PDA

View Full Version : More Malik Hairston!

DMX7
03-09-2010, 04:35 AM
I want to see more of this guy. Do it, Pop!!!

objective
03-09-2010, 04:40 AM
*cue up the "practice-posters" to declare that if Hairston deserved minutes he'd get them, he must have been awful in the monthly practices, and that Bogans is the centerpiece (non-sarcastically).

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2010, 04:45 AM
That dunk probably bought him a few more weeks on the bench...

I haven't been a fan of Pop's coaching this season, but I'm loving him for giving us the Centerpiece nickname..it's already a classic..

angelbelow
03-09-2010, 05:42 AM
video for dunk?

TJastal
03-09-2010, 06:32 AM
C'mon guys get real if Hairston was any good Pop would be playing him more. He sucks, that's why he's glued to the bench, Pop knows best stfu he sees him in practice you idiots don't cmon already and anyway he doesn't hold a candle to the centerpiece of the spurs attack, Keith Bogans I mean are u serious? Bogans is kickin it in practice obviously he's better so stfu already.

*cue up the "practice-posters" to declare that if Hairston deserved minutes he'd get them, he must have been awful in the monthly practices, and that Bogans is the centerpiece (non-sarcastically).

I thought I'd save em the trouble. :lol

objective
03-09-2010, 07:18 AM
video for dunk?

don't got it, but it looked like it happened when 2 Cavs went to block out Mahinmi after he got position on Varajao (including West who was on Hairston) and Hickson was just standing around as Hairston got in for the putback slam.

objective
03-09-2010, 07:19 AM
C'mon guys get real if Hairston was any good Pop would be playing him more. He sucks, that's why he's glued to the bench, Pop knows best stfu he sees him in practice you idiots don't cmon already and anyway he doesn't hold a candle to the centerpiece of the spurs attack, Keith Bogans I mean are u serious? Bogans is kickin it in practice obviously he's better so stfu already.

I thought I'd save em the trouble. :lol

You forgot that he's a bulldog who looks like Bruce Bogans. :lol

silverblackfan
03-09-2010, 08:20 AM
don't got it, but it looked like it happened when 2 Cavs went to block out Mahinmi after he got position on Varajao (including West who was on Hairston) and Hickson was just standing around as Hairston got in for the putback slam.

it was a nice put back and the only time I jumped out of my seat all game, except for Manu's heroics. I haven't seen enough of Ian to form a solid opinion, but Malik has shown good promise every time he steps on the floor. Hustle defense, boards well, leaps great and attacks. If his 3 point shot is there, this guy should get Mason/Bogans minutes for a game and see if he can out play them.

tothrowed
03-09-2010, 08:26 AM
play malik

poop
03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
i hope he continues to get more minutes, every single time he shows solid potential and still looks better than bogan or mason in every concieveable fashion.

LOL at 'daron williams' or whatever that scrubs name is scoring 5 posessions in a row on our 'defensive stopper' LMAO

TJastal
03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
i hope he continues to get more minutes, every single time he shows solid potential and still looks better than bogan or mason in every concieveable fashion.

LOL at 'daron williams' or whatever that scrubs name is scoring 5 posessions in a row on our 'defensive stopper' LMAO

He's our centerpiece you know. Pop says so and I believe it.

Just Believe!!!!

:lmao

Obstructed_View
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
it was a nice put back and the only time I jumped out of my seat all game, except for Manu's heroics. I haven't seen enough of Ian to form a solid opinion, but Malik has shown good promise every time he steps on the floor. Hustle defense, boards well, leaps great and attacks. If his 3 point shot is there, this guy should get Mason/Bogans minutes for a game and see if he can out play them.

Considering the performance of the other guys, Hairston's a big step up if he never makes a three pointer this season.

poop
03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Considering the performance of the other guys, Hairston's a big step up if he never makes a three pointer this season.

exactly, i hope he never shoots a 3 in his life, if he instead attacks the rim.

jjktkk
03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Unlke Mahimni, Hairston, IMO, is starting to make the most of his limited oppurtunities. Which a young guy needs to do in order to take the next step. It requires desire, which I'm sure Mahimni has, but toughness as well, which Mahimni currently has not shown enough. By next year I can definitely see Hairston replacing Bogans, and or Mason.

nkdlunch
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
unlke mahimni, hairston, imo, is starting to make the most of his limited oppurtunities. Which a young guy needs to do in order to take the next step. It requires desire, which i'm sure mahimni has, but toughness as well, which mahimni currently has not shown enough. By next year i can definitely see hairston replacing bogans, and or mason.

++++1

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/img/8a20/MemberAction/2901c.jpg

MORE HAIRSTON!

ulosturedge
03-09-2010, 09:08 PM
I just don't see what the deal is. I see absolutely no risk in letting Malik take Bogans minutes. He knows enough of the system from his stint in the d-league. The gamble can only pay off, it can't hurt you. What Bogans does for us on the court is a complete fucking delusion. It pisses me off to no end. Pop grow some balls and take some risks. I promise you things can't get any worse then it already is...

Nathan Explosion
03-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I just don't see what the deal is. I see absolutely no risk in letting Malik take Bogans minutes. He knows enough of the system from his stint in the d-league. The gamble can only pay off, it can't hurt you. What Bogans does for us on the court is a complete fucking delusion. It pisses me off to no end. Pop grow some balls and take some risks. I promise you things can't get any worse then it already is...

I consistently see Malik out of position on defense. I'd imagine that's a big reason why he's on the bench.

Now, having said that, I'm not saying that it's a real detriment to the team, seeing as how bad the Spurs perimeter D has been all season. I think his athleticism can overcome the mistakes in the beginning while he gets his bearings on defense. And I'd rather have Malik attack the basket rather than Bogans.

As for Ian, I wouldn't mind seeing him play because the Spurs need to do something, anything. It's like when Romo was on the bench behind Bledsoe and Cowboys fans were screaming for Romo. We didn't know if he was any good, we just knew that Bledsoe was done and we wanted the Boys to just do something different.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 01:42 AM
I consistently see Malik out of position on defense.

And where exactly do you see this? Since he's not getting consistent minutes, are you watching tape of when he was at Oregon?

L.I.T
03-10-2010, 02:23 AM
It looks like the Spurs are going to make the playoffs no matter what. But, without Parker they really can't make a real push to get a higher seed and possible homecourt advantage in the first round.

Why not play the young guy and see if anything develops there. If he turns out to be a damn fine defensive player then the Spurs are that much stronger when Parker comes back in the first round. Having some young experienced legs that can inject some energy.

Aside from that, Mason looks like no-confidence POS, unless Pop is planning on running Manu into the ground at SG he needs someone who can come in and play 10 minutes over the next few games and not be a sieve on defense or a void on offense.

And one more...with TP out, the only guys who have shown a consistent ability to slash and attack the basket are Manu, RJeff (in spots) and Hairston in his limited minutes.

AussieFanKurt
03-10-2010, 02:58 AM
he had a good put back vs cavs ay

FeZZy
03-10-2010, 03:55 AM
yes please

DMX7
03-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Let's make this thread a movement.

AussieFanKurt
03-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Someone make it official

AusSpursFan
03-10-2010, 05:38 AM
seriously, Hairston has to be an improvement on Bogans

spursrocks
03-10-2010, 08:16 AM
shit! no way is poop going to play hairston. poop just said that bogans is the centerpiece of this team.
if thats the case. we're done. just enjoy the rest of the season, and to lose in the 1st round of the PO against maybe(lakers, denver or dallas)

silverblk mystix
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Hairston actually EARNED the starting job at the beginning of the season....he had a tremendous summer...

The ONLY person that didn't agree was Pop....

oh well...I will FORCE myself to look at the bright side; at least Finley is gone....

MrFundamental
03-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Hairston actually EARNED the starting job at the beginning of the season....he had a tremendous summer...
A good summer session doesn't always translate into good NBA play. Giving someone a starting spot based off that would be ridiculous, especially given the Spurs' roster at the beginning of the year.

Nathan Explosion
03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
And where exactly do you see this? Since he's not getting consistent minutes, are you watching tape of when he was at Oregon?

Every time he steps on the court, he has at least one blown assignment. The best example is the Suns game when he went under a screen on Steve Nash. I mean, Nash for Christ's sakes.

Again, I wasn't trashing the guy, just saying that that's what happens. Having said that, I would like to see more of him.

Nathan Explosion
03-10-2010, 02:28 PM
A good summer session doesn't always translate into good NBA play. Giving someone a starting spot based off that would be ridiculous, especially given the Spurs' roster at the beginning of the year.

George Hill had a terrible summer his rookie year and played fairly well to start.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Every time he steps on the court, he has at least one blown assignment. The best example is the Suns game when he went under a screen on Steve Nash. I mean, Nash for Christ's sakes.

Again, I wasn't trashing the guy, just saying that that's what happens. Having said that, I would like to see more of him.

LOL Hairston sat on the bench the entire game and then Pop put him on Nash at the end of a tight game and Duncan didn't even step up on the pick and roll. I'm personally mad at a coach that would set up a player to fail like that. I swear Mahinmi and Hairston's floor time looks more like Pop's trying to make a case not to play them.

If he's going to do that with consistent minutes then I'm all for not letting him play. Like you said, I'd like to see more of him so we can find out for sure.

Nathan Explosion
03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
LOL Hairston sat on the bench the entire game and then Pop put him on Nash at the end of a tight game

That's called being a pro. A professional is always ready when called, is asked to know his assignments when he's on the floor. These guys get paid at least 6 figures to play a game, so I'm sure Pop would like them to know the basics when called upon.

Just saying.

jimo2305
03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.spike.com/video/oliver-twist-please/2679987

silverblk mystix
03-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Really...it does not sound so ridiculous to me...

giving someone a starting job because of what they DID in training camp seems to make a lot of sense...it lets the team know that you EARN things...

as opposed to handing it to FINLEY who hasn't EARNED anything in a few years..

but...i can agree that maybe someone else could have started...based on many factors...(Manu, Tim,etc...)

BUT---isn't it REASONABLE to think that Hairston's training camp/summer performance at least EARNED him a chance to start the season with significant minutes to see if his summer was a fluke---or if he was possibly a good NBA player...?

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
That's called being a pro. A professional is always ready when called, is asked to know his assignments when he's on the floor. These guys get paid at least 6 figures to play a game, so I'm sure Pop would like them to know the basics when called upon.

Just saying.

Then by that rationale, Duncan's not a pro because he fucked that play up as well. And Bogans fucks up despite being on the floor for most of the games.

Just saying.

Mr. Body
03-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Don't really get the complaints about blown assignments. Isn't it more court time that helps a player learn the rotations?

DMX7
03-11-2010, 01:45 AM
slowly gaining movement status.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 01:48 AM
The movement's been there for a couple of years, but the numbers are mounting. :tu

MaNu4Tres
03-11-2010, 01:54 AM
If I recall correctly, R.C Buford stated in the beginning of the season that he had never seen a player improve as much in one year as Hairston did from last year to this year.

Anyone have that quote?

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Sure that wasn't in regards to Hill?

HarlemHeat37
03-11-2010, 02:01 AM
It was from an interview that 48minofhell did during training camp..

“RC [Buford] pointed out Marcus Williams and Malik Hairston as players they were excited about coming over from the Toros. He specifically mentioned Hairston as being the most improved player they’d ever seen coming from the D-League.”

MaNu4Tres
03-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Sure that wasn't in regards to Hill?

That was Popovich.

I think I found what I was looking for.

The story of today’s scrimmage was Parker, Ginobili, Blair, and in that order. After those three, I’d argue that Malik Hairston was the most impressive Spur. Quoting Rick Ashford, yet again: “RC [Buford] pointed out Marcus Williams and Malik Hairston as players they were excited about coming over from the Toros. He specifically mentioned Hairston as being the most improved player they’d ever seen coming from the D-League.” Hairston is a cagey defender with a deceptively effective ability to score. It’s not unthinkable that Hairston and Marcus Haislip earn the lionshare of minutes behind Richard Jefferson. And yes, I realize I’m excluding Mike Finley and Keith Bogans. Go Toros!

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/10/04/spurs-vs-spurs-training-camp-scrimmage/

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I remembered him praising him but I didn't think it was the most improvement ever in one year; coming out of the D-League rings a bell.

Nice to see that counts for something with Pop.:lol

Obstructed_View
03-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Yet Pop continues to start the least improved starter in the entire NBA.

Nathan Explosion
03-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Then by that rationale, Duncan's not a pro because he fucked that play up as well. And Bogans fucks up despite being on the floor for most of the games.

Just saying.

That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard on this board. You're trying to compare someone who hasn't proven anything in the NBA to one of the 10 greatest players in the history of the league.

Duncan may have messed up, but the 4 banners, 3 Finals MVP and 2 MVPs on his mantle more than make up for his mistakes. The thing is, when you're trying to earn playing time and the trust of a coach, the last thing you can afford is mistakes. Especially considering that while you may not like Finley, his career has more highlights than lowlights in comparison with Hairston.

As for Bogans, I don't like him in there either, but at least he understands what it is to be a pro in the league.

What you all don't think about is that Pop is with Hairston every day, in the locker room, during film sessions, during shootarounds, and when there's time, practice.

We haven't a clue what Hairston's work ethic and preparation is like on a day to day basis. Pop does. Coaches like to go with what is proven over what is unproven, no matter how much us fans cry for change, myself included.

Take a look at Blair. Blair had one proven skill that we know translates from college to the NBA, rebounding. Blair can grab rebounds because he understands spacing and how to throw his body around.

Hairston has attributes, but no one proven skill. He can get to the rim but hasn't shown he can hit an outside shot consistently. If he fails to show that, teams will learn very quickly (like they did last year) and force Hairston to hit outside jumpers. His ability to get to the rim will be negated by his bad jumpshot if he can't hit it.

So what's his proven skill that merits playing time in your opinion? Can he be a lockdown defender? Can he be a deadly shooter? Can he run the point and create for everyone else in a Jason Kidd sort of way?

Again, I like what I saw from Hairston, and I'd love to see more of him because I think he's an upgrade over Mason and Bogans at the moment. But Mason and Bogans have shown an ability in the past to spread the floor and create room for Hill and Gino (and Parker when healthy) to get to the rim or Duncan to post up.

IMO opinion, Pop wants to see Hairston play good defense (stay in position to make a play) and hit jumpers. If he can do that successfully, I think Pop will reward him with increased playing time.

Unfortunately, if he can't do that, we're stuck with more Bogans off nights (aka a normal game for Bogans) and Mason bricking 3s and over dribbling the ball.

ElNono
03-11-2010, 09:32 AM
The whole 'work ethic' thing is a bunch of baloney... did his work ethic suddenly went off the charts that he now deserved to play the entire 4th quarter?
Mason and Finley might be super-pros and have outstanding work ethic, but when the game comes, they lay a turd, then they're offended because they get no minutes...
Hairston didn't bitch when he was repeatedly sent to the Toros, or when he was the last guy on the bench. And when the minutes came his way, he went out there and played with the hunger of somebody that has something to prove.
We need more guys like him, instead of pansies that go through the motions and supposedly have great 'work ethic'.

SenorSpur
03-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Hustle, energy, effort, transition D, making the right rotations and decisions. I saw all of that out of Hairston - and then some. Those commodities should buy him more time on the floor.

DMX7
03-12-2010, 04:15 AM
And then god said, "Let there be Hairston!" and there was Hairston.