PDA

View Full Version : UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones March 21, On Versus

dbreiden83080
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM
http://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/post-images/ufc_versus_1_poster.jpg

This is really a heck of a nice card, we are getting on regular TV, some great fights here...

Main Card

Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Jon Jones
Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello
Middleweight bout: Alessio Sakara vs. James Irvin

Preliminary Card

Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty
Light Heavyweight bout: Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
Welterweight bout: John Howard vs. Daniel Roberts[1]
Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs. Chase Gormley
Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs. Julio Paulino
Light Heavyweight bout: Eric Schafer vs. Jason Brilz

Countdown show is on UFC.com...

CubanSucks
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
SANDMAN! Main fight looks amazing, too bad I don't have versus

Rip-Hamilton32
03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
wooo i want Jon Jones to win but i also don't want Vera to lose and get the boot
Jones
Junior
Kongo
Irvin
Clay

Stringer_Bell
03-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Looking forward to this card, I bet if Rich Franklin or Randy were available for a main event they would put this as a PPV.

Main Card

- I don't like Jones since he fucked up Hamil, but I don't think Vera can handle the "unorthodox" style he's going to face for 3 full rounds. Jones is an exciting fighter, but I think Vera will work him until he gets caught.
- KTFO by Junior.
Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongovs. Paul Buentello
- I know I will probably lose this prediction, but I'm a fan of Buentello and I'd like to see him take this one because he's still got some great heart.
- Ring rust for Irvin says Sakara wins.

Preliminary Card
- This could be a tricky match if Clay's not watching for submissions.
- Pierce is my new Terry Etim, the guy that's fighting in Prelims that deserves Main Card status.

dallaskd
03-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Technique
03-11-2010, 08:00 PM
no more spike tv for ufc ever?

dbreiden83080
03-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Still on Spike..

Stringer_Bell
03-11-2010, 09:40 PM

It'll alternate I think, 4 times a year it'll be on Versus and UFC Fight nights will be on Spike. It's probably to help viewership in exchange for WEC trying to go to PPV.

tlongII
03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
DirecTV doesn't carry Versus. Fuck!

dbreiden83080
03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
If Jones walks through Vera, he is going to be LHW champ real soon..

polandprzem
03-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Main Card

Preliminary Card

The TroutBum
03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Main Card

I love Vera, and hope he wins, but Jones is a beast -- I love watching him fight.
LOL @ Gonzaga
Kongo is utter rubbish.
Irvin is still around? I thought he retired years ago... W/E, Sakara is a bitch.

Preliminary Card

Lightweight bout: Clay Guidavs. Shannon Gugerty
ANYONE but Guida. Hate that shit dick.
WTF, I thought Vlad retired years ago too...
Please, oh please, let Chase win.

CubanSucks
03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/post-images/ufc_versus_1_poster.jpg

This is really a heck of a nice card, we are getting on regular TV, some great fights here...

Main Card

Preliminary Card

Countdown show is on UFC.com...

Oh shit, I didn't even notice Brendan "hybrid :lol" Schaub. Don't even know who Chase Gormley is but imma be rooting for him harder than anyone else

djohn14
03-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Jon Jones--Jon Jones needs some Pepto Bismol because he is the Shit! Hes right up there with Thiago Alves and Anderson Silva for my favorite fighter!

Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga--Good fight from the looks of it...But Dos Santos is pretty awesome!

Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello--Should be a nice little KO here

Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty --Really? Duh!

Welterweight bout: John Howard vs. Daniel Roberts--I really like Howard

polandprzem
03-14-2010, 06:21 AM
As I assume we need to predict all the main card plus the last from the under

Stringer_Bell
03-14-2010, 11:40 AM

I have no idea, but for this particular card that is probably what's best.

desflood
03-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Main Card

Preliminary Card

dbreiden83080
03-18-2010, 03:43 PM

pick whatever you want, policing this is not really working.. Just do any 5.. But i am always going main card, and refuse to wimp out.. :lol

polandprzem
03-19-2010, 04:26 AM
pick whatever you want, policing this is not really working.. Just do any 5.. But i am always going main card, and refuse to wimp out.. :lol

So why was the whole debate about it?

:shootme

dbreiden83080
03-19-2010, 12:08 PM
So why was the whole debate about it?

:shootme

Attempt at rules that went nowhere.. IMO though only chickens pick more than 1 fight on the undercard..

cornbread
03-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Man, I really wanted to go this event but am too poor at the moment. :depressed

djohn14
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Jon jones!!!!!!!!!

djohn14
03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Dammit! I thought this was tonight!

polandprzem
03-20-2010, 10:50 AM
:lol

it will be at 2am - I will be at work that time.
And I will be able to watch it.

dbreiden83080
03-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Dammit! I thought this was tonight!

Me too what's with this UFC Sunday night crap??

Saturday is the night for UFC

Sunday.. :nope

dbreiden83080
03-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Vera to capitalize on Jones' ‘inexperience’

MANILA, Philippines – Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight contender Brandon Vera sees only one weakness in Jon “Bones” Jones’ game, and he plans to capitalize on it when they clash in the Octagon on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) in UFC Live: Vera vs Jones.

“We've been studying for a while, and his biggest weakness is his inexperience,” said the 32-year-old Filipino American in UFC.com. “That's the only X factor in this game.”

The light heavyweight match, the main header of this weekend’s UFC wars, is set to take place in Broomfield, Colorado.

Vera said Jones’ other weaknesses are only likely to surface at the heat of their match up.

“Everything else, he's almost like a seasoned vet, so we're going to try to look for holes and exploit them,” he said.

Vera, known in the MMA circuit as “The Truth”, already has 11 wins in his belt. He has only suffered 4 losses, 3 of them in very close fights, and 1 in a controversial stoppage.

Jones, on the other hand, has streaked to 9 wins before suffering a loss by disqualification. He was struck out for hitting Matt Hamill at The Ultimate Fighter® Heavyweights FINALE for illegal elbow strikes while on full mount.

Vera said the New York-based Jones would have to watch out for his knees and roundhouse kicks.

“Nobody kicks with the malicious intent that I do and he hasn’t gone against anybody whose Thai clinch is as good as mine. We’re both going to have to find out a lot about each other that night,” he said.

Jones, however, said he’d be using his unpredictability to stun the UFC veteran.

The 23-year-old fighter said he has fought different fights each time he enters the Octagon.

“Guys who study my fights, I try to give them an evolution, and they’ll see a totally different style in every fight,” he said. “So it’s kinda hard right now to predict what I’ll do in my next fight because every fight is very different and I’ll come back a completely different fighter for a completely different opponent.”

djohn14
03-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Me too what's with this UFC Sunday night crap??

Saturday is the night for UFC

Sunday.. :nope

For real!

cornbread
03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
These are tough fights to call. Don't blame me if I get them all wrong.

Jones
JDS
Buentello (I really just want to hear him say it one more time...Don't fear me, fear the consequences!)
Irvin
Guida

tlongII
03-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I just found out that Versus is back on DirecTV! WOOT!

cornbread
03-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Damn, apparently Bang got his leg snapped.

djohn14
03-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Sucky ending, but thats the way it had to be. That was a clean punch, and you cant just call a timeout. If they restarted that and Sakara ended up losing, that would have been some bull shit. So thats the call that had to be made.

dbreiden83080
03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Irvin Stoppage by punch to the eye

Buentello got the hell beat out of him..

dbreiden83080
03-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Dos Santos is

For Real!!!!!

tlongII
03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Dos Santos is

For Real!!!!!

Definitely. John Howard ain't too shabby either.

dbreiden83080
03-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Moment of truth for Brandon Vera,

lets see what he's got??

Probably gonna regret it, but last min change here, I'm taking Vera.. I'm sure he'll lose but what the hell??? I like the guy... :lol

Brandon Vera.

dbreiden83080
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
:lol

I knew i'd regret that one Jones is an animal

Vera never really took that next step in his career..

BlackSwordsMan
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
jones beat the shit out of him

BlackSwordsMan
03-21-2010, 09:51 PM
took two illegal upkicks and still beat his ass

dbreiden83080
03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
jones beat the shit out of him

He really did, Rashad is in Jackson's camp with Jones, and must fear this guy. I mean i actually think Jones would wreck Shad right now... He's that scary and talented

djohn14
03-21-2010, 10:19 PM
JON JONES JON JONES JON JONES....dont ever doubt him people! Great fight for Dos Santos....But back to Jones....that was a nasty elbow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stringer_Bell
03-21-2010, 10:25 PM
This will sound odd, but watching UFC on Versus and on a Sunday just didn't vibe well with me.

I was not expecting Buentello to be taken down so easily, he ate some NASTY knees to the body and elbows to the ass. I still don't think Kongo will make much noise, but he looked improved.

Dos Santos vs Carwin after Mir wins next weekend!

I fear for the people that fight Jones, he is a scary dude. Not to mention, Vera looked SICK and way too skinny compared to Jones, so I was concerned for his safety. Jones is a tricky son of a gun, I can't imagine whose career the UFC wants him to halt next. Randy?!? LOL, that'd be crew but VERY interesting since even if Randy wins his next fight he doesn't deserve a title shot after the Shad/Rampage winner. Make Jones vs Randy and see if the master of strategy can handle it.

EDIT: This was the first time in a long time where I watched a card and thought, 'Damn, someone could get hurt." It goes back to that weird vibe I noted above, I dunno, like tonight's matches were dangerous for some reason.

Rip-Hamilton32
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Jonny Bones Jones is my new favorite fighter

djohn14
03-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Jon Jones and his long ass arms are a force to be reckoned with!

The TroutBum
03-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Jones Vs. Machida -- make it happen.

Rip-Hamilton32
03-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Des went 5-0 on this card and a lot of us went 4-1 with our picks :toast

tlongII
03-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I think Jones could beat Machida or Anderson Silva. Right now.

cornbread
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Jonny Bones Jones is my new favorite fighter

He's go to be one of the most exciting guys to watch. JDS is pretty f-ing exciting to watch too. The next generation is looking good.

dbreiden83080
03-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I fear for the people that fight Jones, he is a scary dude. Not to mention, Vera looked SICK and way too skinny compared to Jones, so I was concerned for his safety. Jones is a tricky son of a gun, I can't imagine whose career the UFC wants him to halt next. Randy?!? LOL, that'd be crew but VERY interesting since even if Randy wins his next fight he doesn't deserve a title shot after the Shad/Rampage winner. Make Jones vs Randy and see if the master of strategy can handle it.

Good thoughts Stringer..:toast

I really don't think Randy could do much with Jones. Heck i don't think Randy in his prime would beat him honestly. And that's not slamming Randy, it's just being real about Jones.. The kid is amazingly athletic and his wrestling is looking sicker every time he fights. He tossed Hammill down like a rag-doll. Vera has good wrestling and he toyed with him.. He is strong, lanky and incredibly explosive. Randy can't strike with him and he is not going to put Jones in the clinch for large portions of rounds and get away with it. I actually think Jones would take Randy out, very confident in saying that.. This dude may be LHW champ for years to come. I said going in if he walks through Vera, he'll be champ real soon

Well he walked through him..

dbreiden83080
03-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Thoughts on Gonzaga

Damn he is just never gonna take that next step. Every time this guy steps up in class he gets served.. Randy, Carwin, now Dos-Santos. When he steps up in class not only does he lose but he usually gets beat bad.. Lots of talent but he clearly is just not going to be a consistant elite HW..

Rip-Hamilton32
03-21-2010, 11:29 PM
do you guys think Jones is better for LHW or MW he has done really well at 205 but he looks like he could easily make 185 as well

dbreiden83080
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
do you guys think Jones is better for LHW or MW he has done really well at 205 but he looks like he could easily make 185 as well

He's 6'4 so i say LHW. As he gets older 185 would be rough for him. And why drop when you are dessimating foes in the heavier, better weight class?? 205 is the most stacked class in MMA and he has what it takes to rule it for years..

TheTruth
03-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Man, what was with all the fouling last night? Still a pretty good night of fights.

Bones Jones is the real deal. Fouled two times, and he still dominates what I still think is an elite talent in Vera. Philippines! :-(

Dos Santos looked GOOOOOOD. Only one real take down, and he stuffed it pretty well. Him and Velasquez needs to happen very very soon. Maybe put it on the same card as the Brock vs Mir/Carwin fight. Winner gets a title shot.

Man Kongo looks good against average opponents. Too bad he looks so bad against elite ones.

Tough way for the Irvin/Saka fight to end. Was starting to get exciting.

Bullet Tooth Tony
03-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Dos Santos vs Carwin after Mir wins next weekend!

Dont forget about Cain

djohn14
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Jones Vs. Machida -- make it happen.Id love to see it, but you cant give Jones a title shot after beating Brandon Vera.

djohn14
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Dont forget about Cain

I think Cain would beat Dos Santos and Carwin

djohn14
03-22-2010, 10:17 AM

Hey now!!! I went 5-0 too!

dbreiden83080
03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I think Cain would beat Dos Santos and Carwin

2 great fights there, Dos-Santos has maybe the best striking in the division..

Stringer_Bell
03-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Dont forget about Cain

I already assumed Cain would fight Brock before the heavyweight belts are united. I think that'd be the fairest thing to do, since Cain let his ego go and took whatever fight they gave him after the Carwin/Cain match fell through. This way, if Cain AND Carwin won belts, then we'd get to see that match and everyone would be happy. :king

Likewise, Randy MUST fight Jones at this point. Randy is to Jones what Big Nog was to Cain...the matchmakers better be all over it because if Randy gets the Machida/Shogun winner I feel it's not as exciting as a Jones/Randy fight. Make matches for the people, if Randy is meant to win the LHW title he will at somepoint need to fight Jones - so let's do it now! :downspin:

desflood
03-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh shit, really? That's awesome. I haven't seen it yet. :lol

desflood
03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Lots of fallout from last night:

UFC on Versus Injuries: Brandon Vera suffered three broken facial bones from the elbow he took, and Duane Ludwig suffered a 'severe' break to his ankle which will likely require surgery.

Dana White has also stated that James Irvin will not be allowed to fight at 185 in the UFC again, as the large weight cut is obviously a danger to him.

Bullet Tooth Tony
03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I already assumed Cain would fight Brock before the heavyweight belts are united. I think that'd be the fairest thing to do, since Cain let his ego go and took whatever fight they gave him after the Carwin/Cain match fell through. This way, if Cain AND Carwin won belts, then we'd get to see that match and everyone would be happy. :king

Likewise, Randy MUST fight Jones at this point. Randy is to Jones what Big Nog was to Cain...the matchmakers better be all over it because if Randy gets the Machida/Shogun winner I feel it's not as exciting as a Jones/Randy fight. Make matches for the people, if Randy is meant to win the LHW title he will at somepoint need to fight Jones - so let's do it now! :downspin:

So you saying Brock at 100% would lose to Cain or is that wishfull thinking? I still dont think anyone can out muscle Brock if he gets them on the ground. The UFC HW div is pretty stacked right now and that unusual looking back only a few years at it. I do agree that Cain vs brock would be the right thing to do for a fight considering Dos Santos, Mir, and Carwin would have all just fought.

djohn14
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Lots of fallout from last night:

UFC on Versus Injuries: Brandon Vera suffered three broken facial bones from the elbow he took, and Duane Ludwig suffered a 'severe' break to his ankle which will likely require surgery.

Dana White has also stated that James Irvin will not be allowed to fight at 185 in the UFC again, as the large weight cut is obviously a danger to him.
DAMN!!!!!!!!! That one elbow broke 3 bones!!! Sucks for Vera, and thats terrible about what happened to Ludwig. Thats good on Danas part for not allowing that severe weight cut again.

dbreiden83080
03-22-2010, 11:42 AM
3 broken bones, does Jones have like a steal rod in there or something??

Irvin didn't to me look like he wanted to fight last night..

TheTruth
03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Watching it in slow mo was scary. That elbow had nothing in its way from face bones.

tlongII
03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
That elbow to Vera's face was brutal. You could tell the face bones were getting wrecked.

djohn14
03-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Maybe Im wrong, but Ive never seen a fight where someone gets crushed in the face and the dude screams and holds his face. That was amazing.

Stringer_Bell
03-22-2010, 12:28 PM
So you saying Brock at 100% would lose to Cain or is that wishfull thinking? I still dont think anyone can out muscle Brock if he gets them on the ground. The UFC HW div is pretty stacked right now and that unusual looking back only a few years at it. I do agree that Cain vs brock would be the right thing to do for a fight considering Dos Santos, Mir, and Carwin would have all just fought.

Nope, but if Cain did win and Carwin did win, we'd get to see that fight we missed out on. I love Cain, but hope Brock wins because I want their to be a dude that no one can touch that's a total ass kicking bully in the ring.

Maybe they should change Jon "Bones" Jones to Jon "Elbows" Jones? :lol
DID VERA NOT SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN JONES THROWS BOWS FROM THE TOP!?!?! Hope he recovers well.

djohn14
03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I want Cain to win...but I dont see Brock ever losing unless there is someone that can catch him in a submission ala Frank Mir.

tlongII
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
I just wish Fedor would step up and fight in UFC. Chickenshit Russian!

djohn14
03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
If anybody gets a pic of Veras face I would appreciate that

dallaskd
03-22-2010, 07:16 PM
James Irvin is still a fucking pussy..

The TroutBum
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
James Irvin is still a fucking pussy..

Co-Signed.

Man, I'm so bummed about Vera, he is one of my favorites. Anyone know what his status is as far as contract goes? After he lost, I said to my buddies, "He's done in the UFC." -- I actually have no idea, but isn't that 3 losses in a row? I see Strikeforce in his future.

Stringer_Bell
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Man, I'm so bummed about Vera, he is one of my favorites. Anyone know what his status is as far as contract goes? After he lost, I said to my buddies, "He's done in the UFC." -- I actually have no idea, but isn't that 3 losses in a row? I see Strikeforce in his future.

I think Vera works hard, but he isn't going anywhere in the UFC right now. I can't help but feel his frame and look at LHW is sickly, and he can't contend with Randy/Jones/Shogun/Lyoto/Rampage/Evans. He can't compete at HW either. Middleweight is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

He may be off to Strikeforce, but he's a hard worker that just hasn't "taken the next step" so to speak :p:

dbreiden83080
03-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I just wish Fedor would step up and fight in UFC!

Agreed...

desflood
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
but he's a hard worker that just hasn't "taken the next step" so to speak
Too bad. Lots of potential there.

cornbread
03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
If anybody gets a pic of Veras face I would appreciate that

Speaking of brutal pics, I saw a picture of Duane Ludwig during the fight. His foot was turned completely backwards.

ATRAIN
03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Just saw the main even yesterday and DAAAAMN Vera got hit fawkin HARD!!! Im glad that prick got his face smashed in.