PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Mahinmi is garbage

Pages : [1] 2

nkdlunch
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM
2 or 3 traveling calls??????

Pop laughing his ass off at him?????

he tries, he's a good guy. But that doesn't make him an NBA player. he's done and he never even started.

WalterBenitez
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Well at least he tried to

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
He had 1 travel and a moving screen..that was bad..

He altered multiple shots on D and got to the free throw line in his only other touch..

He never gets to play to get in a rhythm on the floor and he always has to have pressure on him because he doesn't get consistent minutes..

mexicanjunior
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Better to see him fail than let him walk not knowing...I think he at least deserves a leash as long as some of the other spares on this team (Bogans, Jefferson, Mason, etc.).

DPG21920
03-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Spur fan ladies and gentlemen.

nkdlunch
gimme a fucking break. He looked bad vs. Cavs D league. Anybody that calls for minutes for him, is an idiot.

boutons_deux
5 mins, 3 TO.

ElNono
Pop is laughing at all of us when his centerpiece is getting burned by jawad nobody and he sets up the last play to a 0-7 Mason... but yeah, you have a point about Ian. On the other hand, I much rather find some minutes on the rotation for Hairston when guys like RJ take 3 jumpers in a row...

nkdlunch
5 mins, 3 TO.

ShoogarBear
So then what about Blair?

celldweller
03-08-2010, 09:55 PM

he tries, he's a good guy. But that doesn't make him an NBA player. he's done and he never even started.

Yea your right, because he's had way too many chances to prove himself. :rolleyes

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Ian only had 2 turnovers, 1 of them was a moving screen and the other was a travel call..

The other turnover was clearly Roger Mason's fault, I can't believe they credited that TO to Ian..

Spurs Brazil
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
So then what about Blair?

I think it was the worst game of the season for Blair, he was terrible

I liked Ian D, but it's difficult to get some rhythm on O when you barely play

trajik dark
03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
He had 1 travel and a moving screen..that was bad..

He altered multiple shots on D and got to the free throw line in his only other touch..

He never gets to play to get in a rhythm on the floor and he always has to have pressure on him because he doesn't get consistent minutes..
agreed

trajik dark
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
plus roger was running point at the time

kobyz
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Mahinmi show tonight promise that if he would have got playing time he would be great to this team, all of his mistakes was for luck of playing time!

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
3yrs with the spurs and this is what he has shown us?

saviour my arse

nkdlunch
LMAO everytime Ian makes a mistake it's "bad luck"

he still makes about 1 mistake every 30 seconds

ShoogarBear

The point is, this was a lineup that Blair should have done well against, and he sucked. But I wouldn't take this game and extrapolate that Blair is garbage from it.

ElNono
03-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I thought he defended fairly well... I'll give you that much... and in nights like tonight, when Dice looks like a rotten corpse, I wouldn't be opposed to give him some minutes.
He's still largely raw though...

GooberNuts
03-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Hickson also made a few bad plays for the Cavs... I still think you have to give Mahinmi some time

Cane
03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Yup, Ian is simply a garbage minutes player if he's lucky especially on the Spurs. The mains things he contributes are lack of basketball IQ, fouls, and turnovers. He doesn't have a NBA-ready mindset, footwork, hands, or strength. Pretty unfortunate since the Spurs could use all the help they can get but its best if his role stays very limited. After injury his lateral quickness never looked the same either. In his opportunities he hasn't shown that he deserves substantial time against NBA players.

Never understood how this d-league project got so many forum fans...like a cult or something ;)

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I started watching in the third. Didn't realize he got PT. Someone please give me more details if you don't mind.

mexicanjunior
03-08-2010, 10:04 PM

More like lack of playing and development than "bad luck". Ian could have been making these mistakes early in the year and corrected them by this point of the season...this is all on Pop.

It's only March though...

http://www.randomdestination.com/members/mj/pics/lottery.JPG

alchemist
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM

can't talk bad about Jesus (Ian) like that.

DAF86
03-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Pop needs to start giving Ian and Malik at least 10/15 minutes per game each, it's the only thing that could keep me interested about the reminder of the Spurs' season.

timaios
03-08-2010, 10:06 PM

Obviously, you never played basketball in your life.
How is Ian supposed to learn the NBA game when he sees 1 or 2 minutes of games every months. It's ridiculous.
Give him 15-18 minutes, 10 games in a row and you'll see huge improvements.
He's already a better (and taller) defender than Blair.

Pop is using him in the worst way possible.

Creation88
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
why was this ever in question? he's an internet sensation, has not done shit on the court.

in2deep
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Ian had a good chance to have an impact on the 1st quarter. He pretty much made Pop blow a gasket by making silly mistakes. Yeah, he tried, but he made such silly mistakes, it was just embarrassing.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM

besides being tall, his shit compared to blair

your tellin me he this clown cant beat bonner, blair for minutes?

nkdlunch
03-08-2010, 10:09 PM
why was this ever in question? He's an internet sensation, has not done shit on the court.

+1000

Chomag
03-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Yep Ian is the only Spur to ever turn the ball over... :rolleyes

nkdlunch
03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Obviously, you never played basketball in your life.
How is Ian supposed to learn the NBA game when he sees 1 or 2 minutes of games every months. It's ridiculous.

have you ever heard of impressing your coach on practice???

u think NBA life starts and end in official games???

it's plain obvious Ian makes same mistakes in practice. U think Pop would purposefully laugh at him????

Jesus Christ. Wake up

Doe
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
He defended well, the Cavs only scored two points while he was on the floor. Prior to that the lane looked like a red carpet with the way our defense was playing.

Johnny RIngo
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
gimme a fucking break. He looked bad vs. Cavs D league. Anybody that calls for minutes for him, is an idiot.

SO you'd rather play Dice who's more or less finished as a player?

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I thought he defended fairly well... I'll give you that much... and in nights like tonight, when Dice looks like a rotten corpse, I wouldn't be opposed to give him some minutes.
He's still largely raw though...

He did defend well. He protected the rim well, too.

If the talent scouts on here want to bury him, then I guess they'll have to bury Dice and Blair along with him. And how about Duncan's poor, lazy performance?

Chomag
03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
They guy gets like 1 minutes every 30 or so games. Why so much hate for him I just don't know...

timaios
03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
07-08 = 22 min
09-10 = 62 min

So Ian played a great total of 84 min of basketball in his NBA entire career. How can you make improvements with that bs playing time. That's less than 2 games !

Edit : 84 min = 53 pts (17/27) 19/24 FT + 29 reb + 7 blk

Muser
03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Man, times like this I really miss 50.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2010, 10:19 PM
The fact of the matter is that both parties have an argument at this point, which makes Pop's handling of the Ian situation so fucking frustating.

Not one player on spurstalk.com or in Spurs fandom history has ONE FUCKING CLUE as to how Ian would react with two or three games (two or three games!) worth of starter's minutes in a row. Not one. And we never will. Because Pop is stubborn, and in a season in which we are fighting for our lives just to get eliminated in Round One again, we did not give our most promising prospect a REAL FUCKING CHANCE. If he travels three times in 1 minute, who fucking cares if he played a total of 6 minutes over twenty games?

This whole business makes me sick, and I've scoffed Pop before, but never as seriously and viscerally as I am scoffing him this season for his decisions.

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 10:19 PM

Blair's poor transition defense was the reason Pop inserted Ian in the first place. He and Hairston did a decent job defensively. Again, these guys already have a slim margin for error. At least appreciate how active they are and the effort they give. With more time, they'd be a lot better.

SpurNation
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Point is...this should have been a game that even a non starter or regular could have made some noise.

Fact is...that didn't happen.

alchemist
besides being tall, his shit compared to blair

your tellin me he this clown cant beat bonner, blair for minutes?
But isn't Blair a rookie? :wow

nkdlunch
07-08 = 22 min
09-10 = 62 min

So Ian played a great total of 84 min of basketball in his NBA entire career. How can you make improvements with that bs playing time. That's less than 2 games !

damn I don't know. I guess I am wrong. But I guess it doesn't matter. I will never be proven wrong as long as Pop is coach.

Hopefully Ian will fluorish in another system. or die a horrible NBA death

Dr. Gonzo
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
have you ever heard of impressing your coach on practice???

u think NBA life starts and end in official games???

it's plain obvious Ian makes same mistakes in practice. U think Pop would purposefully laugh at him????

Jesus Christ. Wake up

I've been saying this all along and according to the stupid fucks on this forum Pop doesn't know shit and practice means nothing. Ian is great and Pop is the reason he sucks.

That's pretty much how it goes.

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
The fact of the matter is that both parties have an argument at this point, which makes Pop's handling of the Ian situation so fucking frustating.

Not one player on spurstalk.com or in Spurs fandom history has ONE FUCKING CLUE as to how Ian would react with two or three games (two or three games!) worth of starter's minutes in a row. Not one. And we never will. Because Pop is stubborn, and in a season in which we are fighting for our lives just to get eliminated in Round One again, we did not give our most promising prospect a REAL FUCKING CHANCE. If he travels three times in 1 minute, who fucking cares if he played a total of 6 minutes over twenty games?

This whole business makes me sick, and I've scoffed Pop before, but never as seriously and viscerally as I am scoffing him this season for his decisions.

Indeed his decisions are very frustrating. Decisions that have affected this season and could adversely affect next year too.

It's because there are no checks and balances with Pop. Being the Spurs answer to Red Auerbach, gives him free rein to do what he wants. When his decisions backfire, there is no one to call him on it.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM

well the spurs did stuck by him for 3 years while payin him a salary where he has shown nothing...

as a whole this season has been shit anyway...from pop down to the last man on the roster...

Crazymaddopeyo
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Yea your right, because he's had way too many chances to prove himself. :rolleyes

Blair had limited minutes in the beginning of the season and instantly proved himself, Ian has yet to do that. (Nets game doesn't count) I'm sure there is a reason Ian doesn't play. He probably performs just as horribly in practice.

nkdlunch
03-08-2010, 10:25 PM
blair had limited minutes in the beginning of the season and instantly proved himself, ian has yet to do that. (nets game doesn't count) i'm sure there is a reason ian doesn't play. He probably performs just as horribly in practice.

+ 1000

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
How the hell does anyone know what Ian does in practice? There have been no indications the guy is a terrible practice player. You guys are reaching now.

timaios
03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
And meanwhile... Bogans has all the playing time he wants ! :lmao:lmao:lmao

Dr. Gonzo
03-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I can't wait for this same conversation to go on next season about Splitter instead of Ian.

alchemist
Indeed his decisions are very frustrating. Decisions that have affected this season and could adversely affect next year too.

It's because there are no checks and balances with Pop. Being the Spurs answer to Red Auerbach, gives him free rein to do what he wants. When his decisions backfire, there is no one to call him on it.
I'm sure he decided to have Timmy playing at an All-Star level to start the season while having Manu playing timid and Tony injured. Or having Manu playing like an All-Star the second half while having Timmy playing like he's 50 and Tony injured.

When you guys admit that Pop hasn't had a full deck this season you'll rest better. :toast

Aggie Hoopsfan
If Ian could shoot the three ball at even a 30% clip he'd be out there getting Bonner's minutes night in and night out for good ol' coach Pop.

But as he can't, he's been rotting at the end of the bench and/or not getting developed in Austin.

cheguevara
Ian sucks. I wish ppl would face the facts, rather than resort to fantasy

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2010, 10:29 PM
I have never got mad at Pop for not playing a player the way I get mad at the way he handles Ian.

The reason is the costs we have sunk into the man.
Theres a difference from signing a Beno Udrih, playing him, then sitting him....and signing an Ian Mahinmi, putting him in your farm system for two years, being more than willing to play him for 1 year, then when he gets hurt, never playing him seriously again even when your paper thin in the front court.

The spurs also pay money to run the Toros and there is no sense in keeping onto Ian this long and doing jack shit with him. Trade his fucking ass when he's expiring if you've made your mind up and just want to let him walk.

We've seen scrub shit tacked onto trades time and time again. Don't tell me Ian could not have been tacked onto a trade.

Dr. Gonzo
03-08-2010, 10:29 PM
If Ian could shoot the three ball at even a 30% clip he'd be out there getting Bonner's minutes night in and night out for good ol' coach Pop.

But as he can't, he's been rotting at the end of the bench and/or not getting developed in Austin.

He would be getting schooled in the D league.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-08-2010, 10:30 PM

I was going to type up a reply, but this pretty much covers it.

You forgot to add the fact some team will give him some manageable deal this summer for like 2 million per year and we'll let him walk. And he'll develop into a rotation player for said team....

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
well the spurs did stuck by him for 3 years while payin him a salary where he has shown nothing...

as a whole this season has been shit anyway...from pop down to the last man on the roster...

How does one show anything when they've racked up about 80 minutes of PT in three years on this squad?

And please don't say he hasn't earned it. When shit like Finley, Bonner, Jefferson, Bogans, etc. gets trotted out for slaughter every night, damn straight Ian deserves some more burn.

kjhip1
03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
People here talking about how Ian is garbage obviously dont know the game of basketball...I'm not calling him a svaior but the guy gets 5 minutes out of the blue and you expect him to come in and dominate? The guy hussled on D and had 2 TOs that were clearly his fault....But if you play the game of basketball you know how hard it is to get in some kind of rhythm after not playing for an extended period of time.

meanwhile you have Roger Mason logging 1-10 from the field and RJ going 1-3 in 28 minutes...too long I've heard how spoiled some of you'll are...oh the Spurs aren't doing so hot so lets throw them under the bus...DIE HARD SPURS FAN, huh? Ian should get spot minutes to see what he has and after a set number of games then give an opiion...Its obvious both teams had to adjust to not having key players, but Cleveland just did better...By no means are we to give up..What I saw for 5 minutes was a guy who hussled his butt off on D...if anything he altered 3 shots while he was in..but dont come on here and proclaim how he is garbage. Post something that makes sense!

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Players as raw as Mahinmi don't benefit from being force feeded minutes. It doesn't help them and can be counterproductive.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
He would be getting schooled in the D league.

You just showed your ignorance if you think Ian would be getting schooled in DLeague. Might want to go check out his stats there, or watch some of his gametape sometime.

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
People here talking about how Ian is garbage obviously dont know the game of basketball...I'm not calling him a svaior but the guy gets 5 minutes out of the blue and you expect him to come in and dominate? The guy hussled on D and had 2 TOs that were clearly his fault....But if you play the game of basketball you know how hard it is to get in some kind of rhythm after not playing for an extended period of time.

meanwhile you have Roger Mason logging 1-10 from the field and RJ going 1-3 in 28 minutes...too long I've heard how spoiled some of you'll are...oh the Spurs aren't doing so hot so lets throw them under the bus...DIE HARD SPURS FAN, huh? Ian should get spot minutes to see what he has and after a set number of games then give an opiion...Its obvious both teams had to adjust to not having key players, but Cleveland just did better...By no means are we to give up..What I saw for 5 minutes was a guy who hussled his butt off on D...if anything he altered 3 shots while he was in..but dont come on here and proclaim how he is garbage. Post something that makes sense!

:tu :tu

cheguevara
03-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Players as raw as Mahinmi don't benefit from being force feeded minutes. It doesn't help them and can be counterproductive.

you realize you called Mahinmi raw and this is his 4th year in the league?

this is to show. It's not Ian's fault, but it's also not SPurs/Pop fault. Shit has just not worked out. It's time to move on for both parties.

and even then, Ian will still be a bust. 2 words: Kwame Brown.

Dr. Gonzo

Ian is garbage. It's the truth.

silverblk mystix
i can tell you that if you look at how bynum was handled by the lakers...and how pop has handled ian...it is pathetic to see...

bynum looked like an uncoordinated scrub a couple of seasons ago and remember he was even thrown under the bus by kobe....

but the lakers put him on the court for EXTENDED minutes---and even though he is still raw....he is a different player than two seasons ago...some nights he embarrasses established nba centers...but he was GIVEN A CHANCE...

we DON'T know anthing about Ian...except that he has length and hops....but he never gets minutes....one or two minutes to try and play PERFECTLY---or be yanked...it is a disgrace....

the worst part----is that THIS should have been discovered EARLY in the season...

now...the spurs are trying to make the playoffs so pop even has a reason to not waste too much time on ian...so ian is just an unfortunate mistake all around...

mistake in how he was handled....unfortunate stroke of bad luck with injuries and then a mistake to be playing for pop who can be brilliant----but can be the total opposite on any given day...

mogrovejo
Guys, the Spurs didn't pick up Ian's option. He's gone next season. Even if you believe that playing him would help his future development (it wouldn't), you'd just be helping other team.

TDMVPDPOY
I have never got mad at Pop for not playing a player the way I get mad at the way he handles Ian.

The reason is the costs we have sunk into the man.
Theres a difference from signing a Beno Udrih, playing him, then sitting him....and signing an Ian Mahinmi, putting him in your farm system for two years, being more than willing to play him for 1 year, then when he gets hurt, never playing him seriously again even when your paper thin in the front court.

The spurs also pay money to run the Toros and there is no sense in keeping onto Ian this long and doing jack shit with him. Trade his fucking ass when he's expiring if you've made your mind up and just want to let him walk.

We've seen scrub shit tacked onto trades time and time again. Don't tell me Ian could not have been tacked onto a trade.

+1

i never understand why they shipped beno out when he only had one shit series against the pistons in the finals, cause he couldnt bring the ball up halfcourt...and him being out of shape the following season, then bringing veterans like NVE who was favoured by pop over beno, then season after bringin MM again another veteran over Beno.

as for ian, the FO stuck by him with given opportunitie and he has shown jackshit, if he was on any other team he been cut from the roster and out of the nba.

Cant_Be_Faded
There are so many NBA teams out there right now that would love to have a 21 year old fast-as-shit bigman who can run the floor and alter shots. So fucking many. Not to be a dominant franchise player but just to BE A PLAYER. And we're not even letting Ian be a fucking player. Think of all the shit players this team has acquired the past five years. Big Dog. Chuck Ward. Nazr. Damon.
Pop let them all have a chance to find a groove.

The only player Pop shafted more was Alex Garcia. And you know what? We did not spend two fucking years developing him in our farm system.

cheguevara
03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
2 words!!!

Kwame Brown!

Dr. Gonzo
03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
You just showed your ignorance if you think Ian would be getting schooled in DLeague. Might want to go check out his stats there, or watch some of his gametape sometime.

Oh I'm sorry, let me rephrase....he would have a good game, sprain an ankle and be out for an entire season.

cheguevara
03-08-2010, 10:37 PM
+1

i never understand why they shipped beno out when he only had one shit series against the pistons in the finals, cause he couldnt bring the ball up halfcourt...

Jesus Christ. Championship teams don't give players 2 series to prove themselves. :rolles

HarlemHeat37
It's funny..

As I've said many times, there's a GOOD chance that Ian isn't a good player..I just don't understand how these people always judge him from playing 5 minutes in a game and being pulled..even when he doesn't play that bad, like tonight, they shit on him..

Have some of you never played organized basketball?..

He NEVER plays, how is he supposed to get in a rhythm playing basketball?..how is he supposed to learn the little things about the NBA if he doesn't play?..when your coach isn't giving you minutes and then he finally does, there is A LOT of pressure on you to perform, so everything you do is magnified..you think too much because you're scared to get pulled..

This team has A LOT of dead weight that have LONG leashes..so I find it comical that these people think he doesn't deserve a chance based on garbage minutes, while the other scrubs on this team get ample opportunity..

Flux451
I have an idea. Let's not play a guy with potential all year and throw him into a game with high intensity. These coming games against mediocre teams should be a real opportunity to see if IAn can hang, with appropriate PT. If he doesn't...I am with the OP.

cheguevara
03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
It's funny..

As I've said many times, there's a GOOD chance that Ian isn't a good player..I just don't understand how these people always judge him from playing 5 minutes in a game and being pulled..even when he doesn't play that bad, like tonight, they shit on him..

Have some of you never played organized basketball?..

He NEVER plays, how is he supposed to get in a rhythm playing basketball?..how is he supposed to learn the little things about the NBA if he doesn't play?..when your coach isn't giving you minutes and then he finally does, there is A LOT of pressure on you to perform, so everything you do is magnified..you think too much because you're scared to get pulled..

This team has A LOT of dead weight that have LONG leashes..so I find it comical that these people think he doesn't deserve a chance based on garbage minutes, while the other scrubs on this team get ample opportunity..

have you heard of NBA practice sessions?

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 10:39 PM
i can tell you that if you look at how bynum was handled by the lakers...and how pop has handled ian...it is pathetic to see...

bynum looked like an uncoordinated scrub a couple of seasons ago and remember he was even thrown under the bus by kobe....

but the lakers put him on the court for EXTENDED minutes---and even though he is still raw....he is a different player than two seasons ago...some nights he embarrasses established nba centers...but he was GIVEN A CHANCE...

we DON'T know anthing about Ian...except that he has length and hops....but he never gets minutes....one or two minutes to try and play PERFECTLY---or be yanked...it is a disgrace....

the worst part----is that THIS should have been discovered EARLY in the season...

now...the spurs are trying to make the playoffs so pop even has a reason to not waste too much time on ian...so ian is just an unfortunate mistake all around...

cant compare 2 teams when lakers were clearly rebuilding and force to play bynum with starters minute just like what the spurs did in 02 with parker and ginoboli when the team was rebuilding.

last 2-3 seasons spurs have been a contender, they have no time to sit around and see what rookies can do, its either you have what it takes or gtfo...

the only rookie mistake was letting beno go...

Dr. Gonzo
03-08-2010, 10:39 PM
have you heard of NBA practice sessions?

Those mean nothing because Pop is stupid.

kjhip1
03-08-2010, 10:40 PM
+1

i never understand why they shipped beno out when he only had one shit series against the pistons in the finals, cause he couldnt bring the ball up halfcourt...and him being out of shape the following season, then bringing veterans like NVE who was favoured by pop over beno, then season after bringin MM again another veteran over Beno.

as for ian, the FO stuck by him with given opportunity and he has shown jackshit, if he was on any other team he been cut from the roster and out of the nba.

I can only guess that he's been injury plagued most of his career..They tried developing him in the D league and then he got injured..I know they had to have seen something...as for Beno you have to remember as a point guard your sole purpose is to bring the ball up..granted it was the playoffs, but he had struggled handling the ball...its easier to keep a project big man who has athletism and height then to keep point guards who struggle with thier job of facilitating the offense..

mogrovejo
03-08-2010, 10:40 PM
you realize you called Mahinmi raw and this is his 4th year in the league?

this is to show. It's not Ian's fault, but it's also not SPurs/Pop fault. Shit has just not worked out. It's time to move on for both parties.

and even then, Ian will still be a bust. 2 words: Kwame Brown.

He was unlucky with all the injuries. I agree he needs a change of scenario. I don't agree he's necessarily a bust. He obviously will never be a quality starter, but an Amir Johnson kind of player he has potential to be.

I think he developed some bad habits that need to be broken before he gets serious playing time. Force feeding him minutes now would only reinforce those bad habits.

timaios
03-08-2010, 10:41 PM
NBA career stats of Ian Mahinmi per 36 min : 22.7 pts 12.4 reb 3 blk (+8.1/10.2 FT)
And he defends the rim...

That guy sucks really big time !

The bad, per 36 min : 3.4 to & 7.7 pf... All he needs is some playing time.

HarlemHeat37
The practice argument could be true, but none of us know..

Do you have a link?..

SenorSpur
Funny how Ian is considered garbage by the forum talent scouts today. However, these same forum scouts were absent when he went for 18 & 7 in a surprise run against the Nets several months back.

Say whatever you want, but there isn't another guy on the roster with his skills that can protect the rim and has the quickness to defend athletic frontline players. Again, no one is claiming the guy is a savior, but there's no way I'm convinced that he's the lost cause most are trying to make him out to be.

The bottom line is until any of us see him getting some regular burn, none of us are in a position to make a reasonable appraisal of him off a few measly minutes.

alchemist
cant compare 2 teams when lakers were clearly rebuilding and force to play bynum with starters minute just like what the spurs did in 02 with parker and ginoboli when the team was rebuilding.

last 2-3 seasons spurs have been a contender, they have no time to sit around and see what rookies can do, its either you have what it takes or gtfo...

:wakeup I don't think people get this.

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
And yeah, the Spurs are in a great position to give up on unproven, former first round picks because of all the young frontline talent they have in the pipeline. After all, that Splitter thing is working out great. :rolleyes

Doe
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Guys, the Spurs didn't pick up Ian's option. He's gone next season. Even if you believe that playing him would help his future development (it wouldn't), you'd just be helping other team.

This is it. It's laughable to think the Spurs didn't pick up his contract and aren't playing him so they can "hide" him and get him cheap next season. It would've been great to see him play serious minutes before it came time to pick up the option but oh well, that ship has sailed.

silverblk mystix
03-08-2010, 10:51 PM

the only rookie

...gotta disagree there...i am not so sure that the lakers were not just playing bynum because they were rebuilding---or because they had no other options...

they played him because of HIS POTENTIAL UPSIDE....

I cannot understand why it is so hard for the Pop to take a gamble on Ian...because , sure there will be growing pains,mistakes,etc...

but his POTENTIAL UPSIDE way override the mistakes....geez...even IF he isn't an all-star calibur player in the future----he can at least be a serviceable big---and a defensive anchor...

if pop really believes in his SYSTEM ---going by the CENTERPIECE bit about Bogans....then why isn't he trying to develop Ian in the D Rob mold??????

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2010, 10:51 PM
We will only talk in circles for this thread because we have no idea what Ian Mahinmi is capable of when given solid consistent minutes.

No idea.

Noone.

We are going to lose in the first round this season.
There is almost no doubt.
It's almost fact.

What harm is there in playing a young player that's been in your system for years a solid chance at proving himself? Three games...maybe five games....that's it.
If he's a joke, then we know he's a joke.
Where are we then? Exactly where we are now.

It's just silly to judge the development of a player you've invested so much money in, using the criteria of a Championship Team....when we are a one and done team in the playoffs. We are not championship contenders anymore, why not give the young guys a chance.

weebo
03-08-2010, 10:53 PM

Spurs are no longer contenders///the jury is still out on this guy because he hasn't proven whether he can handle the NBA game. In his limited time of action, Ian has shown the good and the bad. Pop really needs to get his head out of his ass with this one. He needs to give him a chance to either succeed or fail.

TJastal
03-08-2010, 10:57 PM
The stupid little mistakes Ian's making can be ironed out with a little confidence and actual PT in real games. Getting a few minutes here and there every 5 games isn't enough to do this.

What's sad are those minutes Pop was giving Ratliff earlier this year could have been going to Ian to help him develop. Where is Ratliff now? Oh right, not on the team. What a waste of a signing and a waste of valuable development time. Major fuck up by Popovich.

SenorSpur
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
The stupid little mistakes Ian's making can be ironed out with a little confidence and actual PT in real games. Getting a few minutes here and there every 5 games isn't enough to do this.

What's sad are those minutes Pop was giving Ratliff earlier this year could have been going to Ian to help him develop. Where is Ratliff now? Oh right, not on the team. What a waste of a signing and a waste of valuable development time. Major fuck up by Popovich.

The fact that LB is playing Ratliff in Charlotte makes Pop look even more like a dumb-ass. Ratliff isn't that fragile that he should've been on ice until the playoffs. If anything else, playing time during the regular season keeps the rust off.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
T

ratliff is gettin minutes on the bobcats and has done better since leavin the spurs.

ShoogarBear
03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
07-08 = 22 min
09-10 = 62 min

This is the point. I haven't heard one person yet say that Ian will be a great player, or even a solid player. Hell, there's probably a >50% chance he won't ever be anything more than bench fodder.

But if Ian had played two games and averaged 44 min, 26.5 points, 14.5 rebs, and 3.5 blocks, I damn sure guarantee everyone in here would be wanting to see more. Even if the two games were only against New Jersey and the Clippers.

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
That's the point..

The Ian supporters acknowledge that he might end up sucking, but we want to see him get a CHANCE, because we haven't seen him get a chance..

The Ian bashers say he sucks and doesn't deserve a chance based on limited minutes that he gets every 20 games or so..

angelbelow
03-08-2010, 11:38 PM
07-08 = 22 min
09-10 = 62 min

yea if you look at the big picture, he has produced. and his interior D is not horrible. certainly better than dice at this point.

superjames1992
03-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Right, we don't know anything. But the fact that he has only gotten 84 minutes in his NBA career is probably a good indication that he is not a very good player and/or does not fit in the Spurs' system. Pop and the organization see him in practice and know what he can and cannot do. Obviously, Pop feels that Bonner, Blair, and McDyess are better players than Ian so those guys get the playing time.

Ian would get minutes if he showed Pop that he deserved them. But he obviously hasn't, so he sits on the bench, just like other countless players do in the NBA.

A lot of you all are using the argument that he just needs minutes and he will get better. However, if he doesn't have what it takes, he won't get better. I mean, you couldn't throw me in an NBA game and expect me to improve into a formidable player.

Ian just isn't good enough, period. He's not going to play. He hasn't shown Pop what he needs to show him (And Blair has gotten plenty of PT as a rookie so the excuse that Pop likes to play old guys doesn't hold any weight).

And besides, Ian will probably be gone after this season, so there's no point in trying to develop him, anyways. We can get better players than Ian via the draft and/or trades.

We'll see if Ian gets signed by any NBA teams in the offseason or if he returns to play in Europe.

spurtech09
03-09-2010, 12:16 AM
guy haven't even played that much...give the guy a break

NFGIII
03-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by timaios http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4145705#post4145705)
07-08 = 22 min
09-10 = 62 min

^

This is the point. I haven't heard one person yet say that Ian will be a great player, or even a solid player. Hell, there's probably a >50% chance he won't ever be anything more than bench fodder.

But if Ian had played two games and averaged 44 min, 26.5 points, 14.5 rebs, and 3.5 blocks, I damn sure guarantee everyone in here would be wanting to see more. Even if the two games were only against New Jersey and the Clippers.

^

That's the point..

The Ian supporters acknowledge that he might end up sucking, but we want to see him get a CHANCE, because we haven't seen him get a chance..

The Ian bashers say he sucks and doesn't deserve a chance based on limited minutes that he gets every 20 games or so..

Ian: Maybe he will or maybe he wont be any type of contributing player in the NBA. BUT as pointed out above he hasn't gotten the chance to prove anything in this league. Garbage time and restricted minutes amount to just about nothing when evaluating a player's performace.

As HarlemHeat37 posed the questionin another post here - Have some of you never played organized basketball?.. he was trying to explain that in order to be productive you need to be playing on a consistent basis which will allow you to get into some kind of groove. Only then can you really evaluate what kind of player he will ultimately be. Remember that Ian was a #1 pick so the Spurs saw something in him to use their first round on him. Probably scouted him extensively so as to see him playing on a regular basis. Now he doesn't get those minutes and that's a shame.

Wouldn't it be both funny and yet sad for him to go to a bottom feeder team and get those minutes he can't here and produce something close to what he did in all those 84 minutes.

Imagine the meltdown here.

Obstructed_View
03-09-2010, 12:24 AM
How many points did the Cavs score when he and Hairston were on the floor? I've long said that he should be playing alongside Duncan so they never have to run an offensive play for him. Bogans makes more mistakes than any of the young guys, but he makes the kind that ignorant fans fail to see.

ginobili fan
03-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Ian sucks.

EricB
03-09-2010, 12:26 AM
The practice argument could be true, but none of us know..

Do you have a link?..

When they find that link, I'd like for the link to the "evidence its the Spurs fault they didn't trade Mason or get Thomas" link as well.

EricB
03-09-2010, 12:27 AM
I doubt most of the People here have even played http://www.bmigaming.com/Images/streetbasketball-II-compactarcadebasketballgame.jpg

All though I am sure to bring in 4 stuffed animals at Fiesta this year..

If you can win 4 animals on those rims at the fiesta, I'll give you 500 bucks.

Chieflion
03-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Who made this statement official? Anyone actually used the stamp? Must have looked like this.

http://www.armsdeal-vpo.co.za/cartoons/official_stamp.gif

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 12:29 AM
The Spurs were +2 with the Hairston-Mahinmi lineup..the Cavs went 0-5 from the field and 4 turnovers against Mason-Manu-Hairston-Bonner-Mahinmi..

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Right, we don't know anything. But the fact that he has only gotten 84 minutes in his NBA career is probably a good indication that he is not a very good player and/or does not fit in the Spurs' system. Pop and the organization see him in practice and know what he can and cannot do. Obviously, Pop feels that Bonner, Blair, and McDyess are better players than Ian so those guys get the playing time.

Fucking A. Yeah, Bonner and Bogans deserve their minutes...

Ian would get minutes if he showed Pop that he deserved them. But he obviously hasn't, so he sits on the bench, just like other countless players do in the NBA.

Ian doesn't get minutes because he can't shoot the three.

sabar
03-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Can't say if he is garbage or all-star yet, but he is most definitely raw. Unfortunately, he is gone after this season and too raw to contribute anything. I'd like to see him get play time so I can be entertained in a throwaway season, but not for some delusion of him turning things around.

Now Hairston on the other hand actually has fundamentals and potential for immediate returns.

jjktkk
03-09-2010, 02:05 AM
:rolleyes I'm sure all of the ST people on here that think Mahimni is a NBA player, will post on here next year and tell us what a great player Mahimni is becoming over in Europe, and with some more playing time he might even get a chance to start for his European team.

jag
03-09-2010, 02:16 AM

Obstructed_View
03-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Can't say if he is garbage or all-star yet, but he is most definitely raw. Unfortunately, he is gone after this season and too raw to contribute anything. I'd like to see him get play time so I can be entertained in a throwaway season, but not for some delusion of him turning things around.

Now Hairston on the other hand actually has fundamentals and potential for immediate returns.

He's not too raw to contribute on defense. He was, by far, the best defensive big on the floor against Cleveland.

jag
03-09-2010, 02:25 AM
I don't think Pop's a bad coach. I'm not calling for him to be fired. I don't think Ian is a superstar waiting in the wings.

What i do think: I think Pop's handling of the Ian situation is so extremely puzzling that i don't even see the reason why he hasnt just been released from the team. It makes no sense, whatsoever. I also think Pop's rotations have been a detriment to the team. He's got a team of new players and he's treating them like they're a bunch of seasoned vets in the Spurs system. He's mixing up their minutes with seemingly no rhyme or reason and acting like it shouldn't affect their games. Well...At this point, it's fairly obvious that no one has developed any kind of rhythm or hot streak.

jjktkk
03-09-2010, 03:58 AM
He's not too raw to contribute on defense. He was, by far, the best defensive big on the floor against Cleveland.

So basically Mahimni can be groomed to become a bigger version of Keith Bogans.

erikuff
03-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Has it every possibly occurred to anyone that we drafted a guy who just isnt what we were expecting and disappointed a little? Or do the Spurs never fail to get a decent or formidable player through the draft?
We should just move on and look for other young bigs who have similar skills and body, which is about half the other young bigs in the league.

G-Dawgg
03-09-2010, 04:05 AM
The Spurs don't have any more time to invest in Ian Mahinmi, he's had 5 years to prove he can do more than turn over the ball but he hasn't done it. What a waste of 5 years.. get that scrub off the team. Maybe eventually some time down the road he can become a player, but the Spurs can't afford to wait another 5 years and waste their time trying to groom him any longer.. he's the opposite of Tim Duncan all the athleticism in the world but zero basketball I.Q. and NO fundamental skills.

How about a nickname for him... The Big Non-Fundamental, The Big Waste, The Big T.O., The Big Waterboy, The Big-For-Nothing....

xellos88330
03-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Ians mistakes I don't consider bad luck. This is a pretty young guy who wants to play in the league. I believe that the kid will settle down once he is used to playing on the NBA stage, not riding the pine. The more he plays, the more it won't be a distraction. I think he needs to work on his mentality when he hits the court and try not to impress. Just play basketball.

timaios
03-09-2010, 04:59 AM
The Spurs don't have any more time to invest in Ian Mahinmi, he's had 5 years to prove he can do more than turn over the ball but he hasn't done it. What a waste of 5 years.. get that scrub off the team. Maybe eventually some time down the road he can become a player, but the Spurs can't afford to wait another 5 years and waste their time trying to groom him any longer.. he's the opposite of Tim Duncan all the athleticism in the world but zero basketball I.Q. and NO fundamental skills.

How about a nickname for him... The Big Non-Fundamental, The Big Waste, The Big T.O., The Big Waterboy, The Big-For-Nothing....

NBA career stats of Ian Mahinmi per 36 min : 22.7 pts 12.4 reb 3 blk (+8.1/10.2 FT)

ShoogarBear
03-09-2010, 06:08 AM
:rolleyes I'm sure all of the ST people on here that think Mahimni is a NBA player

Name one.

RIF.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 06:50 AM
The thing that doesn't make sense to me is if the plan all along was to dump Ratliff why did Pop sign him and play him for 3/4 of the year when those minutes could have been used to make an evaluation of Ian?

Not like he would have played alot, but I don't think it would have been too much to ask to give Ian those 8-10 minutes a game earlier in the year that Ratliff got plus maybe another 5 or so for 15-20 a game.

You simply can't judge him on a few scrap minutes every 5 games there is just no way a player can develop any kind of confidence or rhythym. And especially for a young player who has logged so few minutes in the nba.

Pop has kept Ian around for 5 years now through injuries and D league stints and now they are just going to unceremoniously dump him without hardly even playing him. It just makes so little sense.

objective
03-09-2010, 07:16 AM
I just re-watched the game twice and I don't see how any logical observer would come away thinking that Mahinmi was garbage or a scrub based on his 5 minutes.

Yeah, he had a legit moving screen (same was called on Hickson earlier), and a consistent travel call (same as Hickson later). And a pass behind him from Mason that was attributed to him in the turnover column.

But did anyone watch the rest of his time? He played defense. He contested shots helping his teammates. Hell, he played a better first half than McDyess did. McDyess's first half defense consisted of zero help and slow feet, helping guys get open looks for both dunks and three pointers while McDyess would do a little fist pump of frustration and mutter to himself.

And Mahinmi wasn't outhustled by Varajao. And Mahinmi at least tried to finish strong at the rim, something he really could be criticized for not doing enough of in the summer leagues and d-league after he got dropped on his ass in D-league a couple of times.

Maybe Spurs fans notions of big man defense has been corrupted by smallball.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 07:28 AM
I just re-watched the game twice and I don't see how any logical observer would come away thinking that Mahinmi was garbage or a scrub based on his 5 minutes.

Yeah, he had a legit moving screen (same was called on Hickson earlier), and a consistent travel call (same as Hickson later). And a pass behind him from Mason that was attributed to him in the turnover column.

But did anyone watch the rest of his time? He played defense. He contested shots helping his teammates. Hell, he played a better first half than McDyess did. McDyess's first half defense consisted of zero help and slow feet, helping guys get open looks for both dunks and three pointers while McDyess would do a little fist pump of frustration and mutter to himself.

And Mahinmi wasn't outhustled by Varajao. And Mahinmi at least tried to finish strong at the rim, something he really could be criticized for not doing enough of in the summer leagues and d-league after he got dropped on his ass in D-league a couple of times.

Maybe Spurs fans notions of big man defense has been corrupted by smallball.

+1

Ian plays hard and plays hungry. Same as Hairston. But neither gets the time of day from Poppycock.

Some moron (I think jjktkk) said he was a terribly fundamentally flawed player. Yet the guy always plays above average defense, sets great screens and is a good passer. The only time he gets into trouble is when he gets physical with his defense and the refs give him the rookie treatment. And when he gets the ball in the low post and gets a little over excited and travels. With a little PT his confidence would soar and he would relax and not travel with the ball so much. And the fouls would go down once the refs saw him a little more and gained some respect for him. Heck, I noticed even Bonner finally got some respect from the refs for the first time in his career last night.

objective
03-09-2010, 07:36 AM
+1

Ian plays hard and plays hungry. Same as Hairston. But neither gets the time of day from Poppycock.

Some moron (I think jjktkk) said he was a terribly fundamentally flawed player. Yet the guy always plays above average defense, sets great screens and is a good passer. The only time he gets into trouble is when he gets physical with his defense and the refs give him the rookie treatment. And when he gets the ball in the low post and gets a little over excited and travels. With a little PT his confidence would soar and he would relax and not travel with the ball so much. And the fouls would go down once the refs saw him a little more and gained some respect for him. Heck, I noticed even Bonner finally got some respect from the refs for the first time in his career last night.

I wouldn't say he sets great screens. He's gotten better, but too often he either makes less than zero contact and doesn't hinder the man at all or gets pinged for the moving screen. But he's okay, and shown he can get better.

furthermore, I just posted in the Hairston thread about his dunk that it looked to me on the replay like Hairston was open not only because Hickson was just standing around but because West went to block out Mahinmi after Ian got inside of Varajao.

He played better than McDyess in the first half who was just dragging his leg around like he was making a new Thriller video. Considering the defensive anchor role Mahinmi's performed against Houston and some again with the Cavs, he looks promising. I might go as far to say that's already better as a defensive center for the Spurs than Elson was.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't say he sets great screens. He's gotten better, but too often he either makes less than zero contact and doesn't hinder the man at all or gets pinged for the moving screen. But he's okay, and shown he can get better.

furthermore, I just posted in the Hairston thread about his dunk that it looked to me on the replay like Hairston was open not only because Hickson was just standing around but because West went to block out Mahinmi after Ian got inside of Varajao.

He played better than McDyess in the first half who was just dragging his leg around like he was making a new Thriller video. Considering the defensive anchor role Mahinmi's performed against Houston and some again with the Cavs, he looks promising. I might go as far to say that's already better as a defensive center for the Spurs than Elson was.

Yah, I thought of that right after I posted the comment about his nasty little screen that nearly knocked some cav out last night. :lol

You really can't fault him for that too much, though. Moving screens are one of the toughest calls to make for the officials, I still haven't figured out what exactly they consider a moving screen and and what is acceptable. It almost seems to be a judgement call that varies from ref to ref. So how far can your legs stick out for it to be considered a trip? Can you move your upper body into the player as he passes you? Both happen all the time with no call. And then of course if your a raw young player that looks the part (like Ian) they will ring you up every time.

It's one of those calls that you won't see for 3/4 of the game then all of a sudden the same thing will get called out of the blue.

galvatron3000
03-09-2010, 08:01 AM
5 minutes of play gets an entire Ian sucks thread, I'm trying out for the Spurs this summer to see how many thread I get about how bad I suck and shouldn't have tried out so when I have one good game I can have the ultimate compliment thread.

I take it you all missed his Nets performance as this game proves your point emphatically.

exstatic
03-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I can't wait for this same conversation to go on next season about Splitter instead of Ian.

Um, no. You see, Tiago is a basketball player. He's been playing pro/club ball of some sort longer than Ian has played any kind of ball. That's the real problem with Ian: he isn't a basketball player. He's just an athlete.

exstatic
03-09-2010, 08:25 AM
5 minutes of play gets an entire Ian sucks thread, I'm trying out for the Spurs this summer to see how many thread I get about how bad I suck and shouldn't have tried out so when I have one good game I can have the ultimate compliment thread.

I take it you all missed his Nets performance as this game proves your point emphatically.

:lmao @ Nets.

You do understand that they are making a run at history, and not in a good way, right? They may be the worst team IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA! They're not just a bad team, they're a bad team for the ages...

exstatic
03-09-2010, 08:27 AM
has it every possibly occurred to anyone that we drafted a guy who just isnt what we were expecting and disappointed a little? Or do the spurs never fail to get a decent or formidable player through the draft?
We should just move on and look for other young bigs who have similar skills and body, which is about half the other young bigs in the league.

+1

TJastal
03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Um, no. You see, Tiago is a basketball player. He's been playing pro/club ball of some sort longer than Ian has played any kind of ball. That's the real problem with Ian: he isn't a basketball player. He's just an athlete.

Uh, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Mahinmi

Mahinmi made his impression on international scouts at the 2004 Under-18 European Championships in Zaragoza, Spain. It was there that he first caught the attention of international scouts, including San Antonio Spurs scout Sam Presti. After playing with the French national team he signed his first contract with the club STB Le Havre (France). He played three seasons with Le Havre, averaging 9.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game in 2005–06.[2]

In the summer of 2006, he signed a contract to play for Pau Orthez in France's top professional league. He averaged 4.3 points and 3.2 rebounds in 12.7 minutes in the 2006–07 season, helping the team win the French Cup.

Obstructed_View
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
So basically Mahimni can be groomed to become a bigger version of Keith Bogans.

Mahinmi played better defense last night than Tim Duncan or Antonio McDyess.

Obstructed_View
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM

So you just don't watch him play for fear that it might threaten the opinion you married yourself to some time ago. When you dig in on an opinion, and you have to make ignorant statements like the above in order to convince yourself that you're right, what you do is let everyone else know that you either aren't paying attention or you're just willfully ignoring the facts. It's strange that you'd rather see the Spurs fail this season than take a chance that Mahinmi can contribute since he's the only person that can fill the role that the Spurs need the most in order to become a defensive team again.

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
When Antonio McDyess got into the first five-on-five scrimmage of training camp with his new teammates, he knew what to expect of most of the other big men.

Once he found himself matched up against Ian Mahinmi, however, he began to wonder about a youngster with uncommon size and athleticism.

“I said, ‘Oh, my goodness, this guy is good,'” McDyess said. “I wondered why I hadn't heard more about him. I love his game.”

“I think this is really my first real chance,” he said. “My rookie year, I knew I was going to go to the D-League, so this year is my first chance, and I'm finally feeling good physically.”

“Seriously, I don't expect anything,” he said. “I just take what they give me. Sure, I'm going to get to play, but I don't expect 30, 35 minutes. I do know they're going to play me. I know they're going to try to see what I can bring to the team.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
(puts on Popsucker mask)

What does McDyess know, he's hardly been around the league very long. He's an idiot anyway. Mahinmi sucks, he's practice fodder at best. Pop knows best, he sees the practices you see. You should listen to Pop he's a HOF coach with 4 rings, faggot he knows more than u chump

(takes off mask)

pad300
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
07-08 = 22 min
09-10 = 62 min

As a scoreboard check. The first ~90 minutes of some big men's careers

Ian Mahinmi 90 minutes, 54 pts, 30 Reb, 7 Blk, 19 PF, 11 TO

Mystery Big #1 86 minutes, 37 pts, 24 reb, 2 blk, 9 pf, 5 TO
Mystery Big #2 91 minutes, 17 pts, 25 reb, 10 blk, 11 pf, 2 TO
Mystery Big #3 92 minutes, 42 pts, 22 reb, 6 blk, 19 PF, 4 TO
Mystery Big #4 90 minutes, 23 pts, 23 rebs, 0 blk, 13 PF, 2 TO
Mystery Big #5 85 minutes, 45 pts, 33 rebs, 8 blk, 6 PF, 6 TO
Mystery Big #6 93 Minutes, 33 pts, 29 rebs, 8 Blk, 13 PF, 5 TO

The Mystery Bigs : Jermaine O'neal, Andrew Bynum, Anderson Varejao, Fransico Elson, Dikembe Mutumbo, Chris Andersen

More points (and associated offensive load) than any of them. He's out-rebounded by Dikembe - that's good company. He's a middle of the pack shotblocker. He's tied for the lead on PF, but I'd like to see how many of those are offensive, coming from him taking offensive load, and he leads the pack on TO's. Again, I'd like to see how many of those are a) Warranted - for example, he got one that should have gone to Mason last night, and b) How many are coming from taking the offensive load...

I really don't think he looks bad enough to dump...

SenorSpur
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Again, we don't know exactly what Ian will be. Although it's should be obvious, even to the ill-informed, that he's got something. Perhaps he could help stop some of the bleeding along the frontline, but we wont know from the bench. He certainly is worth a longer look than what he's gotten. No one can tell anything from 5 min stints, on a once-a-month basis.

If the Spurs make the ridiculous decision to let this guy walk, let's see how fast Danny Ferry or Sam Presti pick him up. Think Ian would be a perfect fit for a young, already-athletic, OKC team that doesn't have a low-post center? If it does happen, it will be Pop's biggest folly.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 02:22 PM

The Mystery Bigs : Jermaine O'neal, Andrew Bynum, Anderson Varejao, Fransico Elson, Dikembe Mutumbo, Chris Andersen

More points (and associated offensive load) than any of them. He's out-rebounded by Dikembe - that's good company. He's a middle of the pack shotblocker. He's tied for the lead on PF, but I'd like to see how many of those are offensive, coming from him taking offensive load, and he leads the pack on TO's. Again, I'd like to see how many of those are a) Warranted - for example, he got one that should have gone to Mason last night, and b) How many are coming from taking the offensive load...

You know its those 4-5 extra turnovers from the rest of that list of players that probably has doomed him with Pop and his legion of popsucker clowns. You can't make mental mistakes or you are branded a low IQ piece of trash indefenitely from that point on, not worthy of the PT to make improvements.

Great analysis btw, very telling that Ian is brimming with potential.

SenorSpur
03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
You know its those 4-5 extra turnovers from the rest of that list of players that probably has doomed him with Pop and his legion of popsucker clowns. You can't make mental mistakes or you are branded a low IQ piece of trash indefenitely from that point on, not worthy of the PT to make improvements.

Ian has the type of potential that the coach seemingly doesn't have time or desire to tap into. If the decision to bring Dice aboard would've worked out, it would have been very easy to overlook this. However with Dice looking like the PF version of Finley, it makes the coach's decision to keep Ian on the bench for practically the entire season, a very stupid one. The issue of the Spurs not picking up his option, only compounds the matter alltogether.

Stand
03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
If the Spurs make the ridiculous decision to let this guy walk, let's see how fast Danny Ferry or Sam Presti pick him up. Think Ian would be a perfect fit for a young, already-athletic, OKC team that doesn't have a low-post center? If it does happen, it will be Pop's biggest folly.

I can definitely see some people eating crow if Presti steals Ian from us.

nkdlunch
03-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Jesus, after 3 years ppl are still talking about Ian's "potential" :rolleyes

his carrer is a failure. time to face it and move on.

jjktkk
03-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Great analysis btw, very telling that Ian is brimming with potential.[/QUOTE]

Yep ole Mahimni is about to complete his 5th season since being drafted, 5th!!!, and yes he is brimming with potential, just not showcasing his potential. How long does a prospect need for the light to come on? Why is it that only certain ST forum members scream for Pop to play Mahimni more? Every day I read several NBA websites on-line, watch ESPN,NBA TV, TNT on THursday, and not once have I ever read that or heard on TV, that the Spurs need to insert Mahimni into the lineup. Never heard or read that Pop is making a mistake by not playing Mahimni. These NBA people on-line and on TV, are by most account, respected NBA analists, but I have never heard anyone say one thing about Mahimni. So the bottom line is whose opinion should you value more? The national media, which includes NBA reporters, NBA scouts, NBA analists, who are former NBA coaches and NBA players, or a certain group of Spurs fans just getting their 2 cents in?

TJastal
03-09-2010, 03:19 PM

Yep ole Mahimni is about to complete his 5th season since being drafted, 5th!!!, and yes he is brimming with potential, just not showcasing his potential. How long does a prospect need for the light to come on? Why is it that only certain ST forum members scream for Pop to play Mahimni more? Every day I read several NBA websites on-line, watch ESPN,NBA TV, TNT on THursday, and not once have I ever read that or heard on TV, that the Spurs need to insert Mahimni into the lineup. Never heard or read that Pop is making a mistake by not playing Mahimni. These NBA people on-line and on TV, are by most account, respected NBA analists, but I have never heard anyone say one thing about Mahimni. So the bottom line is whose opinion should you value more? The national media, which includes NBA reporters, NBA scouts, NBA analists, who are former NBA coaches and NBA players, or a certain group of Spurs fans just getting their 2 cents in?[/QUOTE]

Dude don't believe everything you read from ESPN. I always take everything there with a grain of salt.

The stats Ian has produced so far being similar to some really good players in the league (past and present) should tell you there is something there that demands another extended look. And he's put up these stats in what is likely much more difficult circumstances (like minutes spread out of years instead of a solid block of games:lol)

tp2021
03-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Jesus, after 3 years ppl are still talking about Ian's "potential" :rolleyes

his carrer is a failure. time to face it and move on.

What a retard. Not like he's been given a chance to play and turn the potential into success.

3 years of sitting on the bench means his career is over? It hasn't even began yet. Really, you just come off like a total idiot here.

You sound like TPark

SenorSpur
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
What a retard. Not like he's been given a chance to play and turn the potential into success.

3 years of sitting on the bench means his career is over? It hasn't even began yet. Really, you just come off like a total idiot here.

You sound like TPark

Another voice of reason.

tp2021
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Every day I read several NBA websites on-line, watch ESPN,NBA TV, TNT on THursday, and not once have I ever read that or heard on TV, that the Spurs need to insert Mahimni into the lineup. Never heard or read that Pop is making a mistake by not playing Mahimni. These NBA people on-line and on TV, are by most account, respected NBA analists, but I have never heard anyone say one thing about Mahimni. So the bottom line is whose opinion should you value more? The national media, which includes NBA reporters, NBA scouts, NBA analists, who are former NBA coaches and NBA players, or a certain group of Spurs fans just getting their 2 cents in?

*facepalm*

anonoftheinternets
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
its very simple, who's minutes should he take? bonner is playing well, blair is playing well, and we paid mcdyess well, if we are going to win, mcdyess needs to step it up like 2005, a rookie is not going to perform well in teh PO. If this was a rebuilding year, obviously malik and ian would be seeing a lot more play time.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 03:41 PM

You sound like TPark

For some reason this post just made me bust out laughing uncontrollably.

:lol

galvatron3000
03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
:lmao @ Nets.

You do understand that they are making a run at history, and not in a good way, right? They may be the worst team IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA! They're not just a bad team, they're a bad team for the ages...

:lol you do know Ian played 5 minutes, right? You make a decision based on five minutes? Sometimes the critical thinking around here:ihit

spurs50_
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Just because Mahinimi doesn't play doesn't mean he sucks. Are we supposed to believe that because Bogans is a starter that he can play? We all know he sucks.

PDXSpursFan
03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
jesus, after 3 years ppl are still talking about ian's "potential" :rolleyes

his carrer is a failure. Time to face it and move on.

+1

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 04:37 PM
-He played in the D League and made the 1st team All-D League..

-He was hurt for the entire season last year..

-Now it's his 3rd actual year here and he hasn't gotten a chance to show what he can do..

Where exactly was he supposed to "prove" himself?..

G-Dawgg
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Ok buddy... now post how many fouls and turnovers PER MINUTE.. lol!

Face it, he's a project that the Spurs don't have time to cultivate unless they are throwing in the towel on the season. It is what it is, take it or leave it. He's not useful to the Spurs right now period. The things he does on the court don't make up for the errors, turnovers and the fouls. Anybody that thinks otherwise is just not thinking logically or they play too much NBA Live....

DaBears
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
If were basing all of this on minutes and getting in rhythm, How do you explain Jefferson the guy has played 20+ minutes a game in every game this seasopn and still hasnt found his rhythm.. And you'd expect a guy how gets a 30 seconds here or there to play well... Too me it looked like he had so much built up energy he could have jumped out the building... You can see he wants to do so much in that little time he gets, thats all thats happening there... I thought His "D" was pretty good altered 2 shots.. Sure he had 2 turn overs but he didnt take the ball up soft like TD either...

I think he really justs needs minutes, POP's is a wack coach should of played him more in this game.. Shit ought to play him more since this season is garbage and were not going any where...

Cav's are a 1-man team and we could not even beat them...
I think were going fishing......

The Truth #6
03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
He's played 82 minutes. That doesn't sound like much time to make an opinion. Given how mediocre many of our players are, it's just crazy he doesn't play.

Hairston doesn't play either - does that mean he's officially a bust also?

I can't see how anyone blindly trusts the coach's assessment of anything when Bogans is considered the "centerpiece" of the team.

I'd like to think Hairston/Ian playing last night was the harbinger of more to come, but it was probably motivation for Bogans and Bonner or something silly like that.

nkdlunch
03-09-2010, 05:19 PM

You sound like TPark

you seriously telling me he has not been given a legit chance????? Spurs kept him on the payroll eventhough he has been injury prone. They kept him on the team eventhough he obviously does not give Pop(or the rest of the coaching staff) confidence in the practice sessions. They even gave him chances, and he still shows the same errors he was making 3 years ago. :bang

Even TP had lost faith in him when he said last summer "I don't think Ian is gonna have a spot in the SPurs"

99.9% of SPurs staff(the professionals who are involved and get paychecks from the Spurs organization) is convinced Ian is a bust. Only homer blind Spur fans are clinging to the hope that yet Ian "might" become the next Amare

:lmao

wake up

Cane
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Face it, he's a project that the Spurs don't have time to cultivate unless they are throwing in the towel on the season. It is what it is, take it or leave it. He's not useful to the Spurs right now period. The things he does on the court don't make up for the errors, turnovers and the fouls.

Yea, that basically sums it up. Half his actions on the court look promising, the other half look like he still isn't ready for the NBA.

He wasn't resigned by the Spurs, no one wants him to log minutes (if Pop, Duncan, anyone important wanted him to play...he'd play), and in his opportunities he looks pretty damn raw. Beyond what fans see and hear; he's shown a lot more to the Spurs organization which includes his years in the dleague and how he's been playing behind the scenes. Says a lot that they don't want to play their multi-year project player after seeing what he's able to do especially given the Spurs struggles this year which includes the frontcourt.

nkdlunch
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
additionally have you homers noticed how other NBA teams are desperate to get Ian? seriously, do you really beleive Spurs got 1 phone call about Ian????

hell no

timaios
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Face it, he's a project that the Spurs don't have time to cultivate unless they are throwing in the towel on the season. It is what it is, take it or leave it. He's not useful to the Spurs right now period. The things he does on the court don't make up for the errors, turnovers and the fouls. Anybody that thinks otherwise is just not thinking logically or they play too much NBA Live....

Learn to read !

poop
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
we should sign Epic Beard Man for post defensive purposes

wildbill2u
03-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Jefferson made a dumb turnover for walking on the end of the fast break pass from Manu. Sometimes players are just our of position and off balance, no matter their experience or physical ability.

Mahinimi has physical ability and size but that always isn't enough. Barkley puts it best, "Deer can run and jump, but they can't play in the NBA"

That being said, Mahinmi seems to constistently have problems with basic basketball moves (like not walking) that most players learn in high school. He's so far behind his competition in this league that it may be impossible for him to ever develop into a rotation player on a decent team.

The Spurs have drafted or tradef for plenty of Big guys over the years who just couldn't make it. (Dwayne Schnitzius comes to mind first) And they had the advantage of high school and college careers where they could learn the basics.

jjktkk
03-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Obstructed_View, who is a Mahimnisucker and one of the few supporters of Mahimni on ST, is actually Mahimni's agent. :lol

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
OK, I'm a Ian supporter too, but comparing him to guys like Rodman and Amare is a massive stretch..

The Truth #6
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Obstructed_View, who is a Mahimnisucker and one of the few supporters of Mahimni on ST, is actually Mahimni's agent. :lol

There are plenty of Ian supporters. Most of them explain their opinion reasonably. Those that want to write him off after 82 minutes...not so much.

J Mack
03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
How the hell does anyone know what Ian does in practice? There have been no indications the guy is a terrible practice player. You guys are reaching now.
+ 1,000,000. who in the hell goes balls to the wall , all out in PRACTICE and risk injury?

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Rodman was a fucking all-NBA 1st team D and DPOY-caliber player in those years..

LakerHater
03-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Manu: A thief?

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/profile_images/88938/ats_big_tiny.jpg by Wayne Vore (ATS) on Mar 6, 2010 10:07 AM CST in Game Previews & Recaps
Did Manu Ginobili steal Ian's bucket? I think that is the big question from last night's Hornets game.
With 2:00 left in the game, Ian and Manu went up to rebound a missed Matt Bonner shot. The ball was tipped in and the PA announcer immediately wailed, "MANUUUUUUU GINOBILIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!'
Ian claims it was his tip and he wants his bucket. However, he wasn't getting any love from any of his teammates.

George Hill said if it Ian wanted it then he should have come out of the pile and claimed it as his right away. Manu, for his part, said he would donate it to UNICEF if it made Ian feel better.

J Mack
03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
i am i Ian supporter to the fact that i want to see him given REAL minutes and then evaluate him! i can tell alot of these ignorant posters never played organized anything in their lives !! :ihit

jag
03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
additionally have you homers noticed how other NBA teams are desperate to get Ian? seriously, do you really beleive Spurs got 1 phone call about Ian????

hell no

Did Ian bang your wife or something?

Are you genuinely averse to seeing this guy get 15 minutes a game?

A couple of months ago i wasn't a huge proponent of giving Hairston and Mahinmi heavy minutes. I was hoping the Spurs could develop some chemistry and build on that throughout the rest of the season. That obviously hasnt happened, and i see no reason to push this team to a second round exit. You play to win championships. This is not a championship team. Giving minutes to the young guys is not going to mess with the terrible chemistry in the current rotation.

I'd like to see guys like Hairston and Mahinmi get quality minutes to see if the Spurs have some pleasant surprises going into next season. Maybe Mahinmi gives the Spurs a reason to try and sign him in the offseason...

Either way, it allows those guys to develop and feel out the Spurs system. I don't see where the Spurs have anything to lose in doing this.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 01:40 AM

If I were Mahinmi's agent I wouldn't need to try to get him PT with the Spurs. He's going to get a really nice contract next year based on the performance against the Nets earlier this season. If he's just a deer with athletic ability, someone's going to pay him to find out if he can play. It's too bad the Spurs paid him while not finding out if he could play. It's too bad so many of you are so scared to death that he might be able to play that you're willing to overlook anything good he does or suggest that Richard Jefferson playing center with 4 guards is good basketball.

Blackjack
03-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Francisco Elson has a championship ring . . .

jjktkk
03-10-2010, 02:08 AM
If I were Mahinmi's agent I wouldn't need to try to get him PT with the Spurs. He's going to get a really nice contract next year based on the performance against the Nets earlier this season. If he's just a deer with athletic ability, someone's going to pay him to find out if he can play. It's too bad the Spurs paid him while not finding out if he could play. It's too bad so many of you are so scared to death that he might be able to play that you're willing to overlook anything good he does or suggest that Richard Jefferson playing center with 4 guards is good basketball.

Well hes a good guy and I hope he does land a good contract next year. Which country do you think? Greece, Italy, Spain?

nkdlunch
03-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Did Ian bang your wife or something?

Are you genuinely averse to seeing this guy get 15 minutes a game?

A couple of months ago i wasn't a huge proponent of giving Hairston and Mahinmi heavy minutes. I was hoping the Spurs could develop some chemistry and build on that throughout the rest of the season. That obviously hasnt happened, and i see no reason to push this team to a second round exit. You play to win championships. This is not a championship team. Giving minutes to the young guys is not going to mess with the terrible chemistry in the current rotation.

I'd like to see guys like Hairston and Mahinmi get quality minutes to see if the Spurs have some pleasant surprises going into next season. Maybe Mahinmi gives the Spurs a reason to try and sign him in the offseason...

Either way, it allows those guys to develop and feel out the Spurs system. I don't see where the Spurs have anything to lose in doing this.

here we go with the insults again. grow up kid.

Again, noone has answered the question, why doesn't Mahinmi impress in practice. Why isn't Buford screaming at Pop to play him? why haven't we heard any dissent in Spurs organization regarding Mahinmi??? (oh yeah, "pop is a dictator and everyone is afraid of him" :rolleyes :rolleyes)

its funny to think amateur posters on an internet forum that have seen Ian play for about 10 minutes think they have a better opinion on him than coaches and staff that see him play 24/7.

TJastal
03-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Again, noone has answered the question, why doesn't Mahinmi impress in practice. Why isn't Buford screaming at Pop to play him? why haven't we heard any dissent in Spurs organization regarding Mahinmi??? (oh yeah, "pop is a dictator and everyone is afraid of him" :rolleyes :rolleyes)

its funny to think amateur posters on an internet forum that have seen Ian play for about 10 minutes think they have a better opinion on him than coaches and staff that see him play 24/7.

Bro, we're not going by just what we've seen with our own eyes, facts have been posted about his statistics showing he is on par with the beginning of quite a few highly regarded players in the league today. And he's managed to do that getting sporadic minutes over a few years.

Nobody is saying it's a 100% certainty he is the next Dikembe Mutombo but even if there's the slightest chance the spurs owe it to themselves to find out once and for all by getting this guy an extended look.

It would have been nice if Popovich would have given him an extended look earlier this year, especially considering a decision on his option was looming and they planned on dumping Ratliff 2/3 of the way through the season anyway.

It's these types of illogical, nonsensical things that have many of us wondering WTF is going on with the management of the spurs.

dbestpro
03-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Maybe the questions should be, What impresses Pop in practice enough to play the guy? Is Bogans a practice demon? Are the other players who did not impress Pop in practice that have done well else where? The team hasn't really had intense practice sense October, so why does the assessment then limit him now when he shows productivity when he does play?

As far as internal dissent, the Spurs must be one bunch of happy campers because we never hear about their dissent. Or maybe, just maybe, they keep those kind of things quiet. Issues to play Mahinmi would be given the same accord.

Cane
03-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Maybe the questions should be, What impresses Pop in practice enough to play the guy? Is Bogans a practice demon? Are the other players who did not impress Pop in practice that have done well else where? The team hasn't really had intense practice sense October, so why does the assessment then limit him now when he shows productivity when he does play?

As far as internal dissent, the Spurs must be one bunch of happy campers because we never hear about their dissent. Or manybe, just maybe, they keep those kind of things quiet. Issues to play Mahinmi would be given the same accord.

Its not just practice and Pop; its his multiple years under the Spurs umbrella including the Toros.

As far as internal "dissent", that does happen . First example that comes to mind is when RJ came to Pop and requested to play SF instead of PF since...he's a SF.

Ian has had multiple years under the Spurs organization and still looks like a guy that won't cut it in the NBA and the stats and effort show it. He's too prone to turnovers, fouls, and just stupid mistakes. Sure, he has some promise, but he's basically what a lot of NBA wannabes are like: athletic but lacking in fundamentals, intangibles, and ability to play on the highest basketball level.

Spurs gave him multiple years but his injury, lack of progress, etc. have shown to be more disappointing than not - but at least he was a relatively inexpensive project. Says a lot that the Spurs, renowned for drafting and improving foreign talent, don't think that he's earned substantial minutes since he's been their project player AND the Spurs have been struggling this season including the frontcourt.

He's his own enemy. :depressed

MrFundamental
03-10-2010, 12:03 PM

That is extremely flawed because one could go find numerous similar numbers of big men that didn't come close to succeeding like those 6 (if you can even consider Elson's career a success).

He has similar first 90 stats to Jerome James (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesje01/gamelog/1999/), not exactly one of the greats.

MaNu4Tres
03-10-2010, 12:06 PM

You obviously aren't aware that the Spurs never have scrimmages, where players can show their true worth, during the course of the season. With days off in between games, Popovich has very light practices/shootarounds and prioritizes rest more than anything. So for you to say " Why doesn't Mahinmi impress in practice?" is just plain stupid..

And there are some people within the Spurs organization who are perplexed on how and why Mahinmi and Hairston aren't given a real opportunity.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 12:27 PM

The Spurs don't really practice during the season, but maybe Rasho and Nazr stopped impressing Pop in practice at the end of the 2006 regular season after a 63-19 record which prompted Pop to phase out both of them in the playoffs.

I guess Hairston didn't impress Pop in practice when he was really outplaying Keith Bogans during camp and pre-season.

I guess Bruce Bowen didn't impress Pop in practice last year when he was benched in favor of Finley.

It's funny to think people who claim to be Spurs fans wouldn't recognize the pattern of Pop replacing decent players with bad players and replacing big lineups with small lineups going back several years. I guess you guys have to use the "something we don't see" argument since the players you're bagging on show the ability to play during the tiny amount of playing time they're given.

barbacoataco
03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
I see 3 possible reasons why Mahinmi gets no playing time.
1. He really isn't that good.
2. Money. Since the Spurs didn't extend him, even if he plays good they would have to match offers at the end of the season.
3. They are waiting for Splitter who they think is a sure thing. So why waste a year developing Mahinmi when he would be replaced anyway?

TJastal
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM
You obviously aren't aware that the Spurs never have scrimmages, where players can show their true worth, during the course of the season. With days off in between games, Popovich has very light practices/shootarounds and prioritizes rest more than anything. So for you to say " Why doesn't Mahinmi impress in practice?" is just plain stupid..

And there are some people within the Spurs organization who are perplexed on how and why Mahinmi and Hairston aren't given a real opportunity.

Yah, we caught a glimpse of one of those "light practices" in which Matt Bonner was playing 'horse' with himself and going 1 vs 1 against an oar.

That must be why Ian failed to impress Pop because his over the backboard shooting was unrefined, resulting in multiple losses in 'pig' and 'horse'.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I see 3 possible reasons why Mahinmi gets no playing time.
1. He really isn't that good.
2. Money. Since the Spurs didn't extend him, even if he plays good they would have to match offers at the end of the season.
3. They are waiting for Splitter who they think is a sure thing. So why waste a year developing Mahinmi when he would be replaced anyway?

1. How do you know if you don't play him? When you do play him, he plays great defense, runs the floor and hustles.
2. Since the Spurs didn't extend him, he's gone. They're still paying him for this season. Should they sit Manu for the same reason?
3. At this rate, they'll have a lottery pick in the next couple of years. Why waste a year devloping anyone when they'll have a lottery pick to come in and ride the bench behind Keith Bogans?

nkdlunch
03-10-2010, 12:51 PM
right, after season starts Spurs NEVER have practices/scrimmages and NEVER evaluate players anymore :rolleyes

look, I'd love to be wrong and like some of you, beleive that IAN will once be a productive NBA center... but I also like to live in reality

timaios
03-10-2010, 12:57 PM
He's too prone to turnovers, fouls, and just stupid mistakes.

In the games where Ian played at least 10 min this year :

Jan 10 vs New Jersey 21 min 1 to
Jan 16 @ Memphis 14 min 0 to
Feb 26 @ Houston 10 min 1 to

And for the fouls, did you see the Blair stats ?

Blair games with at least 4 personnal fouls :

Oct 28 vs. NOH 23 min 4 PF
Oct 29 @ CHI 13 min 4 PF
Oct 31 vs. SAC 26 min 4 PF
Nov 09 vs. TOR 19 min 5 PF
Nov 11 vs. DAL 20 min 4 PF
Nov 23 vs. MIL 16 min 4 PF
Nov 27 @ HOU 10 min 5 PF
Dec 05 vs. DEN 13 min 4 PF
Dec 15 @ PHX 13 min 5 PF
Dec 26 @ MIL 26 min 5 PF
Dec 29 vs. MIN 24 min 4 PF
Jan 03 @ TOR 18 min 4 PF
Jan 13 @ OKC 31 min 6 PF
Jan 16 @ MEM 24 min 5 PF
Feb 04 @ POR 21 min 5 PF
Feb 08 @ LAL 18 min 4 PF
Feb 11 @ DEN 21 min 4 PF
Feb 17 @ IND 10 min 5 PF
Feb 24 vs. OKC 16 min 5 PF
Feb 26 @ HOU 18 min 6 PF
Mar 01 @ NOH 26 min 5 PF

So Blair has the right to make mistakes but not Mahinmi ?

The Truth #6
03-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Oct 29 @ CHI 13 min 4 PF
Nov 27 @ HOU 10 min 5 PF
Dec 15 @ PHX 13 min 5 PF
Dec 26 @ MIL 26 min 5 PF
Jan 03 @ TOR 18 min 4 PF
Jan 13 @ OKC 31 min 6 PF
Jan 16 @ MEM 24 min 5 PF
Feb 04 @ POR 21 min 5 PF
Feb 08 @ LAL 18 min 4 PF
Feb 11 @ DEN 21 min 4 PF
Feb 17 @ IND 10 min 5 PF
Feb 26 @ HOU 18 min 6 PF
Mar 01 @ NOH 26 min 5 PF

Nice research.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Oct 29 @ CHI 13 min 4 PF
Nov 27 @ HOU 10 min 5 PF
Dec 15 @ PHX 13 min 5 PF
Dec 26 @ MIL 26 min 5 PF
Jan 03 @ TOR 18 min 4 PF
Jan 13 @ OKC 31 min 6 PF
Jan 16 @ MEM 24 min 5 PF
Feb 04 @ POR 21 min 5 PF
Feb 08 @ LAL 18 min 4 PF
Feb 11 @ DEN 21 min 4 PF
Feb 17 @ IND 10 min 5 PF
Feb 26 @ HOU 18 min 6 PF
Mar 01 @ NOH 26 min 5 PF

Quit bringing facts into this.

Young bigs don't have to learn how not to foul in the NBA, they're just born knowing how not to foul. Don't dare mention guys like Shaq or Dwight Howard who struggled with fouls early in their careers or you'll be accused of comparing Ian to Shaq and Howard.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 01:31 PM
right, after season starts Spurs NEVER have practices/scrimmages and NEVER evaluate players anymore :rolleyes

What part of Keith Bogans starting the whole year over Malik Hairston leads you to believe that the Spurs evaluate players at all?

look, I'd love to be wrong and like some of you, beleive that IAN will once be a productive NBA center... but I also like to live in reality
The reality is that he looks like he might be able to play, fills the Spurs' biggest need (interior defense) at the position at which they are thinnest, does it well when he's in there, and he's not getting more minutes.

Really, what part of keeping the Cavs from scoring when he was on the floor would you like explained to you?

cherylsteele
03-10-2010, 01:50 PM
The Spurs have drafted or tradef for plenty of Big guys over the years who just couldn't make it. (Dwayne Schnitzius comes to mind first) And they had the advantage of high school and college careers where they could learn the basics.
Dwayne was givien ample time on the court though, he played 398 minutes: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/schindw01.html; in his rookie season, compare that to only 68 for Ian this year, saying he is garbage, bust or whatever with the lack of chances he has been given just doesn't make sense to me. I shall reserve judgement until I see him play consistent minutes.

Ian doesn't have to be a great offensive player, sure it would be nice, many solid center had no lick of an offensive game, Mutumbo, Ben Wallace, etc come to mind, he just need to be near the rim to protect with Timmy or whoever else by altering/blocking shots and show hustle and heart, which I feel he has in his limited minutes.

Old School 44
03-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Dwayne was givien ample time on the court though, he played 398 minutes: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/schindw01.html; in his rookie season, compare that to only 68 for Ian this year, saying he is garbage, bust or whatever with the lack of chances he has been given just doesn't make sense to me. I shall reserve judgement until I see him play consistent minutes.

Ian doesn't have to be a great offensive player, sure it would be nice, many solid center had no lick of an offensive game, Mutumbo, Ben Wallace, etc come to mind, he just need to be near the rim to protect with Timmy or whoever else by altering/blocking shots and show hustle and heart, which I feel he has in his limited minutes.

+1, I'm with you and OV when it comes to Ian. Just let him have some reasonable minutes for a few games. If he makes a few mistakes, don't yank him, counsel him, but let him play through.

Shorten his reponsibilities by not going to him at all on offense. If he gets some garbage offensive rebounds/put backs, then great, but for the short term I just want him to concentrate solely on defense and protecting the rim.

nkdlunch
03-10-2010, 02:18 PM
What part of Keith Bogans starting the whole year over Malik Hairston leads you to believe that the Spurs evaluate players at all?

The reality is that he looks like he might be able to play, fills the Spurs' biggest need (interior defense) at the position at which they are thinnest, does it well when he's in there, and he's not getting more minutes.

Really, what part of keeping the Cavs from scoring when he was on the floor would you like explained to you?

So, Ian's turnovers in few minutes don't count but his defense in the same minutes does? make up your mind

yes Ian is a 7 foot athletic. He also makes the same dumb mistakes he was making 4 years ago. :bang

Whisky Dog
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
nkdlunch is the knee jerk reaction specialist of this board.

nkdlunch
03-10-2010, 02:35 PM
knee jerk after 4 years? LOL

murpjf88
03-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Really? I'm curious to know who those people are.

murpjf88
03-10-2010, 02:51 PM
He makes too many mistakes and commits too many fouls to get significant playing time. Sure, injuries have retarded his growth and maturation as an NBA player, but that's hardly the Spurs fault.

Cane
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM

No player has a "right" to anything; but yea Blair is a better use of minutes and I don't see how Ian deserves it over him. Blair definitely has problems but he also doesn't make as many boneheaded decisions particularly when it comes to turnovers and has shown he can rebound on an incredible level with a knack for scoring to boot despite being short. Ian has shown a low cieling since he's been with the Spurs for years whereas Blair is more of an unknown and has shown more glimpses of greatness. Blair utilized his limited opportunities early in the season much better than his French counterpart and also seems to be much more talented (28 points, 21 rebounds, 31 mins versus OKC, setting a rebound record in the all star rookie game, etc).

By comparison, Ian has shown much less in his multiple years under the Spurs umbrella. Ian plays basically in garbage minutes and even in those opportunities he's shown stark negative qualities. The fact that the Spurs are giving Blair loads of opportunities speaks volumes on the quality of the French project player.

Blair has better hands, IQ, rebounding, finish around the basket, width, strength, hustle, etc. Ian is taller, better at blocking, has more offensive skills, but is prone to fumbling passes, stupid turnovers, fouls, weaker, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Ian has some promise. But its likely not going to be built upon anymore than it already has in his time under the Spurs organization; mainly due to his own fault by picking up stupid turnovers, fouls, etc. He's also in a situation where the Spurs are focusing on making it to the playoffs, that kind of team philosophy won't see too many projects eating up minutes especially since the Spurs already have a loaded frontcourt rotation in Duncan, McDyess, Blair, and Bonner.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 03:52 PM
So, Ian's turnovers in few minutes don't count but his defense in the same minutes does? make up your mind

yes Ian is a 7 foot athletic. He also makes the same dumb mistakes he was making 4 years ago. :bang

I want him in there for defense. I don't want them feeding him the ball ten times in a row in the post or having him try to set picks while Roger Mason is running from defenders. Considering that he also draws fouls and scores points, I'd say you're the one with tunnel vision where it concerns him.

And what exactly was Mahinmi doing four years ago aside from helping his team win the French Cup?

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
knee jerk after 4 years? LOL

No, knee jerk after 2 minutes of playing time. Need anyone point out to you his production in the one game where he got actual playing time?

nkdlunch
03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
No, knee jerk after 2 minutes of playing time. Need anyone point out to you his production in the one game where he got actual playing time?

wrong again. been following Ian for 4 years.

timaios
03-10-2010, 06:45 PM
No player has a "right" to anything; but yea Blair is a better use of minutes and I don't see how Ian deserves it over him. Blair definitely has problems but he also doesn't make as many boneheaded decisions particularly when it comes to turnovers and has shown he can rebound on an incredible level with a knack for scoring to boot despite being short. Ian has shown a low cieling since he's been with the Spurs for years whereas Blair is more of an unknown and has shown more glimpses of greatness. Blair utilized his limited opportunities early in the season much better than his French counterpart and also seems to be much more talented (28 points, 21 rebounds, 31 mins versus OKC, setting a rebound record in the all star rookie game, etc).

By comparison, Ian has shown much less in his multiple years under the Spurs umbrella. Ian plays basically in garbage minutes and even in those opportunities he's shown stark negative qualities. The fact that the Spurs are giving Blair loads of opportunities speaks volumes on the quality of the French project player.

Blair has better hands, IQ, rebounding, finish around the basket, width, strength, hustle, etc. Ian is taller, better at blocking, has more offensive skills, but is prone to fumbling passes, stupid turnovers, fouls, weaker, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Ian has some promise. But its likely not going to be built upon anymore than it already has in his time under the Spurs organization; mainly due to his own fault by picking up stupid turnovers, fouls, etc. He's also in a situation where the Spurs are focusing on making it to the playoffs, that kind of team philosophy won't see too many projects eating up minutes especially since the Spurs already have a loaded frontcourt rotation in Duncan, McDyess, Blair, and Bonner.

I never said Mahinmi deserved minutes OVER Blair.
I think Blair is great.

You say that Mahinmi has a lot of turnovers.
Blair was a 3s machine in the start of the season.
Blair was a moving screen machine in the start of the season.
Blair was a loose ball foul machine in the start of the season...

And with the experience, Blair IMPROVES ! Because he's got some playing time.

1st 5 games of Blair this Season :

Oct 28 vs. NOH 23 min (1st game of the season and he played in all games this season !)
Oct 29 @ CHI 13 min
Oct 31 vs. SAC 26 min
Nov 05 @ UTA 21 min
Nov 06 @ POR 10 min

1st 5 games of Mahinmi this Season :

Jan 10 vs. NJN 21 min (35th game :lol of the season) 15 pts 9 reb 1 ast 3/4 FT As a reward, he didn't have a single minute in a back 2 back against the Lakers and the Thunder.
Jan 15 @ CHA 5 min :lol
Jan 16 @ MEM 14 min
Jan 27 vs. ATL 2 min :lol
Jan 31 vs. DEN 1 min :lmao

43 min 1 turnover for Ian Mahinmi in his first 5 games.

Blair is totally deserving his playing time, but Pop gave him a chance.
Pop treats Ian like trash.
Again, Blair and Mahinmi are complementary players.
Mahinmi is taller, he protects the rim and rotates fast. He's a good shotblocker.
Blair is a beast and play physically defense. He's a good "stealer".
Mahinmi has a nice 12-15th shoot and good FT shooting.
Blair has some great moves under the rim.
Blair is a great rebounder, Mahinmi is a good rebounder.

What a waste.
It's not like the Spurs had a great chemistry this year.
Pop could have tried Mahinmi AND Malik Hairston a little earlier.

And now, we are supposed to watch that team fight for the 7-8th spot, just to see them be swept by the Lakers or the Mavs.
Welcome to the Spurs fans worst nightmare !

That team has nothing to lose now. So let's give a chance to Ian & Malik !

SenorSpur
03-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Having an opinion, doesn't make you right. It also doesn't make others, who don't share your opinion, wrong either. It only means you have an opinion.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking at. None of us know anything definitive about the kid because he hasn't played enough. If you do live in reality, as you say, you'll admit how good he looked good in his extended stint versus the Nets. You can blow it off as being one game, and you're right. One game doesn't make a player any more than 2 turnovers in 5 minutes make him a bust. The one thing that's clear is he's got some unique, athletic skills and some upside. For a franchise that has very little of both, they're in no position to jettison this kind of raw talent.

It's puzzling to believe that so many here want to cut bait on the guy, when he's still largely unproven and not playing. Enough already! I don't give a damn how long it's been since he's been drafted, the guy hasn't been afforded a chance for regular rotation minutes. Besides, it's not as if the Spurs are just bustling with young, athletic, frontline players on the bench and in their pipeline.

Furthermore, let's not sit here and pretend the Spurs have been perfect in their evaluation, integration, and utlization of players. Obviously, Pop and RC have had their successes, but they've had their share of misses and failures too. They've been wrong before and they were certainly wrong with their decisions this past summer.

If the Spurs were still playing for championships, I could understand the impatience. However, this franchise is now going the other direction. They need younger players to rebuild on. If the Spurs have, in fact, given up on Ian, I can't wait to see how fast he he becomes a rotation player for OKC, or some other team willing to give him some playing time.

SenorSpur
03-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Double standard.; As if the Spurs don't already have veteran players making dumb mistakes. :rolleyes

z0sa
03-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Passing judgment on Mahinmi without seeing him play consistently against the big boys is a travesty of the highest order; WTF did we groom this guy in Austin (where he was an all-star) for? Why waste a skillset we need desperately? It's beyond idiocy.

Unless the detractors have hard practice stats they're relying off, you can't speak for Pop and Co. and say "He's sucking in practice, that must be why!". That's speculation at best, and does not constitute any type of argument.

Give the boy 15 minutes every night before we lose out on a possible gem - we overpaid for Dyess and RJ and yet we'd rather play those losers on their way out than bring in a hungry rookie who could contribute on the cheap for years.

J Mack
03-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Passing judgment on Mahinmi without seeing him play consistently against the big boys is a travesty of the highest order; WTF did we groom this guy in Austin (where he was an all-star) for? Why waste a skillset we need desperately? It's beyond idiocy.

Unless the detractors have hard practice stats they're relying off, you can't speak for Pop and Co. and say "He's sucking in practice, that must be why!". That's speculation at best, and does not constitute any type of argument.

Give the boy 15 minutes every night before we lose out on a possible gem - we overpaid for Dyess and RJ and yet we'd rather play those losers on their way out than bring in a hungry rookie who could contribute on the cheap for years.
+ 1 Trillion:hat

SenorSpur
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Amen.

This is a critical offseason, and next couple of years, for the Spurs. I don't want to see this guy walk and then he end up as a productive rotation player somewhere else. Giving up on this kid before he's proven would be a terrible, and stupid, blow.

Face it. Dice is probably gone next year or certainly the year after. Ratliff is already gone. Blair is emerging, yet undersized. Splitter's arrival is unknown and unjustified. Duncan needs help badly. The Spurs desparately need to milk this kid's talent for all its worth.

timtonymanu
03-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I have a really strange feeling that Ian will be resigned in the offseason. But it's just me.

objective
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
what are the scenarios if he gets time to finish the year:

A: He underperforms and doesn't give a good reason to be re-signed: i.e. he plays as badly as a typical McDyess game except with the contract albatross

B: He performs well and commands a contract MLE or below and leaves, but that doesn't matter because if Splitter is signed there's no room in the rotation for Mahinmi anyway.

C: He performs well, commands a contract that is the MLE or below, and Splitter doesn't come to the NBA for Splitterish reasons. Then you still have Ian you can use the MLE on because you're not getting David Lee or Carlos Boozer for the MLE and they'll need a big.

It's pretty much a no-lose situation. So just use him. Use him like a cheap french ***** and throw him away afterwards for an upscale diva like Splitter. You've already paid for the room and the services, pop some pills and get it on. :lol

Cane
03-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I never said Mahinmi deserved minutes OVER Blair.
I think Blair is great.

You say that Mahinmi has a lot of turnovers.
Blair was a 3s machine in the start of the season.
Blair was a moving screen machine in the start of the season.
Blair was a loose ball foul machine in the start of the season...

And with the experience, Blair IMPROVES ! Because he's got some playing time.

1st 5 games of Blair this Season :

Oct 28 vs. NOH 23 min (1st game of the season and he played in all games this season !)
Oct 29 @ CHI 13 min
Oct 31 vs. SAC 26 min
Nov 05 @ UTA 21 min
Nov 06 @ POR 10 min

1st 5 games of Mahinmi this Season :

Jan 10 vs. NJN 21 min (35th game :lol of the season) 15 pts 9 reb 1 ast 3/4 FT As a reward, he didn't have a single minute in a back 2 back against the Lakers and the Thunder.
Jan 15 @ CHA 5 min :lol
Jan 16 @ MEM 14 min
Jan 27 vs. ATL 2 min :lol
Jan 31 vs. DEN 1 min :lmao

43 min 1 turnover for Ian Mahinmi in his first 5 games.

Blair is totally deserving his playing time, but Pop gave him a chance.
Pop treats Ian like trash.
Again, Blair and Mahinmi are complementary players.
Mahinmi is taller, he protects the rim and rotates fast. He's a good shotblocker.
Blair is a beast and play physically defense. He's a good "stealer".
Mahinmi has a nice 12-15th shoot and good FT shooting.
Blair has some great moves under the rim.
Blair is a great rebounder, Mahinmi is a good rebounder.

What a waste.
It's not like the Spurs had a great chemistry this year.
Pop could have tried Mahinmi AND Malik Hairston a little earlier.

And now, we are supposed to watch that team fight for the 7-8th spot, just to see them be swept by the Lakers or the Mavs.
Welcome to the Spurs fans worst nightmare !

That team has nothing to lose now. So let's give a chance to Ian & Malik !

Thing is though, Blair made improvements quickly and while being a rookie (even his FT shooting form has improved greatly). Ian makes worse mistakes and he's been under the Spurs umbrella for years. He has some promise but his negatives outweigh those few advantages especially in the Spurs frontcourt.

He's had years developing under the Spurs and has been shown up by a rookie; Ian's IQ and game just isn't cut out for the NBA or at least not to the point to get substantial minutes in the Spurs frontcourt. And he doesn't do a good enough job selling himself in the garbage minutes he does get.

As far as "That team has nothing to lose now. So lets give a chance to Ian and Malik" - sorry thats just not the case. They have been getting more time recently but the Spurs are still very much in the playoffs and if the injury bug starts biting other Western teams more...then who knows what can happen after that.

Ian hasn't been resigned by the Spurs, he's played multiple years under NBA rules and systems, and is still making nearly inexcusable mistakes for that experience especially since a rookie has shown much more talent and potential.

Ian had a great night against the Nets but its very easy to take away from that since they're likely the worst team in the history of the NBA and he was played to motivate McDyess.

It says a lot that the Spurs are unwilling to play a guy substantial minutes that they've invested a lot of time into.

But who knows, if Ian starts to one-up the regular rotation players then he might be able to earn a chance but the onus is on him.

z0sa
03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Amen.

This is a critical offseason, and next couple of years, for the Spurs. I don't want to see this guy walk and then he end up as a productive rotation player somewhere else. Giving up on this kid before he's proven would be a terrible, and stupid, blow.

Face it. Dice is probably gone next year or certainly the year after. Ratliff is already gone. Blair is emerging, yet undersized. Splitter's arrival is unknown and unjustified. Duncan needs help badly. The Spurs desparately need to milk this kid's talent for all its worth.

Truth be told, I think Pop just can't handle the mistakes of 3 rookie players (Hairston, Ian, Blair). He chose Blair early, and it was the right decision, because he clearly has the most 'here and now' talent. Things have changed since September though; now that the Spurs season is swirling down the toilet, it's time for a reappraisal of the situation.

:blah Pop will do whatever he wants. He probably believes deep down inside that TP will return to full health sometime this season, RJ/Dyess will not suck in the playoffs, etc

J Mack
03-10-2010, 08:06 PM
No matter how many reasons/facts we who want to see Ian play , there are still going to be those with tunnel vision giving the same lame reasons not to play him. :wakeup

Cane
03-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Never understood how a d-league project got so many internet forum fans unless you're all from France. :wakeup

Chieflion
03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't see how Ian goes out there and makes more mistakes than Blair. Ian was playing better defense out there. Unless Pop does not emphasize on defense anymore, Blair is actually making more serious mistakes on defense by leaving his man open for backdoor cuts.

mystargtr34
03-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Imagine if the Lakers took the same approach with Bynum when he was putting up 2 points 5 foul 3 turnover games in his first two seasons.

TJastal
03-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I don't see how Ian goes out there and makes more mistakes than Blair. Ian was playing better defense out there. Unless Pop does not emphasize on defense anymore, Blair is actually making more serious mistakes on defense by leaving his man open for backdoor cuts.

shhhh....defense doesn't matter anymore. It's all about the bball IQ and looking "smart" out there now even if you can't defend a paraplegic in a straight jacket

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 08:39 PM
wrong again. been following Ian for 4 years.

Again, four years ago he was helping his team win the French Cup.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 08:41 PM

And Blair still struggles with fouls and things, but what he no longer does is make the nervous type mistakes that a player with no floor time makes.

J Mack
03-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Never understood how a d-league project got so many internet forum fans unless you're all from France. :wakeup
dont understand how some of you can be so short sighted. :wakeup

SenorSpur
03-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Imagine if the Lakers took the same approach with Bynum when he was putting up 2 points 5 foul 3 turnover games in his first two seasons.

Exactly. The Fakers stuck with the kid, even when their best player was calling for the FO to offer him up in a trade for J-Kidd.

You can't teach size and raw ability. Ian has an abundance of both and he's extremely coachable. He hasn't even scratched the surface and the Popsuckers want cut the guy loose and allow some other team to harvest hiim.

jjktkk
03-10-2010, 11:12 PM

Really? Okay, lets hear the names of the people in the Spurs orginzation who are perplexed on how and why Mahimni and Hairston aren't given a real opportunity. Towel boys don't count. BTW Hairston is starting to earn playing time, and making the most of his limited playing time.

The Truth #6
03-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Great. What's next? Ian gets playing time and does well also?

Chieflion
03-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Really? Okay, lets hear the names of the people in the Spurs orginzation who are perplexed on how and why Mahimni and Hairston aren't given a real opportunity. Towel boys don't count. BTW Hairston is starting to earn playing time, and making the most of his limited playing time.

Ya, I know right. Mahinmi is going to impress Pop playing 0 seconds of playing time and when he steps on the court and plays solid defense, detractors will call him out for fouls and turnovers.

Cane
03-10-2010, 11:20 PM
dont understand how some of you can be so short sighted. :wakeup

Short sighted? The Spurs are focusing on playoffs and Blair is a much better investment at this point especially since Ian wasn't resigned. This scrub has been playing under the Spurs since 2005 and still looks lost out there. Ian wasn't even in the 128 player league draft guide.

He was a project from the start that unfortunately hasn't shown much; his progress got sidetracked by that injury.

jjktkk
03-10-2010, 11:23 PM
I want him in there for defense. I don't want them feeding him the ball ten times in a row in the post or having him try to set picks while Roger Mason is running from defenders. Considering that he also draws fouls and scores points, I'd say you're the one with tunnel vision where it concerns him.

And what exactly was Mahinmi doing four years ago aside from helping his team win the French Cup?

OMG LAMO @Obstructed_View. Sorry buddy, but when you said Mahimni helped win the French Cup 4 years ago, I couldn't help myself. Winning the French Cup is the equivalent of winning a college DII championship here in the US. LOL, cmon on now OV thats pathetic, you need to try a little harder than that.

timaios
03-10-2010, 11:25 PM
short sighted? The spurs are focusing on playoffs and blair is a much better investment at this point especially since ian wasn't resigned. This scrub has been playing under the spurs since 2005 and still looks lost out there. Ian wasn't even in the 128 player league draft guide.

He was a project from the start that unfortunately hasn't shown much; his progress got sidetracked by that injury.

No.

Cane
03-10-2010, 11:26 PM
No.

Whoops, got me there. He's still played a few years under the Spurs umbrella though and shown more disappointment than not :hat

jjktkk
03-10-2010, 11:27 PM
You know maybe Mahimni has subscribed to the ten year plan to gradually improve enough to get on a NBA court. Year 5 looks eerily similar to years 1,2,3, and 4, albeit without the injuries, maybe by year 10, we can finally see the real Mahimni come shining thru and become a NBA player. One can only hope.

timaios
03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Whoops, got me there. He's still played a few years under the Spurs umbrella though and shown more disappointment than not :hat

Well it's so great to see guys like Mason who doesn't make any mistakes have some playing time... Yeah.

Cane
03-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Well it's so great to see guys like Mason who doesn't make any mistakes have some playing time... Yeah.

Yea Mason has been shit especially offensively since the Rodeo Trip. However he has to take those shots if he gets those looks - that why he's there. Outside of Ginobili and Parker; its just him and Hill that can run that position.

Shame that Ian doesn't really play the same position or role. The Spurs could use a legitimate back-up PG now more than ever.

timaios
03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
You know maybe Mahimni has subscribed to the ten year plan to gradually improve enough to get on a NBA court. Year 5 looks eerily similar to years 1,2,3, and 4, albeit without the injuries, maybe by year 10, we can finally see the real Mahimni come shining thru and become a NBA player. One can only hope.

He started to play for the Spurs in 2007 !
He was great in NBDL in 2007-08.
He was injured and was misdiagnosed by the Spurs doctors in 2008-09.
And he doesn't play in 2009-10.

Seriously ?

HarlemHeat37
03-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Year 1- Makes the All-NBDL 1st team..he literally did all he possibly could to impress..they put him in the D-League and he responded by making their elite team..yes, it doesn't mean much when it comes to evaluating a player, but it means he did all he possibly could at the level that the Spurs assigned him to..

Year 2- Gets hurt, misdiagnosed as well, out for the season..

Year 3- Hasn't gotten a chance..

Again, the guy might turn out to suck, but the logic some of you are using to argue is terrible..

Cane
03-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Year 1- Makes the All-NBDL 1st team..he literally did all he possibly could to impress..they put him in the D-League and he responded by making their elite team..yes, it doesn't mean much when it comes to evaluating a player, but it means he did all he possibly could at the level that the Spurs assigned him to..

Year 2- Gets hurt, misdiagnosed as well, out for the season..

Year 3- Hasn't gotten a chance..

Again, the guy might turn out to suck, but the logic some of you are using to argue is terrible..

Year 3 - Doesn't look the same after injury and still prone to qualities that keep you out of the NBA. Then there was Blair and McDyess which just made it harder to crack into the rotation.

Ian has been a multi-year project for the Spurs - they know what to expect. If Pop, Duncan, or anyone of importance thinks he should log more minutes he'd have 'em. This is an organization renowned for drafting and improving obscure talent and unlike situations like Scola they've invested a lot of time in this guy. He also hasn't sold himself well either and since he wasn't resigned it makes even less sense to give minutes that would be better suited for Blair.

Spurs frontcourt rotation: Bonner was having a great season up until his injury and recently started to return to form, rookie Blair looks like he's on another level than Ian (did Ian ever have 20+ rebounds in the d-league or France? Should it be troubling that Ian only averaged 8 boards in the d-league?), and both McDyess and Duncan are substantially better.

Unfortunately for Ian, the Spurs haven't been regularly blowing out opposing teams. If that were the case he'd get more time. Otherwise its going to Blair and the other guys.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2010, 02:12 AM
OMG LAMO @Obstructed_View. Sorry buddy, but when you said Mahimni helped win the French Cup 4 years ago, I couldn't help myself. Winning the French Cup is the equivalent of winning a college DII championship here in the US. LOL, cmon on now OV thats pathetic, you need to try a little harder than that.

Someone said that he's doing the exact same thing he did four years ago when that person clearly had no fucking clue what Ian Mahinmi was doing four years ago.

We get it, you don't like him. You're going to downplay everything he does well so you can focus in on that one turnover he had that time. Pop should hire you as a scout. He could certainly use a few more ass-kissers around him.

nkdlunch
03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Again, four years ago he was helping his team win the French Cup.

you're kidding right?

the french cup???

:lmao :lmao

nkdlunch
03-11-2010, 10:23 AM
short sighted? The spurs are focusing on playoffs and blair is a much better investment at this point especially since ian wasn't resigned. This scrub has been playing under the spurs since 2005 and still looks lost out there. Ian wasn't even in the 128 player league draft guide.

+1

nkdlunch
03-11-2010, 10:24 AM

TJastal
03-11-2010, 10:36 AM

Yep ole Mahimni is about to complete his 5th season since being drafted, 5th!!!, and yes he is brimming with potential, just not showcasing his potential. How long does a prospect need for the light to come on? Why is it that only certain ST forum members scream for Pop to play Mahimni more? Every day I read several NBA websites on-line, watch ESPN,NBA TV, TNT on THursday, and not once have I ever read that or heard on TV, that the Spurs need to insert Mahimni into the lineup. Never heard or read that Pop is making a mistake by not playing Mahimni. These NBA people on-line and on TV, are by most account, respected NBA analists, but I have never heard anyone say one thing about Mahimni. So the bottom line is whose opinion should you value more? The national media, which includes NBA reporters, NBA scouts, NBA analists, who are former NBA coaches and NBA players, or a certain group of Spurs fans just getting their 2 cents in?[/QUOTE]

:lmao

MrFundamental
03-11-2010, 02:04 PM
You can't teach size and raw ability. Ian has an abundance of both and he's extremely coachable.
Blair has raw ability; someone that hasn't averaged over 6 rpg at a professional level shouldn't be considered to have "raw ability".

Old School 44
03-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Pop is always right. :rolleyes

Why does Keith Bogans get as much playing time as he does?

Again, noone has answered the question, does Bogans really impress in practice? Why isn't Buford screaming at Pop to not play him? why haven't we heard any dissent in Spurs organization regarding playing Bogans??? (oh yeah, "pop is a dictator and everyone is afraid of him" :rolleyes :rolleyes)

its funny to think amateur posters on an internet forum that have seen Bogans play for about 1200+ minutes think they have a better opinion on him than coaches and staff that see him play 24/7.

nkdlunch
03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I love how the Ian defenders use Bogans as proof that Ian is not garbage :downspin:

and no, Pop is not always right. not even close.

Old School 44
03-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I love how the Ian defenders use Bogans as proof that Ian is not garbage :downspin:

and no, Pop is not always right. not even close.

All I'm saying is if Pop can be wrong with Bogans, he can be wrong with Mahinmi.

In Mahinmi's case, you've closed the door on him and taken the stance that the front office is right in their evaluation.

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Why does Keith Bogans get as much playing time as he does?

Because Pop wants a SG/SF starting for him who can defend and doesn't need plays called for him. And Bogans was the best option on this current Spurs squad. Now it looks like Hairston is a more viable option. Maybe Pop was too slow to come around to playing Hairston, but after watching Hairston play last night againt NY, Hairston, at the very least should split mintues with Bogans and get more playing time.

nkdlunch
03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
All I'm saying is if Pop can be wrong with Bogans, he can be wrong with Mahinmi.

In Mahinmi's case, you've closed the door on him and taken the stance that the front office is right in their evaluation.

Regarding the front office handling of Ian I have no problem. I think it was bad luck on both sides and front office did all possible to give him opportunities. Is it part their fault, maybe so. But it is not 100% front office fault Ian has not flourished.

Have I given up hope on Ian? Hell yes. The last shitty game he had was the last evidence I needed.

this situation reminds me of Kwame Brown's situation, or Darko's in Detroit. There comes a time to just give up hope than to cling to a fantasy that will never happen. time to wake up.

SenorSpur
03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Because Pop wants a SG/SF starting for him who can defend and doesn't need plays called for him. And Bogans was the best option on this current Spurs squad. Now it looks like Hairston is a more viable option. Maybe Pop was too slow to come around to playing Hairston, but after watching Hairston play last night againt NY, Hairston, at the very least should split mintues with Bogans and get more playing time.

As most veteran coaches, Pop has demonstrated very little patience with young players - especially rooks. He has been slow to come around on most all of them. Remember last year's unexplained benching of Hill, in favor of Jacque Vaughn. Also, he sent Blair to the bench earlier in the season, when he decided he'd dust off Ratliff for a few games. Even after deciding to go with Parker as the starter in his rookie year, he benched him for large stretches of most 4th quarters - in favor of Speedy Claxton. This is not to say the decision was wrong, it just illustrates his lack of patience.

To the Hairston debate, the kid should've been playing/splitting minutes by now. That much is obvious. Based upon what we saw with Ian in the extended stint versus the Nets, he should've been playing more all along. Had Pop utilized the kid back when Bonner was out, chances are we wouldn't be having to defend him now.

As much as Ian's injury history has stunted his growth, Pop has been the culprit this season.

objective
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Now it looks like Hairston is a more viable option?

Now?

After how he wrecked Bogans in pre-season and performed well every other time (like against Houston) and already knew the system?

Only now?

objective
03-11-2010, 03:44 PM
As most veteran coaches, Pop has demonstrated very little patience with young players - especially rooks. He has been slow to come around on most all of them. Remember last year's unexplained benching of Hill, in favor of Jacque Vaughn. Also, he sent Blair to the bench earlier in the season, when he decided he'd dust off Ratliff for a few games. Even after deciding to go with Parker as the starter in his rookie year, he benched him for large stretches of most 4th quarters - in favor of Speedy Claxton. This is not to say the decision was wrong, it just illustrates his lack of patience.

To the Hairston debate, the kid should've been playing/splitting minutes by now. That much is obvious. Based upon what we saw with Ian in the extended stint versus the Nets, he should've been playing more all along. Had Pop utilized the kid back when Bonner was out, chances are we wouldn't be having to defend him now.

As much as Ian's injury history has stunted his growth, Pop has been the culprit this season.

Don't forget Stephen Jackson locked up in a sportcoat straitjacket while Terry Porter was falling on his ass like an old, old man.

And Jackson only got time in 02/03 after both Steve Smith and Manu were banged up. Pop didn't want to play him, injuries forced him to.

in2deep
03-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Dejuan Blair

MrFundamental
03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Dejuan Blair
How dare you bring up the rook when there is some perfectly good Pops bashing going around! :nope

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Now it looks like Hairston is a more viable option?

Now?

After how he wrecked Bogans in pre-season and performed well every other time (like against Houston) and already knew the system?

Only now?

objective, your latest objective should be tackling reading comprehesion. Did I not say Pop was too slow in coming around to Hairston?

Obstructed_View
03-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Ian plays well in France and his team wins.

Popsucker: France? Are you serious lol?

Ian plays well in the D League and his team wins.

Popsucker: The D League? Are you serious lol?

Ian plays well in the minutes he's given.

Popsucker: Garbage time? Are you serious lol?

Ian plays well in the one game he's actually given playing time in and his team wins.

Popsucker: The New Jersey Nets? Are you serious lol?

Old School 44
03-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Regarding the front office handling of Ian I have no problem. I think it was bad luck on both sides and front office did all possible to give him opportunities. Is it part their fault, maybe so. But it is not 100% front office fault Ian has not flourished.

Have I given up hope on Ian? Hell yes. The last shitty game he had was the last evidence I needed.

this situation reminds me of Kwame Brown's situation, or Darko's in Detroit. There comes a time to just give up hope than to cling to a fantasy that will never happen. time to wake up.

Sure, it would be great if Ian "flourished", but all I am looking for is a serviceable, athletic big, who can give Duncan some defensive help and deter teams from strolling down the lane. That's it. If he gets some garbage buckets from offensive rebounds, that's icing.

Yeah, his last game wasn't his best, but earlier in the year, pop missed some great opportunities to play him. But just like I don't think we should annoint him with his performance in the NJ game, I don't think we should throw him away for his prior game.

I just think he needs more court time to let him play through his mistakes vs. just yanking him as soon as he makes any.

The comparison with Darko and Kwame, isn't the same at all. The expectation with them was a lot higher (as well as their salaries), they were 1 and 2 overall in their respective drafts, but even then, they got reasonable court time to display their games.

in2deep
03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Yet he still makes same dumb fouls and mistakes as before.

Ian plays well in the one game he's actually given playing time in and his team wins.

fixed

objective
03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
objective, your latest objective should be tackling reading comprehesion. Did I not say Pop was too slow in coming around to Hairston?

you picked up on Pop being slow in coming around?

That train left the station months ago.

objective
03-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Sure, it would be great if Ian "flourished", but all I am looking for is a serviceable, athletic big, who can give Duncan some defensive help and deter teams from strolling down the lane. That's it. If he gets some garbage buckets from offensive rebounds, that's icing.

Yeah, his last game wasn't his best, but earlier in the year, pop missed some great opportunities to play him.

his last game wasn't even that bad. Wow, two legit turnovers on him when everyone else was turning the ball over too.

He also played defense well, and attacked the rim.

He had a better 1st half against the Cavs than McDyess did.

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Don't forget Stephen Jackson locked up in a sportcoat straitjacket while Terry Porter was falling on his ass like an old, old man.

And Jackson only got time in 02/03 after both Steve Smith and Manu were banged up. Pop didn't want to play him, injuries forced him to.

I swear, you wanna be coaches can be so silly sometimes. Every coach in sports has their own philsophy on determining when a young player is ready to play. Do you just throw a young player on the court and let him learn on the fly, or do you slowly groom that said player and bring him along slowly, even if you think a coach like Pop seemingly waits too long to play a young guy? Both methods work. It depends on the player whether he is ready to play, or not. Some of you Pop haters are looking for that perverbial needle in the haystock to crack on Pop, but four championships sure gives me the perception that Pop seems to know what hes doing. Your slamming Pop for not playing guys like Stephen Jackson, Tony Parker, Malik Hairston soon enough, but Jackson and Parker seemed to have gotten over Pop's adversity to playing young guys and turned out just fine.

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 05:49 PM

The Mahimnisucker,errr, I mean author of this post, has reportedly been ordered to undergo a ST sanctioned, mandatory drug test. :lol

underdawg
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I swear, you wanna be coaches can be so silly sometimes. Every coach in sports has their own philsophy on determining when a young player is ready to play. Do you just throw a young player on the court and let him learn on the fly, or do you slowly groom that said player and bring him along slowly, even if you think a coach like Pop seemingly waits too long to play a young guy? Both methods work. It depends on the player whether he is ready to play, or not. Some of you Pop haters are looking for that perverbial needle in the haystock to crack on Pop, but four championships sure gives me the perception that Pop seems to know what hes doing. Your slamming Pop for not playing guys like Stephen Jackson, Tony Parker, Malik Hairston soon enough, but Jackson and Parker seemed to have gotten over Pop's adversity to playing young guys and turned out just fine.

problem is Pop's philosophy of relying on veterans worked well while the big 3 were younger and able to stay healthy. He doesn't have that luxury anymore yet seems to be unwilling (unless in a state of desperation like last night) to adapt his philosophy and system to his current squad. His veteran role players seem unable to fill the hole (injuries, lack of consistency, etc.) and season is no longer young - time to adapt or quit.

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
problem is Pop's philosophy of relying on veterans worked well while the big 3 were younger and able to stay healthy. He doesn't have that luxury anymore yet seems to be unwilling (unless in a state of desperation like last night) to adapt his philosophy and system to his current squad. His veteran role players seem unable to fill the hole (injuries, lack of consistency, etc.) and season is no longer young - time to adapt or quit.

Totally agree and Pop is slowly coming around to giving playing time to younger guys like Hill, Blair, and it looks like Hairston now. IMO pop is the kind of coach that doesn't want to just throw a young guy out their for the sake of letting them get their feet wet. Instead, Pop micromanages their minutes, and brings them along slowly maybe too slowly to alot of fans, but Pop, like alot of coaches absolutely hates younger, inexpierenced players, because of their penchant for making rookie type mistakes. I have no problem with people criticizing Pop for his philosphy on playing young guys, but Pop does eventually play these type of players when he feels their ready.