PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: A broken hand, and Finley's bruised ego

duncan228
03-08-2010, 05:08 PM
A broken hand, and Finley's bruised ego (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2010/03/michael-finley-was-in-a.html)
By Buck Harvey

CLEVELAND -- Michael Finley wore a suit Sunday night on the Boston bench, and he might wear a uniform Tuesday in Milwaukee.

His fellow Chicagoan, Doc Rivers, might want to reward him with minutes, too.

But everything Finley wanted is back with his old team. When Tony Parker broke his shooting hand, Finley would have had opportunities to warm up his.

For that, Finley can blame timing.

And ego.

Naturally, Finley would prefer not to see it this way. Asked by the Boston media what went wrong in San Antonio, he said:

"This all happened within a week, a week or two span. It was something that started as something little and I think it just erupted. I think both sides, myself and the Spurs organization, there was a mutual split. I have no hard feelings with them, it was just something they were willing to do, and I was man enough to be ready to make that move."

He got the timeline right. He went to Gregg Popovich after the All-Star break, when he got a string of DNPs. For Finley, this was a new experience. He was not accustomed to sitting an entire game.

It could have "started as something little," and it could have "erupted," too. Finley is a prideful man, and Popovich is a direct one.

But the Spurs weren't looking to release Finley. It was mutual only because the Spurs agreed to his wishes.

As for Finley being "man enough to be ready to make that move:" His manliness might have been the problem.

After all, his desire to switch teams never made much sense, and he admitted as much in Boston. "Unfortunately, for me, I couldn't finish something that I had in San Antonio because the role was something that I really didn't agree with," Finley told the media there. "But here, hopefully the situation will be different, but you never know, it may be the same. But I'm happy with my situation now and I'm definitely going to make the most of it."

So the situation might be the same -- but Finley says he is happy now?

It's one thing to lose your time on the floor with those you have played with for years. It's another to be the newcomer who isn't expected to play much.

It might be easier, too, to watch Ray Allen in your spot instead of Keith Bogans. And maybe there was a career concern as well. The Spurs were not likely going to bring back Finley next year; this way, maybe he finds a niche within Rivers' roster.

Still, all of Finley's reasons were scrambled just a week after he and the Spurs agreed to part. Parker's injury changes a lot of roles, and it's likely it would have changed Finley's had he stayed.

Proof: When Parker missed a game at the end of February in Houston because of food poisoning, who started in his place?

Finley.

For those looking for Finley to wear No. 4 in green, look again. "Well, all the good numbers were taken," he kidded. "I was going to go for 33 (Larry Bird), that was gone, 32 (Kevin McHale) was gone, so I decided on 40. I couldn't get 4, I was two weeks too late to get my No. 4 with Nate Robinson coming over, so I just added an imaginary zero to it and made it 40."

The Boston piece the Finley quote comes from.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4975025

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4142644&postcount=108

Brazil
03-08-2010, 05:12 PM
oh boy I'm tired of finley's bs

Mel_13
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Finley thread!

EricB
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Interesting.

Doe
03-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Well I for one am happy for the Express News staff. They have finally found their replacement for the Bat story. Now we can hear about this for weeks on end.

But yeah, I am very thankful Finley turned out to be a turncoat. I would have puked having to watch him start tonight had he stayed.

Fabbs
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
The extortionist continues. :lol

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
i miss fin :drunk

Blackjack
03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
The extortionist continues. :lol

I was expecting a 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce, Fabbs . . .

EricB
03-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Fabbs is really depressed.

He can't make any more 3 year old Pop and Fin marriage jokes.

Instead he'll go onto some other immature retarded argument and talk about lists that he never produces and will just post pictures of photo shopped players heads on wedding pictures and candy bars.

jag
03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Karma is such a bitch

Blackjack
03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
I will waste no more time or energy on Fin (I will instead re-post the one serious take I've made, or will make, on the subject).

Fin really is coming off as a supreme douche.

From all I've heard with regards to people that supposedly have insight into the organization and the response I heard from RC's own mouth a couple of days ago on the radio ... I find it comical how Fin could say there was some kind of eruption that took place and mutual parting of ways.

Make no mistake, Pop and RC were blindsided by his request and if not for RC catching himself mid-sentence, preventing him from expressing how disappointed and/or shocked he was with a guy like Fin taking the easy way out when the going got tough, he was on his way to saying as much during the interview; it was like hearing someone tow the company line regurgitating talking points to prevent from slipping up for fear of some kind of future reprisal.

I have no hard feelings with them, it was just something they were willing to do, and I was man enough to be ready to make that move.

Weak sauce, Fin . . .

Adversity doesn't build but expose character; the going got tough, you obviously never got over yourself and/or had the humility to acknowledge your limitation, and you bailed. You weren't man enough to make a move, you were exposed for being either delusional and/or an ungrateful, gravy-training sonbitch that had come to the realization that the team that gave you your first and only championship was no longer of any use to you.

"Class act" always seems to be the term used when Fin is mentioned; one wonders if that's not supposed to be a literal interpretation.

Good riddance . . .

Obstructed_View
03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
It might be easier, too, to watch Ray Allen in your spot instead of Keith Bogans.

This has been what occurred to me about the situation. Fin was already ahead of Hairston in the rotation, so the only thing keeping him from getting minutes was Bogans.

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 06:30 PM
This guy is amazing. He left the Spurs for partially the same reason that he was released in Dallas - the coaching staff realized that his skills had declined to a point, where it no longer made sense to give him the minutes he was accustomed to. Instead of being a good teammate and coming off the bench in Dallas, he made it known that he would rather go elsewhere.

Now 5 years later, he's does the same thing in San Antonio. His skills have declined even further, yet he still expected the heavy, every-game, minutes Pop had force fed him in the past. This, despite him being an obvious liability at both ends of the court. His presence on the court started to offend me.

F Finley. As far as I'm concerned the timing worked out well. Why the hell does he think that he deserves a better exit than Bowen, who actually lost his minutes in the rotation to him? He's turned out to be a bit of a douche and I, for one, am doing cartwheels because his ass is gone.

E-RockWill
03-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Fabbs is really depressed.

He can't make any more 3 year old Pop and Fin marriage jokes.

Instead he'll go onto some other immature retarded argument and talk about lists that he never produces and will just post pictures of photo shopped players heads on wedding pictures and candy bars.

& you'll continue to be a dick.

PM5K
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Basically what this article is saying is that Finley is a fucking moron, and that at 37 you should have a much smaller ego.

EricB
03-08-2010, 06:45 PM
& you'll continue to be a dick.

Only to people who are dicks to me.

Run along kiddo.

temujin
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Smart article.

Finley would have certainly taken Parker's minutes as a point guard.

A DNP-shooting combo point guard.

mountainballer
03-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Finley= most overrated class act in Spurs history.

timtonymanu
03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
This guy is amazing. He left the Spurs for partially the same reason that he was released in Dallas - the coaching staff realized that his skills had declined to a point, where it no longer made sense to give him the minutes he was accustomed to. Instead of being a good teammate and coming off the bench in Dallas, he made it known that he would rather go elsewhere.

Now 5 years later, he's does the same thing in San Antonio. His skills have declined even further, yet he still expected the heavy, every-game, minutes Pop had force fed him in the past. This, despite him being an obvious liability at both ends of the court. His presence on the court started to offend me.

F Finley. As far as I'm concerned the timing worked out well. Why the hell does he think that he deserves a better exit than Bowen, who actually lost his minutes in the rotation to him? He's turned out to be a bit of a douche and I, for one, am doing cartwheels because his ass is gone.

+ 1. I wonder how different things would have been had Finley just had a one year contract in 08. Would Pop still have chosen Finley over Bowen?