PDA

View Full Version : "..this team is built for the playoffs..."

cheguevara
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
why does every commentator say this shit about the Spurs?? I heard it on ESPN, ABC, TNT and the various local ones.

Are they seeing something I'm not? or are they just saying that to be nice. Because I don't see how this team is built for the playoffs if we can't win close games and fold in the 2nd half of games.

How are we built for the playoffs with RJ, Mason, Bogans and Bonner playing major minutes????

boutons_deux
03-09-2010, 10:29 AM
They mean this team is built and coached to watch the playoffs

in2deep
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
they are just being nice

boutons_deux
03-09-2010, 10:48 AM
sports "journalists" are parrots, repeating phrases over and over by rote.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Mostly a "cover your ass" kind of thing I expect. When people have tried to throw dirt on the Spurs grave in the past they've paid for it, enough so that now that's it's probably safe to do so the media is a little slow to do it.

George Gervin's Afro
03-09-2010, 11:04 AM
huh?

Cane
03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Because the best players on the Spurs squad have combined-averages of over ten minutes per game less compared to other teams.

Duncan won't be averaging just 32 minutes a game come playoff time and he won't be taking as many jumpshots either. Not only that but he always seems to play in another gear even last year despite nagging injuries.

Russ
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
That "built for the playoffs" phrase went away a few years ago -- when the NBA came down on physical D.

doobs
03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
What cracks me up is when other teams' commentators talk about what a good defensive team the Spurs are. It's always said in a way to congratulate the other team for scoring 100+ points on "a good defensive team like the Spurs."

Bartleby
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I always interpret that to mean a veteran team that plays physically and thrives in a half court game. Unfortunately, it seems only the first seems to apply these days.

phxspurfan
03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I think they meant the good ol' gays when we used to play defense and put smart lineups out there that came through in close games.

mexicanjunior
03-09-2010, 04:36 PM
They are still living in 2007...

JP le Requin
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhHA1vYwUDM&feature=player_embedded

phxspurfan
03-09-2010, 06:32 PM
What I don't get is the GLEN ROBINSON RICHARD JEFFERSON anomaly...

Glen Robinson/Richard Jefferson

both 67 both "scorers" both about 225

Glen comes to the spurs and ACTUALLY PLAYS DEFENSE and provides TIMELY OUTSIDE SHOOTING

Richard Gets here and is a mess

I don't know if its more of a PJ thing or a PF thing

that it's is that P.J. Carlesimo was that much a factor or Pop wanting Richard to play POWER FORWARD has fucked up Richard Jefferson game that much

Glenn Robinson was not in his prime as RJ can be said to be. The Big Dog also didn't come with expectations anywhere close to 4th Banana RJ.

Bukefal
03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Where did you hear/see that? Because ive heard several times on espn them saying the spurs are near their end for this season, almost no chance in the playoffs and that this week came their last blow. They used to be pretty positive, when the Spurs were not doing so well this season, but now I think it seems they are pretty negative on us.

But it is true, that some expect the spurs to rock come playoff time though.

slayermin
03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
You can't buy championship experience and the Spurs have it. That is why there is always hope.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
why does every commentator say this shit about the Spurs?? I heard it on ESPN, ABC, TNT and the various local ones.

Are they seeing something I'm not? or are they just saying that to be nice. Because I don't see how this team is built for the playoffs if we can't win close games and fold in the 2nd half of games.

How are we built for the playoffs with RJ, Mason, Bogans and Bonner playing major minutes????

They are just hedging their bets. They probably don't watch enough Spurs to see the rapid decline this season, so they figure we'll still be there when it counts. Few people ever want to admit they are wrong, especially media types, so instead they have 50c each way and play the "built for the playoffs" card. Sad and predictable really.

vander
03-09-2010, 08:22 PM
speaking of playoffs

according to this site, the western conference playoff race is all but over

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NBA/Western.html

8th spot (Portland) = 95.5% playoff probability
9th spot = 3.8%

so much for that heated 11-teams-for-8-spots race, look at the line graph for Houston :lol and I thought their trades were great, must be chemistry

spursncowboys
03-09-2010, 08:32 PM
i think it is true to an extent. the spurs can adjust in playoff series better than most. they have proved it.

superjames1992
03-09-2010, 09:33 PM
What cracks me up is when other teams' commentators talk about what a good defensive team the Spurs are. It's always said in a way to congratulate the other team for scoring 100+ points on "a good defensive team like the Spurs."
Statistically, the Spurs are a good defensive team. The team is 10th in the NBA in points allowed.

Sean Cagney
03-09-2010, 11:07 PM
sports "journalists" are parrots, repeating phrases over and over by rote.

Yep, like the boring thing we had or years although we went to 7 game series in the playoffs and ran with the Suns in all those series putting up 100pts or so! They just say it to say it because it's been said before. It does not apply now true indeed, but they still will say it.

Flux451
03-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Are you pulling out the ole VHS tapes?