PDA

View Full Version : Is the 1st Human to Live to 1,000 Alive Today?

phyzik
03-12-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2010/03/the-1st-human-to-live-to-1000-is-alive-today-a-galaxy-insight.html#more

Cambridge University geneticist Aubrey de Grey has famously stated, “The first person to live to be 1,000 years old is certainly alive today …whether they realize it or not, barring accidents and suicide, most people now 40 years or younger can expect to live for centuries.”

Perhaps de Gray is way too optimistic, but plenty of others have joined the search for a virtual fountain of youth. In fact, a growing number of scientists, doctors, geneticists and nanotech experts—many with impeccable academic credentials—are insisting that there is no hard reason why ageing can’t be dramatically slowed or prevented altogether. Not only is it theoretically possible, they argue, but a scientifically achievable goal that can and should be reached in time to benefit those alive today.

“I am working on immortality,” says Michael Rose, a professor of evolutionary biology at the University of California, Irvine, who has achieved breakthrough results extending the lives of fruit flies. “Twenty years ago the idea of postponing aging, let alone reversing it, was weird and off-the-wall. Today there are good reasons for thinking it is fundamentally possible.”

Even the US government finds the field sufficiently promising to fund some of the research. Federal funding for “the biology of ageing”, excluding work on ageing-specific diseases like heart failure and cancer – has been running at about $2.4 billion a year, according to the National Institute of Ageing, part of the National Institutes of Health.

So far, the most intriguing results have been spawned by the genetics labs of bigger universities, where anti-ageing scientists have found ways to extend live spans of a range of organisms—including mammals. But genetic research is not the only field that may hold the key to eternity.

“There are many, many different components of ageing and we are chipping away at all of them,” said Robert Freitas at the Institute for Molecular Manufacturing, a non-profit, nanotech group in Palo Alto, California. “It will take time and, if you put it in terms of the big developments of modern technology, say the telephone, we are still about 10 years off from Alexander Graham Bell shouting to his assistant through that first device. Still, in the near future, say the next two to four decades, the disease of ageing will be cured.”

But not everyone thinks ageing can or should be cured. Some say that humans weren’t meant to live forever, regardless of whether or not we actually can.

“I just don't think [immortality] is possible,” says Sherwin Nuland, a professor of surgery at the Yale School of Medicine. “Aubrey and the others who talk of greatly extending lifespan are oversimplifying the science and just don't understand the magnitude of the task. His plan will not succeed. Were it to do so, it would undermine what it means to be human.”

It’s interesting that Nuland first says he doesn’t think it will work but then adds that if it does, it will undermine humanity. So, which is it? Is it impossible, or are the skeptics just hoping it is?

After all, we already have overpopulation, global warming, limited resources and other issues to deal with, so why compound the problem by adding immortality into the mix.

But anti-ageing enthusiasts argue that as our perspectives change and science and technology advance exponentially, new solutions will emerge. Space colonization, for example, along with dramatically improved resource management, could resolve the concerns associated with long life. They reason that if the Universe goes on seemingly forever—much of it presumably unused—why not populate it?

However, anti-ageing crusaders are coming up against an increasingly influential alliance of bioconservatives who want to restrict research seeking to “unnaturally” prolong life. Some of these individuals were influential in persuading President Bush in 2001 to restrict federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. They oppose the idea of life extension and anti-ageing research on ethical, moral and ecological grounds.

Leon Kass, the former head of Bush's Council on Bioethics, insists that “the finitude of human life is a blessing for every human individual”. Bioethicist Daniel Callahan of the Garrison, New York-based Hastings Centre, agrees: “There is no known social good coming from the conquest of death.”

Maybe they’re right, but then why do we as humans strive so hard to prolong our lives in the first place? Maybe growing old, getting sick and dying is just a natural, inevitable part of the circle of life, and we may as well accept it.

"But it's not inevitable, that's the point," de Grey says. "At the moment, we're stuck with this awful fatalism that we're all going to get old and sick and die painful deaths. There are a 100,000 people dying each day from age-related diseases. We can stop this carnage. It's simply a matter of deciding that's what we should be doing."

One wonders what Methuselah would say about all this.

gatoloco
03-12-2010, 12:30 PM
well if social security wasn't fucked up enough before, its really screwed now.

Blake
03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I doubt anyone makes it to 1000.

Too many people getting stabbed by meat thermometers in movie theaters.

z0sa
03-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Nanomachines are the future of human life.

EmptyMan
03-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Dramatically slowing down the aging process is inevitable.

If the human mind can imagine it, it is only a matter of time before it is tangibly achieved.

EmptyMan
03-12-2010, 12:50 PM
oh and....

BYOE_b4aYD0

Spurminator
03-12-2010, 12:56 PM
We'll find some way to fuck it up.

mouse
03-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Some people will be out of a job.

http://blog.mlive.com/mid-michigan-business_impact/2009/08/large_JNS.BlacksFuneralHome.JPG

Cyrano
03-12-2010, 01:30 PM
That milestone has already been achieved many times over. Joan Collins has been estimated to be over 900,000 years old, thus disproving Mouse's theory of the earth's age.

balli
03-12-2010, 01:33 PM
We need to be looking at ways of eradicating the human population, not this.

in2deep
03-12-2010, 01:46 PM
planet Earth won't even make it to another 1000 years. Not even 100 IMO

DMX7
03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Some people will be out of a job.

http://blog.mlive.com/mid-michigan-business_impact/2009/08/large_JNS.BlacksFuneralHome.JPG

It's always the minorities that get screwed. Silly minorities.

doobs
03-12-2010, 01:50 PM
planet Earth won't even make it to another 1000 years. Not even 100 IMO

What do you base this on?

balli
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

AFBlue
03-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Didn't Abraham live for like 800 years?

JamStone
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I believe many of the people written about early in the Old Testament of the Bible supposedly lived 900+ years. Personally, I think whoever translated that section of the Bible did a poor job translating numbers or in ancient times, people couldn't count for shit.

Scola
03-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Don't think it will ever happen, forget about 1,000 years, people would be lucky to make it to 100. By the time most people reach 60 or 70 they're falling apart health-wise. Even at the 40s people are already going downhill at a pretty fast rate.

Bigzax
03-12-2010, 03:07 PM
back in the day the select few were transcendents and didn't eat processed foods...900 years was a piece of cake...figuratively speaking.

Suicidal Jack
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Why would people want to live that long? I don't even want to make it to 40. :depressed

Shaolin-Style
03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I've always dreamed of augmenting myself like the characters in Deus Ex and living a couple extra hundred of years.

Most immortal stories are about the immortals wanting to die though. I'm sure that'd happen to everyone eventually.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XySvs6zUWkU/SfHGg7RBhSI/AAAAAAAABb8/KGi-vCXWM4I/s400/death_becomes_her.jpg

Blake
03-12-2010, 03:14 PM
I believe many of the people written about early in the Old Testament of the Bible supposedly lived 900+ years. Personally, I think whoever translated that section of the Bible did a poor job translating numbers or in ancient times, people couldn't count for shit.

yeah, but the earth was created in 7 days.

TDMVPDPOY
03-12-2010, 03:21 PM
they need to solve memory loss first alzheimers...

phyzik
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Don't think it will ever happen, forget about 1,000 years, people would be lucky to make it to 100. By the time most people reach 60 or 70 they're falling apart health-wise. Even at the 40s people are already going downhill at a pretty fast rate.

Just a few hundred years ago, people where lucky to make it to 35 years of age.

Jekka
03-12-2010, 05:57 PM

When I went to scary Jesus camps as a kid, we were actually told that in the days of biblical yore the atmosphere had a thick layer of water that blocked out the UV, which is what enabled people to live for centuries. I wish I was kidding.

ShoogarBear
03-12-2010, 06:03 PM
I just hope it's not Bret Favre.

mouse
03-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Can you imagine how the birthday cakes will look with 999 candles?

According to the insurance companies the older you are the less you pay, if that is true then after your 200th birthday not only is your insurance free you receive a check for driving.

CubanSucks
03-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Did you even read anything? Don't you think the scientists took this into account before making these claims? :lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I've always dreamed of augmenting myself like the characters in Deus Ex and living a couple extra hundred of years.

Most immortal stories are about the immortals wanting to die though. I'm sure that'd happen to everyone eventually.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XySvs6zUWkU/SfHGg7RBhSI/AAAAAAAABb8/KGi-vCXWM4I/s400/death_becomes_her.jpg

That is such an incredible movie on several levels. Zemekis does a great job directing, bruce willis is hilarious, and meryl streep is meryl streep.

I love that fucking movie.

symple19
03-12-2010, 08:58 PM
ROFL at the eugenicists in this thread

sabar
03-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Dramatically slowing down the aging process is inevitable.

If the human mind can imagine it, it is only a matter of time before it is tangibly achieved.

Too bad you can still be murdered, crushed, impaled, electrocuted, and fall to tuberculosis, cancer, heart disease, and who knows what else.

No one will make it to 1000 even if we never aged. Everyone would eventually die in a car accident or contract some nasty disease. Plus there are still tends of thousands of nuclear weapons lying around to glass this planet.

JackLalanne
03-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Juicing is the key to a long life and I'm living proof!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-13-2010, 12:20 AM
I always have to laugh at predictions like this which completely ignore the impending (sometime this century) collapse of modern civilisation. On a finite planet currently in the death grip of an infinite growth model, at the end of the day where is the energy coming from?

Pipe dreams, opium pipe dreams... :lmao

The Sun
03-13-2010, 12:40 AM
I get my energy from the sun, like Superman, bitch.

Damn right.

Blake
03-13-2010, 01:42 AM
the girl getting sucked out of the window at the 1:24 mark was awesome.

Blake
03-13-2010, 01:49 AM
and I didn't realize Superman had blue ray fix great wall of china powers

Blake
03-13-2010, 01:53 AM
those red jams with the gold belt are definitely tight

Blake
03-13-2010, 02:01 AM
I'll go with.. yes.

Who else can pull off wearing briefs on the outside that have belt loops.

Blake
03-13-2010, 02:14 AM
I would never tell Superman talking on a cell phone in the theater to stfu

sa_kid20
03-13-2010, 02:25 AM
Too bad you can still be murdered, crushed, impaled, electrocuted, and fall to tuberculosis, cancer, heart disease, and who knows what else.

No one will make it to 1000 even if we never aged. Everyone would eventually die in a car accident or contract some nasty disease.

Or get hit in the head with a coconut. . .

BlackSwordsMan
03-13-2010, 10:14 AM
duncan can be a spur for another 900 years!