03-08-2010, 02:27 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_richard_jefferson.jpg

Richard Jefferson | F
Born: Jun 21, 1980
Height: 6-7 / 2.01
Weight: 225 lbs. / 102.1 kg.
College: Arizona
Years Pro: 8

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/richard_jefferson/index.html)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I wonder if anyone will bite on his expiring during the off-season? Probably not. And maybe the team wants to keep him to let his contract expire? I hope not.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Man, I hope they find a way to dump him during the offseason. Total disappointment, and is taking away minutes that could be given to the youngins.

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm more optimistic than most here about another team taking his expiring contract, but it's still more likely that the FO won't be able to move him..

timtonymanu
03-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Trade him away. I don't care if he looks better lately. We can do better with 14 million than what we have with him.

blkroadrunners
03-11-2010, 03:52 AM
I was pretty high on RJ at the beginning year and thought he could regain his NJ Net form, but for the most part, he's been a disappointment for what he's worth.

AFBlue
03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
I'll give RJ some credit...

He has really picked it up on the rebounding and defensive end (both man and help D), and I've seen a few games post-All Star Break where he was relentlessly attacking the rim.

Having said that, the last two games have been a step backward offensively as he's still mostly content to settle for Js...most of which are misses. Unless he regains that aggressiveness and consistently shows it in the playoffs, it's pretty clear at this point he's more valuable to the Spurs as an expiring contract than he is as a player.

barbacoataco
03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Jefferson has shown flashes of playing better defense. I'm hoping that in the playoffs he'll bring it. If the Spurs win a couple or start to play better, I think he could be a factor.

exstatic
04-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I wonder if anyone will bite on his expiring during the off-season? Probably not. And maybe the team wants to keep him to let his contract expire? I hope not.

Well, it's going to be one of those.

I'm hoping that maybe they can pluck Anthony Randolph (allegedly, GS says he can be had) and maybe a couple of bad contracts like Maggette and Turiaf for RJ in the offseason. AR's huge upside is worth eating those deals, even though I think Maggette might actually have some gas left.

benefactor
05-07-2010, 11:30 PM
You soft, gutless vagina. I wish you never existed.

TheProfessor
05-07-2010, 11:37 PM
You soft, gutless vagina. I wish you never existed.
While I won't wish him out of existence, I do agree with the first part. Hairston needs to see his minutes, along with whatever wing player we acquire at the 20 spot and any LLE players who actually possess a heart.

Unfortunately, after this performance, even someone as stupid as Jefferson will realize he'll get nothing on the open market and won't opt out. If it's possible to get rid of his worthless carcass, great; if not, let him sit and pine for the days when Kidd could earn him an undeserved, bloated contract.

benefactor
05-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Hmm....

Eh, I still wish he never existed.

Thompson
05-07-2010, 11:53 PM
So after all the hoopla of the off season about Jefferson's signing and the disappointing result, what do y'all think would happen if we could hypothetically trade Jefferson for Iguadala? Would Andre have the same drop-off in production in our system, or would he be significantly better than RJ? I'm asking because I've only seen him play a couple of times.

Ditty
05-08-2010, 12:38 AM
i told everyone before the offseason this wouldnt work but everything got hyped up like me and bought his fucking jersey

igodula is everything we wish jefferson could of been he can take it to the hoop and throw it down and can shoot and just isnt a transition player if we add andre then team could be legit

Bruno
05-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Please do an "extend and trade" deal with Knicks for Curry+Chandler+cash.

Chandler can't shoot but he is a way better defender than RJ.

ace3g
05-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I could have sworn that Chandler was a FA on the ESPN FA page, but he isn't on there anymore

DesignatedT
06-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I thought RJ was pretty solid defensively especially after all-star break. Kinda torn on what I would like to see the Spurs handle RJ. I am more willing to give him another chance than to give him up for virtually nothing.

SenorSpur
06-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Unless RJ opts out of his contract this summer, I hope the Spurs can unload him at the trade deadline. Assuming of course, they can get great value in return. By then, they should be able to get more for his expiring contract. Also, I'm hopeful that, whichever young SF they draft, he will be ready and able to assume a starting role, by midseason.

On the other hand, if said SF develops slowly, it may make some sense for the Spurs to hang onto RJ the entire season.

Bruno
06-13-2010, 01:31 PM
If Spurs do a trade with RJ this summer or at the deadline, a part of the players they will get back should have an expiring contract. For example, a trade like RJ for Iguodala likely isn't financially realistic.

SenorSpur
06-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Spurs would rather have RJ than Curry. But I like that kinda.

Still now that I think about it, I really hope RJ doesn't opt out. This is his second season with the Spurs so I think he'll be more agressive, and it will be a contract year so I hope he plays like he wants another nice contract. Even if he isn't with the Spurs in the 11-12 season, I don't think the Spurs have anything to gain by RJ opting out and they'll lose an athletic small forward.

Hopefully RJ stays, and the Spurs draft (or sign) a legit young athletic small forward to be his replacement next season. And if RJ does stay maybe the Spurs can use his expiring to get another player.

That would be a dream scenario.

DPG21920
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I really hope RJ opts out. I know that might hurt the Spurs from a "talent & trade standpoint", but if they aren't likely to move RJ for an impact player like Iggy, then the Spurs won't lose much from an "impact" standpoint and they will save 20M+.

DPG21920
06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Well realistically we have to hope that RJ plays much better, because he likely is going no where. So that is all we really have. Obviously, I am skeptical just because of his game. You can't change his game and his game is not a great fit.

Sure, if he does a few things better (focuses on rebounding, defense and aggression) it would go a long way to helping out, but his overall game is not a great fit for the holes in the Spurs team right now.

Cane
06-13-2010, 05:23 PM
RJ should look better in the next season since he'll have experience in the system and its a contract year but I think he's destined to being traded out by February (doubt anyone would want him before then either).

He showed good character by acknowledging his disappointments to the team throughout the season and in the playoffs he was one of the "dogs" that Pop was talking about. In the playoffs it was interesting to see RJ basically abandon the floor spacing idea since he chose to stay in front of the 3-point line even though he received a lot of open looks. In fact he only attempted 5 three's in the playoffs and only made one --- Tony Parker was 2/3 by comparison. RJ just doesn't seem comfortable as a spot-up/set shooter and his defense also leaves a lot to be desired. Jefferson only adds to the Spurs liabilities of not only being a poor three point shooting team but also a limited team defensively.

With the emergence of George Hill, RJ's scoring role might lessen as well. I can also see RJ spending a lot of minutes in the doghouse even though they want to trade him by Feb. Spurs need to give minutes to Hairston and whoever else makes up the SF rotation to prepare for RJ's hole on the roster. Hopefully it being a contract year will only strengthen RJ's game since there's always a chance that a player could try too much and force too many bad issues in such circumstances.

In any case the Spurs should also find a way to get Manu and RJ on the court at the same time since Jefferson seems to have the most chemistry with him making plays as opposed to Tony or Hill. Spurs need to find RJ cutting more and use that reverse jam and layup that he's good at. More importantly, he and the Spurs need to get tough defensively. Spurs used to be able to create offense through their defense which should help get RJ easy transition points. Hopefully having a mobile and good-passing 7-footer in Tiago will help create easy offense for athletes like RJ. Oh yea, the Spurs also need to FEED RJ THE BALL on a fast break more often. There were too many times where RJ was open on the fastbreak yet overlooked which must be shitty for his momentum since thats his bread and butter.

All that said it would've been interesting to see how the Spurs would've done with Jason Richardson, Caron Butler, Stephen Jackson, or even Grant Hill taking up RJ's minutes. I'm not saying the Spurs had a realistic shot at getting those guys (especially the PHX ones) but they sure as hell seemed like better assets to their team than RJ.

It'll also be interesting to see what kind of players and contracts the Spurs would want in return for RJ's expiring. If the other SF's in the rotation don't pan out then they're going to have to find a three point shooter.

SenorSpur
06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
True. Based off the Spurs history I would not expect them to trade an expiring for a long term deal (although the Spurs did try and go after Gasol, which is why Pop was so upset when the Lakers got him for nothing). However, I know the Spurs coaching staff is high on Iguodala, which is why I am always tossing him in trade options. I was talking to Coach Don Newman and he thinks that Iggy is the best athlete in the NBA. I thought he was crazy with players like LeBron and Josh Smith being better, but I trust his opinion.

Hey Phila, do you get the feeling the Spurs may be high enough on Iggy, that they would actually do a deal to bring him, and his gargantuan contract, to S.A.? Perhaps in an RJ swap?

Bruno
06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
A RJ trade that could make sense is with Houston: RJ for Ariza and Jeffries.

Ariza has had a so-so season with Rockets and they could decide to move his contract. It could be even more the case if they didn't like the bigmen available at the 14h pick and draft Paul George.

DPG21920
06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
A RJ trade that could make sense is with Houston: RJ for Ariza and Jeffries.

Ariza has had a so-so season with Rockets and they could decide to move his contract. It could be even more the case if they didn't like the bigmen available at the 14h pick and draft Paul George.

That would be a great trade, but even if Houston did not love what Ariza brought, his production was more than enough for his contract. He is still a good young player and a good value.

I don't see Houston getting rid of him. If they can rebuild their team and put him in a proper role, then he can excel. MLE level players aren't supposed to be the number 1 or 2 option on a team.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I'd be very surprised if we don't draft one of the many SFs available at 20, and that means RJ is a dead duck. However, the team will probably hang on to RJ for a while as cover until they know what they've got from the draft (especially given Pop's aversion to rookies).

I think it's likely that RJ will be the starting SF to begin the year, then, assuming our draftee develops and Pop will play him, RJ gets shipped for some youth and an expiring mid-season.

yavozerb
06-13-2010, 11:30 PM
I think an RJ foe Iggy trade would be benificial for both teams. Philly gets salary relief and the Spurs get a really good player. But would the spurs ownership do it? Doubt it.

Is iggy really a big step up from RJ? I will admit I have not seen the many of the sixers games except those against the spurs, but I am pretty sure he is very athletic (like RJ), average jump shot(like RJ), and a good not great defender (like RJ)..Do I feel Iggy is worth around 55mil for the next 4 years, maybe for some teams who can get up and down the floor without playing in the halfcourt setting much, for the spurs sake I would hope they would pass on this..

Chieflion
06-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Is iggy really a big step up from RJ? I will admit I have not seen the many of the sixers games except those against the spurs, but I am pretty sure he is very athletic (like RJ), average jump shot(like RJ), and a good not great defender (like RJ)..Do I feel Iggy is worth around 55mil for the next 4 years, maybe for some teams who can get up and down the floor without playing in the halfcourt setting much, for the spurs sake I would hope they would pass on this..

The difference here is that Iggy is a legit good defender, with good ball handling and shot creating ability and playmaking ability. Sorry if that sounds like LeBron James to you, I would personally call Iggy a very poor man's LeBron James. He is worse than LeBron at very aspect of his strengths but is still a very good player.

TD 21
06-13-2010, 11:43 PM
That would be a great trade, but even if Houston did not love what Ariza brought, his production was more than enough for his contract. He is still a good young player and a good value.

I don't see Houston getting rid of him. If they can rebuild their team and put him in a proper role, then he can excel. MLE level players aren't supposed to be the number 1 or 2 option on a team.

You nailed it. The only starting SF (though he's technically SF sized, he's really like Finley in that he's an SG/SF) that the Spurs might be able to acquire without giving up any of their top assets (while ridding themselves of Jefferson in the process) who can provide 3D is Webster.

His contract breaks down like this: $4,800,000 in 10/11, $5,256,000 in 11/12 and $5,712, 000 in 12/13 (player option). Which is not outrageous, so the Spurs wouldn't be hamstrung with an albatross for years. On top of that, he's definitely Spurs material as far as character and work ethic.

The Trail Blazers supposedly had interest in Jefferson at the '09 trade deadline and leading up until the Spurs acquired him, but a lot has changed since then. Batum has improved and Jefferson's stock has taken another hit. Still, with an expiring contract the Trail Blazers might be interested, particularly because they could dump Webster's contract in the process.

Even if the Trail Blazers were interested in such a deal, the salaries obviously don't come close to matching and unlike in past seasons, there is no Ratliff or LaFrentz on their books with a huge expiring contract to balance out a trade like this, so a third team would have to be recruited to facilitate the trade.

MaNu4Tres
06-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Even if the Trail Blazers were interested in such a deal, the salaries obviously don't come close to matching and unlike in past seasons, there is no Ratliff or LaFrentz on their books with a huge expiring contract to balance out a trade like this, so a third team would have to be recruited to facilitate the trade.

Actually, there is Joel Pryzbilla who tore his patella tendon; which should decrease his overall trading value level as a player. He will be in his last year of his contract that pays him 7.4 million.

So a Martell Webster, Joel Pryzbilla, Rudy Fernandez, Cunningham for Richard Jefferson and #20 would match. * Spurs could even agree under the table to buy out Pryzbilla, so he could return to Portland. If it comes down to it.

SenorSpur
06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Aside from the small ball line ups, I think the Spurs biggest weakness this season was not having a true back up small forward. Bogans was only 6'5", Hairston is probably around the same, Haislip could have been interesting, but in reality there was no 2/3 guard to play behind RJ and Manu.

I couldn't agree more. As much as Pop talked about his desire for a "Derrick McKey"- type player, some seasons ago, While I like the profile picture that Pop painted with that description, I almost get the feeling that he's really not as hot on such a player as it first seemed. If that wasn't true, then WHY are we still talking about the lack of such a player in this program?

It's not just last season, the Spurs have been needing to groom and fortify this position for the past 4-5 years - well before Bowen started to decline. Had they done so, there would've been no need for last summer's "knee-jerk", RJ trade and we wouldn't be sitting here, some years later, STILL talking about how the Spurs don't have an athletic SF.

That deficiency is even more amazing when you consider that the NBA's SF position seems to be the easiest position to fill. In fact, players of this profile have literally poured into the NBA over the past 4-5 years. During that time, the NBA has gotten younger and more athletic. The Spurs weakness at that position has been apparent whenever they match up against teams like the Blazers and Thunder. There are some teams have even stockpiled 2 players (primary and backup) at that position. Meanwhile, the Spurs remain perennially deficient.

If the NBA draft goes according to plan, I hope this is the year that the Spurs have their own twosome at the SF position

I will always maintain that Trevor Ariza would have been the perfect fit for this team - and not just coming off last summer's stellar, championship year with the Fakers. He would've been a good developmental player had the Spurs been able to get him when he bolted New York for Orlando, a few years ago. He's a complimentary player, who doesn't need to have the ball to make an impact.

OK. My rant is over.

TD 21
06-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Actually, there is Joel Pryzbilla who tore his patella tendon; which should decrease his overall trading value level as a player. He will be in his last year of his contract that pays him 7.4 million.

So a Martell Webster, Joel Pryzbilla, Rudy Fernandez, Cunningham for Richard Jefferson and #20 would match. * Spurs could even agree under the table to buy out Pryzbilla, so he could return to Portland. If it comes down to it.

You're right; I forgot about Pryzbilla.

I doubt the Trail Blazers would part with Fernandez in such a trade, though. Webster, Pryzbilla, Cunningham and either Mills or cash might do it. Like you said, the Spurs could agree to an under the table buy out for Pryzbilla, so he could return to the Trial Blazers.

In the end, the Spurs would get presumably a better fit at SF than Jefferson, who's also younger and more affordable, plus a decent, inexpensive, young combo forward and potentially a lightning quick, young PG.

cd98
06-14-2010, 05:36 PM
You're right; I forgot about Pryzbilla.

I doubt the Trail Blazers would part with Fernandez in such a trade, though. Webster, Pryzbilla, Cunningham and either Mills or cash might do it. Like you said, the Spurs could agree to an under the table buy out for Pryzbilla, so he could return to the Trial Blazers.

In the end, the Spurs would get presumably a better fit at SF than Jefferson, who's also younger and more affordable, plus a decent, inexpensive, young combo forward and potentially a lightning quick, young PG.

Fernandez wants out of Portland, so you never know.

TD 21
06-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I know he does, but Allen (the owner) loves him and while I could see him being convinced to deal this malcontent in the right deal, so that they don't lose his rights a year from now should he flee for Europe, I can't see them including him in MaNu4Tres proposed trade.

Even though he's coming off a bad season and wouldn't have an increased role on the Spurs, because he's a talent and he has value, if by some chance the Trail Blazers agreed to that trade, I'd do it in a second. But I don't see him as a good fit on the Spurs, so I'd immediately re-route him, probably for a future 1st round pick.

SenorSpur
06-14-2010, 05:47 PM
The Spurs can part with RJ in a myriad of possible trade scenarios, but they have no business shopping their #20 pick.

MaNu4Tres
06-14-2010, 09:32 PM
I know he does, but Allen (the owner) loves him and while I could see him being convinced to deal this malcontent in the right deal, so that they don't lose his rights a year from now should he flee for Europe, I can't see them including him in MaNu4Tres proposed trade.

Even though he's coming off a bad season and wouldn't have an increased role on the Spurs, because he's a talent and he has value, if by some chance the Trail Blazers agreed to that trade, I'd do it in a second. But I don't see him as a good fit on the Spurs, so I'd immediately re-route him, probably for a future 1st round pick.

:lol

Let me make this clear. I was only proposing the Portland deal proving they could possibly match (salary wise) for Jefferson.

I did not promote the trade by any means.

TD 21
06-15-2010, 06:09 PM
:lol

Let me make this clear. I was only proposing the Portland deal proving they could possibly match (salary wise) for Jefferson.

I did not promote the trade by any means.

Let me make this clear: I never said you were promoting the trade, I said you proposed the trade.

SenorSpur
06-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Explanation of B: There are several reasons for my thinking on this topic. I think he will work hard this off-season to get into great shape. Eat right, workout the right ways, try and get his shot more accurate and his athleticism back. I personally was underwhelmed by RJ's athletic ability. He wasn't as fast or quick as I had thought, but those things can easily be changed with the right training.

I always thought that RJ looked a bit heavy and slow-footed. I thought it was just me, but he simply didn't look as quick and he appeared to lose some of is lift.

TimmehC
06-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I always thought that RJ looked a bit heavy and slow-footed. I thought it was just me, but he simply didn't look as quick and he appeared to lose some of is lift.

Especially after he was held out of that one game(against Memphis, IIRC) with back spasms. He looked even slower and less athletic after that. Let's hope he gets is the best shape of his life since he doesn't have to worry about cancelling any weddings this offseason.

MaNu4Tres
06-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Especially after he was held out of that one game(against Memphis, IIRC) with back spasms.

FWIW Jefferson wore a lower back brace from that game til the end of the season. If people weren't aware.

Bruno
06-21-2010, 10:47 AM
It makes no doubt that Jefferson will pick his option. The only uncertainty is if he will do it before the draft or after it. RJ can't be traded if he hasn't picked his option. If he picks it before the draft, it could ease a potential draft day trade.

If RJ pick the option before the draft, it would be a sign that either he would like to be traded or Spurs have some trade plans and he pick the option by courtesy. If RJ wants to stay and Spurs aren't that interested in trading him, I guess he will pick the option at the last minute like usual.

kobyz
06-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I doubt anyone brings it up, but RJ would probably admit that there were a lot of distractions last summer and his focus wasn't on basketball. I'm not sure how true that statement is, but it has to be hard going through all of that, being traded, ending a wedding and relationship, being one of many new faces on a veteran team. Having a lot expected of you. I remember the Spurs went back into title contention conversation when they made the trade. Didn't quite work that way.

Maybe next year everything will click. The main group of players Parker/Ginobili/Hill/Duncan/Jefferson/McDyess(who is not being talked about enough)/Blair and hopefully Splitter Paul George and a good shooter will be joining, is a really talented team and one of the most talented in the league. The problem is connecting the talent. Creating chemistry and everyone playing hard.

i think you have a good point!
last summer after all the stories with him i was afraid that it will affect him into the season!

Bruno
06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Jefferson has decided not to use his early termination clause. He is under contract with Spurs for 2010-2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

ace3g
06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
smart move on his part, no way he is getting another contract worth that much

TimmehC
06-30-2010, 06:52 PM
bump.

benefactor
07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
lol Spurs

boo_radley
07-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Jefferson has decided not to use his early termination clause. He is under contract with Spurs for 2010-2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

What a difference a day makes

Chomag
07-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Nice hustling job RJ, you should definitely be giving your agent a huge bonus!

timtonymanu
04-30-2011, 03:42 AM
Please GTFO the team.

blkroadrunners
04-30-2011, 03:57 AM
Please GTFO the team.

That's putting it kindly.

TE
04-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Please GTFO the team.

scottspurs
04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Package him with Blair just to get rid of him. I defended him all year and he took a crap on me against memphis.

DesignatedT
04-30-2011, 02:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/sevs41/GetTheFuckOut.gif

Bruno
04-30-2011, 02:15 PM
RJ is amazing.

He has been able to be worst in his second year than in his first year. Given how bad he was in he first year, I didn't think it was possible. That's a true exploit.

objective
04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Awj

awb

anyone but jefferson

anyone but bonner

Spurtacus
04-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Does he still have a hot wife?

InTheCrust
04-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Does he still have a hot wife?
Luke Walton?

ace3g
04-30-2011, 09:06 PM
RJ shouldn't even be in the picture, especially when the coach is forced to not play you at all in the 2nd half on a elimination playoff game.

Competition should be between Green, JA, and Butler (if healthy and shows something in summer league)

SenorSpur
05-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Two words: Get out.

Is there any doubts now that he doesn't belong on this team? What excuse will Pop use now to talk himself into retaining this guy for another season?

It's not his fault because he didn't ask to come to S.A.. His passiveness as a player was evident even before the trade.

kobyz
05-01-2011, 02:36 PM
most of it i blame Pop in RJ disappointment, he just doesn't know how to coach athletic wings, it is not in his philosophy, he can't utility those type of players.

Ditty
05-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't know what happened with him, he played great the first 2 games against the Memphis, and I bet if he makes that 3 to send us to overtime in game 1, and won, and we would of lost game 7 today, everyone would still be bashing him. I told everyone before the trade happened 2 years ago we shouldn't do this, but no one listened I guess. He's going to learn to be a better creator off the dribble this summer, getting to the rim and being aggressive which is what he was doing so much earlier this season, and poosh all his confidence was gone. I think his jumper is fine, which really impressed me how good his shooting was, he just doesn't have any confidence when it counts.

I doubt he goes anywhere unless the Spurs get another shitty contract(s), I'm willing to give up Hill and Blair to get rid of RJ.

Anderson,Butler,Splitter,Neal should all be untouchable when it comes to our young guys.

SenorSpur
05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
He'd be better off in New Jersey, running the wings with Deron Williams.

Hey, doesn't sound bad, does it?

sasffl
05-01-2011, 09:27 PM
I blame POP. RJ is bot a bowen-like player. Now we have to trade him but with a bad contract it is difficult.

IknowU
05-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Danny Green >>>>>>.>>>>>>

Plays the best defense..........but as usual Pop puts him in his dungeon.

NASpurs
05-02-2011, 04:06 AM
RJ has something both Green and Anderson don't have and that's corporate knowledge. Expect Pop to keep him under his wings and groom him because one thing Pop values over thing else is corporate knowledge. Plus it wouldn't be fair for Green and Anderson to get minutes since RJ has corporate knowledge and is a veteran. I can't stress this enough guys, corporate knowledge. Let that sink in.

yavozerb
05-02-2011, 08:45 AM
RJ has something both Green and Anderson don't have and that's corporate knowledge. Expect Pop to keep him under his wings and groom him because one thing Pop values over thing else is corporate knowledge. Plus it wouldn't be fair for Green and Anderson to get minutes since RJ has corporate knowledge and is a veteran. I can't stress this enough guys, corporate knowledge. Let that sink in.

I would agree with this statement during this season since it was green and anderson's 1st with the spurs. But, with them going into their 2nd season I would say this "corporate knowledge" edge you give RJ is totally wrong...If there skillset is better and are they playing the part I gurantee you that they will get good PT in the coming season and you may only see 15-25 minutes of RJ if he continues with his late season play..

NASpurs
05-02-2011, 09:20 PM
I would agree with this statement during this season since it was green and anderson's 1st with the spurs. But, with them going into their 2nd season I would say this "corporate knowledge" edge you give RJ is totally wrong...If there skillset is better and are they playing the part I gurantee you that they will get good PT in the coming season and you may only see 15-25 minutes of RJ if he continues with his late season play..

I can't believe someone took me serious. :lol

Corporate knowledge got us jack shit during the playoffs and that was Pop's favorite phrase during the season. Just some good old sarcasm I was using there.

But remember guys, corporate knowledge will lead us into the promise land once again.

ChuckD
05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I can't believe someone took me serious. :lol

Corporate knowledge got us jack shit during the playoffs and that was Pop's favorite phrase during the season. Just some good old sarcasm I was using there.

But remember guys, corporate knowledge will lead us into the promise land once again.

He's ESL. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate very well.

ChuckD
05-02-2011, 11:08 PM
He'd be better off in New Jersey, running the wings with Deron Williams.

Hey, doesn't sound bad, does it?

It does if you're NJ and you're looking to sign Dwight Howard.

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2011, 11:32 PM
It does if you're NJ and you're looking to sign Dwight Howard.

RJ for Outlaw and Petro doesn't hinder their cap space anymore than keeping Outlaw and Petro would.

They would still have the same significant cap space to go after D. Howard.

SenorSpur
05-03-2011, 12:31 AM
RJ for Outlaw and Petro doesn't hinder their cap space anymore than keeping Outlaw and Petro would.

They would still have the same significant cap space to go after D. Howard.

I'm not a big Outlaw fan, but I'd take him over RJ. Above all else, the Nets are about as desparate to get rid of Outlaw, as we all are to see RJ go.

RJ has always had a warm place in his heart for the Nets. I'd have to think that if there is some interest on their part, along with some incentive, that could be a destination for RJ.

MaNu4Tres
05-03-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm not a big Outlaw fan, but I'd take him over RJ. Above all else, the Nets are about as desparate to get rid of Outlaw, as we all are to see RJ go.

RJ has always had a warm place in his heart for the Nets. I'd have to think that if there is some interest on their part, along with some incentive, that could be a destination for RJ.

I'm not a big fan either. And I don't think Spurs should use R.J to get back a SF in return. If they do, they'll just get bad value in another bad SF(most likely). Which ultimately doesn't improve the team and just pisses us off again a year later.

Spurs can get a better quality of a player if they target a big man for R.J. Why is that you ask?

Most average/defensive bigs in the league are genuinely overpaid, like R.J. (Unless they're still in their rookie contract.) Therefore, Spurs can probably field a decent big like Varejao (who is overpaid), if they package Blair-- who can fill the void in CLE at one of the big spots with quality play for 20-25 minutes a night, and Jefferson-- who happens to play the position that Cleveland desperately needs to balance out their roster to a respectful degree.

I touched up on a R.J/Blair package in another thread and I think it can be realistically attainable. I don't think the Cavaliers can field many better offers for Varejao's bad contract.

To explain, on one end the only teams interested in overpaying Varejao would be contenders desperately looking for a defensive big man (Spurs). This fact narrows down the list of possible suitors for Varejao considerably. (Only contenders would be interested and at the same time the possible suitor/contender would have to have the salary that they are willing to part with; which makes it even tougher.)

On the other end, Varejao is a bad contract for Cleveland because he's essentially an overpaid defensive role player for a lottery team who makes 8 million per (It's bad basketball economics to overpay a limited role player on a lottery team; which was right at the time for Cleveland because they were contenders when they resigned him; overpaying a defensive big only makes sense when you are vying for a title).

At least with a package of R.J and Blair--not only does their pay-roll stay essentially the same, but they get young big with upside for cheap the next 2 years--who can grow with Hickson and their young prospects. All while, improving their small-forward position with a player who can carry some significant offensive burden for a team without many offensive weapons(he's proven to be capable of that-- just not with the Spurs).

I know many disagree, but I think something like that can be more than plausible from both sides. Especially, since it doesn't add significant salary to the Cavs' payroll (Jefferson and Varejao make essentially the same money for the same amount of years; 1-1.5 million difference-- and at the same time, Cavs receive a nice prospect in Blair).

HankChinaski
05-04-2011, 05:56 PM
About the best reasoning in thought for a replacement big inside the paint trade i've heard so far.

And completely agree with spurs having to package two for one for a reasonable trade with another player that has just as bad of a contract.

Bruno
03-16-2012, 09:55 AM
tbh, it was sweet to change the thread title from "Current Spur" to "Former Spur". :)

Leetonidas
03-16-2012, 09:57 AM
shit, feels good just reading it

Libri
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
First look at RJ in a Warrior uniform: April 16, Spurs @ Golden State

timvp
03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
:cry Beautiful.

manufan10
03-16-2012, 01:28 PM
I wonder what it would take for the Spurs to get this guy. He shoots 40% from 3-point range. Spurs could always use another 3 point shooter. Imagine, Pop could even use him to play small ball!!

:stirpot:

Mugen
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
sounds great. can't wait for the "Former Spur: Matt Bonner" thread but it will probably only happen when Pop is gone.

lefty
03-16-2012, 02:45 PM
https://forums.playfire.com/_proxy/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi130.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2F p272%2Ftaba-flababa%2FGifs%2Fcryforeverplz%2Fthose-are-tears-of-joy-ash-is-finally-dead.gif&hmac=e8ac598db73ef997be280c91f19c4cad

timtonymanu
03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
The Jefferson era is finally over! Ahh! Beautiful!

NASpurs
03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Wearing #44 for the Warriors. I'm sure you guys wanted to know.

ace3g
03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/warriors/photos/JeffersonTrade_670x377.jpg

Mel_13
03-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Wearing #44 for the Warriors. I'm sure you guys wanted to know.

#24 retired for Rick Barry

timtonymanu
03-17-2012, 02:03 AM
He's been greatly missed. Come back Richard Jefferson.

crc21209
03-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Awesome thread! :tu :lol

ace3g
03-18-2012, 03:41 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2F2012\03\16\141466588.jp g&w=600&h=900

Anonymous Cowherd
03-18-2012, 06:10 AM
2-14 from the field, 1-7 from three in his first game.

no really, you're welcome, Warriors.

Darkwaters
03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Wow, he actually played 38 minutes for them. He shot like crap, but grabbed 7 boards. Too bad he never felt like contributing in other areas for the Spurs.

Budkin
03-18-2012, 03:45 PM
2-14 there's the RJ we knew and didn't love. :lmao

loveforthegame
03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Jefferson actually had a decent game the other night despite the poor shooting. He was aggressive all game long. Looked for his shot, attacked the basket several times, looked for open guys, looked to rebound, and was actually trying on defense.

I wouldn't want him back for nothing and it sucks I have to watch him on my other favorite team. Still don't understand why the Warriors wanted him but if he gives that kind of effort for the rest of the season he should fit right in. Makes you wonder why he couldn't give half that effort with the Spurs on a more regular basis.

lefty
03-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Trololol

lefty
03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
http://s16.postimage.org/dsatw71dh/Jefferson.jpg

yavozerb
03-21-2012, 09:00 AM
2-14 from the field, 1-7 from three in his first game.

no really, you're welcome, Warriors.

Wow, he actually played 38 minutes for them. He shot like crap, but grabbed 7 boards. Too bad he never felt like contributing in other areas for the Spurs.

2-14 there's the RJ we knew and didn't love. :lmao

19 pts (6-10), 4 rbs, 2 ast, 2 st...Thought it only fair to RJ to post his 2nd game with GSW since he struggled in his 1st game. Best of luck of to him, guy can still score the basketball, just not in the spurs system.

8FOR!3
03-21-2012, 10:14 AM
To be fair, he's probably expected to be a #2 or 3 option in Golden State now that Ellis is gone. Stephen Curry's running the team and David Lee's the best scoring big guy. Bogut's got a decent post game but he's a defensive center. That leaves Jefferson to be their next scorer. Spurs have Ginobili and GS doesn't have a guy like that. I'm sure if the Spurs didn't have Ginobili, Jefferson would've been forced to be more aggressive. On the flip side, I'm sure he does fit in better in that system then he did here. I'm not going to hate on the guy though, he was a good character player and put in a lot of effort into getting better. You can tell he really worked on his outside shot.

Texas_Ranger
03-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Fucker is playing good so far against the rockets. He can even run fast with the ball and attack the basket. Great thing we wanted to make him a corner shooter.

benefactor
03-22-2012, 08:20 PM
It's the bad team effect. There is no pressure when you play for a team that is playing for nothing.