03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_dejuan_blair.jpg

DeJuan Blair | C-F
Born: Apr 22, 1989
Height: 6-7 / 2.01
Weight: 265 lbs. / 120.2 kg.
College: Pittsburgh
Years Pro: R

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dejuan_blair/index.html)

AFBlue
03-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Beast...nothing more need be said.

But of course, I will continue... :lol

Nothing in Spurs history will likely be on-par with lotto ball bouncing the Spurs' way in the 1997 draft, but Blair falling to the Spurs in the second round may end up being pretty darn close.

Just in his rookie season, despite limited knowledge of the Spurs' system and underdeveloped offensive game, Blair has already established himself as a productive rotation player. His game speaks for itself, posting the best points per 40 minutes (17.2), rebs per 40 minutes (13.6), and PER (18.34) of any big not named Duncan. Actually, his R/40 is higher than Duncan (13.4) and he has the 3rd best PER on the team of players with regular minutes...ahead of Tony Parker.

Blair's impact however, goes beyond the numbers. If you watch him play you can tell that he's an incredibly intelligent person, often making the right passes or understanding where he needs to be on the court. He also has an infectiously positive personality and displays relentless energy/hustle.

The best part about Blair is his youth and upside. As previously mentioned, Blair doesn't have a go-to offensive move in the post or any real mid-range game to speak of. Give him an off-season working with Duncan in the post and Engelland on the perimeter and this kid could be scary good.

There's always going to be a concern about his lack of ACLs and what that means for his upside to the team as far as role and minutes. But, I'd say that he's already outperformed to the expectations of a second round pick and the future looks promising for both him and the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
we got 2 lottery picks for nothing when they all drop into our hands, spliiter and heavy d

AFBlue
03-08-2010, 04:49 PM
we got 2 lottery picks for nothing when they all drop into our hands, spliiter and heavy d

Technically the Spurs don't have Splitter yet. But yeah, I imagine both will be key to their future if they want to stay relevant. To that end, I'm glad that the Spurs locked up Blair for four years at a rookie-level salary. Having a player that good for that cheap only increases the chances that the Spurs stay relevant.

exstatic
04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
If parker could ever learn to feed him cutting to the basket he could put up 12/10 easy. DB has great hands, but Tony has trouble dropping a bounce pass in traffic, a better option than throwing it over the top of the trees.

Spurs Brazil
08-05-2010, 02:45 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN
Btw, Blair says leg soreness that kept him out in Vegas a non-issue. To prove it, he dunked several times for ikds at #spurs youth camp.

talked to dejuan blair. Says he's been working on his range. How far can ge go. "Still got no range," he laughed. #spurs

ivanfromwestwood
09-21-2010, 05:19 PM
whats DB's role this season? 1st big off bench? starter? while he average a double double?

yavozerb
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
whats DB's role this season? 1st big off bench? starter? while he average a double double?

Why would it be any different than last season? He well play behind TD and split time with bonner at the 4. No way he averages even close to a doubel double, sorry.

EricB
09-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Depending on how he's improved in his defensive rotations and other spots who knows.

Right now he's gonna fight Dyess for minutes IMO, Bonner as well.

Splitter might take some of Duncan's minutes depending on how he adjusts, how well he plays etc.

Booharv
09-24-2010, 06:39 AM
He definitely needs to work on his defensive rotations. He also needs to lose some weight so that he can stay with players on the perimeter, and get up and down the court with stretch fours. This is especially true if he is going to play more PF this year since Splitter is on the roster. He also needs to work on his jumper obviously. Tbh my optimistic outlook for him has always been as a Charles Oakley type, so if he could hit jumpers and be the weakside help defender Oak was that would be great.

The only way I can see him getting a lot of minutes is some significant weight loss and a vastly improved jumper. Since he would need to play pf to average anywhere near 30. Even then Duncan would have to sit out back to backs to get his total that high. All in all, a highly improbable scenario.

ace3g
08-24-2011, 09:01 PM
AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy
Wilson Chandler has signed with the Italian club Olimpia Milano. Chandler can opt out in several months, after the Euroleague's first stage.

DeJuan Blair has received similar, month-by-month offers from European teams.

benefactor
08-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Might as well. If he waits until the lock out is over to start playing ball again he's going to look like Tractor Traylor.

ace3g
09-27-2011, 09:45 AM
DeJuan Blair (@DeJuan45) makes his international debut today. His game will be streamed online right here: http://www.basketnews.lt/informacija/tiesiogiai.html

ivanfromwestwood
09-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Round - Sep 27, 2011 (by Eurobasket News)

Krasnye Krilya - Siauliai 98:78 Krasnye Krilya opened the VTB League Qualifying Round with an impressive victory. The Russian team fired past Siauliai in Lithuania. DeJuan Blair (201-F-89, college: Pittsburgh) stepped up with 23 points and 11 rebounds to lead the effort.

ivanfromwestwood
09-29-2011, 09:37 PM
The competition there (Sialai) is like 3 levels below the Euroleague level. If not more.

Basically, games like that are totally meaningless.thanks for the insight. im not very familiar with the level of competition he is playing with.

admiralsnackbar
10-14-2011, 11:04 PM
thanks for the insight. im not very familiar with the level of competition he is playing with.
Wouldn't put much stock in his "insight."

ElNono
10-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Can't get these over there...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8EKSVjg77qY/TOWJAfYDBOI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/SR1OO3kAJXU/s1600/whataburger.jpg

Anonymous Cowherd
10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Truth though that may contain, I thought it was always part of the plan for DeJuan to spend that long in Russia, and leave before the next phase of the season, rather than being "let go" as a monetary decision made along the way.

TDMVPDPOY
11-30-2011, 04:22 AM
a question about blair, does he still have upside even though his not gettin starter miinutes?

i wonder how his career would be if he was drafted on a scrub team being a starter....

Mr Bones
12-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I love Blair's heart and effort, but the Spurs bought low and now it's time to sell high. People mocked Minnesota for trading Brandon Roy based on his damaged knees, but now Roy has retired due to medical issues. Sorry, but MRIs don't lie.

Plumblbw
12-11-2011, 01:57 PM
His defensive + height problems aside, it's such a shame he's been unable to develop a reliable midrange jumper.

Mr Bones, when you say "time to sell high", does Blair still have any trade value? I know his cheap contract prevents us from getting back equal / greater value in return, but do other GM's not also view him as an undersized centre who cannot shoot outside of 8ft from the rim and doesn't play defence.

Mr Bones
12-11-2011, 02:17 PM
You're right-- he'd have to be included in a package with other players. A team in dire need of rebounding would consider him as a useful energy guy off the bench. I think part of his trade value is that he has such a cheap contract and would be a minimal risk.

Spurs Brazil
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Jeff McDonald
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
After last season, Pop challenged Blair to get better handle on his weight. Blair seems to have taken those orders to heart. Good sign.

Jeff McDonald
Blair losing weight a mild upset given 2 months spent in Russia. Didn't care for Russian food. Stuck to McDonald's and TGIFridays.

Jeff McDonald
To answer the same question, asked many times: Blair looks good physically. Didn't balloon to Vin Baker levels as some predicted.

Jeff McDonald
Vows to get back to playing like he did his last season at Pitt. Wants to, in his words, "unleash the rage." Seems energized.

Jeff McDonald
Very good interview with DeJuan Blair today. Spent the offseason watching tape of his first two NBA seasons. Didn't like who he saw.

AFBlue
12-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I know pre-season talk like this is common and the real test is if he'll maintain throughout the season...but a motivated DeJuan puts the Spurs in a much better position. I understand he's undersized, but he plays an effective role when he's light enough to move his feet.

TDMVPDPOY
12-12-2011, 01:42 AM
did blair spent time watchin his 2 cameos in rap videos...? lmao

timmike2
12-13-2011, 09:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRIGTPkMr9o&feature=related
So strong is it? or the opponents just that soft :nope

dbestpro
12-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Blair needs to play angry. I just want to puke when smiles after making a mistake.

8FOR!3
12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Blair needs to play angry. I just want to puke when smiles after making a mistake.

That's just not his personality. Can't really change that. That video suggests he's been working on his jumper. Form doesn't look consistent, but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did last year. You can just tell by looking at the way he plays by the time he's an older veteran in this league he's going to have a really crafty game.

timtonymanu
12-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't mind Blair smiling after mistakes. I just don't want him trying to make the top 10 plays every possession of the game. Just play like rookie year Blair and things will be fine.

ducks
01-01-2012, 12:13 AM
better this year then last

ace3g
07-09-2012, 12:27 AM
“I’m trying to get down to 260 (pounds), and it’s working,” Blair said. “I’ll be great by September. I know I’m on the trading block, so we’ll see what happens.”

“I love the Spurs, but they’ve got a lot of ‘bigs,’ and they’re bringing somebody else from overseas, so where am I going to fall at?” he said. “I was out of the rotation at the end of the season, so imagine next year.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/07/08/blair-doubts-he-will-be-with-spurs-next-season/

Good chance he is talking about Lorbek (in terms of what he has heard in the news/rumors) but maybe (small chance) it is Kirilenko... I wonder how much he knows about the Spurs plans or if he was just speculating about them bringing someone from overseas

pad300
07-09-2012, 10:00 AM
That's just not his personality. Can't really change that. That video suggests he's been working on his jumper. Form doesn't look consistent, but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did last year. You can just tell by looking at the way he plays by the time he's an older veteran in this league he's going to have a really crafty game.

Assuming his knees are still working after 8 or so years in the league...

mountainballer
07-12-2012, 05:45 AM
Asked if ‪#Sixers‬ have no interest in DeJuan Blair. "You are correct," replied team president Rod Thorn.
https://twitter.com/tmoorepburbs

did we hear any rumors about the Spurs talking to the Sixers? or does this guy just ask, b/c he read that Blair is available.

jyra
07-12-2012, 05:58 AM
I think the question was asked because the Sixers just amnestied Brand, maybe they could need a cheap replacement like Blair. But they also resigned Lavoy Allen and have Thad Young who mostly plays at the 4.

I hope they can find a taker for him before the season starts. If he sits on the bench his trade value will only go down.

Edit: http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/kyler-on-calderon-howard-blair-augustin.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Spurs are looking for a taker (http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/06/spurs-shopping-dejuan-blair.html) for DeJuan Blair (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/blairde01.html), and the Sixers could be a match, says Kyler. He adds that a Blair trade, whether it's with Philadelphia or another club, is "probable."

dbestpro
07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Link on hoops hype had shown Philly GM say they had no interest in Blair. Most teams do not see him as having a lot of value. He is the Earl Boykins of big men.

Big P
07-13-2012, 06:37 PM
blair needs to get off twitter and use that time in the gym.....I don't have a twitter account, but you can read them on some of the basketball sites....blair tweets more than everyone else on the Spurs combined.

lakerhaterade
07-14-2012, 02:34 AM
blair needs to get off twitter and use that time in the gym.....I don't have a twitter account, but you can read them on some of the basketball sites....blair tweets more than everyone else on the Spurs combined.

+1

If he wants to stay with the Spurs, the fat ass should be working on his game and losing some of those unneeded lbs.

He was utter shit last year in terms of athleticism.

ace3g
08-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Former Pitt star DeJuan Blair growing up as an NBA player

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/former-pitt-star-dejuan-blair-growing-up-as-an-nba-player-647932/#ixzz22qhQ9JEV

admiralsnackbar
08-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Former Pitt star DeJuan Blair growing up as an NBA player

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/former-pitt-star-dejuan-blair-growing-up-as-an-nba-player-647932/#ixzz22qhQ9JEV

Shifting to playing the 3? That's an unusual adjustment! Would probably be great for his value if he beat the (long, long) odds and successfully transitioned to a position his size was more traditionally associated with. That said... does anybody think a guy whose main assets are a nose for the ball and block-out mass is capable of keeping up (in terms of both speed and conditioning) with the average NBA SF?

Smart money's on no, IMO.

AussieFanKurt
08-07-2012, 06:50 AM

I noticed that too... wtf

benefactor
08-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Blair at SF?

rofl

8FOR!3
08-07-2012, 11:02 AM
If he can lose the weight, that's great. He's in a small forwards body. I like the fact that he's got the attitude where he thinks he can lose the weight and transform into a SF. It'd be addition by subtraction. One less big yeah, but he's not that valuable because he played way too undersized last year. If he was being stuck on Carmelo and LeBron, obviously the coaches felt like he could keep up with them enough not to be a complete liability.

lurker23
08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
DeJuan would have to make a TON of improvements to transition to the 3. That's not a knock on him, it's simply the truth- he'd have to really focus on perimeter defense, a mid-to-long range jumper, and ball handling. He doesn't really have command of any of those yet.

Honestly, I'd be happy if he successfully transitioned to a fully functioning 4 man. He still needs to add some lateral mobility and a mid-range jumper to get there, though.

Darkwaters
08-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Blair at SF?

rofl

In other news, Tiago Splitter is working on my PG skills. Hes my darkhorse to backup Tony this year.

Spurs Brazil
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Spurs Still Attempting To Trade DeJuan Blair
Aug 07, 2012 10:40 AM EDT

The Spurs are continuing to search for a trade of DeJuan Blair.

"Hopefully, I stay a Spur, but if it doesn't happen, life moves on," Blair said. "They've got me on the trade market and they'll do the best to get me in the greatest situation possible."

Blair started 62 games this past regular season, but averaged just 7.6 minutes during the playoffs.

"It's tough, not even playing," he said. "I kept my teammates into it, kept them going. Once I got my time, I used the best of my minutes. ... Last year was last year, just like the year before was the year before.

"It's all the same thing. I'm working really hard to not have the issues at the end of the year, keep my body right, get my shot and just be a pro."

Via Douglas Farmer/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (via Project Spurs)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/news#ixzz22tMKRuOH

Bruno
08-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Losing some weight is a good idea for Blair because it will reduce the stress on his knees. Losing too much weight will however hurt his game but he still has a lot of pounds to lose before it happens. The idea of playing SF is terrible because he doesn't has the skills to play at that spot.

Regarding a trade, Spurs have tow options.
The first option is to trade Blair for another PF. They could other pieces to have a relatively attractive package.
The second option is to sign a PF and then trade Blair for pick(s). He won't fetch a first round pick but getting a solid second round pick would be a nice return.

Obviously, signing a PF and trading Blair for picks is the easier option. It might very well what will happen if Spurs push the trigger with Blatche.

Bruno
08-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Blair posted a photo of himself and it has indeed lost a lot of weight:
http://instagram.com/p/Oa6eOCLq_Q/

If Spurs can't upgrade the backup PF through free agency or a trade, the best they could do is to give that spot to Blair. He will be in shape and in a contract year so he could be decent. He would likely at least be better than playoffs Bonner.

dylankerouac
08-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Blair posted a photo of himself and it has indeed lost a lot of weight:
http://instagram.com/p/Oa6eOCLq_Q/

If Spurs can't upgrade the backup PF through free agency or a trade, the best they could do is to give that spot to Blair. He will be in shape and in a contract year so he could be decent. He would likely at least be better than playoffs Bonner.

Great to see. I haven't given up on him yet, I am glad he hasn't given up on himself too!!

Duncan2177
08-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Damn I wonder how much weight he lost?

ace3g
08-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Well he did say he wants to try and play SF. Hopefully he doesn't take off too much, still needs some of that strength at PF.

G-Dawgg
08-20-2012, 07:30 AM
He'd be fuckin awsome if he had a good midrange jumper like McDyess'

dylankerouac
08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
He'd be fuckin awsome if he had a good midrange jumper like McDyess'

Agreed.

dbestpro
08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
He may be the only NBA player who has no jumper, whatsoever. Not even one that he can shoot and miss.

ace3g
09-01-2012, 09:47 PM
https://p.twimg.com/A1k4haLCUAAHirt.png:large

ace3g
09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
56 m ago:

DeJuan Blair ‏@DeJuan45

I KNO HOW TEBOW FEELS RIGHT NOW! I SWEAR!

DPG21920
09-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Wow

dbestpro
09-17-2012, 09:51 AM
56 m ago:

DeJuan Blair ‏@DeJuan45

I KNO HOW TEBOW FEELS RIGHT NOW! I SWEAR!

I didn't know Tebow liked cheeseburgers.

Bruno
09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
DeJuan is in great shape. Surely the best shape of his Spurs career:
http://instagram.com/p/P8JCDSLq0U/
http://instagram.com/p/P9yq6gLq2j/

Hopefully, it will translate on the court. The key for him is to outplay Bonner.

lmbebo
09-24-2012, 05:06 PM
too bad he can't put that effort into his defensive play

DPG21920
09-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Have to love contract years. Hat's off to Blair for working hard, but imagine if this work were put in a year or two earlier. Scares me when there are guys that work extra hard in contract years with regards to paying them.

TDMVPDPOY
09-24-2012, 09:17 PM
avoid at all costs...

Ice009
09-26-2012, 08:35 PM
DeJuan is in great shape. Surely the best shape of his Spurs career:
http://instagram.com/p/P8JCDSLq0U/
http://instagram.com/p/P9yq6gLq2j/

Hopefully, it will translate on the court. The key for him is to outplay Bonner.

Wow, just looked at these pics and I didn't expect to see DeJuan in such great shape.

Good effort from DeJuan. Just keep it up and don't slack off at any point DB.

racm
09-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Hope he plays well enough that Pop doesn't DNP him in the playoffs. He brings nasty on the court but gets bullied by opposing 4s and can't easily defend stretch 4s.

elemento
09-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Contract year is such a powerful force in the NBA

I just wonder how much better Dejuan could have been if he had this kind of work ethic from day 1.

Libri
10-05-2012, 10:34 PM

I just wonder how much better Dejuan could have been if he had this kind of work ethic from day 1.

He might have developed a jump shot.

Axegrinder
10-08-2012, 11:28 AM

It is..and it's a shame so many don't give 100% UNTIL a contract year. I had high hopes for him in year 1..then little to no improvement in subsequent years coupled with no discipline in just maintaining a decent playing weight dashed my hopes for him. Hopefully we will find a taker for him and get a REAL big to replace him.

ChuckD
10-10-2012, 07:37 AM

I think DeJuan has always had the work ethic. Pop doesn't start, or even play slackers. Anyone who's carried some extra weight can attest that the work is only half the battle of shedding the weight. The other half is just pushing away from the table. That's the part DeJuan has always struggled with. It has nothing to do with being lazy or not working hard.

monkeypunk
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
So, Blair plays his first minutes (in a long time) last night against Minny in what looked like an obvious showcase and I found this tidbit on PTR:

"Until Sean Marks came sat down to talk to him, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford seemed particularly interested in Lou Amundson's workout."

Link = http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/1/14/3873110/morning-rehash-invisible-blair-manu-down-and-duncan-can-swat-things

Could we see a Admundson / Blair swap? Guy seems dumb as a rock but he is def a hustle player, can get after it and is 6'9''.

Chinook
01-14-2013, 07:05 PM
It seems like Marks talked Buford out of it.

Bruno
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
^^ interesting.
Minny has some draft picks stacked. An Amundson + 2nd round pick for Blair sounds fine to me. If Minny doesn't want to give up a pick, I would rather trade Blair for nothing (if possible).

Or a bigger trade like Bonner+Blair+Neal for Williams+Amundson...

elemento
01-15-2013, 08:01 AM
^^ interesting.
Minny has some draft picks stacked. An Amundson + 2nd round pick for Blair sounds fine to me. If Minny doesn't want to give up a pick, I would rather trade Blair for nothing (if possible).

Love the 2nd trade. I've been calling a trade for Williams for a long time along with my mate chino.

Chinook
01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Love the 2nd trade. I've been calling a trade for Williams for a long time along with my mate chino.

Bruno is a long-standing member of the Church of Williams, maybe even its founder. Did you happen to see the Wolves game a couple of days ago? Williams looked good as a four, but he wasn't able to use his size and strength against Green when he played the three.

elemento
01-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Bruno is a long-standing member of the Church of Williams, maybe even its founder. Did you happen to see the Wolves game a couple of days ago? Williams looked good as a four, but he wasn't able to use his size and strength against Green when he played the three.

Yeah I saw that. I don't think he is a 3 and he will never be a 3 IMO. I wanted SA to get him to use him as a 4 (a stretch 4) replacing BonBon in that role. If Green can become a decent role player in our system, I have no doubt in my mind that Williams could be one as well. I don't think he will be a star or anything, but he has talent and in a good environment like ours, he could shine just like Danny.

Redshadows
01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Did Minny decide to give up Williams?

Redshadows
01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
^^ interesting.

Look like pop not ready to give up Neal.

Chinook
01-15-2013, 12:07 PM

While it's possible that Pop isn't willing to trade Neal, he hasn't done much to indicate that. Neal only has value of Pop plays him; no one wants a player that can't get off the his team's bench.

Bruno
01-15-2013, 01:45 PM

I'm not sure of that.

When you look at Spurs recent moves, they have made a commitment to a lot of guards. In July they signed Green for $11.3M, De Colo for $2.9M and Mills for $2.2M. In October they picked a $1.1M option on Joseph contract. I just don't see Spurs keeping all these guards. While it's possible they only trim that logjam next summer by not re-signing Neal, Ginobili or Mills (if he opts out), they could also unload a guard at the trade deadline. To me, Neal is the best candidate to be traded because he has a good trade value and doesn't really fit with Spurs roster.