PDA

View Full Version : Rocketsfans want Ginobili

Indazone
03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=183588

Assuming we resign Scola and Lowry, should we go after Manu Ginobili?

There are many factors that play into his decision to home to Houston:
1. Bad blood between the Spurs and him when they didn't offer him an extension because of his play in international ball.
2. Close to San Antonio
3. Playing with good friend and fellow countryman Luis Scola
4. Play for a championship contender

If we offer Manu the MLE and Camby the LLE I think this team can contend with the Lakers and any other Western Conference:

Brooks/Lowry
Martin/Manu/Budinger
Ariza/Battier
Scola/Hill
Yao/Camby

What you guys think

LOL this deal would have more Spurs/Rockets Karma written all over it. Since you gave us Scola for a bag of chips it only makes sense you guys give us Ginobili so we can have a matched set of Argies. :lol

DesignatedT
03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
that has always been the only destination i could see manu going to. especially if scola is still there.. but manu isn't going anywhere. + what could rockets offer? just mle. not enough

DAF86
03-11-2010, 08:06 PM
lol at that fan saying that Manu wouldn't get playing time because of Martin, Budinger, Ariza and Battier.

The only way Manu signs for the MLE is if he goes to either Cavs or Lakers (or any tier 1 contender at the moment of the signing) and is offered the full 5 years. Other way he will stay in San Antonio or will go for the money on a team that has the cap space.

monosylab1k
03-11-2010, 08:14 PM
lol at that fan saying that Manu wouldn't get playing time because of Martin, Budinger, Ariza and Battier.

The only way Manu signs for the MLE is if he goes to either Cavs or Lakers (or any tier 1 contender at the moment of the signing) and is offered the full 5 years. Other way he will stay in San Antonio or will go for the money on a team that has the cap space.

Maybe he can go to New Jersey to prove he can win more than 15 games in a season as the #1 option! boom roasted

monosylab1k
03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
btw what will all these manu knobslobbers do if he leaves the Spurs? cry and masturbate or get their Gestapo boots on and goose step to the bandwagon of the team he signs with?

boom roasted

Indazone
03-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Ginobili reunited with Scola...can you imagine the chemistry? They both know each others favorite spots and how to pass to each other. Damn!

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Manu is old and has injury problems. But still I am sure MLE is not enough for him.

BlackSwordsMan
03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
take him

angelbelow
03-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Manu has openly said that if he cannot return to the Spurs he wants to play with one of this teammates from Argentina.

So him signing with Houston isn't unrealistic IMO. It really just depends on the contract they offer him.

JamStone
03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
There are several teams that will strike out with the LeBron/Wade/Bosh bonanza that will have cap space to offer Ginobili more than the MLE. Scola would be one of the appeals to going to Houston, but what happens if a desperate team offers him considerably more than the MLE?

Indazone
03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Ginobili is only one of many possiblities. I think that Morey's prime target is still Chris Bosh.

DPG21920
03-11-2010, 09:39 PM
There are several teams that will strike out with the LeBron/Wade/Bosh bonanza that will have cap space to offer Ginobili more than the MLE. Scola would be one of the appeals to going to Houston, but what happens if a desperate team offers him considerably more than the MLE?

Why would they do that? Who offers serious money to someone Manu's age if it does not help you win now?

Short Round
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Indy, I love you! Wake up, Indy! You're my best friend! Wake up, Indy!

Cane
03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Money and location are definitely factors; but I think the number of years on his contract is what will mean the most if he moves away from SA. However if he stays healthy and stays in Vintage form he's gotta be resigned...the Spurs would've fallen apart without him this season.

For Houston I'd think they would try and sign a big man to help limit Yao's minutes and to be injury insurance.

hitmanyr2k
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Do you mean desperate as in mediocre? I think Ginobili is more about winning. I doubt he'd take more money to waste his last years on a bad/mediocre team...unless it's the Spurs lol.

The Franchise
03-11-2010, 10:29 PM

I read that Camby said he wouldn't mind signing with Houston since he lives there in the offseason. Now just imagine Scola convincing Manu to come play with him, and think about the squad we would have.

Yao/Camby
Scola/Hill
Ariza/Budinger/Battier
Martin/Ginobili
Brooks/Lowry

Is this team not a serious contender?

Hemotivo
03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
$$$

JamStone
03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Why would they do that? Who offers serious money to someone Manu's age if it does not help you win now?

Do you mean desperate as in mediocre? I think Ginobili is more about winning. I doubt he'd take more money to waste his last years on a bad/mediocre team...unless it's the Spurs lol.

Teams that might would be teams that would believe they adding Manu would help them win now. And Manu would have to be confident that one of those desperate teams would then become a very good team after adding him and other changes they make.

For example, say one of the teams that have enough cap space this summer for two max contracts, like New York or Chicago or New Jersey. Assume any of those three teams land a guy like Chris Bosh and still have enough money to give another pretty attractive offer up to the max. Then say they can't lure guys like LeBron, Wade, or Joe Johnson. They could turn to Manu.

Now granted they would have to overpay to lure him from San Antonio or from other teams that might be courting him. I mentioned this in another thread the other day, but I could see the Knicks offering Manu a contract big enough to at least tempt him. They have enough cap space to offer a max contract and give two other contracts starting at $8-10 million, so financially they could go after Bosh, re-sign David Lee, and still have enough to offer Manu something like a 4 year contract worth around $40 million with probably the fourth year partially guaranteed, something that should be significantly more than the MLE for 4 years and still more than even the MLE for 5 years. Again, they'd have to overpay to pry him away. And, D'antoni strikes me as someone who would be behind doing just that for Manu. Remember, in Phoenix he was on board with giving a then 30 year old Steve Nash a five year deal worth nearly the max. Now Manu is a couple years older, but I think D'antoni would still be on board with it. His style would be one that Manu could flourish in, and adding Bosh and keeping Lee might be enough to convince Manu that they could be players in the Eastern Conference. A reach sure, but if his next best offer is around the MLE, that may be enough.

Things would be similar with teams like Chicago or New Jersey and those teams have even more talent. Chicago could potentially have a starting line-up of Rose-Ginobili-Deng-Bosh-Noah. And New Jersey could add Bosh and him to Brook Lopez, Devin Harris, Courtney Lee and/or possibly a high draft pick like John Wall.

Now again, the difference in contract offer between what they propose and the MLE would have to be great enough for Manu and his agent to listen. And, he would have to be convinced that any of those teams would become legitimate contenders (at least to contend to win their conference) by adding him.

Lars
03-11-2010, 10:55 PM
We cant afford him unless its a sign and trade. Why would the Spurs do that?!

Bartleby
03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
For example, say one of the teams that have enough cap space this summer for two max contracts, like New York or Chicago or New Jersey. Assume any of those three teams land a guy like Chris Bosh and still have enough money to give another pretty attractive offer up to the max. Then say they can't lure guys like LeBron, Wade, or Joe Johnson. They could turn to Manu.

Of the teams you've mentioned I see NY as the most likely to make a run at Manu if they can't land LeBron, Wade or Johnson, especially considering how well Manu has played against D'Antoni's teams.

Spursfan092120
03-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Manu's going nowhere...

Rogue
03-11-2010, 11:22 PM
We cant afford him unless its a sign and trade. Why would the Spurs do that?!
move the fuck back to your lair you dumb cluster fuck.

Rogue
03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
it seems the Rockets ain't be satisfied with their current fragile level IMHO.

Lars
03-11-2010, 11:26 PM
move the fuck back to your lair you dumb cluster fuck.

Did you just suggest I had a lair and was a cluster fuck? :lol

ElNono
03-11-2010, 11:36 PM
btw what will all these manu knobslobbers do if he leaves the Spurs? cry and masturbate or get their Gestapo boots on and goose step to the bandwagon of the team he signs with?

boom roasted

They'll probably create a Manu Ginobili user to troll here in Spurstalk... you know, like that Anthony Randolph troll...

Darthkiller
03-12-2010, 12:22 AM
i can see him signing with the knicks after the knicks get either a lebron or wade. knicks will be going for a champioship next year, if manu brings it to ny, he will be worshipped.

DesignatedT
03-12-2010, 12:24 AM
imagine manu moving from san antonio to new york... i really dont see it happening.. .especially with his new baby coming this summer.... he doesnt want to go anywhere and if the spurs want him he will stay.. aslong as it takes them

Johnny RIngo
03-12-2010, 01:15 AM
i can see him signing with the knicks after the knicks get either a lebron or wade. knicks will be going for a champioship next year, if manu brings it to ny, he will be worshipped.

Don't know about that. The Knicks fans on this board seem to be split on Ginobili:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=993974

ffadicted
03-12-2010, 01:22 AM
I think Ginobili would fit in with D'Antoni perfectly, he's usually the most uptempo guy on the spurs and he has creating abilities that are similar to Nash in ways, as well as being able to play and pass well in transition.

FkLA
03-12-2010, 04:31 AM
Im just going to assume you Rocket fans are putting him as the second SG in your depth charts because he'd play a similar 6th man role like he does here in San Antonio, and not because you guys actually think Kevin Martin is better. Not going to happen though, Manu will stay put.

djohn2oo8
03-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Ginobili is only one of many possiblities. I think that Morey's prime target is still Chris Bosh.

And Joe Johnson recently said that he would sacrifice money to play for a team ready to win it now. Do you think he could play at SF? If he could, and Morey gets Bosh:wow

Brooks
Martin
Johnson
Bosh
Yao

Rogue
03-12-2010, 08:47 AM
And Joe Johnson recently said that he would sacrifice money to play for a team ready to win it now. Do you think he could play at SF? If he could, and Morey gets Bosh:wow

Brooks
Martin
Johnson
Bosh
Yao
4-man lineup? you're winded up brah?

Kai
03-12-2010, 11:18 AM

Brooks
Martin
Johnson
Bosh
Yao

I want what you're smoking.:hat

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-12-2010, 11:20 AM

Brooks
Martin
Johnson
Bosh
Yao

:lmao you are so fuckin stupid.

Trainwreck2100
03-12-2010, 12:07 PM

boom roasted

The argie/manufan posters showed their true colors a long time ago after the scola shit

Trainwreck2100
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM

theres two players i the spurs that i have always wondered how well they would do in the East, that's manu and duncan.

redzero
03-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Aren't Rockets fans tired of putting their stock into injury prone players?

DAF86
03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
The argie/manufan posters showed their true colors a long time ago after the scola shit

How come?