PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs must find way to fill void on bench

duncan228
03-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Spurs must find way to fill void on bench (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_must_find_way_to_fill_void_on_bench.html)
Jeff McDonald

The Spurs called Roger Mason Jr.'s number early in Cleveland, and they called it often. And with the game on the line late, coach Gregg Popovich called it again.

In a sense, this is what Mason was asking for three weeks ago, when his agent requested a trade — more playing time, more shots, enhanced opportunity.

He responded to more of all the above by going 0 for 8 from 3-point range in Monday's 97-95 streak-stopping loss to the Cavaliers, including a misfire off a designed play that could have tied the game in the waning moments.

“I wanted a chance to make up for some easy shots I missed,” said Mason, who finished with two points in 25:23. “It was one of those games that didn't bounce my way.”

With Tony Parker sidelined for six weeks, and with Manu Ginobili now a starter, there are sure to be more chances and more bounces for Mason.

Down to an 11-man roster, the Spurs have few other options. Afforded an increased role off the bench, Mason will have to play, and he will have to produce.

“There are games where it doesn't go how you want,” Mason said. “You have to have enough mental strength to fight through it.”

Mason will get another shot tonight against New York, as the Spurs work to solve their new most pressing problem. Replacing Ginobili off the bench might turn out to be a more difficult thing than replacing Parker in the starting lineup.

As he's been throughout Parker's season of injury and illness, George Hill was steady starting at point guard against Cleveland. He had 23 points, surpassed only by the season-high 38 Ginobili produced in his second start of the season.

The Spurs' reserves, by and large, were awful, and it wasn't just Mason misfiring.

Without Ginobili, the Spurs' bench — which averages an NBA-best 40.1 points per game — managed 17 against the Cavs. Richard Jefferson and DeJuan Blair — two players who had begun to thrive in concert with Ginobili on the second unit — combined for three points on 1-for-6 shooting.

Continuing tonight against the Knicks, Popovich aims to find a workable bench rotation in the wake of Ginobili's promotion.

“We're going to see a lot of different combinations,” Tim Duncan said. “Lineups are going to have to change. Guys are going to have to play different positions at different times. We're just going to have to work it.”

As the Spurs left for Memphis on Saturday, Popovich thought he already had the puzzle put together. Then, Parker fractured his hand in a win over the Grizzlies, scattering the jigsaw pieces across the floor.

It took Popovich in the neighborhood of 60 games to get comfortable with the pre-Memphis rotation. He hopes the latest reconfiguration takes something less than a while to gel.

“Because we don't have a while,” Popovich said.

The linchpin could be Mason, who will absorb some of Parker's minutes as a backup point guard, as well as Ginobili's vacated role as a bench scorer.

This is the kind of responsibility Mason envisioned coming out of his first season with the Spurs, which turned out to be a career year for him. Instead, Mason found himself so far out of Popovich's rotation by February that he contemplated a trade.

The Spurs need Mason now, with Parker out and Michael Finley gone. In the final moments in Cleveland, Popovich attempted to show Mason as much — drawing a play for him at the crucial juncture of a game that had already been, in the guard's words, “a nightmare.”

With the Spurs down three with 3.9 seconds left, Mason missed his eighth 3-point try. Given the opportunity to call the same play today, Popovich would do it again.

“He was the guy to go to,” Popovich said. “That's what he does.”

In the games to come, Mason hopes the Spurs go to him again.

Blackjack
03-10-2010, 01:10 AM
“We're going to see a lot of different combinations,” Tim Duncan said. “Lineups are going to have to change. Guys are going to have to play different positions at different times. We're just going to have to work it.”

:vomit:

:smchode:

:depressed

Sean Cagney
03-10-2010, 01:17 AM
:vomit:

:smchode:

:depressed

Were done, they are still confused and caught up this late in the year...... Damn this year is over now, after we got somewhat of a groove too.

SenorSpur
03-10-2010, 01:39 AM
The fact that this is second year of the Roger Mason, Jr. backup PG experiment means that Pop and R.C. did nothing to shore up the reserve position over the offseason. It baffles me how Pop could again put himself and the team in the position where they have virtually nothing behind Parker and Hill.

Forcing Mason to spend time at that spot clearly has an adverse affect on his overall game. It was a bad idea last year, and makes even less sense now. Dude has a notoriously bad handle, poor passing skills and can't get to the rim well.

The Spurs may have a desire to fill the void on the bench, but it wont be this year. They'll have to wait until the offseason.

AFBlue
03-10-2010, 01:47 AM
A couple of interesting tidbits...

“There are games where it doesn't go how you want,” Mason said. “You have to have enough mental strength to fight through it.”

As much as you hate to see the goose egg from Mason dismissed as "the ball didn't bounce my way", you have to admire that he's going to try to fight through it. We all know Mason can hit those shots and that he's strong mentally.

The painful truth is that the Spurs need him to produce to keep their collective heads above water. I hope he does fight through it and figure it out.

Without Ginobili, the Spurs' bench — which averages an NBA-best 40.1 points per game — managed 17 against the Cavs. Richard Jefferson and DeJuan Blair — two players who had begun to thrive in concert with Ginobili on the second unit — combined for three points on 1-for-6 shooting.

If I'm Pop I take a look at this statement and think "hmm, if RJ and Blair do better with Manu on the court, then maybe I should start them alongside him". Given that they're going to continue experimenting with lineups, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at some point.

The other option of course, is to move Manu back to the bench and insert Mason. First though, he needs to stop putting up performances like this.

L.I.T
03-10-2010, 02:30 AM
^ No. Pop never should have put Manu in the starting lineup to begin with. The only bright spot the Spurs had is the chemistry and cohesion that the Manu/RJeff/Blair trio has shown coming off the bench.

In moving Manu to the SL he may have strengthened the SL, but (at least for the last game) ruined whatever chemistry and cohesion RJeff and Blair had. Manu's careers splits are almost identical with him in the SL or off the bench, so that is a wash.

If Pop was trying to boost Mason's confidence moving him into the SL would have been a much better signal that leaving him to come off the bench. Excluding this season, Mason's splits has a starter are actually quite good.

timtonymanu
03-10-2010, 02:55 AM
L.I.T. I agree. Manu needs to stay on the bench with RJ and Blair. For the first time Blair looked like a no show and strangely enough it was with Manu starting.

Then again Mason sucks as a starter. He definitely would be hindering the starting lineup. Bogans + Mason starting will be trouble.

For so much talk about how the Spurs have a great bench, they have players who wouldnt even have lasted in the 03-07 run (Bogans, Mason, RJ, Bonner).

SenorSpur
03-10-2010, 03:08 AM
^ No. Pop never should have put Manu in the starting lineup to begin with. The only bright spot the Spurs had is the chemistry and cohesion that the Manu/RJeff/Blair trio has shown coming off the bench.

In moving Manu to the SL he may have strengthened the SL, but (at least for the last game) ruined whatever chemistry and cohesion RJeff and Blair had. Manu's careers splits are almost identical with him in the SL or off the bench, so that is a wash.

If Pop was trying to boost Mason's confidence moving him into the SL would have been a much better signal that leaving him to come off the bench. Excluding this season, Mason's splits has a starter are actually quite good.

Couldn't agree more. That move would've made a lot more sense. With Pop inserting Manu into the starting lineup, he's now disrupted the flow of the second unit, including the play of Blair and RJ, who both thrived playing alongside of Manu.

WalterBenitez
03-10-2010, 06:18 AM
If Manu could do all those things, Why do we need POP?

benefactor
03-10-2010, 06:38 AM
The starting lineup should be Hill/Centerpiece/RJ/Duncan/Dice with Manu, Blair and Mason on the second unit(I'd prefer Hairston over Mason, but who are we kidding here?).

That second unit Pop trotted out for the Cavs game was one of the worst ideas in this team's season long bad idea campaign.

alchemist
03-10-2010, 08:59 AM
The starting lineup should be Hill/Centerpiece/RJ/Duncan/Dice with Manu, Blair and Mason on the second unit(I'd prefer Hairston over Mason, but who are we kidding here?).

That second unit Pop trotted out for the Cavs game was one of the worst ideas in this team's season long bad idea campaign.
They'll get blown out in the first 5 minutes if Manu doesn't start. Tony going out is bad, Manu will definitely get overused.

it's me
03-10-2010, 09:22 AM
SL should be Tim, Blair, RJ, Manu and Hill......... we finish games in the 3rd... we send the Centerpiece to the bench and the second unit should still be the best... rigth Pop????

TJastal
03-10-2010, 09:50 AM
lmao at everyone using the new nick 'centerpiece'

:lol

SenorSpur
03-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Mason was a starter for a good portion of last season, while Manu was out. He should be able to hold the fort, until the second team comes in. Besides, having him start would alleviate him of the responsibility of having to be the primary ball-handler - something he really struggles with.

MoSpur
03-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I say start Mason with Hill, Duncan, Dice, and the Center Piece. Keep Manu as the 6th Man with Blair and RJ.

If you wanna start Manu then let Mason rot on the bench and give those minutes to Malik and see what he can do. I doubt he'd do worse than 0-8. Mason isn't coming back next season, so why give him minutes. Pop needs to swallow his pride and give these young guys a look.

Big P
03-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Sad that mason has not progressed...he always looks like he is just going thru the motions...hey roger, here's an idea, why don't you stay out of the strip clubs during the day & hit the gym & practice your shooting...then maybe you could go 1 for 9.

dbestpro
03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Manu is the catalyst. Blair and RJ play better when Manu is around. The starters play better when Manu is around. Soooooooooooo, start Manu, RJ, Blair, Duncan, and Hill. Keep Manu or Hill on the floor at all times. The bench is gonna suck anyway and will live and die by the three point efforts of Mason and Bonner. Use Dice and Bogans sparingly based on rest for the starters. Increase their load game by game if they show any life.
Ease first half minutes for Manu and Ducan but keep them on the floor as much as possibe in the second half. Stop resting players when they are in the zone. The future is now.

TJastal
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Manu is the catalyst. Blair and RJ play better when Manu is around. The starters play better when Manu is around. Soooooooooooo, start Manu, RJ, Blair, Duncan, and Hill. Keep Manu or Hill on the floor at all times. The bench is gonna suck anyway and will live and die by the three point efforts of Mason and Bonner. Use Dice and Bogans sparingly based on rest for the starters. Increase their load game by game if they show any life.
Ease first half minutes for Manu and Ducan but keep them on the floor as much as possibe in the second half. Stop resting players when they are in the zone. The future is now.

+1

This is very sensible.

Death In June
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
A couple of interesting tidbits...

As much as you hate to see the goose egg from Mason dismissed as "the ball didn't bounce my way", you have to admire that he's going to try to fight through it. We all know Mason can hit those shots and that he's strong mentally.

The painful truth is that the Spurs need him to produce to keep their collective heads above water. I hope he does fight through it and figure it out.

If I'm Pop I take a look at this statement and think "hmm, if RJ and Blair do better with Manu on the court, then maybe I should start them alongside him". Given that they're going to continue experimenting with lineups, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at some point.

The other option of course, is to move Manu back to the bench and insert Mason. First though, he needs to stop putting up performances like this.I'd rather have Manu handle the backup PG duties, and let Mason assume his natural role as SG. It's the only way you're going to get him to not suck so hard. Then maybe when Tony gets back, Pop can do the logical thing and start his five best players in Blair, Gino, Tony, Duncan, and RJ.

PDXSpursFan
03-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Mason sucks big time - he shouldn't be on the starting lineup.

it's me
03-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Mason sucks big time - he shouldn't be on the starting lineup.

Well, you’re just proving he’s the perfect candidate for Pop’s team starting job……. he loves to mix good players with complete scrubs both in the SL and the bench ….. he’s starting the centerpiece come on…….

temujin
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Mason belongs to the 30% of NBA players that cannot dribble with his left hand (right hand for a few lefthanded).

I am not sure it's a great idea to play someone that can only dribble with his right hand at the point guard.

He has been extremely embarassing in the past, from a purely professional point of view, playing the point guard position.
I am not talking about running the team, dictating the tempo, finding teammates in the expected position etch, as a serious point guard should do.
I am merely pointing at the fact that when he is forced to the left and pressured, he invariably ends up with (i) a TO, (ii) a bad pass, (iii) 7'' lost trying to circumnavigate the defender and going right again.

He makes a very decent living out of his shooting skills, and that's about it.

Let's leave it like that.

Let's have a serious basketball player (Ginobili) running the team, please.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Jesus. You guys have lost your collective fucking minds. You've so completely partaken of the Popovich Koolaid that you're now giving reasons why your best player shouldn't be in the starting lineup when there's routinely one or two guys in the starting lineup WHO DON'T SCORE ANY POINTS.

Gee, why don't we move Duncan to the bench so we can kickup that bench scoring statistic? Having Manu come off the bench this season has been such an overwhelming success, resulting in early leads, consistent rotations and this great record.

DaBears
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Good point...

Just another way POP has screwed up the lineup and anyone's chances at getting into Ryhtmn.... POP as much as any player this season has been a SPURS killer..

Still Keith Bogans is a no show on offense and JR whom of late i have been defending deciding again not to show up in this one knowing that we are short handed..

Well i as much as any other spurs fan here hate to see the season come to an end soo soon, but we'd all be fooling ours selves if we would actually make it anywhere in the playoff's let alone the to the playoff's...

phxspurfan
03-10-2010, 02:45 PM
They'll get blown out in the first 5 minutes if Manu doesn't start.

Sadly, this is very true.