PDA

View Full Version : "The DaVinci Code The Movie"

Cant_Be_Faded
05-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Can you believe they are making a movie about The DaVinci Code?

I don't understand America's fascination with this. I browsed through a couple chapters and it didn't seem all it was cracked up to be...

Why is it so interesting learning about Mary Magdalene and Secret Societies?

exstatic
05-02-2005, 06:19 PM
People love conspiracies. Did you get the major "point" of the book? About what MM really was?

Cant_Be_Faded
05-02-2005, 06:24 PM
I never read that deep into it.

My girlfriend read it and yacked my head off for hours on end about it, but after a while i kind of phased out.....so no, what was the MM?

JoeChalupa
05-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I'll wait for the DVD.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Ohh, yeah i know how she was the supposed lover of christ and mother of his children.

I just don't understand this huge fascination. They have 2 made-for-video(DVD) documentaries of this, a special that was aired on the History Channel, a 2nd book version including pictures, and now an official movie with Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks!

This is like bigger than Hitch.

exstatic
05-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Ohh, yeah i know how she was the supposed lover of christ and mother of his children.

I just don't understand this huge fascination. They have 2 made-for-video(DVD) documentaries of this, a special that was aired on the History Channel, a 2nd book version including pictures, and now an official movie with Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks!

This is like bigger than Hitch.

People bought the book. It went to like 21 printings...in hardback. Of course others are going to try to cash in on it.

From what I understand the book implies that Mary was basically a slutbag.
Nope, but thanks for playing I believe what the Vatican sells without question.

E20
05-02-2005, 07:55 PM
God had children?

Drachen
05-02-2005, 08:10 PM
People bought the book. It went to like 21 printings...in hardback. Of course others are going to try to cash in on it.

Nope, but thanks for playing I believe what the Vatican sells without question.

This is not true, the Vatican said once and for all in the 60's that there is no proof at all that MM was a prostitute.

Gatita
05-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Finally checked this book out of the public library. I saw the documentary on the History Channel and it peaked my curiosity. From what I saw and heard, sounds interesting to me.

Drachen
05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Finally checked this book out of the public library. I saw the documentary on the History Channel and it peaked my curiosity. From what I saw and heard, sounds interesting to me.

Even without any of the religio-political stuff it is a great detective story.

jalbre6
05-03-2005, 10:13 AM
The weirdest thing about the Da Vinci Code is how many people think that there's some truth to it. It's a _novel_ that you find in the _fiction_ section of the bookstore. Though there is some good that came out of it: my granddad learned how to use the internet researching stuff from the novel.

Angels and Demons was a better read, in my opinion. At least it dealt with hard science as well as religion. The two books about the NSA look good as well.

Gatita
05-03-2005, 10:20 AM

I read the first chapter so far. It is a good read, wish I had more time for it. (Maybe, I should get the heck outta here :) ) Even with the religious and political aspects, it is still good. They managed to interwine all subjects pretty well.

jalbre6
05-03-2005, 10:24 AM

True, that it was. I was fortunate enough to have read the illustrated version and that really added to the story.

By the way, a good way to make money is to find Da Vinci Code hardbacks and sell them to Half Price Books. I've never gotten more than $5 for a book and they gave me $12 for the illustrated version.

exstatic
05-03-2005, 10:49 AM
This is not true, the Vatican said once and for all in the 60's that there is no proof at all that MM was a prostitute.

After smearing her from the 6th century up to that point. Yeah, they finally came correct, but did you see the initial reactions in this thread?

"Oh, yeah, the prostitute..."

It takes a long time to undo a 13 century smear campaign.

Gatita
05-03-2005, 11:10 AM
After smearing her from the 6th century up to that point. Yeah, they finally came correct, but did you see the initial reactions in this thread?

"Oh, yeah, the prostitute..."

It takes a long time to undo a 13 century smear campaign.

Maybe 'cause their is nothing but sausage on this Forum. :lol

MannyIsGod
05-03-2005, 11:42 AM
From what I understand the book implies that Mary was basically a slutbag.
Yeah, sure, a "slutbag" with her own gospel. You might want to read it.

The dichotomy of the two Marys in Christian history has done nothing but contribute to the female double standard where you are either choosing to be the pious Virgin, or the Whore. The implications of a social or personal acceptance of MM being Christ's lover and not a slut could do a lot for how women are allowed to perceive themselves if they choose to be sexually active. Her role as Christ's lover would mean that *gasp* sex isn't dirty.

That's one of the reasons for the fascination with MM. The other is that Brown has sensationalized it with a well-written page-turner - the more likely reason. Anyways, I think it's great that MM is getting this kind of exposure.

EDIT: Manny didn't sign out again, this was Jekka.

CosmicCowboy
05-03-2005, 11:51 AM
It was a very well written book...Angels and Demons was too...Dan Brown is a master at taking small facts out of context and building credible, seemingly rational scenarios around these isolated facts...but as stated previously you just have to read it with the understanding that it is just very well written historical fiction...

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2005, 12:35 PM
It was a very well written book...Angels and Demons was too...Dan Brown is a master at taking small facts out of context and building credible, seemingly rational scenarios around these isolated facts...but as stated previously you just have to read it with the understanding that it is just very well written historical fiction...

Well said.

It is definitely fiction. Aliens landing in Roswell is more factually supported than most of what The DaVinci Code contains.