PDA

View Full Version : what do u learn in drawing class

spursballer21
03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
what do u learn in drawing class i plan to join some at UTB TSC
i know u learn how to draw so dont say that
what else
do you learn how use prismas or what
i plan to join some drawing classes where i can learn prismacolors and color but dont know which classes to take
any advice from u guys is welcome

koriwhat
03-09-2010, 11:37 PM
you learn most drawing professors are full of themselves when in reality they suck ass at drawing and can't teach worth a damn!

2Blonde
03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
You will learn...
- how to shade using different pencils
- shapes
- perspectives ( how to add depth & how things look different depending on the perspective)
- how light effects your drawings
- about the flow of drawing and how to draw using one continuous line ( this is generally an exercise to warm you up
- placement of different elements on the page and how they make something visually intriguing.
- you will learn about different erasers, tortillons (sp), pencils, graphites, charcoals, papers.

Enjoy it, it should be fun.

Dex
03-10-2010, 02:16 PM
All of the above.

You will also learn how to have every tiny aspect of your work torn apart by strangers and get to hear all of the strange subjective ideas people get about art.

Ahh, I miss critique days.

BeefAnus II
03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
To draw!!!!!!!!

BeefAnus II
03-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Things

jack sommerset
03-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Naked ladies

BeefAnus II
03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Naked ladies
na he is a spurs fan he will be drawing nude men long before ladies

BeefAnus II
03-10-2010, 04:21 PM
and yes i just called all spurs fans gay. mavs owen!

jack sommerset
03-10-2010, 04:24 PM
and yes i just called all spurs fans gay. mavs owen!

Yeah they are.

koriwhat
03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
you're better off buying the supplies and downloading all the drawing pdfs off some torrent site and learning that way. trust me!

you don't waste money, you don't have to deal with a pos teacher who is a knowitall, you don't have to deal with loser ass art students who all are a bunch of cocksuckers, and you get to do all this in your own living room.

CuckingFunt
03-10-2010, 04:50 PM
You will learn...
- how to shade using different pencils
- shapes
- perspectives ( how to add depth & how things look different depending on the perspective)
- how light effects your drawings
- about the flow of drawing and how to draw using one continuous line ( this is generally an exercise to warm you up
- placement of different elements on the page and how they make something visually intriguing.
- you will learn about different erasers, tortillons (sp), pencils, graphites, charcoals, papers.

Enjoy it, it should be fun.

And the best thing you'll learn from a drawing class is how to see.

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2010, 05:12 PM
you're better off buying the supplies and downloading all the drawing pdfs off some torrent site and learning that way. trust me!

you don't waste money, you don't have to deal with a pos teacher who is a knowitall, you don't have to deal with loser ass art students who all are a bunch of cocksuckers, and you get to do all this in your own living room.

That pretty much sums up my sentiments about the art classes I had to take for architecture.

spursballer21
03-13-2010, 08:16 PM
well i think some of u guys have seen my artwork from last year before espcially u 2blonde

i have new pieces but i havent had time to upload them so u can see them

and yes i kinda already know how to shade with diferent but i really cant use them with everything
and idk anyting about light ,shapes, pespective
i know how to use tortillons though

so lets say i take this class and learn all this in drawign 2 im guessing it woule be color pencil?
i wana learn how to use color pencils
i can shade pretty good

DJ Mbenga
03-14-2010, 04:34 AM
i was in a shitty school district, our teacher was some crazy black lady in a wheelchair that smelled like urine that would call you up to her desk and then say "get out of here you!". she lacked control of the class, and was so oblivious to what occurred that one person submitted a drawing of him pushing her off a cliff and she graded that an A

Capt Bringdown
03-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Don't know what this particular class entails, but if you want to learn how to draw, life drawing (aka figure drawing) classes are essential. This is the way drawing has been taught since time began. By drawing the figure, you will learn form, light, perspective, design etc. You can't learn drawing from a book or video. There's no substitute for life drawing.

Typically, in life drawing classes, you'd be using traditional tools like charcoal and conte crayon.

spursballer21
03-14-2010, 08:58 AM
well right now i suck at drawing from still lifes and real life
but i can draw anything from a picture
in black and white
i wana learn color pencil

and does charcoal and conte crayon give u transition?

koriwhat
03-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Don't know what this particular class entails, but if you want to learn how to draw, life drawing (aka figure drawing) classes are essential. This is the way drawing has been taught since time began. By drawing the figure, you will learn form, light, perspective, design etc. You can't learn drawing from a book or video. There's no substitute for life drawing.

Typically, in life drawing classes, you'd be using traditional tools like charcoal and conte crayon.

sure you can and then after you watch those videos and read those books you apply their techniques and attend some $5 open nude model classes and also go outside and draw a bunch of gesture drawings.

gesture drawing is what teaches you how to draw and draw fast and accurate. sitting in a class listening to some hack doesn't teach you shit!

Capt Bringdown
03-15-2010, 09:59 AM
sure you can and then after you watch those videos and read those books you apply their techniques and attend some $5 open nude model classes and also go outside and draw a bunch of gesture drawings.

gesture drawing is what teaches you how to draw and draw fast and accurate. sitting in a class listening to some hack doesn't teach you shit!

Life drawing classes (aka drawing from a live figure) do not entail sitting around listening to a hack. If your class is in lecture format, then it's not a life drawing class, it's something else entirely. Simple.

As I said, I'm not referring to the particular class, at this particular institution, but in more general terms.

It's a great idea as you mention, to apply yourself and maintain a discipline of keeping a sketchbook. To learn how to draw, you've got to draw. But there's no substitute for feedback and learning from someone who will really push you, especially when you're starting out. Especially when that someone is an accomplished artist. That's essential. If you can find this type of environment outside of a classroom, then go for it.

But if you want to have a career in art for example, I think it best to go the route of the majority of working professionals, if you can afford it.

That being said, depending on what you want to do, there are some outstanding free resources out there.

Ever heard of John Kricfalusi? He's the creator/animator of Ren and Stimpy and a living legend of the animation industry. He's developed a FREE online Cartoon College. Follow his syllabus and post your artwork to a blog, and he will comment on your work. That's pretty amazing!

Edit: I haven't visited his site in a while, and now it looks like he's thinking about charging...grab it while you can!

John K Curriculum (http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.com/)