either.
Besides, if he gets knocked out of the rotation, Neal is still great injury insurance for Manu (or whoever else in the backcourt). If that's how it works out, it's a great luxury to have someone like that as an 11th or 12th man, just like it's great having Blair to call on when Bonner implodes.

SenorSpur
06-03-2012, 02:16 PM
MLE will likely be used for Diaw and LLE likely won't be enough for Lorbek, but enough for DE Colo. after re signing Diaw an acquisition of Lorbek is no longer a major need anyway.

If Lorbek is delayed another year or so, that's just fine. At this point, the Spurs do not need another soft-shelled Euro big. They need a young, athletic, rookie big, who possesses some of the aggression and necessary skills needed to help combat a young talented frontline such the one in OKC. There are a couple of prospective project bigs that could be available in the second round. Bernard James, Henry Sims & Jonas Bergstedt are some immediate examples that come to mind.

The Spurs did a good job of identifying and bringing in Leonard to shore up the SF position for years to come. They now need to do the same thing for the PF/C spot.

Bruno
06-03-2012, 02:43 PM
While it's not 100% sure that De Colo will sign with Spurs, this rumor seems to be really strong.

A french journalist (Pascal Giberné) has contacted his agent. A quick translation about what he is saying on his twitter about that:
https://twitter.com/#!/PascalGibBN

- Nando De Colo's agent, Wassim Boutanaos, seems to be confident about his client playing for Spurs next year.
- Boutanos talked ten days ago with Dennis Lindsey Spurs assistant GM. Talks were encouraging.
- According to Boutanos, De Colo's singing will depend on what kind of contract Duncan will get.
- Boutanos quote: "Dennis Lindsey told me that in all their projections for next year roster, Nando was a part of it."
- According to Boutanos, most of the big Spanish teams playing the Euroleague are also interested in De Colo.

benefactor
06-03-2012, 07:41 PM
While it's not 100% sure that De Colo will sign with Spurs, this rumor seems to be really strong.

A french journalist (Pascal Giberné) has contacted his agent. A quick translation about what he is saying on his twitter about that:

- Nando De Colo's agent, Wassim Boutanaos, seems to be confident about his client playing for Spurs next year.
- Boutanos talked ten days ago with Dennis Lindsey Spurs assistant GM. Talks were encouraging.
- According to Boutanos, De Colo's singing will depend on what kind of contract Duncan will get.
- Boutanos quote: "Dennis Lindsey told me that in all their projections for next year roster, Nando was a part of it."
- According to Boutanos, most of the big Spanish teams playing the Euroleague are also interested in De Colo.
:tu

Redshadows
06-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Do keeping Diaw and signing De Colo mean that no way Spurs could get Loberk?

Bruno
06-04-2012, 05:37 AM
Do keeping Diaw and signing De Colo mean that no way Spurs could get Loberk?

As mountainballer said earlier the key with Lorbek is whether or not he will accept a LLE deal deal ($4M over 2 years).

If Lorbek wants more than the LLE, Spurs will have to decide if they want him or Diaw. Once Spurs have decided between Lorbek and Diaw, they can sign De Colo with the rest of the MLE or the LLE.

If Lorbek is fine with the LLE, Spurs can sign both him and Diaw. Signing De Colo on top of that would be difficult. It would take De Colo accepting a minimum deal, which I don't think he will or Diaw and De Colo splitting the MLE with Diaw getting a contract starting at $3.5M-$4M per year and De Colo getting the rest of the MLE ($1M-$1.5M).

If you looked at what De Colo's agent is saying, I guess Spurs are in the first case. They will had to make a pick between Diaw and Lorbek.

BTW, De Colo has given an interview in today's newspaper but he has said way less things than his agent did. He just said that he hasn't signed a contract or a pre-contract and that he is just waiting to see what offers he will receive.

Redshadows
06-04-2012, 06:34 AM
As mountainballer said earlier the key with Lorbek is whether or not he will accept a LLE deal deal ($4M over 2 years).

If Lorbek wants more than the LLE, Spurs will have to decide if they want him or Diaw. Once Spurs have decided between Lorbek and Diaw, they can sign De Colo with the rest of the MLE or the LLE.

If Lorbek is fine with the LLE, Spurs can sign both him and Diaw. Signing De Colo on top of that would be difficult. It would take De Colo accepting a minimum deal, which I don't think he will or Diaw and De Colo splitting the MLE with Diaw getting a contract starting at $3.5M-$4M per year and De Colo getting the rest of the MLE ($1M-$1.5M).

If you looked at what De Colo's agent is saying, I guess Spurs are in the first case. They will had to make a pick between Diaw and Lorbek.

BTW, De Colo has given an interview in today's newspaper but he has said way less things than his agent did. He just said that he hasn't signed a contract or a pre-contract and that he is just waiting to see what offers he will receive.
Thanks.

Bruno
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM

The full interview is now available:
http://www.basketnews.net/asp.net/main.news/details.aspx?id=13458

Translation:

A lot of rumors coming form Spain are announcing Nando De Colo to Spurs this summer?
There is a true wish from them to have him for the next season. Since the start of the season, they are happy with his improvements. However, nothing is signed since it's not allowed by NBA rules. And the question for them is if they will succeed at re-signing Tim Duncan. It's their priority before talking with other players including Nando.

Have you talked with them recently?
Our last talk with Spurs was ten days ago with Dennis Lindsey. We stay in touch with them. Spurs are one of the few NBA franchises that really follow a player after having drafted him. For three years, Nando has received each year three visits from a member of Spurs FO. RC Buford was in Valencia a month ago to see him.

What do they think about Nando's improvement and what have they said to him?
In how they projected his evolution, they have liked his improvement on the defensive end and his ability to play both guards spots. After three years in Spain, they think Nando is ready to play a role with them. More precisely, Dennis Lindsey tell me today: In all our roster projections for the next season, Nando is a part of it. Now, nothing is signed, there are still some items to talk about but it seems to be on a good way.

Would you say it's 70-30?
I won't take the risk with kind of proposition. There is a true wish for Nando to go in the NBA. With all the specificity of this franchise, Tony, Boris, their coach, the game played in San Antonio suits him well. Saying that, as long as it isn't signed, it isn't signed. During the more June and more precisely at the end of it, we will know for sure. And if it didn't happen, some Spanish teams playing the Euroleague are interested.

Some big Spanish teams are after him? Which ones?
Their names are known. Nando has never hidden what he wanted. If he had to stay in Europe, his priority is to play the Euroleague and to stay in Spain. Spanish teams qualified for the Euroleague are known. Real Madrid is interested in him but with their roster loaded with guards, so they aren't necessarily the best destination for him. However, if I say Malaga, Vitoria and Barcelona, they are true options. Nando is reaching the end of his contract so he is free to decide where he will go and San Antonio will have no buyout to pay.

Outside of San Antonio, are there other NBA franchises interested in Nando?
There aren't. San Antonio's wish was to follow Nando and they let everybody know that they wanted to keep him. Spurs have never talk to us about another NBA franchise wanting to acquire his rights.

tomtom
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
How does he compare to Neal?

smaka
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM

I've only watched him play few games but I think he is much better ball handler.

Steve-O-Matic
06-04-2012, 02:45 PM

He doesn't, beyond their comparable size and athletic traits. Neal is vastly superior as a shooter and scorer, whereas De Colo is vastly superior as a ballhandler and distributor. Both are generously considered 'combo' guards, but the reality is that De Colo is as much a liability playing the 2 as Neal is playing the point. Having both on the court at the same time would be an ugly sight defensively.

Mal
06-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Not the same type of player. Neal is a shooter, De Colo plays more athletics basket. He can shoot, can drive to basket, draw some contact. His ballhandling skills looked really good.

Valencia used him as their closer, and prime weapon at iso situations during ACB semifinals. He seemed solid at doing it. Made some buckets. Valencia lost deciding game because of 3 stupid decisions made by his teammate. When De Colo had ball, Valencia was effecient on offense.

Cant say anything specific about his defens. He`s not a road pole, I am sure of this.

objective
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I'd rather have De Colo here than Neal.

ace3g
06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
This series is really emphasizing the importance of back up ball handler/point guard, no more turning 2 guards into PGs. Neal is ok when Manu is out there with hiim, but there are times when that isn't available, and the Spurs offense goes downhill in this series.

I'll take a slow ball handler over a slow shooter (both aren't great defensively) for the back up PG spot. I don't have a problem with Neal on the roster, just Pop has to stick with him at the SG spot.

Bruno
06-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I'll take a slow ball handler over a slow shooter (both aren't great defensively) for the back up PG spot. I don't have a problem with Neal on the roster, just Pop has to stick with him at the SG spot.

"slow ball handler" isn't really a good definition for De Colo. While it's true he hasn't a quick first step or good lateral mobility, he isn't a slow player. He is a player that fasten the game.

De Colo is too a great shooter. His 3P% might not be great but that's mainly because he take complicated 3 point shots in Europe where he is often the central point of the offense. A good stat to show what kind of shooter he is are his FT%.
Over 3 years in Spain, he has played 155 games in Spanish league and European competitions. In these 155 games, he is 378/422 from the line. It's a 89.6% FT%. You can't do that without being a heck of a shooter.

BackHome
06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Well with Neal sucking in this last game and him not being on the flight to OK I can see us trading him real quick this summer. All I hope is De Colo a player who plays better in crunch time or is he like Bonner who turns into Butter?

ace3g
06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
The problem with Bonner is that he never worked on anything other than his 3 pt shot (and he doesn't even do that well). He should have learned to take advantage of that skill by working on a decent pump fake drive move and/or post game around the basket.

Green could evolve to the next level as well if he incorporates a pump fake/drive to the basket. You have to be able to drive and finish at the basket when your shot isn't falling or you will be useless out there.

---

Yeah and Bruno didn't really mean De Colo was slow just speed isn't one of his listed skill sets, same for Neal, and for the back up PG spot (even if it is a combo guard) you need to be able to handle the ball.

SenorSpur
06-06-2012, 12:52 AM
This series is really emphasizing the importance of back up ball handler/point guard, no more turning 2 guards into PGs. Neal is ok when Manu is out there with hiim, but there are times when that isn't available, and the Spurs offense goes downhill in this series.

This series is also emphasizing the Spurs need for a decent, young post player, with size, skill and athleticism.

yavozerb
06-06-2012, 08:04 AM
This series is also emphasizing the Spurs need for a decent, young post player, with size, skill and athleticism.

when the spurs draft in the lottery maybe you will see one these type players playing in a spurs uni..not until then

BackHome
06-09-2012, 12:05 PM
When Timmy and Manu are gone then will get that young guy until then just sign Lobrek and De Colo and call that your draft.

CGD
06-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Boris didnt help his case in the last games of the series. I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs were once in the plan of trying to sign both, but now shifted to an either or approach. For the record I like Diaw, but his aggression in games 1&2 versus the rest of the series was noticeable. I'm not sure if that is all on him, or on Pop not using him to attack more.

BackHome
06-10-2012, 05:19 PM

Forget Diaw he doesn't do anything we need which is defend and hit open shots. SIGN LOBREK

SamoanTD
06-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I would sign him trade Neal and Lorbek for a better pick in the draft honestly.

BackHome
06-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Forget that go with trading Neal+Blair and then maybe trade Bonner since he has only one year left on his contract.

ace3g
06-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Canal NBA ‏@Canal_NBA

Rdv ce soir à 20h45 pour un retour très complet sur le match 1 ! Aux côtés de @VinceRadureau et @JMonclar, Nando De Colo et Mike Gelabale

Appointment tonight at 8:45 p.m. for a comprehensive return on a game! Alongside @ @ VinceRadureau and JMonclar, Nando De Colo and Mike Gelabale

--

I wonder if the Spurs will come up

--

Valencia VP: De Colo determined to play in the NBA

De Colo's current team's (Valencia) Vice President, Paco Raga, spoke on whether or not De Colo will be heading to the NBA (via TuBasket.com) and stated he thinks De Colo is NBA bound.

I think he is going to the NBA. We will make an offer for him to stay but everything has a limit but I think he is determined to go to the NBA and there's nothing we can do.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-articles/june/valencia-vp-de-colo-determined-to-play-in-the-nba.html

BackHome
06-15-2012, 06:26 PM
So for sure:

PG: Parker/ De Colo
SG: Manu/De Colo
SF: Kawhi
PF:
C: Duncan

The other players are on the trading block or should I say some of them Better be on the block:

Neal - Great offense with terrible defense but still with generate interest
Blair - Can produce if given minutes is cheap and teams need to get under the cap
Green - I want him back just as long as we don't break the bank
Diaw - Their was not argument until the playoffs now I am liking Lobrek a lot more.
Splitter - Like him but after Pop when postal on him on national T.V I don't know what happens...Pop was as ass for doing that.
Bonner - GET THE FCK OUT!

Trades:

I like were we trade SJ to the Honrets for Okafor and and maybe Xavier Henry plus their 10 rd draft. We could even throw in our first rounder next year as long as it is protected top ten. We then draft SG Terrence Ross 6'7 or Myers Leondard 7'1

Then look at trading Neal and Blair for late first rounder or early second rounds.

Then look at trading Bonner he pretty much wil be for a team looking to shed contract next year that shoud give us at least a high scond round pickin 2013.

Then sign Lobrke and De Colo.

Done take out Cigar and smoke em if ya got em.

maverick1948
06-16-2012, 04:34 PM
So for sure:

PG: Parker/ De Colo
SG: Manu/De Colo
SF: Kawhi
PF:
C: Duncan

The other players are on the trading block or should I say some of them Better be on the block:

Neal - Great offense with terrible defense but still with generate interest
Blair - Can produce if given minutes is cheap and teams need to get under the cap
Green - I want him back just as long as we don't break the bank
Diaw - Their was not argument until the playoffs now I am liking Lobrek a lot more.
Splitter - Like him but after Pop when postal on him on national T.V I don't know what happens...Pop was as ass for doing that.
Bonner - GET THE FCK OUT!

Trades:

I like were we trade SJ to the Honrets for Okafor and and maybe Xavier Henry plus their 10 rd draft. We could even throw in our first rounder next year as long as it is protected top ten. We then draft SG Terrence Ross 6'7 or Myers Leondard 7'1

Then look at trading Neal and Blair for late first rounder or early second rounds.

Then look at trading Bonner he pretty much wil be for a team looking to shed contract next year that shoud give us at least a high scond round pickin 2013.

Then sign Lobrke and De Colo.

Done take out Cigar and smoke em if ya got em.

There are NO 10 rd draft. Also, SJax will not bring Okafor and #10 pick much less adding in Henry. Trading for #10 pick and Okafor would cost SJ and Splitter at minumum. I do hope you know that trades have to match in money for us.

:toast

BackHome
06-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Ok trade SJ and Bonner for Okafor and their 10th pick does that work for ya?

Redshadows
06-18-2012, 06:07 AM
I hope De Colo would take the place of Neal.

Redshadows
06-18-2012, 06:24 AM
I watched a video of him and, wow, his passing is damn amazing.

benefactor
06-18-2012, 06:52 AM
I hope De Colo would take the place of Neal.
He'll take Mills spot on the roster next season.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-18-2012, 07:06 AM
There are NO 10 rd draft. Also, SJax will not bring Okafor and #10 pick much less adding in Henry. Trading for #10 pick and Okafor would cost SJ and Splitter at minumum. I do hope you know that trades have to match in money for us.

:toast

Okafor has over $25M in salary due the next two seasons. Eating that, and only sending ending deals might just pull you that #10 pick.

I think N.O. is trying to avoid the scenario that OKC is facing where Harden and Ibaka were picked in the same draft, they've already paid a couple of other players, and they now essentially have to choose one of them.

elemento
06-18-2012, 10:26 AM
NOLA has made it clear that they don't want to simply dump Okafor with the 10th pick. They want more than that.

Even though Okafor massively overpaid, he is still the only starting material Center NOLA has right now. So i don't think they're that desperate to move him.

They could simply draft Davis and Lillard with their picks and keep Okafor.

BackHome
06-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Isn't Kaman still with them?

AFBlue
06-18-2012, 07:31 PM
How many threads have been infultrated with Okafor/#10 talk? I can't escape this ridiculous, fabricated rumor and it's annoying.

Let's talk De Colo...is a poor man's Manu the right comparison from a skill-set perspective?

TimmehC
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
How many threads have been infultrated with Okafor/#10 talk? I can't escape this ridiculous, fabricated rumor and it's annoying.

Let's talk De Colo...is a poor man's Manu the right comparison from a skill-set perspective?

Offensively, that's pretty apt. Defensively, he's turribul.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-18-2012, 08:56 PM
NOLA has made it clear that they don't want to simply dump Okafor with the 10th pick. They want more than that.

Even though Okafor massively overpaid, he is still the only starting material Center NOLA has right now. So i don't think they're that desperate to move him.

They could simply draft Davis and Lillard with their picks and keep Okafor.

Sigh. I don't WANT to send them Jack. He's a valuable playoff commodity, and would be of no use to N.O.

N.O. #10/Okafor

for

Splitter/Bonner/Blair/CoJo/Byars unguaranteed contract

Splitter and CoJo are assets and former first rounders. Bonner is almost an ending contract ($1M guaranteed in 2013-14), and Byars and Blair can be cut immediately if they want. Blair is also cheap if they want to keep him for next year. N.O. gets a young PG, a scoring big, and somewhere in the vicinity of $20M in salary relief.

CGD
06-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Is he more of a PG, or is he a SG masquerading as a PG? I really have no clue as to his game other than the French posters here have good things to say about him.

But hey, if Cory Joseph can get a shot at PG . . .

CGD
06-18-2012, 11:06 PM
I like Dragic from Houston but you have to think he's a starter in this league, not tps back up

BackHome
06-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Is he more of a PG, or is he a SG masquerading as a PG? I really have no clue as to his game other than the French posters here have good things to say about him.

But hey, if Cory Joseph can get a shot at PG . . .

Cory has ZEROj chance at the PG with Nando coming over.

Spurs4#5
06-21-2012, 11:35 PM
How is nandos defense?

racm
06-22-2012, 05:37 AM
How is nandos defense?

Got decent size for a combo guard. If he's at least a George Hill...

dbestpro
06-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Exactly. De Colo reminds me of Manu. But he doesn't have Manu's quickness or ultimate aggressiveness. But De Colo has a very good jumper, high basketball IQ, excellent passer, and he might be a tad bit better defender than Manu. He would be an instant upgrade to the Spurs roster at backup PG.

Sounds like Beno without the headaches.

TXstbobcat
06-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Exactly. De Colo reminds me of Manu. But he doesn't have Manu's quickness or ultimate aggressiveness. But De Colo has a very good jumper, high basketball IQ, excellent passer, and he might be a tad bit better defender than Manu. He would be an instant upgrade to the Spurs roster at backup PG.

I'm excited to hopefully see De Colo play for the spurs next season if they sign him.

Bruno
06-24-2012, 04:11 AM
It looks like it's going well on the De Colo's front for Spurs. Baring a last minute snag, he will be a Spur.

From today's french newspaper:

De Colo dreams too about San Antonio
Focused on the training for the Olympics games, the French NT player is very close to sign with Spurs for the next season.

[...]
He is only one signing away from going from Valencia to the Texas and from the Spanish league to the NBA. He is expected to go to the San Antonio Spurs, the team that drafted with the 53rd spot of the 2009 draft. They should make him a concrete contract offer in early July: "Agents, said De Colo, are taking care of that. Whatever happens, there is a place for me. It's in a good way".

If Spurs are primary focused on the contract extension of Tim Duncan, thair second item on their priority list is Nando De Colo! "That's what they told me" confirmed the interested player who is too directly discussing, through email, with Spurs GM, RC Buford. "He tells that it's progressing well and that San Antonio is one of the most professional franchise in the NBA for that kind of subject." However, De Colo never goes too high because of words: "I'm not like that. And nothing is signed. There as so much stories where people are telling things to you and finally nothign happens. For the moment, I'm not thinking at it. It can be a logical continuation for my career. If it happens, I would be happy about it."

SamoanTD
06-24-2012, 04:21 AM
Well looks like we have are back up PG unless CoJo comes up big in SL but don't see that happening. Now we need to address are front line.

racm
06-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Instant upgrade over Neal? Has size and defensive awareness, which are the two things Neal as a combo guard sorely lacks.

Which makes me ask: is he a turnover machine?

BackHome
06-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Dang I hope Lobrek changes his mind and signs with us.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Dang I hope Lobrek changes his mind and signs with us.

Thread determination fail.

ace3g
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
He had 13 points against Italy today, not sure on assists (no boxscore). Some of the tweets I read, he was aggressive to the basket while also playing the PG spot well (good passes etc).

Bruno
06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I saw most of the first two games FNT played against Italy "B" team (they are without all their best players).

De Colo was the starting PG and looked good. Like he has shown in Spain this year, he has no issue at all playing the PG slot and he is still terrific in the pick and roll.

Aside of De Colo, Diaw was in a full passing mode, Seraphin is a beast and Gobert is a heck of a prospect. Some Italian players show some nice things too.

BackHome
06-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Bruno if we can't get Lobrek do you see any other foreign player that the Spurs could bring over?

racm
06-30-2012, 03:54 AM
I saw most of the first two games FNT played against Italy "B" team (they are without all their best players).

De Colo was the starting PG and looked good. Like he has shown in Spain this year, he has no issue at all playing the PG slot and he is still terrific in the pick and roll.

Aside of De Colo, Diaw was in a full passing mode, Seraphin is a beast and Gobert is a heck of a prospect. Some Italian players show some nice things too.

If De Colo's game translates well to the NBA he'll be killing it behind Tony (and eventually take over the starting spot). Seraphin is a guy I'd expect to be Washington's first big off the bench or even a starter, depending on health.

Bruno
06-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Bruno if we can't get Lobrek do you see any other foreign player that the Spurs could bring over?

Well, there are a lot of foreign players that could be interesting. The best of the bunch is likely Nenad Krstic who has already been successful in NBA. Teletovic would be a fine stretch PF. He was a chucker but he has improved a lot these past couple of years.

Bruno
06-30-2012, 07:31 AM
FNT played a 3rd game in 3 days against a very weak Ivory Coast team. They were up 52-17 in the middle of third quarter before taking it easy to end the game with a 78-41 score. De Colo was fine but it's hard to draw conclusion with that kind of games.

Some players were cut after the game. What's interesting is FNT coach has let go both backup PGs (Thicamboud and Albicy). A reason of this move is that they have been really bad but another is that, unlike in the past, FNT coach has been really sold on De Colo ability to play PG.

A nice little assist, he made yesterday:
iU2yh77ZwYs

Wild Cobra Kai
06-30-2012, 08:45 AM
If De Colo's game translates well to the NBA he'll be killing it behind Tony (and eventually take over the starting spot). Seraphin is a guy I'd expect to be Washington's first big off the bench or even a starter, depending on health.

If his defense is as bad as advertised, being a bench player would be his limit.

racm
06-30-2012, 09:49 AM
If his defense is as bad as advertised, being a bench player would be his limit.

Tbh if Denmon plays better D than him he'll see the rotation first :lol

T Park
06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Ive been told this morning that De Colo is another wing and therefore "not someone I'd see the spurs wanting"

Also "euro scouts view De Colo as a 2 guard, not a PG"

DPG21920
06-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Jeff McDonald does not know what he is talking about, Park.

T Park
07-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Him and writers at pound the rock were the ones arguing with me this morning.

I'll lay my opinions basis from Bruno's observations. If Bruno says he's got good PG skills I believe Bruno.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
translation:

Basket Info ‏@Basketlnfo

Tony Parker et Nando De Colo (tests physiques chez les Spurs) de retour en France vendredi, Nicolas Batum attendu en fin de semaine

Bruno
07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
translation:

Basket Info ‏@Basketlnfo

Tony Parker et Nando De Colo (tests physiques chez les Spurs) de retour en France vendredi, Nicolas Batum attendu en fin de semaine

De Colo in SA to pass his physical.

Bruno
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
You should do a thread in the Spurs forum about it.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
cool, that is what I thought it said, just making sure it wasn't just talking about Parker.

Bruno
09-07-2012, 06:15 PM
A video interview in French of Nando:
http://video.lequipe.fr/video/basket-hand-volley/basket-nba-nando-de-colo-spur-sans-peur/?sig=3dfc0b39fc2s

There isn't a lot to take from it except that he will join SA early next week. He is just waiting to get his visa.

ace3g
09-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Nando De Colo ‏@NandoDeColo

Dans l'avion pour San Antonio ! ;-)

--

On the plane to San Antonio

ace3g
09-22-2012, 11:00 AM

1ère petite séance de shoot à San Antiono... et avec 2 rebondeurs SVP ;-) First shooting practice in San Antonio !!! http://fb.me/1WtI4CbNw

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408821_10151018749201863_656150948_n.jpg

benefactor
09-22-2012, 11:14 AM
It's going to be interesting to watch De Colo develop. He's a really intriguing player from a skill set standpoint. If he can make it work at the NBA level he could wind up a valuable player off the bench. I don't expect him to be an elite player, but I think there is potential for him to be a 20-25 MPG guy if he is able to elevate his game.

lmbebo
09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
looks like someone is using the panorama mode on the iPhone

elemento
09-22-2012, 03:50 PM
To me it's gonna be interesting to find out if Nando plays the point or the 2 in the NBA.

Bruno said he will play as a PG and i trust him, but from what I've watched in the Olympics he looked more like a SG with good passing skills, just like Manu.

Either way, I am excited to see him play as a Spur.

Bruno
09-22-2012, 05:42 PM
De Colo made an interview for a French basketball magazine few days ago. A quick translation of the part about Spurs:

Do you have the feeling to go to the most comfortable franchise for an European player?

Exactly, I do. My choice to sign with them, even if it was too dependent on Spurs choice, has been mainly driven by that. They are a professional franchise that has followed me these last 3 years. They know what I can do and they know how to use me. They have a game that can fit me well. It's up to me to work hard and earn my spot.

It's even more true that there are a lot of competition both at PG and SG. Are you worried about that?
There are, of course, experienced players that are still in place with the team. However, I think that if Spurs have signed me, it's to do something. Up to me to work hard, earn my spot and fit well with the team. They are too a team, that, during the whole season, use theirs depth to start the playoffs fresh. Since they are a team with the championship as a goal, everybody need to be there at a point of the season. It will be then up to me to catch this opportunity. I don't really know how it will happen. For the moment, I haven't played in NBA and I'm even not in the USA. I'm too coming from three years played at a high level. I will obviously come as a rookie but as an experienced one.

Have you been in touch with Pop and some of your new teammates, like, for example, during the Olympics?
I have very briefly with Pop. Before the Olympics, he has called Tony and Tony has given me his phone. I go to San Antonio two weeks before the rest of the team, it will be the time to talk with the whole staff. I have just see some players like Tiago Splitter with who I played few months in Valencia. Manu Ginobili also told me "welcome to the family". They are down to earth people. I think I will like being there.

What do you know about what Spurs are waiting from you?
I had the opportunity to talk with Bret Brown about that. He told me that they knew how to use me. The most important is to know how I can fit with Spurs game. The starting point would be to be more a SG/PG. It will depend with who I'm on the court. It's something that will be solved in SA with the other players like it did in Valencia during these past three years.

On what aspects will you focus to adapt your game to the NBA?
The priority is to learn well Spurs playbook. Even if they have an European style, they are still anchored in the American game. After that, it will depend on little details on which the Americans work and where I will need to be more focused on. It will be up to the staff to teach me that.

And a lot of physical training too?
Yes, it's important but like when I was in Valencia. It's not because I will gain 20 pounds that I will be stronger. The most important is to be well prepared physically to avoid injuries and resist at the impacts. That's the most important. Aside of that, I will have a lot of technical work to do. I will keep working hard. To be with a team where there are a lot of great players will allow me to improve myself.

What do you think about the unchanged Spurs roster?
It's a nice roster. We saw it last year until the conference final. Behind them, the coach (Tony or Boris told it to me) knows how to manage his team. The staff is good. I'm really happy to join them and I hope being able to bring something positive to them.

Have you still arranged the logistic part for your arriving to SA?
I have a contact that helps me to find a house. Toy has offered me to stay at his guest house. I think I will do that the time to find a house.

Tony is the host for French players!
Exactly! He has a lot of space in his house!

It should be OK to get accustomed to the Texas?
Yes, it should. The weather is hot. It speaks some Spanish. It should be fine!

ace3g
09-22-2012, 06:40 PM
So he is going to put on 20 pounds? Hopefully he does it right to gain right combo of speed and strength.

Bruno
09-22-2012, 07:02 PM
So he is going to put on 20 pounds?

Nope, what he said isn't very clear, even in the original french version, but I think he meant that he isn't looking at adding weight because it won't make him automatically a better player. The main goal for him of a good physical training is that it reduces injuries risks.

ace3g
09-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Nope, what he said isn't very clear, even in the original french version, but I think he meant that he isn't looking at adding weight because it won't make him automatically a better player. The main goal for him of a good physical training is that it reduces injuries risks.

ah ok, because on one of those video blogs during the olympics, Nando looked in good shape. He can definitely create some match up problems with his size, against some of the smaller PGs.

ace3g
09-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Nando was on the TP Show:

Some of the transcripts, need translation:

http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/303038/de-colo-a-la-decouverte-des-spurs/

Bruno
09-25-2012, 09:12 AM
He is basically saying the same things than in the interview I've translated a couple of days ago.

ace3g
09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
SS&E Community ‏@SSE_Community

@spurs Nando de Colo surprised Brackenridge High School with the news that they are Team Up semifinalists!! http://pic.twitter.com/gioPncPa

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A30zG_3CUAAHkMK.jpg:large

ace3g
09-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Nando posted this article about him:

http://basketeria.com.br/pt/entrevistas/item/3656-nando-de-colo-mais-um-calouro-mas-n%C3%A3o-um-calouro-qualquer.html

ace3g
10-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Choix du numéro aux Spurs :
Je voulais choisir le 87 par rapport à mon année de naissance mais c'est un trop gros numéro pour l'équipe car ils préfèrent en dessous de 50 ! J'ai pensé au 12 évidemment mais il est retiré (Bruce Bowen) donc j'ai décidé de suivre la logique qui m'avait fait prendre le 22 à Valencia (je suis arrivé à 22 ans à Valencia et à 25 aux Spurs)
Et le 25 me convient bien ;-)
--

Choice of the Spurs number:
I wanted to choose the 87 over my year of birth, but it is too big a number for the team because they prefer below 50! I thought at 12 but obviously it is removed (Bruce Bowen) so I decided to follow the logic that made me take 22 to Valencia (I got to 22 years and 25 to Valencia Spurs)
And 25 suits me;-)

Bruno
10-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Nando gave a little interview for his local newspaper a couple of days ago. The biggest part is about his new life in SA. I'm' not sure if you are interested in that but since I've the time to do it, a quick translation:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/nando-de-colo-c-est-vraiment-un-autre-monde-ia4046b0n733510

About his first steps with Spurs:
I've been able to meet everybody before the start of the training camp. In NBA, the rule is that coaches can watch but can't intervene before October 1st. The particle facility is open for individual training, shooting sessions, games between Spur players and even with other players. Boris explained me everything when he arrived to SA early last week so it was more clear. When you are playing with one of the best big inn the US (Tim Duncan) and one of the best to have played in Europe (Tiago Splitter), you said to yourself that you are in a new world that is a level higher. That's impressing. I didn't really know the American players but there are Tony, Boris, Tiago with who I've played a couple of months during the lockout and Manu Ginobili that I've met in the Olympics. It went well. They are seeing me as a part of the team, nothing outstanding or dramatic. It went smoothly.

A new world:
Even if you are ready for this, when you are there and when everything happens as expected, one realizes it's totally different. The practice facility, with two courts, is open 24hours a day and 7 days a week only for us. When I've left Cholet for Valencia, I've found that 3 physios and 2 assistant coaches was a lot. Here, It's twice more. There are people everywhere, people to take rebounds during a shooting session. You have really the time to work individually while in Europe, it's more focused on the collective game. There are huge facilities here. Everything is made to have players feeling well in the locker room, on and off the court. When you come to the practice facility, You can take your breakfast and eat after the practice. In the locker room, everything is ready. It's true too in Europe but, here, they ask me for my shoe size and I've got snickers immediately because they have ones in stock. It's the first time I go to the practice without a bag. These are a lot of little details that allow you to only be focus on the basketball and that's why I'm really happy to be there.

A new life:
In Europe, everything is in your contract: the car and the house. Here, you have to find them but SA is a special team where everybody is here to help you when you arrive. I have too an agent in SA that works with my agent and me to ease that task. Tony and Boris also introduce me to a real estate broker. I've found a house not to far from the practice facility and I'm waiting for the confirmation. For the moment, Tony has offered me to come at his guest house. He send his bodyguard, Steve, to pick me at the airport. Boris is there too. With my girlfriend, Vero, we try to be very quiet. The life here is quite nice. SA is very big, a town horizontally spread. Roads are big and cars are huge. There are 3,4,5 lanes road in the middle of the town. People are nice, they are closely following Spurs and some of the them recognize me.

His role with Spurs:
To be in the NBA isn't an end. I've still a lot to do to have a spot with the team and an important spot. Until now, the coach has mostly asked me if everything was OK. I have no idea what role I could have because it's a so deep roster with very versatile players. We will see during the camp what they are waiting from me and it will be up to me to work according to that.

The training camp:
With the first meeting, you realize that the serious business is starting. When the coach said "we have the same roster than last year with a new player", here it goes, this new player is you... You arrive and you have to prove your value. I'm not impressed but I'm happy to be with a team that is so professional and with talented players. It will allow me to work hard. We have had too the media day on the practice court. I've started with an interview in French followed by 2.3 in Spanish and 2,3 in English. Picture of us were taken and some videos for the jumbotron. That's professional. It's really something else.

-------------------------

Nando will too do a monthly chronicle for a video blog about his NBA life. It could be interesting.

timvp
10-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the translation :tu

The life here is quite nice. SA is very big, a town horizontally spread. Roads are big and cars are huge. There are 3,4,5 lanes road in the middle of the town. People are nice, they are closely following Spurs and some of the them recognize me. That's pretty much San Antonio in a nutshell :lol

Big P
10-07-2012, 10:13 AM
In just 14 minutes and 36 seconds of his first preseason game with the Spurs, rookie guard Nando De Colo established himself as a fan favorite Saturday with some of the slickest passing seen at the AT&T Center since Manu Ginobili’s rookie season 10 years ago. He also impressed some teammates. According to Stephen Jackson, De Colo is reminiscent of another fan favorite. “Nando,” Jackson said, “is another Manu Ginobili.”

Looking forward to see how Nando integrates with the club. Should be good!

Raven
10-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Seen this guy play a lot of times, I can say there are only a few players in the world that can hit the lights out like him when he's in the mood, however most of the time he misses open shots and turnovers at a sick rate. He's defence isn't terrible and he can still improve, but isn't a big upgrade compared to Neal's and not even close to Green's. Bottom line is, he's very unreliable and will most likely be another choker in the play off since he wont have the time to get hot or whatever.. Bad investment imho, considering he'll sure get playing time at the 2 (not an option at 1).

Raven
10-08-2012, 05:48 AM
In just 14 minutes and 36 seconds of his first preseason game with the Spurs, rookie guard Nando De Colo established himself as a fan favorite Saturday with some of the slickest passing seen at the AT&T Center since Manu Ginobili’s rookie season 10 years ago. He also impressed some teammates. According to Stephen Jackson, De Colo is reminiscent of another fan favorite. “Nando,” Jackson said, “is another Manu Ginobili.”

Looking forward to see how Nando integrates with the club. Should be good!

Yeah, their game is similar, but Manu makes the efficency his strength while nando's is OJ Mayo style.. Maybe Pops can fix his shot a bit to make it more reliable, it would be huge for us.

Axegrinder
10-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Seen this guy play a lot of times, I can say there are only a few players in the world that can hit the lights out like him when he's in the mood, however most of the time he misses open shots and turnovers at a sick rate. He's defence isn't terrible and he can still improve, but isn't a big upgrade compared to Neal's and not even close to Green's. Bottom line is, he's very unreliable and will most likely be another choker in the play off since he wont have the time to get hot or whatever.. Bad investment imho, considering he'll sure get playing time at the 2 (not an option at 1).

Given the investment was only 1.4 mil yr, I don't see it as high risk or anything. NDC could actually surprise a lot of ppl.

xellos88330
10-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Nando definitely looks like he has great court vision. There were at least 3 passes he made to the interior in the half court set that could have easily been dunks/layups. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages close to 5 assists a night. He also seems to have a sneaky athleticism. I'm not expecting another Manu, but I am expecting a player that can break down defenses should pick and rolls be switched all the time (I.E OKC defense on Spurs in the playoffs)

Raven
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Given the investment was only 1.4 mil yr, I don't see it as high risk or anything. NDC could actually surprise a lot of ppl.

Yeah, i didn't mean financially, but in terms of minutes taken from other young players .. Actually his game might translate better into the nba than to fiba basket, since there's so much more transition game.

elemento
10-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Definitely great passer and great court vision, but i don't see a long-term PG. He will definitely be a SG in the NBA that could play some minutes as a PG if required (like Manu for example).

venitian navigator
10-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Of the four possible back ups (him plus Neal, Mills and Joseph) De Colo looked to me like, at the Olimpics at least, the best ball handler and having the best court vision.
And that, imho, is a big plus; looks a little like Manu, in that sense.
Add to that he's already experienced at the international level, he's already developed some chemistry at an high level with two players of the starting five (Parker and Diaw), that he's a decent defender (way better than Neal, probably well better than Mills, at least just 'cause of his 6'5 size) and that he has a more than decent shoot from outside, and that's why I see him as the best final choice for sharing the back up role at point guard.

racm
10-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Well, I think you've all heard about the 9 assists and the game winning basket...

Bruno
10-24-2012, 11:46 PM
A video of a De Colo practice of this summer:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151056804716863

Not bad ;)

Bruno
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Nando will give each month an interview to his local newspaper about his new life. His thoughts for November:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/nando-de-colo-en-nba-j-ai-quand-meme-hate-que-ca-ia4046b0n796421

The start of the season:
After the training camp, it's good to start the season. There is a lot of excitement around this first game among players and fans. I can feel it. People are well informed and tell us "you had to bring back another title". They are used to win it all but the last title was quite a long time ago.

About the first game:
I'm fine about it. We will see how the game will go. During the preseason, I've learned some things. I'm trying to improve on the NBA aspects of the game. But I'm still eager that it starts. Friendly games remain friendly games. You can play a certain amount of time and when the the season start, it's a whole new story. All the players were here last year. I'm the only new player so I have to make one more effort but I'm ready.

His role:
I haven't really talked about it with the coach. Depending on the situation, I will play PG or SG. Nowt of the time in the preseason, I was playing PG. We will see how it will evolve during the season. It's a team that likes to share the ball and I've said to myself when I arrived here that I will fit that role. However, I had to take open shots and not hesitate doing so. That's what assistants coaches told me. Most of the time they are the one giving me Coach's messages.

The "Mini Manu" ?
Compliments are fine. The comparison with Manu Ginobili is flattering but It's behind me and I have to continue to work. I have my own game and he has his owns. Saying that, it's true that there are a lot of resemblances because I've made one or two spectacular passes and some plays a little different that what people are used to see in the NBA. It's a new experience, it's not always easy but, quite frankly, I'm happy with what I've done in the preseason. The coaches, assistants, players are all here to help you. You don't hesitate to ask questions because there is a vocabulary that isn't the same at all than in Europe. It's mostly the case for offensive plays hat aren't called "1", "2", "5" or "jersey" but that are a combination of 3 words for a system. I'm feeling well integrated. Everyone talks with everyone, there are good guys, it's fun.

I don't translate the rest of the interview because it's less interesting. He is just saying how the NBA life is more luxurious than the one in Europe and that he has had his own house for 10 days.

Mel_13
10-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Nando will give each month an interview to his local newspaper about his new life. His thoughts for November:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/nando-de-colo-en-nba-j-ai-quand-meme-hate-que-ca-ia4046b0n796421

Thanks Bruno. These insights from overseas interviews are always appreciated.

timvp
10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the translation. In the herky-jerky Spurs preseason, De Colo did about as well as could have been reasonably expected.

Before too long, I expect Pop to give him a shot in the real rotation.

ace3g
11-07-2012, 04:58 PM
From France with a Family Flair - Nando De Colo
The Spurs rookie from France stood near the baseline, back to the basket, his path to the paint and view of the post obstructed by a defender on his hip.

Somewhere in the back of Nando De Colo’s head, eyes caught a glimpse of a teammate beneath the rim. With his right hand, De Colo threw a sneaky, behind-the-back bounce pass to Derrick Brown.

To the announcing crew -- “Did you see that!” -- it looked like a spectacular, blind assist. To De Colo, it was simple execution. He discerned a teammate in scoring position, guarded by two Houston Rockets, with a third approaching, and delivered a perfect pass. Brown grabbed the ball, spun around a tangle of arms and legs and laid the ball in.

Such plays throughout the preseason added to a growing reputation and begged a question: Where did De Colo learn to pass like that?
It might have been from his dad, Bruno De Colo, a 6-foot-1 point guard with exceptional playmaking skills back in the day. It might have been from his mother, Nicole De Colo, a 6-foot-0 post with superior passing skills. Or it might have been from one of his older sisters, Sandy or Leila De Colo, both first division players in France before they retired and started families.

continue reading:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/121107_rodriguez_decolo

Paranoid Pop
11-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Nice read thanks. It'll be hard to crack the rotation but who knows.

ace3g
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OxPgkY868s&feature=g-all-u

Bruno
12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Nando gave another interview to his local newspaper before the Bucks game:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/de-colo-j-ai-cinq-minutes-par-ci-par-la-en-nba-il-ia213b0n878993

The first part is about the life during a road trip. Nando just noticed the difference between Europe and in the NBA where trips are more luxurious and better managed.

About the Miami game, the starting spot and fine:
The fine surprised me. I'm new in this league, I know fines can happen from everywhere for little details. It looks like you can't remove your three stars for a nationally televised game. It makes rest time damn expensive! On the other hand, you can understand it. People have bought their tickets for the game and the NBA remains a show. Saying that, we manage to play a good game despite the loss with a starless B team. It's nice to get some playing time. I knew it since the day before. I was ready for it. You had to take what we give you. I came here to live a new experience. I've talked a lot about it with my family and with Wassim (his French agent) and I didn't see myself ending my career without having given a try to the NBA experience. I'm there and I'm' living at 100%. I practiced as much as possible because we have a lot of time to work on fundamentals and the individual game.That is great. That's really a good rhythm of improvement and of career.

About the limited playing time:
It's not easy to have little playing time. I've got sometimes 5 minutes, I have to take them and using this opportunity to show I can do things on the court. I knew it wouldn't be easy. The Miami game was nice but I've seen tons of players here that have played a good NBA game. It means nothing. I just had to take advantage to that and continue like that to raise my playing time with the season advancing. The coach said nothing special after it. We had a video session to point some details we lack of focus on because we were in control of the game. Pop is a perfectionist and, in every case, he is in the mindset of working more. But, of course, he told us that he was proud of what we did because Miami is the reigning champion and nobody expected that kind of game.

His game with the Toros:
The coach came to see me just after the Memphis game to tell me "tomorrow, you will play with the D-League team, it' just for a game to make you run a little." We had anyway three days without a game. One of two assistants, with whom I often work on my individual game, also told me it would be a way to take some shots. I talk about it with my American agent and with Wassim. They told me the same thing. I went there, did my things and came back. Had it been for more than one game, I would have been worried because I'm here to earn a place in the NBA and ending in the D-League is hash.

About the NBA game:
Like in Spain, you had to be always focus because every single player can surprise you. The difference here is that all the players are physically gifted. You had to react quickly and you can't play slow. You had to be ready to play and play hard. Even if it's like that in some European leagues, it's here a level higher and I like it. The issue is that I'm doing a lot of passes and, now, I need to be more aggressive in the scoring department and with my shot selection. Once I will do that, it will still be a nice thing done.

About his life in SA:
We start to be well settled. The only issue left is my girlfriend's visa. It's really complicated with quite a lot of forms to fill. Aside of that, life is cool. We are starting to work on Christmas. My sisters are coming with their husbands and children. Our schedule with a 10-12 days home-stand around Christmas allow me to be here at that time. We really had to spend once a year some times with the whole family. And I just got my Texas driving license.

timvp
12-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the find and translation :tu

De Colo REALLY doesn't want to play in the D-League. I think perhaps he doesn't really understand how it wouldn't be a long-term demotion, rather just a way for him to get minutes. Hopefully he plays well enough to avoid ever being sent down but it's definitely a possibility if the Spurs ever get completely healthy and Pop tightens up the rotation.

It's great that he notices that he needs to shoot more. It's much better than Diaw's "meh I'm a facilitator and will shoot when I want to" mindset.

Bruno
12-26-2012, 07:23 AM
A new interview with his local newspaper he gave a couple of days ago:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/nando-de-colo-l-interview-integrale-la-nba-c-est-ia213b0n920419

Nando, after 27 games played including 17 on the road played in less than 2 months, you finally get a little rest?
Since the beginning of the season, it's only the second time we have 2 or 3 days at home like that. We played 6 games last week and still 2 this week. Personally, I'm fine but I'm' not playing 30-35 mpg like some of my teammates. The problem is that we often are on the road where you get more tired. But the coach knows how to manage his team and believes in resting. For him, when you are well rested, you don't need to do 10000 practices before a game to be ready for it. It's a good thing for a team like ours when there isn't only young players and it allows to work hard when there is a practice.

Do you do some extra practices?
Whenever I can, I try to go to the practice facility that is always open. It depends on what I need. When I've played 20+ minutes, I'm going to recover and do a little weight lifting. When I've played less, there are either mandatory practices or I go there to do some shooting and keep the rhythm.

Are you getting used to that high paced life?
Frankly, I am. You had to take the rest time you get and do non-basketball related activities. That's also what the staff wants. They don't want that players are always focused on basketball. Sometimes, they even forbid you to come at the practice facility by saying "tomorrow, it's lockout and nobody can come". It's a franchise that takes care of its players, its staff and, behind that, there is a coach who knows very well how to manage it. He separates basketball and the rest. After games, he is the first to day, if no one knows what to do that there is a bus that goes at some place where you can eat with the staff and players who want it.

Have you still eaten at the same table than coach Pop?
Yes, I have one time. I took the bus thinking going back at the hotel but we were in fact heading to a restaurant. I was there eating with coaches and just Manu as player. I've discovered what they were doing after games. Before that, I was most of the time with Boris, Tony and sometimes french players we were facing.

What did you talk about with your coach?
If there are only 2 or 3 players, we sit at the coaches table, we talk about everything and we a drink a little glass of wine. The coach knows to enjoy good things. It's also the case during travels. He likes when we are in the best travel situations possibles with the best hotels. In LA, we were close to the sea and it seems that we are the only team in the NBA to go at that hotel. It's the coach who wants us not to be downtown and enjoy what's around the hotel. What he really likes is going to good restaurants. We were on time in LA at the same restaurant than him with Boris, Ronny and a french friend. Pop was the one who paid for his table and for ours. That is surprising. You don't expect a coach doing that for his players.

For a month, you have played more. Gregg Popovich made some compliments about you. Are you earning your spot with the team?
Earning my spot is an exaggeration. With this team, you can't say that. They are players that know each other for a long time. There is a hierarchy that will be always respected. What I told to myself is "be ready at every moment". One game, I will play 20 minutes but the next one only 3 minutes and that's how it is. At first, I was more in a role where I was playing for the team but I understood that they also needed that I took some open shots. When I have some playing time and I can play my individual game, I'm doing it. Spurs' roster is deep. There are people at every spot with almost 2 players in front of me at every spot. It's not easy when you are new. But the season is long and the most important are the playoffs because there is only the NBA title in play in this league. It's not like in Spain or in France where they are different titles to play each year.

You could have stayed in Europe with a big team like Madrid or Barcelona. No regrets?
No. My first choice was the NBA. Even if I could earn more money and get, at first, more playing time in Europe, it would have pissed me off to end my career without having tried the NBA. I'm there and I'm happy about it. Of course, it would be even better with a little more playing time but the road is long and so is my career. You have to look beyond this year and look at a whole career. It would also have been nice to play in a big European team whose goals were at least to reach the Spanish league or Euroleague finale. I'm in my rookie year and you can't expect to play 20 minutes every game. If I were in a team like Portland, that plays with 4 players, and I didn't play every game, I could have said to myself that there were a problem. It's not the case with this team.There is nothing to say to himself. There is just to be ready and show what you can do on the court without expecting others to screw it up.

Which teammates are you closer to? The other french players?
I'm often with Boris. We are sitting alongside on the plane where we are always at the same place. He is here to help me on tons of things. If I have an issue, he is the first one to help me, so is Tony. After that, I try to talk a little with everybody when the time is right and without pissing them too.

Do you like your new life?
I do. Everything is going well. There are a lot of details to solve aside of basketball but there are only at most one practice per day so you have time to enjoy your private life. Coaches told you like that: "you practice hard the morning and you enjoy your afternoon to think at something else."

Did you still have a house that big?
No, I don't. It's the first time.

Even if you don't a have big contract for a NBA player, you earn quite a lot of money. Do you realize that? Is it a success?
I earn a little more than in Valencia but I don't think too much at that. I have a financial advisor. After that, if I only need a certain amount per month, I won't necessarily spend more. Now that I have this contract, I have to keep working to get a better one in two years, a big one and we will then maybe do things differently.

But do you buy nice things for yourself?
I'm not saying that I put all the money I get on a saving account without touching it. I bought this house. I rather have a place big enough to welcome the whole family (his three sisters, brother in laws and six niece and nephews arrived last Saturday) than having a flat and put them at a hotel. I bought a car and I wanted a 4X4. However, I remain at a level where you had to take care about your money and don't forget there is a life after the basketball. We will see in ten years. For the moment, I don't to tell to myself "I will buy the next Ferrari"" or all these bullshits. I will do that when I won't have to worry about money for the rest of my life. Now, it's fine, not too much but not little too. Furthermore, we aren't in Valencia or in France. This house could cost Millions in France. The life in SA isn't as expensive as it is in big cities, you can get bigger houses.

Do you still have find places you like to go?
We sometimes go at the Cantera, a big mall with tons of small shops. I went one or two times downtown but I haven't seen Fort Alamo for the moment. Since I'm here, I haven't had the time to settle in. There is always something to do and it's not over. It would be more stable in January. Now, whenever we got outside it's always to do some shopping. During the first three weeks, I was at Tony's house. I went to practice and go back at his house that was a little further to the practice facility to take Vero (his Spanish girlfriend) and do some shopping for our new life here. I've done only that the first month. My car was almost like my house. Since we are here, we got tons of little life details to solve. Since I left my home to go to Cholet (a French city where he played basketball at 15) and without comparing Cholet, Valencia and SA, I'm quite self sufficient. Now, there are Vero's visa issues to solve when she will be back in January but we have some contacts through NBA people about that. She doesn't like to stay there and do nothing so she will have to find an occupation, a class to follow. You just had to be patient.

Do you miss France?
I miss almost nothing. I know that every summer, I will go back there and I enjoy it. For the life in Spain, it's different. I stayed there 3 years and when I sometimes think back at what I've done there, I've said to myself it was the good life. But I will go back there! I follow soccer, Spanish and French basketball leagues on my phone.

Do you do some rookie duties?
There are always donuts before home games for the morning shoot-around. I had to wake up early for that. The shoot-around is at 10am and for me its 8:30am on the court because we have a 20 minutes individual sessions with assistants coaches and, as a rookie, I go first. It's like for the games, I'm here at 5:00pm for a shooting while the game is at 7:30pm. But it's a good rhythm and it doesn't bother me. There are, sometimes, on the road, towels to bring back but, honestly, it's not a lot to do. These are traditions you had to respect and that's how a team works. It's nothing outrageous. When I was with Cholet youth teams, it was a little worse.

Is the NBA still magic?
You know, I'm not easily impressed by all that. It's not magic but , now that I'm in, I realized that it's exceptional. Medias are talking about it in the whole country. The smallest little play on or off the court end up immediately on TV. Teams are doing everything for you to worry only about basketball. I've already said it but it's the first time I go practicing without carrying a bag or even sneakers. I'm surprised each day about some habits. The funny thing is that American people are really expressive. You do a no look pass and it's the assist of the century! They have a different approach of sports than in Europe. A shot that hit three times the rim before going in is because you had a good soft shooter's touch. In France, we'll say to you "eff, you got lucky". These are little details that makes you happy to practice. The show is also their thing. With a game each day, there are everywhere top5 or top10 plays. They are also following very closely other sports, always at 100%. What made me laugh lately was, at OKC, during a timeout, people wearing a disguise in the crowd. They don't care about looking ridiculous, they just come to root for they team, that's nice.

Let's talk about FNT, are you talking about the 2013 Eurobasket with other French players?
Except when we are together with people from the FNT staff like we were a week ago. It's in our head but there is fist the NBA season.

Did you talk with Parker and Diaw about the QF loss against Spain?
No, no, we don't (smile)... We are just waiting for another game against Spain next summer. We were close to win it, we were in control of the game and it's the experience in the clutch that made the difference. During 7 minutes, we couldn't make a FG but it's the past, we have to think about next summer. The most important is that we won a medal two years ago by being ready from the start, focused on our goals. We don't fear anymore to pay against Spain. Before that, there could have a little fear thinking they were better than us. We now know we can beat them. It could make a difference next summer even if they won't be the only to beat.

You were personally frustrated after the QF against Spain?
Yes, I was a lot. FNT is never easy, you always need to be ready to play.

Could a NBA season change you role with the FNT?
I hope so. Every year, I hope it can change. It''s never easy, I don't know at all what will be my role with the NT. I'm still learning here a lot on my individual game, my shoot, the offensive game. Defensively, being on the court help me to work because our game is very structured.

Libri
12-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Very interesting interview. Thanks for translation.

CGD
12-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Cool little insights in that interview. These foreign interveiws always seem to be more candid than those for US consumption.

Mel_13
12-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Bruno. Nando does appear to have the proper perspective for long term success.

objective
12-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Bruno

Will Nando, Parker and Diaw become tax exiles to avoid the France super tax? If they do, do they get kicked off the NT?

It's possible Nando might not even qualify I guess, but Parker must be getting destroyed with Blair-sized take home pay.

Mel_13
12-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Bruno

Will Nando, Parker and Diaw become tax exiles to avoid the France super tax? If they do, do they get kicked off the NT?

It's possible Nando might not even qualify I guess, but Parker must be getting destroyed with Blair-sized take home pay.

Tony is an American citizen. I didn't know that until a recent interview that I believe was posted here on ST. Can't find it right now.

CGD
12-26-2012, 07:19 PM
In any event, we have tax treaties with many countries which aim to reduce the issue of duplicative taxation. Highly unlikely that our foreign players pay BOTH foreign and US taxes.

Bruno
12-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Bruno

A french citizen, living outside of France and whose income isn't related to France, doesn't pay french taxes. Parker, Diaw and De Colo will only pay US taxes on their NBA salary. They will respecting french laws by doing so, so they won't be sanctioned in any way.

I don't fully know french tax rules about that but they might have to pay french taxes for their activities in France like advertising contracts.

objective
12-26-2012, 08:39 PM
thanks

so any money that the Parker makes from his cartoons or French league team would be subject, but not nba.

Bruno
12-26-2012, 09:20 PM
thanks

so any money that the Parker makes from his cartoons or French league team would be subject, but not nba.

What I'm sure is that french NBA players don't pay french taxes on their NBA salaries.

I don't know where Parker pay his taxes for his cartoon and advertising incomes. I'm not a taxes expert and as Mel_13 said, Parker is also a US citizen.

Dr. Robert Lee
12-27-2012, 02:16 AM
I didn't know Tony was a US citizen. Interesting.

CGD
12-27-2012, 02:23 AM
Under US tax law income is income no matter where it is derived so TP is subject to tax liability on his foreign income (ads, cartoons,etc). Because of US tax reciprocity treaties with many countries however, it's very unlikely that the French based income would be taxed twice (that is, in France as well as US).

Also Citizenship is irrelevant as far as US taxation goes. Undocumented individuals rsiding and working in the US, for example, must still file tax returns (and many do).

CGD
12-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Isn't TP's dad a US citizen? He probably acquired it at birth then.

Bruno
12-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Pop gave a little interview about Nando for his local newspaper:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/gregg-popovich-nando-a-le-sens-du-jeu-jna0b0n930481

What do you think about Nando, on and off the court?
The most important is that he has the sense of the game, he really understands it. A lot of players are only skilled athletes but he has the understanding of the game. He sees things than a lot of others don't see and that's why he is a good passer for the moment. He really plays well with his teammates. And he is working hard, he is a hard worker. He came early and left late practices. He is currently improving his jumpshot. He is someone very pleasant
because he is smart and is always in a steady mood. His teammates really likes him. He is shy so I've sometimes to work hard to make him laugh!

Did you expect to have him immediately at that level?
NBA newcomers react differently depending on their surrounding, their social background. We never know how it will go. But Nando is so experienced, he has played a lot in Spain for a good team with good coaches, that he hasn't been intimidated at all. He has shown no anxiety signs. He was surely a little nervous but he just came and do a good work. He is getting better and we are really happy about him.

Can he become an important player in your rotation?
Of course, he can. Right now, he is Tony Parker primary backup. He is also playing both PG and SG in some games. He is getting more and more comfortable. He is facing players he doesn't know and who are mostly more athletic than him. Defensively, he must be more clever than them. He is learning that.

What must he improve?
His shot, being able to shot 3 pointers. He is working hard on that and is improving. Defensively, he must become more consistent.

Libri
12-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Spread the floor and he'll get playing time.

Bruno
01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Nando had an interview with a french newspaper today.

The most interesting part:

What conclusions do you draw after 3 and a half months in NBA?
I'm feeling fine in it. I'm now used to Spurs' daily schedule and their practices that are mostly individual ones. I'm working with two assistants coaches every day and I'm getting better week after week. Being a rookie under Gregg Popovich isn't easy but you can still get a little playing time.

Being patient, is it something that can be learned?
It isn't easy. I won't be waiting 5 years but that's just the beginning, it's a discovery year in a high level team.

The other french rookie, Evan Fournier, is in a much worse situation In Denver...
He is but Even is coming from Poitiers (bad team of the very average french league). He is the young player that has no European experience. I'm in a different situation. Spurs asked me to get more experiences during 3 years. Starting here from scratch, it's tough.. But I can only look forwards.

Are you better now that you were 6 months ago?
I hope so! I think I've learned quite a lot of things. Yes, I got better.

The rest of the interview is about how Diaw and to a lesser degree Parker are helping him. Nando is also saying he likes playing alongside Parker and sharing the ball like they did in the Boston game.

Mel_13
01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Nando had an interview with a french newspaper today.

The most interesting part:

What conclusions do you draw after 3 and a half months in NBA?
I'm feeling fine in it. I'm now used to Spurs' daily schedule and their practices that are mostly individual ones. I'm working with two assistants coaches every day and I'm getting better week after week. Being a rookie under Gregg Popovich isn't easy but you can still get a little playing time.

Being patient, is it something that can be learned?
It isn't easy. I won't be waiting 5 years but that's just the beginning, it's a discovery year in a high level team.

The other french rookie, Evan Fournier, is in a much worse situation In Denver...
He is but Even is coming from Poitiers (bad team of the very average french league). He is the young player that has no European experience. I'm in a different situation. Spurs asked me to get more experiences during 3 years. Starting here from scratch, it's tough.. But I can only look forwards.

Are you better now that you were 6 months ago?
I hope so! I think I've learned quite a lot of things. Yes, I got better.

The rest of the interview is about how Diaw and to a lesser degree Parker are helping him. Nando is also saying he likes playing alongside Parker and sharing the ball like they did in the Boston game.

Thanks, Bruno.

Care to share a few thoughts about Nando's state of mind?

A professional athlete will always be disappointed to some extent if his opportunities to play are limited. That's understandable.

My questions would relate to his expectations for this season at the moment he decided to go to the NBA. When I look at the seven guards on the Spurs (TP, Manu, Green, Neal, Mills, Joseph, and Nando), it seems reasonable to me that Nando began training camp as the 6th guard on that list ahead of only Joseph. So it also seems reasonable to me that Nando should have expected that his playing opportunities this season would be quite limited.

Based on what you know about Nando, what expectations for playing time this season do you believe he had at the moment he signed with Spurs? I expect that he hoped for much more, but do you believe that he expected much more?

Paranoid Pop
01-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Every guard not named TP Manu and Green has to be frustrated anyway, to me it's crazy that Green is in that list but whatever. The guards situation is a mess, they comitted to too many guards and Pop doesn't know what to do with them so he has Gary Neal playing for his coorporate knowledge and because he's too good not to play, but he plays him out of position so it's counter productive and the results are bad, there's not sugarcoating it...

De Colo could be a good backup SG paired with Mills for instance, he's the perfect backup for Manu, it doesn't get any closer than that skillset wise... Mills and De Colo are the best lite versions of TP and Manu you can probably find out there.

Joseph still a D leaguer must be frustrated as hell as well when he has better handles and D than any of the PGs on the roster baring TP...

Anyway they better unload some guards or we're looking at 1/ a bad compromise on the floor 2/ chemistry issues waiting to happen and 3 / Pop hesitating thus failing to develop a competent backup backcourt.

When are we playing the Clippers next, Neal Manu are gonna make Bledsoe look like a living god again...

Paranoid Pop
01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Neal-Manu vs Bledsoe is the guard equivalent of Blair vs Bynum last year...

Bruno
01-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Bruno.

Care to share a few thoughts about Nando's state of mind?
[...]
Based on what you know about Nando, what expectations for playing time this season do you believe he had at the moment he signed with Spurs? I expect that he hoped for much more, but do you believe that he expected much more?

There were another interview where Nando's few days ago where he talked more specifically about it:
http://www.cholet.maville.com/sport/detail_-Nando-De-Colo-veut-gagner-du-temps-de-jeu_52725-2273132_actu.Htm

Your role doesn't seem well defined, do you play so little because of that?
The team is very deep and there is a true hierarchy. For example, the backup PG behind Tony Parker will be Gary Neal even if he isn't a true PG. Most of the time, I'm also playing PG so I had to make my mind that it's my role and that I had to be a playmaker, be ready and follow the consigns. The backup PG role, that's something that I can do. Coach pop has a well oiled system both offensively and defensively. Him and the three stars are playing together for 10 years like the rest of the staff, so it takes time to change things. It's tough but my goal is for sure to earn more playing time.

Were you expecting so much competition by coming in the NBA?
I knew that I had to find a role and that the first year wouldn't be easy. I was quite sure there would have a hierarchy but I didn't think the team would be so deep. However, it was the year to join Spurs. They wnated to sign me and I wanted to try the NBA experiment.

My thoughts on that:
- Nando has always been an ambitious player. It has edges and drawbacks. In the past, he hasn't been happy with the limited role he had with the French national team or with some coaches in Spain.
- He agreed to sign with Spurs in June. At that time, only Parker, Ginobili and Neal were planed to be with the team. Joseph was also under contract for 2012-2013 but he was a disaster at that point.
- I think Nando is giving him a 2 years window to make it in the NBA. Even if he doesn't like it, he is somewhat accepting with not playing a lot this season but it won't be the case next year. If he isn't in the rotation next season with 15-20mpg next season, he will just go back in Europe at the end of his contract with Spurs.
- More globally, and I've said it for months, Spurs have created a big logjam at PG/SG and it's bad. It reminds me the 09-10 logjam at SG/SF with Hill, Ginobili, Mason, Bogans, Finley and Jefferson. In 09-10, this situation ended pretty badly.

Mel_13
01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Bruno.

My overall impression of Nando has been of a player with the right attitude to succeed over the long term. It is reasonable for him to expect a change in his situation next season, either an expanded role or a new team.

timvp
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Truthfully, you want your point guard to be a cocky a$$hole. Show me a meek point guard and I'll show you an unsuccessful point guard. Every great point guard has been overconfident and arrogant. It's a damn tough position and one that will swallow up anyone who doesn't truly believe that he belongs. With that in mind, I like it that De Colo seems to have some hardheadedness about him. If he was blissfully happy sitting on the end of the bench, I'd question whether he could make it.

RodNIc91
01-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Truthfully, you want your point guard to be a cocky a$$hole. Show me a meek point guard and I'll show you an unsuccessful point guard. Every great point guard has been overconfident and arrogant. It's a damn tough position and one that will swallow up anyone who doesn't truly believe that he belongs. With that in mind, I like it that De Colo seems to have some hardheadedness about him. If he was blissfully happy sitting on the end of the bench, I'd question whether he could make it.

As far as THE greatest PG's the game has ever had Im totally with you but today ,for instance, Jose Calderón doesnt fit quite that mold. He is quite confident indeed but I dont see him as a cocky player yet I believe he is one of the most underrated PG'S in the game today.

Bruno
03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Nando gave an interview to his local newspaper:

About his D-League game and the game against Cleveland:
When shots are going in, it's immediately easier. You had to get into your rhythm. I'm saying that since the start of the season: I had to stay ready and be aggressive as soon as I'm on the court. There are some difficult moments, but it can change at every second. The coach can put you in at any time. Regarding the game with the Austin Toros, you had to take it positively when it happens and see it as an additional practice. But for a month, I'm feeling better with my shot.

About not playing despite Parker injury:
Pop wanted to see what Cory Jospeh, who was playing well in D-league, could do. He was recalled and immediately put in the starting unit. I've talked about that with some assistant coaches. They told me that Pop wanted to test everybody with the playoffs in mind. At that stage of the season, we are really working on the playoffs and the only goal is to win it all. But, of course, when a player at your position got injured, you expect more playing time and responsibilities... It happened to me for some games earlier this season where Tony didn't play. This time, it went differentely... You had to stay positive, keep your head up and stay ready. After that, I'm felling that I'm getting better. I'm working on my fundamentals even if there isn't the playing time I hope for. It's isn't easy but I keep working and I'm not someone that will feel sorry for himself. When you give up, when you lose your focus, it's getting worse.

About the playoffs being in sight:
Even if you only look at the coaching level, you feel that playoffs are quickly coming. Every day, the coach reminds us that we have played 3/4 of the season at a very good rhythm and it's not the moment to let it go, especially on the defensive end where we reached the top 5. Defense will be what will allow us to advance in the playoffs. He warned us about that. Fe has been with the team for 17 years and he knows what could happen in the playoffs.. We have to keep the first seed to get home court advantage.

ace3g
03-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Do you think Nando broke through the rookie wall with that performance against the Cavs; especially getting his 3s to fall?

loveforthegame
03-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I hope so.

I was most impressed with his defense in the GS game last night. He really made Jack work and messed up his rhythm a bit. Liked the from behind steals for easy baskets too.

Would be nice to see him peak at the right time.

Bruno
04-04-2013, 06:13 AM
An interview he gave to a Spanish website:
http://www.zonadostres.com/nando-de-colo-se-que-puedo-hacer-mucho-mas-pero-hay-que-ser-paciente/

The English version is at the bottom of the page.

Bruno
05-22-2013, 04:31 PM
An interview, he gave today to his local newspaper:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/nba-nando-de-colo-on-est-la-ou-on-veut-etre-ia213b0n1268755

The last question is by far the most interesting:

You are now not playing at all, how do you fell about it?
It's really not easy even more than I was playing for the month before the playoffs. I had 10-15mpg behind Tony. In a way, it piss me off. I've asked an assistant coach if I would be in a suit for the whole series. He told me that I will for the moment but that it could change after every game... These are more the kind of things said to keep you focused. You had to go through that, that's just how it is. After that, it's a coaching decision. As long as you keep winning, there isn't a lot to say about it. We are on the right path, so... I keep working on my side.

Chinook
05-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Interesting indeed. De Colo may be the draft-day trade bait instead of Mills. It's one thing for the Spurs to keep an unhappy player for the rest of the season; it's another for them to go into the season with an unhappy player. I doubt he's causing any sort of distraction, but I could see them parting ways with him if he still hasn't bought in (really, not just in a politically correct way).

DrunkTXLabrat
05-22-2013, 08:14 PM
i hope he keeps a positive attitude. i think he's a perfect offensive compliment for tiago.

Bruno
05-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Interesting indeed. De Colo may be the draft-day trade bait instead of Mills. It's one thing for the Spurs to keep an unhappy player for the rest of the season; it's another for them to go into the season with an unhappy player. I doubt he's causing any sort of distraction, but I could see them parting ways with him if he still hasn't bought in (really, not just in a politically correct way).

I see nothing wrong with what De Colo is saying. He is just an ambitious player who wants to play more.

Pop and De Colo will likely have a talk during his end of the season exit interview. They should discuss what his role will be next season and if he isn't fine with it, he should be either traded or freed of his contract to go back in Spain.

If Spurs and Pop want it, they can give him a true significant role for next season and go with a Parker, Joseph, De Colo, Green, Ginobili and Leonard perimeter rotation.

Chinook
05-22-2013, 11:59 PM
I see nothing wrong with what De Colo is saying. He is just an ambitious player who wants to play more.

Pop and De Colo will likely have a talk during his end of the season exit interview. They should discuss what his role will be next season and if he isn't fine with it, he should be either traded or freed of his contract to go back in Spain.

If Spurs and Pop want it, they can give him a true significant role for next season and go with a Parker, Joseph, De Colo, Green, Ginobili and Leonard perimeter rotation.

I agree De Colo has a place with the Spurs if everyone wants to make it work. The fifth guard for the Spurs actually gets a lot of minutes, even in the playoffs. De Colo developing a better offensive game could make him really dangerous in Neal's role. I don't know much about De Colo outside of some interviews you've posted and some other articles from this season, so I won't pretend to know his mentality.

If you think he's likely to accept a fifth-guard role without becoming a distraction, I'll defer to your judgment. But whereas we see Mills act genuinely excited about other's success, I don't get that same feeling from De Colo. Maybe Nando is just competitive and brutally honest like Parker. I just don't feel all too confident about that interpretation right now.

Bruno
05-23-2013, 12:34 AM
If you think he's likely to accept a fifth-guard role without becoming a distraction, I'll defer to your judgment.

Well, the size of the "fifth-guard" role will depends on what Spurs will do at the backup SF slot. If Spurs go with Manu at as backup SF, like they are doing in these playoffs, this fifth guard will play a lot. If Spurs sign a quality full-time backup SF, the fifth guard will be out of the rotation when everybody is healthy. Spurs playing some small ball with Kawhi at the PF slot should also open more minutes for the fifth guard.

Chinook
05-23-2013, 12:43 AM
I actually wouldn't mind the idea of letting Ginobili be the primary option to back up Leonard or Green and let De Colo and Bertans compete for the final perimeter rotation spot. If De Colo wins, Ginobili plays the three, but if Bertans wins, Ginobili stays at the two. If Nando loses two competitions in the same off-season (I think he'll get at least one more try against Joseph), he shouldn't have much to complain about.