PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Manu too good, and Spurs get too smart

duncan228
03-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Manu too good, and Spurs get too smart (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Manu_too_good_and_Spurs_get_too_smart.html)
Buck Harvey

CLEVELAND — No NBA coach designs smarter inbounds plays than Gregg Popovich, and he came out of a timeout Monday with another one.

Everyone said so.

But maybe even Popovich wondered as he headed to another bus, after another loss, if he had leaned too much on strategy and on the percentages.

Maybe even Popovich wondered if he should have simply sat back and enjoyed the magic of Manu Ginobili.

Mike Brown said he's seen variations of the play before, but he said he'd never seen one quite like this. There were nine seconds left, and the Spurs needed three points, and Ginobili's only previous mistake had been wearing a shoe one size too big.

His toe had touched the 3-point line.

Brown had seen this Ginobili before. Three years ago, Ginobili closed out the Cavaliers in the NBA Finals with 27 points, and two years ago, Ginobili dropped 48 in Cleveland.

“Manu Ginobili,” Brown said then, “is a bad boy.”

Yet here was Ginobili again, his left hand making up for the absence of Tony Parker's right — and the play was designed for himnot to shoot?

The pass went to Ginobili inside the 3-point line. Brown acted out what happened next, turning his head dramatically from the chair in his office.

He was imitating his players. They all looked Ginobili's way, not sure what to do next, because they had been told to focus on him no matter what.

That left Roger Mason Jr. circling the perimeter, using a Tim Duncan pick, getting a Ginobili pass and an open look.

“That's why it was so smart,” Brown said.

Brown is biased. He admires his former boss, and he looks for every opportunity to credit him.

He did Monday when he chose not to play LeBron James because of some nagging injuries. It likely doesn't require genius to want to rest your star, but Brown wanted everyone to know he remembered Popovich doing that with Duncan.

Still, Brown wasn't the only one who thought the play was smart. The Cavs players, too, said they had been fooled, and Daniel Gibson, the former Longhorn, also liked how the play went to Mason.

“I know, when I'm missing,” Gibson said, “I want that last chance to make up for everything.”

Popovich's strategy likely focused on that, too. During a timeout, Popovich gave Mason a pep talk. “The percentages are with you,” he said.

By believing in Mason, Popovich was also doing something else. The player expected to pick up Parker's minutes needs to have confidence.

So Mason got his chance, even though he'd missed all seven of his previous 3-point attempts. He said he thought the shot looked good.

Duncan believed, too. “I'd give him that shot every day of the week,” he said.

Every day, maybe, except for this one. Ginobili was being a bad boy again while his teammates, outside of George Hill, were simply bad.

A telling moment came late in the fourth. Then, Ginobili dug out a steal and got the ball ahead to Hill, who fed an open Richard Jefferson. And Jefferson shuffled his feet.

Others were similar. That's why Duncan, who committed two late turnovers, thought the Spurs had “wasted” an opportunity.

No Parker? Cleveland was without James and Shaquille O'Neal. And when Antawn Jamison left for the locker room in the third quarter with a sore knee, the Cavaliers were without their starting frontcourt.

Mostly, though, the Spurs wasted a classic Ginobili show. He seemingly made up for everything, with a sense he wouldn't let the Spurs lose. Given that, shouldn't Ginobili have been the one aiming at the basket on that play?

“Not when you get a look like the one they got,” Brown said.

Yes, that made sense. And with time expiring, with the Cavaliers now ahead by five, Ginobili tossed up a running, one-armed 27-footer.

He made it, naturally.

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 01:21 AM
It was 46, Buck, and I really don't have much of a problem with Manu not taking what would have been a highly contested three-point shot, off an inbounds pass and put in the position he would've inevitably been forced into (given the time and half-court circumstance).

Had he been able to get a look off someone else's play-making for a spot-up or been able to get one off the dribble in transition, or where he didn't have a set defense ... Then, yeah, absolutely I want him taking that shot. But, imo, the play Pop drew up and the look it got was the best they could do under the circumstance; I've got no problem with it (RJ blowing a layup, George pulling the string on a corner three, and the team getting way too 3 happy in the fourth were much bigger points of contention).

Manu remains a bad boy, though ... and that was nice to see . . .

Dro210
03-09-2010, 01:26 AM
The play was obviously designed that way because of how much attention Manu was drawing from the Cavs... it was a perfectly designed play, George was wide open too.... shot just didn't go down.

TD 21
03-09-2010, 01:31 AM
It was 46, Buck, and I really don't have much of a problem with Manu not taking what would have been a highly contested three-point shot, off an inbounds pass and put in the position he would've inevitably been forced into (given the time and half-court circumstance).

Had he been able to get a look off someone else's play-making for a spot-up or been able to get one off the dribble in transition, or where he didn't have a set defense ... Then, yeah, absolutely I want him taking that shot. But, imo, the play Pop drew up and the look it got was the best they could do under the circumstance; I've got no problem with it (RJ blowing a layup, George pulling the string on a corner three, and the team getting way too 3 happy in the fourth were much bigger points of contention).

Manu remains a bad boy, though ... and that was nice to see . . .

Agreed. Not only was the play fine, could you imagine how big that shot would have been for Mason's confidence and for the team? It easily could have been the springboard they need to withstand this stretch without Parker. Ultimately, that's who it's going to come down to. Ginobili's back, but he can't throw in 38 a game and log 37 minutes a game playing the way he plays and Hill is just going to continue to get better, but a third guard is needed and the only one the Spurs have left (Hairston is a wing and Bogans, while a guard, doesn't possess guard like ball skills) is Mason. If they're to get through this stretch, they'll need him to, if not duplicate, then at least resemble the player he was throughout much of last season.

Typical Harvey, though. He's clearly a huge Ginobili fan (and not much of a Duncan fan). I still enjoy his articles, though, not only because I prefer his writing style to that of Monroe and McDonald, but because he also has more inside information than either.

sabar
03-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Agreed. Not only was the play fine, could you imagine how big that shot would have been for Mason's confidence and for the team? It easily could have been the springboard they need to withstand this stretch without Parker. Ultimately, that's who it's going to come down to. Ginobili's back, but he can't throw in 38 a game and log 37 minutes a game playing the way he plays and Hill is just going to continue to get better, but a third guard is needed and the only one the Spurs have left (Hairston is a wing and Bogans, while a guard, doesn't possess guard like ball skills) is Mason. If they're to get through this stretch, they'll need him to, if not duplicate, then at least resemble the player he was throughout much of last season.

Typical Harvey, though. He's clearly a huge Ginobili fan (and not much of a Duncan fan). I still enjoy his articles, though, not only because I prefer his writing style to that of Monroe and McDonald, but because he also has more inside information than either.

+1 on all points.

If that shot goes down it has a good shot of turning everything around in terms of confidence, plus in building momentum as the games get tougher.

jimo2305
03-09-2010, 02:01 AM
so sign a veteran pg who can handle the ball

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 02:02 AM

Yeah, it was the perfect time to have a breakthrough moment with a guy like Mason (someone who's been on the outs and frustrated over playing time), but, not unlike most things this year, it just happened to go awry. The logic was sound, though, and the play even better ... so I can't see much justification for anyone to be up in arms over the decision.

The Spurs absolutely need Mason if they're to do anything with the remainder of this schedule, all you can do is put him in the best position possible to succeed; something Pop's failed to do, on more than one count, in recent years . . .

siraulo23
03-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Yeah Manuuuuuuuuuuuu!
I actually enjoyed the manu show, except the lost

Obstructed_View
03-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Here's hoping that Mason doesn't sit for the next several games as punishment for tonight.

WalterBenitez
03-09-2010, 06:26 AM
The play designed worked, the ball goes to who was supposed to go, but the ball didn't go in, period.

Manu-of-steel
03-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Here's hoping that Mason doesn't sit for the next several games as punishment for tonight.

Pop can't afford to sit rmj. I hope RMJ wakes up and hit his shots, it's a shame he is being given trust. He must show Pop, and his future employers (he's a free agent next season) what he's got. If he finds his shooting stroke, it's a win-win for him and the spurs.

boutons_deux
03-09-2010, 06:31 AM
"RMJ wakes up and hit his shots"

He has proven that hit can't hit wide open jumpers at serviceable %age. Nor can anybody else after the Big4.

Spurs can't score, can't defend, can't rebound, can't compete.

polandprzem
03-09-2010, 06:40 AM
You know what? I felt sorry for Pop.
It looked like he ackowledged that every [with few exeptions] player is letting him down and there is no hope for any improvenment at the moment

DAF86
03-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I liked the designed play but I didn't like this:

During a timeout, Popovich gave Mason a pep talk. “The percentages are with you,” he said.

If this is true, the only thing Pop acomplished was putting more pressure on Mason.

ElNono
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Pressure? He gets paid to make shots... 0-8 is unacceptable, especially when he brings absolutely nothing else to the table...

DAF86
03-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Pressure? He gets paid to make shots... 0-8 is unacceptable, especially when he brings absolutely nothing else to the table...

So the fact that he gets paid to do that takes the pressure off him, gotcha :tu

I'm sure you never feel pressure in your work.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Fuck Popovich I don't feel sorry at all for him. I'm glad Roger gave him zilch and made him look like the complete ass that he is.

Poppabitch should have used his "centerpiece" if he wants a critical shot made, hell all the popsuckers swear he's just as good as Roger at shooting

ElNono
03-09-2010, 08:53 AM
So the fact that he gets paid to do that takes the pressure off him, gotcha :tu

I'm sure you never feel pressure in your work.

If I don't deliver I lose my my job... that's how this world works...

Spurs Brazil
03-09-2010, 08:54 AM

/thread

TJastal
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
If I don't deliver I lose my my job... that's how this world works...

Poppabitch should be first in line to get the axe then.

gospursgojas
03-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Mason has to hit that shot.

Everyone did their job that play.... pop drew up a great play, duncan set the screen perfectly, and manu delivered the pass exactly where it needed to be.

You can't cry about PT and then when you get your chance, go 0-8 and miss big shots.

Its all about having the balls to step up. Which pop doubts mason has. Just look at last years playoffs.

ElNono
03-09-2010, 09:51 AM

Everyone did their job that play.... pop drew up a great play, duncan set the screen perfectly, and manu delivered the pass exactly where it needed to be.

You can't cry about PT and then when you get your chance, go 0-8 and miss big shots.

Its all about having the balls to step up. Which pop doubts mason has. Just look at last years playoffs.

Well, it's not just that specific shot. If he hits any of the ones before it, then we're automatically in a better situation also. But if you're having a bad shooting night, then try to grab a board or play a little more aggressive defense. You know, RJ suck too for a different reason, but at least he went out there and grabbed 9 boards.

TJastal
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM

And what about all those regular season games that Mason won last year? Bonner sucked hard in the playoffs too but that never stopped him from getting rewarded. Hell he was given the starting job this year and proceeded to pinch a big loaf. What did Mason get? A demotion in favor of Keith Bogans, whom Poppovich thinks is the centerpiece of the team despite playing awful basketball for most of the year.

I doubt this has to do w/ lack of balls, it's a case of Mason simply doesn't care anymore, he's probably seething at Popovich screwing up his role and minutes on the team and his heart is not there anymore.

gospursgojas
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Well, it's not just that specific shot. If he hits any of the ones before it, then we're automatically in a better situation also. But if you're having a bad shooting night, then try to grab a board or play a little more aggressive defense. You know, RJ suck too for a different reason, but at least he went out there and grabbed 9 boards.

Yep. That's why I put the 0-8 part. If mason misses that shot after going even 3 for 8 then then its not so bad. But then again if mase goes 3-8 spurs aren't in that position

gospursgojas
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
And what about all those regular season games that Mason won last year? Bonner sucked hard in the playoffs too but that never stopped him from getting rewarded. Hell he was given the starting job this year and proceeded to pinch a big loaf. What did Mason get? A demotion in favor of Keith Bogans, whom Poppovich thinks is the centerpiece of the team despite playing awful basketball for most of the year.

I doubt this has to do w/ lack of balls, it's a case of Mason simply doesn't care anymore, he's probably seething at Popovich screwing up his role and minutes on the team and his heart is not there anymore.

Everygame from now on is like a playoff game.

And being pissed and sulking is some high schools shit. I had mase pegged as more or a professional than that

ElNono
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Mason is simply not who the FO thought he was. Neither is Bonner, nor Bogans. Or Finley, or Jefferson, or Dice for that matter.

Now, RJ, Dice and Bogans we didn't know because they just joined the team this season. But the rest were already identified, and all movable assets since they were all expiring. Now, if you tell me the FO couldn't move them because nobody would take them, then that right there should tell you what kind of talent you're dealing with.

rjv
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
the play is irrelevant. what mattered most was that 2 spurs showed up to play while the cavs team stayed focused and played as a unit with something to prove.

wildbill2u
03-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Mason was having a bad night. Why not go with the better percentages shooter like Bonner or even Hill?

Great play, bad choice of shooter.

tmtcsc
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Mason missed a wide open 3 pointer. It was a great play to run and was executed flawlessly except for the F'n miss.

Roger Mason has been a huge disappointment this season. He pretty much gave up on the season when he said 'We ain't winning a Championship without Tony.". Really ?

I'm fine with fans giving up or being realistic or not believing...but a player has to keep playing and believing. We still have a lot of talent and should never quit believing.

Tony's production can be replaced. Manu's not so much. When Manu went down a couple of years back, Pop was being realistic about our chances. Losing Tony is tough but I think we can win without him.

JR3
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I enjoyed this game and what manu did. wish we would have won. on a regular spurs year... mason hits that shot. I think our chances were just as good with a wide open mason or an on fire manu with 3 guys on him. I'm freakin done with jefferson. He just flat out sucks.

alchemist
03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Fuck Popovich I don't feel sorry at all for him. I'm glad Roger gave him zilch and made him look like the complete ass that he is.

Poppabitch should have used his "centerpiece" if he wants a critical shot made, hell all the popsuckers swear he's just as good as Roger at shooting
If his players keep failing him nobody wins dipshit.

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
No complaints . . .

The Spurs Execute, But Can’t Finish (http://nbaplaybook.com/2010/03/09/the-spurs-execute-but-cant-finish/)
Sebastian Pruiti

Usually when I talk about plays late in games, they end up resulting in a win or a tie. Last night against the Cavs, the Spurs missed a game tying three point shot, but we are still going to talk about it here. Why? It was one of the best late game play calls I have seen in a really long time.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play1.jpg
The Spurs start this play by sending George Hill into the far corner, Manu Ginobili into the near corner, and Roger Mason off of a Tim Duncan screen right to the ball. It looks like the Spurs are trying to set up a quick hitter for Roger Mason off the inbounds, but Richard Jefferson inbounds it to Manu instead.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play2.jpg
As Ginobili starts to back down his man, it looks like Roger Mason is going to continue off of the Duncan screen and get a handoff for the three point shot. Mason’s man, Anthony Parker, recognizes this and seems to try and beat him to the spot.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play3.jpg
However, as soon as Parker gets in front of Mason, he stops and comes off of another Duncan screen on the opposite side. This action happens quick and the Cavs aren’t really expecting it which is why there is no help from Anderson Varejao as Mason comes off the second screen.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play4.jpg
Manu makes the pass, and now Jamario Moon is put into a pretty tough spot. He is one guy who has to now defend two. If he closes out too hard, there is still enough time for Mason to pass it to Hill for the open three. Trying to figure out what to do causes Moon to hesitate a bit.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play5.jpg
This hesitation is what allows Roger Mason to get off a wide open look. He misses it, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great play. Here is a look at it in real time:
mKbIDUv4Hps&feature=player_embedded

alchemist
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
No complaints . . .

The Spurs Execute, But Can’t Finish (http://nbaplaybook.com/2010/03/09/the-spurs-execute-but-cant-finish/)
Sebastian Pruiti

Usually when I talk about plays late in games, they end up resulting in a win or a tie. Last night against the Cavs, the Spurs missed a game tying three point shot, but we are still going to talk about it here. Why? It was one of the best late game play calls I have seen in a really long time.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play1.jpg
The Spurs start this play by sending George Hill into the far corner, Manu Ginobili into the near corner, and Roger Mason off of a Tim Duncan screen right to the ball. It looks like the Spurs are trying to set up a quick hitter for Roger Mason off the inbounds, but Richard Jefferson inbounds it to Manu instead.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play2.jpg
As Ginobili starts to back down his man, it looks like Roger Mason is going to continue off of the Duncan screen and get a handoff for the three point shot. Mason’s man, Anthony Parker, recognizes this and seems to try and beat him to the spot.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play3.jpg
However, as soon as Parker gets in front of Mason, he stops and comes off of another Duncan screen on the opposite side. This action happens quick and the Cavs aren’t really expecting it which is why there is no help from Anderson Varejao as Mason comes off the second screen.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play4.jpg
Manu makes the pass, and now Jamario Moon is put into a pretty tough spot. He is one guy who has to now defend two. If he closes out too hard, there is still enough time for Mason to pass it to Hill for the open three. Trying to figure out what to do causes Moon to hesitate a bit.
http://nbaplaybook.com/images/SpursExecuteButMiss/Play5.jpg
This hesitation is what allows Roger Mason to get off a wide open look. He misses it, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great play. Here is a look at it in real time:
mKbIDUv4Hps&feature=player_embedded
Like I said in the game thread. Pop is the best at X's & O's, this was such a brilliant play. Unfortunately his guys keep coming up short.

nkdlunch
03-09-2010, 03:06 PM
you know Spurs are in a sad state when fans start breaking down plays vs. Lebron-less, Jamison-less, Z-less, Cavaliers D-League team :( :(

TJastal
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Like I said in the game thread. Pop is the best at X's & O's, this was such a brilliant play. Unfortunately his guys keep coming up short.

lol its a simple pick by Duncan at the top of the key lets not get carried away

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
That wasn't a Spurs fan who broke down the play and that's a hilarious take, TJ.:lol

Cane
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
That was a great play, unfortunately Mason Jr. has been sucking ass ever since the Rodeo Trip.

Pop definitely deserves respect once in a while :)

alchemist
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
lol its a simple pick by Duncan at the top of the key lets not get carried away
okay simpleton

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Pop is definitely the best x's and o's coach in the NBA, he always runs genius plays when the Spurs need a 3 in these types of situations..

They had a great play for Manu earlier in the season too, but he missed that wide open 3 from the baseline..they used to run that play for Finley very often on the baseline, and it worked more often than not..I was at the game vs. New York 2 years ago when they ran that play and sent it to OT..

dbestpro
03-09-2010, 04:02 PM
RMJ did not lose the game with the missed 3 point shot, nor did RJ with the shuffle of the feet, Duncan with his lazy passes or Bogans with his 4 inches too short D. It was the combination of a lack of respect for your opponent, which equates to poor focus and all of the above. The Spurs talk about respecting their oppenents, but too many players take too many plays off when the stars are not on the court. We just are not that good anymore to keep having that attitude.

spurs10
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't think that will happen, as Pop and the team will put that unfortunate loss behind them. RMJ will need to play his way out of his slump and I doubt his coach wants to further mess with his confidence with TP out. I agree with everyone, in their obvious assessment, that nobody showed up for the game except Manu and Hill, but I'm hoping that it shakes that bench alive....any self respecting baller will surely want redemption.

Spurious
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I just had a horrible thought. I find myself wondering if Finley would have hit that 3.

jimo2305
03-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I just had a horrible thought. I find myself wondering if Finley would have hit that 3.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/31/omg_monacle.gif

Mr Bones
03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
you know Spurs are in a sad state when fans start breaking down plays vs. Lebron-less, Jamison-less, Z-less, Cavaliers D-League team :( :(

Not to mention Shaq-less.