8FOR!3
03-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Malik Hairston; who dat? He dat.

jjktkk
03-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Sign me up.

Bender
if he had been playing with the team for the whole season, we'd be a better team now for sure.

it's me
In :hat

DesignatedT
hairston bitches!!! play him over rj fuck it :ihit

4>0rings
03-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Sign me ... never mind.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-10-2010, 11:08 PM
im up in this

8FOR!3
03-10-2010, 11:08 PM
George Hill
Manu Ginobili
Malik Hairston

That should be the first three on the starting lineup right now. Mix Duncan with McDyess or Bonner, I don't really care.

TJastal
03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Sign me up. I'd like to see Ian get some of Bonner's minutes too but that's a pipe dream

Cane
03-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Needs a new acronym; THC sounds like a marijuana legalization campaign.

Malik's shown a lot of hustle especially the past couple of games; gotta love the putback slam from your SF. Where the fuck is this shit from Jefferson?

Blackjack
03-10-2010, 11:17 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/As11-40-5886.jpg/250px-As11-40-5886.jpg

One small step for Pop ...

One giant leap for Spurkind.

alchemist
03-10-2010, 11:20 PM
he has worse handles than RMJ but at least he plays D and goes up for the occasional put back dunk.

Blackjack
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Seriously, my emotions were all over the place as they were subbing late in the fourth . . .

Ginobili was set to check in, and I just knew it wasn't for Bogans; but it was. :wow

But before I could :elephant, Pop had another sub to make ... my shoulders slumped; Jefferson out, 'Dyess in. :wow

I almost shed a tear . . .

DesignatedT
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/As11-40-5886.jpg/250px-As11-40-5886.jpg

One small step for Pop ...

One giant leap for Spurkind.

:lol

TJastal
03-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Well at least something good came out of Roger Mason's shooting slump..

ShoogarBear
03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
All I want to see is minutes. If he's a bust then we'll actually see the evidence and not have to guess what goes on in practice.

santymrc
03-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I was In before he was BORN!

ace3g
03-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm in, 2 games in a row with a put back dunk

ace3g
03-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Seriously, my emotions were all over the place as they were subbing late in the fourth . . .

Ginobili was set to check in, and I just knew it wasn't for Bogans; but it was. :wow

But before I could :elephant, Pop had another sub to make ... my shoulders slumped; Jefferson out, 'Dyess in. :wow

every time I heard the sub horn I was like well there goes Hairston, but it never happened, I was proud of Pop

CFH
03-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm in!!! :toast

Blackjack
03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
All I want to see is minutes. If he's a bust then we'll actually see the evidence and not have to guess what goes on in practice.

That's all most of us Hairston honks want: for him to be given a legitimate opportunity.

santymrc
03-10-2010, 11:38 PM
True.
I wonder what Mason is thinking right now. He has to know he just got out of the rotation until someone fucks things up (Bogans maybe?).
Anyway, GTFO of SA Mason, i mean, NOW. Get your shits and GTFO.

timaios
03-10-2010, 11:39 PM
he has worse handles than RMJ but at least he plays D and goes up for the occasional put back dunk.

You can't have worse handles than RMJ. It's physically not possible.

MaNu4Tres
03-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I just got home and can't wait to see the 4th quarter from what I've heard from friends...

Count me in...all he needs is a real opportunity and it will be evident that he's the 2nd best wing that we have excluding Horhay.

DesignatedT
03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I just got home and can't wait to see the 4th quarter from what I've heard from friends...

Count me in...all he needs is a real opportunity and it will be evident that he's the 2nd best wing that we have excluding Horhay.

be careful what you wish for. much of this game was very painful to watch. :lol

exstatic
03-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I like Malik. I'd like him more, and he'd probably be in the rotation if he had an NBA 3 point shot.

HarlemHeat37
03-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Meh, he didn't do anything surprising tonight, it's been obvious that he could do this..a lot of us have been on the bandwagon for almost 2 years now..while he has definitely improved a lot from when he first appeared on the Spurs radar in his first SL, there shouldn't be any doubt that he can produce..

His main flaws as a player have been his ball-handling and his shooting..he still needs to work on his ball-handling if he wants to become a consistently reliable scorer, but his shooting has improved a lot over the past year or so..I have no doubt that he can make 3s with at least a decent % in the NBA, hopefully we'll see him do it if he gets the PT coming up..

He has a really good combination of athleticism + strength, and he's worked extremely hard to develop his game from a small-ball PF to a wing player in the NBA..that's why his ball-handling is still shaky, but it gives him an advantage when it comes to rebounding and finishing inside, it's his main strength..

Blackjack
03-10-2010, 11:42 PM
True, but that weakside, left-handed block Malik had was almost worth the eye bleed.

pawe
03-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Glad to see somebody playing with heart like their contract depends on it. And not like that guy who got paid and pussys out and wont even try...yes im talking to you Dick.

DesignatedT
03-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I like Malik. I'd like him more, and he'd probably be in the rotation if he had an NBA 3 point shot.

he was shooting over 40% from 3 in the D-League... take it for what you want but im sure he can hit at the same clip as bogans and mason are right now....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-10-2010, 11:45 PM
I've been all about playing the youth for two months now, so yeah, sign me up.

timaios
03-10-2010, 11:45 PM

http://media.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/career.jsp?player=malik_hairston

Hairston NBDL career 3pt : 50/117 = 42.7%

ElNono
03-10-2010, 11:46 PM
http://welikeitfresh.com/files/2008/12/bunny-thread-relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

HarlemHeat37
03-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Hairston's problem will be confidence early on..he's always been a good 3-point shooter in the NBDL, he just never shoots them in the NBA games..he always chooses to attack instead..

The confidence is apparent in his free throw shooting..he's like an 85% free throw shooter in the D-League, but he's been atrocious at shooting them in NBA time..it's all mental, obviously..

Blackjack
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Meh, he didn't do anything surprising tonight, it's been obvious that he could do this..a lot of us have been on the bandwagon for almost 2 years now..while he has definitely improved a lot from when he first appeared on the Spurs radar in his first SL, there shouldn't be any doubt that he can produce..

His main flaws as a player have been his ball-handling and his shooting..he still needs to work on his ball-handling if he wants to become a consistently reliable scorer, but his shooting has improved a lot over the past year or so..I have no doubt that he can make 3s with at least a decent % in the NBA, hopefully we'll see him do it if he gets the PT coming up..

He has a really good combination of athleticism + strength, and he's worked extremely hard to develop his game from a small-ball PF to a wing player in the NBA..that's why his ball-handling is still shaky, but it gives him an advantage when it comes to rebounding and finishing inside, it's his main strength..

There was nothing surprising about what he did and this probably wasn't even his most impressive outing . . .

But the fact that he started and finished a fourth quarter, with the game in the balance, is a bit of a watershed moment; a moment two years in the waiting.

DesignatedT
03-10-2010, 11:49 PM
yeah. it was more about pop willing to play malik almost the whole 4th quarter. it was great to see.

ElNono
03-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Hairston is hungry to show he belongs... something a couple of guys in the team are not showing at all...

Blackjack
03-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah, the free-throw thing has been pretty apparent and even somewhat surprising; Malik's a mentally tough player.

But for all the ball-handling flaws and inevitable miscues he's going to have as a young, inexperienced player, his positives far outweigh his negatives for this team.

I'm pretty damn confident that, given a decent amount of minutes, consistently, you'll really start to see the player Malik is; that's all that's preventing him from being a real contributor: minutes.

santymrc
03-11-2010, 12:00 AM
yeah, the free-throw thing has been pretty apparent and even somewhat surprising; malik's a mentally tough player.

But for all the ball-handling flaws and inevitable miscues he's going to have as a young, inexperienced player, his positives far outweigh his negatives for this team.

I'm pretty damn confident that, given a decent amount of minutes, consistently, you'll really start to see the player malik is; that's all that's preventing him from being a real contributor: Minutes.

+1

manustarting2gd
03-11-2010, 12:02 AM
THC! THC! THC! THC! Malik was getting it done. how? OUTHUSTLING HIS OPPONENT. PERIOD. Taking the jumper in stride and rotating over perfectly on weakside help for the block.. the camera showed Manu excited and feelin his play...... MH's plays were crucial on both ends tonight. PROPS HAIRSTON.

Nice way to step in and show how the Toro's may finally start showing dividends...

Chomag
03-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Damn, I'm so sad I missed the game. Good for Malik! HE is just doing what alot of us think he is capable of. Hopefully Pop is starting to pay attention to the memo.

And I have no shame saying Hairston>>>>>>>>>>>>Jeffferson

manustarting2gd
03-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Hopefully Pop is starting to pay attention to the memo.

Amen.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 12:09 AM
http://www.horroria.com/i/nstills/30/87/3087/3087-43612.jpg

They're down with the THC. :smokin

crc21209
03-11-2010, 12:12 AM

I thought the EXACT same damn thing. I was almost sure Pop was going to take Hairston out...but he didnt....I was SHOCKED.

The Truth #6
03-11-2010, 12:14 AM
You can't have worse handles than RMJ. It's physically not possible.

I actually think his handle has improved. He's just slow. Hill isn't much better of a playmaker but he's faster and gets slightly better results when running the offense.

exstatic
03-11-2010, 12:16 AM
he was shooting over 40% from 3 in the D-League... take it for what you want but im sure he can hit at the same clip as bogans and mason are right now....

He's played 42 NBA games, totaling 257 minutes, and has not made an NBA 3 pointer. I know about his d-league numbers. Doesn't mean shit if he can't make them for the Spurs.

The long two is the worst shot in basketball. It's low percentage, leads to just as many fast breaks off of misses, and doesn't penalize the defense 50% for playing off you like the 3 pointer does. You have to be able to make 3s to run an efficient offense in the NBA.

The Truth #6
03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
A young untested player finishes the game. Two legitimate post players to end the game. Clearly something is up...Pop is now trying to tank!

BWS-1994
03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
More Malik!

And some gifs or vids too please? :toast

SenorSpur
03-11-2010, 12:21 AM
That's why young guys need to play - energy & effort. Of course, Pop did Hairston no favors by matching him up defensively on Gallianari. He was overmatched, but his energy was contagious.

By now, I guess the Popsuckers probably want the Spurs to let Hairston walk too. After all, it was only one game, right? :rolleyes

The Truth #6
03-11-2010, 12:23 AM
He's played 42 NBA games, totaling 257 minutes, and has not made an NBA 3 pointer. I know about his d-league numbers. Doesn't mean shit if he can't make them for the Spurs.

The long two is the worst shot in basketball. It's low percentage, leads to just as many fast breaks off of misses, and doesn't penalize the defense 50% for playing off you like the 3 pointer does. You have to be able to make 3s to run an efficient offense in the NBA.

He will need to make the 3. So far he's been trying to play mistake-free basketball to impress Pop. If Pop shows him confidence I think Malik's confidence will improve and we'll see his full game for good or bad.

ulosturedge
03-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Been on this wagon for a while now....It took a Finley departure, a TP injury, and a Mason slump for Hairston to be allowed on the court. It's just sad that he could have been much farther a long if we didn't waste a contract on our "centerpiece". The main thing here is that Hairston has the athleticism and strength to actually be a threat on both sides of the floor. While a lot of our players are just happy with trying to stay in front of their opponents, Malik can actually alter shots in the air and really contest shots. Also on the offensive end he will take advantage of no one paying attention to him. As opposed to when our "centerpiece" is on the floor, he demands no attention or poses no threat on offense. Teams sag off him all game long. Which is fine, but seeing him make teams pay is like once in a blue moon....a complete liability on the offensive end.

The Truth #6
03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
That's why young guys need to play - energy & effort. Of course, Pop did Hairston no favors by matching him up defensively on Gallianari. He was overmatched, but his energy was contagious.

By now, I guess the Popsuckers probably want the Spurs to let Hairston walk too. After all, it was only one game, right? :rolleyes

Ha. And what the hell was he doing being asked to guard Gallianari? He did well for the situation.

HarlemHeat37
03-11-2010, 12:30 AM
I didn't mind him guarding Gallo..he got a foul on him and scored that ridiculous circus shot over Duncan and him, but he was fine on the other 2 possessions against him..the Spurs will need to draft a long SF in the draft to guard those types of guys either way, it's been a need for a while..

SenorSpur
03-11-2010, 12:34 AM
I mind a lot. Just goes to show you that the Spurs STILL are roster deficient when playing athletic 4's. Don't get me started on that again.

The Truth #6
03-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Sean said Malik would get real minutes. It took Pop about 3 games to make an adjustment. Normally I would say that is slow but for Pop that's quite fast. That's almost how fast he is when making adjustments in a playoff series.

Chieflion
03-11-2010, 12:36 AM
I didn't mind him guarding Gallo..he got a foul on him and scored that ridiculous circus shot over Duncan and him, but he was fine on the other 2 possessions against him..the Spurs will need to draft a long SF in the draft to guard those types of guys either way, it's been a need for a while..

Paul George!!!!

The Truth #6
03-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Pop forces mismatches but they always seem to work against us. We play small but then play slow. I never see the advantage.

silverblackfan
03-11-2010, 12:47 AM
I thought he did a solid job tonight. Again. He uses his minutes well and plays with energy and good defensive pressure. And how about that Block? He altered a few more with his quick hops.

Sean Cagney
03-11-2010, 12:49 AM

I agree, athletic and more offensive game than Bogans and he can play some D too! Why not? What else to lose this year? Nothing, everything to gain.

AusSpursFan
03-11-2010, 12:55 AM
In from the start of the season, played well in summer league and has continued to do so since.

The Truth #6
03-11-2010, 12:56 AM
And in a game where Bogans was playing well, so to speak.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 01:06 AM

Had Malik been seeing minutes going back to last year and/or the beginning of this year ... that's a hook, an offensive-foul, and Malik's credited with a stop.

I agree they need to find some more size and length on the wing defensively, they've needed it for a while, but Malik's actually pretty decent at providing that kind of help in stretches (even if he's too small to give someone a steady diet when he's at a Gallo-type disadvantage).

He's often underestimated defensively because of his deceptive demeanor, length and athleticism, and his playing the 4 in college probably helped him quite a bit with those shot-blocking instincts of his; along with his great timing.

The thing with Malik now, at least offensively, is he's got to get used to his new areas of operation on the floor at the Big Boy's level; he's not going to be shooting those sweet 12-15' jumpers around the elbows and free-throw line that he got at Oregon or be seeing the floor from the same perspective (which he and the Spurs know and he's made tremendous strides in evolving from that college player).

Malik's done everything right by all accounts: he's put in the time, stayed humble and exhibited the type of professionalism and character that has become synonymous with the Spurs over the years.

It's time Pop gives him the opportunity to become the Spur his resume shows he could be.

SenorSpur
03-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Had Malik been seeing minutes going back to last year and/or the beginning of this year ... that's a hook, an offensive-foul, and Malik's credited with a stop.

I agree they need to find some more size and length on the wing defensively, they've needed it for a while, but Malik's actually pretty decent at providing that kind of help in stretches (even if he's too small to give someone a steady diet when he's at a Gallo-type disadvantage).

Really makes one wonder why they STILL have this deficiency after so many years. The point of irritation for me is that they had plenty of time to address this prior to Bowen leaving the scene. I know they missed on Batum, but they still should've addressed this need via the draft.

Someone mentioned Paul George earlier. Haven't see him on TV, but researched his measurables. Good looking prospect.

OrEmuN
03-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I am definitely in. Has been rooting for him since I joined ST...

Give this boy more minutes ... he clearly deserves PT

Biggems
03-11-2010, 01:21 AM
i have had this avatar all season and finally it has become relevant

Manufan909
03-11-2010, 01:26 AM
every time I heard the sub horn I was like well there goes Hairston, but it never happened, I was proud of Pop

Fuck that bullshit, no one should be happy with Pop. Does anyone notice the level of shit RJ and RMJ had to equal for Hairston to only get a dozen minutes!?!

And exstatic, I'd love to see your stats on how negatively "better 3pt shooters" like Mason are effecting the Spurs because of their crap defense, nonexistent offensive arsenal, etc... Oh wait, you can't calculate defense, or energy, or hustle, or athleticism. Come back to me when you find out, I'd really love to know. Until then, I'll assume a Spurs offense featuring 20 minutes of Hairston>>>>>>>>>>>> a Spurs offense featuring 20 minutes of Mason. Let Manu and Bonner rain 3s, they're actually making them.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Really makes one wonder why they STILL have this deficiency after so many years. The point of irritation for me is that they had plenty of time to address this prior to Bowen leaving the scene. I know they missed on Batum, but they still should've addressed this need via the draft.

Someone mentioned Paul George earlier. Haven't see him on TV, but researched his measurables. Good looking prospect.

Basically because they've been chasing ghosts (Horry and Bowen's).

Instead of focusing on tangible athleticism and overall measureables (maybe not focusing as much as not putting enough importance on), they've been looking to find players to replace their 3-point shooting and/or the same role as their predecessor; thus the floor-spacing 4 (Bonner) and the 'Centerpiece' (Bogans) that doesn't need the ball, camps out at the 3-point line and takes on the opposition's best wing.

But what they've done is put inferior players into a role they'll never be able to fulfill ... instead of tweak the system and find a higher quality player to get the job done; sure there's always going to be a need for 3-point shooting with this Big 3, but the same formula can't be used as talent wanes and vital, key members of the team exit the stage.

Bowen wasn't the next Elliott, nor was Horry the next Robinson; times and circumstance change, and if you don't change and adapt to it, you're bound to be left behind . . .

HarlemHeat37
03-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Oh, I definitely agree that Hairston can guard those types of players in stretches, I'd have to see him do it more full-time to say..in the only other rotation minutes that he's gotten other than tonight and the Houston game, he guarded Kirilenko very well vs. Utah earlier in the year..he had the "infamous" preseason game vs. Tayshaun Prince too..his athleticism and strength allow him to do it..also, to be fair, there aren't many guys that are Gallo's height that play like him..

Going into next year, I think the Spurs have to find a wing with some size because we already have too many of the same types of bodies, which is what I meant..Hill is already an undersized wing, Mason is very undersized, Hairston and Bogans are around the same height, Jefferson doesn't play the style that we need at that position..so it would be good to have a SF with some length and size at the 3 to give us a different dimension..

Having Hill/Hairston/Long SF would be a very versatile defensive group for us next season that could defend many different matchups in different situations..

Interrohater
03-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Bowen wasn't the next Elliott, nor was Horry the next Robinson; times and circumstance change, and if you don't change and adapt to it, you're bound to be left behind . . .

Excellent point. You have to adjust the system to your players, not try to find players who fit into the mold to make your system work. This current system only worked because we had the players that CREATED the system.

Pop should find great players, then mold the system to them, not search for players who look like they should fit into a system that you've created for others.

This is a great point Blackjack, I've never thought about it that way.

benefactor
03-11-2010, 02:10 AM
http://thccrew.com/images/winning-team/THC-Crew-Winning-Team-Mixtape-2009.jpg

Unleash him.

Libri
03-11-2010, 02:12 AM
I finished watching the game and Malik, again, played very well. He looked confident and ran his routs like a seasoned pro. He was even directing traffic. Tonight, Malik demonstrated some of his attributes that could prove valuable to the Spurs. He showed quickness and leaping ability. We saw this when he beat out House and Chandler for that offensive rebound and dunk. He was quick with his help defense and got a fantastic block on Harrington. Furthermore, he didn’t hesitate when he made that jump shot. It was not an easy task to guard Gallinari, who is taller and stronger. The first basket by Gallinari was a circus shot. On the second shot, Gallinari used his strength to back down Malik. Nevertheless, I think Malik had a very good game. IMO, he showed a lot of positives.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Yeah, we're on the same page; it's just frustrating that they've got someone who's had some kind of success against a Kirilenko, Prince and James (even if it was just a nice play or two, it's more than what someone like Bogans had shown), yet he's never given the opportunity to help them out in a clear deficiency.

I'm not sure if Malik's ever going to be that necessity-type player, but I think he could end up being a really nice luxury item that all teams would love to have; a rotation player definitely.

My belief and fandom in Malik started back at Oregon and it had as much to do with his character and overall toughness as it did skill set. So even if he's a perpetual backup ... I believe he's someone you find on a championship team.

SenorSpur
03-11-2010, 02:16 AM
Going into next year, I think the Spurs have to find a wing with some size because we already have too many of the same types of bodies, which is what I meant..Hill is already an undersized wing, Mason is very undersized, Hairston and Bogans are around the same height, Jefferson doesn't play the style that we need at that position..so it would be good to have a SF with some length and size at the 3 to give us a different dimension..

Having Hill/Hairston/Long SF would be a very versatile defensive group for us next season that could defend many different matchups in different situations..

I'll take it a step further. If Pop wants to return to the style of defense that made this organization successful, the Spurs need at least 2 long SFs. With all the young, athletic perimeter scorers that flow into this league every year, combined with the fact the cupboard is bare, having two of these SF-types would provide great depth and versatility. Obviously, they need to go into the draft and nab one. Afterwards, perhaps a trade of RJ could return a young or mid-career SF.

Employing small ball is one thing. Employing that strategy with shorter, undersized players is another. Currently, that's primarily what their wing rotation consists of.

SenorSpur
03-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Yeah, we're on the same page; it's just frustrating that they've got someone who's had some kind of success against a Kirilenko, Prince and James (even if it was just a nice play or two, it's more than what someone like Bogans had shown), yet he's never given the opportunity to help them out in a clear deficiency.

I'm not sure if Malik's ever going to be that necessity-type player, but I think he could end up being a really nice luxury item that all teams would love to have; a rotation player definitely.

My belief and fandom in Malik started back at Oregon and it had as much to do with his character and overall toughness as it did skill set. So even if he's a perpetual backup ... I believe he's someone you find on a championship team.

Since you followed him at Oregon, can you provide more insight on what kind of player he was back then? How he demonstrated that toughness, you spoke of?

Interrohater
03-11-2010, 02:21 AM

I agree, with this.

However, don't overestimate the "necessity-type player", as that player is very often the one who throws himself to get a loose ball, who hustles back to defend even when it seems like an uncontested fast-break dunk, who sees his childhood idols and respects, but plays even harder. While it's the superstars who make a team, it's the roleplayers who make a championship team.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2010, 02:27 AM
1 down, 1 to go. The shame of it is if Mason starts hitting a couple of shots we won't see Hairston anymore. If only Pop could replace the centerpiece...

mingus
03-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Roger Mason Jr. looks puzzled and unconfident out there. i'm thinking it could also be pent up frustration from not playing much early on and now not producing when he is has gotten him to a boiling point. his head isn't in there. unless Roger Mason of early '08-09 shows up, i'd rather have Hairston in there. problem is he and Bogans look roughly like the same type of player. a rotation w/ both of them would be redundant.

TD 21
03-11-2010, 02:48 AM
This is a poorly constructed roster. They lack depth at point guard and center and they still don't have anyone who can guard long three's/mobile four's. The Spurs could take a flier on a Wright (Dorell), McGuire or probably even Wright (Julian, though he is under contract for next season, unlike the other two), but hopefully they can do better.

Very encouraged with Hairston. You can just tell he's going to be a solid rotation player. Probably never a true stopper, but one of these secondary defenders to throw at top opposition wing scorers and because of his athleticism, he's capable of affecting the game in myriad ways, unlike a guy like Mason, who must shoot a high percentage to justify his playing time (though with the composition of this roster and Parker being out, he must play either way).

Going forward, Hairston is going to have play more three than two, with Hill/Ginobili playing the majority of the minutes at two. This is why the Spurs need a long, athletic three to round out their perimeter rotation, otherwise they'll continue to be too undersized to be anything resembling an elite defensive team.

sabar
03-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Hairston's success in limited minutes has been one of the few perks of a miserable season. When he gets subbed in you just pay attention more to these mostly meaningless games.

If only the team could get more positives than negatives this year.

Libri
03-11-2010, 03:03 AM
I'll just add that Malik did tonight what Jefferson was supposed to do. Pop envisioned Richard contributing by getting into the flow of the game and that is what Malik did. Malik didn't have any plays drawn up for him. Yet, he contributed when he found opportunities to do so. He didn't look out of place. Hopefully he will continue to do that if he gets the time.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Since you followed him at Oregon, can you provide more insight on what kind of player he was back then? How he demonstrated that toughness, you spoke of?

I didn't follow him like I would a Spur but he caught my attention during his sophomore year in the Pac-10 tournament IIRC; had a nice stretch of 20+ games and, as you've probably noticed at the NBA level, he tends to impress with a play or two from time-to-time.

He was just strong. That's what I noticed. There was never any intimidation or fear in his demeanor or game and when the pressure seemed to mount, Malik was never scared; he's a Detroit kid and that's one stereotype that's complimentary. He rebounded strong, he finished strong, he was just ... strong.

I read about the injuries he had gone through in his junior year after the fact and it was even more impressive than what I knew at the time (Here's a bio (http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=76402) I came across during the Draft you might have some interest in; note the last couple of sentences from '06-'07)

One of the most well-rounded players in the nation. Willing to do whatever it takes to win, be it scoring, rebounding, defending or setting up his teammates.

That was Malik.

That unassuming demeanor and the expectations coming in as one of the most highly touted recruits in the country, lead people to look for warts more than offer praise. He did have some questionable work habits (which was the only thing that worried me; would he get and stay in shape?) but those have either been corrected in his time with the Spurs or overblown; he was a college kid.

So, basically ... I like tough, intelligent ball players, and Malik came across as one of those guys. He could do a little bit of everything, he did it with purpose and he'd often give you something that would surprise/entertain the hell out of you.

My kind of guy.

urunobili
03-11-2010, 08:03 AM
too much THC... I'm stoned! :lol

mountainballer
03-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Going forward, Hairston is going to have play more three than two, with Hill/Ginobili playing the majority of the minutes at two. This is why the Spurs need a long, athletic three to round out their perimeter rotation, otherwise they'll continue to be too undersized to be anything resembling an elite defensive team.

agree on this. (assuming Manu will be part of the team next season)
but I don't like the mentioned options that much. ok, if McGuire signs for the minimum, it's worth the try.
Dorell? he turns 25 this year and despite 5 years of NBA experience he still looks to often like a rookie. and can't shoot. I fear he just doesn't get it. open question: the Spurs possibilities are limited anyhow, so what would it take to get Dorell? would he sign for the LLE? if not and assuming we spend the MLE on Splitter we are not a candidate.

(just in case: we can't sign Splitter and so the MLE is available for other players, wouldn't we prefer Travis Outlaw over Dorell Wright?)

I don't think Julian Wright is available in a trade unless it's for a TE (or a unguaranteed contract) and a pick.
(which we can't offer). Hornets will still be in cost dumping mode, only this scenario helps them.

as long as we can't do a somehow miraculous trade of RJ, the options for adding a SF this summer are very limited, especially with the draft not really looking deep there. (most available are in fact combos, who will fail big time in the NBA).

ah, time to make a misplaced claim: Landry Fields (my man for our 2nd rounder) would be a very nice complimentary player to Malik.

austN Spur
03-11-2010, 08:35 AM
those first two pages was a good read. I'm down with this. ya'll have a nice day

ChumpDumper
03-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Hairston's three point shooting is strange. In the D-League he did shoot it twice as often this season compared to the last with about the sam resulting percentage, but to me his shots looked a lot flatter with a fairly low release. I don't know if it needs tweaking or an overhaul, but at least some work is in order as he needs that in his arsenal. I see no reason against playing him now, keeping him and developing him further.

nkdlunch
03-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Hairston probably is the 2nd hardest worker out there after Manu and he has the talent, speed and athleticism to back it up. (TD and Hill close 3rd)

sign me up!!!!!

SpurCharger
03-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Count me In.... Id like to see Hairston get close to 20Mins A Game... give Him Masons, and Dick's Mins....

JR3
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I know I'm late, but I'm in =)

Bartleby
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Although we've really only seen a glimpse of Hairston, what has impressed me so far about his game is that he is aggressive without forcing the issue.

I'm hoping Pop was impressed by what he saw and look forward to seeing what he can do with more minutes.

phxspurfan
03-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I was only paying attention to some plays last game but I did notice that monster block he had. Good going, hope the Spurs can keep him so at least one of our reserves looks like an NBA player.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
too much THC... I'm stoned! :lol

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac237/ubercomments_backup2/partying/weed/098.gif

IMMMMPOOOOOSSSSIBLLLLE!!!

Get lifted with Hairston; Sir-Smoke-a-Lot does. :smokin

Flux451
03-11-2010, 01:45 PM

My thoughts exactly...except I shed a tear.

easy7
03-11-2010, 01:50 PM
THC...:hat

Truckules
03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
If Mason gets more minutes than Malik against Min. (barring Mason having a terrific shooting night), I will be up for firing Pop.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 01:57 PM
but I don't like the mentioned options that much. ok, if McGuire signs for the minimum, it's worth the try.

Wearing you down . . .:lol

Dorell? he turns 25 this year and despite 5 years of NBA experience he still looks to often like a rookie. and can't shoot. I fear he just doesn't get it. open question: the Spurs possibilities are limited anyhow, so what would it take to get Dorell? would he sign for the LLE? if not and assuming we spend the MLE on Splitter we are not a candidate.

(just in case: we can't sign Splitter and so the MLE is available for other players, wouldn't we prefer Travis Outlaw over Dorell Wright?)

I like Wright but I'm thinking the Spurs need a better overall player at that position (I don't think they can afford to play 4-on-5 offensively the way they did, at times, with Bruce when the Big 3 was more dominant), so I'd definitely be in favor of a guy like Outlaw; Hairston wouldn't become redundant or lost in the shuffle in such a case.

ah, time to make a misplaced claim: Landry Fields (my man for our 2nd rounder) would be a very nice complimentary player to Malik.

What I've read has intrigued me, so I'll make sure to keep an eye out for him.:toast

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Hairston's three point shooting is strange. In the D-League he did shoot it twice as often this season compared to the last with about the sam resulting percentage, but to me his shots looked a lot flatter with a fairly low release. I don't know if it needs tweaking or an overhaul, but at least some work is in order as he needs that in his arsenal. I see no reason against playing him now, keeping him and developing him further.

I completely understand what your saying and the logic is sound (the thinking of an overhaul or tweaking to the jumper), but he's had the same shot going back to his college days, and, just looking at the stats ... he appears to be doing something right.

Shooting's all about consistency and confidence and by whatever means produces optimum levels of both ... well, it's all about results.

He went up every year in 3P/% in his time at Oregon (from 33% his freshman year to 43% his senior) and since being in the D-League has shot almost 43% in his two years (along with a 7-11, 63.6%, in his two career playoff games) with the Toros.

That's not to say he doesn't need to keep working at it or keep getting those jumpers up, but, from what I've seen and what the numbers seem to bear . . .

Hairston just needs court time and minutes to find a comfort level and show what he's really capable of.

ChumpDumper
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Well, we'll see when he actually starts taking threes in the NBA.

poop
03-11-2010, 02:34 PM
i hope he doesnt start taking 3's.

ChumpDumper
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
If he's as good as everyone says he is at them, why take no threes ever?

Please explain.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Well, we'll see when he actually starts taking threes in the NBA.

Indeed.

But in the meantime . . .

Get Lifted . . .

ChumpDumper
03-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't think I ever called for Malik to not play.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Never said you did; you've actually been one of the posters that's been a proponent of his for a while IIRC.

It's all in fun, Chump. :toast (or more appropriately :smokin)

DPG21920
03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
He has the makings of the types of role players the spurs look for and the ones that help you win.

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Yup, and the same could be said for Hill and Blair; they bring a toughness, character and intelligence on the court, that can only bode well.

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 03:46 PM

:rolleyes Yea the stupid Spurs FO should of found a starting caliber SF with of of their late 1st round picks or 2nd round picks a long time ago. I mean picking so late in the 1st round there are so many talented NBA players to choose from, why can't Pop and RC just close their eyes and pick from a large pool of NBA talent found in the late 1st round, or 2nd round?

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Pop should find great players, then mold the system to them, not search for players who look like they should fit into a system that you've created for others.

:rolleyes Righttttttt. Why can't Pop just go find these "great players" and put them into his system and BOOM,PRESTO, the Spurs can start a new Dynasty for the new decade. Damn Pop is so stubborn, just do it Pop! Cmon Pop theres "greatplayers" all over the place just waiting for you or RC to give em a call.

Spur|n|Austin
03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
The past couple games have felt like a good dream, Malik Getting good minutes. Then I wake up to the real nightmare that RJ, Bogans and RMJ's suckiness overshadows any goodness that comes with Hairstons getting minutes.

Muser
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Youth movement - Blair/Hill/Hairston. :ihit

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
:rolleyes Righttttttt. Why can't Pop just go find these "great players" and put them into his system and BOOM,PRESTO, the Spurs can start a new Dynasty for the new decade. Damn Pop is so stubborn, just do it Pop! Cmon Pop theres "greatplayers" all over the place just waiting for you or RC to give em a call.

Quality condescension jjktkk (TPark could learn a thing or two), but how would you pronounce 'Righttttttt'?

With that meany T's, I find myself being reminded of Lost's smoke monster . . .

Am I doing it wrong?

Mel_13
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Quality condescension jjktkk (TPark could learn a thing or two), but how would you pronounce 'Righttttttt'?

With that meany T's, I find myself being reminded of Lost's smoke monster . . .

Am I doing it wrong?

Some quality thread maintenance by the OP going on here.

This thread has a future. Let's hope Malik does as well.:toast

poop
03-11-2010, 05:11 PM
If he's as good as everyone says he is at them, why take no threes ever?

Please explain.

because we already have 3-point chuckers...nobody ever wins by living and dying with the 3...the team who scores in the paint wins. id rather him attack the basket, which he can do, every single time instead of chucking a 3.

taps
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
signing up @ 4:20

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM
signing up @ 4:20

:tu (on the avatar as well)

TD 21
03-11-2010, 07:36 PM

I don't think Julian Wright is available in a trade unless it's for a TE (or a unguaranteed contract) and a pick.
(which we can't offer). Hornets will still be in cost dumping mode, only this scenario helps them.

as long as we can't do a somehow miraculous trade of RJ, the options for adding a SF this summer are very limited, especially with the draft not really looking deep there. (most available are in fact combos, who will fail big time in the NBA).

I don't like any of the mentioned options either, I'm just throwing out inexpensive options who possess the physical tools the Spurs need in an SF.

Outlaw's a talent. He's a good sixth man/scorer and can play SF and PF, but he doesn't defend (which is the Spurs primary need in an SF or combo forward) and he has an inflated sense of self worth. I don't think he'd fit in with the Spurs vaunted culture.

The Hornets are cheap and Wright hasn't worked out their. I'm not saying I'm enamored with him, but I do think he's attainable, though like you say, not for what the Spurs have to offer (if they liked him enough, I'm sure they could find a third team to satisfy the Hornets needs and facilitate the trade).

I haven't really delved into too many names yet likely to be available around the Spurs pick, but a guy I like for the second round is Andy Rautins. He reminds me of Barry somewhat in that he's a former players son, heady, good passer, solid ball handler and an absolute light's out shooter. I could see him filling the Mason role next season: perimeter shooter off the bench/3rd PG. I see him more as a SG than a PG in the NBA. He is undersized and not very athletic, but he can play.

ChumpDumper
03-11-2010, 10:57 PM
because we already have 3-point chuckers...nobody ever wins by living and dying with the 3...the team who scores in the paint wins. id rather him attack the basket, which he can do, every single time instead of chucking a 3.But if that's all he does, teams will fairly easily find ways to defend it, like Kevin Kruger did with Darius Washington.

SenorSpur
03-12-2010, 12:21 AM
:rolleyes Yea the stupid Spurs FO should of found a starting caliber SF with of of their late 1st round picks or 2nd round picks a long time ago. I mean picking so late in the 1st round there are so many talented NBA players to choose from, why can't Pop and RC just close their eyes and pick from a large pool of NBA talent found in the late 1st round, or 2nd round?

Yeah the Spurs never have any success picking so late in the round. Good thing for them they were fortunate enough to get both Parker and Manu in the NBA Draft Lottery. :rolleyes

The bullshit excuses and various states of denial from the Popsucker crowd never ends.

Blackjack
03-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Whether it's evoking good or bad emotion ...

I'm not sure there's a better smiley at doing it than the :rolleyes

Blackjack
03-12-2010, 01:37 AM
This is a poorly constructed roster. They lack depth at point guard and center and they still don't have anyone who can guard long three's/mobile four's. The Spurs could take a flier on a Wright (Dorell), McGuire or probably even Wright (Julian, though he is under contract for next season, unlike the other two), but hopefully they can do better.

Well, it looks like one option will be off the table . . .

Dorell Wright arrested for DUI (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/dorell-wright-arrested-for-dui.php)
By Kurt Helin

Dorell Wright was arrested for a DUI early Thursday morning, the second Heat player with a traffic related arrest in the last two weeks. From the Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/11/1524451/miami-heat-forward-dorell-wright.html):

According to the arrest report, Wright, 24, was stopped at 3:37 a.m. in his 2005 Bentley near the intersection of Alton Road and 12th Street. Officers witnessed Wright driving erratically and, upon approaching the vehicle, observed ``red and watery eyes, order of an alcoholic beverage on his breath and low and slurred speech.''

Wright could not find his proof of insurance, knew he was driving on a suspended license and refused to submit to a sobriety test, according to the affidavit. Wright also was accused of driving 52 mph in a 25 mph zone.

Wright was booked, paid bail and was released at 10 a.m. Thursday.

Wright's Heat teammate Carlos Arroyo was arrested back on Feb. 24 for impeding traffic (driving too slow) then resisting arrest.

Wright likely serve a suspension handed down by the league, the going rate seems to be two games for a DUI. When that suspension come sdown remains to be seen.

Wright has been a solid contributor off the bench for the Heat, playing about 20 minutes a night and scoring six.

HarlemHeat37
03-12-2010, 01:39 AM
OTOH, he'll probably be available for cheap after this incident..but ya, I would agree that the Spurs would shy away from such a player..

After watching some of Wright lately though, I don't think he's ever going to become a guy that you can rely on for consistent defense..he doesn't have the mentality to work like that..

Blackjack
03-12-2010, 01:40 AM
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2010/03/11/13/0030263934F.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.jpg

Seems fitting for this thread.:lol

TD 21
03-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Good. I was just throwing Wright out there as an example of a player who possesses the physical tools the Spurs need in an SF, but he's not nearly good enough to fill their need as a wing stopper.

McGuire, as me and Blackjack have talked about at length, I don't see him as being the type of personality the Spurs look for. He's an immature goof from everything I know about him and he can't shoot worth a lick.

Wright (Julian) is under contract for next season, can't shoot and supposedly has trouble remembering plays. Again, doesn't exactly exude the types of qualities the Spurs look for, particularly in players who fill this role.

Really, all three of these guys can probably be ruled out now, but they are all examples of the type of player (physically/athletically, at least) that the Spurs need at SF. Honestly, it's going to be difficult to obtain the type the Spurs need, so we're probably going to see them take a run at Bell and if they fail to sign him, I wouldn't be surprised if Bogans is re-signed or if a comparable player is brought in.

Blackjack
03-12-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm obviously higher on McGuire than, well ... mostly anybody. But, be that as it may, I'm more a fan of him as a talent and not so much as being an ideal fit for the Spurs (skill set-wise; I'm not as worried about the personality).

Barring an RJ trade during the offseason (highly unlikely), I think you're pretty much on the money with Bell and Bogans. It just seems to be the most logical and probable outcome given the options and type of moves the Spurs have made in the past.

jjktkk
03-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Yeah the Spurs never have any success picking so late in the round. Good thing for them they were fortunate enough to get both Parker and Manu in the NBA Draft Lottery. :rolleyes

The bullshit excuses and various states of denial from the Popsucker crowd never ends.

Senor Tool, are you hitting the pipe again? By your ignorant reply, you seem to think every year the Spurs should be able to find a NBA player in the later rounds. Its really not that easy. Maybe RC and the scouting department make it seem so.

TD 21
03-12-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm obviously higher on McGuire than, well ... mostly anybody. But, be that as it may, I'm more a fan of him as a talent and not so much as being an ideal fit for the Spurs (skill set-wise; I'm not as worried about the personality).

Barring an RJ trade during the offseason (highly unlikely), I think you're pretty much on the money with Bell and Bogans. It just seems to be the most logical and probable outcome given the options and type of moves the Spurs have made in the past.

As I've said before, it's not ideal, but if the Spurs sign Bell and can bring over Splitter, I'd be fairly pleased. Ideally, I'd like them to move Jefferson, acquire a different type of player to fill the wing stopper role than Bell, etc., but I also think they'll be some value in bringing back the vast majority of the roster rather than undergoing wholesale changes for the second consecutive off season.

It may not show in the stats, but Jefferson and McDyess should be better from day one next season, just based on being more comfortable. Bell would probably be a seamless fit. He's an intelligent player and his role would be straightforward. That leaves Splitter as the wild card. If he can make a Ginobili '03 type impact, that would be a significant boost to this team. I'm not calling him Ginobili's equal as a player, but just think of what he brought to that '03 team that they didn't have in '01 or '02. Splitter, theoretically could help Duncan (and the team in general) a lot.

I assume these eight will return: Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Hill, McDyess, Jefferson, Blair and Hairston. Add the aforementioned two to those eight and there's the rotation. Is that a championship caliber team? Health permitting, on paper they should have a chance, but that was also the thinking going into this season. Like I touched on though, I think next season will be a smoother transition.

Blackjack
03-12-2010, 03:13 AM
As I've said before, it's not ideal, but if the Spurs sign Bell and can bring over Splitter, I'd be fairly pleased. Ideally, I'd like them to move Jefferson, acquire a different type of player to fill the wing stopper role than Bell, etc., but I also think they'll be some value in bringing back the vast majority of the roster rather than undergoing wholesale changes for the second consecutive off season.

It may not show in the stats, but Jefferson and McDyess should be better from day one next season, just based on being more comfortable. Bell would probably be a seamless fit. He's an intelligent player and his role would be straightforward. That leaves Splitter as the wild card. If he can make a Ginobili '03 type impact, that would be a significant boost to this team. I'm not calling him Ginobili's equal as a player, but just think of what he brought to that '03 team that they didn't have in '01 or '02. Splitter, theoretically could help Duncan (and the team in general) a lot.

If, and it's a big if, the team comes to camp healthy, intact and ready to go from Day 1, I think we'd see a marked improvement; the base would be relatively sound to start, the roles more defined, and the system seemingly more ingrained for the likes of RJ and 'Dyess. And if all you're adding is a vet like Bell and a solid young big like Splitter (two guys whose roles won't require the ball being in their hand or any great, overbearing responsibility), the team should be able to get off to a nice start and have a pretty successful regular season.

I don't believe that's a championship-caliber squad ... but with RJ's contract in tow, they could very well have the means to turn it into one by the trade deadline.

I assume these eight will return: Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Hill, McDyess, Jefferson, Blair and Hairston. Add the aforementioned two to those eight and there's the rotation. Is that a championship caliber team? Health permitting, on paper they should have a chance, but that was also the thinking going into this season. Like I touched on though, I think next season will be a smoother transition.

Just on a first glance, I have a hard time believing Bonner doesn't find his way back on the roster; his value to Pop and the Spurs, on the court and in the locker room, seems quite a bit higher than most would like to believe.

So Bonner would take them to 11 their draft pick(s) could take them to 12 and 13 ... but that doesn't seem to wash financially; maybe they'll be forced to let Bonner go?

Lets see . . .

The Spurs will be at $56,088,011 Duncan, Parker, Jefferson, 'Dyess, Hill, Blair and Hairston. You've got to think Manu will get between $7-10M/per, Tiago (should he come) will probably get a little over $4M/per and Bell would probably be asking for somewhere around the LLE.

Just a very rough estimate would take that salary to over $70M. Throw in a first-round pick and you're around $73M and you're still in need of two players to meet the league-required 13 (vet-minimums or second-rounders put you around $75-76M)

Last years cap number was $69,920,000 and it promises to be lower next year, so the Spurs could very well be $10M over again with the roster suggested; I've always believed this 'all-in' bet was for a two-year window ... but I'm not going to assume it's the case (not after the year this has turned out to be).

Moral of the story, RJ's contract sucks; the Spurs have to find a taker (offseason or deadline) for them to truly contend IMO.

mountainballer
03-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Moral of the story, RJ's contract sucks; the Spurs have to find a taker (offseason or deadline) for them to truly contend IMO.

bottom line: trade RJ and get a quality player back (by taking back more long term salary) is the ONLY way to keep the window open.

of course we can always pray for a miraculous trade around RJ.
fact is, the current roster is far from being a contender and it won't be one next season either, even if they can add let's say Splitter and Bell.
and if they don't re sign Manu, they officially closed the window.

so finding a taker for RJ is crucial, but are the Spurs really in position to take back twice as much salary long term as RJ is owed for 2010-11?
(I assume that's the deal.). let's say/hope yes. what's next?
Maggette once more comes to mind. probably the only realistic option for a RJ scenario and reportedly the Spurs were thinking also in that direction before deadline.
(btw. as the topic is Hairston, if the Spurs would turn RJ into Maggette, it wouldn't exactly help Hairston's case).

a lot will depend on the lottery. Warriors will finish with the 3rd worst record, so they have a pretty good chance to win either 1st or 2nd.
currently Wall is the sure fire 1st and Turner looks like the very option for the 2nd pick a team can't pass.
if the Warriors end up with one of them, it would once more shake up either their PG and/or wing rotation. either Ellis or Maggette will be on the block, good chance it will be both. (there were reports that more or less all Warriors players except Curry will be available).
a Maggette trade would require at least one more player on 3 million, Turiaf and Azubuike come to mind. (a trade of Maggette and Azu for RJ would not only fill 2 wing spots, but also clear 2 million under the threshold for the Spurs. could be crucial in the Manu re signing or the Splitter signing, if in fact staying under the threshold is the primary guideline)

hmmm.
Tim, Tony, Maggette, Azubuike, Dice, Blair, Hill, Hairston sum up for 52 million.
Manu takes 7 M and Splitter 4 M. that's 63 for 10 players.
#20 pick pick costs 1.3M. that's 64.3M. threshold will be between 66 and 68 million. two more players to go. #50 pick signs for the minimum (counts for 700K), plus another veteran minimum signing (700K).
that's slightly under 66. maybe even room enough for your McGuire signing.

and looks like this:

Tony - Hill - veteran
Manu - Azubuike - (#50pick= Fields)
Maggette - Hairston - (minimum combo forward= McGuire)
Blair - Dice - (#20 pick= best big available = Udoh, Monroe, Sanders)
Tim - Splitter

this IS a nice looking roster, probably contender and still under the threshold. with a pretty nice young core for the post Tim era. just saying.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Mountainballer,a whole lot of win in your post as usual :tu.

I've been thinking, however, how much of an asset would RJ's expiring contract really be next summer. Realistically, we could expect to trade him for a player, whose contract is longer than RJ's and whose team think he's overpayed/not worth the contract. Do you think this would be appealing to the Spurs FO at all after the RJ fiasco? Would they gamble again with another player on a worse contract and with the chance that it'd turn out to be RJ 2.0 and more money down the drian?

While it definitely looks like a good way to gamble in order to eventually contend next season for a fan, I'm not that sure the owners would find it as such a simple solution to the problems, since it'll cost them a lot of money, especially with the upcoming new CBA. Also, how many teams would take on RJ's contract in the summer unless they're giving back ridiculously bad contracts? I think these teams would wait until the 2011 feb trade deadline before taking on RJ ( that is if we're talking about trading him for the likes of Maggette, Granger, Iggy..., i.e. best case scenarios ).

Interrohater
03-12-2010, 09:17 AM

That's not what I said at all. My point was that they should be going after best available, not "successors". Since David left, we've been looking for his "successor". They look for a shot-blocking big man who runs like a gazelle (the Mahinmi project?). Same with Horry (Bonner?) and Bruce (Bogans, Udoka, even Hill).

Finding players like them fit into the system, instead of looking for the best available, and adapting the system to them.

I think this line of thought may have been too far above your head, guy-who-couldn't-think-of-a-proper-name-so-he-mashed-the-keyboard.

diego
03-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I dont get why some people are clamoring for hairston to develop his 3. Yes, eventually he will need it, but right now vs Mason and Bogans he brings more to the table- better D, better penetration, more hustle, more athleticism, and even if he hasnt shown the ability to make 3s, Bogans and Mason arent exactly making it rain.

For me, all hairston has to do to trump Bogans and Mason is play good D, help rebound, and be a garbage man on O.

tav1
03-12-2010, 09:28 AM
bottom line: trade RJ and get a quality player back (by taking back more long term salary) is the ONLY way to keep the window open.

of course we can always pray for a miraculous trade around RJ.
fact is, the current roster is far from being a contender and it won't be one next season either, even if they can add let's say Splitter and Bell.
and if they don't re sign Manu, they officially closed the window.

so finding a taker for RJ is crucial, but are the Spurs really in position to take back twice as much salary long term as RJ is owed for 2010-11?
(I assume that's the deal.). let's say/hope yes. what's next?
Maggette once more comes to mind. probably the only realistic option for a RJ scenario and reportedly the Spurs were thinking also in that direction before deadline.
(btw. as the topic is Hairston, if the Spurs would turn RJ into Maggette, it wouldn't exactly help Hairston's case).

a lot will depend on the lottery. Warriors will finish with the 3rd worst record, so they have a pretty good chance to win either 1st or 2nd.
currently Wall is the sure fire 1st and Turner looks like the very option for the 2nd pick a team can't pass.
if the Warriors end up with one of them, it would once more shake up either their PG and/or wing rotation. either Ellis or Maggette will be on the block, good chance it will be both. (there were reports that more or less all Warriors players except Curry will be available).
a Maggette trade would require at least one more player on 3 million, Turiaf and Azubuike come to mind. (a trade of Maggette and Azu for RJ would not only fill 2 wing spots, but also clear 2 million under the threshold for the Spurs. could be crucial in the Manu re signing or the Splitter signing, if in fact staying under the threshold is the primary guideline)

hmmm.
Tim, Tony, Maggette, Azubuike, Dice, Blair, Hill, Hairston sum up for 52 million.
Manu takes 7 M and Splitter 4 M. that's 63 for 10 players.
#20 pick pick costs 1.3M. that's 64.3M. threshold will be between 66 and 68 million. two more players to go. #50 pick signs for the minimum (counts for 700K), plus another veteran minimum signing (700K).
that's slightly under 66. maybe even room enough for your McGuire signing.

and looks like this:

Tony - Hill - veteran
Manu - Azubuike - (#50pick= Fields)
Maggette - Hairston - (minimum combo forward= McGuire)
Blair - Dice - (#20 pick= best big available = Udoh, Monroe, Sanders)
Tim - Splitter

this IS a nice looking roster, probably contender and still under the threshold. with a pretty nice young core for the post Tim era. just saying.

The Spurs talked with GS leading up to the trade deadline, but they couldn't get anything done. Be interesting to see if they come back around to talks in June/July.

BTW: great post. Although, I wonder if moving McDyess is not a smart option too.

jjktkk
03-12-2010, 02:11 PM
That's not what I said at all. My point was that they should be going after best available, not "successors". Since David left, we've been looking for his "successor". They look for a shot-blocking big man who runs like a gazelle (the Mahinmi project?). Same with Horry (Bonner?) and Bruce (Bogans, Udoka, even Hill).

Finding players like them fit into the system, instead of looking for the best available, and adapting the system to them.

I think this line of thought may have been too far above your head, guy-who-couldn't-think-of-a-proper-name-so-he-mashed-the-keyboard.

Umm,Interrohater, I commented on your post earlier in this thread where you stated "Pop should find great players, then mold the system to them, not search for players who look like they should fit into a system that you've created for others." So even though you think you didn't say that, you said Pop needs to find "great players". Really? Damn! No Kidding? You think Pop turns his nose when he has a chance to sign a great player? Do great players grow on trees or something? By your comments you make it sound like its easy to acquire great players. And now your attacking my ST name. OUCH!!! (reaching for a tissue right now).

SenorSpur
03-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Senor Tool, are you hitting the pipe again? By your ignorant reply, you seem to think every year the Spurs should be able to find a NBA player in the later rounds. Its really not that easy. Maybe RC and the scouting department make it seem so.

Despite the fact that the draft itself is a crap shoot, there are often gems to be found (Hill) if a team does its homework. This also doesn't account for the influx of talented Euro players (Jonas Jerebko, Omri Casspi) that have annually deepened the pool of eligible players. Or the good players (Blair) that sometimes inexplicably slide down for whatever reason.

The fact that you seem to think productive players cannot be found later in the round shows just how ignorant and ill-informed you are. You also killed whatever point you were trying to make. Perhaps if you raise your head up from kissing Pop's ass long enough, you'd see that.

Interrohater
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Umm,Interrohater, I commented on your post earlier in this thread where you stated "Pop should find great players, then mold the system to them, not search for players who look like they should fit into a system that you've created for others." So even though you think you didn't say that, you said Pop needs to find "great players". Really? Damn! No Kidding? You think Pop turns his nose when he has a chance to sign a great player? Do great players grow on trees or something? By your comments you make it sound like its easy to acquire great players. And now your attacking my ST name. OUCH!!! (reaching for a tissue right now).

Whatever dude, you're obviously taking that tiny statement way out of context. Ur posts are adding nothing to the conversations except the ever-present "Spurs FO is infallible" rhetoric. You didn't disagree with my point more than argue the semantics of it, which is usually the egress route of the naive.

Going back to the topic at hand, I'm wondering if Hairston would be good in the starting lineup in place of Hill, who moves to the starting PG spot. Then, you keep Manu coming off the bench and you still have a slasher and defender to start the game.

boutons_deux
03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Is Pop going to "George Hill" Malik by realizing this summer that he should have played Malik a lot more?

ace3g
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Is Pop going to "George Hill" Malik by realizing this summer that he should have played Malik a lot more?

only way that happens is if Hairston (Hill) gets about 20+ minutes the rest of the season, then it looks like Pop is going to play Hairston in the playoffs, then Hairston (Hill) is benched for more worse player (Vaughn). Then during the offseason Pop will acknowledge that he should have played Hairston (Hill) more.

jjktkk
03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Despite the fact that the draft itself is a crap shoot, there are often gems to be found (Hill) if a team does its homework. This also doesn't account for the influx of talented Euro players (Jonas Jerebko, Omri Casspi) that have annually deepened the pool of eligible players. Or the good players (Blair) that sometimes inexplicably slide down for whatever reason.

The fact that you seem to think productive players cannot be found later in the round shows just how ignorant and ill-informed you are. You also killed whatever point you were trying to make. Perhaps if you raise your head up from kissing Pop's ass long enough, you'd see that.

My point dipshit is yes hidden gems can be found in the later rounds, but that doesn't make it a given. And why you do throw out popsucker when I debate a post of yours? I'm talking about drafting in the later rounds. WTF does liking Pop or not have to with drafting players? Do you do that when your frustrated or something? No need to get your depens in a bind. Just agree to disagree Senor. :toast

jjktkk
03-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Whatever dude, you're obviously taking that tiny statement way out of context. Ur posts are adding nothing to the conversations except the ever-present "Spurs FO is infallible" rhetoric. You didn't disagree with my point more than argue the semantics of it, which is usually the egress route of the naive.

Going back to the topic at hand, I'm wondering if Hairston would be good in the starting lineup in place of Hill, who moves to the starting PG spot. Then, you keep Manu coming off the bench and you still have a slasher and defender to start the game.

Nope your right, I never disagreed with your point, I just pointed out a sentence in your point. Your sentence made it sound like its easy to acquire 'great players". Perception is reality kinda of thing you know? But yes, back to the topic. I would love it if Pop started Hairston, but IMO Pop probably wants to see alittle more of Hairston's body of work and, as we know, Pop is usually reluctant starting rookies and, or young guys. But if Hairston keeps showcasing his talent, I could defintely see him getting a permanent spot in the rotation and, who knows, maybe even compete for a starting job next year.

Obstructed_View
03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I dont get why some people are clamoring for hairston to develop his 3. Yes, eventually he will need it, but right now vs Mason and Bogans he brings more to the table- better D, better penetration, more hustle, more athleticism, and even if he hasnt shown the ability to make 3s, Bogans and Mason arent exactly making it rain.

For me, all hairston has to do to trump Bogans and Mason is play good D, help rebound, and be a garbage man on O.

Agreed. The three pointer is SOO fucking overrated. I'd much rather guys step three feet closer where their percentage goes up significantly and still be able to stretch the defense. Then maybe they won't fall in love with the trap of that extra point. The whole purpose of outside shooting is to open up better opportunities in the paint. Too many teams seem to have forgotten that.

Hairston can do more with his defense and rebounding than Bogans and Mason can do even if they were hitting twice as many threes as they are, which ain't likely.

it's me
03-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I just hope Malik gets into the rotation for reals .... not just some sporadic minutes here and there..... hope he gets most of the centerpiece minutes.....

TD 21
03-12-2010, 06:16 PM
If, and it's a big if, the team comes to camp healthy, intact and ready to go from Day 1, I think we'd see a marked improvement; the base would be relatively sound to start, the roles more defined, and the system seemingly more ingrained for the likes of RJ and 'Dyess. And if all you're adding is a vet like Bell and a solid young big like Splitter (two guys whose roles won't require the ball being in their hand or any great, overbearing responsibility), the team should be able to get off to a nice start and have a pretty successful regular season.

I don't believe that's a championship-caliber squad ... but with RJ's contract in tow, they could very well have the means to turn it into one by the trade deadline.

Just on a first glance, I have a hard time believing Bonner doesn't find his way back on the roster; his value to Pop and the Spurs, on the court and in the locker room, seems quite a bit higher than most would like to believe.

So Bonner would take them to 11 their draft pick(s) could take them to 12 and 13 ... but that doesn't seem to wash financially; maybe they'll be forced to let Bonner go?

Lets see . . .

The Spurs will be at $56,088,011 Duncan, Parker, Jefferson, 'Dyess, Hill, Blair and Hairston. You've got to think Manu will get between $7-10M/per, Tiago (should he come) will probably get a little over $4M/per and Bell would probably be asking for somewhere around the LLE.

Just a very rough estimate would take that salary to over $70M. Throw in a first-round pick and you're around $73M and you're still in need of two players to meet the league-required 13 (vet-minimums or second-rounders put you around $75-76M)

Last years cap number was $69,920,000 and it promises to be lower next year, so the Spurs could very well be $10M over again with the roster suggested; I've always believed this 'all-in' bet was for a two-year window ... but I'm not going to assume it's the case (not after the year this has turned out to be).

Completely agree with your first paragraph.

On paper you don't? Or in reality you don't? On paper, I think it's good enough (though as I said, this is largely predicated on Splitter making an impact and to a lesser extent, Bell's game not falling off a cliff). In reality, I'm not sure. Realistically though, I'm not sure a better team can be assembled.

Here's the thing with Bonner, I assume the Spurs will want to re-sign him, but if they can sign Splitter, not at Bonner's current price. They're not paying $3 million for a fifth big, so my guess is unless they can move McDyess, Bonner won't be back and a cheaper version of him (Cook) will be brought in. If they can move McDyess, then Bonner will be re-signed and a center will fill the fifth big spot (Jones or someone of that ilk).

But then the same problem the Spurs have now they'll have next year: Blair and Bonner will be the backup big duo and in tandem they offer nowhere near enough size and virtually no rim protection. But since the front office is obsessed with (and it's a relatively cheap organization) having a stretch four amongst their big rotation, I assume they'd prefer to go with Bonner over McDyess, if they can bring over Splitter. Not only for his shooting, but for his cheaper price tag in comparison to McDyess.

If the Spurs do that, they're definitely not a championship contender because essentially all they're doing is going from McDyess to Splitter. An upgrade? Probably, but not a sizable enough one to make that big of a difference. I'm not opposed to moving McDyess, if he can be part of a package or expansive trade (more than two teams) that ultimately nets the Spurs a legit wing stopper, but I wouldn't just hand him away to re-sign Bonner. This organization needs to get over their obsession with having a three-point shooting big in their rotation. In '99 and '03, they won with Duncan, Robinson and Rose as the primary bigs, yet they act like they can't win without that type of big. If they can't land a wing stopper for McDyess, then they should keep him, bring over Splitter and sign Cook for cheap to be the fifth big. That would be a strong front line.

SenorSpur
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
My point dipshit is yes hidden gems can be found in the later rounds, but that doesn't make it a given. And why you do throw out popsucker when I debate a post of yours? I'm talking about drafting in the later rounds. WTF does liking Pop or not have to with drafting players? Do you do that when your frustrated or something? No need to get your depens in a bind. Just agree to disagree Senor. :toast

Let me set you straight on something, son. We can debate and disagree all day long. When you resort to insults, you shouldn't be surprised to get some of it back - in droves.

If the Popsucker moniker offends you it's probably because you're one of the biggest apologists on here. I'll cease this debate with you now because your opinions make no sense - not even to you. Cheers. :toast

jjktkk
03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Let me set you straight on something, son. We can debate and disagree all day long. When you resort to insults, you shouldn't be surprised to get some of it back - in droves.

If the Popsucker moniker offends you it's probably because you're one of the biggest apologists on here. I'll cease this debate with you now because your opinions make no sense - not even to you. Cheers. :toast

I can smack talk with you anytime Senor, its kinda fun. :toast

jjktkk
03-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Completely agree with your first paragraph.

On paper you don't? Or in reality you don't? On paper, I think it's good enough (though as I said, this is largely predicated on Splitter making an impact and to a lesser extent, Bell's game not falling off a cliff). In reality, I'm not sure. Realistically though, I'm not sure a better team can be assembled.

Here's the thing with Bonner, I assume the Spurs will want to re-sign him, but if they can sign Splitter, not at Bonner's current price. They're not paying $3 million for a fifth big, so my guess is unless they can move McDyess, Bonner won't be back and a cheaper version of him (Cook) will be brought in. If they can move McDyess, then Bonner will be re-signed and a center will fill the fifth big spot (Jones or someone of that ilk).

But then the same problem the Spurs have now they'll have next year: Blair and Bonner will be the backup big duo and in tandem they offer nowhere near enough size and virtually no rim protection. But since the front office is obsessed with (and it's a relatively cheap organization) having a stretch four amongst their big rotation, I assume they'd prefer to go with Bonner over McDyess, if they can bring over Splitter. Not only for his shooting, but for his cheaper price tag in comparison to McDyess.

If the Spurs do that, they're definitely not a championship contender because essentially all they're doing is going from McDyess to Splitter. An upgrade? Probably, but not a sizable enough one to make that big of a difference. I'm not opposed to moving McDyess, if he can be part of a package or expansive trade (more than two teams) that ultimately nets the Spurs a legit wing stopper, but I wouldn't just hand him away to re-sign Bonner. This organization needs to get over their obsession with having a three-point shooting big in their rotation. In '99 and '03, they won with Duncan, Robinson and Rose as the primary bigs, yet they act like they can't win without that type of big. If they can't land a wing stopper for McDyess, then they should keep him, bring over Splitter and sign Cook for cheap to be the fifth big. That would be a strong front line.

Very interesting scenarios reguarding the roster possibilities next year. But what about upgrading the SF spot? Will the Spurs bring a vet. in, or will they resign Bogans(UGH!) and let Bogans and Hairston battle it out for the starting spot? Or draft a guy this summer? IMO the SF needs to be addressed this off-season as well.

iManu
03-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Here.

THC, BABY! :smokin

SenorSpur
03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I can smack talk with you anytime Senor, its kinda fun. :toast

Touche' :toast

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the sig and contribution to the THC, SpursRulez4eVeR.:tu

http://i39.tinypic.com/103ub9c.gif

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/91/fullj.50332b3a97383e44d7b323795d83b7af/50332b3a97383e44d7b323795d83b7af-getty-90043913ds016_spurs_twolv.jpg

Get Lifted . . .

Ditty
03-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the sig and contribution to the THC, SpursRulez4eVeR.:tu

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/91/fullj.50332b3a97383e44d7b323795d83b7af/50332b3a97383e44d7b323795d83b7af-getty-90043913ds016_spurs_twolv.jpg

Get Lifted . . .

:lol Ian's reaction

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 02:44 AM

In the grand scheme of things, there probably isn't much better they can do. Whether that's enough to put them in the conversation as a legit contender, someone that you could legitimately see winning a championship, I have my doubts; I'd probably have the same feeling I had going into this year: Western Conference Finals seemingly their peak.

Let's say the Spurs acquired the Salmons-Thomas package I'd been pushing for (a pretty comparable pairing in impact to Splitter and Bell; probably better), would that have made them a likely champion? I believed it would have made them better and it was a no-brainer of a trade, for a lot of different reasons, but the Spurs would still be a step behind IMO. And with another year tacked on to Tim and Manu and with the cumbersome contract of RJ preventing them from acquiring better, more suited talent ... there's just far too many question marks for me to say, especially at this juncture, that they could legitimately hoist the trophy with that roster; who knows what the rest of the upper-echelon will look like next year . . .

Other than you putting Cook into the equation, someone I don't believe has the professionalism to be a Spur, I essentially agree with the rest of your post. I do agree with the rationale of Cook, in theory, I just don't believe the Spurs would entrust a spot in their rotation to him; something he'd need to have to justify the pick up.

Interrohater
03-13-2010, 03:59 AM
:lol Ian's reaction

:lol good catch, I didn't even see that. He's like, "Oh (French-equivalent-of-shit)!"

silverblackfan
03-13-2010, 09:27 AM
That was another tremendous dunk! Malik has managed to do at least one of those for each of the last 3 games. The kid has a way of bringing the defense, and putting the ball in the basket. I love the energy he brings. Manu, Blair, Hill, and Malik make the other teams look just plain tired.

The Truth #6
03-13-2010, 09:54 AM
A question for The Hairston Club for Men: would Malik be a part of the Spurs' best five man defensive unit?

I was thinking of Hill, Hairston, Manu, Tim, and Ian (though it could be Dice at the 5 if he's playing motivated.)

tothrowed
03-13-2010, 10:35 AM
black jack nigga how do i save a gif man and use it

Obstructed_View
03-13-2010, 12:14 PM
A question for The Hairston Club for Men: would Malik be a part of the Spurs' best five man defensive unit?

I was thinking of Hill, Hairston, Manu, Tim, and Ian (though it could be Dice at the 5 if he's playing motivated.)

Yes, and I agree with the above five when you want to lock the other team down.

benefactor
03-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the pic. :tu

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 02:08 PM
black jack nigga how do i save a gif man and use it

Right click the mouse, select view image or open in a new tab (whichever one's displayed) copy the url, select the image icon in the toolbar and paste the url (that's what I do at least).

Thanks for the pic. :tu

Big ol' :tu on the sig.

J_Paco
03-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I know I'm late, but add me in as a member of THC. The kid should have been given these opportunities much earlier in the season, but many of us have been saying that all season. Hopefully, Malik is given a realistic chance to be the main back-up (though starting) to Manu next season.

ohmwrecker
03-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Hairston is a keeper. I don't see him getting a lot of time in the playoffs, but he should be a major contributor next season. He will be good and, more importantly, cheap.

Mel_13
03-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Some Malik history.

Several clips of Malik in H.S. The dunk in the 23 second clip looks familiar:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-basketball/Malik-Hairston-Detroit-15331;_ylt=AjYK5KVr9ET8k1vIkNA0ob8TR5V4

Top 150 H.S. prospects in 2004:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2004

Article about Malik on a Junior Team USA in 2005:
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=421628

Fan website from that tournament. Click on 2005 and 2004 to see Malik. Ian can be found in 2004 and a 16 year old Tony Parker can be found in 1998.:
http://www.slammindouai.com/eng/index_eng.html

http://www.slammindouai.com/photos/douai2005/usa02_big.JPG

Five NBA players, from the left: Ty Lawson(5), Spencer Hawes(14), Malik(7), Kevin Durant(10), and Rudy Gay(13).

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Much appreciated, Mel. :toast

Bender
03-13-2010, 04:00 PM
is he signed thru next season?

J_Paco
03-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the FO signed Malik to a 2-year deal over the summer. Can anyone verify this?

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 04:09 PM
THC, how can I explain it

I'll take you frame by frame it

To have y'all jumpin' shall we singin' it

T is for The, H is for Hairston (his lack of playing time)
scratch your temple

The last, C...well...that's pretty simple brah

It's sorta like ah..hell.. it's for fuckin' Coalition son

It's nine little letters leave us postin' here

You join it on the occasion coach been tardy

As game 'n it seems Pop needs some explainin'

Get Lifted . . .
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/29632117/Naughty+by+Nature.jpg
You down with THC? :smokin

Mel_13
03-13-2010, 04:12 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the FO signed Malik to a 2-year deal over the summer. Can anyone verify this?

The Spurs hold a team option at the minimum salary on Malik for next year. Assuming that they exercise that option for 2010-11, they will be able to make him a restricted FA in the summer of 2011 by tendering a qualifying offer slightly in excess of $1M.

J_Paco
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
You down with THC?

Yeah, you know me....

:lol:lol

Spursfan092120
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm in.

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 04:14 PM

He's got an unguaranteed contract for next year that would give him $854,389 and it'd be pretty amazing if the Spurs didn't bring him back; he'll be back.

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Back to not being quick enough . . .:lol

Mel_13
03-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Back to not being quick enough . . .:lol

Your answer was more precise. He is under contract for the minimum with no guarantee. The Spurs can cut him and owe him nothing. They don't actually have a team option although the distinction between the two, in this case, is almost entirely semantic.

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Just for my own clarification, if they pick up the unguaranteed contract next year, that will trigger the $1,091,100 QO for the following, correct?

Mel_13
03-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Just for my own clarification, if they pick up the unguaranteed contract next year, that will trigger the $1,091,100 QO for the following, correct?

If he remains under his current contract until the end of the 2010-11 season, the Spurs will be able to tender a qualifying offer and make him a restricted FA in the summer of 2011. The current contract must remain in force for this to take place.

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I think I'm getting the hang of this. :lol

lurker23
03-13-2010, 04:42 PM
If he remains under his current contract until the end of the 2010-11 season, the Spurs will be able to tender a qualifying offer and make him a restricted FA in the summer of 2011. The current contract must remain in force for this to take place.

Correct. The Spurs have to actively offer him the QO, though if they like him there's no reason they wouldn't. Then, Malik could choose to accept the QO, making him an unrestricted FA in 2012-13, or sign a longer term contract with the Spurs, or sign an offer sheet with another team, which the Spurs would have the right to match.

Muser
03-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Hill/Blair/Malik :)

TD 21
03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Very interesting scenarios reguarding the roster possibilities next year. But what about upgrading the SF spot? Will the Spurs bring a vet. in, or will they resign Bogans(UGH!) and let Bogans and Hairston battle it out for the starting spot? Or draft a guy this summer? IMO the SF needs to be addressed this off-season as well.

SF is a need, but I suspect the Spurs will be stuck with Jefferson until the '11 trade deadline, so he'll likely be the lone true SF on the roster (this is a staple of the Spurs, to have one true SF and have a roster filled with players who's primary position is either SG or PF), with Bogans or someone of that ilk seeing time there, as well as Hairston, occasionally Ginobili (assuming he re-signs) when the Spurs go to a three guard lineup and potentially a draft pick (I assume their preference is a defensive-minded SF or a combo forward, in that order). They'll likely be one more option brought in, but it'll probably be someone who's more of a guard (Temple) or a guard-forward (Almond) than a true SF.

Hill/Blair/Malik :)

Potentially Splitter as well, plus whoever they get in the draft, particularly in the first round. It's quite possible that by next season the Spurs will have a good, solid nucleus of young players to go forward with. For now, that would be perfect. Going forward, none of these guys projects as a best or second best player on a team (Blair might be able to be a second best player) and as the big three decline/go elsewhere/retire, this will become more and more glaring.

Blackjack
03-14-2010, 12:20 AM
THC, how can I explain it

I'll take you frame by frame it

To have y'all jumpin' shall we singin' it

T is for The, H is for Hairston (his lack of playing time)
scratch your temple

The last, C...well...that's pretty simple brah

It's sorta like ah..hell.. it's for fuckin' Coalition son

It's nine little letters leave us postin' here

You join it on the occasion coach been tardy

As game 'n it seems Pop needs some explainin'

Get Lifted . . .
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/29632117/Naughty+by+Nature.jpg
You down with THC? :smokin

Yeah, you know me....

Who's down with THC?!?

Blackjack
03-14-2010, 02:55 AM
On a serious note, Malik's really getting more comfortable and settled. You see it in his offensive game more than anything.

He's just playing with more purpose on that end; he not only looks like he belongs, he looks like a threat and someone that needs to be accounted for. His shots look natural and reactionary; his drives are decisive and his finishing ability has finally been on display when it comes to laying it in and/or using the glass.

Even in the short and sporadic time he's been given as a Spur, there's an incremental improvement that's steadily taken place in his overall game. He came in and played good D, maybe grabbed some boards, made a block or got a dunk every now and again, and now his offensive repertoire is beginning to come to fruition; he's now finishing those drives, making some of the intelligent plays/passes he's capable of, and his knowledge of the system and comfort level with his teammates has allowed him to find the beginnings of a niche for himself in the offense (which has no doubt helped with his shot).

We've still yet to see him get the opportunity to display any of the 3-point shooting he displayed with the Toros, but it hasn't been because he's turned them down or avoided attempting them. The ball just hasn't really gotten to the corner with the extra pass when he's in the game, which is pretty understandable, since he's a.) a bit of an unknown quantity with some of the vets who consciously or subconsciously go to someone they're more comfortable with; or b.) not likely to see the ball off the extra pass to the corner if a guy like Bonner gets a look on the wing (since Matt's paid to shoot that shot).

So I don't think it's anyone's fault or any big deal that we've yet to see the 3-point shot from Malik (it hasn't been to any detriment when he's been out there), but I think it's probably the next step in that incremental progression that's taken place thus far. Once his teammates come to trust and depend on him in the offense he'll get his opportunities; it'll come . . .

FeZZy
03-14-2010, 03:02 AM
:lmao genius

Muser
03-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Hairston beasted all over the Clippers, nice to see Pop giving him heavy minutes.

mountainballer
03-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Potentially Splitter as well, plus whoever they get in the draft, particularly in the first round. It's quite possible that by next season the Spurs will have a good, solid nucleus of young players to go forward with. For now, that would be perfect. Going forward, none of these guys projects as a best or second best player on a team (Blair might be able to be a second best player) and as the big three decline/go elsewhere/retire, this will become more and more glaring.

I agree about the potential best player. well, maybe it will take some years and some lottery picks, till Spurs get the chance to find this player (players).
however, this year might have some potential in this, but likely only if the Spurs take a big. (that's why I'm hoping that Monroe will fall to #20. he has more bust potential than others, but he definitely has some star player upside).
btw. (wrong topic) can anyone see the Spurs to try to either trade up or down?
why up? most of the more intriguing but still intriguing big men (Monroe, Udoh, Motiejunas, Whiteside, Sanders) will be picked from 8/10-15/17.
#12 (Wolves from Bobcats), #13 Heat, #16 Bulls, #17 Hornets might be on the market. (Wolves, Heat and Bulls are FA players and might need the cap space for FA offers. Hornets might still be on the desperation trip to save money. Wolves also have #2 and #25)

why down? Spurs need to rebuild within the next 3 years. they will also need to replace several players this year, but will be limited in their possibilities by exceptions (goes to Tiago) and the tax.
if they are more interested in role players at low cost, they could likely get for example #26 and #29 from the Grizzlies for #20.
good enough for a package like for example Pondexter plus Jerome Jordan.
or Sherron Collins plus Gani Lawal. (something in that mold. you get the idea)

SenorSpur
03-14-2010, 11:02 AM

OK. Now we're on the same page. The SF position has been the achilles heel for this team. It's been an issue and continues to be one - as RJ hasn't exactly panned out like Pop and RC had hoped. An upgrade, or let's say a better fit, is in order here.

As for the current crop, I believe Pop is so in love with Bogans attitude and desire to defend, that he will be back next year regardless. I'm ok with that, as long as he's not the starter. To me, Hairston is probably more SG than SF, due to his lack of length. As long as his outside shot is improved, combined with his uncanny aggressiveness and ability to slash and the Spurs have a key contributor at their disposal. I could see him pushing Hill for minutes as the starter.

Unless the Spurs can flip RJ's expiring deal for a player or two in return, I believe that is the only way they'll be able to obtain a young or mid-career SF, with current NBA experience.

SF is a need, but I suspect the Spurs will be stuck with Jefferson until the '11 trade deadline, so he'll likely be the lone true SF on the roster (this is a staple of the Spurs, to have one true SF and have a roster filled with players who's primary position is either SG or PF), with Bogans or someone of that ilk seeing time there, as well as Hairston, occasionally Ginobili (assuming he re-signs) when the Spurs go to a three guard lineup and potentially a draft pick (I assume their preference is a defensive-minded SF or a combo forward, in that order). They'll likely be one more option brought in, but it'll probably be someone who's more of a guard (Temple) or a guard-forward (Almond) than a true SF.
That's where I believe the Spurs have made their mistake - by interchanging smaller, spot-up shooters as SFs and habitually not employing more length at the SF position. However, they will have the opportunity to fill that void via the draft. I fully expect them to nab a young, talented, SF, who can give production at both ends of the court. A player like Paul George, immediately comes to mind. Syracuse's Wesley Johnson would be a dream, but he'll likely be long gone when the Spurs pick. Aside from the draft, there are other options. Much more will be known from Garrett Temple over the course of this 10-day contract. If they like him enough, perhaps the Spurs can sign him to the Summer League roster for a longer look.

Because the FO and ownership will likely move back to their strategy of fiscal economics, the roster will likely be rounded out with young, cheap, hungry players. The draft, D-League and unsigned free agent targets will likely be the way to go, in rounding out the SF position.

TD 21
03-15-2010, 01:16 AM
I agree about the potential best player. well, maybe it will take some years and some lottery picks, till Spurs get the chance to find this player (players).
however, this year might have some potential in this, but likely only if the Spurs take a big. (that's why I'm hoping that Monroe will fall to #20. he has more bust potential than others, but he definitely has some star player upside).
btw. (wrong topic) can anyone see the Spurs to try to either trade up or down?
why up? most of the more intriguing but still intriguing big men (Monroe, Udoh, Motiejunas, Whiteside, Sanders) will be picked from 8/10-15/17.
#12 (Wolves from Bobcats), #13 Heat, #16 Bulls, #17 Hornets might be on the market. (Wolves, Heat and Bulls are FA players and might need the cap space for FA offers. Hornets might still be on the desperation trip to save money. Wolves also have #2 and #25)

why down? Spurs need to rebuild within the next 3 years. they will also need to replace several players this year, but will be limited in their possibilities by exceptions (goes to Tiago) and the tax.
if they are more interested in role players at low cost, they could likely get for example #26 and #29 from the Grizzlies for #20.
good enough for a package like for example Pondexter plus Jerome Jordan.
or Sherron Collins plus Gani Lawal. (something in that mold. you get the idea)

Not even best player, I'm not sure any one of the bunch is a true second best player either.

Just having an asset the caliber of Monroe (a lottery caliber talent and a big man) fall to the Spurs would be significant because they could either keep him and shop McDyess or trade him (maybe attempt to package him with Jefferson or McDyess for an SF).

Unless a player like Monroe falls into the Spurs lap, I'd definitely be in favor of trading down and getting two picks from the Grizzlies, if that option were available.

OK. Now we're on the same page. The SF position has been the achilles heel for this team. It's been an issue and continues to be one - as RJ hasn't exactly panned out like Pop and RC had hoped. An upgrade, or let's say a better fit, is in order here.

As for the current crop, I believe Pop is so in love with Bogans attitude and desire to defend, that he will be back next year regardless. I'm ok with that, as long as he's not the starter. To me, Hairston is probably more SG than SF, due to his lack of length. As long as his outside shot is improved, combined with his uncanny aggressiveness and ability to slash and the Spurs have a key contributor at their disposal. I could see him pushing Hill for minutes as the starter.

Unless the Spurs can flip RJ's expiring deal for a player or two in return, I believe that is the only way they'll be able to obtain a young or mid-career SF, with current NBA experience.

That's where I believe the Spurs have made their mistake - by interchanging smaller, spot-up shooters as SFs and habitually not employing more length at the SF position. However, they will have the opportunity to fill that void via the draft. I fully expect them to nab a young, talented, SF, who can give production at both ends of the court. A player like Paul George, immediately comes to mind. Syracuse's Wesley Johnson would be a dream, but he'll likely be long gone when the Spurs pick. Aside from the draft, there are other options. Much more will be known from Garrett Temple over the course of this 10-day contract. If they like him enough, perhaps the Spurs can sign him to the Summer League roster for a longer look.

Because the FO and ownership will likely move back to their strategy of fiscal economics, the roster will likely be rounded out with young, cheap, hungry players. The draft, D-League and unsigned free agent targets will likely be the way to go, in rounding out the SF position.

I'd say it's 50/50 that Bogans will return. I assume the Spurs will attempt to upgrade his role at the draft and early in free agency and if they can't (let's face it, Bogans isn't going to be locked up somewhere fast most likely), then they'll probably bring him back.

I like Hairston, but assuming Jefferson returns, let's say Bogans does as well, you can't have three guys who aren't knockdown three point shooters in the rotation on the wings for a team that values the three point shot greatly. Not only would the Spurs be lacking three point shooting if this were the case, but again, they'd lack a true stopper.

Completely agree with the part I put in bold. Too often the Spurs have disregarded the differences between SG and SF as well as PF and C and what it's lead to is an increasingly undersized, un-athletic team (though this year the athleticism is definitely on the rise). Just because Bogans is built strong and lacks guard like skills, it doesn't mean he's an SF. Just because Blair plays like a center, at least on offense, it doesn't mean he's a C.

From the little I know of George, he seems like someone for down the road. I doubt he would be a rotation player for the Spurs next season.

Johnson definitely won't be available at the Spurs pick, as he's expected to go in the 5-8 range I believe.

Temple is really a guard more so than a wing (he's too thing to be an SF, save for in selective match-ups) and he's a fringe player.

Blackjack
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Pop ...

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1600000/Slater-dazed-and-confused-1626440-100-100.jpg (http://www.fanpop.com/spots/dazed-and-confused/links/1626440)

http://technicolored.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/sirsmokealot.gif

THC demands satisfaction, Pop!

Mel_13
03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Pop ...

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1600000/Slater-dazed-and-confused-1626440-100-100.jpg (http://www.fanpop.com/spots/dazed-and-confused/links/1626440)

http://technicolored.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/sirsmokealot.gif

THC demands satisfaction, Pop!

No worries.

When the Spurs fall behind by 20 tomorrow night, Pop won't make the rookie mistake Spoelstra made tonight and continue to play the first string in a futile effort to get back into the game. He'll pull the plug quick.

Plenty of minutes for Malik tomorrow.

Chieflion
03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
The Spurs Nation: We want Hairston

The Spurs go home after a quick road trip in Florida, realising that there was a riot in San Antonio by the Mexicans and Spurs fans, asking for more playing time for Hairston.

When interviewed, San Antonio Spurs head coach, Gregg Popovich, was pressured to give a satisfactory answer to the city of San Antonio. "I didn't give him much playing time in Florida because he was outside gallivanting. You know, there are many temptations out at South Beach and Hairston joined Dwyane Wade in one of his infamous parties."

San Antonio Spur, Tim Duncan, was also interviewed on his opinion about the riot. "I was shocked, really. I never thought Mexicans are Spurs fans. I thought Mexicans only know how to cook and eat."

Tony Parker, who was out with his wife Eva Longoria, was found near Mexican restaurants, looking for their dinner. Tony Parker was very disappointed and said that his mood was spoiled. "I thought it would be a happy homecoming, but the Mexican restaurants were not open, we settled for Charles' 5 dollar box from Taco Bell instead."

Manu Ginobili was not available, but he made his comment on facebook translated to English. "I just want to win, if this means more Hairston or less Hairston, then so be it."

The media searched hard for Keith Bogans, who wasn't readily available, as he needed protection from the police as rioting Mexicans threw cinnamon twists and rotten eggs at Keith Bogans, believing that Keith Bogans was the main beneficiary of Hairston's lack of playing time.

Roger Mason clearly made his disatisfactory reply by stating to the media that he wants more playing time. "I don't really care about Hairston, but I clearly deserve more playing time."

Former Austin Toro, Ian Mahinmi was asked about the riot. He didn't really know what to say, he blurted out, "I thought they were rioting for my playing time."

The hero of the city of San Antonio, Malik Hairston, is at the riverwalk, with the citizens of San Antonio, chanting his name, also known as The Hairston coalition. He is now unavailable as the keys to the city of San Antonio is being awarded to Malik Hairston.

That ends Chieflion's report on the future news on The Hairston Coalition.

Blackjack
03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah, that was my initial thought as well (but I couldn't work Slater or Sir-Smoke-Alot into that take).

In all seriousness though, I'm not looking to see Malik in during garbage time surrounded by the mop-up crew, the guy needs to be in there with the big boys where his game can augment and infuse theirs; Hairston's an asset this team could use going down the stretch ... the Spurs should be past getting him token minutes.

Malik needs to be seeing the court on a consistent basis; there's no reason or rationale that should prevent it at this point.

Blackjack
03-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I organized that bitch.:smokin

But I'm not Mexican (not that there's anything wrong with that).

BWS-1994
03-17-2010, 12:13 AM
The Spurs Nation: We want Hairston

The Spurs go home after a quick road trip in Florida, realising that there was a riot in San Antonio by the Mexicans and Spurs fans, asking for more playing time for Hairston.

When interviewed, San Antonio Spurs head coach, Gregg Popovich, was pressured to give a satisfactory answer to the city of San Antonio. "I didn't give him much playing time in Florida because he was outside gallivanting. You know, there are many temptations out at South Beach and Hairston joined Dwyane Wade in one of his infamous parties."

San Antonio Spur, Tim Duncan, was also interviewed on his opinion about the riot. "I was shocked, really. I never thought Mexicans are Spurs fans. I thought Mexicans only know how to cook and eat."

Tony Parker, who was out with his wife Eva Longoria, was found near Mexican restaurants, looking for their dinner. Tony Parker was very disappointed and said that his mood was spoiled. "I thought it would be a happy homecoming, but the Mexican restaurants were not open, we settled for Charles' 5 dollar box from Taco Bell instead."

Manu Ginobili was not available, but he made his comment on facebook translated to English. "I just want to win, if this means more Hairston or less Hairston, then so be it."

The media searched hard for Keith Bogans, who wasn't readily available, as he needed protection from the police as rioting Mexicans threw cinnamon twists and rotten eggs at Keith Bogans, believing that Keith Bogans was the main beneficiary of Hairston's lack of playing time.

Roger Mason clearly made his disatisfactory reply by stating to the media that he wants more playing time. "I don't really care about Hairston, but I clearly deserve more playing time."

Former Austin Toro, Ian Mahinmi was asked about the riot. He didn't really know what to say, he blurted out, "I thought they were rioting for my playing time."

The hero of the city of San Antonio, Malik Hairston, is at the riverwalk, with the citizens of San Antonio, chanting his name, also known as The Hairston coalition. He is now unavailable as the keys to the city of San Antonio is being awarded to Malik Hairston.

That ends Chieflion's report on the future news on The Hairston Coalition.

And I was about to look for a link for the complete article :rollin

Chieflion
03-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Gregg Popovich: Hairston got his playing time

After the media harassed Popovich to give Hairston more playing time, Popovich found a way to give Hairston some minutes, 12 of those in garbage time. He got 25 minutes and 1 seconds of playing time.

Hairston played an inefficient game and in the 1st half, got roasted by Vince Carter on two consecutive possessions. The Hairston Coalition, would disagree with me. However, Hairston played aggressively, but didn't get the calls, much to the despair of The Hairston Coalition. He was able to shoot the corner three though.

The refs are now being chased down by Hairston supporters at the moment and are not available to speak to the press at this time.

Meanwhile, Hairston was interviewed about the sudden increase of playing time. The soft spoken Malik Hairston said that it was "a pleasant surprise" to get minutes but felt fear in his coach's eyes when Popovich was speaking to him during timeouts.

Meanwhile, much to the delight of the Coalition, Keith Bogans only played 14 minutes and 33 seconds. When interviewed, Bogans said that he "felt obliged" to give his minutes to Malik Hairston. " Malik Hairston is a really good player, he made me work hard every practice, he deserves some minutes, no question."

The press did not interview Ian Mahinmi about the sudden increase in Malik's playing time, to prevent him from getting crazy or embarassing himself because he doesn't know what playing time is.

This ends Chieflion's report on Malik Hairston and "The Hairston Coalition".

timtonymanu
03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Gregg Popovich: Hairston got his playing time

After the media harassed Popovich to give Hairston more playing time, Popovich found a way to give Hairston some minutes, 12 of those in garbage time. He got 25 minutes and 1 seconds of playing time.

Hairston played an inefficient game and in the 1st half, got roasted by Vince Carter on two consecutive possessions. The Hairston Coalition, would disagree with me. However, Hairston played aggressively, but didn't get the calls, much to the despair of The Hairston Coalition. He was able to shoot the corner three though.

The refs are now being chased down by Hairston supporters at the moment and are not available to speak to the press at this time.

Meanwhile, Hairston was interviewed about the sudden increase of playing time. The soft spoken Malik Hairston said that it was "a pleasant surprise" to get minutes but felt fear in his coach's eyes when Popovich was speaking to him during timeouts.

Meanwhile, much to the delight of the Coalition, Keith Bogans only played 14 minutes and 33 seconds. When interviewed, Bogans said that he "felt obliged" to give his minutes to Malik Hairston. " Malik Hairston is a really good player, he made me work hard every practice, he deserves some minutes, no question."

The press did not interview Ian Mahinmi about the sudden increase in Malik's playing time, to prevent him from getting crazy or embarassing himself because he doesn't know what playing time is.

This ends Chieflion's report on Malik Hairston and "The Hairston Coalition".

shit this fake article is much more entertaining than E "the gods of spurs news" N news. Can we make your articles an official thread for every game?

Blackjack
03-17-2010, 10:44 PM

Yes, yes we would (on the two consecutive possessions where he was rubbed off on a screen and the help was late or weak).

And this explains my tardiness.;)

Oh, and Chieflion ...

http://spoutingoff.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/donald-trump-video-phone1.jpg

You're hired. :tu

Blackjack
03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
While it never hurts my feelings to see Malik on the court ... it's still frustrating to not see him given legitimate opportunities with first and second team.

What Malik is, at this point, offensively, is a weakside ball-player. He thrives off others play-making and playing against a compromised defense. He'll hit shots off others penetration, he'll exploit the seams with a straight-line drive and he'll finish around the rim via the pass or by cleaning up. So when he's out there with the mop-up crew ... there's just no way to gauge what he's really capable of and how he and the team would benefit if his minutes were to coincide with their best talent.

Pop needs to let the guy find a rhythm defensively, and that means playing through mistakes or poor officiating (which is bound to happen with a young player that hasn't been given the chance to establish himself). And once the guy can get a rhythm and find some consistency in his minutes ... that's when they'll Get Lifted . . . :smokin

ace3g
03-18-2010, 01:50 AM
One thing I liked last night all though by that time it was too late, I think the Magic were up 12 or so in the 3rd but Pop put in Hairston for Dice to guard Lewis on the Perimeter. It was a great idea but Hairston was on Lewis only like one time after that, the rest he was playing VC I believe. I would have switched RJ to VC and had Hairston on Lewis.

Also why after Bonner seemed to find the range to end the first half Pop decided not to play him in the 3rd? We needed his shooting especially when the Spurs got the game within 9 I believe. We kept hovering around that 11-13 pt deficit where we almost got it to single digit deficit but couldn't make shots and if the Spurs did, the Magic would match it.

Hill wasn't able to do anything tonight, his jumpshot was off and he didn't really go to the basket that much. Dice had another game where his "reliable" jumper did not fall. Timmy couldn't get his "patent" bank shot to fall as well as anything else. Mason still can't find the range (sure he made a few when the game was out of reach) but I prefer for Pop to put in Hairston in games when the Spurs can't hit shots because he will drive to the basket instead of shooting (which he did and on his first attempt almost made a tough basket over Howard but the ball rolled off the rim, just like everything else for the Spurs tonight).

Hairston again played good defense, still isn't getting respect from the refs but you clearly tell he is one the Spurs top 2-3 perimeter defenders. He finally hit a corner 3, hopefully that will gain him some confidence in the NBA level.

It felt weird saying "where would the Spurs have been tonight (early in the game) without RJ" considering the type of year he has had. He really kept the Spurs in the game, his shot was falling early and he aggressive to the basket; plus he was making some good passes to open guys on the perimeter.

All in all, yes the Spurs lost by a lot, but to me it was one of those games where the large deficit wasn't due to the Magic's defense rather the Spurs couldn't buy a basket. It is encouraging that RJ played well against a good team, would have been nice if Hill, Dice, and Duncan would have shown up in the starting lineup.

Mel_13
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
No worries.

When the Spurs fall behind by 20 tomorrow night, Pop won't make the rookie mistake Spoelstra made tonight and continue to play the first string in a futile effort to get back into the game. He'll pull the plug quick.

Plenty of minutes for Malik tomorrow.

Didn't need to be Nostradamus to make that call.

Now let's see Malik in meaningful minutes.

duncan228
03-19-2010, 11:42 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/45/fullj.32988d39de7067c591cc4b636b7797e9/32988d39de7067c591cc4b636b7797e9-getty-90044082ce001_warr_spurs.jpg

Chieflion
03-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Career night and Malik Hairston's internet influence.

It is Malik Hairston's career moment as he scored 16 points in 29:24 minutes of playing time. The Hairston Coalition has to be extraordinarily happy today despite the opponent being the Golden State Warriors.

Malik Hairston threw down some dunks, got to the line some, and shot a high percentage from the field. Defense, on the other hand, was quite non-existent.

Gregg Popovich was reported to have avoided the media post-game because he was puking at the lack of defense in this game. He left one sentence to the reporter for Hairston. "He is a baller."

Sean Elliott, a former member of the San Antonio Spurs, now broadcasting at the sidelines with Bill Land, had too many good things to say about Hairston during the game. I wouldn't be surprised that Sean Elliott is part of the Spurstalk community and posting as part of The Hairston Coalition.

Since the start of The Hairston Coalition, Malik Hairston's minutes has seen a sudden spike. Is the influence of the internet that big? This is also factoring in Gregg Popovich's disdain for the likes of Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and even Yahoo. Popovich also regularly reads Express News. The internet has influenced the likes of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, who have both been quoted to have been awed by Hairston's leaping ability.

"I was shocked when Malik Hairston soared up in the air to grab that rebound one-handed." Tony Parker commented, on his facebook profile.

Manu Ginobili's comments sounded way more jealousy. "It is not fair someone can jump that high and explode for a dunk like that."

On Spurstalk.com, the thread, "THC: The Hairston Coalition", has seen a lot of traffic, posts and some pictures of Malik Hairston's awesomeness. Is it any wonder that Hairston gets any playing time these days? Definitely not with the Coalition.

This ends Chieflion's report on Malik Hairston and his abilities to influence the World Wide Web.

Borosai
03-20-2010, 04:12 AM
I just saw three dunks by Malik in this game (video). The guy has deceptive hops: it doesn't look like he's jumping much, but he gets up... quickly... and in traffic. Nice to see.

silverblackfan
03-20-2010, 07:57 AM
That is the thing with Malik, he is deceptively quick at getting in the air. It results in blocked shots and dunks on defenders. Throw in a good defensive mind to use these abilities, and you have yourself a true baller.

OrEmuN
03-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Ermm.. is it too early to request for a Hairston wallpaper ? I love how he work his way from D-league to the NBA and his crazy hops

jjktkk
03-20-2010, 02:28 PM
That is the thing with Malik, he is deceptively quick at getting in the air. It results in blocked shots and dunks on defenders. Throw in a good defensive mind to use these abilities, and you have yourself a true baller.

I agree, Malik is really coming on. The Spurs FO gets ripped alot from some on here, fair, or unfair, but they have done a heckuva job in the past 2 drafts, in selecting Hill, Hairston, and Blair. It makes the future not look so dismal when the big 3 all eventually hang em up.

SenorSpur
03-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Hope the Spurs can finally land that long, athletic, SF in the upcoming draft.

Blackjack
03-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Career night and Malik Hairston's internet influence.

It is Malik Hairston's career moment as he scored 16 points in 29:24 minutes of playing time. The Hairston Coalition has to be extraordinarily happy today despite the opponent being the Golden State Warriors.

Malik Hairston threw down some dunks, got to the line some, and shot a high percentage from the field. Defense, on the other hand, was quite non-existent.

Gregg Popovich was reported to have avoided the media post-game because he was puking at the lack of defense in this game for the lack of defense. He left one sentence to the reporter for Hairston. "He is a baller."

Sean Elliott, a former member of the San Antonio Spurs, now broadcasting at the sidelines with Bill Land, had too many good things to say about Hairston during the game. I wouldn't be surprised that Sean Elliott is part of the Spurstalk community and posting as part of The Hairston Coalition.

Since the start of The Hairston Coalition, Malik Hairston's minutes has seen a sudden spike. Is the influence of the internet that big? This is also factoring in Gregg Popovich's disdain for the likes of Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and even Yahoo. Popovich also regularly reads Express News. The internet has influenced the likes of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, who have both been quoted to have been awed by Hairston's leaping ability.

"I was shocked when Malik Hairston soared up in the air to grab that rebound one-handed." Tony Parker commented, on his facebook profile.

Manu Ginobili's comments sounded way more jealousy. "It is not fair someone can jump that high and explode for a dunk like that."

On Spurstalk.com, the thread, "THC: The Hairston Coalition", has seen a lot of traffic, posts and some pictures of Malik Hairston's awesomeness. Is it any wonder that Hairston gets any playing time these days? Definitely not with the Coalition.

This ends Chieflion's report on Malik Hairston and his abilities to influence the World Wide Web.

As unfortunate as it was for me to have to miss this game ... it's nice to see fruit borne from THC's hard work and dedication; it takes a coalition . . .

http://notmymtv.com/images/dosequis_interesting.jpg

Get Lifted, my friends . . .

elbamba
03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Last night Durant kicked the Spurs butt. However, about the only time that Durant struggled was during the 8 minutes stretch that Harriston was defending him. Every shot was challenged and he settled for threes.

While Boggans could pretty much only foul, Harriston defended with by moving his feet and hands. Why Pop continues to play KB when Harriston shows time and again he is a better defender is beyound me.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Last night Durant kicked the Spurs butt. However, about the only time that Durant struggled was during the 8 minutes stretch that Harriston was defending him. Every shot was challenged and he settled for threes.

While Boggans could pretty much only foul, Harriston defended with by moving his feet and hands. Why Pop continues to play KB when Harriston shows time and again he is a better defender is beyound me.

Because Hairston clearly can't deliver in practice. Pop wouldn't play inferior players just because they were veterans because, well, 4 rings, faggot.

silverblk mystix
03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I saw the same thing---and this was right in front of POP'S FACE!!!!!

I was dumbfounded as to how Pop can see the proof right in front of his eyes and then as soon as Hairston made that 1 mental mistake ---when he did not wait in the corner for Manu's dish----pop pulls him out of the game and doesn't give hairston another shot...

geez...must be tough to be a young player under pop...

MaNu4Tres
03-25-2010, 03:35 AM
What will it take for Hairston to get an opportunity against a quality team?

Apparently it shouldn't be much seeing that Mason is still getting quality PT against the best teams in the league.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2010, 05:37 AM
What will it take for Hairston to get an opportunity against a quality team?

Apparently it shouldn't be much seeing that Mason is still getting quality PT against the best teams in the league.

Um, several years of mediocre play seems to be the requirement.

03-25-2010, 06:04 AM
after the lakers game, there's really no reason to continue playing mason and bogans. They have welted in the face of pressure way too many times and the spurs shouldn't hope to go far in the postseason. Must develop the young player so he's ready next season.

benefactor
03-25-2010, 08:32 AM
So the scenario looks like this...there are three players...one that is supposed to be the centerpiece of the defense, one that that is the shooter off the bench and one that is a developing young player.

The Centerpiece repeatedly blows defensive assignments and adds nothing on the offensive end, the shooter sucks at shooting yet cries about playing time and demands a trade at the deadline(and continues to suck after he is given the PT) and the young player waits two seasons while tearing it up on the D-League squad(without complaint), plays hard and is effective when given the opportunity and makes the occasional mistake because...well...he's a young player.

You tell me which one deserves minutes.

Whisky Dog
03-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Hairston and Ian should start a company producing benches since those two poor bastards know more about them than anyone.

mountainballer
03-25-2010, 08:56 AM
So the scenario looks like this...there are three players...one that is supposed to be the centerpiece of the defense, one that that is the shooter off the bench and one that is a developing young player.

The Centerpiece repeatedly blows defensive assignments and adds nothing on the offensive end, the shooter sucks at shooting yet cries about playing time and demands a trade at the deadline(and continues to suck after he is given the PT) and the young player waits two seasons while tearing it up on the D-League squad(without complaint), plays hard and is effective when given the opportunity and makes the occasional mistake because...well...he's a young player.

You tell me which one deserves minutes.

hmm. that's a gotcha question, right?

I say, right answer is the centerpiece.
he was at 6 different teams in the last 7 years. so he knows the most NBA players.
and so he can tell them that the Spurs really are the classy organization for veterans people think they are. they always play a 3rd stringer veteran over their young and more talented players. this will reinforce their reputation and persuade other 3rd stringer veterans to sign with the Spurs. I guess you call that image cultivation. nice plan.

Blackjack
03-26-2010, 08:54 PM
So Pop went with him over Mason but in concert with Bogans . . .

I'm not sure what Pop's rationale is (haven't for a while now) but hopefully this signifies the start of Malik's ascension over Mason in the lineup; hopefully Hairston gettin' screwed with 2, if not 3, foul calls doesn't have THC back at Square 1.

Believe . . .:smokin

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
That's the problem with playing him this late though..they literally call a foul on him when he breathes on anybody because they don't know him, that's how NBA officiating works..it's too late for him to establish a name for himself this late..

2 of the 3 fouls he received were non-existent and the other was questionable, but that will always happen..

I doubt Pop can live with that, hopefully he's thinking long-term and let's him develop and work through this tough part..

ace3g
03-26-2010, 08:59 PM
yeah a couple of those fouls were "rookie" calls but that is what Pop gets for playing him sporadically throughout the season.

Blackjack
03-26-2010, 09:23 PM
That's the problem with playing him this late though..they literally call a foul on him when he breathes on anybody because they don't know him, that's how NBA officiating works..it's too late for him to establish a name for himself this late..

2 of the 3 fouls he received were non-existent and the other was questionable, but that will always happen..

I made mention of that in the game blog; it's frustrating to know this could've been avoided.

But, at this point, what do they have to lose (if Mason and Bogans are the options)?

I doubt Pop can live with that, hopefully he's thinking long-term and let's him develop and work through this tough part..

And that's the shift I hoped it signified.

Other than one quarter in OKC, Mason's done nothing to warrant time of any sort. You'd think that Hairston's time would come at Bogans' expense, especially when the Spurs are without Parker and are in need of ballhandler's, but it seems Keith has become Malik's babysitter in Pop's eyes . . .

Obstructed_View
03-26-2010, 09:59 PM

So you know it can't end well when Malik's standing there with his hands up and LBJ is barrelling toward him at full speed.

ace3g
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
well there goes Hairston's minutes, he dunked the ball instead of running out the clock, lol

Dex
03-26-2010, 10:07 PM
So long Malik. It was good to have you as a Spur. :lol

Behrooz24
03-26-2010, 10:07 PM
RIP Malik

Blackjack
03-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Looks like THC's going to have to be relocated . . . :depressed

ace3g
03-27-2010, 12:14 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f0/fullj.ce871b5f799619b197f8cbd5616bb317/ce871b5f799619b197f8cbd5616bb317-getty-90044179ab039_cavs_spurs.jpg

CFH
03-27-2010, 12:20 AM
He was just sticking it to the man. :lol

cnyc3
03-27-2010, 12:35 AM
LMAO that smile is hilarious. "How'd u like that timmay?"

CFH
03-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Tim's like: "You fool!!! Do you realize what you've done?!?!"

DesignatedT
03-27-2010, 12:42 AM
:lol nice picture.

Blackjack
03-27-2010, 12:47 AM
That smile turned into a WTF rather quick; wished we could see a pic from a few seconds later. :lol

Blackjack
03-27-2010, 02:16 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/100326_23.jpg

Get Lifted (Infamously) . . . :smokin

CFH
03-27-2010, 02:48 AM
It looks like he's standing on air. :wow

Blackjack
03-27-2010, 02:56 AM
It looks like he's standing on air. :wow

That's THC for ya . . . :smokin

santymrc
03-27-2010, 03:09 AM

That's THC for ya . . . :smokin

Man I love that movie hahaha. I saw it like a millon times already :lol:lol

iminol
03-27-2010, 07:26 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f0/fullj.ce871b5f799619b197f8cbd5616bb317/ce871b5f799619b197f8cbd5616bb317-getty-90044179ab039_cavs_spurs.jpg

So he can smile. Now I know.:hat

TD 21
03-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Hairston is not a fit with the Spurs current rotation (unless he were taking Bogans spot, which he isn't). The Spurs desperately need their third guard to be able to handle, create some and shoot the three, all things that aren't Hairston's strength. This is why Mason is vital until Parker comes back, because he's the Spurs best option to fill this role, otherwise they're going to wear out Ginobili and Hill.

Any time I see Ginobili playing point with Hairston and Bogans on the wings, I cringe. The latter two are similar and when your point guard is really a natural shooting guard and not a guy who you want play major minutes or carrying too heavy a load, the last thing you want the other two perimeter players to be is sub par ball handlers and creators.

As others have said, it doesn't hurt that the refs are unfamiliar with Hairston and give him no respect. Bogans is coming off his best game as a Spur and unfortunately for Hairston, the prudent thing to do for the Spurs right now is to not have him in the regular rotation. That being said, against the Nets they'll probably need fresh legs, which is why Duncan should not play and Mahinmi and Hairston both should.

Behrooz24
03-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Did they find Hairston's body yet?

tothrowed
03-27-2010, 07:15 PM
so he can smile. Now i know.:hat
lmao yall niggas see duncan's hand he look like he bout to slap hariston

Duncan21kid
03-28-2010, 05:26 AM
THC bitchezzzzzzzzzzzz

Blackjack
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
So, according to Sean ... Manu's pretty high on Malik . . . :smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Malik will never be more than a bit player. But I love his hustle. He's a vintage Bench Spur.

200 miles
03-31-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry to ask this but, why can't Malik be a SG?

Why does everyone see him as a 3?

Chieflion
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Manu Ginobili: I think I am high on Malik Hairston

Manu states that he is high on Malik Hairston. Is Malik Hairston some sort of new drug? According to Sean Elliott, Malik Hairston is like a powerful drug. He excites Elliott in every single way. "Check out that dunk!" Elliott commented very enthusiastically.

"Oh yes. I feel so good." Manu Ginobili claims that. Everytime he sees Hairston leap up into the air to grab a rebound, or block a shot, he feels his heartbeat race. He knew he had found the right drug.

Every drug has a codename, except for Hairston. Manu Ginobili also claims that his new-found drug makes him feel exceptionally high when talking about his athletic ability. "You feel like you can fly with him, oh I feel so giddy.

Michael Beasley, of the Miami Heat and Lamar Odom of the Lakers share the same sentiment. " Watching Malik Hairston play is better than smoking weed. I hope we can get out of drug and alcohol abuse by watching Malik Hairston."

That's all for Chieflion's report on Malik Hairston.

200 miles
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Malik will never be more than a bit player. But I love his hustle. He's a vintage Bench Spur.

Didn't you say the same about Hill this time last year?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Didn't you say the same about Hill this time last year?

who the fuck are you and how the hell do you think you know anything i have ever said about George Hill?

I been on that kid's jock since week three of last season

I dubbed him The Chosen Son of San Antonio.

I'm probably his biggest fan on this forum.

Blackjack
03-31-2010, 11:08 PM
He's a utility player and glueguy that actually possesses talent. He brings the hustle, energy and athleticism to be one of those guys that sticks in the league because of effort and a work-ethic, but he's more than that; the guy can play and he's a tough, fearless sonbitch.

Malik's a championship-level bench/role player, IMO, and if he starts seeing the court with any kind of consistency, with the Spurs' best players (that Duncan, Jefferson, Hairston, Ginobili and Hill lineup late was a sight for sore eyes -- even if it was smallball), I'm sure he'll make some more believers.

200 miles
03-31-2010, 11:18 PM
who the fuck are you and how the hell do you think you know anything i have ever said about George Hill?

I been on that kid's jock since week three of last season

I dubbed him The Chosen Son of San Antonio.

I'm probably his biggest fan on this forum.

Maybe it was someone else that said that, but I do specifically remember someone saying that Hill wouldn't be that good sometime last year.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Maybe it was someone else that said that, but I do specifically remember someone saying that Hill wouldn't be that good sometime last year.

rofl just cuz someone said it you thought it was CBF?

I like most was like WTF when we drafted him but after preseason i was lukewarm and after a few weeks I was sold, then after Parker got ankle bloaded I was George Hill 4 Life.

200 miles
03-31-2010, 11:36 PM
rofl just cuz someone said it you thought it was CBF?

I like most was like WTF when we drafted him but after preseason i was lukewarm and after a few weeks I was sold, then after Parker got ankle bloaded I was George Hill 4 Life.

I remember it was someone with a high post count that said that.

My mistake, CBF.

benefactor
03-31-2010, 11:40 PM
tee ach see.

Blackjack
04-01-2010, 12:16 AM
tee ach see.

http://aleksandreia.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/al_bundy_vs_chobot.jpg

The Truth #6
04-01-2010, 12:29 AM
I still want him to play more but he needs some more work. I love his random spectacular plays but he's still hesitant in my opinion which makes sense because he's afraid to make mistakes and get yanked. That's something Pop needs to work on as a coach. He doesn't get the most out of his players. Hill has played very well this year but it took Pop to lather over the top ridiculous praise on him for it to finally come true.

Back to Haurston. He's never going to make the next step until he improves his handle. It's way worse than RMJs. If he can do that over the summer then his game will take off.

spectator
04-13-2010, 12:11 AM
i'll bump this b/c he played great tonight. i like seeing him take the 3 - shows confidence - and i liked his assists. he is still developing, but i would like him to become our future sf.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 12:14 AM
If the ball-handling improves, he's going to be a legit rotation player..his shot still needs work, but the ball-handling is the key..he's an elite athlete, great rebounder for his size, finishes well and strong at the rim and plays good D..the ball-handling keeps him from getting to where he wants to be though..

The positive is that as bad as Hairston's ball-handling and as inconsistent as his shooting currently is, it's actually improved significantly from when we first saw him on the scene for the Spurs..I see no reason to think he won't improve them again with another Summer of work, he's done it in the previous 2 years..the guy was basically a PF in college, his game needed an overhaul..

He's still a raw player, but the potential is clear IMO, Spurs would be smart to keep investing in him IMO, especially for cheap..