PDA

View Full Version : Jawad Williams...

ElNono
03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
... took our centerpiece for a spin! dayum!

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
LOL @ the Centerpiece having the worst +/- on the team, as usual..he has by far the worst +/- for the season overall, so just another day at the office for Mr. Bulldog..

wildbill2u
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I was just watching the highlights as they interviewed Jawad Williams. Bogans kept playing off of him as though the guy was a lightning quick guard. Williams just kept going up for uncontested jumpers. Bogan's defense Made no sense to me.

nkdlunch
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I am officialy on the church of Hate Bogans

ShoogarBear
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Jawad turned The Centerpiece into a Lazy Susan.

benefactor
03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
You people are stupid. How can you criticize the man who sets our defensive tone?

Blackjack
03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
To be fair to "The Bulldog", Juwad (a one-time Spur) is pretty tall.:hat

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
What amazes me, besides Jawad's unexpected performance, was the Cavs fielded a 3rd qtr lineup of 2 athletic 4's - Williams and Hickson. The Spurs were helpless to respond. Again, exposing the deficiencies in the roster talent in defending those kinds of players.

And yes, Williams shredded Bogans with those perimeter shots.

ElNono
03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Give Mike Brown some credit too... he kept going to the same play over and over again...

it's me
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Pop can put his Centerpiece up his center hole...........

spurs1990
03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Ya'll know Jawad was with the Spurs in 2005 training camp?

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Ya'll know Jawad was with the Spurs in 2005 training camp?

Which makes sense as to why he's with Cleveland now. Funny how other teams can sometime renovate and utlize some of the Spurs garbage.

cheguevara
03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
as soon as I saw this scrub score 10 pts in 2 minutes I knew the game was lost for Spurs.

TD 21
03-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Perfect example about how size matters. Did Bogans defend Williams poorly? Absolutely not. But at the end of the day, it's 6-9 vs 6-5 and 6-9 is always going to be able to get his shot off over 6-5, no matter how good the defense is.

This organization never learns. They've been getting progressively smaller for years now and continue to do nothing about it. Since they want to be an elite team again, maybe they should look at what other elite teams possess or better yet, what they used to possess: size.

Pop can stress defense all he wants, the reality is this team isn't built to be an elite defensive team and on top of that, he frequently plays lineups not conducive to being good defensively.

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Perfect example about how size matters. Did Bogans defend Williams poorly? Absolutely not. But at the end of the day, it's 6-9 vs 6-5 and 6-9 is always going to be able to get his shot off over 6-5, no matter how good the defense is.

This organization never learns. They've been getting progressively smaller for years now and continue to do nothing about it. Since they want to be an elite team again, maybe they should look at what other elite teams possess or better yet, what they used to possess: size.

Pop can stress defense all he wants, the reality is this team isn't built to be an elite defensive team and on top of that, he frequently plays lineups not conducive to being good defensively.

Since 2006 and the dawn of small-ball, Pop has acted like he's allergic to players with size. During that period, one would think he would've bumped up the athleticism and quickness needed to play that style, but he didn't even do that. Just a shit load of spot-up shooters and over-the-hill backcourt players.

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't think Centerpiece played good D, he didn't contest 3 of the 4 shots Williams took on him, instead trying to get the swipe and playing him for the drive like wildbill said..but I do agree that the Spurs desperately need size everywhere..

Well Jefferson was supposed to be the "long SF" for D, which was a huge gamble, and it didn't work out..RJ was a horrible defender for the 2 previous seasons, but he was a good defender in NJ..he doesn't have lateral quickness anymore though, and he has too many bad habits at this point..

Bogans' size is an issue, but so is the fact that he has no athleticism or lateral quickness at all..his strength is his only asset defensively..those types of guys should be 11th or 12th men that can occasionally come in to play 5 minutes or so due to foul trouble..

A long 3 should be the draft priority IMO..

The Spurs need to look for athleticism and length..not only on the perimeter, but inside too..

TJastal
03-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I was just watching the highlights as they interviewed Jawad Williams. Bogans kept playing off of him as though the guy was a lightning quick guard. Williams just kept going up for uncontested jumpers. Bogan's defense Made no sense to me.

That's all there is to Bogans' defense basically; he really can't contest anybody's shot so he just stays in front of his man and takes swipes at the ball on penetration. Anybody who can shoot a jumpshot can make him look silly.

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 11:24 PM
That's part of the problem - Pop actually thought he was going to present a defensive advantage. Not sure why he thought that.

TJastal
03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Pop can put his Centerpiece up his center hole...........

:lol

ShoogarBear
03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
That's part of the problem - Pop actually thought he was going to present a defensive advantage. Not sure why he thought that.

I think he was getting advice on decided schematic advantages from Charlie Weis.

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't think Centerpiece played good D, he didn't contest 3 of the 4 shots Williams took on him, instead trying to get the swipe and playing him for the drive like wildbill said..but I do agree that the Spurs desperately need size everywhere..

Well Jefferson was supposed to be the "long SF" for D, which was a huge gamble, and it didn't work out..RJ was a horrible defender for the 2 previous seasons, but he was a good defender in NJ..he doesn't have lateral quickness anymore though, and he has too many bad habits at this point..

Bogans' size is an issue, but so is the fact that he has no athleticism or lateral quickness at all..his strength is his only asset defensively..those types of guys should be 11th or 12th men that can occasionally come in to play 5 minutes or so due to foul trouble..

A long 3 should be the draft priority IMO..

The Spurs need to look for athleticism and length..not only on the perimeter, but inside too..

The Spurs should have traded for Tyrus Thomas this deadline. I was very disappointed when they didn't, although I also like him in Charlotte.

He'd be more valuable to them than 2 first round picks. He's exactly what they need next to the current Duncan + can be used to defend big swingmen when needed + gives them a decent smallball line-up.

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2010, 11:34 PM
The Spurs should have traded for Tyrus Thomas this deadline. I was very disappointed when they didn't, although I also like him in Charlotte.

He'd be more valuable to them than 2 first round picks. He's exactly what they need next to the current Duncan + can be used to defend big swingmen when needed + gives them a decent smallball line-up.

I was one of the many here that wanted the deal, and I was very willing to see the Spurs give up a 1st round pick..Thomas is basically the same as a 1st round pick since he still has a lot of upside..shit, better than a 1st, he was a high lottery pick..it made too much sense though, I guess..

TD 21
03-08-2010, 11:47 PM
I was one of the many here that wanted the deal, and I was very willing to see the Spurs give up a 1st round pick..Thomas is basically the same as a 1st round pick since he still has a lot of upside..shit, better than a 1st, he was a high lottery pick..it made too much sense though, I guess..

As usual, you hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I was saying at the time. A Duncan-Thomas-Blair-Splitter front court could have been outstanding. I know none are three point shooters, but they could have brought in a bargain basket big (which they probably will anyway) like Cook to be the fifth big and fulfill that role.

This organization needs to stop with the hypocrisy, though. If they want to be a defensive team, then bring in defensive players and stop slapping together un-athletic, undersized, slow teams with no shot at being good defensively.

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I obviously can't read the front office's mind, but I really believe Splitter played a role in them not acquiring a guy like Thomas.

I was big proponent of Thomas and/or Salmons and I'm still disappointed they didn't pursue Tyrus as strongly as they should have (if the reports are to be believed). But given the questions of his character and his ability to be a "Spur"... I'm wondering if they were willing to take him on, knowing it wasn't going to net them a title this year, when it could have very well been something to dissuade Tiago from choosing to come over; it's been said that Splitter wanted some kind of guarantee for minutes or a starter's role in the past and adding a guy like Thomas when you've already got Duncan and Blair wouldn't be a great selling point for him.

So it could be that they believe they just chose Splitter over Thomas.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 01:01 AM
I obviously can't read the front office's mind, but I really believe Splitter played a role in them not acquiring a guy like Thomas.

I was big proponent of Thomas and/or Salmons and I'm still disappointed they didn't pursue Tyrus as strongly as they should have (if the reports are to be believed). But given the questions of his character and his ability to be a "Spur"... I'm wondering if they were willing to take him on, knowing it wasn't going to net them a title this year, when it could have very well been something to dissuade Tiago from choosing to come over; it's been said that Splitter wanted some kind of guarantee for minutes or a starter's role in the past and adding a guy like Thomas when you've already got Duncan and Blair wouldn't be a great selling point for him.

So it could be that they believe they just chose Splitter over Thomas.

And in the process sacrificed this entire year and there isn't even a guarantee that 1) Splitter won't pull a no-show and 2)Splitter will be any good.

Meanwhile, Thomas is proving to be every bit the defensive player on the bobcats as his stats in CHI bore him out to be

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Tyrus was exactly what the Spurs needed in terms of skill set to compliment Tim and overall youth and athleticism. There's no doubt about that.

There also wasn't any doubt, at least in my mind, that the team that got him was going to get a player on his best behavior and playing at his highest level possible; Thomas is out of guaranteed money.

But acquiring Thomas wouldn't have made this team a champion and the questions about whether he'll mature or be the player he's capable of are legit. And if the Spurs didn't view him as a better prospect or fit than Splitter (fit as in Spurs material; Thomas would be a much better fit with Tim, imo), than it'd be hard to justify essentially taking a flier on a player for next year that could cost you someone you hold in higher regard.

There's no guarantee Splitter will be coming over, and there's no guarantee he'll be anything more than serviceable at the NBA level. But the Spurs believe he'll be here next year (from the mouths of both RC and Lindsey) and not pursuing Thomas makes sense in the aforementioned scenario.

They just better hope they're not left standing at the altar (and that the Thomas-Splitter comparison is viewed in a favorable light a few years from now).

TD 21
03-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Tyrus was exactly what the Spurs needed in terms of skill set to compliment Tim and overall youth and athleticism. There's no doubt about that.

There also wasn't any doubt, at least in my mind, that the team that got him was going to get a player on his best behavior and playing at his highest level possible; Thomas is out of guaranteed money.

But acquiring Thomas wouldn't have made this team a champion and the questions about whether he'll mature or be the player he's capable of are legit. And if the Spurs didn't view him as a better prospect or fit than Splitter (fit as in Spurs material; Thomas would be a much better fit with Tim, imo), than it'd be hard to justify essentially taking a flier on a player for next year that could cost you someone you hold in higher regard.

There's no guarantee Splitter will be coming over, and there's no guarantee he'll be anything more than serviceable at the NBA level. But the Spurs believe he'll be here next year (from the mouths of both RC and Lindsey) and not pursuing Thomas makes sense in the aforementioned scenario.

They just better hope they're not left standing at the altar (and that the Thomas-Splitter comparison is viewed in a favorable light a few years from now).

Splitter better come, for the big three's sake, because next year is it. The lockout is looming the following season and even if it doesn't come to fruition, who knows what level those three, particularly Duncan and Ginobili, are playing at by then? So it has to be next season, Splitter has to come over (because there's probably no realistic big that the Spurs can acquire that's better and better suits their needs) and they have to find a credible wing stopper.

People will say "trade Jefferson", "trade McDyess", but they, particularly Jefferson, are more likely to be moved at the '11 trade deadline and even if the Spurs get a good return, they'll be the chemistry issue and limited time left to work out the kinks and look like a cohesive team. Honestly, barring something unforeseen, the Spurs are, if they're going to at all, going to have to get it done likely with those two in tow.

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 02:15 AM
No doubt; this championship window is only here by the grace of a couple of ping pong balls and only open as long as what they netted is still here (and playing at their prized level).

This whole thing is so up in the air and could go in so many ways, for better or worse, but I don't see how they improve their team enough to be a true contender if they lose Ginobili and Tim isn't a capable number-two offensively.

The Spurs are either going to have to get it done with a more balanced approach like the Pistons of '04 or somehow acquire a stud number-one and either way (finding the perfect complimentary players or getting their hands on a player to supplant one or two in the Big 3 pecking order) isn't going to be easy; nor highly probable.