PDA

View Full Version : Spurs FO--Give Ginobili an extension now or he is gone!

JiggaWhat99
03-10-2010, 11:43 PM
How I see it Ginobili is back to his allstar caliber. Now that Tony is out for a while, and will have only a few games before the playoffs, i think this maybe the last year we see the big three together. If we dont sign Manu now, some team will offer him a lot more than the Spurs will, and that will be the end of the Big Three and any hope for another championship. Granted we have two good players in Hill and Blair, and a bust in RJ, we need the big three to actually contend in the playoffs. What do you guy think?

DesignatedT
03-10-2010, 11:50 PM
he will get it soon enough.

alchemist
03-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Unless he commits to not playing anymore NT Basketball I don't want the Spurs to resign him.

exstatic
03-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Unless he commits to not playing anymore NT Basketball I don't want the Spurs to resign him.

Are you watching these games? Do you see what happens when he goes out? You want that full time?

If he makes it all the way through the season without health issues, and I think that is still an open question, he gets a nice two year extension.

itzsoweezee
03-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Lol, he's already gone. What possible incentive exits for him to stay at this point? He's either going to get more money elsewhere, or he's going to end up on a contender (which the Spurs clearly are not).

The front office is a fucking joke. Their long-term plan is to hope they luck out in the lottery next year.

4>0rings
03-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Unless he commits to not playing anymore NT Basketball I don't want the Spurs to resign him.This. He's no good to the Spurs injured and he will get injured again playing for his NT.

Ice009
03-11-2010, 12:54 AM

You're quickly turning into one of the worst posters around.

You're pimping Bogans in the game thread today trying to tell me e's not that bad and now are wanting Manu gone? I don't think you know anything about Basketball.

I am not saying your point sucks, but if you want to take that stance please show me who the Spurs should sign if Manu won't do what you're asking him to.

alchemist
03-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Are you watching these games? Do you see what happens when he goes out? You want that full time?

If he makes it all the way through the season without health issues, and I think that is still an open question, he gets a nice two year extension.
Giving him an extension without a promise to quit the NT is pointless, you'll only get a tired Manu to start the next season. Or he can take a pay cut and play in the summer.

Ice009
03-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Giving him an extension without a promise to quit the NT is pointless, you'll only get a tired Manu to start the next season. Or he can take a pay cut and play in the summer.

Who do you replace him with if you let him go?

You're going to get a Roger Mason Jr. level player or worse probably.

alchemist
03-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Who do you replace him with if you let him go?

You're going to get a Roger Mason Jr. level player or worse probably.
don't know just yet, haven't studied the off season free agents

Ice009
03-11-2010, 01:14 AM

It doesn't matter if you know the free agents the point I am trying to make is the Spurs can't afford anyone anywhere near Manu's level.

Cane
03-11-2010, 01:15 AM
The Spurs have until July but as long as he stays healthy and limits/eliminates playing for his NT; then its a no-brainer to resign him. Hopefully thats what happens - the Spurs have had too many unfortunate injuries to the Big 3 these past couple of seasons.

Ginobili's back to his vintage self and there's no other player that can replace his impact on the Spurs. On top of filling the stat-sheet, he also develops quick chemistry with new players. He's also the guy that this town loves; he's the one that gets the crowd into the game as seen again tonight.

alchemist
03-11-2010, 01:22 AM
It doesn't matter if you know the free agents the point I am trying to make is the Spurs can't afford anyone anywhere near Manu's level.
That I know but will the Spurs just throw half of next season away should Manu play this summer? I'd love for them to resign him but if he plays for the NT he should have to take a penalty with it. Considering his age and health history.

ElNono
03-11-2010, 01:26 AM
That I know but will the Spurs just throw half of next season away should Manu play this summer? I'd love for them to resign him but if he plays for the NT he should have to take a penalty with it. Considering his age and health history.

Sometimes you have to gamble if you want to win. The Spurs took a gamble with Jefferson and it didn't pan out. Do we throw away Duncan's last season and start rebuilding or we take another gamble and see if it pays off?

alchemist
03-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Sometimes you have to gamble if you want to win. The Spurs took a gamble with Jefferson and it didn't pan out. Do we throw away Duncan's last season and start rebuilding or we take another gamble and see if it pays off?
It's a very high risk gamble with Manu (if he plays for the NT) but I guess you take it considering that he knows everything from top to bottom on the O/D and the years left with Duncan. Obviously something that you can't get from any FA.

ElNono
03-11-2010, 01:35 AM
It's a very high risk gamble with Manu (if he plays for the NT) but I guess you take it considering that he knows everything from top to bottom on the O/D and the years left with Duncan. Obviously something that you can't get from any FA.

Exactly. If we had 3 more years of a window with TD, then you don't need to gamble. You have plenty of time to trade, or even groom somebody. But if we're really in win now mode, I don't see how you let him walk.
Then again, there's plenty of time until July 1st.

Manufan909
03-11-2010, 01:41 AM
The Spurs have until July but as long as he stays healthy and limits/eliminates playing for his NT; then its a no-brainer to resign him. Hopefully thats what happens - the Spurs have had too many unfortunate injuries to the Big 3 these past couple of seasons.

Ginobili's back to his vintage self and there's no other player that can replace his impact on the Spurs. On top of filling the stat-sheet, he also develops quick chemistry with new players. He's also the guy that this town loves; he's the one that gets the crowd into the game as seen again tonight.

This. No reason not to resign him, and no fucktard penalty either, I think Manu will make the right choice and retire from NT, hope Tony can do it the same summer.

itzsoweezee
03-11-2010, 01:51 AM

LOL at this idiot

kuato
03-11-2010, 01:55 AM
This. No reason not to resign him, and no fucktard penalty either, I think Manu will make the right choice and retire from NT, hope Tony can do it the same summer.

Retire from NT to do what ? , get less and less salary, less and less respect on a non contender team ?

NFGIII
03-11-2010, 02:09 AM

Besides exstatic's answer to the above it needs to be pointed out that the Spurs CAN'T ask any player not play for their repsective NTs. It's against NBA rules/bylaws. Stern would come down on any franchise that was caught doing that. Just even commenting about it gets you in hot water.

If Manu wants to play for his NT there is nothing that the Spurs or if he signs with another team can do about it. At this time the Spurs and all the other teams have to just go with it and hope that their respective players don't get hurt.

Now with the upcoming new CBA and a possible lockout in the near future then maybe the owner's give in on one point and then demand that they can control their players involvement reagrding that. Wishful thinking but anything is possible. I know that Cuban doesn't like this situation (he said so IIRC about 2 years ago - give or take) and I would be willing to bet neither does Pop.

Manu is finally back to being Manu and I believe that Manu is in the driver's seat at this point if he continues to be healthy. He could either re-sign if the FO gives him an extension or wait and see what's other teams offer this summer.

But if he gets injuried.......

Sports can be a crapshoot at times. You never know what is going to happen.

Just ask TP.

TD 21
03-11-2010, 02:31 AM

There is no gamble. You take one last run at it next season, then the seemingly inevitable lockout will commence and then Duncan will likely retire, so the Spurs will be forced into a re-build then anyway. I hear people saying re-build now and I don't get it. What's the point of the re-build? To one day win another championship, but let's be honest, no big time star is coming to small market San Antonio to lead a re-building team, so unless the Spurs can find an authentic superstar in the draft sometime soon, they'll have no chance at competing for a championship.

However bleak it may look, the big three, when healthy, are still a championship caliber core. The Spurs have two (and will hopefully have a third) good, young players to augment them, so there is a base in place. Obviously, it will still be an uphill battle, but the opportunity is still there and it's an opportunity the Spurs owe to Duncan. Not only for what he's given to the franchise on the court, but off the court, giving up $11 million over 2 years so that they'd get him more help and compete for a championship for the duration of his contract.

8FOR!3
03-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Lol, he's already gone. What possible incentive exits for him to stay at this point? He's either going to get more money elsewhere, or he's going to end up on a contender (which the Spurs clearly are not).

The front office is a fucking joke. Their long-term plan is to hope they luck out in the lottery next year.

DON'T JUMP...Come down from there and we can talk about this...

polandprzem
03-11-2010, 06:39 AM
S&T for a youngster !

smeagol
03-11-2010, 06:51 AM
As much as I'd love watching Manu play for my NT, I think his days defending the Argie colors are over. He has done enough in that department. Time for others (Delfino?) to pick up that responsability.

Manu needs to finish his NBA carrier on a high note.

Josepatches_
03-11-2010, 07:22 AM
I think the same.Ginobili won all with his NT.He has enough medals.He has the gold medal of the Olympic games....
If he was young he will play again but actually i don't see the reason to play more with Argentina.

It's not the same with Tony who never won with France.

Manu played well this year.The problem to resign or not must be only in money terms.
I dont see a lot of better players than him to sign next summer.Only Lebron,Wade or Bosh. If we can sign one of them then Manu will be not a priority although we could sign him anyway.

But that's not going to happen so resign Manu is the first move to do if we still want to be in the fight or.. we can forget to win in the next 3 or 4 years and begin the rebuilt.It's something that it's going to happen anyway.

CAPARG
03-11-2010, 07:23 AM
as much as i'd love watching manu play for my nt, i think his days defending the argie colors are over. He has done enough in that department. Time for others (delfino?) to pick up that responsability.

Manu needs to finish his nba carrier on a high note.

+1

baseline bum
03-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I definitely didn't think he should get the extension a month ago, but he's clearly getting stronger as the season goes on and one again looks like the "old Manu" and not the "old" Manu. I had serious doubts as to whether he could ever become that player again after his very slow start, but he is there now. At this point you gotta extend him unless (1) he gets a nasty injury between now and the end of the season or (2) the team is going to be blown up.

TDMVPDPOY
03-11-2010, 07:38 AM
im certain his gone this summer...some team will give a short contract with big money he cant refused

if rudy gay is going to get 10-15m a season next season, i see why gino cant check in his last paycheck

urunobili
03-11-2010, 07:39 AM
As much as I'd love watching Manu play for my NT, I think his days defending the Argie colors are over. He has done enough in that department. Time for others (Delfino?) to pick up that responsability.

Manu needs to finish his NBA carrier on a high note.

I disagree.

Manu is what he is thanks to the NT and the CABB. They were the ones developing him to the extend he ended up going to Europe.

He has been waiting for the right tournament to have a decent Farewell and he has a date with history should Argentina win gold in the WC.

I think Manu wants a last ride with the Golden generation and Turkey will be it.

NBA? He has three rings already...

He was robbed from his World Cup by some greek refs fucks on the final against Serbia a match he couldn't play because he injured his foot with Dirk's on the semi final...

For Manu's resume WC >>>>>>>>>> another ring... he's a winner... on every level... if he wins the WC he'll go down as a top 10 winner all time and top 25 basketball player all time... and first ballot HOF'er...

leo_d
03-11-2010, 07:56 AM
No argentinian in his right mind who had watched basketball before 2002 thinks that Manu owes something to NT.

WalterBenitez
03-11-2010, 08:22 AM
This. He's no good to the Spurs injured and he will get injured again playing for his NT.

:wow You probably don't understand what NT means for non US people

Don't see why the cause and effect is related.

smeagol
03-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I disagree.

Manu is what he is thanks to the NT and the CABB. They were the ones developing him to the extend he ended up going to Europe.

He has been waiting for the right tournament to have a decent Farewell and he has a date with history should Argentina win gold in the WC.

I think Manu wants a last ride with the Golden generation and Turkey will be it.

NBA? He has three rings already...

He was robbed from his World Cup by some greek refs fucks on the final against Serbia a match he couldn't play because he injured his foot with Dirk's on the semi final...

For Manu's resume WC >>>>>>>>>> another ring... he's a winner... on every level... if he wins the WC he'll go down as a top 10 winner all time and top 25 basketball player all time... and first ballot HOF'er...

Again, I'd love to see him win the WC or another Gold medal. I don't think this will happen, even if he plays. Manu has given everything to the NT. It is time for him to think about how he wants to finish his NBA carrier.

It is just my humble opinion.

smeagol
03-11-2010, 09:14 AM
It's funny that after giving my opinion on this thread, I read multiple articles on the papers about a teleconference Manu gave yesterday where he says that as the WC gets closer, hi is starting to want to play it (but he also says it will be very difficult for him to be in Turkey - contract year, the twins, he is not getting younger, etc)

ElNono
03-11-2010, 09:20 AM
One other thing I want to remind people about when we talk about playing for National Teams is that the rule where NBA teams can't tell players not to play was not put in place by the players's union, but it's actually a pet peeve by the Commissioner with the whole 'expanding the NBA through FIBA' premise... As far as Stern is concerned, as long as players are insured to go play in these tournaments, it's all peachy. That's why I feel that the next CBA won't affect that ruling much, if at all.

MB20
03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
My Ivan Drago impersonation: "If he is gone, he is gone."
Show must go on. Stop with the drama.

Cane
03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
One other thing I want to remind people about when we talk about playing for National Teams is that the rule where NBA teams can't tell players not to play was not put in place by the players's union, but it's actually a pet peeve by the Commissioner with the whole 'expanding the NBA through FIBA' premise... As far as Stern is concerned, as long as players are insured to go play in these tournaments, it's all peachy. That's why I feel that the next CBA won't affect that ruling much, if at all.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next CBA. I'm sure most owners rather have their multi-million dollar players not getting tired and fatigued by playing competitively in the summer and it looks like owners will be having a lot of say.

Anyway, that rule you're talking about has been interesting to me since Dirk and Mark Cuban came to a mutual agreement about not playing for Germany. I'm not sure if thats a violation of that rule but hopefully Manu does the same for the Spurs and Buford.

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki revealed Friday that the decision not to play for his country's national team this summer stems from a mutual agreement he hatched years ago with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Irked by press reports suggesting that Cuban barred him for representing Germany at next month's European Championships in Poland, Nowitzki told ESPN.com that his relationship with Cuban is "stronger than ever" and that he had promised his boss that he'd take a step away from international play if the Germans managed to qualify for the Olympics. That happened last summer when Nowitzki's team finally made it to Beijing after missing out in 2000 and 2004.

"I'm not mad at Cubes at all," Nowitzki said in a phone interview. "He's been great to me these last 10, 11 years. He always let me chase my dream. And we always agreed that if I made the Olympics, it would be [time] to take a break.

"This time he basically told me, 'I'd prefer if you not play.' He kind of left it up to me. I think if I would have really kept harping on it, then he wouldn't have tried to stop me. But I think it's the right decision.

"I'm happy I'm keeping my word to him, because he kept his word to me for the last 10, 11 years."

The NBA's agreement with FIBA -- basketball's international governing body -- stipulates that NBA teams cannot prevent their players from participating in international competition in the offseason as long as the players' respective national federations can afford the requisite insurance.

The exception to that rule is when a player is injured or still recovering from a documented injury, as evidenced earlier this week when the Mavericks did invoke their right to prevent reserve guard J.J. Barea from joining Puerto Rico's national team because Barea is still recovering from shoulder surgery in late May.

Another example is Los Angeles Clippers center Chris Kaman, who was not ready to play for Germany this summer -- after his contributions as a newcomer last summer helped the Nowitzki-led Germans make their Olympic breakthrough -- because of a stubborn foot injury that limited Kaman to 31 games last season.

Without Kaman on the roster for the European Championships, Nowitzki ultimately agreed that the potential payoff from grinding through an extra month of practices and games with no NBA-level help were minimal at best. Having celebrated his 31st birthday in June -- after a difficult end to the 2008-09 season during which he had to play through the arrest of his fiancee in the midst of Dallas' second-round series with Denver -- Nowitzki is bound to benefit from the extra rest heading into his 12th NBA season.

Nowitzki, though, conceded that his first taste of the Olympics only stoked his patriotism further, prompting him to start musing about a return to international play in the summer of 2011 to try to help Germany qualify for the 2012 Games in London.

"I'm not retiring from the national team," Nowitzki said. "I have to see where my body is at and where my career is at, but the Olympics were so good that I wouldn't mind trying again for London."

Reminded that he first has a big decision to make in the summer of 2010, when he can bypass the final year of his contract to become a free agent, Nowitzki said: "You know that a lot of things can happen in this league in a year, but I'm not looking to opt out right now. I've still got a year to figure all that out. ... Everything [about the future] is still open, but like I've always said, I'm still looking at finishing my career in Dallas."

Referring in part to the July acquisition of Shawn Marion, Nowitzki added: "I like where we're at. I think we made some good moves this summer. Now we've just got to give it some time so we can grow together."

Cuban on Friday described Nowitzki's international break as a non-issue, saying that "Dirk and I are good with everything."

Yet in spite of his longtime backing of Nowitzki's national-team excursions, Cuban remains a very reluctant supporter of international tournaments in general, having railed for years against the risks absorbed by NBA teams when star players such as Nowitzki return to FIBA play, where more physical contact is frequently allowed by referees.

Injuries suffered on international duty this month by San Antonio's Tony Parker (France) and the Los Angeles Lakers' Pau Gasol (Spain) have generated renewed concern about those risks. But Cuban's more recent frustration is tied to summer-league ball, after FIBA blocked players under contract with international clubs from participating in summer play in Orlando and Las Vegas without written consent from their overseas clubs.

Nick Calathes, selected No. 45 overall in June by Minnesota and dealt to the Mavericks on draft night, flew to Dallas in July to join the Mavericks summer-league squad, only to learn that the Greek club (Panathinaikos) he is contracted to play for in 2009-10 would not give him clearance. Calathes ultimately couldn't even practice with the Mavs.

"Dirk and I agreed last year after his Olympic run, which was his dream for Germany, that he would take a year off," Cuban said. "He has the option of returning after this year if that is what he wants to do. Hopefully, instead, the NBA will return the favor to FIBA in the use of our players that FIBA gave to us in summer league."

In announcing to the German media that Nowitzki would not be playing in Poland, federation president Ingo Weiss told reporters that "we accept this decision completely," describing his organization's relationship with the Mavericks as "excellent and reliable."

Nowitzki said he and Mavericks assistant athletic trainer Dionne Calhoun will instead travel to South Africa in early September with Orlando's Dwight Howard and other NBA players as part of the league's Basketball Without Borders program.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=4398590

Cherry
03-11-2010, 09:46 AM
No argentinian in his right mind who had watched basketball before 2002 thinks that Manu owes something to NT.

and...

On july 1 he owes nothing to the Spurs.
Manu loves to play in NT. There´s nothing we can do :lol
I know that Manu wants that little WC trophy in his hands. If he can, he goes for it.

Anyway, he will be a daddy this summer and need a new contract.

ElNono
03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next CBA. I'm sure most owners rather have their multi-million dollar players not getting tired and fatigued by playing competitively in the summer and it looks like owners will be having a lot of say.

What I'm trying to point out is that the arrangement is between the owners and Stern. I don't think the CBA has much if anything to do with it.

Anyway, that rule you're talking about has been interesting to me since Dirk and Mark Cuban came to a mutual agreement about not playing for Germany. I'm not sure if thats a violation of that rule but hopefully Manu does the same for the Spurs and Buford.

If Dirk has a change of heart tomorrow, there's nothing Cuban could do other than trade Dirk's ass out of Dallas. Each player has different ideas when it comes to playing for their NT. Plenty of American players didn't feel the need to play for Team USA for the longest time.
Every player is different, and that's basically that.

DAF86
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
If the Spurs want to have a chance at beign a contender team next season they have no option other than resigning Manu, they have no chance of getting another decent NBA player with their cap situation. IMO what the Spurs do with Manu will determine if the wave the flag or not for next season.

Budkin
03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
No doubt he gets it at this point.

ChumpDumper
03-11-2010, 10:34 AM
No doubt he gets it at this point.I think there is plenty of doubt. I also think the Spurs are waiting to see how Manu performs the entire year as well just how much the cap is going to fall. They also kind of need to predict how a multiyear Manu deal will look in the new salary structure that will come in the new CBA.

Manu's individual price just recently went up, but all free agent prices are going down overall, probably including Manu's, so it's not completely cut and dry at this point.

Mel_13
03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
What I'm trying to point out is that the arrangement is between the owners and Stern. I don't think the CBA has much if anything to do with it..

The CBA has everything do with it. The CBA specifically protects the rights of NBA players to participate in international FIBA competitions. Along with everything else in the CBA, it will be subject to negotiation in a future CBA.

From the 2005 CBA, Article XXIII, Section 3(a):

Off-Season Basketball Events.
No player may play in any public off-season basketball game, summer league (e.g., Southern California Pro League or the Rocky Mountain Revue Summer League), or public exhibition or competition of basketball skills (e.g., a slam dunk contest or a “tour” organized by an NBA business partner) (each a “Basketball Event”) unless such Basketball Event is approved in writing by the NBA and complies with the terms and conditions of this Section 3.

Then later in a discussion of the terms and conditions:

For purposes of this Section 3, off-season games in which an NBA player participates on behalf of his national basketball federation as part of an international FIBA competition (e.g., the Olympics and World Championships), and the preparatory Exhibition games in connection therewith, are excluded from the definition of “Basketball Event;” provided, however, that such exclusion shall not apply to any preparatory Exhibition game (other than games involving the U.S. national team) played and/or telecast in the United States.

http://www.nbpa.org/sites/default/files/ARTICLE%20XXIII.pdf

So there it is. For those who ask "Why don't the owners do something about it?". The answer is that the right to participate in these events is incorporated into the CBA. Ownership can push for limitations in a future CBA but, as ElNono pointed out, corporate NBA/Stern sees these tournaments as a tool to grow the market for their product. Occasional injuries to key players may cause disproportionate damage to certain franchises, but that is viewed by the NBA as an acceptable cost of doing business.

ElNono
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
The CBA has everything do with it. The CBA specifically protects the rights of NBA players to participate in international FIBA competitions. Along with everything else in the CBA, it will be subject to negotiation in a future CBA.

From the 2005 CBA, Article XXIII, Section 3(a):

Off-Season Basketball Events.
No player may play in any public off-season basketball game, summer league (e.g., Southern California Pro League or the Rocky Mountain Revue Summer League), or public exhibition or competition of basketball skills (e.g., a slam dunk contest or a “tour” organized by an NBA business partner) (each a “Basketball Event”) unless such Basketball Event is approved in writing by the NBA and complies with the terms and conditions of this Section 3.

Then later in a discussion of the terms and conditions:

For purposes of this Section 3, off-season games in which an NBA player participates on behalf of his national basketball federation as part of an international FIBA competition (e.g., the Olympics and World Championships), and the preparatory Exhibition games in connection therewith, are excluded from the definition of “Basketball Event;” provided, however, that such exclusion shall not apply to any preparatory Exhibition game (other than games involving the U.S. national team) played and/or telecast in the United States.

http://www.nbpa.org/sites/default/files/ARTICLE%20XXIII.pdf

So there it is. For those who ask "Why don't the owners do something about it?". The answer is that the right to participate in these events is incorporated into the CBA. Ownership can push for limitations in a future CBA but, as ElNono pointed out, corporate NBA/Stern sees these tournaments as a tool to grow the market for their product. Occasional injuries to key players may cause disproportionate damage to certain franchises, but that is viewed by the NBA as an acceptable cost of doing business.

I stand corrected then, thank you. :toast

diego
03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
right now, manu has a better chance to win gold in the WC with the declining arg. NT than he does to win a ring with the declining spurs...

I agree with Urunobili that for Manu this is important, he definitely wants to have his last hurrah with the "gold generation" and this tournament is the last feather missing from his cap.

If the spurs press on that while another team doesnt, it could very well push manu to chose the other team's offer.

I still dont understand why people think not playing for the NT guarantees better health. If manu doesnt play for the NT and gets injured in preseason, does it make it less devastating? does the team lose less money? does the team get more capspace? its the exact same thing (in fact, as i understand it they lose less money if he gets injured for the NT than in preseason). Its just unreasonable to expect basketball players to not get injured. some people just need to blame someone...

PDXSpursFan
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately Ginobilli will be gone. There are too many teams with a lot of cap space and the Spurs is not one of them. One of those teams that fail to get LeBron, Wade, ect. will overpaid Ginobilli as a consolation prize.

dbreiden83080
03-11-2010, 12:37 PM

100% agree

Manu beat to shit 80% of the year because of that stuff, no thanks..

rascal
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I definitely didn't think he should get the extension a month ago, but he's clearly getting stronger as the season goes on and one again looks like the "old Manu" and not the "old" Manu. I had serious doubts as to whether he could ever become that player again after his very slow start, but he is there now. At this point you gotta extend him unless (1) he gets a nasty injury between now and the end of the season or (2) the team is going to be blown up.

So a few good games against some of the weaker teams in the league(yes Cleve was missing their top players) and you want to rush and sign him to the extension? The spurs should wait until near (another month) the end of the season, see how he looks then, then open up talks.

Manu will not be playing at this top form that we have seen the last few games for the next 2 or even 3 years which he will want, count on it.

You sign players for what they will give back in the future not what they have done in the past.

A verbal agreement between Manu and the Spurs needs to be considered regarding his future international play. If he decides to play the spurs need to take that into account in what they will offer him- which should be less than if he forgoes playing in the international tournamnets. The spurs need to make an incentive for manu to skip international play.

The spurs need a plan to shore up the frontline with some talent and without it even signing back Manu will make no difference.

DAF86
03-11-2010, 12:50 PM
right now, manu has a better chance to win gold in the WC with the declining arg. NT than he does to win a ring with the declining spurs...

I agree with Urunobili that for Manu this is important, he definitely wants to have his last hurrah with the "gold generation" and this tournament is the last feather missing from his cap.

If the spurs press on that while another team doesnt, it could very well push manu to chose the other team's offer.

I still dont understand why people think not playing for the NT guarantees better health. If manu doesnt play for the NT and gets injured in preseason, does it make it less devastating? does the team lose less money? does the team get more capspace? its the exact same thing (in fact, as i understand it they lose less money if he gets injured for the NT than in preseason). Its just unreasonable to expect basketball players to not get injured. some people just need to blame someone...

Disagreed, the Spurs have a lot more chances of beating the Lakers or Cavs than Argentina has of beating team US.

it's me
03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
The Spurs have to let him go…… that’s the most convenient situation for all parties involved….. Manu goes to a team where he can compete and has a chance to play for his NT, The Spurs open up space to develop new blood and start rebuilding right away (they aren’t winning shit anyways with what they’ve got) and Spurstalk get rid off the CoM and a bunch of blind homers….. it’s a win-win-win situation.

in2deep
03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Disagreed, the Spurs have a lot more chances of beating the Lakers or Cavs than Argentina has of beating team US.

phxspurfan
03-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Manu has already shown his distrust in the Spurs FO with many public comments this season. He is very valuable to this team but with the way our 4th Banana has performed, we don't really have a shot at winning a ring in the next 2 years, even if the Big 3 are healthy.

Option 1. Sell High
The best case as I see it is to sign and trade him for a few young prospects and move on. We know, after his big heat performances of late, some team will want him, even at 33 with (at max) 3 years left of good basketball. In return for those 3 good years we can probably get a package like 2 young wings and a pick or two. I'd say that's good enough of a sendoff and not disrespectful at all, if we just let him know in advance that the signing is to increase his trade value (by signing him for something not 15m/season).

Option 2. Sign and not trade
Of course the FO could just grovel on their hands and knees and ask for his forgiveness and willingness to take less than the market will offer him. But you know his agent is whispering in his other ear all his other options so this has, at best, a 50-60% shot at retaining him (at reasonable salary levels, aka not 15m/season).

Option 3. Let him walk
Who cares right? No one else on the Spurs this season care, including the players and their coach. That much has been proven. So let him walk and save Holt some of the money that he spent this season in vain. I kinda feel sorry for the owner, as we had the setup and Pop screwed it up -- along with injuries.

jb4g
03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Regardless of his contract status I dont see Manu playing for his NT anyways. He understands the toll on his body playing all summer, and with a family on the way I think he will realize he has to protect his body to earn that check. With TP out Manu will have heavy minutes for the rest of the year, if he gets through that healthy and playing the way he is....Spurs will simply have no choice but to try and resign him. The other problem is some team with money to burn is going to get left out of the Bron/Bosh/Wade sweepstakes, and may make a crazy offer to Manu. It may not be the dollars per year, but the length. I dont see our FO wanting to go more than 2 maybe 3 years, what if someone else offers him 4......going to be very tough for him to turn that down knowing its his last contract.

urunobili
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM

CROFL US won't take Kobe and probably Wade and Lebron neither... I would say ARG has a VERY strong chance to make it to the Finals... especially if Gasol is not playing for Spain either :wakeup

DAF86
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
CROFL US won't take Kobe and probably Wade and Lebron neither... I would say ARG has a VERY strong chance to make it to the Finals... especially if Gasol is not playing for Spain either :wakeup

I didn't know that. If that's the case then yes, our chances improve dramatically.

spurs10
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
To anyone saying we should get rid of Manu, for any reason, I say this...watch the &%*&game!

diego
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I didn't know that. If that's the case then yes, our chances improve dramatically.

regardless of who plays, its easier to pull an upset in single elimination than in a 7 game series.

as for the teams, the arg NT has lost depth, but scola and delfino have improved since 04.

meanwhile, the spurs have lost depth, and on top of that duncan and manu have declined since 07.

the US is still not a cohesive team. in that sense, they are still beatable. the problem is that argentina isnt as good as they used to be collectively, minimizing that advantage we had over them. if its just talent, athleticism, and skill, the US always has and will be better than us.

its not a good chance to win the WC, but unless the spurs make moves (or the youngsters signifcantly improve), its better odds than the spurs' championship odds.

OldSilentHill
03-11-2010, 06:40 PM
The truth is that is Manu´s call.

If he wants to play for the NT but still wants to get well paid under NBA standard, he can do it. If Spurs doesn´t want to resing him if he plays for NT, another team will do it.

They can have an agreement: for example FO offers 24 millions / 3 years for not playing the NT and Manu answers "give me 18 mil / 3 years and I´ll play for my NT to win the only important award left I really care, the WC". If Spurs says no, probably Manu signs with another team.

He is having twins, I now, but its only 2 weeks. But the twins...mmm, thinking clearly, the desicion is on HIS WIFE !!

I mean, really, have you ever tought about it? She is carring the twins, she decides if she wants to move or not from San Antonio (she probably has a lot of friends).

In the end, we realize we never had the power :lol

DesignatedT
03-11-2010, 07:00 PM
manu isnt going anywhere. give up this foolishness

raspsa
03-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Manu is the chillies/spices in the Spurs recipe.. without him they're flat and tasteless.

barbacoataco
03-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Manu is the chillies/spices in the Spurs recipe.. without him they're flat and tasteless.

Yeah, without Ginobili the Spurs would be very average.

MannyIsGod
03-11-2010, 11:05 PM
The days of Argentine Gold Medals in basketball are over with or without Manu.

all_heart
03-12-2010, 02:24 AM
So a few good games against some of the weaker teams in the league(yes Cleve was missing their top players) and you want to rush and sign him to the extension? The spurs should wait until near (another month) the end of the season, see how he looks then, then open up talks.

Manu will not be playing at this top form that we have seen the last few games for the next 2 or even 3 years which he will want, count on it.

You sign players for what they will give back in the future not what they have done in the past.

A verbal agreement between Manu and the Spurs needs to be considered regarding his future international play. If he decides to play the spurs need to take that into account in what they will offer him- which should be less than if he forgoes playing in the international tournamnets. The spurs need to make an incentive for manu to skip international play.

The spurs need a plan to shore up the frontline with some talent and without it even signing back Manu will make no difference.

gotta agree 100%. It's too early to resign him, let's see how April goes. I don't think he'll play this summer, he's having a family, and he'll lower his value big time if he gets hurt again. You hit the nail on the head with shoring up the front line, Timmy needs help if not a quality big man he can hand over the reigns to. Trading TP this summer may be the only way to do it. In the process if they can get a traditional PG to run the offense it may be better for RJ and the others who need to be spoon fed their offense. Don't get me wrong, I like TP, but he's the only player the Spurs can trade for and get something of value back in return.. although he's damaged goods right now.:(

kuato
03-12-2010, 06:33 AM
The days of Argentine Gold Medals in basketball are over with or without Manu.

Cool ! i will put your phrase in my famous phrases folder, next to the phrase "Nobody can beat U.S.A. basketball team".

Cherry
03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
:lol

ElNono
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Update on this... according to Manu there has been conversations between the Spurs and his agent, but nothing concrete yet. He's thinks it's unlikely anything will be offered before season's end.

sammy
03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Manu is the energy player on the team! He makes everyone better with all of the intangibles steals, blocks, assists and shooting! He deserves to retire as a Spur! He is one of the key reasons of winning our championships and we owe him that he should retire as a Spur! I know it's a business as some will say, but come on there are some players that should be honored, Timmy, Manu and TP! He is keeping this team winning and plays with such intensity, competitiveness and the determination to win is why he should be resigned with an extension! Watching him against Cleveland and his refusal to lose even though others didn't show up on that game and too get so close shows how important he is to this team! I don't understand why the Spurs are waiting! He is the reason I go to the games and watch and if he's gone, I am done! Been a fan since Ice, but I forgave them when they let Iceman go and took me years before I came back, but I won't forgive again!

AFBlue
03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Update on this... according to Manu there has been conversations between the Spurs and his agent, but nothing concrete yet. He's thinks it's unlikely anything will be offered before season's end.

Source?

Not that I doubt this is true. It makes little sense for the Spurs to work out a deal when Manu is virtually at the highest point of value in years. They'll see how the rest of the season and post-season shakes out before entering into serious negotiations.

IIRC they've got until 1 July to work out an extension, which gives them a half a month at least (17 June is Game 7 of NBA Finals if necessary)...likely more.

ElNono
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Source?

Not that I doubt this is true. It makes little sense for the Spurs to work out a deal when Manu is virtually at the highest point of value in years. They'll see how the rest of the season and post-season shakes out before entering into serious negotiations.

IIRC they've got until 1 July to work out an extension, which gives them a half a month at least (17 June is Game 7 of NBA Finals if necessary)...likely more.

It will be on the english section of his site hopefully soon. Considering how delicate is the whole contractual situation, I told the webmaster to please have Manu review the translation before posting it on the site. Last I want is some kind of misunderstanding. But it should be there shortly.

ElNono
03-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Plus there's always the possibility of an injury... hope not, and knock on wood, and all that. But the Spurs really are in no hurry.

Mel_13
03-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Herb Rudoy, Manu Ginobili's agent, said that he and the Spurs are "definitely talking," though the conversations are "informal". about 7 hours ago via web

http://twitter.com/alvaronbamartin

Muser
03-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Good to hear they are talking, Manu has proved he can still play at a high level. Extend him for 2/3 years.

Johnny RIngo
03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Herb Rudoy, Manu Ginobili's agent, said that he and the Spurs are "definitely talking," though the conversations are "informal". about 7 hours ago via web

http://twitter.com/alvaronbamartin

Informal? So they've only talked over the phone then. Spurs FO is probably going to wait till season's end to evaluate where to go with this team.

santymrc
03-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Lack of respect from Spurs FO. Manu has the ball in his hands now, and nobody knows what's going to do next. Deja - Vu hum?

MaNuMaNiAc
03-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Cool ! i will put your phrase in my famous phrases folder, next to the phrase "Nobody can beat U.S.A. basketball team".

well, I don't know about it being over, but we're certainly not winning shit this summer. With or without Manu.

santymrc
03-19-2010, 06:38 PM
well, I don't know about it being over, but we're certainly not winning shit this summer. With or without Manu.

Ain't over 'till its over. Its in your avatar. Believe.

exstatic
03-19-2010, 06:53 PM
How I see it Ginobili is back to his allstar caliber. Now that Tony is out for a while, and will have only a few games before the playoffs, i think this maybe the last year we see the big three together. If we dont sign Manu now, some team will offer him a lot more than the Spurs will, and that will be the end of the Big Three and any hope for another championship. Granted we have two good players in Hill and Blair, and a bust in RJ, we need the big three to actually contend in the playoffs. What do you guy think?

I think you'd be "the mark" at any poker table you sat down at.

smeagol
03-19-2010, 07:01 PM
"Mi próximo equipo no creo que esté contento con que juegue el Mundial"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aún sin el futuro resuelto, Manu Ginóbili insistió con su situación contractual; "San Antonio tiene un lugar en mi corazón, pero tengo que estar dispuesto a armar los bolsos", reconoció el bahiense, que en junio podría definir si juega o no en Turquía con el seleccionado argentino
18 de Marzo de 2010 - 16:34

MIAMI (dpa).- En medio de su gran momento en la NBA -acumula un promedio de 29 minutos y 19 puntos por partido en marzo, su mejor mes-, Emanuel Ginóbili tiene en su cabeza el nacimiento de sus dos primeros hijos, el asunto de la renovación del contrato con los Spurs y su eventual presencia en el Mundial de Turquía.

Como había hecho en su columna en LA NACION, Manu volvió a referirse al tema. "Mis hijos ya llegan en mitad de mayo, es un momento único y me gustaría disfrutarlo", dijo durante una entrevista con la agencia alemana dpa el mejor basquetbolista argentino, héroe del oro olímpico en Atenas 2004 ganador de tres títulos de la NBA.

A Ginóbili le "encantaría" jugar el Mundial de Turquía en agosto, pero debe esperar por los requerimientos de un nuevo contrato -posiblemente en un nuevo equipo- y la decisión que tomará por una suma de factores.

-Al finalizar la temporada vence su contrato con los Spurs. ¿Qué factores tomará en cuenta para su nuevo contrato?

-Todos. Ese posiblemente vaya a ser mi último contrato, el último lugar donde vaya a jugar y es muy importante para mí y mi familia, así que cuando llegue julio me sentaré con mi mujer y evaluaré todas las posibilidades y veré cuál es el mejor lugar para seguir mi carrera.

-¿Y no existe alguna sentimiento especial por los Spurs, equipo con el que conquistó tres anillos de campeón?

-Obviamente, obviamente. San Antonio fue y es mi casa por los últimos ocho años. Seguro que mi corazón es importante y tiene un lugar allí en San Antonio. Pero nosotros somos atletas y tenemos que estar dispuestos a armar los bolsos e ir al próximo lugar. Así que tengo que hacerme en la cabeza que por ahí pueda suceder.

-El Mundial en Turquía está en el horizonte y usted sería una pieza clave en las aspiraciones de Argentina. ¿Tiene alguna definición al respecto?

-Este año es complicado. A mi encantaría jugar nte la paso muy bien y se trata de un Mundial. El asunto es que está el tema del contrato. Mi próximo equipo no creo que esté muy contento que juegue con las lesiones que he tenido.

-¿Hay otras razones?

-Mi cuerpo no es el mismo de hace años y lo más importante, que lo dejé para lo último, que es la llegada de mis hijos, porque voy a ser a ser padre por primera vez, así que es un detalle no menor y me gustaría dedicarles mucho tiempo. Mis hijos ya llegan en mitad de mayo, es un momento único y me gustaría disfrutarlo también.

smeagol
03-19-2010, 07:04 PM
More of the same. He would like to stay in SA but he is "a professional athlete and has to ready to pack his bags and move to a different place"

G-Dawgg
03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
The way he's been playing.. he's as good as gone. Every team in the NBA must be licking their chops waiting for him to become a free agent..

WESTACKED
03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Manu would be an excellent signing if he accepts a 3-yr deal worth about 19-20 million with the third year partially guaranteed (like stackhouse's)

WESTACKED
03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
no way would he get the same much salary on new contract as how much he currently gets paid.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Jesus Golden State utterly sucks

EDIT: Wrong thread

TMTTRIO
03-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Well at this point I can see Manu wanting to play the rest of the season and see what's available during FA instead of just signing an extension. If he continues to play well like he has he will get a lot of interest.

ducks
03-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Well at this point I can see Manu wanting to play the rest of the season and see what's available during FA instead of just signing an extension. If he continues to play well like he has he will get a lot of interest.

A BIG IF
if he is lucky spurs do not play tell june he might stay healthy in the playoffs

santymrc
03-20-2010, 12:36 AM
A BIG IF
if he is lucky spurs do not play tell june he might stay healthy in the playoffs

Do you have a chat with a month?
Can you at least run a google translation before you post?

kaji157
03-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Truth is, the spurs had manu at a very cheap price for a lot of year in exchange that he could play for his NT. When he signed that deal, there was a understanding that he would play Olympics and WC with Argentina. If the Spurs want him to continue with them they have two chances.
1. Underpay him a little and agree he will continue playing for argentina.
2. Pay him his market value in exchage for him quitting.

In resume, if the Spurs want Manu to skip all international competitions from now on, they will have to pay him hard. Because if another team wants him, they likely agree on risking manu to play in the NT, and if Manu is not injuried, then all the Spurs fans will destroy de FO.

raspsa
03-20-2010, 06:36 AM
If Manu stays healthy, he could very well be the missing piece that many other teams are looking for. A great role model for young players to emulate, a terrific leader in crunch situations. I hope the Spurs do the right thing. TD needs to have Manu by his side til he hangs up his sneakers.

WalterBenitez
03-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Manu should play with ARG in WC, later resume his NBA career in whatever team not named HOU, MAVs, LAL ..

BillMc
03-20-2010, 06:39 AM
If Manu stays healthy, he could very well be the missing piece that many other teams are looking for. A great role model for young players to emulate, a terrific leader in crunch situations. I hope the Spurs do the right thing. TD needs to have Manu by his side til he hangs up his sneakers.

Agreed. But not only TD, Manu has become the emotional leader of the team (Tim leads by example and professionalism but is not vocal) as well as its main playmaker. The loss of Manu would also affect Hill, Blair and Jefferson apparently.

Re-sign Manu! Re-sign Manu!

silverblackfan
03-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Man I hope they are working out the details on this extension. He is waaaay too popular and good for this team.

waly.mg
03-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Manu would be an excellent signing if he accepts a 3-yr deal worth about 19-20 million with the third year partially guaranteed (like stackhouse's)

Manu isn´t going to sign a contract like this
The Manu´s contract is going to be, 3 years + 20 millions, with a 3 year player option, because the 2011/12 is the last year of TD´s Contract
Probably if the contract is small, less than 10 millions, with a TK or a no Trade clause.

rascal
03-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Manu means little if the spurs cannot upgrade the frontline. Manu will not get the spurs a title if they continue trotting out Bonner and McDyess or players similar in talent on the frontline.

If the Manu signing puts the clamps on being able to upgrade the frontline then it is a no win situation.

DAF86
03-20-2010, 12:25 PM
If the Manu signing puts the clamps on being able to upgrade the frontline then it is a no win situation.

No matter if the Spurs resign Manu or not, they won't be able to offer anything other than the MLE to any free agent that didn't play with them this season.