PDA

View Full Version : Trip advice and tips

Jacob1983
03-12-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm planning a trip to Niagara Falls probably in mid May. Any of you ever been to Niagara Falls? I talked to a travel agent about booking a trip but the price was too high. I was hoping that I could get a better deal from a travel agent than on Travelocity or Expedia but I was wrong. Travelocity and Expedia have good deals on flight/hotel packages. I did some pricing on the sites and I found like deals that only cost 900 or 1,000 bucks and that includes the flight and 5 night hotel stay. With the quote I got from the travel agent, I could save like between 400 and 500 dollars booking it on Travelocity or Expedia. My main problem is payment. I have a debit card. And I have a credit card but it only has a 200 dollar limit. If I wind up going to Niagara Falls, I wanted to rent a car so I could spend a day or two in Toronto. Are there any car rental companies that let you use a debit card as payment? I looked at some. Some say you have to have a credit card and then some say you can use a debit card but they have to run a credit check first. It makes me mad that you have to do all that trouble just to rent a car. And I really want to go to Toronto if I go to Niagara Falls. If I can't rent a car, then I would have to rely on public transportation and that would probably suck knowing my luck. Any of you ever rented a car in America but drove into Canada? Is that legal? And if you're flying, how much time do you want to connect and would you want to pick a busy airport for your connecting flight or an airport that isn't that busy? I haven't flown since 2004 so I'm kinda rusty to flying. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really scratching my head about trying to plan this trip. I have around 43 hours of vacation time at my work and I would really like to use them soon.

baseline bum
03-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Niagra Falls is really cool, but I don't see how anyone could spend more than a day there.

boutons_deux
03-12-2010, 09:38 AM
A day there? :lol

florige
03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Yeah they will let you use your debit card. But they hold ALOT more verses when you use a credit card. I think it is something like $500. You also have to have full coverage insurance or else you have to buy theirs which is normally like an extra $20 or so bucks a day.

CubanMustGo
03-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, the major rental companies will let you take your car into Canada. Make sure your private auto insurance covers you if you cross the border in a rental. If they do you should be able to get around the car rental insurance scam floridge talks about.

Usually allow an hour to connect and you'll be fine. Flying through Chicago or Dallas this time of year is no big deal.