PDA

View Full Version : 43% have less than $10k for retirement

coyotes_geek
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
CG: This is both sad and frightening. The amount of income social security will be able to provide is only going to decrease as time goes on. Pensions are in bad shape too. People need to wake up and start planning.

43% have less than $10k for retirement
By Chavon Sutton, staff reporterMarch 9, 2010: 8:21 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The percentage of American workers with virtually no retirement savings grew for the third straight year, according to a survey released Tuesday.

The percentage of workers who said they have less than $10,000 in savings grew to 43% in 2010, from 39% in 2009, according to the Employee Benefit Research Institute's annual Retirement Confidence Survey. That excludes the value of primary homes and defined-benefit pension plans.

Confidence in ability to save enough for a comfortable retirement hovered at 16% of respondents, the second lowest point in the 20-year history of the survey.

A drop in the bucket
"Americans' attitudes toward retirement have clearly tracked the economy the last couple of years, and that seems to be the case in 2010," said Jack VanDerhei, EBRI's research director and co-author of the survey, in a statement.

The percentage of workers who said they have saved for retirement fell to 69%, from 75% in 2009.

While VanDerhei attributed the decline in current savings rates to job losses, mortgage problems and the suspension of corporate 401(k) matches in 2009, he said the economy isn't entirely to blame.

"In previous years, there were a whole lot of people who had nothing to begin with," said VanDerhei.

The gap between what Americans have saved and what they'd need for retirement is forcing workers to prolong their working years.

According to the survey, 24% of workers said they have postponed their planned retirement age in the past year, up from 14% in 2008.

But even as fears over health care costs and job prospects mount, the survey found that only 46% of workers have tried to calculate what they need for a comfortable standard of living in their golden years.

"People just don't want to think about this," said VanDerhei. "Everybody thinks they're too young to think about it, until suddenly they're too old to do anything about it."

In general, financial planners say that retirement savings, including Social Security benefits and pension, should be large enough to provide about 80% of pre-retirement income.

To reach that target, "most Americans need to be saving within the healthy range of 6% - 10% (of their salary)," said Beth McHugh, vice president of workplace investing for Fidelity Investments.

But the survey found that 54% of the workers with some form of savings said that they have less than $25,000 stowed away.

Delaying retirement, though not ideal, is a good sign that people are finally facing reality.

"People have figured out that they don't have enough money," VanDerhei said. "Still, I'd rather they bite the bullet today, rather than take the chance that they'd have a job when they are 65."

The EBRI surveyed 1,153 U.S. workers and retirees, age 25 and older, in January.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/09/pf/retirement_confidence/index.htm?hpt=T2

EmptyMan
03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
compound interest my friends

You snooze you lose.

$Millions$.

Drachen
03-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Does this include adults who haven't worked long enough to save 10k? I don't doubt an enormous amount of people have not saved for their retirement, and that sucks because we will all pay for that irresponsibility, but it seems unfair to include those who are 27 or so and under.

Wild Cobra
03-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Does this include adults who haven't worked long enough to save 10k? I don't doubt an enormous amount of people have not saved for their retirement, and that sucks because we will all pay for that irresponsibility, but it seems unfair to include those who are 27 or so and under.
I was wondering the same thing myself. However, I save in excess of $10k annual to my retirement plan.

coyotes_geek
03-09-2010, 11:40 AM

The article says 25 and older, with over 1000 total respondants. Agreed that if there's an overweighted number of 25-29 year olds in there that the numbers could be a little skewed. But I wouldn't think by much. I certainly don't think it's unfair to expect a high percentage of 30 year olds to have saved up at least $10k.

Wild Cobra
03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
The article says 25 and older, with over 1000 total respondants. Agreed that if there's an overweighted number of 25-29 year olds in there that the numbers could be a little skewed. But I wouldn't think by much. I certainly don't think it's unfair to expect a high percentage of 30 year olds to have saved up at least $10k.
I personally think it should have been broken down by age. Someine in their 20's can still build up retirement saving if they have less than $10k. What good does $10k do for someone in their 60's?

coyotes_geek
03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I personally think it should have been broken down by age. Someine in their 20's can still build up retirement saving if they have less than $10k. What good does $10k do for someone in their 60's?

Agreed. That would be good info to know. The article is pretty much just a finger-in-the-wind assessment. Just enough to identify that there is something to be concerned about, but not enough details to know exactly what. That being said, I would think it's highly unlikely that 43% of the respondents to this poll were in their late 20's-early 30's.

Wild Cobra
03-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Agreed. That would be good info to know. The article is pretty much just a finger-in-the-wind assessment. Just enough to identify that there is something to be concerned about, but not enough details to know exactly what. That being said, I would think it's highly unlikely that 43% of the respondents to this poll were in their late 20's-early 30's.
Lets face it. Too many people simply cannot afford to save. Still, I would say most of them, it's because of their own life choices. I hope if there is going to be concern on this topic, it brings positive result to encourage better education and responsibility, rather than a reason for more tax dollars.

Blake
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm calling it now.

In the year 2045, if you don't have a college degree, chances are that you will get passed over for the door greeter job at Walmart.

Blake
03-09-2010, 12:32 PM

I'd like to know what the repsondents debt-income ratios currenlty are.

SouthernFried
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
There have been some proposals, over the years...to allow younger folk to opt out of part of SS in favor of putting that money aside themeselves. Wish some of that woulda passed. It's not really relevant to me, but to the younger folk I would like to see them have more future opportunities. Maybe it'll still come to pass, and for their sake...I hope it does.