PDA

View Full Version : wtf does pop see in mason

tothrowed
03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
does he not watch the game did he not see malik is better than mason and bogans

honestfool84
03-08-2010, 09:37 PM
no, better question is..
WTF was roger mason shooting the three and NOT ginobili?!

BadOne
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Mason blows. I can't believe we didn't trade his stupid ass. At least to save some money for God's sake. Mason is clutch no more...

murpjf88
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Based on what?

timvp
03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
lol @ Mason demanding a trade.

Warlord23
03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Love is blind, didn't you know?

Spurs Brazil
03-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Mason should have been traded in the offseason after his pathetic playoffs

He sucks

honestfool84
mason sucks. effffff.

Spurs Brazil

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

He'll be luck to be in the NBA next season

Death In June
03-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Mason sucks, but so does Hariston. There are no good options. We have Hill, Blair, Tony, Tim, and Manu. Everyone else is garbage.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
since finley is gone, pop has to turn his love attention to mason....

im fkn tired of this pop love bs with veteran players...when was the last time he actually put someone in the dog house?

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Mason sucks, but so does Hariston. There are no good options. We have Hill, Blair, Tony, Tim, and Manu. Everyone else is garbage.

link?..

he's only played rotation minutes in 2 games, and he barely played tonight..

concken
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM
since finley is gone, pop has to turn his love attention to mason....

Im fkn tired of this pop love bs with veteran players...when was the last time he actually put someone in the dog house?

+1.

Spurs Brazil
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Malik in 6 minutes, 2pts 3rebs
Mason in 25 minutes, 2pts 0rebs (1-1000001FG)

anakha
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Where are the people who were advocating Mason start?

Johnny RIngo
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
What are the alternatives? There's Bogans but he's just as awful. The only other alternative is Hairston but Pop won't ever give substantial minutes to a D-Leaguer. We just have to accept the fact that we're a VERY thin team when 70 points from Manu/Duncan/Hill isn't enough to beat a Cavs team without Lebron/Shaq/Jamison.

kobyz
03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
what a mistake to release Finley! Finley would have hit that shot and he also better than Mason at defense and everything!

Creation88
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
hey roger mason. GTF off my team asshole. you bitched about playing time, well be careful what you wish for douchebag. 0-8 from 3 pt in 26 mins. fucking idiot.

TJastal
03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
This was defenitely a "fuck you" game from Mason. Not a professional thing to do but I hardly blame the guy, he's been jerked around the whole year and was pretty much completely shut out of the rotation until Parker broke his hand, then all of a sudden Pop thrusts him back into a major role including being expected to win the game at the end.

Pop should have realized Mason was a lost cause after the 1st half, that he continued to call his number shows just how utterly retarded Gregg Popovich is. It's not like he doesn't have an option here either. He's got a young talented player dying for some PT (Hairston) and he won't use him. At least Hairston isn't a lost cause yet, but give Pop another year and he'll be the next spur demanding a trade and putting up horrible numbers.

Stringer_Bell
03-08-2010, 10:31 PM
This was defenitely a "fuck you" game from Mason. Not a professional thing to do but I hardly blame the guy, he's been jerked around the whole year and was pretty much completely shut out of the rotation until Parker broke his hand, then all of a sudden Pop thrusts him back into a major role including being expected to win the game at the end.

Pop should have realized Mason was a lost cause after the 1st half, that he continued to call his number shows just how utterly retarded Gregg Popovich is. It's not like he doesn't have an option here either. He's got a young talented player dying for some PT (Hairston) and he won't use him. At least Hairston isn't a lost cause yet, but give Pop another year and he'll be the next spur demanding a trade and putting up horrible numbers.

Mason is a baller, he should be ready at all times. No excuses.

What is concerning, however, is the realization that TWO players actively voiced trade requests to the "best FO in basketball." Since when did we become a city that players want out of? FCUK WE SHOULD HAVE WON THIS GAMMMMMMMMMMMMME!

lefty
03-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Mason should have been traded in the offseason after his pathetic playoffs

He sucks

He'll be luck to be in the NBA next season
You guys are harsh

Maybe he wanted to be traded to a Euro team

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Was Bonner on the floor during the final play?

anakha
03-08-2010, 10:40 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

TD 21
03-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Unfortunately, the geniuses who put this roster together built it with one true point guard and no true centers. Not surprisingly, that lack of depth has been exposed as the year has wore on. Quite simply, Mason has to play right now.

Is Hairston better? Possibly, but Hairston is a wing, Mason is a guard, something this team has three of available right now. Ginobili doesn't have the legs to log extended minutes every game and Hill can't play the entire game, so Mason has to be able to play 20-25 mpg with Parker out. Not only that, but he, along with Bonner, are supposed to be the two pure shooters on a team struggling mightily to make three's.

It's incredible how stupid this front office is. They had an old team coming into the season that they were hoping would go to to at least the conference finals and hopefully the finals and they put it together without depth in the two areas you need depth more than any other: ball handlers and size.

spurs10
03-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Was Bonner on the floor during the final play?
Don't think so....also too bummed to check the recording...bad loss.

silverblackfan
03-08-2010, 11:26 PM
I don't know if Mason's shoddy performance will be the slap in the face to Pop to try out Hairston for more minutes. Hairston is looking dedicated and sharp out there. RMJ may have just lost his minutes in the next game. Maybe Pop doesn't want to discover a good young player in the last game of the first round again.

SouthTexasRancher
03-08-2010, 11:34 PM

Mason and Bogans are Pop's new soulmates now that Finley left Pop standing at the altar.

Crosherelooms
03-08-2010, 11:41 PM
The same stupid fucks that have been bitching and whining about Mason all year will be cheering madly when Roger is once again getting regular minutes and knocking down triples at a steady clip

spurtech09
03-09-2010, 12:15 AM
mason hasn't been playing well but when he is yall so called fans are cheering for him...give the guy a break.....like you can do better?i don't think so.....and as for hairston...the guy hasn't even played that much so you can't really say he sux....all I can say is mason keep playing your shots are bound to fall...keep your head up

TJastal
03-09-2010, 12:26 AM
I don't blame Roger Mason, this was really just a predictable result of limited playing time/sporadic minutes (one game 28 minutes, next game 3 minutes) all year long. Must get frustrating to have your minutes fluctuate like Roger's have been all year.

Not to mention constant lineup and role changes thrown in for good measure and you have a recipe for inconsistent play/unhappy player which Roger certainly is.

ginobili fan
03-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Mason sucks.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Mason sucks.

Nah, Pop sucks. Roger is a solid 6th man/bench player in this league.

MaNu4Tres
03-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Nah, Pop sucks. Roger is a solid 6th man/bench player in this league.

Mason is a solid shooter.

That is it.

When his shot is off, he is the worst player on the team.

Sean Cagney
03-09-2010, 12:42 AM
I don't know if Mason's shoddy performance will be the slap in the face to Pop to try out Hairston for more minutes. Hairston is looking dedicated and sharp out there. RMJ may have just lost his minutes in the next game. Maybe Pop doesn't want to discover a good young player in the last game of the first round again.

Yeah right, he will get more mins than ever the next game and then on after this game :depressed. Bogans will start too.
mason hasn't been playing well but when he is yall so called fans are cheering for him...give the guy a break.....like you can do better?i don't think so.....

Yeah that makes a good point there, we are not in the NBA nor getting paid millions! I guess that is our bar now? If we can play better than so and so or not? I hope to GOD NOT since we are fans and they are in the NBA.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Mason is a solid shooter.

That is it.

When his shot is off, he is the worst player on the team.

This is one of the biggest myths on this board, that Mason can't do anything but shoot. That, and Bogans is some kind of great defensive player. Wake up and smell the coffee and quit listening to the lemmings on this board.

Fact: Mason plays passable defense and can actually create opportunities for others with his passing. He can also can handle the ball in short stretches.

Fact: Bogans plays passable defense and can't handle the ball or assist others.

MaNu4Tres
03-09-2010, 01:01 AM
This is one of the biggest myths on this board, that Mason can't do anything but shoot. That, and Bogans is some kind of great defensive player. Wake up and smell the coffee and quit listening to the lemmings on this board.

I don't listen to anyone.

As hard as it may be to believe, I've been able to catch some Spurs games throughout my lifetime believe it or not.

mingus
03-09-2010, 01:41 AM
no playing time or playing time all year, his performance today was turrible. you can't be an NBA-worthy player and go 0 of 8 from the field, esp, when you don't contribute AT ALL in any other areas, most importantly defense.

he won't be in the NBA next season. book it. this was his fuckin game to show he can produce and he blew it.

mingus
03-09-2010, 01:43 AM
mason can really help you or kill you though. he can go 5/8 one night and like tonight showed 0/8 another. but you can't rely on this kind of player for more than spot minutes when he doesn't give you anything else.

timtonymanu
03-09-2010, 02:46 AM
title of thread should be changed to wtf does pop see in bogans.

Pop knows Mason is trash which is why he doesn't play him as much. Mason only played tonight because everyone else was missing and Pop refuses to play Hairston for some fucking reason.

kobyz
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Nah, Pop sucks. Roger is a solid 6th man/bench player in Euro league.

fix

poop
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
i have been wanting mason to get more minutes but jesus, after last night 0 -for- 20 or whatever he was, just painful to watch, absolutely worthless lol.

play Malik instead

silverblackfan
03-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately, the geniuses who put this roster together built it with one true point guard and no true centers. Not surprisingly, that lack of depth has been exposed as the year has wore on. Quite simply, Mason has to play right now.

Is Hairston better? Possibly, but Hairston is a wing, Mason is a guard, something this team has three of available right now. Ginobili doesn't have the legs to log extended minutes every game and Hill can't play the entire game, so Mason has to be able to play 20-25 mpg with Parker out. Not only that, but he, along with Bonner, are supposed to be the two pure shooters on a team struggling mightily to make three's.

It's incredible how stupid this front office is. They had an old team coming into the season that they were hoping would go to to at least the conference finals and hopefully the finals and they put it together without depth in the two areas you need depth more than any other: ball handlers and size.

Good comment about wing vs. guard position. I guess I would hope to see Mason's time trimmed along with Bogans and let Hairston take the time at the wing for a game.

Spurs Brazil
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
And this piece of shit get worst and worst

WAIVE MASON. He's a fucking scrub

Play Malik

TJastal
03-10-2010, 10:33 PM
And this piece of shit get worst and worst

WAIVE MASON. He's a fucking scrub

Play Malik

untwist your panties lol

pjjrfan
03-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Mason is not that bad, but right now, he is playing with zero confidence. That and he is not really an athletic type guy who will make plays when he doesn't have the ball. Hairston on the other hand made things happen, and he didn't have to have the ball. Mason had like 4 turnovers in a row, between him and Blair they had 6. Pop should have been playing this kid from the get go. What the hell.

jdev82
03-10-2010, 11:19 PM
he sees a shooter who isnt afraid to shoot and hits a shot once in a while.

TD 21
03-11-2010, 02:09 AM
Good comment about wing vs. guard position. I guess I would hope to see Mason's time trimmed along with Bogans and let Hairston take the time at the wing for a game.

Yeah, a lot of people don't get it. They just assume because both Hairston and Mason are listed as SG (at least as their primary position) that they're competing wit one another for minutes, but really, they're not. If Mason keeps this up, you might see the odd game where he get's benched for a half or a game and Hairston takes his spot in the rotation, but generally, Mason will play even if he plays poorly.

Here's why: he's the last NBA caliber guard remaining on the roster. Hill can only play so much and Pop will try like heck to not wear Ginobili out too much during this stretch, so someone has to relieve them of the ball handling duties and it has to be Mason.

As for Hairston, I suspect we'll begin to see more of him. Still a lot of games, including a few back-to-backs up coming this month, which means at some point the Spurs will inevitably (there's bound to be a few blowouts along the way) go beyond a nine man rotation and when they do, Hairston is next in line. In fact, if Jefferson keeps up this level of offensive ineptitude, don't be surprised if Hairston begins to take more of his minutes.

Russ
03-11-2010, 11:17 AM
The worst trades/signings are the ones that don't appear that bad until after you've wasted a lot of time and opportunity costs. Unfortunately, that's Mason's legacy.

Despite the early national buzz to the contrary, the Spurs would have been better never to have signed him.

Muser
03-11-2010, 11:22 AM
You win some, and you lose some.

TJastal
03-11-2010, 11:22 AM
The worst trades/signings are the ones that don't appear that bad until after you've wasted a lot of time and opportunity costs. Unfortunately, that's Bogans' legacy.

Despite the early national buzz to the contrary, the Spurs would have been better never to have signed him.

fixed

Dex
03-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I think coaches (especially Pop) get enamored with percentages and statistics sometimes. Pop reportedly even told Mason, I believe before the last shot against the Cavs, "The percentages are with you."

While I normally agree with this theory throughout the game, percentages go out the window in the clutch. Players are tired, pressure is higher, defenses are changing, and the thought of all your makes and misses before that big shot are riding in the back of your mind.

Yes, with Mason having gone 0-8, he was definitely due for a make. Percentage-wise, he was due for a few. But all that doesn't help a player at all when he just can't feel the right stroke, or is over-adjusting for all of the other shots that have bricked or rimmed out.

It also doesn't help a player when you know you haven't made a shot all afternoon, and suddenly you know the big shot is coming your way. It's hard to turn off that doubt. Even when Mason was hitting his game winners, they usually weren't drawn up for him, which I think benefits a streaky shooter (as they are shooting on instinct).

The games make the percentages. The percentages do not make the games.

spurtech09
03-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah so mason is not hitting his big shots anymore but doesn't mean you gotta diss him.....if he was making his shots yall would be like woo hooo big money shot mason ....woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!give the guy a break

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Until Pop finds someone to replace Mason, theres not a whole hell of a lot Pop can do for the remainder of this season. Hairston, like TD 21 posted earlier in this thread, is more of a SF than SG and other than Ginoboli, and Hill, Mason is that guy next in line. Pop did a admirable job trying to pump up Mason, but Mason choked. Its up to Mason now to get over his shooting funk. I personally don't see Mason back next year.

toki9
03-11-2010, 06:48 PM
I think coaches (especially Pop) get enamored with percentages and statistics sometimes. Pop reportedly even told Mason, I believe before the last shot against the Cavs, "The percentages are with you."

I think this was more of Pop trying to rebuild Mason's confidence than anything else...in the long run, the Spurs need Mason's long range shooting and right now the guy's pretty broken...it could be that this was Pop's way of trying to reconstruct the guy, by showing him that the coach has confidence in him in the clutch (not that Pop really has any confidence in the guy...it's just that he doesn't have much of a choice in the long run...)

Spurs Brazil
03-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Mason doesn't play well since january of 2009, more than a year.

This guy is a scrub

raspsa
03-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Funny thing with shooters .. they can get into and out of slumps rather quickly ..

Dex
03-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I think this was more of Pop trying to rebuild Mason's confidence than anything else...in the long run, the Spurs need Mason's long range shooting and right now the guy's pretty broken...it could be that this was Pop's way of trying to reconstruct the guy, by showing him that the coach has confidence in him in the clutch (not that Pop really has any confidence in the guy...it's just that he doesn't have much of a choice in the long run...)

Saying something like that to pump up your player is fine. Player morale is one of the coach's responsibilities.

Leaning on that same theory to draw up the game winning shot for your 0-8 shooter is sketchy, at best.

Most teams go to their hot guy when they need a basket, and they drew it up for the coldest guy on the floor?

I'm all for getting Mason more confidence; despite his struggles I think he could still be a key piece. But not at the cost of winning games.

kobyz
03-11-2010, 08:21 PM
i dont know if to laugh or to cry at many Spurs fans who prefer Mason over Salmons just not long ago!

barbacoataco
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM

While I normally agree with this theory throughout the game, percentages go out the window in the clutch. Players are tired, pressure is higher, defenses are changing, and the thought of all your makes and misses before that big shot are riding in the back of your mind.

Yes, with Mason having gone 0-8, he was definitely due for a make. Percentage-wise, he was due for a few. But all that doesn't help a player at all when he just can't feel the right stroke, or is over-adjusting for all of the other shots that have bricked or rimmed out.

It also doesn't help a player when you know you haven't made a shot all afternoon, and suddenly you know the big shot is coming your way. It's hard to turn off that doubt. Even when Mason was hitting his game winners, they usually weren't drawn up for him, which I think benefits a streaky shooter (as they are shooting on instinct).

The games make the percentages. The percentages do not make the games.

Great post!! There are so many different factors that if you change any one of them, the percentages change. Because no percentage accounts for all the factors, including the ones you mentioned like player fatigue, changing defensive schemes, "momentum" etc.

toki9
03-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Saying something like that to pump up your player is fine. Player morale is one of the coach's responsibilities.

Leaning on that same theory to draw up the game winning shot for your 0-8 shooter is sketchy, at best.

Most teams go to their hot guy when they need a basket, and they drew it up for the coldest guy on the floor?

I'm all for getting Mason more confidence; despite his struggles I think he could still be a key piece. But not at the cost of winning games.

I agree with you. But I think this is another case of Pop focusing on the long-term view over the immediate goal of winning a game. Based on Pop's past behavior/attitudes, it seems like he probably thought it was worth the risk of losing a game if it meant Mason starts shooting better. Me, I'd have gone with the hottest (and the clutchiest) guy you have, but I'd prefer winning every game you can. I'm short-sighted that way. ;-)

spurtech09
03-12-2010, 12:53 AM
mason is just missing shots in purpose ....should of traded him

Johnny RIngo
03-12-2010, 01:12 AM
i dont know if to laugh or to cry at many Spurs fans who prefer Mason over Salmons just not long ago!

There was a lot of Spurs fans that preferred Jefferson over Sjax too. Most have come around but only after RJ proved to be a failure.

Manudo Flopo
03-12-2010, 01:13 AM
you all suck fuckers!

timtonymanu
03-12-2010, 01:14 AM
you all suck fuckers!

shouldnt you be asleep? It's past your bedtime.

quentin_compson
03-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Well, it's too bad Mason Jr. can't buy a bucket lately, because he could really help the team by knocking down some threes. Finley's gone, Bogans has an on/off-relationship with the basket, and Bonner's just starting to hit from downtown again (hopefully, it'll continue).

So, unless Manu really has turned the corner shooting-wise, there could be a shortage of guys who can shoot the three (I have to admit I was surprised that George is shooting 40 % from downtown; I'd have thought it to be a couple of percentage points below that).

spurtech09
03-12-2010, 11:59 PM
mason finally hit a shot tonight :)keep your head up mas!!!!

BillMc
03-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Until Pop finds someone to replace Mason, theres not a whole hell of a lot Pop can do for the remainder of this season. Hairston, like TD 21 posted earlier in this thread, is more of a SF than SG and other than Ginoboli, and Hill, Mason is that guy next in line. Pop did a admirable job trying to pump up Mason, but Mason choked. Its up to Mason now to get over his shooting funk. I personally don't see Mason back next year.

All true.

Mason's streaky. Maybe this cold streak now will be balanced out by a hot streak in the playoffs. (We can hope at least.)

Obstructed_View
03-13-2010, 02:47 AM
All true.

Mason's streaky. Maybe this cold streak now will be balanced out by a hot streak in the playoffs. (We can hope at least.)

Ray Allen went through a brutal shooting streak last year or the year before. When you know a guy can shoot, the only way to ensure that he comes out of it is to let him keep shooting.

manufan4life
03-13-2010, 04:10 AM
mason is just missing shots in purpose ....should of traded him

i have noticed, that mason has been missing all his shots on purpose too, when he complanied that he wanted to play, pop would never play him. and now that tony is out pop is giving him more minutes but in his stupid mind he is telling pop "fuck you now that you need me you expect me to help you so screw you. i will keep missing my shots and i refuse to bail you out." he never played him when he wanted to play. so he is giving pop a big fuck you. he wants to get pop back so fuck him too

mingus
03-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Mason's bad shooting has made him look like like a dleaguer. he's so poor in every other aspect of the game. at least ray allen is a respectable defender.

the Bogans-RMJ-Hariston spot will be decided more on who is scuking less than who is playing good because, let's be honest here, THEY ALL SUCK ASS.

the Spurs should've resigned Bowen to keep playing that role. i'd much rather have him than any of those guys.

BillMc
03-13-2010, 05:18 AM
i have noticed, that mason has been missing all his shots on purpose too, when he complanied that he wanted to play, pop would never play him. and now that tony is out pop is giving him more minutes but in his stupid mind he is telling pop "fuck you now that you need me you expect me to help you so screw you. i will keep missing my shots and i refuse to bail you out." he never played him when he wanted to play. so he is giving pop a big fuck you. he wants to get pop back so fuck him too

Sorry can't agree with you. He's playing for his next contract on his next team, no way he's deliberately trying to miss shots. Even if he were PO'ed at Pop, all it does is cost him money, possibly millions.

ss1986v2
03-13-2010, 05:31 AM

hes playing for his next contract. no way mason would sacrifice his livelihood over something so petty.

TDMVPDPOY
03-13-2010, 06:29 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/rups1e.gif

all_heart
03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't see how he can keep missing that much. Pros' aren't' supposed to be that bad for so long. He's history after this season, no way the Spurs keep him.

superbigtime
03-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Mason is terrible. I thought maybe starting him would help him but he is clearly in the toilet. Hopefully Cedric Jackson will take the bulk of his minutes. Limit Mason to maybe 5 minutes and please no more game determining shots for the iciest player and shooter on the team; I just cannot comprehend that. Pop keeps mind-fucking this team. What a shame Manu's performance was wastetd the other night.

TJastal
03-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Roger Mason last night in just 16 minutes of action

11pts, 4 reb, 3 ast (should have been 4), 0 turnovers.

With 40 minutes, he's logging a triple double. :wow

I've got this thread bookmarked so when Roger comes through for the spurs in the big games coming up I'm going to be bumping it. Often. :)

Spurs Brazil
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Roger Mason last night in just 16 minutes of action

11pts, 4 reb, 3 ast (should have been 4), 0 turnovers.

With 40 minutes, he's logging a triple double. :wow

I've got this thread bookmarked so when Roger comes through for the spurs in the big games coming up I'm going to be bumping it. Often. :)

I'll bump it for you

4 minutes and -10 against the Heat. He fucked all the good play

Mason is one of the worst players that ever put a Spurs uniform

TIMMYD!
03-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Yes, he's blown this year but you can't say he's the worst.

Libri
03-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I'll bump it for you

4 minutes and -10 against the Heat. He fucked all the good play

Mason is one of the worst players that ever put a Spurs uniform

I see a -14.