PDA

View Full Version : Former Spur: Nando De Colo

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bruno
03-08-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.sport24.com/var/plain_site/storage/images/basket-nba/actualites/de-colo-rejoint-valence-280096/4905185-1-fre-FR/De-Colo-rejoint-Valence_actus.jpg
Born: Jun 23, 1987
Height: 6-5 / 1.96
Weight: 200 lbs. / 90.7 kg.

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nando_de_colo/career_stats.html)

AFBlue
03-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I want to know what it'll take to get this kid over ($$) next year as a Mason replacement. And I'd like to know just how likely that scenario is.

Any insights from Bruno or the international ST community?

Bruno
03-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Nando is under contract with Valencia next year but his contract is said to have a buyout clause for the NBA. I don't know the amount of this buyout but it should be reasonable (in the $500K area).

A guaranteed minimum contract should be enough to get him. Maybe a second year guaranteed will be needed but Nando is a cheap option.

And I don't think Nando will be a Spur next year and it would be a Spurs' FO choice. They will decide to let him grow in Europe for at least one more year.

yavozerb
03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I think next season after signing Manu (which I think will happen) the spurs will be in even more of a cost cutting salary mode. If they can sign this kid for cheap, they may just try and bring him over. But yes, I do agree that another year for this kid in Europe would be the best route.

AFBlue
03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Nando is under contract with Valencia next year but his contract is said to have a buyout clause for the NBA. I don't know the amount of this buyout but it should be reasonable (in the $500K area).

A guaranteed minimum contract should be enough to get him. Maybe a second year guaranteed will be needed but Nando is a cheap option.

And I don't think Nando will be a Spur next year and it would be a Spurs' FO choice. They will decide to let him grow in Europe for at least one more year.

Thanks Bruno.

I just saw the departure of Finley and likely departure of Mason as an opportunity to bring over Nando as a backcourt option. But, I trust that you know alot more about how ready Nando is for the NBA than I do.

Bruno
03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
I just saw the departure of Finley and likely departure of Mason as an opportunity to bring over Nando as a backcourt option. But, I trust that you know alot more about how ready Nando is for the NBA than I do.

In a recent interview, Claudio Crippa (Spurs european scout) said that Nando will likely stay another year in Europe. It seems that Spurs evaluation is that he isn't ready for the NBA.

Nando is a great situation in Valencia for his development. His coach (Neven Spahija) trust him a lot and gives him a lot of playing time. He is also a good friend of pop which help the situation with Spurs.

AFBlue
03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
In a recent interview, Claudio Crippa (Spurs european scout) said that Nando will likely stay another year in Europe. It seems that Spurs evaluation is that he isn't ready for the NBA.

Nando is a great situation in Valencia for his development. His coach (Neven Spahija) trust him a lot and gives him a lot of playing time. He is also a good friend of pop which help the situation with Spurs.

Thanks for the info. Is he still primarily playing the PG position for his team, or has he shifted off the ball?

I recall you saying that his long-term position in the NBA would be as a SG...so that's why I ask.

Bruno
03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the info. Is he still primarily playing the PG position for his team, or has he shifted off the ball?

I recall you saying that his long-term position in the NBA would be as a SG...so that's why I ask.

He is almost only playing PG with Valencia.
Saying that, it isn't a bad thing for his development because it allows him to have a lot the ball in his hands.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 03:33 PM
even if the spurs are salary cutting next season, they still need to fill the roster anyway..so i dont see why they cant bring him over when the guys 11-15 on the roster are usually on minimum contracts who dont even get muct court time anway...

why not bring him over and learn the system to start that 2yr jax program

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
He is almost only playing PG with Valencia.
Saying that, it isn't a bad thing for his development because it allows him to have a lot the ball in his hands.

I agree, his handling needed (and needs) work. He'll never be a PG, but he can make plays and is unselfish. With a better handling and more control he's a guy you can use to absorb some playmaking duties with little risk.

He's probably going to be too much of a defensive liability in the NBA though, even guarding slower wings.

Good player, strong intangibles and knows how to put the ball in the basket, I like him. it allows him to have a lot the ball in his hands.

Brazil
03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
meanwhile mavs are playing Rodrigues....

Bruno
03-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Nando has made some spectacular actions today:

EQpFwWof5t8

Brazil
03-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Nando has made some spectacular actions today:

EQpFwWof5t8

Thanks for posting this Bruno ! nice highlights, Nando can shoot the 3 !

mountainballer
04-07-2010, 12:06 PM
short update.
De Colo continued his good play in the last games and crowned it by a fantastic game last Sunday. 27 points on 9-11 FG (4-5 3s).
ok, Murcia are like the Nets of the ACB, but beating the Nets on their homecourt also isn't something every team is capable of.

Bruno
04-07-2010, 05:49 PM
short update.
De Colo continued his good play in the last games and crowned it by a fantastic game last Sunday. 27 points on 9-11 FG (4-5 3s).
ok, Murcia are like the Nets of the ACB, but beating the Nets on their homecourt also isn't something every team is capable of.

Yes, he was great in that game.

BTW, a little reminder for people that have missed it:
You can watch for free Spanish league games on their website. About 50% of the games are streamed in live and also can be re-watched. If you want to see more of De Colo and Splitter than highlights, it's a great way to do so.

For example, De Colo last game against Murcia:
http://acb360.orange.es/diferidos/LACB/54/246

mountainballer
04-08-2010, 03:45 AM
I always thought Nando won't be a possibility for 2010 and that 2011 (when his contract with Valencia has expired) will be the right time.
now I do think the Spurs should think hard about bringing him in this summer.
(if he in fact has only a 500K buy out). I'm really very impressed how mature and confident his game looks. and athletically he is what he is. I don't think he will improve much in this department. (maybe bulk up a bit, 5-10lbs wouldn't hurt).
Valencia is a pretty good team and Nando looks as if he has been leading this team for years and played in the ACB for years. none would guess he is a rookie in that league. and that's IMO the biggest point for him. obviously he can adjust to a new situation immediately and fill exactly the role his coach wants him to play.
another reason to bring him 2010 could be financially. if Nando plays another season like that (or even better), he will get big offers in Spain. (or somewhere else in Europe). Spurs will have to replace Mason anyhow and I can see Nando provide much of what Mason did. (I can see him even be better in the role, that Pop tried to give Mason last season. his ability to occasionally run the point should be much better). he could be a cheap replacement for Mason. (even if the Spurs pay the buy out).

btw. defense. he will struggle, no doubt. but I can't see a reason why he shouldn't be able to provide on defense what Redick does and Redick's defense is good enough to allow him to play a significant role for one of the best teams. (this doesn't mean Redick is a good comparison overall. just on defense)

btw. Valencia. really a good team that can put impressive size on the floor (even for NBA standards) with Perovic, Claver, Lishchuk and Nielsen. but I'm a bit disappointed about Claver this season. I thought he will break out this year, but he still doesn't look as good as last season (before the injury). plays to passive for stretches IMO.

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
If De Colo possesses Reddick's tenacity and discipline on the defensive end he has yet to show it. Reddick is even above average defending guys off-the-ball, chasing people around screens, playing ball denial chest-to-chest. He's very active with his hands, has great awareness, doesn't make mistakes. Maybe it's possible De Colo's intensity and work rate explode (not right now, but with a much smaller offensive role in the NBA), but I wouldn't count on it.

Agreed about Claver, he's yet to recover his pre-injury form.

yavozerb
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
If De Colo possesses Reddick's tenacity and discipline on the defensive end he has yet to show it. Reddick is even above average defending guys off-the-ball, chasing people around screens, playing ball denial chest-to-chest. He's very active with his hands, has great awareness, doesn't make mistakes. Maybe it's possible De Colo's intensity and work rate explode (not right now, but with a much smaller offensive role in the NBA), but I wouldn't count on it.

Agreed about Claver, he's yet to recover his pre-injury form.

Reddick has gotten much more aggressive since his rookie year..Its all about nba experience and seeing what a player has to do to succeed to stay with your man and play average defense (cause both these guys main asset is scoring). De colo will be really soft I think when he start his nba career and hopefully like reddick he will get better on D with experience. I do disagree about reddick being an above average defender though, he can stay with his man with some help, but in no way is he above average.

AFBlue
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I always thought Nando won't be a possibility for 2010 and that 2011 (when his contract with Valencia has expired) will be the right time.
now I do think the Spurs should think hard about bringing him in this summer.
(if he in fact has only a 500K buy out). I'm really very impressed how mature and confident his game looks. and athletically he is what he is. I don't think he will improve much in this department. (maybe bulk up a bit, 5-10lbs wouldn't hurt).
Valencia is a pretty good team and Nando looks as if he has been leading this team for years and played in the ACB for years. none would guess he is a rookie in that league. and that's IMO the biggest point for him. obviously he can adjust to a new situation immediately and fill exactly the role his coach wants him to play.
another reason to bring him 2010 could be financially. if Nando plays another season like that (or even better), he will get big offers in Spain. (or somewhere else in Europe). Spurs will have to replace Mason anyhow and I can see Nando provide much of what Mason did. (I can see him even be better in the role, that Pop tried to give Mason last season. his ability to occasionally run the point should be much better). he could be a cheap replacement for Mason. (even if the Spurs pay the buy out).

The fact that he's been playing well is good news. With as much roster turnover as is to be expected in the off-season (only Big 3 + RJ on guaranteed contracts), Nando could be another cheap young option to help fill out the roster.

I like the comments about his shooting ability and intangibles...sounds very Spur-like. I'll be excited to see how this situation develops in the off-season.

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Reddick has gotten much more aggressive since his rookie year..Its all about nba experience and seeing what a player has to do to succeed to stay with your man and play average defense (cause both these guys main asset is scoring). De colo will be really soft I think when he start his nba career and hopefully like reddick he will get better on D with experience. I do disagree about reddick being an above average defender though, he can stay with his man with some help, but in no way is he above average.

He's an above average off-the-ball defender; he's below average if isolated in the wing, for example.

Bruno
04-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Finley is gone. Mason should left the team this summer. If Spurs sign Splitter, Bonner will either be gone or play a more limited role. As a result, Spurs will badly need to add some outside shooting this summer.

Spurs also don't have a player to fix this lack of shooting in their roster. Temple, Gee and Hairston aren't good shooters. Jerrels is a better one but he seems to be a not that good prospect. They will need to add player(s) that are good shooters. Nando isn't a that bad solution even if Spurs have other ones like their first round pick or via free agency.

In ten days, Valencia will play the Eurocup final four and the result of it could be a big factor in Spurs' choice to bring or not Nando this summer. If Valencia win the Eurocup, they will be qualified for next year Euroleague. It could convince Spurs to let Nando one more year in Europe where he will play high level games.

pad300
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Assuming next year, where the heck does he fit? He can't play SF at the NBA level (IMO), which leaves 6 roster spots between PG and SG.
We have 2 good PGs - Parker, Hill
We have 1 good SG - Manu
3 of 6 spots guaranteed.
We have the following non guaranteed:
PGs- Jerrels
PG/SG - Temple
SG - Hairston, Gee

That's 7 bodies competing for 6 spots, without Nando. While I expect them to try and use a couple of those non-guaranteed contracts as trade chips, there isn't a lot of room left, particularly as we might see a SG from the draft (eg. Draftexpress has us drafting James Anderson, a SG). I am not sure I see a lot of room for Nando to join the club next year...

yavozerb
04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Ya, I dont see nando here next season as well...I have not seen Gee play much, but I dont see the spurs picking up both guys. I would think Gee and hairston compete for 1 spot and jerrels at this point is not needed if temple continues doing well as the 3rd pg.

mountainballer
04-08-2010, 05:42 PM
he would fit pretty nice when Mason is gone. as you counted, there are only 3 guards under contract for next season. Spurs will need at least 5.
he wouldn't come in to play a top 8 role in the rotation anyhow. he could find minutes as 3rd PG and as 3rd SG, maybe 15 MPG overall. if he shoots the 3 well, this would still be a helpful addition, especially if the price is low.

AFBlue
04-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Assuming next year, where the heck does he fit? He can't play SF at the NBA level (IMO), which leaves 6 roster spots between PG and SG.
We have 2 good PGs - Parker, Hill
We have 1 good SG - Manu
3 of 6 spots guaranteed.
We have the following non guaranteed:
PGs- Jerrels
PG/SG - Temple
SG - Hairston, Gee

That's 7 bodies competing for 6 spots, without Nando. While I expect them to try and use a couple of those non-guaranteed contracts as trade chips, there isn't a lot of room left, particularly as we might see a SG from the draft (eg. Draftexpress has us drafting James Anderson, a SG). I am not sure I see a lot of room for Nando to join the club next year...

Non-guaranteed means just that...no guarantee any of those players will be on the Spurs roster next year.

And IMO, the only one of those players that plays the same position as Nando is Temple. Also, while he has shown some flashes and athletic ability, I think you'd have to say Nando is probably the better offensive player at this point.

Either way, the point is that Nando makes a lot of sense as a cheap candidate to replace Mason and there seems to be enough room on the roster to accommodate.

pad300
04-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Non-guaranteed means just that...no guarantee any of those players will be on the Spurs roster next year.

And IMO, the only one of those players that plays the same position as Nando is Temple. Also, while he has shown some flashes and athletic ability, I think you'd have to say Nando is probably the better offensive player at this point.

Either way, the point is that Nando makes a lot of sense as a cheap candidate to replace Mason and there seems to be enough room on the roster to accommodate.

4 non-guaranteed perhaps. But each of those four has a leg up on Nando with respect to learning the system, and doesn't have to worry about cultural acclimation (unlike a Euro coming over for the 1st time...). I can easily see us keeping 2 (Temple & Hairston have already made a decent first impression) of the non-guaranteed... And Nando also has to compete with vet min FA's, and possibly even a LLE signing, as well as 2 draft picks.

Big P
04-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the updates.:toast

Bruno
04-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Hairston and Gee are SG/SF. If one is kept and enter in the rotation next year, there is a good chance it will be as backup SF behind RJ.

BTW,
Good news: Nando is in the all-Eurocup first team:
http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/home/news/i/69803/3735
Bad news: he sprained his ankle in practice and could miss the final 4.
http://www.europapress.es/deportes/baloncesto-00163/noticia-baloncesto-spahija-power-electronics-bilbao-equipo-fuerte-capaz-ganar-madrid-unicaja-casa-20100409131726.html

mountainballer
04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
nice honor for Nando.
(btw. he is the by far youngest of the awarded players)

TimmehC
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Is extending a BAE(LLE) offer to Nando this offseason completely crazy? Even if he spent the part of next season with the Toros, I'd love to have him "in the system", so to speak.

AFBlue
04-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Is extending a BAE(LLE) offer to Nando this offseason completely crazy? Even if he spent the part of next season with the Toros, I'd love to have him "in the system", so to speak.

If Nando comes over he might not see much court time in the first year, but I doubt he gets sent down to the d-league. If the Spurs bring him over it's because they've determined he is ready to play in the NBA and has a role (even small) on the team.

yavozerb
04-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Looks like another good game from nando (20 pts)...

Valencia BC advanced to EuroCup Finals after they outplayed Panellinios at the Fernando Buesa Arena in Vitoria. The Spanish outfit had great first half and couple of players in a game mood tonight. Nando De Colo (202-G-87) was the leading one with 20 points (5 triples). Matt Nielsen (208-F/C-78) helped with 16 points and 6 assists, while Thomas Kelati (195-G/F-82, college: Washington St.) added 14 pts in this victory. Kosta Perovic (7 rebs) and Rafael Martinez had with 13 points each. In the loosing squad, Devin Smith (196-G/F-81, college: Virginia) shined with 29 points and 5 boards. Roderick Blakney (181-G-76, college: S.Carolina St.) had 15 pts and 7 assists.
Panellinios opened the game better taking 10-15 lead, but Valencia quickly replied after that. Rafa Martinez and Nando De Colo helped their team to make 7-2 run and for rest of the first quarter Valencia managed to grab 28-22 lead. Thomas Kelati closed this period with two free throws. Valencia continued in the same rhythm after that. Serhiy Lishchuk (210-C/F-82, agency: Beo Basket) and Kelati shined for the Spanish squad helping it to create 8-0 run for the first double-digit lead in this game, 39-27. Panellinios didnt panic and through Papamakarios, Devin Smith and Vougioukas closed the gap to 39-34. Marko Marinovic (183-G-83) stepped up for Valencia with a triple and Nando De Colo added a lay-up. Soon after that, Marko Marinovic made another bomb and De Colo drained his fifth triple in as many attempts for a 53-39 Valencia margin at halftime. Panellinios came to 53-44 at the beginning of third period and later they cut the margin to 61-51. However, Perovic replied with free throws and Kelati joined him for with jumper and a triple for plus 15, 68-53. Later, actually with one quarter to go, Valencia was 71-58 up. With four minutes left in the game Panellinios threatened as they came to 75-69 and Valencia called a time out. Martinez scored a lay up after that and Smith replied with free throws. Matt Nielsen drained a triple and Blackey matched it from behind the arc. Than, the Australian PF drained another three to seal the victory of his team and to give them a chance to fight for the EuroCup title. by eurobasket news.

kobyz
04-18-2010, 06:04 AM
our third PG for next season and a replacement for Mason?!?

Mr. Body
04-18-2010, 06:45 AM
It's great to see him do so well, but isn't it hard to imagine the Spurs carrying three rookies next year? We can anticipate Splitter coming, and the #20 pick used on a domestic player, most likely, who makes the roster. Will they feel comfortable with another player having no NBA experience?

Bruno
04-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Valencia easily won the Eurocup final 67-44 against Berlin. It isn't a typo, Berlin really scored only 44 points in 40 minutes.

Nando was fine but quiet in this game with 7 points. What I've like the most from him in this game was his defense.

Valencia is qualified for next year Euroleague. It will encourage Spurs to let Nando one more year in Europe. Next year, Nando will play with Valencia at the highest level outside the NBA (Euroleague + Spanish league). It will be good for his development.

Big P
04-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Nando for the LLE.

mountainballer
04-19-2010, 08:30 AM
agree that it is the more likely we see Nando one more year in Valencia and it's a good scenario that he will play significant minutes in either Euroleague and ACB.
I still think, do the Spurs at least play with the idea of bringing him over this summer? fact is, RMJ is as good as gone and behind Tony, Hill and Manu there is some room for a young and developing player. and Nando looked that good, mature and confident this season, he he already is at a point in his development, the Spurs likely were expecting to see him in 2011. (at best)
they might prefer to know rather earlier what he can do in the NBA and how he could fit the teams long term strategies.
if he in fact has a 700 K NBA buyout and let's guess he is willing to sign a Blair type contract this summer, it might still be a good deal for the Spurs long term.
if he also stars on Euroleague level next season and becomes a FA without buyout 2011, the Spurs might find themself in a bidding war with top Euro teams. bringing him then might take twice the money than this summer.

Ocotillo
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
This could be interesting.

With Hill, Manu, Temple and Nando, you basically have 4 good shooting guards who can handle the ball pretty well. It gives the Spurs a number of options on who could bring the ball up the floor.

Bruno
04-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I still think, do the Spurs at least play with the idea of bringing him over this summer? fact is, RMJ is as good as gone and behind Tony, Hill and Manu there is some room for a young and developing player. and Nando looked that good, mature and confident this season, he he already is at a point in his development, the Spurs likely were expecting to see him in 2011. (at best)

Yep.

The logical step by step development would be to let him playing the Euroleague next year but he has played so well this year and has shown so much talent that Spurs should maybe rush the process.

I guess Spurs' choice will also depend on their opinion about Temple and his ability to be that 4th guard behind Parker, Hill and Ginobili. Do they see him as a marginal prospect who simple played fearless during his first NBA minutes or do they see him as a legit prospect?

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 06:50 AM
a perfect scenario in my eyes the Spurs would bring in Tiago and Nando on the MLE. if Tiago signs for a starting salary of about 4 million, this would be possible.

a decision between Temple and De Colo clearly would be between defense and offense.

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 11:16 AM
a perfect scenario in my eyes the Spurs would bring in Tiago and Nando on the MLE. if Tiago signs for a starting salary of about 4 million, this would be possible.

a decision between Temple and De Colo clearly would be between defense and offense.

Not sure the Spurs would have to make a decision. If De Colo is brought in to replace the spot held by Mason, the Spurs should have enough room for both. And as you say, the two have different strengths that both play a role for this team.

If Mason leaves, Pop will want a shooter...and I think De Colo is a realistic possibility.

mathbzh
04-20-2010, 01:00 PM
What I've like the most from him in this game was his defense.

How much do you think he improved his defense?

I have always been afraid he never makes it to the NBA for being a complete liability against the NBA athletic freaks.

Bruno
04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
How much do you think he improved his defense?

I have always been afraid he never makes it to the NBA for being a complete liability against the NBA athletic freaks.

Nando has been bad to average on the defensive end in most of the games I've watched this year. Against Berlin, he played the best defense I've seen from him this year. This improvement comes from a bigger effort on his part. He put more intensity at fighting through screens and at staying with his man.

Nando will never be a great defender because of his lack of physical tools. But if he isn't coasting like he did sometimes, he is a good defender (at least at the European level).

rjv
04-20-2010, 04:22 PM
the latest interview i saw with buford on nando seemed to indicate pretty strongly that he will stay overseas next season but at least for now he looks like a project that is definitely considered a future spur by the FO

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
the latest interview i saw with buford on nando seemed to indicate pretty strongly that he will stay overseas next season but at least for now he looks like a project that is definitely considered a future spur by the FO

When was that interview? Not questioning your sources or anything, because it seems to be the consensus by our international contingent that Nando was probably going to stay overseas for another year...until his recent string of exceptional play.

I'm just curious to see if RC said these things before or in the midst of his elevated performance.

Again, I see it as a no-brainer to bring him over as a Mason replacement and get him before he becomes a Euro FA commanding more $$ than the Spurs are willing to spend.

ForeignFan
04-21-2010, 07:15 AM
When was that interview? Not questioning your sources or anything, because it seems to be the consensus by our international contingent that Nando was probably going to stay overseas for another year...until his recent string of exceptional play.

I'm just curious to see if RC said these things before or in the midst of his elevated performance.

Again, I see it as a no-brainer to bring him over as a Mason replacement and get him before he becomes a Euro FA commanding more $$ than the Spurs are willing to spend.

That was in L'Equipe a few days ago IIRC

Bruno
04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.lasprovincias.es/v/20100422/deportes/valencia-bc/nina-bonita-liga-20100422.html

El capitán, Víctor Claver, José Simeón y Nando de Colo son los otros tres jugadores que tienen contrato con la entidad valenciana el próximo año, el de la Euroliga. Competición clave puesto que tanto el agente del base francés como San Antonio Spurs (equipo que le drafteó) querían que este año jugara la máxima competición continental.

Both Nando's agent and Spurs wanted that Nando plays the Euroleague next year. With Valencia qualified, he will stay with them for next year.

I guess if everything goes well, Nando will sign with Spurs in the 2011 summer. I like that Spurs are taking their time with him. He has the talent to be a good player but the NBA transition won't be easy for him. Letting him one more year in Europe playing at a very high level will help his development.

admiralsnackbar
04-22-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.lasprovincias.es/v/20100422/deportes/valencia-bc/nina-bonita-liga-20100422.html

Both Nando's agent and Spurs wanted that Nando plays the Euroleague next year. With Valencia qualified, he will stay with them for next year.

I guess if everything goes well, Nando will sign with Spurs in the 2011 summer. I like that Spurs are taking their time with him. He has the talent to be a good player but the NBA transition won't be easy for him. Letting him one more year in Europe playing at a very high level will help his development.

Do you think there's a realistic threat that DeColo's play may progress to a level where it may prove more lucrative for him to remain in Europe at the end of next season?

Bruno
04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Do you think there's a realistic threat that DeColo's play may progress to a level where it may prove more lucrative for him to remain in Europe at the end of next season?

Nando is having an amazing year. I'm sure a lot of top teams are still interested in him. If he has a good season next year, he should receive some big offers from Europe.

There will be a new CBA in 2011 but Spurs should be able to offer him more than a minimum contract. Unlike some euro players, the NBA is a goal for him and he wants to play there. He could take a slight pay-cut to go there. A LLE-like contract ($2M per year) could be what it takes to get him.

You also have the risk of the league having a lock out in 2011. If Spurs aren't able to sign him during the 2011 summer because of a lockout, Nando won't stay unemployed and could stay one more year in Europe.

admiralsnackbar
04-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the insight, man.

mountainballer
04-23-2010, 05:00 AM
The Spurs think De Colo can be a player next year. In fact, over the past few months GMs and other executives believe the Spurs got another late second round steal.

what does this mean exactly? (what else than a player should he be next year?)
you mean a player for the Spurs for the 2010-2011 season??

spursballer21
04-26-2010, 07:42 PM
someone should post up highlights and any new news on this guy

spursballer21
04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Hmmm. What is a term that works. An NBA level player? He can run a combo guard similar to a Tyreke Evans role as I am told. The Spurs are interested in adding an off the bench 6'5"-6'7". However, they really like Garrett Temple. I'll be interested in seeing how that affects De Colo.
wow he is that good?
lol
if someone can post up links of the latest highlights

MaNu4Tres
04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Oh let me correct myself, I was distracted mid-post. The Spurs would like an off the bench 6'5"-6'7" player who can run the 1/2/3, which is why they like Garrett Temple. However, I got the chance to meet and talk to Temple, and he is 6'4" at best.

If Temple is 6'4" then Mason is 6'2".

Darkwaters
04-27-2010, 02:46 PM
If Temple is 6'4" then Mason is 6'2".

I have always suspected that Duncan is actually only 5'11.

mountainballer
05-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Nando just played another very nice game (18 points, 3-5 3s) today.
watch out for the assist at 1:12 :clap
http://acbtv.acb.com/video/2835
Nando is just damn good! shooting, court vision, ball handling, BBIQ. it's all there.

@RC/Pop: BRING NANDO IN THIS SUMMER! buy out his contract! give him the BAE. give him the Mason spot in the rotation. it will pay big dividends!

and btw. Nando might not be the best athlete in the worl, but does have very good size for a combo. the listed 6-5 can be taken as "true" 6-5. he is pretty close to Manu in size.

and hey, don't they look good in the same uniform??

http://www.lequipe.fr/Medias/Basket/200908/430x313/tony-parker-et-nando-de-colo.jpg

Big P
05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the update mountainballer!:toast

kobyz
05-02-2010, 01:08 PM
i would like to have him next year, he seems like a gamer and someone who could help from the start.

SpursTillTheEnd
05-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Is this dude coming over here next season?

Darkwaters
05-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Is this dude coming over here next season?

One more season abroad might not be a bad idea for his seasoning. He'll gain more experience there than in the D-League. However, if he continues to play at such a high level it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and snatch him up and bring him over. Buyout issues are always a concern for the Spurs - so it might make sense to just execute while you can.

De Colo is going to have to learn to play with better athletes and longer players than hes used to in Europe. The D-League can offer him a taste of that at least. I would not be opposed to pulling the trigger and bringing him in next year. However, if the Spurs feel confident they can still get him in silver and black 12 months later down the road then that course of action would be fine as well.

mountainballer
05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't see him in the D-league at all. I really think he could immediately fill the 9th or 10th spot in the regular rotation. this would give him 15-18 MPG. NBA minutes! talking about experience. of course, ACB and Euroleague next season would give him a very good amount of quality competition minutes. (about 1500-1800 minutes overall). on the other hand, if he plays the 9/10th spot, he will get about 1300-1500 NBA minutes. I would think this is a wash in terms of experience, but considering his Spurs career, it should be an advantage to learn NBA and Spurs one season earlier.

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 09:43 AM
^^^ Agreed. I don't see what the D-league does for DeColo considering the far superior competition he's already playing against.

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Guy looks a lot more French than Parker does. Ah... I don't have anything else to add.

Darkwaters
05-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't see him in the D-league at all. I really think he could immediately fill the 9th or 10th spot in the regular rotation. this would give him 15-18 MPG. NBA minutes! talking about experience. of course, ACB and Euroleague next season would give him a very good amount of quality competition minutes. (about 1500-1800 minutes overall). on the other hand, if he plays the 9/10th spot, he will get about 1300-1500 NBA minutes. I would think this is a wash in terms of experience, but considering his Spurs career, it should be an advantage to learn NBA and Spurs one season earlier.

Do we think that De Colo is that good already?

AFBlue
05-03-2010, 12:18 PM

Mountainballer seems pretty sold and it looks like he's actively following De Colo's Euroleague performances. If you look at the results, you have to say he's worth a long look this off-season.

It would seem that De Colo could take Roger Mason's place on the roster with the hope that he'd settle into Mason's role as a shooter off the bench that could occasionally handle the rock.

I know Mason's season average was around 20MPG, but it seemed like his minutes on a nightly basis were pretty sporadic...especially when the backcourt was healthy. De Colo doesn't seem like a big risk to bring over and possibly play 12-18 minutes a night.

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Does he have NBA range? Does he really project as a shooter?

mountainballer
05-04-2010, 03:28 AM

this we don't know before we don't see him in the NBA. but the 9th or 10 spot in the rotation would mean he is something like the 3rd option for either PG and SG and so he would play like 8 minutes at either spot. so, asked if I think he is good enough to play a 3rd stringer role on this Spurs team, I would answer definitely yes.
as mentioned in some previous posts, the most impressive aspect about Nando's season IMO are not the very nice numbers and performances, it's the way how he jumped from a 3rd tire European league (French league) to a 1st tire league without any visible adjustment problems and without any reduction of his previous production. and furthermore he immediately took a leading role on a very good team (currently 4th in the ACB and winner of this seasons Eurocup) and became (as a rookie) the 2nd best player on this team, only behind Rafa Martinez, a well established veteran, who plays his 8th ACB season. that's my major point. if a 22 years old player manages to adjust that easy and looks mature and confident like a seasoned veteran, he should be able to make the jump to NBA play either. I would think that the difference from being the star of a good Spanish league team to being the 3rd stringer on a good NBA team isn't that significant.

objective
05-04-2010, 03:42 AM
De Colo would be better than Roger Mason is right now.

Suspect defense and bad turnovers, but at least De Colo can make plays for others and plays with passion.

I hope the Spurs sign him for next year.

Bruno
05-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Nando has improved a lot his weaknesses this year. He still isn't a true PG (and likely never will) but he is playing way more under control than earlier this year. His defense is also better.

Valencia has locked the fourth seed of the Spanish league. If they win their first round series, they will face Barcelona in semifinal. Nando playing against Rubio in a playoff series would be very interesting to follow and very telling on how ready Nando is for the NBA.

Darkwaters
05-04-2010, 06:03 AM
I'm trying to think how the roster would shake out for next season if we signed De Colo. Heres what I think:

Parker
Hill
Temple

Ginobili
Jefferson
1st Rounder (Pondexter!)
De Colo
Veteran (Bogans, Raja Bell etc)
Hairston/Gee

Duncan
McDyess
Blair
Splitter
Mahinmi/Bonner
Veteran/2nd Rounder

Now, it's definitely possible that a decision is made to retain only one of Temple or De Colo. But I think Garrett has definitely shown that he can stick on an NBA team and De Colo might be good enough to do so as well. I wouldn't toss talent away just because you have too much. I'd keep them both on the squad. But where will all the minutes go?

mountainballer
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/05/power-electronics-valencia-also.html
Sergio Rodríguez is still undecided about to stay in the NBA or to go back to Europe, and several teams in Spain are waiting for his final decision. Besides Real Madrid and Caja Laboral, another team is reported to be interested in landing Rodríguez, who ended last season in the Knicks. Power Electronics Valencia, which will play in Euroleague next season, could have also made an offer for the 23-year-old guard.

just a rumor, but quite interesting for DeColo and his future.
Rafa Martinez will leave Valencia for Barcelona, so Rodriguez would be his replacement. interesting is also, that Valencia had also contacted Jasikevicious (goes back to Maccabi) and is interested in Doron Perkins. so or so, DeColo's role on the team will likely change in the next season, as Valencia seems more active to get a top PG, which would push DeColo to SG full time. (maybe not so good, considering his best option for a NBA career is the combo guard role)

another rumor:

The coach of Power Electronics Valencia Neven Spahija could be the main target of Fenerbahce to replace Bogdan Tanjevic, who recently stepped down his head coach duties due to health problems. Spahija is in talks to extend his contract with his current team for two years, but the Turkish team is willing to make a huge offer to hire the 47-year-old Croatian head coach, who recently led Valencia to win the EuroCup.

if Spahija leaves, DeColo and Spurs might rethink their options.

yavozerb
05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Bruno, do you know if Nando is injured? I noticed he did not play today..

Bruno
05-09-2010, 10:56 AM
It was a meaningless game for Valencia and Nando had an ankle sprain few weeks ago. They just decided to give him some rest before the Spanish league playoffs.

beachwood
05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Nando has improved a lot his weaknesses this year. He still isn't a true PG (and likely never will) but he is playing way more under control than earlier this year. His defense is also better.

Valencia has locked the fourth seed of the Spanish league. If they win their first round series, they will face Barcelona in semifinal. Nando playing against Rubio in a playoff series would be very interesting to follow and very telling on how ready Nando is for the NBA.

Alright, from the bits and pieces I've watched of Nando I'm officially very intrigued by him. Would love to see him matched up against Rubio.

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Alright, from the bits and pieces I've watched of Nando I'm officially very intrigued by him. Would love to see him matched up against Rubio.

One of the few defeats Barcelona had this season was precisely versus De Colo's team. Rubio and De Colo were basically non-factors in that game, it was a tremendous effort by Martinez and Perovic.

mountainballer
05-12-2010, 08:32 AM
one thing can be said for sure after this post season:
Spurs need shooters. badly.
Nando can shoot. greatly.
should be an easy decision. obviously.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Elected the 4th best point guard in the ACB this season. Impressive for a young rookie. I had him 5th, but it's still well-deserved.

http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=67286

I don't think 20% of the MLE is enough to bring De Colo. Maybe next season, but not this one.

to21
05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Alright, from the bits and pieces I've watched of Nando I'm officially very intrigued by him.+1

From what I've been reading....he'd be on the cheap to bring over, no?

mountainballer
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM
maybe not. but reportedly he has a 500K buy out this summer, which Spurs could cover. I don't know about his current salary, but I assume it isn't more than 500-700 K $.
(really can't see a rookie from the French league get more in the ACB. might be even less). so, my guess was, if he can get a starting salary of about 1-1.2 million $, he would already make significantly more money in the NBA next season, than he would in his 2nd year in Valencia. his value for sure goes up big time for 2011, but that's still some time till then.
we must not forget that the whole Greek disaster story will repeat soon in Spain. not that dramatic, hopefully, but take it for sure that the two European leagues that payed the most salary till now will struggle like hell.
maybe it still not enough money, but if I'm Nando and I can get something close to 2.5 million $ in guaranteed money this summer, I would really consider it.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Where did you get that buyout clause value from? I think the number for this off-season is a bit higher than that, basically the double. Also for his salary... the thing is, De Colo's salary includes the money he had to pay to Cholet. You factor all that and I doubt that 20% of the MLE after taxes would actually put more money in his bank account this season.

ANd he doesn't have to worry about contracts going down (which should happen overall but it won't happen in every club), he has a contract signed.

mountainballer
05-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Where did you get that buyout clause value from? I think the number for this off-season is a bit higher than that, basically the double. Also for his salary... the thing is, De Colo's salary includes the money he had to pay to Cholet. You factor all that and I doubt that 20% of the MLE after taxes would actually put more money in his bank account this season.

ANd he doesn't have to worry about contracts going down (which should happen overall but it won't happen in every club), he has a contract signed.

from this thread. Bruno mentioned it. (the 500K as a guess)
I didn't talk about salary going down. Nando's 2010-11 salary will be what is inked. I was talking about the options for 2011. there is absolutely no guarantee what kind of contracts ACB teams will be able to hand out. fact is, Spain will face tough times. the golden days of playing basketball in Spain or Greece will be over soon. players might prefer to get guaranteed money from a NBA team right now.

and btw. that 1-1.2 million $ are just a number. it was more about give the idea where it could come from. if it takes the BAE to get Nando, I would still do it.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
European basketball has been facing tough times for awhile - Valencia is a good example of that, CSKA is another. But while the NBA is a league where the teams ability and willingness to pay salaries is correlated with the economic climate, European basketball is not a rational enterprise from an economic perspective. I doubt you'll see a decrease in the earning potential of the top players.

Yeah, the BAE would be enough.

mountainballer
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
well, tough times is what some teams and countries went thru in the last years..
but you might have realized, that what happens in Greece is far beyond that. that's a totally new situation. a countrie that goes bankrupt and needs to be bailed out by the other EU countries. only by accepting draconic requirements and command.
you really think Germany and the others will accept for half a second that some megalomaniac Greece owners will furthermore put tons of evaded tax into the teams with the state of Greece further subsidizing the whole fraud by taking enormous costs for the environment and infrastructure of the teams?
this is over.
and the same will happen in Spain within the next six months. not as brutal, but more significant than they imagine right now. (the 750 billion Euro Aid Package the EU decided on Monday was primary decided to prepare for the upcoming Spain crisis)

this summer we will see the beginning of a big exodus of players from Europe to the NBA. they will be accepting contracts that wouldn't even have cost them a mild smile a year ago.
let's talk again in August or September.

rayray2k8
05-12-2010, 12:22 PM
This guy is not on the minds of the Spurs FO at the moment. Spurs need to fix other issues before they can bring this guy over and im sure they'll address him before anything else.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
well, tough times is what some teams and countries went thru in the last years..
but you might have realized, that what happens in Greece is far beyond that. that's a totally new situation. a countrie that goes bankrupt and needs to be bailed out by the other EU countries. only by accepting draconic requirements and command.
you really think Germany and the others will accept for half a second that some megalomaniac Greece owners will furthermore put tons of evaded tax into the teams with the state of Greece further subsidizing the whole fraud by taking enormous costs for the environment and infrastructure of the teams?
this is over.
and the same will happen in Spain within the next six months. not as brutal, but more significant than they imagine right now. (the 750 billion Euro Aid Package the EU decided on Monday was primary decided to prepare for the upcoming Spain crisis)

this summer we will see the beginning of a big exodus of players from Europe to the NBA. they will be accepting contracts that wouldn't even have cost them a mild smile a year ago.
let's talk again in August or September.

The bail-outs are an absolute disgrace - and the austerity measures are too soft -, but what exactly do you think the Germans will do with the Angelopoulos injecting money in Olympiacos, for example? Invade the Balkans? They became even richer with the financial crisis and the state of the Greek economy is pretty irrelevant to their personal fortunes. Or the Spaniards? They wont' scale down their investment on the football teams, let alone the basketball ones. The problem is in the government, anyway. It's the politicians that must control their spending habits. Sports clubs too, but they've done much of it in the last couple of years. If they want to avoid fiscal evasion, they better bring down tax rates. They wont' increase the income tax on top level salaries (like the ones basketball players make) any time soon because that would screw them even more, making it harder to attract investment and high-level professionals.

I doubt you'll see any big exodus. Mostly because there aren't enough quality players in Europe to see a mass migration to the NBA. You'll see the guys who were expected to move - Splitter, Pekovic, Childress, maybe someone like McCalleb, maybe Kleiza, a few other guys like Brezec last season - but that's all.

Manufan909
05-13-2010, 02:57 AM
So when is the latest Colo's season will end?

And I'm in the camp of bringing him over now. Especially after reading he'll get the same number of minutes here, they will just be more spread out. Just play him against scrubs until he dominates them.

OTOH, with Hairston/Gee/Temple fighting for the 1-3 spots, there just might not be enough space. Gee and Hairston will prob be competing for the same spot, but who knows? There could be as many as 4 rookies on the team, but TD, MG, TP, GH, DB, RJ, AM should be enough to have balance. And please don't ask me what Ian and Hairston are. I don't believe Splitter and Colo shouldn have a hard a time adjusting, seeing how close their competition is to NBA level.

If Bogans leaves with Mason, the roster could be:

Parker/Temple
Hill/Manu/Colo
Gee/RJ/Hairston
Tim/Blair
Splitter/Dice/Bonner or Ian

That would be a sick lineup. Maybe as many as 4 shooters (if Temple is consistent) instead of the 2 they had this year. I know Pop wants to get younger and more athletic, but he played Bonner whilst crying for the Ds of lockdown defense, and didn't coach well enough to have the team gel earlier in the year. Not to flame him, only a psychic could see the chemistry problems before they hatched. But it is all on him Theo left, yet no effort was made to truly integrate Hairston or Ian into the roster.

P.S. I know I'm dreaming, and I don't realistically expect more than 4 rookies, with Splitter and Temple being givens. Plus, Pop will sign some zombie for the minimum. Too bad if he gets it right he gives the dude to Larry Brown for peanuts.

Bruno
05-13-2010, 07:25 AM
So when is the latest Colo's season will end?

Spanish league playoffs schedule (at the bottom of the page):
http://www.acb.com/calendario.php?vd=1&vh=34&cod_competicion=LACB&cod_edicion=54

In theory, it's June 19th.
Saying that, if Valencia won their first round match up, they will likely face Barcelona in the next round. Barcelona is the best team in Europe, Valencia should lost this series.

So Nando end of the season will be:
At the earliest: May 22th.
At the latest: June 6th.

Manufan909
05-13-2010, 01:47 PM
If his team wins it all that might force Pop's hand, as he'll obviously have a big role, since he's already the 2nd best guy on his team.

If he comes over at 23 that'd be great. I really don't want him to be as old as Manu his "rookie" year. 24 wouldn't be too bad, though. Giving him time to shine in Europe could bite the Spurs on the ass if others notice his greatness, which undoubtedly they already have.:bang

mountainballer
05-14-2010, 06:38 AM
The bail-outs are an absolute disgrace - and the austerity measures are too soft -, but what exactly do you think the Germans will do with the Angelopoulos injecting money in Olympiacos, for example? Invade the Balkans?

don't get me wrong, it's not about the Angelopoulos brother or that Angela Merkel calls George Papandreou to stop some player signings. of course not.
it's the big picture.
the Greek disaster comes from several reasons and one of the major reasons is the tax avoidance, which has reached unbelievable dimensions. (30 billion euro per). especially the rich don't pay taxes. not at all. they currupt some tax officers. deal done.
and this will need to stop, or EU will stop sending money. why? aside the fact that the whole Greek package is very unpopular in the "payer" countries (Germany as well as Austria, per head Austria pays even more than they do), what people hate most is the point, that more or less the people from European countries pay the taxes of rich Greeks. and that's why EU will force Greece government to stop this. because otherwise they will lose their election in their home country. (like Merkel had to learn a week ago in the most populous German federal state)
what does this have to do with basketball?
well, the whole Greek league is run by black money. plus non payed social insurance contributions. that's millions and millions. the moment they start tax inspections there (and they will need to, for the mentioned reasons) the league will collapse. that moment the Angelopoulos money is irrelevant.
players will just try to escape that situation.

mountainballer
05-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Power Electronics Valencia, considering to transfer Kosta Perovic to keep Neven Spahija

The talks about the extension of Neven Spahija's contract with Power Electronics Valencia are right now on stand-by. The Spanish club wants to keep the Croatian coach, but the economical demands of Spahija could force Power Electronics Valencia to sell a player to afford his salary. The main candidate to leave is the Serbian center Kosta Perovic. Teams like Caja Laboral could be one of the teams that would be interested in Perovic. Matt Nielsen, another target of Caja Laboral, could also decide whether to stay or not in Valencia depending on the renewal of Spahija's contract.
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/search/label/Power%20Electronics%20Valencia

Valencia might as well be interested to get some buy out money for De Colo?

yavozerb
05-15-2010, 08:40 PM
http://acbtv.acb.com/video/2891

A couple of highlight reel passes from nando today..

yavozerb
05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Damn, the spurs really need to think about bringing this kid over for next season. He would really help on 3 pt shooting and could take over that RMJ role, take a look, each video pertains to a single game in eurocup finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amz1ihK1EmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O-4cSbSbw

mogrovejo
05-19-2010, 05:19 PM
As a side note, I highly doubt Spahija's contractual situation is really about money. They want to get rid of him - someone inside the club - and there are some power struggles going on. It's going to be interesting to follow, especially if they're kicked out in the 1st round.

And he's gone. De Colo will have a new coach next season.

mountainballer
05-20-2010, 04:31 AM
I hear you. let's not turn the DeColo thread into a political forum about Greece.
(my fault I know, I started this)
maybe we can agree about two points:
with the Euro losing quickly against the $ and the two European countries with the highest paying leagues in significant economic struggles, the NBA has won back a lot of attraction, also (or especially) for players who would have to start on a low salary level in the NBA. (which is the case for DeColo)

Their problem is in the government debt, the government workers retiring when they're 45 years old with full salaries guaranteed till the end of their life.

it doesn't even always stop at the end:downspin:
Greece is probably the only country that has a rule that this retired income of government workers can be transmitted to heirs. no joke. the salary of a father goes to the daughter, if she isn't married or she is divorced. that rule cost the country another billion $ per.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-20-2010, 07:36 AM
I hope the Spurs front office is reconsidering their decision to leave de Colo over in Europe next season, he was en fuego for the latter part of the season, and the highlights I'm seeing are damn impressive for any basketball player.

De Colo should be a spur next season, I hope RC and Pop get their heads out of their stubborn asses for once.

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I hope the Spurs front office is reconsidering their decision to leave de Colo over in Europe next season, he was en fuego for the latter part of the season, and the highlights I'm seeing are damn impressive for any basketball player.

De Colo should be a spur next season, I hope RC and Pop get their heads out of their stubborn asses for once.

I agree, but how many times has the front office (pop) changed their stance on a situation like this.:bang

DBMethos
05-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Damn, the spurs really need to think about bringing this kid over for next season. He would really help on 3 pt shooting and could take over that RMJ role, take a look, each video pertains to a single game in eurocup finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amz1ihK1EmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O-4cSbSbw

Reminds me a lot of Manu, especially offensively. Doesn't seem like he attacks the basket quite as much as a young Manu, but his perimeter game (dribbling, passing, running offense) is very similar. As long as he isn't a total liability defensively, he could definitely provide some solid minutes on the Spurs.

Mal
05-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Bring him in

RobinsontoDuncan
05-21-2010, 07:21 AM
I agree, but how many times has the front office (pop) changed their stance on a situation like this.:bang

Those two (Pop and RC) might be smart, but they have to be the most stubborn assholes in the nba when it comes to stuff like this.

objective
05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I watched that playoff game against Joventut from the 15th and was disappointed. Yes, he had the slick passes that I had seen him with before. He also mostly took smart shots and also knew when to re-feed the post instead of being selfish. Didn't shoot too well but hey, it's just one game.

But he also was benched for crunch-time in the 4th after a terrible turnover. He had his typical bad turnovers in the game but was less reckless than I remember him.

The worst thing was his defense. I remember him being bad, but he was exceptionally awful this game. He looked like he would quit on defense anytime he encountered a pick. He just ended up casually following the general direction his man went and waited for someone else to make a play, his man to score, or his man to miss. He also got lost several time just trying to stay with his man without the ball around some modest screens. I was shocked and had to wonder if he has some kind of blood-sugar issue because he looked even worse than Mason, much worse. The kind of effort he had in that game would have him doghoused for all time if he did that as a Spur.

Bruno
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
He sucked against Joventut but it wasn't a playoff game. It was a meaningless game of the regular season with both teams having nothing to win or lose. In big games, he gives more effort on the defensive end but he still isn't good and struggles to fight through screens.

objective
05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
thanks, didn't know it wasn't playoffs, my spanish sucks.

yavozerb
05-21-2010, 02:47 PM
http://acb360.orange.es/partidos/LACB/54/310#start

Playing right now..

scottspurs
05-21-2010, 03:45 PM
two stupid fouls by Nando with less than two minutes to go got him benched

Bruno
05-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Fun game to watch.
Unicaja won at the Buzzer with Zabian Dowdell.

Nando sucked and fouled out with less than a minute to go. This game also showed how he struggles defending quick players. I'm convinced that his future in the NBA is at the SG spot after having add some weight.

taps
05-21-2010, 03:57 PM
^ the four consecutive made free throws it cost them made all the difference in the 1 point loss for Valencia (Nando's team.)

Sadly, Nando contributed negatively to this game 1 playoff loss in crunch time, we'll see if he can bounce back for the game on Sunday

edit: @ bruno: He has good size but do you think he has what it takes to create his own offense against NBA 2's? Also do you think he'll be strong enough to defend NBA 2's?

Bruno
05-21-2010, 04:19 PM
@ bruno: He has good size but do you think he has what it takes to create his own offense against NBA 2's? Also do you think he'll be strong enough to defend NBA 2's?

Nando will have a harder time to create his offense in the NBA but I don't see how it will be more difficult for him to do it against SGs than against PGs. SGs are bigger but they also are slower.

He clearly isn't strong enough to defend SGs but he also clearly isn't quick enough to defend PGs. The difference is that you can get stronger butit's almost impossible to get quicker. Nando weights 186lbs, with 10-15lbs of muscle added, he should be strong enough to defend most of the SGs.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Does Nando remind anyone else of Manu circa 2003?

TimmehC
05-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Only on offense, and he's definitely not as good at getting to the rim.

Bruno
05-23-2010, 07:28 AM
End of the season for Nando and Valencia.

Nando was horrible in this game. He did nothing on the offensive end. On the defensive end, he was a foul machine (4 PF in 10min). He can't defend "quick" PG that attack the basket. And when I say "quick", it isn't Tony Parker quick but Omar Cook quick.

Overall, Nando and Valencia have had a great season with the Eurocup win and a good RS in Spain but Nando has been awful in the playoff and he is a big reason why Valencia lost against a good team of Unicaja.

toki9
05-23-2010, 11:53 AM
So another year of Euro play for Nando?

mogrovejo
05-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Unicaja grossly underachieved this season but they're more talented than Valencia.

Yeah, Cook owned De Colo. Too experienced, athletic and physical; De Colo never checked into the game mentally, melted down under the pressure. Still a rookie though; it was more pathetic to see Gary Neal owning Claver in spite of giving up 6 inches.

pjjrfan
05-23-2010, 02:37 PM
He needs work but I liked his agressiveness, and he didn't seem flustered though he committed some really stupid fouls at the end, but he sees the court well and has handle with the right work ethic and someone to show him what to work on he could be a steal.

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Keep the kid over for another year.

Blackjack
05-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Unicaja grossly underachieved this season but they're more talented than Valencia.

Yeah, Cook owned De Colo. Too experienced, athletic and physical; De Colo never checked into the game mentally, melted down under the pressure. Still a rookie though; it was more pathetic to see Gary Neal owning Claver in spite of giving up 6 inches.

I've noticed a lot of talk of how poorly he played in the playoffs and now I see comments like, "melted down under pressure." Do you believe it's a mental thing, a physical thing or some combination?

I guess what I'm getting at, is he soft mentally; does he generally rise to the occasion or disappear when the game's on the line?

mogrovejo
05-23-2010, 05:21 PM
No, if anything he tends to step up for big games. He was superb in the Eurocup playoffs for example. Had a bad game versus Rubio in the Copa del Rey semi-final, but lots of European guards went through that experience this season. And he likes the ball on his hands during the big moments. Nah, he's generally charismatic and self-confident. It's just a bad playoffs series from a young player with a very tough matchup to deal with + allowing officiating decisions to get into his head. I think in a similar situation next season he'll keep his composure, even if he still can't defend his counterpart 1x1.

Blackjack
05-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Good to hear. :tu

Mr. Body
05-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Not really.

admiralsnackbar
05-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Based on the game most recently linked, his creativity, sneakiness, court vision, and motor remind me of Manu, but the overall offensive package isn't there yet, and the defensive end of his game seems miles away.

Russ
05-23-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm convinced that his future in the NBA is at the SG spot after having add some weight.

You're convinced of a lot more than me.

Bruno
05-24-2010, 04:06 AM
You're convinced of a lot more than me.

No, I'm not. I could have added "if he has one".

mogrovejo
05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Mogrovejo http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4347928#post4347928)
As a side note, I highly doubt Spahija's contractual situation is really about money. They want to get rid of him - someone inside the club - and there are some power struggles going on. It's going to be interesting to follow, especially if they're kicked out in the 1st round.

And he's gone. De Colo will have a new coach next season.

Bruno
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Spahija gone could be a huge factor in Nando's future. The friendship between Pop and Spahija allowed Spurs to keep a close eye on Nando. Changing coach every year (if Nando sign with Spurs in 2011, Pop will be his 4th coach in 4 years), isn't also ideal for the growth of a young player. I still think Spurs will let him one year in Valencia to play the Euroleague but he won't be there in a as great situation as originally planed.

If Rafa Martinez left, as rumored, the team to go with Barcelona, I also wonder if Nando will continue to play PG or will move to the SG spot.

mogrovejo
05-28-2010, 06:31 PM
It seems they're going to sign Velimir Perasovic. Excellent coach.

Bruno
05-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Valencia new coach is Manolo Hussein.
I don't know if he is good coach but he has very few experience of the high level. I guess they didn't want to spend a lot of money for their coach and went with a cheap one.

mogrovejo
05-31-2010, 03:35 PM
I really like Manuel but I know him so I'm kind of partial. Excellent choice, IMO. He's not popular due to his demeanour and style but so far in his career he's never failed to accomplish the goals he was supposed to attain at the start of the season. True he never coached for a club like Valencia, but I'm very excited to see how he does.

DesignatedT
06-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Anyone know if Nando will play on the SL team this off-season? Wasn't he supposed to last year but was a late scratch for some reason? Or am I thinking of something else.

angelbelow
06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Would love to see him on the SL roster.

Mel_13
06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Would love to see him on the SL roster.

Not likely. Summer league is 9-18 July and France begins camp for the WC on July 25th.

Bruno
06-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Nando will still be under contract with Valencia. If FIBA sticks with last year rules, he won't be allowed to play in SL without the written consent of Valencia.

Even if Valencia agreed to let Nando play SL, the best for him is to take some rest before playing with FNT. With Parker and Antoine Diot out, Nando should get major minutes this year. Playing with the NT will help way more his development than SL.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
No need to bring him in this summer. We have an assload of guards for that already.

mountainballer
06-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Nando will still be under contract with Valencia. If FIBA sticks with last year rules, he won't be allowed to play in SL without the written consent of Valencia.

Even if Valencia agreed to let Nando play SL, the best for him is to take some rest before playing with FNT. With Parker and Antoine Diot out, Nando should get major minutes this year. Playing with the NT will help way more his development than SL.

agree. SL would be total nonsense for him. playing the WC gives us also a much better idea how he can do against proven NBA players. (especially against Spain)

Bruno
06-02-2010, 06:33 AM
FNT will also play a game against USA at the MSG on August 15th. It will be interesting to see what Nando will be able to do in this game.

Darkwaters
06-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Very intriguing indeed. I look forward to both of those games.

mountainballer
06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
don't know an accurate place for this, so I post it here, because his name was mentioned several times in this thread:

http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/06/neven-spahija-would-consider-to-become.html

Neven Spahija would consider to become an NBA assistant

Neven Spahija is still undecided about his future after leaving Power Electronics Valencia a couple of weeks ago. The Croatian coach is reported to have offers from several European clubs (like Efes Pilsen or Fenerbahce), but is also considering another choice: moving to the United States to become an assistant for a NBA team. Spahija also said he wouldn't mind to be back to Valencia in a couple of years.

whatever this is worth. just thinking about what NBA team could be interested in him.
hm. good friend of Pop and long term relationship to the Spurs organisation. just saying. (no doubt that Spahija would be a great assistant coach for any NBA team.) and would a star coach like Spahija (on Euro level) accept an assistant role in the NBA, if it wasn't under a coach like Pop? (or Jackson. but that's it IMO)

objective
06-07-2010, 03:15 PM
true, but considering the Spurs budget they'd probably have to lose an assistant coach first, and I don't think any of them are getting any head coaching jobs.

Mel_13
06-12-2010, 02:06 PM
To close the loop on Spahija:

Wasting no time in filling the vacancy at the head of its bench, Fenerbahce Ulker announced Friday that Neven Spahija will be the new head coach for the Turkish champions.

http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/transactions/2010-11-signings/i/72499/4465/fenerbahce-ulker-tabs-spahija-as-new-boss

Bruno
06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Nando was on a web radio a week ago and confirmed that he should stay in Valencia next year. It isn't a surprise but it's always good to have the confirmation from the player himself.

2 little videos about Nando:

For people not knowing him, a long and boring highlight of what he did in Eurocup this year:
NDtlkORmZqs

For the fun, a Spanish commentator going crazy after 2 great plays:
pIMoBa3iN40

EricB
06-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Damn shame. Could use his shooting...

Mr. Body
06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Damn shame. Could use his shooting...

For serious. I didn't see him miss a shot in those entire videos. :lol

yavozerb
06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
I would have liked his shooting as well, but most (including nando himself) realized he needs more seasoning at the elite level of european basketball. It is also very interesting in the fact he is being given every opportunity to develop as a pg instead of strictly a sg.

Bruno
06-26-2010, 02:34 PM
There are some rumors about Valencia going after point guards (Doron Perkins and Earl Calloway) because Nando could leave them to sign with Spurs.

Links:
http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/20100626/53952317780/noticia/el-madrid-ultima-la-renovacion-de-reyes.html
http://www.diariodesevilla.es/article/deportes/733427/valencia/esquilma/sevilla.html

I take it with a grain of salt because Nando said that Spurs wanted to let him one more year in Europe and the James Anderson pick hurts Nando's chances to sign with Spurs.

Buddy Holly
06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
I take it with a grain of salt because Nando said that Spurs wanted to let him one more year in Europe and the James Anderson pick hurts Nando's chances to sign with Spurs.

Not if they trade Tony.

I could see a backcourt of:

Hill/Colo
Manu/Anderson

benefactor
06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Not if they trade Tony.

Hill/Colo
Manu/Anderson
Not seeing it...not wanting to.

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Not if they trade Tony.

Hill/Colo
Manu/Anderson

So our starting and backup PGs would both be SGs?

Can't see it.

angelbelow
06-26-2010, 06:38 PM
would be awesome to watch him play during the summer league.

Spurologist
06-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Nando was on a web radio a week ago and confirmed that he should stay in Valencia next year. It isn't a surprise but it's always good to have the confirmation from the player himself.

2 little videos about Nando:

For people not knowing him, a long and boring highlight of what he did in Eurocup this year:
NDtlkORmZqs

For the fun, a Spanish commentator going crazy after 2 great plays:
pIMoBa3iN40

"Everybody is talking about me!!!"

:lmao

Thompson
06-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Not if they trade Tony.

Hill/Colo
Manu/Anderson

Or maybe trade Hill:

Tony/Colo/Temple
Manu/Anderson

and if clubaliens' suggestion goes through, maybe Paul George as backup SF. Paul George might have more upside, but Hill is proven and the Pacers need a point guard (Hill's close enough).

venitian navigator
06-26-2010, 07:26 PM
the george choice has been a weird one considering his game is similar to granger's one...could have been made just 'couse haywrd was taken just before him.
possible that has been made knowing that some teams (spurs?) loved george's game and asked to draft him in case...

Gino2882
06-26-2010, 10:29 PM
the george choice has been a weird one considering his game is similar to granger's one...could have been made just 'couse haywrd was taken just before him.
possible that has been made knowing that some teams (spurs?) loved george's game and asked to draft him in case...

I know this may have happened before, but I really don't think the Pacers drafted Paul George hoping another team trades them a PG for him. I think they would listen if they could get a PG. Paul George sees himself as a SG so I can see him and Granger playing together.

Seventyniner
06-27-2010, 09:04 PM
So our starting and backup PGs would both be SGs?

Can't see it.

Maybe we're going to run the triangle. The Lakers didn't need a playmaker at the point to win two titles.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Valencia has signed Omar Cook. Either Nando will mainly play SG next year with them or he is on his way out.

mountainballer
07-12-2010, 07:55 AM
also interesting in this regard:
Valencia is interested in Denys Lukashov and that young guy is pretty much the same player like DeColo. (21 years old, 6-3 combo guard, good passer, great 3 point shooter)
maybe the Cook signing cooled the interest of Valencia in Lukashov, the report is about one week old. however, if they would in fact sign him, I can't see Nando stay.

mountainballer
07-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Rafa Martínez extends his contract with Power Electronics Valencia until 2014

Rafa Martínez will continue playing for Power Electronics Valencia until 2014. The 28-year-old guard, who arrived to the Spanish team in 2008, was on the radar of several teams like Regal Barcelona, but will finally stay in Valencia. Last season, Martínez averaged 13.5 points and 1.7 assists per game in the ACB league.
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/07/rafa-martinez-extends-his-contract-with.html

that's pretty interesting. it was reported for weeks that he will leave (to Barcelona), but finally he stays. can't say if either Pana or Oly is a good place for him. loaded roster on both teams.

and simultaneously there is this report:

Olympiakos and Panathinaikos, interested in Nando De Colo

Nando De Colo is on the radar of the two top Greek clubs. Olympiakos and Panathinaikos are interested in the 23-year-old French guard, who played last season for Power Electronics Valencia. According to the Greek media, Panathinaikos is the front runner to land De Colo, though the player is under contract until 2012. De Colo averaged 13.2 points and 2.8 rebounds per game in the last ACB league

with Martinez returning and the signing of Omar Cook, the role of De Colo in Valencia would decrease next season. can't say if either Oly or Pana is a good place for him. loaded roster at either team.

mountainballer
07-19-2010, 10:29 AM
what is also means: even with a contract till 2012 with Valencia, Nando obviously is available. probably a small chance he will be brought overseas? (I know we don't need another guard)

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
The reports of Nando to Greece are all coming from the Greek press, so I wouldn't rate that as much of a possibility.

This interview with Nando is from July 17th. From the Google translation, I gather that Nando is looking forward to playing PG for Valencia this season and that he has regular contact with the Spurs.

Perhaps one of our French posters could translate or summarize:

http://www.basketusa.com/news/38731/interview-nando-de-colo-objectif-titulaire-en-equipe-de-france/

Bruno
07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
For the moment, this rumor doesn't sound solid at all. Nando should play next year a big role for Valencia as a combo guard.

Pana and Oly aren't a great opportunity BB wise for De Colo but they have more money than Valencia. If they decide to open their wallet for Nando, he could make the jump for the money.

Brazil
07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
The reports of Nando to Greece are all coming from the Greek press, so I wouldn't rate that as much of a possibility.

This interview with Nando is from July 17th. From the Google translation, I gather that Nando is looking forward to playing PG for Valencia this season and that he has regular contact with the Spurs.

Perhaps one of our French posters could translate or summarize:

http://www.basketusa.com/news/38731/interview-nando-de-colo-objectif-titulaire-en-equipe-de-france/

It's a long interview but I tried to translate the main points.

What do you think of your first season ?
I think I did a good season considering it was my first season out of France. The Valencia staff trusted me a lot so it has been easier for me.

Are you disappointed by the departure of Neven Spahia ?
I would have prefered to see him staying with us. Now he's gone. This is bb: he has received a better offer which is normal because he did a very good job with us. It's really a good coach, I learned a lot with him.

Have you regular contacts with the spurs ?
Several guys from the spurs came here and I stay in contact with them by telephone or internet. It's comfortable for me to see they are following me closely if I decide to play in the nba.

The potential TP departure could have an influence on your decision to come to play in the nba?
IDK. I'm focused on thechallenges to come... I have another year of contract. Let me see first how I will perform with Valencia, then we will see.

Whats your opinion regarding Beaubois who played with you in Cholet ?
I'm not surprised. Rodrigue is built to play in the nba, he played a tremendous game against GSW now it's up to him to confirm.

What is your objectif with the FNT ?
I hope I will be the starting PG. This year I've demostrated I'm capable of playing PG.

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 12:48 PM
It's a long interview but I tried to translate the main points.

:tu

Thanks

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Appreciate it, Brazil. :toast

Bruno
07-19-2010, 07:15 PM
An interview of Nando's agent:
http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/2010/07/19/live-news/nando-de-colo-autant-sur-une-logique-de-rester-que-sur-une-logique-de-depart/

Nando's agent is saying:

- They are talking with Valencia to get a salary raise after his good season.
- They have some doubts about Valencia's ambition after the loss of their coach (they went from a high level coach to a newbie) and the loss of some of their mains players (Nielsen, Perovic, Kelati..).
- The Omar Cook signing is a sign in the right direction that Valencia is serious about not sucking in EL. They wants to use more Nando's versatility this year than last year and play him at both guards spots.
- He has buyouts clause in his contract that are quite high but that top teams in Europe can pay.
- Greek teams (I guess Oly and Pana) have contacted him but there are also other Euroleague teams interested in him. They are in wait and see mode and could very well stay in Valencia or leave the team.

Brazil
07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
:tu

Thanks

Appreciate it, Brazil. :toast

u're welcome !

mountainballer
08-12-2010, 08:49 AM
- The Omar Cook signing is a sign in the right direction that Valencia is serious about not sucking in EL. They wants to use more Nando's versatility this year than last year and play him at both guards spots.

reportedly Valencia is now looking at Kennedy Winston. if this signing happens, there won't be many minutes left at the SG spot (behind Martinez and Winston).
however, this might also be a sign that Valencia thinks (knows?) that Nando will leave.

http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/08/power-electronics-valencia-interested.html

Bruno
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Nando said yesterday on his facebook that he will stay in Valencia next year.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nando-De-Colo-Official-Fan-Page/357290276862

It is now official: in spite of offers from other clubs, Nando chose to stay next season with Power Electronics Valencia, club with which he will particularly participate at Euroligue.

He got a salary raise from 250K€ to 350-450K€.

mountainballer
08-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Nando said yesterday on his facebook that he will stay in Valencia next year.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nando-De-Colo-Official-Fan-Page/357290276862

He got a salary raise from 250K€ to 350-450K€.

I see. so we have to hope that he will outplay some other guards. (especially if they add Winston). on the other hand, if we hope he is a legit NBA talent, he will need to be able to outplay players like Martinez, Cook and Winston.

Bruno
08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I see. so we have to hope that he will outplay some other guards. (especially if they add Winston). on the other hand, if we hope he is a legit NBA talent, he will need to be able to outplay players like Martinez, Cook and Winston.

Winston (if he is signed) will also play some 3 behind Claver. Valencia will be a little deeper than last year but it's logical given that they will play the Euroleague.

ace3g
08-13-2010, 08:30 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/77/fullj.41f4ad726a2e0d2f723cfdc92803eba0/41f4ad726a2e0d2f723cfdc92803eba0-getty-basketball-france-canada.jpg
France's Nando De Colo(notes) (R) drives past Canada's Ryan Bell (L) during their friendly game at the 2010 Jack Donohue International Classic tournament in Toronto, Canada, August 12, 2010. Canada defeated France 69-58.

spursballer21
08-13-2010, 11:07 PM
How much did he score in the friendly game

Bruno
08-14-2010, 01:45 AM
FNT has b2b games against the awesome Canada and lost the first one by 11 and the second one by 22.

Nando scored 11 points in the first game and 2 points in the second games. He also had a lot of turnovers (11 for these two games).

ace3g
08-23-2010, 11:40 PM
FIBA 2010 Players To Watch

Nando De Colo #7 of 12

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/fiba.players.to.watch/images/slide4.jpg

An array of French stars are sitting out the 2010 World Championship -- Tony Parker and Joakim Noah to name a few -- but the team is still loaded with young up-and-comers, including 6-foot-6 combo guard Nando De Colo. He struggled in France's pre-worlds exhibition game against the U.S. but has shown loads of potential in recent years, which led the San Antonio Spurs to select him in the 2009 draft.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/fiba.players.to.watch/content.7.html#ixzz0xUlJ61V5

admiralsnackbar
08-23-2010, 11:51 PM
FIBA 2010 Players To Watch

Nando De Colo #7 of 12

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/fiba.players.to.watch/images/slide4.jpg

An array of French stars are sitting out the 2010 World Championship -- Tony Parker and Joakim Noah to name a few -- but the team is still loaded with young up-and-comers, including 6-foot-6 combo guard Nando De Colo. He struggled in France's pre-worlds exhibition game against the U.S. but has shown loads of potential in recent years, which led the San Antonio Spurs to select him in the 2009 draft.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/fiba.players.to.watch/content.7.html#ixzz0xUlJ61V5

Neither here nor there, but it's interesting that of the 12 players profiled, 6 have ties with the Spurs.
(Scola, Splitter, DeColo, Turkoglu, Javtokas, and Schortsanitis)

Bruno
08-24-2010, 04:00 AM
Nando struggles with FNT this summer.

With Valencia, he is a scoring PG but with FNT, he tries to be a pass first PG. He isn't playing his game and the result is quite ugly because he is out of sync.

During the last game against Australia, he played for the first time some SG and he was a little better. However, he still will continue to play some PG with FNT because they need him at that spot.

objective
08-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Neither here nor there, but it's interesting that of the 12 players profiled, 6 have ties with the Spurs.
(Scola, Splitter, DeColo, Turkoglu, Javtokas, and Schortsanitis)

how exactly would Sofoklis come to have any Spurs ties?

mountainballer
08-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Nando struggles with FNT this summer.

With Valencia, he is a scoring PG but with FNT, he tries to be a pass first PG. He isn't playing his game and the result is quite ugly because he is out of sync.

During the last game against Australia, he played for the first time some SG and he was a little better. However, he still will continue to play some PG with FNT because they need him at that spot.

considering the latest signings of Valencia, he will have to play mainly PG (or combo) to get his minutes. Valencia now has 3 good options for SF (Fernandez, Savanovic, Claver), so Winston will play mostly SG and Martinez as well. the combo slot is the only one that isn't overcrowded at this roster.
but this will be good, he will need to be able to handle some point anyhow, if he wants to succeed in the NBA.

admiralsnackbar
08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
how exactly would Sofoklis come to have any Spurs ties?

Wasn't it said that there was mutual interest between himself and the Spurs a few years ago? I may be wrong (and the fact that he was drafted by the Clippers suggests I am), but that's my recollection... unless of course I'm mixing him up with another Brobigdanian black Greek center.

Bruno
08-24-2010, 07:46 AM
considering the latest signings of Valencia, he will have to play mainly PG (or combo) to get his minutes. Valencia now has 3 good options for SF (Fernandez, Savanovic, Claver), so Winston will play mostly SG and Martinez as well. the combo slot is the only one that isn't overcrowded at this roster.
but this will be good, he will need to be able to handle some point anyhow, if he wants to succeed in the NBA.

Winston will be the backup SF. Savanovic is a PF and Fernandez is an end of the bench player.

Valencia's last year team was:
PG: De Colo - Marinovic
SG: Martinez -Kelati
SF: Claver - Kelati
PF: Nielsen - Pietrus
C: Perovic - Lishuk

This summer:
- Cook has replaced Marinovic
- Winston has replaced Kelati
- Savanovic has replaced Nielsen
- Augustine has replaced Pietrus
- Javtokas has replaced Perovic.

This year team will be:
PG: De Colo - Cook
SG: Martinez - Winston
SF: Claver - Winston
PF: Savanovic - Augustine
C: Javtokas - Lishuk

At the end of the bench, they will have Simeon and Fernandez.

Valencia will play will basically the same kind of 9 men rotation that last year. Nando will have a little more competition at PG because Omar Cook is way better than Marinovic. The consequence is that Nando could play some SG next year while he almost only played PG last year.

mountainballer
08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
of course you are right about the Valencia rotation. (I mistook Savanovic as a SF)
however, some surprising news about Valencia: they canceled (or didn't complete) the signing of Winston:
http://www.valenciabasket.com/index.php?id=noticias&noti=487

if they don't find a replacement for Winston, Nando will play more minutes at SG.
(but this would also lower the chances of Valencia to succeed in the Euroleague)

Bruno
08-26-2010, 06:46 PM
That's strange. Maybe he failed his physical.

Replacing him shouldn't be too complicate because good swingmen are common and because they don't have constraints on the nationality of the new player.

mountainballer
08-27-2010, 03:30 AM
yes, Valencia can offer spotlight in the Euroleague, that's a huge advantage, so they will get interest from some FAs that are left. wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Carney, Wilkins, Devin Brown, Hayes, McCants etc. end up there. (didn't check if all still are FAs)

mountainballer
08-30-2010, 03:26 AM
http://www.thehoopsmarket.com/news/kennedy-winston-will-play-for-virtus-bologna-next-season.aspx

it was in fact a knee injury that caused Valencia to cancel the contract with Winston. he now will sign with Bologna.
that's somehow interesting, because this kind of closes the circle to the move of Moss from Bologna to Siena as the replacement of Hairston.

objective
08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Only saw the 2nd half today.

De Colo was up and down after getting off the bench. Had a three, made a good drive and dish for an assist, had a nice steal. But also was up and down defensively plus had some stupid fouls. He fouled out of the game on some fouls that would make Ian shake his head.

Solid D
08-31-2010, 12:26 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Nando De Colo just became trade bait after today's performance against Canada.

Bruno
08-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Valencia faced Malaga in Spanish league playoffs. They lost 2-0 and Nando was horrible against Malaga guards who were relatively quick and athletic. There were especially a SG in Malaga that had a great series. His name: Gary Neal. It's certainly not a coincidence that Spurs have signed Neal and let De Colo in Europe.

Nando heavily struggles to defend players with some quickness, size or strength. Given that the number of slow, unathletic and small guards in NBA, it's a huge problem. This weak defense isn't fully compensate by some great offense. He is too inconstant at that end of the court.

Nando is the kind of player who can do very well in Euroleaque but who will struggle in NBA. He needs to seriously improve in some areas to become one day a good NBA player.

Solid D
08-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Plus he needs to work on the mental aspect of the game. A couple of examples from the 4th quarter of the game against Canada in the WCs: (1) losing his focus and allowing his man (Denham Brown) take a baseline out-of-bounds pass and waltz uncontested to the basket for a layup; (2) France leading by three in the last seconds of the game, Canada rebounded a France miss and Nando came over (after everyone else cleared out) and fouled, trying to reach to tie-up the ball. It stopped the clock and gave Canada 2 FTs.

These are examples of a lack of mental focus and a need to play smart.

Obstructed_View
08-31-2010, 03:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Nando De Colo just became trade bait after today's performance against Canada.

So he had a good game, then? You don't bait your hook with something the fish won't eat.

Solid D
08-31-2010, 08:20 PM
So he had a good game, then? You don't bait your hook with something the fish won't eat.

Yeah, they may have to add some bacon.

Brazil
08-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Plus he needs to work on the mental aspect of the game. A couple of examples from the 4th quarter of the game against Canada in the WCs: (1) losing his focus and allowing his man (Denham Brown) take a baseline out-of-bounds pass and waltz uncontested to the basket for a layup; (2) France leading by three in the last seconds of the game, Canada rebounded a France miss and Nando came over (after everyone else cleared out) and fouled, trying to reach to tie-up the ball. It stopped the clock and gave Canada 2 FTs.

These are examples of a lack of mental focus and a need to play smart.

I fully agree, his play in the last seconds of the game was pretty stupid.

Bruno
08-31-2010, 09:08 PM
I wonder if Nando didn't do his last foul on purpose to avoid a transition 3 point shot from Canada. With the FIBA 3 point line being so close (it's great that it will change), there are a lot of teams in Europe who always foul when they are up by 3 at the end of a game.

Solid D
08-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Judging by the expression on his face after he did it...I highly doubt he purposely fouled. He was actually trying to grab the ball away from him, or get a jump ball.

Chieflion
08-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Judging by the expression on his face after he did it...I highly doubt he purposely fouled. He was actually trying to grab the ball away from him, or get a jump ball.

There is no jump ball in FIBA. If you grab the ball when the opponent has it, the official will award it to you. Nando was clearly trying the ball back but it was so retarded.

Solid D
08-31-2010, 10:34 PM
There is no jump ball in FIBA. If you grab the ball when the opponent has it, the official will award it to you. Nando was clearly trying the ball back but it was so retarded.

Jump ball situation/alternating possesion on a held ball.

http://www.fibaamericas.com/files/informes/FFD43DB6212043F99BE39603B2EFEF06.pdf

April 2010
Page 18 of 81
OFFICIAL BASKETBALL RULES 2010
Rule Four - Playing regulations
12.3 Jump ball situations
A jump ball situation occurs when:
- A held ball is called.
------------------------------------
12.5 Alternating possession procedure
12.5.1 In all jump ball situations teams will alternate possession of the ball for a throw-in at
the place nearest to where the jump ball situation occurs.

stéphane
09-01-2010, 02:40 AM
That's some poor peformances by De Colo in the WC so far.

Mal
09-01-2010, 01:23 PM

In FIBA basket there is an arrow. It shows who will have possesion. There is a jumpball at the begining. Then arrow change direction every quater, every jump ball situation.

velik_m
09-01-2010, 03:49 PM
That's some poor peformances by De Colo in the WC so far.

What little i saw of De Colo on this WC, he was really disappointing, one of the worst on the French team so far.

mountainballer
09-09-2010, 10:23 AM
new teammate (former Spur) for De Colo:

http://www.thehoopsmarket.com/news/power-electronics-valencia-signs-jeremy-richardson.aspx
Power Electronics Valencia signs Jeremy Richardson
The former NBA player, last season in Aris, will replace Kennedy Winston in the Spanish team

Bruno
11-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Some news:
Valencia is having an atrocious season so far. They are 1-3 in Euroleague and 1-6 in Spanish league. Their coach has been fired.
Nando has started well the season with a couple of good games. He then has had a toe injury has been bad since he came back of that injury. Nando is nowhere near his last year level. With his poor games and Neal looking good, his future as a Spur doesn't look good.

mountainballer
11-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Manuel Hussein was a big flop, seems as if Valencia now will go for a big name in Euro basketball.
Svetislav Pesic, Bozidar Maljkovic, Panagiotis Giannakis have been mentioned.
as far as I know Giannakis has never worked outside Greece.
but he has quite a reputation when it comes to developing young players.

velik_m
11-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Some news:
Valencia is having an atrocious season so far. They are 1-3 in Euroleague and 1-6 in Spanish league. Their coach has been fired.
Nando has started well the season with a couple of good games. He then has had a toe injury has been bad since he came back of that injury. Nando is nowhere near his last year level. With his poor games and Neal looking good, his future as a Spur doesn't look good.

Hopefully they'll be 1-4 in Euroleague after this week. :downspin:

I've seen some ACB games this year too and Nando plain sucks. It's still early, but i think it's safe to label him as a bust. He might still have a good Euro career, but he has to decide if he's a PG or SG, cause right now he's neither.

mountainballer
11-16-2010, 07:16 AM
I don't think they can afford someone like Giannakis. I would think only the very richest clubs could afford his salary. Pesic might possibly be within their salary range because he has been out of coaching any top level clubs for a long time. As far as I know, Maljkovic is retired. So I would guess Pesic out of that group.

I was also surprised to see Giannakis mentioned and yes, he was probably the best payed coach in Europe, when he worked for Olympiakos and the National team. Valencia doesn't have that kind of money. (and I don't see him leave Greece.)

is Maljkovis really retired? he isn't that old. (health? other jobs?)

I also think that Pesic is most realistic from that group. (and he is the best choice IMO). he still has a great reputation in Spain, even considering his greatest success is some years back. (he did also nice work in Girona 2007 though)

Also, if it was Giannakis that would very possibly be bad for De Colo. You don't see the court for Giannakis unless you are a good defender.

in general I do agree, that Giannakis demands defense from his players.
but I was thinking mainly about Teodosic, when making my comment. (and Teodosic is as bad a defender as De Colo)
I think there are quite some similarities between Teodosic and De Colo and the development of Teodosic might give an idea about De Colos potential.
(which doesn't automatically imply NBA potential though. both might very likely be a better fit in Europe)

velik_m
11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Pešič was named a new coach of Valencia

mountainballer
11-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Pešič was named a new coach of Valencia

oh. that was quick.
great choice!

Bruno
11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Pesic is a great coach. We will now see if Nando can be back at the level he had last year.

And lol Valencia's management.
They left Spahija go and sign a cheap coach to save money. They end up paying 2 coaches salaries including Pesic's one who should be quite expensive. Brilliant...

velik_m
11-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Valencia lost again yesterday, but De Colo played much better. He played mostly as a SG, i think he didn't play as PG at all.

mountainballer
11-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Supposedly, Pesic is getting like 450,000 euros for just the rest of this season. Valencia is stupid because you can sign 2-3 solid players for that amount.

???
please define "solid" in this context.
yes, you can get a solid player for 150-200K per. for the Austrian league.
450K for a man of Pesic caliber sounds like they got a discount for bringing him back to Spain.

mountainballer
11-26-2010, 03:06 AM
first real big win from Valencia this season. 73-69 road win in Athens against Panathinaikos. De Colo played a good game, did well at creating his shot and was great in clutch time. (14 points, 4 reb. in 23 minutes)
signs that the hiring of Pesic already pays off.

mountainballer
12-06-2010, 04:42 AM
looks more and more as if Valencia did exactly the right move when they hired Pesic.
they are 5-1 since he took over. (Euroleague and Spanish league combined)
before Pesic they were 2-9.
De Colo had a decent game in the Euroleague vs. Efes and a quiet game yesterday in an easy win in the Spanish league.
but overall it really seems as if the coaching change has helped De Colo as well. currently it's just his still bad 3pt shooting that holds him back.

ChumpDumper
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Many of the better players in big European leagues make between 80-150k euros. That is net though and they pay the agent fees and also for their cars and living.

Even some of the biggest names in Europe make around 150k or less euros net. 150k euros net is similar to around what a minimum rookie NBA contract is.

And just for comparison, the max you can earn in the D-League is 30,000 dollars gross and your agent fees don't get paid and they don't pay for your house or car.Housing is paid for in the D-League.

Darkwaters
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh, I didn't think it was. That's good because they don't have a good salary. I guess it makes sense because a lot of guys are making like $20,000.

I would imagine that a lot of the players have to take side jobs to pay for their expenses. 20k plus housing just isn't much money.

I'd be curious what some of the players' days jobs might be.

Libri
12-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Valencia won against Union Olimpija and are part of the top 16. They will move on to the next stage of competition in the Euroleague.

De Colo had 8 points, 3 rebs, 2 assists, 2 steals

Javtokas had 10 points, 5 rebs

mountainballer
12-30-2010, 05:45 AM
last game of the year 2010 for Nando last night and he played very well. his best game of the 2010-11 season in the acb so far. (23 points)
Valencia has finally saved the season after the disaster start, sneaked into the Euroleague top 16 and is back in the mix in Spain as well.
if Nando didn't continue to struggle badly from downtown, we could be happy again with what he shows. considering that Neal looks to have established the potential Nondo role till at least summer 2013, Nando might become more of a trade asset, than a future player. (Nando's contract with Valencia ends 2012, buyout 2011 should be something around 1 million $)

mountainballer
01-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Euroleague top 16 draw:
Valencia will meet Olympiakos, Fenerbahce and Zalgiris.
not a bad draw. Oly is better, but Fener and Zalgiris can be beat.
(Fenerbahce was pretty good in the regular season though)

angelbelow
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the updates.

Bruno
01-04-2011, 08:00 PM
IOMAZZfSsoQ

mountainballer
03-04-2011, 04:50 AM
thanks to a win over Fenerbahce in the last game of the Euroleague top 16 Valencia qualified for the PO and will meet Real Madrid there.
Nando was pretty good last night (15 points) and finally also hit some 3s. (2-3)

considering how bad Valencia started the season, the PO qualification is really a big surprise and a clear proof how great a coach Pesic is.

tuncaboylu
03-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Nando De Colo was really played very well yesterday. He definately dominated each defender who tries to stop him and he was a difference maker.

I think it's time to think adding him to roster next year.

spursbird
03-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Nando De Colo was really played very well yesterday. He definately dominated each defender who tries to stop him and he was a difference maker.

I think it's time to think adding him to roster next year.
Not even possible. He's not an NBA level player right now.
And the Spurs has enough guards already. All we need is a solid big and a defensive wing. I think Hairston is the right one but obviously the Spurs FO don't think so.

tuncaboylu
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Not even possible. He's not an NBA level player right now.
And the Spurs has enough guards already. All we need is a solid big and a defensive wing. I think Hairston is the right one but obviously the Spurs FO don't think so.

Infact we have only 4 guys in PG/SG position(Parker, Manu, Hill, Neal) and another one doesn't hurt us for next year. We can use James Anderson as a defensive (or offensive) wing if he can, if he can't we should find another one. And we also have 5 bigs in rotation and another one is not an emergency alert.

Bruno
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
De Colo could take Quinn spot but coming to the NBA to be a 3rd string guard isn't really a smart move.
The best for him is to stay in Europe and work on his game.

mathbzh
03-04-2011, 12:59 PM
De Colo could take Quinn spot but coming to the NBA to be a 3rd string guard isn't really a smart move.
The best for him is to stay in Europe and work on his game.
I would say the best for him is probably to stay in Europe and forget about the NBA.
I don't think he will ever be able to defend any decent NBA guard. So unless he becomes a dominant offensive player I don't see him having much success here.
But someday he may become a great Euroleague player.

Johnny RIngo
03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
De Colo isn't an NBA calibre guard. Neither is Quinn but at least De Colo has youth on his side. He has the potential for improvement and the only way that happens is if he stays in Europe. I'm not holding my breath, though. Everytime I've seen him play I've been wholly unimpressed.

Mel_13
03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
But maybe in 4-5 years time I could see him being a solid backup SG in the NBA.

So.... he'll be better than Spanoulis.

elemento
03-10-2011, 05:04 AM
in 5 years the dude will be almost 30 years old ..

i don't think he will play in the NBA ever

tuncaboylu
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
So.... he'll be better than Spanoulis.

He's already better now.

Mel_13
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
De Colo will NEVER EVER be half as good as Spanoulis is. NEVER.

You said De Colo would be better than VSpan. Can't have it both ways.

mathbzh
03-11-2011, 03:11 PM
De Colo:

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=002100&clubcode=PAM&seasoncode=e2010

De Colo will NEVER EVER be half as good as Spanoulis is. NEVER.

By the way I am surprised you failed to notice De Colo improvement for the last two games. You were so eager to cover his first steps at the European top level... I thought you were a fan.

k_nguyen93
05-07-2011, 09:29 AM
wGpymCSi60c

Bruno
06-01-2011, 03:42 PM
A quick update:

De Colo's season has ended a week ago with Valencia pulling a Spur int eh playoffs (losing in the first round while being favorites). Pesic hasn't been kept and Valencia shouldn't play the Euroleague next season. There is a rumor saying that De Colo could join Malaga, who is qualified for the Euroleague.

I don't expect at all De Colo joining Spurs this summer. Spurs being loaded at the guards spots and a possible lockout wouldn't help his case but the main reason is that he hasn't been good enough this year in Europe.

Brazil
06-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't see him going in the NBA, I think he will stay in Europe

ace3g
06-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Galatasaray agreed with Nando De Colo?

The Turkish team now has to reach the agreement with Valencia

According to Turkish website Salsabasket, Nando De Colo agreed to terms with Galatasaray Istanbul but the Turkish team did not reach an agreement yet with PE Valencia. The French player has another year of contract with the Spanish team
The Turkish team is one of the most active clubs on the market and they are targeting the guard since weeks.
De Colo finished the season recording averages of 10.1ppg in Euroleague and 10.7ppg in ACB.

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/turkey/28892/galatasaray_agreed_with_nando_de_colo.html

GSH
06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Galatasaray agreed with Nando De Colo?

The Turkish team now has to reach the agreement with Valencia

According to Turkish website Salsabasket, Nando De Colo agreed to terms with Galatasaray Istanbul but the Turkish team did not reach an agreement yet with PE Valencia. The French player has another year of contract with the Spanish team

It's supposed to be a three-year deal, with one of those punitive buyout clauses. So even if he was ready to play in the NBA, he's not coming.

Get ready to mothball this thread for another three years.

Bruno
06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
De Colo's agent denied rumors about Galatasaray.

GSH
06-29-2011, 11:27 PM
De Colo's agent denied rumors about Galatasaray.

Isn't this when the agent mentions how much his client would love playing for the Spurs, and uses that to negotiate a better deal? Not that it's ever happend before or anything.

Bruno
07-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Mickael Pietrus and Beaubois are out this summer with FNT. It will be a great opportunity for Nando to get a lot of playing time. Maybe with a great summer, he can draw some interest from Spurs.

BackHome
07-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Well if Tony gets hurt we would have to have Manu play major minutes which would come back to hurt us at the end of the season. So if it is not Nando then I guess it is our rookie?

ivanfromwestwood
07-26-2011, 05:42 PM
hey bruno. what did you think of Nandos game today? scoring and defense. thanks

Bruno
07-26-2011, 07:07 PM
It was a game that was so one sided that you had to be careful but Nando was very good. To me, he was one of the best french player with Diaw, Seraphin and Gelabale.

Offensively, he played well within the offense. He didn't force the issue and was good in transition and has had a a couple of nice plays at the rim. The best part of his offense was his passing game.

Defensively, he was matched up against Knicks' player Andy Rautins. The biggest part of the job against him is sticking with him and fighting through the screens. Nando was great at that even if you have to admit that he was help by Canada's shitty point guard play and ball movement.

The best to take from this game is maybe that it seems that Nando will be the starting SG for the team. He will be in the starting unit with Parker, Batum, Diaw and Noah. Being surrounded by such strong players should help him to improve his game.

ivanfromwestwood
07-26-2011, 09:01 PM
thanks Bruno. France looks to be very talented. no Ian?

Bruno
07-27-2011, 05:45 AM
no Ian?

Nope and it's kinda logical.

Noah and Turaif are better than him. He could have been the third string C but the coach went with and offensive minded player (Ali Traoré) to complement a paint rotation that was filled with defensive minded players.

mathbzh
07-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Nope and it's kinda logical.

Noah and Turaif are better than him. He could have been the third string C but the coach went with and offensive minded player (Ali Traoré) to complement a paint rotation that was filled with defensive minded players.

That is for Traoré. Then Collet went with Seraphin. First to give Seraphin a first run with the French team. Then because he is probably the strongest french player and could already help dealing with the biggest C.

Personally I like Seraphin and was happy with what I saw in his first game (to be confirmed in a more competitive context).

But I am not sure Traoré is a great choice. His confidence is not at the highest and he is strictly a scorer. If he does not score, he is an undersized center who can't play defence or grab a rebound.

Bruno
07-27-2011, 08:14 AM
That is for Traoré. Then Collet went with Seraphin. First to give Seraphin a first run with the French team. Then because he is probably the strongest french player and could already help dealing with the biggest C.

Personally I like Seraphin and was happy with what I saw in his first game (to be confirmed in a more competitive context).

But I am not sure Traoré is a great choice. His confidence is not at the highest and he is strictly a scorer. If he does not score, he is an undersized center who can't play defence or grab a rebound.

Seraphin was first picked just to practice with the team for a couple of weeks before leaving the team. They picked him to know what he could do and to allow him to know a little the NT with future years in mind. Ian is more known and knew more the team and that's why they didn't go with him for this practice spot. Seraphin was great during practices and the first game against Canada. With M. Pietrus and Bokolo out of the team, Collet has left the door open to Seraphin for making the 12 man roster.

The idea behind Traoré is that the team hasn't a low post scorer and could use his scoring ability at some point of the championship. But I agree that he sucks at defending and rebounding. His confidence shouldn't be a problem because he has had a good second half of season in Italy.

mathbzh
07-27-2011, 08:48 AM
I agree with you on Seraphin, but it was highly unlikely the FT could count on the 12 players Collet had in mind.
As soon as he was in the first list, Seraphin had a legit shot at making the Eurobasket and Collet looks comfortable with it.

mathbzh
07-27-2011, 08:59 AM
he has had a good second half of season in Italy.
I didn't knew that. If he is on a roll offensively he can be a nice asset.

ace3g
07-27-2011, 11:21 PM
De Colo helped France in a victory over Canada 106-44; here are his stats:
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/3886/03/79/56/10JWCLymE0QU/

mathbzh
07-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Game 2 against Canada. France win 86-69.

Good game for Nando 14 pts (6/14, 1/5 3pts) 6 rbds 3 ast 4 stl 1 TO.

Bruno
07-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Yep, Nando was good again yesterday against Canada. IMO, he was the best french player on the court. Even if it's only 2 friendly games against Canada, I find that he has improved a lot compared to last year. He is more mature athletic and consistent.

dbestpro
08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Basketball is a funny game. Some players need to play with better players to allow their game to show. Playing with players of less caliber always tends to make a guy try to do too much. Maybe this is the case with Nando.

ChuckD
08-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Seraphin was first picked just to practice with the team for a couple of weeks before leaving the team. They picked him to know what he could do and to allow him to know a little the NT with future years in mind. Ian is more known and knew more the team and that's why they didn't go with him for this practice spot. Seraphin was great during practices and the first game against Canada. With M. Pietrus and Bokolo out of the team, Collet has left the door open to Seraphin for making the 12 man roster.

The idea behind Traoré is that the team hasn't a low post scorer and could use his scoring ability at some point of the championship. But I agree that he sucks at defending and rebounding. His confidence shouldn't be a problem because he has had a good second half of season in Italy.

So Ian isn't a good enough defender/rebounder to make it in that role, or a good enough scorer to make it in that role. Got it.

Bruno
08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
So Ian isn't a good enough defender/rebounder to make it in that role, or a good enough scorer to make it in that role. Got it.

No, you don't.

ChuckD
08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Traore = not in the NBA any more.

That's who's beating out Ian for a spot on the French NT.

ace3g
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
De Colo had a big game to help France beat Lithuania: http://www.eurobasket2011.com/en/default.asp?cid={13FE876A-D668-47E5-BFDF-C043215442BF}&compID={D166E39E-2323-4863-B229-76357A926FA2}&season=2011&roundID=7526&gameID=7984-E-6-2