03-08-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_malik_hairston.jpg

Malik Hairston | G
Born: Feb 23, 1987
Height: 6-6 / 1.98
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99.8 kg.
College: Oregon
Years Pro: 1

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/malik_hairston/index.html)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Kid should be playing, simple as that. Looks to have some defensive ability, and is better slashing than he was a year ago.

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 12:35 AM
It sucks to see him play limited minutes, because he's scared to screw up, for obvious reasons..his turnover tonight came with the shot clock running down and he didn't want to throw a stupid shot up(which he should have) so he forced a pass to Mason and turned it over..it happened to him last year too..

I want to see how he plays when he's getting consistent minutes, he always shows good flashes..he looked very good on both ends of the floor vs. Houston, he shut down Kevin Martin..

The FO obviously likes him if they guaranteed his contract despite not playing him, it would be nice if he got some early development time before next season..

MaNu4Tres
03-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Still don't understand why this guy doesn't get a real opportunity. He's the best perimeter defender on the team.

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 12:52 AM
It's just depressing seeing him go in for a last possession to get a stop (cold) or thrown into a game only to send a message to vets not getting the job done or bringing energy (like tonight), only to be yanked as soon as Pop feels he got his point across.

The fact that Pop thinks highly enough of him defensively to put him in the game, cold, to get a stop against the likes of a Nash, with the game on the line, but not enough to warrant minutes throughout the game at the expense of a Bogans or Mason ... well, it's pretty ridiculous. And to see people bitch or moan about what Malik is or isn't doing when he's never put in a real position to succeed (basketball's all about rhythm and timing; something Malik's never given the opportunity to garner), it's beyond frustrating.

I foolishly started to think Pop had turned a corner tonight for a split second there, with the early appearances of Malik and Ian, but I was quickly brought back to reality; if Malik and crew can't sniff the action after what happened in Houston ... I don't know how anyone could be optimistic for them to see significant floor time this year.

timtonymanu
03-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Wow this is early.

But yeah Malik SHOULD be part of the rotation next year. If the Spurs can't find a defensive wing, then they should experiment with Hairston. He has potential to be a good defensive player. He just needs the playing time.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Hairston>Jefferson/Mason

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 11:27 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_malik_hairston.jpg

It's sad . . .

Even when he's caught on film, in game-action, he can't help but immediately look to the bench to see if Pop's got the hook. :smokin

benefactor
03-11-2010, 08:39 AM
THC baby.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 01:30 PM
http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/133053_main.jpg

Bitch! You know what I want! Hahahahaha! I wanna talk to Hairston! Fly me to the moon like that bitch Alice Kramden! 'Cause it's hard being black and gifted! Sometimes I wanna throw it all down and get lifted!

THC: Get lifted with Hairston . . . :smokin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Benophobia never got off the ground, but I can see THC flying high... ;) :lol :smokin

exstatic
04-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Hairston has to be very careful. He could very well get "Mahinmi'd". He always looks like the NBA is too big a stage for him. Temple gets signed and immediately produces at the NBA level in games that the Spurs NEED to have. Gee gets signed, and produces at the NBA level for Washington. I like Malik's athleticism a lot, but damn, he's been on the roster most of the season, yet the Spurs feel the need for more wing/guard callups? I'd say he could lose his roster spot next year. Not that he will, but he could. It would help A LOT if he could just stick that fucking corner three ball like he does in the d-league.

benefactor
04-17-2010, 01:01 PM
It's time for him to take that next step in his development so that he can start looking more like a rotation player...and perhaps a little healthy competition can help push him to that place. Besides other players pushing him, he needs to spend the summer continuing to work on his ball handling and taking several thousand jumpers.

HarlemHeat37
04-17-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't think it's entirely about being "overwhelmed"..I agree that Hairston should be more aggressive when he's on the floor, a lot of the time he's scared to screw up, so I guess that's correct, but he still has a serious flaw in his game, which is his ballhandling..

His shooting doesn't worry me too much, he can make it(although he obviously does have to show it at the NBA level), but his ballhandling does severely limit him..he has a great NBA body and great NBA athleticism that helps him finish at the rim and get over the defenders, but his ballhandling holds him back from doing it against better competition on a consistent basis..with that being said, he has significantly improved all of the previous flaws in his game, so we'll see how he responds in the Summer..

Temple is definitely more confident and he's currently a better player..Temple doesn't have much potential though IMO..I don't think he's going to get much better than he currently is..he was never too highly rated, his athleticism is alright and he's already polished and fundamental..obviously he could still fix some parts of his game with the right coaching and more experience, but I don't see what a lot of others see for the future(too early to judge though)..

Hairston is similar to Ian in the way that they're both still very raw, although Hairston might be a little more advanced..the Spurs should continue investing in him, he still has a lot of potential and he's already made it far in changing his game from a PF to an NBA wing..it'll depend on the Spurs patience with raw talent, something that the fans here are usually split on..

Using Gee is kind of a bad example IMO..you're comparing a guy playing on one of the worst teams in the NBA where he has no responsibility at all to a guy playing for the Spurs..there are numerous players in the NBA right now that were severely outplayed by Hairston in SL and pre-season that are making an impact on bad teams, it's obviously much different when there's little pressure for you to play..even with that being said, Hairston has usually produced when he's been on the floor with the Spurs, despite his poor ballhandling and inconsistent shooting..

Blackjack
04-17-2010, 03:06 PM
IMO, overwhelmed's got little to nothing to do with Hairston's inability come in and contribute the way Temple's done immediately. It's about skill set, where they are in terms of that skill set as it pertains to this system and the thing that's really been detrimental to Malik is one thing: certainty.

Take the comments from Manu for example:

“It’s about maturity and confidence. The fact that he knows he’s going to play 40 minutes now, it really changes your head,” Ginobili said. “If you screw up a couple times, you know you’re going to have another chance, so you play more freely–that’s when it turned for me.”

Now Hairston isn't Hill and the thought of him being afforded the same latitude isn't reasonable, but it's relative: knowing your role, how your game fits with a team and having the confidence to play without the fear of making mistakes (having the confidence and trust of the coach), that's what creates the conditions for a young player to develop and thrive.

Confidence is a funny thing. Early success can lead to a player or team looking like a seamless fit or a well-oiled machine but if you get off to a bad start, or just fail to come through right off the bat, it's pretty common to see players and teams begin to press; it's all between the ears.

Like I've said before, I'm not certain Hairston's the right fit for this team and the role he'd likley be asked to assume (if that role's to be the 'Centerpiece'). I'm certain that he could contribute and be a really nice utility player to have on the bench, someone you could bust out when matchups dictate, but anything more on this team depends on his continued progress and the faith the Spurs have in him moving forward.

Should he be afforded the opportunity Bogans was this year next year ... I have a hard time believing he won't come through (and I'll readily admit my bias). His ballhandling may be shaky and something he's definitely going to need to improve to get to the next level, but it's not the huge concern for me that is for some here; not in this system, anyway (see: Bowen).

Bruno
04-17-2010, 03:29 PM
The problem with Hairston is that he has plateaued lately. He is playing with good energy but he needs to show more things than that.

Hairston won't also be D-League eligible for the next season and it could hurt his chance to stay with Spurs. If he doesn't show more than Gee and Temple, Spurs will stick with them because they can still grow with the Toros. If Spurs draft a SF with their first round pick, it will also make the situation more complicate for Hairston.

dbestpro
06-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Hairston is a small forward. He's who should be their 'Centerpiece' this year and he should be able to eclipse his predecessor if given the opportunity.

I agree with everything you said except I do not believe that Hairston will beat out Gee. His perimeter game is just not good enough and while his defensive effort is comendable he is just not big enough for the SF slot when our current bigs are so small. I do not expect him to even make the team in 2010-2011. If he does, he will take one of the slots for the new guy to hate as he clangs his shot or starts to pass up open shots cause he knows he is gonna miss.

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
You sure seem pretty convinced Hairston can't shoot. Why, I'm not sure; it's not like the guy's been given the opportunities to suggest he can't when you consider he shot 40% from the three when he played consistent minutes with the Toros and he finished up his career at Oregon being a very solid shooter.

Many a fan and analyst were saying the same thing about Afflalo after his first year. And he was seeing decent playing time. Now the guy's among the league-leaders in three-point percentage. Malik can shoot. If he's given the latitude to make mistakes and find a rhythm with consistent playing time, I'm optimistic he'll make you a believer.

yavozerb
06-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I agree with everything you said except I do not believe that Hairston will beat out Gee. His perimeter game is just not good enough and while his defensive effort is comendable he is just not big enough for the SF slot when our current bigs are so small. I do not expect him to even make the team in 2010-2011. If he does, he will take one of the slots for the new guy to hate as he clangs his shot or starts to pass up open shots cause he knows he is gonna miss.

You sure seem pretty convinced Hairston can't shoot. Why, I'm not sure; it's not like the guy's been given the opportunities to suggest he can't when you consider he shot 40% from the three when he played consistent minutes with the Toros and he finished up his career at Oregon being a very solid shooter.

Many a fan and analyst were saying the same thing about Afflalo after his first year. And he was seeing decent playing time. Now the guy's among the league-leaders in three-point percentage. Malik can shoot. If he's given the latitude to make mistakes and find a rhythm with consistent playing time, I'm optimistic he'll make you a believer.

Dont wanna keep this going in this thread but both guys are not known for there outside shooting. I believe only 1 will make the roster since they are mirror images of each other. Whoever works on there outside shooting this summer will make the roster, as simple as that.

admiralsnackbar
06-11-2010, 12:39 PM
My only real beef with Hairston is his handles. I'm amazed he's been able to get as far as he has with such rickety, wooden dribbling.

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Dont wanna keep this going in this thread but both guys are not known for there outside shooting. I believe only 1 will make the roster since they are mirror images of each other. Whoever works on there outside shooting this summer will make the roster, as simple as that.

Hairston and Gee are not mirror images of each other. Neither is what you'd consider a marksman but Hairston does have a track record of being a competent and even solid shooter. He's a versatile defender with a unique way of playing much bigger that his stature would allude, which allows him to alter and block shots and be a help on the glass, and he also possesses a quality basketball acumen -- he's got good vision and he's a quality passer from the swing. The key for him to put it all together is the improvement of his handle, which would allow him to utilize his vision off the dribble more and create for himself without a rotating, recovering defense. If the ballhandling keeps improving, and it improves enough for this upcoming year, he's got a chance to be a Spur for a long time.

Gee is a little bigger, probably a legit 6-5 and he's an offensive player; a slasher. He looks the more prototypical 2-guard when you consider his build and athleticism but he's yet to transfer it to the defensive end. He and Hairston both share the ability to get to the line by utilizing their strength and athleticism but Gee is better off the bounce at this stage. He's an intriguing specimen that could seemingly do a lot of good for a team, put fouls on a opposition, put points on the board, rebound and defend at a quality level, but the defense has never been something he's ever really excelled at and there have been plenty of great athletes that never managed to. He's a quality player to have in camp and brings a lot of potential for a D-League prospect but he's going to have to show a lot more to the Spurs than the ability to score to stick and contribute. If he's able to display some solid-to-impressive D and a good energy on the court and attitude in the locker room, he just might be able to land himself a gig.

My only real beef with Hairston is his handles. I'm amazed he's been able to get as far as he has with such rickety, wooden dribbling.

If he's playing off the ball as a spot-up shooter and slasher for the rotating defense, attacking the seams with straight-line drives, his handle is plenty adequate; which is exactly what the Spurs would be asking him to do (and that Bowen guy managed to get by in the Spurs' offense).

Bruno
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree with yavozerb on this one. Gee and Hairston are quite similar players, they will fight for a roster spot and Gee has a lot of chances to win this battle.

Gee being mainly an offensive player is also part false. It was maybe true in the D-League but not in the NBA. When he was with Wizards, Gee did a good job at defending stars like Melo.

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 04:01 PM
So far he's been an offensive player that's shown a few glimpses of defensive potential. And I'm just going to have to disagree that they're quite similar players when you really break down their respective games and how each attacks both ends of the floor.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone who holds that view from what they've seen from Hairston in his limited time on the floor offensively with the Spurs, but I'd argue you haven't seen what he's capable of doing just yet. Most are assuming the guy can't spread the court with the three-ball, which would muddy the waters between he and Gee, but I just don't believe it to be the case. You don't improve each year from the college three to become a solid three-point shooter and shoot over 40-percent from the NBA 3 with the Toros and forget how to shoot.

He needs the latitude the likes of an inferior player and shooter Bogans had. If he can't get it done then, I'll humbly eat my words.

Bruno
06-11-2010, 04:46 PM
^ Tolliver was a great shooter in SL and with Toros but sucked with Spurs. Bonner is a great RS shooter but sucked in playoffs.

You have to look what happened with Gee:
First stage: Spurs weren't that high on him, they let him go to Wizards.
Second stage: Gee produced with Wizards and Spurs decided to invest $500K to steal him from them.

What happens in Washington really change Spurs mind about Gee. When he got an opportunity in the NBA he takes it and produced. One can argue it's easier to take this opportunity with Wizards than Spurs but players like Temple or Mahinmi proved that it was also possible to do it in SA.

And Gee and Hairston are close players. Both are 6'6" SG/SF with good athleticism, poor ball handling and whose main strength on the offensive end it to attack the rim.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Gee improved his man D quite a bit during the D-League season, perhaps because he was so awful to begin with. He even got a couple of Hairston-like blocks late.

TD 21
06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm with Blackjack on Hairston's ball handling. While it obviously needs to improve some, I'm not overly concerned with it considering the role he'll play on this team. The shooting, however, I am. Unless his defense is at the level of T. Allen's on Bryant in the finals, to where you can overlook the fact that the guy is a sub par shooter (not to say Hairston's as bad a range shooter as T. Allen), he has to shoot at or awfully close to mid-thirties from three to justify his playing time.

This team already lacks three-point shooting. They can't afford to have another guy on the perimeter who's in the high twenties or low thirties from three.

I remember in summer league last year how well Hairston shot the ball from range, though. Granted, so did Tolliver once upon a time, but still, that's never a bad thing. I think he can shoot around mid-thirties from three and if he can, then he'll probably not only make this team but crack the rotation. If he improves enough as a range shooter, he could become similar to Mo Evans.

I also agree with Blackjack that knockdown three-point shooting is going to have to come via either free agency (most likely) or trade. Short of a guy like Henry or Babbitt falling to twenty, they can't rely on an inexperienced, unproven player to provide that.

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 05:14 PM
First off, good move and thanks. I didn't want that thread to get hijacked and off the topic. :tu

Secondly, I wasn't arguing the Spurs' interest in the players. My fandom and opinion of Hairston I'm sure is well known by now but I'm not insinuating that the actions of the Spurs or the individual circumstances are favored one way or the other. I've tended to believe that Hairston's future on the team was pretty promising from all I had heard -- from players and coaches alike -- and from the belief I have in him as a player. But I'm fully aware of the numbers Sham revealed recently and the facts that led to Gee's re-acquisition.

But if you're going to compare Hairston and Gee solely on a lack of a handle and on their strength of attacking the rim, I'm just going to have to disagree. Yes, they do share that in common, but there's another end of the court and that's not all Hairston is and can do.

I'm much more knowledgeable about Hairston than Gee, so I can't say with complete certainty what kind of intangibles or intelligence Gee has for the game, but I do know Malik isn't lacking in those categories. And Hairston didn't just have a hot-shooting Summer League or shoot well with the Toros after never being known to hit a shot (Tolliver was a post player making the conversion to a stretch 4), he showed a steady progression in his shooting at Oregon, finishing with percentages of 42 and 43-percent from the three in his final years.

It may turn out that Malik just isn't the right type of player for the role they need him to assume and his skills would be served better in a different system; Temple and Mahinmi excelled because they 'fit'. Their skill set and placement (areas of operation) on the floor was a pretty easy mesh. But there's a good possibility Hairston could be an approximation of Tony Allen with a jumper if given the time and trust to go out there, get a rhythm and find a way to make it work (or for the coaching staff to find a way to utilize him and make it work with a tweak or two -- should they deem him someone they believe they'd be well-served in keeping around).

Bruno
06-11-2010, 05:44 PM
^

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2010/03/flip-saunders-new-offense-wizards-jazz-pre-game.html

Flip [Saunders] was also asked about Alonzo Gee, whom the Wizards intend on keeping for the rest of the season. Here are two of his more interesting points:

* “He has been thrust into a situation where he’s had to play against [guard Gerald Wallace, Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony] and he has not once backed down.”
* Flip called Gee “kind of a two-and-a-half” in terms of position, saying he’s not really a true three, but not really a true two because of his ball handling.

I'm sure if we change Gee with Hairston, these are sentences you could have said.

Do you really think than Gee and Hairston are so different that Pop will say to himself "they are so different that it's interesting to keep both because they bring different qualities on the table that could be used in different situations" ?

dbestpro
06-11-2010, 06:55 PM
He has been thrust into a situation where he’s had to play against [guard Gerald Wallace, Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony] and he has not once backed down.”

Maybe in the end, this is the difference. Hairston and Gee may bring the exact same thing to the table, but it seems that Hairston backs off offensively when thrust into big game situations.

HarlemHeat37
06-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I agree about Hairston backing off offensively, I'm a fan, as many know, but his lack of aggressiveness offensively does bother me..he doesn't have that problem on the boards or defensively, but he's still scared to make mistakes offensively, which is a killer at the NBA-level..he seems to lack confidence with his shooting at the NBA-level, pretty much the complete opposite of his D-league/Summer League/Preseason play..

As for arguing about Hairston vs. Gee, it's pretty much completely pointless at this point..the Spurs intentions will be known when we see what kind of moves they make in the Draft and FA, then we'll have Summer League and preseason to enjoy the battles between guys like Hairston, Gee, Temple and any other rookies..comparing them at this point in time won't really settle or prove any arguments..

Hopefully a Hairston and Gee type is good enough to make the team so we no longer have to deal with the Bogans types..

E-RockWill
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Word in Austin was that Alonzo Gee could score 25 w/o even trying.......

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm sure if we change Gee with Hairston, these are sentences you could have said.

Do you really think than Gee and Hairston are so different that Pop will say to himself "they are so different that it's interesting to keep both because they bring different qualities on the table that could be used in different situations" ?

As for arguing about Hairston vs. Gee

That's the thing I've obviously failed to frame or you've just misunderstood. I haven't once said that the Spurs would or should choose one over the other. In fact, I wasn't even arguing Hairston v Gee as it pertains to making the team; I actually stated that between the contract and Spurs interest, Gee might actually have a leg up.

What I did take exception to was the notion that they were the same player or that there was little-to-no differentiation in terms of their actual games. It had nothing to do with saying one was significantly better or that I thought Hairston was an easy choice over Gee. Just because two players are noted slashers doesn't make them the same player: one might be a two-footed leaper the other a single; they might attack the seams differently; they may be more effective from different sides of the floor; one might finish at the rim, draw fouls and convert at the line better; and one might even actually have a three-point shot to augment the drive. That's what I was getting at and I do believe there's a differentiation. The same goes for the defensive end; you wouldn't say Bowen, Christie, Sefolosha, Ariza or a perimieter player of similar size is the same because they're noted perimeter defenders. Each one goes about it in a different way even if the results are comparable; but each player's strength and weaknesses translate and relate to the team differently.

If Hairston makes the team over Gee, if we're to assume it's one or the other, it'll be because of his three-point shot, corporate knowledge and defensive ability. Simple as that. If Gee's going to make the team over Hairston, it'll be because they either didn't see enough separation to fork out the extra money for Malik; Gee's strength is just significantly stronger than Hairston's and he's comparable everywhere else; or they just see more light at the end of the tunnel with him that they believe he's the wiser investment.

I agree about Hairston backing off offensively, I'm a fan, as many know, but his lack of aggressiveness offensively does bother me..

I honestly believe it all goes back to his handle. Hairston ain't scared of competition or the opposition, but his ballhandling can completely take him out of the game at the NBA level; it wasn't nearly the problem in college and against weaker opposition. But the fact that he's been susceptible to the turnover and worried about making mistakes because of a lack of opportunities and playing time, he's just been unable to get comfortable and find a feel for when to drive, when to shoot, and when to create off the dribble. If he can become a solid-to-decent ballhandler at the NBA level, I firmly believe the whole thing will click for him. You'll see the intuitive feel and vision he has for the game and the passiveness, or what I believe to be, uncertainty, will be a thing of the past. But it's an 'if' and a rather big 'if' whether he'll improve enough to be what he's capable of being or just basically what he is: borderline rotation to situational, end-of-bench or suit-worthy.

Biggems
06-12-2010, 02:49 AM
i want him on the team, but if he isnt going to get any playing time, id rather trade him for a 2nd round pick....if at all possible (which we probably have zero chance of it)......

Bruno
06-12-2010, 05:44 AM
That's the thing I've obviously failed to frame or you've just misunderstood. I haven't once said that the Spurs would or should choose one over the other.

I know that you aren't comparing them but I am.

To me, Hairston and Gee are similar players who will will play the same role for Spurs. I think they will fight for a roster spot and the only way both stick as a Spurs is they are really great during training camp.

I also think Gee will be the one who will win this battle for 3 reasons:
- He is cheaper to keep.
- He is still D-League eligible.
- The development curve. Gee has shown a lot of improvement during this year. He showed nothing in SL, worked on his game in D-League (for example he added a 3 point shot to his game) and had a great stint in NBA. On the other hand, Hairston has stagnated after a great training camp.

I also see Spurs going hard after Gee and spending $500K on him as a sign that they have some doubts about Hairston.

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 08:24 AM
I know that you aren't comparing them but I am.

To me, Hairston and Gee are similar players who will will play the same role for Spurs. I think they will fight for a roster spot and the only way both stick as a Spurs is they are really great during training camp.

I think they will both fight for a spot on the active roster in training camp and preseason along with whoever the#20 pick in the draft may be.

I honestly believe both of the players and Temple will make the team for some of these reasons:

- They all have showed they are able to contribute on the NBA level.

- They all have improved their game significantly over the past year. (Not just Gee.) Meaning there's most likely still more untapped potential that will be tapped possibly this year or next.

- Gee and Temple are cheaper than signing veterans for the minimum to fill out this upcoming year's roster. Hairston would cost the same.- Credit to Mel

- The drop-off between their talent level and veterans to be signed for the minimum is minuscule (if there is a drop-off; some may even think they are better than most of the veterans available for the minimum; including myself :hat.)

- Temple and Gee can still play in some games Austin next year, if they aren't one of the best 12 guys on the roster. (Still great, cheap insurance options with a lot of upside, if any injury(ies) occur.)

Also, let me make note that the Spurs only having 7 players under guaranteed contracts going into next year. After the assumed signing of Splitter and a 5th big (via draft or free agency (Mahinmi)? ) the roster will be at 10, leaving 5 spots on the roster for the taking.

If Gee, Hairston and Temple keep building on their game through the summer and summer league, then the Spurs might not even add a veteran wing for the minimum. Meaning two of them would have a good chance on the active roster.

If the Spurs do add a veteran wing for the minimum, that will stretch the roster to 11. Leaving 4 spots open. I know most people seem to believe Spurs won't carry more than 13 guys due to financial reasons. But I have a hard time buying that for different reasons.

For one, teams have to prepare their roster in case of injuries because of how often they do happen ( I can't remember a year where Spurs had everyone healthy for 82 games). I would think the F.O would come to a consensus to which they'd rather have Gee, Temple and Hairston as options instead of having to sign players of less ability on the spot when the injuries do happen. ( Especially when these new players would be light years behind where Hairston, Gee or Temple would be, in regards to "corporate knowledge" and talent level.)

Secondly, it's vital for the Spurs to keep developing young talent, as Duncan and Manu are going to be gone soon. Having roster spots available and used for valuable developing young talent will help bridge this ending era and the post-Duncan/Ginobili era more smoothly. I think they will use the 11-15 spots on young players for the future. IMO

I see the Spurs holding on to all three, unless one player just regresses significantly ( which I don't see happening with them being in San Antonio working out already.)

I also see Spurs going hard after Gee and spending $500K on him as a sign that they have some doubts about Hairston.

I doubt that, I think they went after Gee because they saw a very talented player that has the ability to be a cheap option with a lot of upside to not only fill out the roster,( Since they only have 7 players on guaranteed deals going into next year) but also to be a possible piece of the Spurs' future as well.

I don't think it had anything to do with them having doubts about Hairston.

Mel_13
06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
- They all are cheaper options than signing veterans for the minimum to fill out this upcoming year's roster.

- They signed their non-guaranteed contracts which last til the summer of 2012. Even in the 11'/12' season, their salary will be a cheaper than a veteran minimum signing to fill out the roster.

A couple of small corrections;

1. Malik will cost the same as a vet min player as he is a third year NBA player with no guaranteed money. The savings associated with Gee and Temple largely come from the guaranteed portions of their salaries plus the associated tax. The increased cost of a vet min player over Gee or Temple would be 92K plus the amount of guaranteed salary earned (plus tax) by the date the player is waived.

2. All three of them will be free agents after the 2010-11 season. The figures you see for 11-12 on a site like sham are the values of the qualifying offer the Spurs will be able to tender to make any one of these players a restricted FA, but they will all be FAs next summer.

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 08:58 AM
A couple of small corrections;

1. Malik will cost the same as a vet min player as he is a third year NBA player with no guaranteed money. The savings associated with Gee and Temple largely come from the guaranteed portions of their salaries plus the associated tax. The increased cost of a vet min player over Gee or Temple would be 92K plus the amount of guaranteed salary earned (plus tax) by the date the player is waived.

2. All three of them will be free agents after the 2010-11 season. The figures you see for 11-12 on a site like sham are the values of the qualifying offer the Spurs will be able to tender to make any one of these players a restricted FA, but they will all be FAs next summer.

Thanks Mel.

My mistake, to clarify I still would rather pay Hairston, who has more upside for the future instead of a veteran(plug-in) for the minimum.

And I see those figures now for 2011/2012. Thanks for the clarification.

The corrections still don't change my opinion on all 3 sticking, because of the other reasons above.

Mel_13
06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks Mel.

My mistake, to clarify I still would rather pay Hairston, who has more upside for the future instead of a veteran(plug-in) for the minimum.

And I see those figures now for 2011/2012. Thanks for the clarification.

The corrections still don't change my opinion on all 3 sticking, because of the other reasons above.

:tu

I'd also like to see all three stick. Temple plus at least one of Malik/Gee seems likely.

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Temple plus at least one of Malik/Gee seems likely.

Fair enough... Just out of curiousity ...What route do u see the Spurs going in regards of the 10/11-15 spots on the roster ?..and what leads you to believe it's a one or the other situation w/ hairston and gee?

Bruno
06-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I think they will both fight for a spot on the active roster in training camp and preseason along with whoever the#20 pick in the draft may be.

Agree but I also think there is no point in keeping Hairston if he isn't on the active roster. Either he is good enough to make the 12 players roster or he should be waived.

Hairston on the inactive roster is dead weight. He isn't D-League eligible so Spurs won't be able to work with him. He also isn't a proven vet who can step up in an emergency situation.

Spurs' active roster will have 7 perimeter players. 4 (Parker, hill, Ginobili and Jefferson) are a lock. I'm also quite sure Spurs will sign a vet shooter. At the end, there are 2 active roster spots remaining for Hairston, Gee, Temple and the #20 pick (if Spurs don't go with a big man).

Mel_13
06-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Fair enough... Just out of curiousity ...What route do u see the Spurs going in regards of the 10/11-15 spots on the roster ?..and what leads you to believe it's a one or the other situation w/ hairston and gee?

Well, I did say at least one of Malik/Gee. It could be both, but in general I'm persuaded by the case put forth by Bruno on this subject.

For the rest of it, let's wait until after the draft and the Splitter decision.

Chieflion
06-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I think the Spurs choose that Gee stays on the roster, if one has to go. But Pop looks that he trusted Malik more later in last season and he gave him some utility minutes to see what he can do. I think that probably affects the decision-making as well. What Bruno said is true as well, that the Spurs couldn't send Malik down to the D-League, but Gee and Temple can be sent down. I think that if the Spurs could not sign any other veterans for the minimum, they will keep both Gee and Hairston, which may be the best case scenario for Hairston and Gee, and for the Spurs' outlook in a year or two's time.

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Agree but I also think there is no point in keeping Hairston if he isn't on the active roster. Either he is good enough to make the 12 players roster or he should be waived.

Hairston on the inactive roster is dead weight. He isn't D-League eligible so Spurs won't be able to work with him. He also isn't a proven vet who can step up in an emergency situation.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I don't think Hairston on the inactive roster is dead weight. He's a young player that has proved he has the ability to contribute in the NBA, even if it's from an ample amount of opportunity compared to a full 82 game season.

IMO Hairston has value for this upcoming season even if he's on the inactive roster(worst case scenario), for the fact that he's still quality and cheap insurance for when an injury occurs. And he is still improving, his work-ethic was evident in his first full summer under the Spurs when R.C was quoted saying that " Hairston is the most improved player they’d ever seen coming from the D-League.” .

The Spurs will have seasons past this upcoming year, which is why I believe a young 23 year old with the skill-set of Hairston still has value for the Spurs in the big picture.

Now if he was a 30 year old vet then I'd agree that him on the inactive roster would just be dead weight because he wouldn't really have any value in the grand scheme of things.

ChuckD
06-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Hairston's "improving" comes to a dead stop if he isn't active or in Austin, which is ruled out from now on. I agree with the "dead weight" view of Hairston as an inactive roster spot. I also don't see the Spurs carrying the full 15 next year. They must carry 13, and I can see them maybe carrying one more first year player who is VERY cheap.

There's no "developing youngsters to cushion the post Duncan/Ginobili transition" because that absolutely positively CANNOT be cushioned. When they leave, the Spurs will trade Parker or whoever we get in trade for him, and crash hard. There's no avoiding it, and it's better to go all the way down and get that top 3 or top 5 pick than to hang around as a low lottery team led by Parker. It can take you a decade to rebuild if you do that.

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Hairston's "improving" comes to a dead stop if he isn't active or in Austin, which is ruled out from now on. I agree with the "dead weight" view of Hairston as an inactive roster spot. I also don't see the Spurs carrying the full 15 next year. They must carry 13, and I can see them maybe carrying one more first year player who is VERY cheap.

There's no "developing youngsters to cushion the post Duncan/Ginobili transition" because that absolutely positively CANNOT be cushioned. When they leave, the Spurs will trade Parker or whoever we get in trade for him, and crash hard. There's no avoiding it, and it's better to go all the way down and get that top 3 or top 5 pick than to hang around as a low lottery team led by Parker. It can take you a decade to rebuild if you do that.

All of which is your opinion.

I just have a different one..I'm allowed to have one right? :lol

What we do know is that after training camp and pre-season, the Spurs will have their roster and inactive roster in place. That is FACT and not an opinion.

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm really hoping they both make the team, but it will be dependent on Hairston's potential improvement in his shooting, and Gee's mentality as a two-way player..

Hairston's jump shooting is still terrible, but he did improve by 6% on his shot in his NBA time this year compared to last..he needs to make a big improvement this Summer, or at least just master the baselines like Bowen did(and like Hill has done)..

This is pretty much a necessity since the Spurs desperately need outside shooting..nothing else will be acceptable..

There aren't any available players that can come in and be a defensive stopper for the Spurs..their best option is internal growth and improvement..this is the route most NBA teams are taking right now in regards to their perimeter D..

Having both Hairston and Gee on the perimeter would give the Spurs 2 elite athletes that both have physical strength for their positions too..it's pretty much all dependent on their outside shooting though..I really hope they both improve and show a consistent jump shot, because I'm not interested in having a washed-up player like Raja Bell or Keith Bogans on the team, this is no longer a viable option in today's NBA, those guys can no longer keep up with the athleticism..

Mel_13
06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm really hoping they both make the team, but it will be dependent on Hairston's potential improvement in his shooting, and Gee's mentality as a two-way player..

Hairston's jump shooting is still terrible, but he did improve by 6% on his shot in his NBA time this year compared to last..he needs to make a big improvement this Summer, or at least just master the baselines like Bowen did(and like Hill has done)..

This is pretty much a necessity since the Spurs desperately need outside shooting..nothing else will be acceptable..

There aren't any available players that can come in and be a defensive stopper for the Spurs..their best option is internal growth and improvement..this is the route most NBA teams are taking right now in regards to their perimeter D..

Having both Hairston and Gee on the perimeter would give the Spurs 2 elite athletes that both have physical strength for their positions too..it's pretty much all dependent on their outside shooting though..I really hope they both improve and show a consistent jump shot, because I'm not interested in having a washed-up player like Raja Bell or Keith Bogans on the team, this is no longer a viable option in today's NBA, those guys can no longer keep up with the athleticism..

Amen..

Bruno
06-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Now if he was a 30 year old vet then I'd agree that him on the inactive roster would just be dead weight because he wouldn't really have any value in the grand scheme of things.

Disagree. I would take a 30 years old vet on the inactive list over Hairston.

There are two kind of players that make sense to spend the year on the inactive list:
- prospects who can become better after some work.
- a reliable vet who can be an insurance in case of an injury.

Hairston doesn't fit these categories. He can't be send to Austin so Spurs can't work with him. He also isn't experienced enough to be a reliable player who can step up at any time of the season including playoffs.

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Disagree. I would take a 30 years old vet on the inactive list over Hairston.

There are two kind of players that make sense to spend the year on the inactive list:
- prospects who can become better after some work.
- a reliable player who can be an insurance in case of an injury.

Hairston doesn't fit these categories. He can't be send to Austin so Spurs can't work with him. He also isn't experienced enough to be a reliable player who can step up at any time of the season including playoffs.

I couldn't disagree more.

We can agree to disagree on this issue... :tu

I really don't understand how you think Hairston can't improve anymore just because he can't go to Austin. During last year's pre-season, R.C was quoted saying he had never seen a player from the D-League improve as much as Hairston did in one summer.

IMO Players improve the most during the off-season or the summer. This is when they are able to put all the energy and effort into specific drills that target specific weaknesses. This time period for Hairston has started about a month ago and he still has another month to work on different areas before Summer League starts up, then he can put all the things he worked on to the test. After the Summer League he will have another two months to work whatever needs to be worked on. All this time is when a player improves, it is not during the course of a season.IMO

During the season, the player can't really work as hard on specific aspects because a lot of energy is put into games. In these games, players fine tune things they already have. In games is not the place to work on things they can't do. IMO

Also, during the year players who don't receive the majority of the playing time on the Spurs tend to put in a lot of work during practice and even on game day. Yeah Malik Hairston won't be able to play games against lesser competition in Austin, but that doesn't mean he can't get better.

A perfect example is George Hill. He didn't play in Austin in order to improve. He improved in the summer, when all of his energy and focus could be put into drills. Same with Hairston last year, it wasn't Austin.

And in my opinion Hairston is more reliable than most veterans available for the minimum. He has great tools to utilize on both ends, the only things that are suspect are his shooting ability and ball-handling. Although I don't think his shooting ability can be fairly assessed due to the limited opportunity he received last year.

Bruno
06-12-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't know why you are talking about off season. Spurs have to make about Hairston only at the end of training camp. Hairston has still a full summer to work on his game.

At the end of the training camp, Hairston would have spend 3 off-season and 2 full season with Spurs. I think it will be time to draw conclusions about him. Either he is good enough to make the active roster or it is time to give up on him. I don't see how spending a third season practicing with Spurs will significantly help him.

Hairston is at a crossroad of his career with Spurs. I'm quite pessimistic he will succeed but I can understand people disagreeing with that. What I have a harder time to understand is when you disagreed that Hairston is at a crossroad.

An inactive list player is someone who won't play for 2 months before playing one or few games. Even if Hairston has some qualities, I would trust way more an experienced vet in a playoff game than Hairston after several months without playing game.

ChuckD
06-12-2010, 03:11 PM
All of which is your opinion.

I just have a different one..I'm allowed to have one right? :lol

What we do know is that after training camp and pre-season, the Spurs will have their roster and inactive roster in place. That is FACT and not an opinion.

Absolutely. I'm just disagreeing with you and agreeing with the "dead weight" contingent.

If Hairston is smart, he's living at the practice facility this summer and bugging the team to play in any summer league in which they are participating. He needs every minute of exposure he can get to show his stuff.

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't know why you are talking about off season.

Because you are implying Hairston can't improve or work on his game anymore because he can't go to Austin. I was pointing out the time period where players really improve their game, not so much Austin.

At the end of the training camp, Hairston would have spend 3 off-season and 2 full season with Spurs. I think it will be time to draw conclusions about him. Either he is good enough to make the active roster or it is time to give up on him. I don't see how spending a third season practicing with Spurs will significantly help him.

At the end of training camp, Hairston would have spent 2 full off-seasons with the Spurs, where the Spurs had the time to accurately assess his game and target specific areas of weaknesses to work on. The Spurs officials don't really try to critique and change the players the first few months after they are drafted. Even if they do, they aren't as precise in their assessment since the kid is relatively an enigma to the NBA game right after he's drafted.

Hairston is at a crossroad of his career with Spurs. I'm quite pessimistic he will succeed but I can understand people disagreeing with that. What I have a harder time to understand is when you disagreed that Hairston is at a crossroad.

I understand your point, and I think Hairston is at a crossroads to a degree, but not so much as you are implying. That is because I believe the Spurs will use their 10/11-15 spots on players that can not only help now, but that have upside to possibly be a piece for the future as well. If Hairston hadn't shown progress in his first full summer last year with the Spurs, and if he was older and didn't have much upside like a Marcus Williams for instance, then I would agree. But that is not the case, the kid still has upside and improved significantly his only full summer under the Spurs' microscope. I'm obviously a little higher on Hairston than you. But that's why we people have opinions.

benefactor
06-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I wish I could share your optimism MaNu4Tres.

I've been on the Hairston band wagon since the beginning, but I am going to have to side with Bruno here to a degree. If Hairston isn't looking really close to being a bench player after camp and the preseason(date his contract becomes guaranteed?) the Spurs probably won't keep him. A lot of it will also depend on what type of player the Spurs draft. If they take a wing I can almost guarantee that one of Hairston/Gee/Temple is history...with the cards stacked pretty heavily against Hairston. After two seasons in the D-League/on the Spurs and two offseasons I think the Spurs are going to be ready for him to step in and contribute. Whether or not Hairston is ready will be the deciding factor.

wildbill2u
06-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Hairston has to be very careful. He could very well get "Mahinmi'd". He always looks like the NBA is too big a stage for him. Temple gets signed and immediately produces at the NBA level in games that the Spurs NEED to have. Gee gets signed, and produces at the NBA level for Washington. I like Malik's athleticism a lot, but damn, he's been on the roster most of the season, yet the Spurs feel the need for more wing/guard callups? I'd say he could lose his roster spot next year. Not that he will, but he could. It would help A LOT if he could just stick that fucking corner three ball like he does in the d-league.

Bowen made it as a defensive specialist because he could occasionally stick the 3.

No matter what he did in D League, Hairston better 'get it' or he's not gonna make it in the NBA>

Cane
06-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I agree that if Hairston doesn't have a jumpshot and an overall noticeable improvement that his NBA career, at least with the Spurs, is in jeopardy due to spacing (the Spurs absolutely need 3-point shooters). He's essentially a smaller Richard Jefferson except has a much worse touch. Still, I see the Spurs giving him his chances during the beginning of the season due to his experience in the system and his d-league ineligibility. It'll also be interesting to see who fulfills the Spurs SF rotation when RJ is likely traded in February.

Blackjack
06-12-2010, 03:45 PM
MaNu4Tres . . .

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/johnnydirdam/sirsmokealot.jpg

The THC is strong in that one. :tu

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I wish I could share your optimism MaNu4Tres.

I've been on the Hairston band wagon since the beginning, but I am going to have to side with Bruno here to a degree. If Hairston isn't looking really close to being a bench player after camp and the preseason(date his contract becomes guaranteed?) the Spurs probably won't keep him. A lot of it will also depend on what type of player the Spurs draft. If they take a wing I can almost guarantee that one of Hairston/Gee/Temple is history...with the cards stacked pretty heavily against Hairston. After two seasons in the D-League/on the Spurs and two offseasons I think the Spurs are going to be ready for him to step in and contribute. Whether or not Hairston is ready will be the deciding factor.

That's the thing, I think Hairston is already a bench player; if not for this team, (due to a congested back-court/wing scenario), then for another NBA team ( I thought he was a more productive player than Mason and Bogans last year; as crazy as that may sound). Yes he still needs to work on his outside shot and his ball-handling (to a lesser degree). But he is productive in other ways like Tony Allen is for the Celtics. Seeing Allen provide productive minutes for a championship team, makes me believe Hairston can be a productive player for the Spurs off the bench if given the opportunity, even if he doesn't shoot 35-40% from 3 or even if he doesn't have superior handles and creative offensive change of direction with the ball. I saw Hairston as a bench player already before the summer started. It's all about opportunity and guaranteed spots/minutes ahead of him.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said to a degree. I understand Bruno's point of view on the crossroads theory. I just don't think they will pull the plug on him if he continues to show improvement, which is likely given his first full summer with the Spurs a year ago.

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Hairston will get a chance with a different team either way IMO, if the Spurs don't keep him of course..the problem is that the Spurs system absolutely needs shooting as much or more than any system in the NBA, especially right now since it has become a problem here for the first time in years..

If Malik develops a 3-point shot over the Summer, I have no doubt that he will be on the team and will be in the rotation..he's already a good defender and a great rebounder for his position..the shot is obviously extremely important though, and that will obviously be the key for him..he better be spending hours in the gym EVERY DAY, working on his jump shot from now until the end of the Summer..

I agree that the draft will be very telling..

While it may sound strange, I really believe the development of Hairston and Gee is going to be an important aspect for the Spurs..they can no longer afford to play washed up veterans..

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Hairston will get a chance with a different team either way IMO, if the Spurs don't keep him of course..the problem is that the Spurs system absolutely needs shooting as much or more than any system in the NBA, especially right now since it has become a problem here for the first time in years..

If Malik develops a 3-point shot over the Summer, I have no doubt that he will be on the team and will be in the rotation..he's already a good defender and a great rebounder for his position..the shot is obviously extremely important though, and that will obviously be the key for him..he better be spending hours in the gym EVERY DAY, working on his jump shot from now until the end of the Summer..

I agree that the draft will be very telling..

While it may sound strange, I really believe the development of Hairston and Gee is going to be an important aspect for the Spurs..they can no longer afford to play washed up veterans..

No it does not, to me at least..:hat

I agree with everything you said here and I agree about the draft having an effect on the situation.

And I agree that Hairston will have a better chance on making the team if he improves his shooting and ball-handling. If he does, I'll go out even farther on the limb and say he will have an opportunity to start next year :wow. Yeah I said it....what now?

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
If the potential SF rookie/Hairston/Gee are good enough to make the team, it wouldn't be a stretch..the Spurs are better off with a defensive/athletic SG/SF starting as opposed to Jefferson, since he doesn't fit the starting lineup IMO..

Spurs need an Afflalo/Dudley type starting to compliment Parker and Ginobili/Parker and Hill IMO..Jefferson doesn't play D, he no longer has lateral quickness, and he doesn't spread the floor, so he needs to be a 6th man type IMO..

This is why I believe the development of these young players will be crucial to the Spurs success, as strange as it may sound..

TD 21
06-12-2010, 05:26 PM

I honestly believe both of the players and Temple will make the team for some of these reasons:

- They all have showed they are able to contribute on the NBA level.

- They all have improved their game significantly over the past year. (Not just Gee.) Meaning there's most likely still more untapped potential that will be tapped possibly this year or next.

- Gee and Temple are cheaper than signing veterans for the minimum to fill out this upcoming year's roster. Hairston would cost the same.- Credit to Mel

- The drop-off between their talent level and veterans to be signed for the minimum is minuscule (if there is a drop-off; some may even think they are better than most of the veterans available for the minimum; including myself :hat.)

- Temple and Gee can still play in some games Austin next year, if they aren't one of the best 12 guys on the roster. (Still great, cheap insurance options with a lot of upside, if any injury(ies) occur.)

Also, let me make note that the Spurs only having 7 players under guaranteed contracts going into next year. After the assumed signing of Splitter and a 5th big (via draft or free agency (Mahinmi)? ) the roster will be at 10, leaving 5 spots on the roster for the taking.

If Gee, Hairston and Temple keep building on their game through the summer and summer league, then the Spurs might not even add a veteran wing for the minimum. Meaning two of them would have a good chance on the active roster.

If the Spurs do add a veteran wing for the minimum, that will stretch the roster to 11. Leaving 4 spots open. I know most people seem to believe Spurs won't carry more than 13 guys due to financial reasons. But I have a hard time buying that for different reasons.

For one, teams have to prepare their roster in case of injuries because of how often they do happen ( I can't remember a year where Spurs had everyone healthy for 82 games). I would think the F.O would come to a consensus to which they'd rather have Gee, Temple and Hairston as options instead of having to sign players of less ability on the spot when the injuries do happen. ( Especially when these new players would be light years behind where Hairston, Gee or Temple would be, in regards to "corporate knowledge" and talent level.)

Secondly, it's vital for the Spurs to keep developing young talent, as Duncan and Manu are going to be gone soon. Having roster spots available and used for valuable developing young talent will help bridge this ending era and the post-Duncan/Ginobili era more smoothly. I think they will use the 11-15 spots on young players for the future. IMO

I see the Spurs holding on to all three, unless one player just regresses significantly ( which I don't see happening with them being in San Antonio working out already.)

I doubt that, I think they went after Gee because they saw a very talented player that has the ability to be a cheap option with a lot of upside to not only fill out the roster,( Since they only have 7 players on guaranteed deals going into next year) but also to be a possible piece of the Spurs' future as well.

I don't think it had anything to do with them having doubts about Hairston.

Excellent post.

I too expect Hairston, Gee and Temple to make the roster, but only Hairston to be active.

However, despite that I expect the Spurs to acquire (most likely via free agency, unless Henry, Babbitt or George are available at 20) a veteran wing who has a track record of being a 40% three-point shooter. In terms of the stopper role, I think Harlem's right in the sense that most teams are going younger, cheaper and more athletic in that area, so I could see the Spurs having Hairston filling that role. In essence, he'd replace Bogans. But that still leaves the matter of replacing Mason/Finley. If they can acquire a wing who's a knockdown three-point shooter and a solid defender, then that's obviously ideal, but the three-point shooting has to be the main attribute.

When it's all said and done, I think the Spurs break camp with 14.

The Truth #6
06-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Hard to say with Hairston. Now that he's the "veteran" of our up and coming wing projects, it would make sense that Pop would play him more than Temple or Gee, even if those two show to be better players.

I'm kidding...I think.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Kid should play lots of minutes early in the season so we can see whether he's developing what we need him to develop. I have hope that he can learn to shoot, and that's all he really needs because he's already a good slasher and works hard on D.

timtonymanu
07-30-2010, 04:14 AM

:depressed

Bruno
08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Some bad news about Hairston:
He has a back injury and still hasn't practiced with Siena. He will have medical test this Monday to see the extend of the injury. Siena has called back a player they had under contract (David Moss) to play his spot.
Siena is also claiming that he got the injury while playing with Spurs. It damn looks like they will try to void his contract by claiming he hide an injury when he signed with them.

Cane
08-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Definitely not a good situation. Didn't he have another injury this past season?

Bruno
08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Definitely not a good situation. Didn't he have another injury this past season?

He sprained his ankle at the end of the regular season.
One can wonder if the true reason, why he didn't play in SL, wasn't his back injury.

Cane
08-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Reasonable take...didn't make much sense for him not to be in the SL otherwise imo, thanks for the heads up Bruno :toast

mountainballer
08-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Siena has called back a player they had under contract (David Moss) to play his spot.

wasn't Moss with Bologna?

pretty bad news for Malik. Siena will for sure cancel his contract. (once it gets to the point that a team publically states claims a player has hid an injury, there is no way they will keep him).
Malik to Valencia? (only if the injury isn't that serious , this would make some sense, after Valencia canceled the contract with Winston)

Bruno
08-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Moss was under contract with Siena but they loaned him to Bologna. They also planed to loaned him this season but they called him back after Malik's injury.

SpursTillTheEnd
08-29-2010, 12:42 PM
thnk you jesus, come on spurs pick him back up

ChumpDumper
08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
At this rate, the Toros might be picking him back up.

DesignatedT
08-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Interesting. Could see him definitely coming back if this happens.

Blackjack
08-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Just needs some medicinal THC. :smokin

Seriously, hope he's healthy and I hope this team isn't screwing him over and has a legitimate contract dispute (in regards to when the injury took place) -- insult to injury would suck.

Would love to see him back with the Toros and have the opportunity to get called back up to the Spurs, but I'm just hoping he'll get healthy and find the right team to give him an opportunity to grow and prove himself -- and be well-compensated for it.

Bruno
08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Malik wasn't active in the playoffs because of an ankle injury, not a back injury. Not that Hairston would have played more than Ian did, but still.

I know that, see post #68.

HarlemHeat37
08-29-2010, 03:45 PM
The poster Trill Clinton reported when Blair got hurt in practice before SL, and he turned out to be correct, when nobody else knew about it(here or in the media)..around that time, this is what he said in regards to Hairston:

From what I understand the true reason Hairston didn't play in SL was due to him having real bad back spasms. Apparently they're so bad that the Spurs don't want to take on any risk so they stashed him overseas, similar with how they put Gist in the Russian league. He'll probably play there and come back after the season.

It looks like we have an inside here:lol..

Cane
08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow! :wow Keep posting Trill! :D

Bruno
08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Nice find HH and it's just great to get that kind of news from ST. Props to Trill Clinton.

When a player with a non-guaranteed contract is injured, his contract becomes guaranteed until he is healthy again. It was the reason why he hasn't played in SL. Spurs also likely told him that they won't take the risk to play him in training camp and that they will be waived him before it or sooner if he finds a job overseas.

Bruno
08-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Now is it common for overseas teams to talk to players that will be upcoming FAs or have non-guaranteed contacts? It's happened at least twice this season where players were released from their contracts and then signed overseas right after.

Most of the time, it's the player's agent who initiates talks with team in Europe and let them know the player will/could be available soon.

Blackjack
08-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Nice find HH and it's just great to get that kind of news from ST. Props to Trill Clinton.

When a player with a non-guaranteed contract is injured, his contract becomes guaranteed until he is healthy again. It was the reason why he hasn't played in SL. Spurs also likely told him that they won't take the risk to play him in training camp and that they will be waived him before it or sooner if he finds a job overseas.

I think that bold portion right there is exactly what Trill was alluding to. If he's correct, I don't think it goes any further than that.

While I've stated they're willing to be a taxpayer, I've only said so if it were for the right player(s). People they believed would put them back into legitimate contention. So if Hairston was having back issues (something the Spurs are extremely weary of) they may have felt it necessary to go with Gee since they'd only be able to keep 2 players and stay under the tax (Temple being the other).

Looking back, that would seem to make some sense why we heard how highly some of the coaches were on Hairston or "has a lot of fans" and why things played out the way they did: injury.

DesignatedT
08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
lol Trill. I remember people calling him Troll clinton :lol. Guy obviously knows somebody.

mountainballer
08-30-2010, 03:07 AM
some weeks ago I would have thought the insider is RMJ and his nick means Drill Clinton.....
(jezzz, what a lame joke. sorry.)

Bruno
08-30-2010, 06:55 AM
http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/detailNews.aspx?K=6472
Medical test have confirmed the back problem and Hairston's contract has been voided. Hairston wants to do the rehab in Siena and maybe he will re-sign a new contract with them when he will be healthy.

There are a lot of uncertainties with Hairston future. He could be back with Siena , they could sign him and loan him to a weakest team, he could sign somewhere else in Europe or he could even be back with the Toros at some point of the year.

mountainballer
08-30-2010, 07:23 AM
what hurts is that Malik would have sene a lot of top competition with Siena.
as I said before, would be great if he could end up with Valencia, would be a nice fall back.
(unlikely yes, why should Valencia sign an injured player, when they just released a player because of an injury)
or call Spahija in Istanbul? they could very well use an athletic player to back up Tomas and Kinsey.

Bruno
08-30-2010, 09:31 AM
A good interview/article about Malik:
http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/detailNews.aspx?K=6476

DesignatedT
08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
nice read

DrSteffo
08-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes interesting. Wish him the best.

Obstructed_View
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/detailNews.aspx?K=6472
Medical test have confirmed the back problem and Hairston's contract has been voided. Hairston wants to do the rehab in Siena and maybe he will re-sign a new contract with them when he will be healthy.

There are a lot of uncertainties with Hairston future. He could be back with Siena , they could sign him and loan him to a weakest team, he could sign somewhere else in Europe or he could even be back with the Toros at some point of the year.

I thought his eligibility was up.

A really tough situation for Hairston. It's looking pretty clear that the Spurs covered up his back injury trying to get him onto a European team. Obviously they think it's a serious enough injury that they were willing to just dump him off on someone else.

ChumpDumper
08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
I thought his eligibility was up.He could rejoin the Toros as a free agent. If his injury lingers into the season, I can see this happening.

angelbelow
08-30-2010, 11:27 PM
dang.. sucks for malik..

Bruno
09-06-2010, 08:19 AM
http://news.tuttobasket.net/News/leggi.php?id=238562

It looks like the rehab is going well and Malik could re-sign soon a contract with Siena. It's a good news for him, Siena is a great place to develop his game.

Solid D
09-06-2010, 09:15 AM
http://news.tuttobasket.net/News/leggi.php?id=238562

It looks like the rehab is going well and Malik could re-sign soon a contract with Siena. It's a good news for him, Siena is a great place to develop his game.

:tu Thanks for the update, Bruno!

Bruno
09-18-2010, 04:00 PM
http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/detailNews.aspx?K=6747

Malik has re-signed with Siena. Great news for him. :tu

benefactor
09-18-2010, 04:47 PM
:toast

Blackjack
09-18-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/detailNews.aspx?K=6747

Malik has re-signed with Siena. Great news for him. :tu

:elephant

I love me some Siena. :smokin

HarlemHeat37
10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
For the fans of this league, when is Hairston supposed to start playing?..

MaNu4Tres
10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
For the fans of this league, when is Hairston supposed to start playing?..

He's still out due to the back problems and probably won't be back for a while.

It's the same back problems that began to transpire over the summer.

Which probably was why Spurs sent him to Sienna (knowing they had to have less than 14-15 on the roster this season because of Holt and the investors wanting to be under the tax). That being said, I don't believe the Spurs could have afforded using a roster spot on a player that was going to be hurt most of the year (which is the case for Hairston). IMO

AussieFanKurt
10-15-2010, 09:50 PM
wish he was still on the roster

HarlemHeat37
10-15-2010, 10:17 PM
He's still out due to the back problems and probably won't be back for a while.

It's the same back problems that began to transpire over the summer.

Which probably was why Spurs sent him to Sienna (knowing they had to have less than 14-15 on the roster this season because of Holt and the investors wanting to be under the tax). That being said, I don't believe the Spurs could have afforded using a roster spot on a player that was going to be hurt most of the year (which is the case for Hairston). IMO

Pretty much..IMO, he's better than any of the other prospects on the roster(other than Anderson), it has been apparent during this preseason, but he's not good enough for the Spurs to hold a roster spot for him while he's healing from an injury that could have been serious..he's still an unproven player that needs work..

Trill Clinton's post about the "stashing" just confirmed it for me..he'll be back when he can to compete in preseason IMO, assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff..

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah, all the SF's that Spurs have (I am not counting Anderson) suck defensively. It would be nice to have Malik just for that.

ChuckD
10-15-2010, 11:32 PM
??? Malik wouldn't play, even if on the roster, and for the same reason as last year: He has no 3 point shot. When are you people going to figure that out? If you're going to play lead guard or wing on this team, you're going to have a 3 point shot, or you'll be sitting.

Example of players who don't play and people don't understand why not:
Malik Hairston - 3G% 18.2

Example of players who DO play and people don't understand why:
Keith Bogans - 3G% 35.7
Matt Bonner - 3G% 39

Jonesing for the Hairstons, Gists, and other assorted bad NBA 3 point shooting players is a zero sum game.

DesignatedT
10-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Anderson definitely has more upside than Malik or anyone else we have at that position. Lets hope he can evolve into what we need. It's pretty much our last hope of having a legit backup SF.

DPG21920
10-16-2010, 01:53 PM
??? Malik wouldn't play, even if on the roster, and for the same reason as last year: He has no 3 point shot. When are you people going to figure that out? If you're going to play lead guard or wing on this team, you're going to have a 3 point shot, or you'll be sitting.

Keith Bogans - 3G% 35.7
Matt Bonner - 3G% 39

Jonesing for the Hairstons, Gists, and other assorted bad NBA 3 point shooting players is a zero sum game.

RJ played.

Obstructed_View
10-16-2010, 01:59 PM

Keith Bogans - 3G% 35.7
Matt Bonner - 3G% 39

Hairston shot a better percentage from three point range in D league than Gary Neal did in Europe with a closer line. In addition, Hairston's simple rating from 82games was higher than Mason, Temple, Finley or Bogans (who was last on the team for the season).

erikuff
10-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Why is he still talked about?

Blackjack
10-16-2010, 11:03 PM
If ya have to ask you'll never know. :smokin

Obstructed_View
10-17-2010, 12:45 AM

Because people still act like there was a sensible reason for him not to play last year.

yavozerb
10-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Hairston shot a better percentage from three point range in D league than Gary Neal did in Europe with a closer line. In addition, Hairston's simple rating from 82games was higher than Mason, Temple, Finley or Bogans (who was last on the team for the season).

I know this thread is going to nowhere when the d-league stats start flying...:lol

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 08:50 AM
RJ played.

And people hated him!! He clogged the offense because his man didn't have to honor his shot last year.

He also made $15M and had shot as high as 40% in his NBA career.

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 08:51 AM

Because people still act like there was a sensible reason for him to play last year.

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 08:53 AM

Point one didn't translate into the NBA over the course of two seasons, and point two AND a cup of coffee still won't space the floor for our offense.

DPG21920
10-17-2010, 10:27 AM
And people hated him!! He clogged the offense because his man didn't have to honor his shot last year.

He also made $15M and had shot as high as 40% in his NBA career.

So you said people who don't hit 3's don't play. RJ didn't last year. He still played. He still got extended.

I don't care if RJ shot 40% once in his career, it obviously did not translate with the Spurs, just like Malik's great 3-PT shooting in the D-League.

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 11:19 AM
So you said people who don't hit 3's don't play. RJ didn't last year. He still played. He still got extended.

I don't care if RJ shot 40% once in his career, it obviously did not translate with the Spurs, just like Malik's great 3-PT shooting in the D-League.

I guess if you live in a world of absolutes, your theory holds water. TBH, though, Malik's 12% still makes RJ's off year look like Ray Allen. Malik also wasn't ever competing for the starting SF position, so your player comparison is invalid.

Of all the players who don't play in the paint, Malik was by far the poorest 3 point shooter. In fact, Tim Duncan matched him exactly, both shooting 2-11 on the year. Malik didn't play, because, of all the players competing for backup time, he shot the 3 pointer the worst on the team.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Point one didn't translate into the NBA over the course of two seasons, and point two AND a cup of coffee still won't space the floor for our offense.

That's the thinking that got Bogans the starting job. What a success that was. :lol

ace3g
01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a8/fullj.6bea17aba3e6023c4995120fd5d7f1bc/6bea17aba3e6023c4995120fd5d7f1bc-getty-basket-montepaschi_siena-efes_pilsen_-_euro.jpg
Malik Hairston(notes) (R) of Montepaschi Siena vies with Efes Pilsen's Igor Rakocevic (L) and Bootsy Thornton (C) during their Euro League top 16 at Sinan Erdem Arena in Istanbul, on January 19, 2011.

Bruno
03-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Some food news regarding Hairston: he is back at a great level. He plays more and more minutes and yesterday against Olympiacos, he had a monster games with 19 points and 11 rebounds. If he continue to play that well, some NBA teams should be quickly interested in him.

Summary + highlights of this game:
http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame/report?gamecode=176

20beastie45
03-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Some food news regarding Hairston: he is back at a great level. He plays more and more minutes and yesterday against Olympiacos, he had a monster games with 19 points and 11 rebounds. If he continue to play that well, some NBA teams should be quickly interested in him.

Summary + highlights of this game:
http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame/report?gamecode=176

Player Of The Game!!

LOL! Rasho

spursbird
03-25-2011, 06:40 AM
He's not anything special or anything at all, but I can say for sure that he is a hell of a lot better than Anderson, Green, Quinn are.
Anderson has more upside than Hairston. But yeah right now I'd prefer Hairston.

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Still really sucks that he got hurt..I can't blame the Spurs, because they couldn't have predicted that Anderson would get hurt and lose a potential spot in the rotation, too, but Malik would have been a nice defender to have on the perimeter..he'll probably be back with the Spurs next year or the year after IMO..

Good to see him healthy and playing well, though..it's a difficult transition..

ploto
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
I am sure you are well aware that only 2 days prior Malik did not play so well as Olympiacos beat Siena 89 to 41! Malik was 3/8 and had 10 points and 4 rebounds in that game. Nothing to get excited about. Yesterday, he played quite possibly the best game of his life!

timtonymanu
03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
He's not anything special or anything at all, but I can say for sure that he is a hell of a lot better than Anderson, Green, Quinn are.

Green and Quinn, yes. Anderson, no.

TheCerebral1
03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

See watching what I have of Anderson in college I beg to differ. Outside of JA, definitely over Green, Quinn and now Butler.

admiralsnackbar
03-26-2011, 02:12 PM
He is definitely better than Anderson is.

You are definitely high.

Definitely.

ChuckD
03-28-2011, 10:08 PM
He is definitely better than Anderson is.

No he's not. I know this because before JA got hurt, he was playing 17 minutes per game for Pop as a rookie.

admiralsnackbar
03-30-2011, 01:46 PM
And your point is? Anderson would not see the rotation of Siena at all.

You're absolutely right. Mostly he wouldn't have to scrounge for work abroad in the first place.

yavozerb
03-30-2011, 01:47 PM

:lmao:lmao

tuncaboylu
03-30-2011, 03:59 PM

But he can see the rotaion in Spurs.

Is Siena deeper?

yavozerb
03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Not a chance in hell would Anderson at his current level make the rotation of Siena. PERIOD.

# Name CM (INCH) Pos Bo NAT FR TO Former Team
34 Moss David 196 (6'5'') F 83 10 11 CS Bologna
11 Rakovic Milovan 208 (6'10'') C 85 10 11 Spartak SP
13 Kaukenas Rimantas 193 (6'4'') G 77 10 11 Real Madrid
12 Lavrinovic Ksistof 210 (6'11'') C 79 07 11 Unics
6 Zisis Nikolaos 195 (6'5'') G 83 09 11 CSKA
21 Aradori Pietro 192 (6'4'') G 88 10 11 Angelico BI
20 Stonerook Shaun 203 (6'8'') F/C 77 05 11 Bennet Cantu
19 Jaric Marko 198 (6'6'') G 78 11 11 Real Madrid
14 Ress Tomas 211 (6'11'') C/F 80 07 11 Trenkwalder
4 McCalebb Bo Lester 183 (6'0'') G 85 10 11 Partizan
7 Hairston Malik 198 (6'6'') G 87 10 11 San Antonio S. (NBA)
Akindele Jeleel 216 (7'1'') C 83 10 11 N.Novgorod
9 Carraretto Marco 196 (6'5'') G 77 06 11 Breogan
18 Severini Giovanni 194 (6'5'') F/G 93 09 11 Junior Team
Monaldi Diego 185 (6'1'') G 93 08 11 Junior Team
15 Michelori Andrea 202 (6'8'') F/C 78 10 11 Pepsi Caserta

:lmao, you are truly one of the best...thanks I needed that

Bruno
03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
After a very quiet game 3 (2 points), Hairston scored 25 points and ahd 7 rebound in game 4. :wow
Boxscore: http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=184

Siena has now eliminated Olympiacos 3-1 and advance to the final 4.

What Hairston do is damn impressive. He has been out for 6 months because of various injuries and is a rookie in Europe. It very unusual to see players like that having dominant performance at the highest level in Europe. Hairston should have a bright future whether it is in NBA or as a top player in Europe.

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Bruno, what's the contract situation with Malik?..are the Spurs unlikely to bring him back for Training Camp?(in your opinion, obviously)..

Bruno
03-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Bruno, what's the contract situation with Malik?..are the Spurs unlikely to bring him back for Training Camp?(in your opinion, obviously)..

He has signed a 2 years contract. I don't know if he has an opt out clause, with or without a buyout, after the first year.The possibility of a lockout won't help his return to the NBA.

I'm not sure it is in Spurs plan to try to sign him back. They still have 2 quality young SG/SF with James Anderson and Da'Sean Butler. Is signing Hairston for the 4th time wise?

In any case, if Malik wants to come back in the NBA, these games will hugely help him to do so. He should now be on the radar of some NBA teams.

ploto
03-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Kudos to Malik for the game he played today. Siena is the best defensive team in the Euroleague.

ChuckD
03-31-2011, 08:02 PM
bruno are you even a spurs fan you fag if so you would know hairston is a legit nba starter .... malik >>>>>>> rj

You must watch games by braille. Malik is your typical uber athlete without much game. NBA benches and the d-league are loaded with them

objective
04-01-2011, 02:46 AM
I would rather, and have been for a long long time, have Hairston over RJ.

Hell, give me any rookie or even d-league scrub over RJ. Danny Green, Alonzo Gee, James Anderson.

RJ isn't worth his minutes, let alone his contract.

Bruno
04-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Once Again, MVP:
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/84028/180

ata
04-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Once Again, MVP:
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/84028/180
Great game by him yesterday

yavozerb
04-01-2011, 08:37 AM
here you go guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO0sXFXKcIQ

DesignatedT
04-01-2011, 02:17 PM
lol unathletic white guys trying to guard him. It's like going against Bonner every time down the court.

Good for Malik though, I'd like to see him back in the Spurs program.

Chomag
04-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Glade to see Hairston's doing well, I wouldn't doubt he would be though as I have always been in his corner. I think he is taken for granted, and has the skills to be a good addition to an NBA team if he was just given a fair chance.

Would be awesome if he could get Bruce Bowen to tutor him since he has shown some very good defencive instincts

OF course I wish it was on the Spurs, but I would love to see him back on any team.

DPG21920
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
lol unathletic white guys trying to guard him. It's like going against Bonner every time down the court.

Good for Malik though, I'd like to see him back in the Spurs program.

:lmao You dogged him all the time. You kept giving me the "well if he was better than Gee, he would still be a Spur. He is not NBA material, you like scrubs....".

Anyone that could not see Malik's talent was crazy. While his shot struggled in the NBA (although every where else he has proven he can shoot), he got to the line and did everything else well.

While he has many faults and will never be a superstar, I have said and still believe he is a NBA level player. I don't think that is arguable.

DesignatedT
04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
:lmao You dogged him all the time. You kept giving me the "well if he was better than Gee, he would still be a Spur. He is not NBA material, you like scrubs....".

Anyone that could not see Malik's talent was crazy. While his shot struggled in the NBA (although every where else he has proven he can shoot), he got to the line and did everything else well.

While he has many faults and will never be a superstar, I have said and still believe he is a NBA level player. I don't think that is arguable.

I never dogged the guy. I was openly honest that I thought RJ was definitely a better choice for those claiming Malik was >>>> RJ and I was openly honest that I thought Gee was a better NBA prospect mainly because I thought he was already much more polished offensively and had the tools to be as good as Malik defensively (and the verdict is yet to be seen regarding that) but I never declared him a scrub and dogged him. I always rooted for Malik.

I still think that Anderson has more upside compared to Malik but I'm not dogging on Malik because I think that.

timtonymanu
04-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Great to hear. Hopefully he'll be back soon. IMO, he would be the best defender we could use right now.

DesignatedT
04-01-2011, 06:17 PM
crofl designated t your opinion is worthless yesterday you supported bonner > splitter :lol:lol

:lmao all over my cock once again, I think you just follow me around from thread to thread.

Chomag
04-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Someone correct me here though, I thought I remember that he left the Spurs on a bad note, or at least thats what I remember him saying in a interview afterwards. Anyone know about this?

ChuckD
04-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Someone correct me here though, I thought I remember that he left the Spurs on a bad note, or at least thats what I remember him saying in a interview afterwards. Anyone know about this?

Nah, IIRC he had some back problems, and was unlikely to make the roster anyway. I think he may have even asked for his release so he could seek work.

ChuckD
04-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Great to hear. Hopefully he'll be back soon. IMO, he would be the best defender we could use right now.

Danny Green harassed the shit out of Roy in the Portland game, and made me see why they like him.

Realistically, you don't play here as a wing/guard if you don't have a three pointer, and Green has already hit more in 5 games with the Spurs (3-6) than Malik did in 62 games (2-12). I think the Spurs have moved on from Malik.

ChumpDumper
04-02-2011, 02:14 PM
He's playing on NBAtv right now.

spursbird
04-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Danny Green harassed the shit out of Roy in the Portland game, and made me see why they like him.

Realistically, you don't play here as a wing/guard if you don't have a three pointer, and Green has already hit more in 5 games with the Spurs (3-6) than Malik did in 62 games (2-12). I think the Spurs have moved on from Malik.
Enough 3pt shooters on the roster. Too much 3pt shooting=no championship.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Enough 3pt shooters on the roster. Too much 3pt shooting=no championship.

Your opinion is noted. It's also irrelevant to the way the Spurs build their roster.

spursbird
04-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Your opinion is noted. It's also irrelevant to the way the Spurs build their roster.
So what's wrong with my opinion?

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2011, 01:46 AM
So what's wrong with my opinion?

Your opinion is certainly more relevant than ChuckD's, tbh..

ChuckD
04-04-2011, 07:42 PM
None of our opinions matter. That's the point. If you're doing roster/player predictions, there's only one opinion that matters: Pop's. He puts together rosters full of three point shooters. You can scream and rant and be mad as hell, but any real roster/player projections should be made with that fact in mind.

jag
04-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Does Malik have a twitter account?

Mel_13
04-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Video clip about about Malik and Marco Jaric and their playoff win over Oly:

http://euroleague.infrontams.tv/index.php?id=4770

admiralsnackbar
04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Video clip about about Malik and Marco Jaric and their playoff win over Oly:

http://euroleague.infrontams.tv/index.php?id=4770

Lying Bullshit! You've never even seen Euroleague game!

...Sorry. Thanks for the share.

sasffl
04-14-2011, 04:15 AM
Sadly saying, no positon for him as wingers are full. Hope he can return to NBA to play for warriors

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-14-2011, 07:45 AM
I have never seen a Euroleague game EVER. All my posts about the Euroleague make that abundantly clear.

tbh

ace3g
05-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Ex-Duck Hairston chases title in Euroleague Final Four

In his first season with Italian club Montepaschi Siena,the former Oregon standout shoots for a championship

Hairston had nothing but positive words about San Antonio management, which acquired him in a trade after he was drafted by the Phoenix Suns.

“I think they were great with me,” Hairston said. “Of course I would have liked to have played a little bit more. But during my time we were very heavy at the wing position as I was behind Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley, Keith Bogans and Richard Jefferson. These are All-Stars, Hall of Famers.

“It would have been tough for anybody to crack that lineup. So I think they did an incredible job with me and I learned a lot.”

Hairston was still under contract with the Spurs when he received an offer from Montepaschi. The Spurs gave him their blessing and he agreed to a two-year contract.

“I asked them and they were very supportive,” Hairston said. “They didn’t want to hold me back from that kind of opportunity.

“I was at a point in my career where I needed to get a lot of experience that would help me as well as a chance to get a very, very good paycheck. This is a new experience altogether for me.”

One of the first players Hairston went to for advice was Ginobili, who won the Euroleague title in 2001 for Italian powerhouse club Kinder Bologna.

“I knew about Euroleague,” Hairston said. “I didn’t know much. I knew of it. Manu is actually one of the first guys I spoke with. He told me hands down Siena is one of the best clubs in the league.

“I got an e-mail from him a couple weeks ago congratulating me on reaching the Final Four. All the knowledge that he gave me about what to expect was very appreciated.”

http://special.registerguard.com/web/sports/26198101-41/hairston-euroleague-siena-final-montepaschi.html.csp

MaNu4Tres
05-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Even though I understand his decision on leaving the Spurs for a better opportunity (both playing time, and money wise), I sure hope there's a way Malik returns. His improvement over the course of this past year with Sienna and how his game reflects one of Tony Allen (to a degree) makes me all hot and bothered tbh..

:hat

yavozerb
05-04-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/podcasts/main-page/2010-2011

Bruno
05-05-2011, 03:32 AM
If Hairston wants to go back to the NBA, Final Four is going to be huge for him because there will have tons of scouts and front office people there.

ChumpDumper
05-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Siena vs. Panathinaikos today 11AM CDT on NBAtv.

benefactor
05-06-2011, 05:32 AM
THC lives on...smash them greeks, Malik.

DPG21920
05-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Watching now. Good activity by Malik.

yavozerb
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Watching now. Good activity by Malik.

link please?

TimmehC
05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
link please?

nba tv.

DPG21920
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Ya, I am watching on NBA tv. Malik isn't playing all that great but he is getting into the paint and being really active. He keeps a lot of balls alive. On defense, the guy he's guarding doesn't even touch the ball. Don't know if that's by design or just bad ball movement.

Game has a ton of fouls.

Ocotillo
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Is Keith Bogans and all star or hall of famer?

Solid D
05-06-2011, 06:25 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/05/06/euro-final-four.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Panathinaikos beats Montepaschi in Euro semifinals

Posted May 6 2011 4:18PM

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- Former Florida guard Nick Calathes scored 17 points to lead Panathinaikos to a 77-69 win over Montepaschi Siena on Friday and give the Greek team a spot in the Euroleague final.

Panathinaikos will play for its sixth continental trophy on Sunday against either Maccabi Tel Aviv or Real Madrid.

Montepaschi opened a seven-point lead early in the second quarter, but Panathinaikos went on a 11-0 run to capture its first lead before halftime.

Panathinaikos then held its Italian challenger to 11 points in the third quarter and protected its lead down the stretch.

Center Mike Batiste added 16 points for Panathinaikos, while Rimantas Kaukenas led Montepaschi with 13.

Serbian big man Milovan Rakovic scored a hook shot to give Montepaschi an early 11-7 lead as the two green-clad fan bases traded chants across the Palau Sant Jordi stadium in Barcelona.

Montepaschi outrebounded Panathinaikos 7-0 on the offensive end in the first quarter, while Ksistof Lavrinovic scored seven points.

While being beaten on the boards, Panathinaikos stayed close by getting to the foul line. They shot 12 more free throws than Montepaschi and dished out five more assists in the game.

Montepaschi struggled on offense after Lavrinovic picked up his second foul and came off with seven minutes remaining in the second quarter.

Panathinaikos grabbed its first lead with 2:16 left in the half thanks to its 11-0 run, capped by back-to-back 3-pointers by Greek internationals Antonis Fotsis and Stratos Perperoglou that gave it a 40-36 lead at the intermission.

Fotsis briefly gave Panathinaikos a six-point lead with a long jumper, but each team managed only one basket apiece in the first six minutes after the break.

Lavrinovic was called for his fourth foul midway through the third quarter, and Calathes drove for a layup after he had hit a free throw. Center Mike Batiste swished a midrange jumper and then added a pair of free throws before Fotsis hit his second 3-pointer as Panathinaikos went up 52-40 late in the third.

Montepaschi switched to a zone defense after cutting the deficit to six, but point guard Dimitris Diamantidis hit a 3-pointer for his first field goal of the game.

Guard Malik Hairston scored eight points late as Montepaschi got to within seven points, but Batiste scored three times to protect Panathinaikos' lead in the final minutes.

Montepaschi has lost all four of its semifinal appearances.

ace3g
05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Hairston only had 4 pts on 1/5 shooting in the 3rd place game in 18 minutes. His team did win though.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=188

mountainballer
07-05-2011, 09:29 AM
http://www.sportando.net/eng/italy/serie-a/29088/aj_milano_agreed_to_terms_with_malik_hairston.html

Malik signed with AJ Milano for two seasons.
(Milano plays Euroleague)
Milano has already signed Antonis Fotsis and Omar Cook for next season, they should become significantly better than in the last years.

elemento
07-05-2011, 11:00 AM
GL to Malik

He is a nice guy.

Bruno
10-20-2011, 04:29 PM
First Euroleague game for Hairston this year: 25 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 blocks... a beast.

Boxscore: http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=9

I don't know he will be back in NBA one day but he is turning into a great player in Europe.

DPG21920
10-20-2011, 05:39 PM
He's clearly an NBA level player. Not a star, but a rotational glue guy in the mold of many that are currently and have always been in the league.

benefactor
10-20-2011, 06:40 PM
If I were him I'd just stay over there. He can make a shitload of cash and not have to worry about the drama that comes with the NBA.

Bruno
10-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Hairston is successful in Europe playing SF but he is small for that positon in NBA. He is in the same case (undersized SF) than Romain Sato who is a great player in Europe.

DPG21920
10-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Sure, but on talent and ability alone, he is an NBA player. I don't doubt that at all. The NBA is watered down talent wise and there are many tweaners with limited skill sets that hang around the league a long time.

Malik is better than at least 25 players in the NBA currently.

TD 21
10-20-2011, 07:10 PM
If Evans and Udoka could get away with playing SF in the NBA, then I see no reason why Hairston couldn't. Like them, he just needs a legitimate opportunity to play. But it's not difficult to envision him being a rotation player on a good team.

That being said, with the acquisition of Leonard, that role is no longer available on the Spurs. For that same reason, Green probably won't make the team, even though he also has the potential to be a rotation player on a good team.

DPG21920
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Exactly. People, when players are young and new to the league and on the fringe always look at the short comings like size or whatever, and make it a deal breaker when in fact there are many guys like Udoka that hang around for years. Fact is, he Malik has more talent than a lot of guys in the mold of Udoka and it's a fine line between who sticks and doesn't .

TimmehC
10-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Sweet Jesus that is a stacked team(by Italian standards). For Malik to stand out like that is just amazing.

ChuckD
11-26-2011, 05:30 PM
That being said, with the acquisition of Leonard, that role is no longer available on the Spurs. For that same reason, Green probably won't make the team, even though he also has the potential to be a rotation player on a good team.

I disagree. He's EXTREMELY cheap, and played better (and less scared) than RJ in the playoffs. He's so good on defense, if he can stick this year, he may be the new Bowen at some point. He already looks like he can regularly stick the NBA 3 ball, which was Hairston's downfall as a Spur. I see Green making the team before Butler, now the third string SF, does.

Spurs now have 12 players, including McDyess, under contract. They also have two first rounders they have to offer guaranteed deals to.

Dice will be likely either traded or cut. That will leave 13, if they keep Butler. If they do, he's likely a Toro for the year.

ace3g
06-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Olimpia Milano set to re-sign Malik Hairston, sign Daniel Hackett

Olimpia Milano is close to re-signing Malik Hairston to a new two-year deal and sign Daniel Hackett from Vuelle Pesaro.

Malik Hairston was the top priority for Milano during the summer market. The American SF came in Milano last summer from Siena and coach Scariolo wants him for the future. Hairston should sign a two-year, $3M deal with Olimpia.

http://www.sportando.net/eng/italy/serie-a/39915/olimpia-milano-set-to-re-sign-malik-hairston-sign-daniel-hackett.html

Wild Cobra Kai
06-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Thank God. Two whole years without hearing "why don't the Spurs bring back Malik Hairston?"

timtonymanu
06-22-2012, 12:10 AM
:lol That's how sad our small forward depth was. Between Jefferson, Bogans, Finley, and Hairston, who pisses us off the least?

Now with Leonard and Jack around, I don't care about Hairston anymore.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2012, 07:49 AM
:lol That's how sad our small forward depth was. Between Jefferson, Bogans, Finley, and Hairston, who pisses us off the least?

Now with Leonard and Jack around, I don't care about Hairston anymore.

Yep. The reason Pops Mensah Bonsu looked so appealing is because Matt Bonner was the starter. I liked Hairston, but he was the best option available at the bottom of the barrel.

DrunkTXLabrat
08-26-2013, 10:07 PM
saw a pretty good hairston reference in a thread. totally jumpin the gun on the bump.

draft and stash is all injured up. thomas is heading overseas. mcgrady is calling it quits. hairston could make for a good unguaranteed deal.

benefactor
08-27-2013, 05:44 AM
He can make guaranteed money all day in Europe. He has no motivation to come back to the states for an unguaranteed deal.

DrunkTXLabrat
08-27-2013, 03:56 PM
the states is where its at, guaranteed or not. he's familiar with the spurs system. he would fit a need. i'd expect him to be more attracted to proving himself under those rather favorable conditions. rather than settling for euro dollars.

biziofromdowntown
08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Hell no, he was bust during last year in Italy too