PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII

Kobe Molested Me
03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Anyone planning to get this? I've never played a final fantasy game before but tempted to buy this one for ps3. Is it fun? Better than Fable?

IronMexican
03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
It's nothing like Fable. Turn-based game.

Kobe Molested Me
03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
It's nothing like Fable. Turn-based game.

Both RPG right?

IronMexican
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, both are RPG's. I could never get into these games. You might, though. And it seems a lot of people like it. The only turn based game I've ever liked was pokemon for the GBC.

Stringer_Bell
03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Both RPG right?

RPG basically just means you have a character or group that gain levels, raise stats, and upgrade weapons/magic over the course of a long story, so yea they are both RPGs but there's more action in Fable from what I've seen.

If you are new to the FF world, I'd say FF13 looks like shit compared to the other ones. It's the first I'm not interested in playing at all, mostly because I've heard there's not a whole lot more to the game other than the "on the rails" story.

Kobe Molested Me
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
RPG basically just means you have a character or group that gain levels, raise stats, and upgrade weapons/magic over the course of a long story, so yea they are both RPGs but there's more action in Fable from what I've seen.

If you are new to the FF world, I'd say FF13 looks like shit compared to the other ones. It's the first I'm not interested in playing at all, mostly because I've heard there's not a whole lot more to the game other than the "on the rails" story.

So would God of War 3 be a better choice?

Leetonidas
03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
FFXIII I'm pretty sure isn't turn based. The whole turn based stuff started falling apart in X-2 and XI is MMORPG. My brother has XII and it's not turn based either really. I guess if you consider everything that's not like Oblivion or Fable to be turn based then maybe. But anyway, I kinda wanna play it. I have gamefly so I'm gonna rent it out and see how it is.

Stringer_Bell
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
So would God of War 3 be a better choice?

It looks like a funner game, but the one I really want to play is Red Dead Redemption in May. It's like GTA in the wild west.

DarkReign
03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
It looks like a funner game, but the one I really want to play is Red Dead Redemption in May. It's like GTA in the wild west.

Yeeeesh...

"more fun"

DarkReign
03-08-2010, 07:43 PM
FF13 is a JRPG...a number of things are true about JRPGs.

1. Nearly everyone will have super spiky hair.
2. At least one male character will look and act very feminine.
3. Weapons will considerably larger than reality would allow.
4. The combat system will not be as "active" as you think it should be.
5. The story will have absolutely ZERO creativity. Lone peasant, world in danger, motley crew of heros, witless banter, super bad guy, good guys win, the end.
6. Some spells will take close to a full minute to "cast". Some like, some dont.
7. The freedom you enjoy in most western games will not be there.

..this list could literally never end.

BUT! I preordered FF13 with no thought to it at all. The FF series is the penultimate JRPG series of all time. Its had super highs and negligible lows, but no franchise outside Mario, Metroid or Zelda has had as much impact on their respective genres.

Western RPGs wouldnt be what they are today without the FF series, Dragons Quest, et all guiding them. They show what works, what people like (more importantly what people dont like), cool spells, CGI cut scenes, leveling schemes, character customization, menu systems, UI design and gameplay balancing.

I am sure someone will cite some rather obscure title as the greatest JRPG of all time, and I wouldnt argue against their selection (subjective for both of us). But FF7 turned my gaming world around forever. For that reason alone, I keep an open mind.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2010, 08:53 PM
FF13 is a JRPG...a number of things are true about JRPGs.

1. Nearly everyone will have super spiky hair.
2. At least one male character will look and act very feminine.
3. Weapons will considerably larger than reality would allow.
4. The combat system will not be as "active" as you think it should be.
5. The story will have absolutely ZERO creativity. Lone peasant, world in danger, motley crew of heros, witless banter, super bad guy, good guys win, the end.
6. Some spells will take close to a full minute to "cast". Some like, some dont.
7. The freedom you enjoy in most western games will not be there.

..this list could literally never end.

BUT! I preordered FF13 with no thought to it at all. The FF series is the penultimate JRPG series of all time. Its had super highs and negligible lows, but no franchise outside Mario, Metroid or Zelda has had as much impact on their respective genres.

Western RPGs wouldnt be what they are today without the FF series, Dragons Quest, et all guiding them. They show what works, what people like (more importantly what people dont like), cool spells, CGI cut scenes, leveling schemes, character customization, menu systems, UI design and gameplay balancing.

I am sure someone will cite some rather obscure title as the greatest JRPG of all time, and I wouldnt argue against their selection (subjective for both of us). But FF7 turned my gaming world around forever. For that reason alone, I keep an open mind.

Couldn't have possibly said it any better myself. 100% come correct rate.

After FF7, I would give any Final Fantasy game a chance. I just don't have a newer era game system and the time to play RPG's anymore.

redzero
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/43338i8BE8FE457F2B3AFD/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

After the open-endedness of XII, I find it odd that Square chose to make an rpg on rails.

Stringer_Bell
03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
After the open-endedness of XII, I find it odd that Square chose to make an rpg on rails.

See, I can dig long ass dungeons with minimal exploration...it's the world not being open to allowing transportation with vehicles, areas with specific monsters or hidden locations on the world map, and optional recruitable characters.

The Suikoden series is probably the best series of RPG (I don't bother with western/japanese/eastern/russian/whatever), although FF7-10 was fantastic too with a small exception for the heavy "on the rails" feel of FFX (the ending made the journey worth it).

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
See, I can dig long ass dungeons with minimal exploration...it's the world not being open to allowing transportation with vehicles, areas with specific monsters or hidden locations on the world map, and optional recruitable characters.

The Suikoden series is probably the best series of RPG (I don't bother with western/japanese/eastern/russian/whatever), although FF7-10 was fantastic too with a small exception for the heavy "on the rails" feel of FFX (the ending made the journey worth it).

I've been outta the game for a while.

Suikoden = Secret of Mana series right?

Stringer_Bell
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I've been outta the game for a while.

Suikoden = Secret of Mana series right?

Hehe, that's actually Seiken Densetsu, which I think is actually a spin-off of Final Fantasy somewhere in the early days.

Suikoden is from Konami, you recruit 108 characters and fight large scale battles and normal RPG battles. It's the sheeeeeit.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2010, 10:57 PM
ahhhhh the konami rpg series

never tried them but always wanted to

if only i had the time

you know the major thing keeping me from playing RPG's these days is that i also do not have the patience to fight random countless meaningless battles anymore....I would use up my whole backup supply of W just to get through one dungeon.

Do rpg's still have the fuckton of random encounters?

symple19
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Do rpg's still have the fuckton of random encounters?

yeah dude, especially if you play MMORPGs. The term 'grinding' has taken on a whole new meaning.

Although, Dragon Age: Origins wasn't too bad in that respect at all

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
yeah dude, especially if you play MMORPGs. The term 'grinding' has taken on a whole new meaning.

Although, Dragon Age: Origins wasn't too bad in that respect at all

I put in a lot of time on Everquest back in 00 and 01....never experienced anything like the random encounters one would expect in Final Fanasty I-VII

symple19
03-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I put in a lot of time on Everquest back in 00 and 01....never experienced anything like the random encounters one would expect in Final Fanasty I-VII

Never played Everquest...WoWarcraft and Runes of Magic are two MMORPGS that come to mind involving excessive grinding/farming. You really have to be a part of a community to get through those types of games.

There have always been random encounters in FF, they've just been presented in different ways. The latest ones have had tighter, more linear storylines/maps, while still keeping the random encounter aspect.

It can get nauseating to fight shit over and over again if you're looking for a specific enemy or drop, but I suppose it's just one of those things you have to do when it comes to playing these games (most of them anyway)

What I like about the FF games is the story. DR summed it up well earlier, they definitely can get formulaic, but they're always so beautifully done that I find myself returning for each single player edition. I even liked XII, which most people hated.

CBF, I think they still make the new FF games for the PS2, in case you still have one of those (not sure though). I also have a friend who ports em' over to his PC, and that's how he plays. I'm not good enough to do that, so I'll go back and play this newest one once I eventually get a console. (FF is the only RPG they don't make for PC which would compel me to actually buy a console)

IronMexican
03-09-2010, 12:34 AM
GOW3 got a 9.3 while XIII got a 8.9.

I don't understand how any PS# owner could pass up on GOW. It's my second favorite franchise to GTA(Pre- GTA4)

DarkReign
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/f/5/2f588e3a97b4fb65f691db12d0e915ae.gif

Every time I see this sig gif, I get immensely creeped out.

baseline bum
03-09-2010, 07:00 PM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/f/5/2f588e3a97b4fb65f691db12d0e915ae.gif

Every time I see this sig gif, I get immensely creeped out.

It's less creepy with the dinosaur head and lights than if you see the real scene.

z0sa
03-09-2010, 07:32 PM
If you're a fan of the series, this game won't disappoint (doesn't seem like it will after a few hours of PT at least). It scores very few points in the whole "reasons to attract newcomers to the fanbase" category, though.

One recent "divergent" JRPG that really kicks some ass is Demon's Souls. It veers away from that story/plot driven element almost entirely, though the base story does share some similarities with your classic JRPG model. In that game, execution is just as important as strategy.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Never played Everquest...WoWarcraft and Runes of Magic are two MMORPGS that come to mind involving excessive grinding/farming. You really have to be a part of a community to get through those types of games.

There have always been random encounters in FF, they've just been presented in different ways. The latest ones have had tighter, more linear storylines/maps, while still keeping the random encounter aspect.

It can get nauseating to fight shit over and over again if you're looking for a specific enemy or drop, but I suppose it's just one of those things you have to do when it comes to playing these games (most of them anyway)

What I like about the FF games is the story. DR summed it up well earlier, they definitely can get formulaic, but they're always so beautifully done that I find myself returning for each single player edition. I even liked XII, which most people hated.

CBF, I think they still make the new FF games for the PS2, in case you still have one of those (not sure though). I also have a friend who ports em' over to his PC, and that's how he plays. I'm not good enough to do that, so I'll go back and play this newest one once I eventually get a console. (FF is the only RPG they don't make for PC which would compel me to actually buy a console)

Yeah I'm familiar with FF series up to IX but btw they did make FFVII for the PC

DMX7
03-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I got FFXIII today, and am loving it.

redzero
03-10-2010, 01:28 AM
If you're a fan of the series, this game won't disappoint (doesn't seem like it will after a few hours of PT at least). It scores very few points in the whole "reasons to attract newcomers to the fanbase" category, though.

One recent "divergent" JRPG that really kicks some ass is Demon's Souls. It veers away from that story/plot driven element almost entirely, though the base story does share some similarities with your classic JRPG model. In that game, execution is just as important as strategy.

Demon's Souls is awesome.

I suggest that everybody here with a PS3 tries it out.

DMX7
03-10-2010, 02:09 AM
It's less creepy with the dinosaur head and lights than if you see the real scene.

Why? Are these kids at Jesus Camp or what?

DMX7
03-10-2010, 04:23 AM
I will say this though. I'm loving this game. However, I was hoping it would redeem the Japs for the whole Toyota "thing". It hasn't, lol.

Wild Cobra
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I like the turn based ones. I'll bet my daughter bought it for her PS3. I like and dislike the series. A bit cheesy for me, but still fun once I get past it.

UDuAhqQJXHU

I like this movie, and have it:

jC-hLw9dT0E

DarkReign
03-10-2010, 03:32 PM
IMO, Spirits Within was vastly underrated.

I really like that movie.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
IMO, Spirits Within was vastly underrated.

I really like that movie.

Saw it at the dollar theater with 4cc IIRC. I thought the CGI was great for its time, the story was lacking. We were heavily stoned and the story was just too hard to follow. Have not seen it since.
Maybe I should give it a try.

Anyone here see the FF7 movie Advent Children? I caught it on some japanese tv channel i discovered that I had. Pretty trippy. The voice acting blewww though.

symple19
03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah I'm familiar with FF series up to IX but btw they did make FFVII for the PC

good question...Yes they did. Probably still find the torrent out there if you looked

IronMexican
03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
My brother is loving the game a lot. Guess it's real good.

CubanSucks
03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Chick on the cover is the hottest videogame character EVER. I calls em like I sees em

z0sa
03-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Chick on the cover is the hottest videogame character EVER. I calls em like I sees em

:tu Lightning is her name.

Death In June
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm not a fan of the newer FFs. The anime scifi style (outside of ghost in the shell) looks super corny to me, and not in an endearing way. I'd recommend Mass Effect 2, or just play the old FFs - the good ones (III, V, VI, IX)

BlackSwordsMan
03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
not being able to control what your party does really sucks ass but alright game so far

z0sa
03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
not being able to control what your party does really sucks ass but alright game so far

You can control pretty much exactly what they do based on paradigm. I do think it's better to do lots of work controlling your guys than this easier, role oriented type of combat, but once you get used to it and make your paradigms how you like them, your control is pretty versatile still.

Hank the Tank
03-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Just got to Ch.7 (no spoilers) and I don't really know what to think. I mean the graphics are gorgeous, the music is great, and the battle system is fast paced and pretty fun.

However, the game just gets boring after a while. There is nothing that separates the long ass dungeons that the entire game so far has consisted of. Nothing but fight, fight, fight with nothing to break the monotony.

Also the thing that has been bothering me the most, has been the story's feel. I don't mean the actual storyline, but the feel of it, the adventure. It's terrible. It feels like the whole game so far has taken place in the span of two days. Where's the epic journey? FF1-10 (minus 8, and i never played 3 so i dont know) had this feel to them, where you knew it was gonna be a long haul, traveling across the world to vanquish evil. This game so far only takes place in a big, floating city ball in the sky. wtf.

Also what is up with Gil in this game. I have like 3000 gil and have not bought anything. wtf wtf wtf.

biggest disappointment since FFXII and GTA4 imo. i hope it gets better but i just dont know. at least GOW3 comes out soon.

blkroadrunners
05-06-2010, 08:50 PM
How far are y'all in the game? I just beat Orphan today..