PDA

View Full Version : LMAO Express-News

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
03-12-2010, 02:13 PM
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3936/lolexpressnews.jpg

Yes, the reason your stats are plummeting has all to do with SpursTalk and nothing to do with your Spurs coverage progressively going from bad to unreadable :rolleyes

The Great Fantastic
03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
What a joke. f 'em. F 'em right in the a.

Mel_13
03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
:rollin

Referring to the efforts of McDonald, Monroe, and Harvey as "intellectual property".

Sausage
03-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey thanks Express-News!

AFBlue
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I bet Duncan228 is relieved...makes her job a hell of alot easier!

fyatuk
03-12-2010, 02:24 PM
It was going to happen sooner or later.

Not like their material is worth wholesale copying anyway. EN's a rag.

polandprzem
What a blast !

Sausage
Now that we can't post E-N articles, I guess we can 'Raise The Bar' now.

TimmehC
Under two sentences? Really? That's half the average length of an E-N article.

TDMVPDPOY
03-12-2010, 02:25 PM
there articles suck anyway, especially that ol mcdonal had a farm e ya eya oooo, and on the farm he had a shit....

Dex
03-12-2010, 02:25 PM
What a bunch of big, whiny babies. Heaven forbid they lose a couple hits.

The funny thing is, every article posted is usually linked. Meaning that Express News was probably getting more traffic off this site from people clicking those links or looking for supporting articles, then they were losing from people reading the articles here instead of on mysa.com.

But whatever, it makes sense. News is all about readers, and they want you reading from their site and their site only. It's just surprising that they would put out this excuse for coverage (which is nothing but regurgitated Spurstalk topics anyways), then be so uptight about it.

Kori - I assume we can still post links as long as we just link to the related article, instead of posting it? So crybaby Express News gets their web hits?

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Kori - I assume we can still post links as long as we just link to the related article, instead of posting it? So crybaby Express News gets their web hits?

Sure, you can post links. But it's probably better we just post nothing from there :lol

polandprzem
All I remember that every post with article had link on it. What is the law?

Spurs Brazil
Pathetic

Monroe and McDonald SUCKS big time.

F*** EN and their TERRIBLE Spurs coverage

polandprzem
WTF they want some of Ellis cake or what?

angel_luv
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Why would you as a newspaper think it wise to risk offending faithful readers when your problem is that you need subscribers?

I know I am not about to go out and order a subscription of Express News anytime soon- thanks to this move by them.

Boycott, baby!

Dex
Sure, you can post links. But it's probably better we just post nothing from there :lol

:lol True.

We don't want to give them anymore traffic anyways.

Boycott Express News! :downspin:

Stringer_Bell
I thought the articles were always linked and credit was given, but apparently anything over two sentences is going over the "intellectual property" line? That's horseshit since most of those articles take a good 5-6 sentences to get the point across. :ihit

Spurs Brazil
03-12-2010, 02:30 PM
And one more thing.

We don't need their crap. The Spurs official website post here and do a much better job covering the team

polandprzem
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
spurs dot com has the quotes from the game, so the intelectual part of EN is also there

Sean Cagney
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Pathetic

Monroe and McDonald SUCKS big time.

F*** EN and their TERRIBLE Spurs coverage

Yeah their articles are pure shit most of the time.

timvp
03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
spurs dot com has the quotes from the game, so the intelectual part of EN is also there

:lol

greyforest
03-12-2010, 02:36 PM
now that express-news prevents us from posting their articles on the internet we will all go and buy the paper!

Death In June
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Aren't there some issues with plagiarism between Monoroe, Harvey, and McDonald? Or is it just a coincidence that all of their ideas seem to follow SpursTalk?

AFBlue
03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Kudos to timvp for turning this demanding letter into a crusade.

As a famous Japanese general said after the bombing Pearl Harbor, "I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant..."

They went and did it...they pissed of ST nation and now they're gonna pay!

dbestpro
03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Funny stuff. It is obvious at times that they use this forum as a tool from which they develop and post stories. You should send them a letter of agreement that stipulates that the Express News will no longer violate the ideas and notions of Spurstalk and Spurstalk posters for their articles. Post a notice at the bottom of the screen that all material posted in this forum is copyright protected to the extent that it cannot be used for external commercial purposes. That should cut their ideas for articles by about 75%.

the crimson blur
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Guys, be reasonable. Express-News does its best to cover the team. Sometimes their articles suck (ok a lot of the time lol), but they try. At the very least, they give us quotes from the team. All they are asking is that all of their work doesn't get copy and pasted word for word in your posts. Its a business and if you want to see more of their articles, just go to their website.

I really don't see a problem with what they are requesting. Its messed up to copy and paste entire articles into your topic, even if you do give a link.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Just to be clear, by the law, they are correct. However, it has long been a courtesy between internet sites to just provide a link back with articles...particularly on high trafficked sites like ours. Because they do get traffic from our links back to them.

I get their point, but I do think they will end up getting less traffic from SpursTalk readers because of their request.

Libri
03-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I noticed that a while back they used to have SpursTalk under a blogs section but they took it off.

Libri
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
The Associated Press was demanding the same thing.

spurtilldeath
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Just to be clear, by the law, they are correct. However, it has long been a courtesy between internet sites to just provide a link back with articles...particularly on high trafficked sites like ours. Because they do get traffic from our links back to them.

I get their point, but I do think they will end up getting less traffic from SpursTalk readers because of their request.

I'm not sure that is accurate though. If the entire content of their article is not on this site, and just a link is provided, wouldn't you click on their link to read the entire article. As it is, we at Spurstalk are curious people and would want to know what the article says, irrespective of the quality of their content. I may be wrong, but just my opinion.

rayray2k8
03-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm actually glad that spurstalk isn't allowing anymore links from the Express News. Mcdonald and Monroe were fucking terrible and couldn't stand reading their 'no shit' articles.. Always late and have yet to break a story. If anything, kori and timvp should send them back a letter saying "agreed, as long as you tell Mcdonald and Monroe to write their own material since it's painfully obvious that their sources come spurstalk."

Spurstalk has been my main source for breaking on the spurs for years! This site was always the first to alert us about a scoop or a scoop from another site, while others like the express came out a day late...

Dumbasses just bit the hand that feed them. :lmao Nice going fucktards!

And one more thing.

We don't need their crap. The Spurs official website post here and do a much better job covering the team
:tu
Spursdotcom is so superior to the Express News that it's not even funny.

Trainwreck2100
03-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure that is accurate though. If the entire content of their article is not on this site, and just a link is provided, wouldn't you click on their link to read the entire article. As it is, we at Spurstalk are curious people and would want to know what the article says, irrespective of the quality of their content. I may be wrong, but just my opinion.

yes but now we aren't going to post their articles at all

angel_luv
03-12-2010, 02:54 PM
You do make sense the crimson blur, for the reasons you and Kori explained.

I am not a regular purchaser of the Express News so in that sense it woudl be difficult for me to boycott them.

However, it has been because I have seen an article I liked on Spurstalk that I have gone out and bought a copy of the Express News. I place such articles in my Spurs scrapbook.

I would not have bought the paper had I not first enjoyed their article here.

So, in making their demands, Express News has effectively lost my business.

z0sa
03-12-2010, 02:54 PM
EN doesn't have the quality of writing for justifying a move like this. No one cares even about a beat writer like McDonald anymore when you've got Twitter, facebook, official player/team websites, etc. The Spurs aren't exactly known for dropping bombs in the press often, either.

I can't possibly imagine cutting ST off doing anything positive for them.

Trainwreck2100
03-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Spurstalk has been my main source for breaking on the spurs for years! This site was always the first to alert us about a scoop or a scoop from another site, while others like the express came out a day late...

im not defending the E-N, just journalists in general, but a main difference between blogs and and actual journalism is that rumors have to be confirmed. So that's usually what takes awhile

Mel_13
03-12-2010, 02:56 PM

If not for the links here I would never see any of the E-N content. Can't say I'll miss it.

Sausage
03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Why post your articles online if you're afraid someone else would copy it and put it on their website? If you're struggling with newspaper sales, why post everything online for everyone to read for free?

Bob Dylan once wrote, "The times, they are a-changin". The Express-News had never heard that song.

spurtilldeath
03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
yes but now we aren't going to post their articles at all

I understand that and I'm for it as well, we are more than happy with spursdotcom links. But I'm just trying to say that Kori's assessment may not be accurate, as in, just providing a link and a gist of the content may not provide them traffic.

angel_luv
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Since the Express News does not charge a fee to read their articles online ( at least they do not to my knowledge,) I don't see that it matters so much where their articles are posted so long as their writers are credited for having written them.

Free publicity is a good thing- I thought.

Can someone explain to me how this make senses for the Express News from a business point of view? I am curious.

AFBlue
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Seems more like a demand than a request, and I think it's the general tone that ellicits an "f you" response.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 02:59 PM

You wouldn't click the link to read the entire article; that's not what I said. But you might click the link to read more content on their site.

Now, we won't have any of their articles on our site. So no one will be clicking anything.

So they'll be losing traffic.

Spurminator
03-12-2010, 02:59 PM
They could have asked a lot more nicely. If they want to go all Texas Hammer on ST.com, fuck 'em.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Since the Express News does not charge a fee to read their articles online ( at least they do not to my knowledge,) I don't see that it matters so much where their articles are posted so long as their writers are credited for having written them.

Can someone explain to me how this make senses for the Express News from a business point of view? I am curious.

They want the traffic on their site because they make advertising money by the number of visitors to their site.

urunobili
ROFL E-N... they should be more focused in getting a more decent Spurs coverage instead of this...

Sausage
The person who sent this letter must be a poster at SpursReport

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
They could have asked a lot more nicely. If they want to go all Texas Hammer on ST.com, fuck 'em.

Right. They could have just emailed or PM'd us first rather than having their attorney send a demand letter.

spurtilldeath
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
You wouldn't click the link to read the entire article; that's not what I said. But you might click the link to read more content on their site.

Now, we won't have any of their articles on our site. So no one will be clicking anything.

So they'll be losing traffic.

Ha, that I agree, sorry for missing the point.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Spursdotcom is so superior to the Express News that it's not even funny.

Oh definitely.

Spurdotcom has stepped up their game so much in the two years that they have all the quotes and info that most fans could want.

MarCowMar
I'd rather you let KBP start threads than allow people to link EN articles. They are awful.

D-rob fan
Guys, be reasonable. Express-News does its best to cover the team. Sometimes their articles suck (ok a lot of the time lol), but they try. At the very least, they give us quotes from the team. All they are asking is that all of their work doesn't get copy and pasted word for word in your posts. Its a business and if you want to see more of their articles, just go to their website.

I really don't see a problem with what they are requesting. Its messed up to copy and paste entire articles into your topic, even if you do give a link.

I agree. I don't think it's unreasonable. We hear from the news constantly that the phyical newspaper industry is struggling more and more every year. To compensate for this, they post online content and offer their services for free to the users and shifting their main source of revenue to advertising. This advertising revenue is contingent on the number of visitors to their site. If we post their articles in its entirety, they lose visitors and dont get the credit they deserve. As much as some people dont like their articles, its a business and someone's livelihood is contingent on that business.

Dr. Gonzo
I'm going to have my attorney send Kori a letter of some sort.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 03:03 PM

:lol Thanks.

rayray2k8
im not defending the E-N, just journalists in general, but a main difference between blogs and and actual journalism is that rumors have to be confirmed. So that's usually what takes awhile

How many times is it usually right?
I thought so. :lol
Even when there was a thread rumor going on out there, it usually got updated constantly to be proven or disapproved.

angel_luv
They want the traffic on their site because they make advertising money by the number of visitors to their site.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

My blog was never frequented enough for me to reap the benefits of heavy traffic, sadly. I remember being so happy when two or three people actually read my articles.

Spurminator
03-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Their thinking is that people are reading the articles here, instead of at their website. If they lose web traffic, they lose ad revenue, because those are sold based on impressions/click-thru's/acquisitions, etc.

It's pretty ridiculous though. If you add up all of the "thread views" of EN articles on SpursTalk.com, it would not reach a number that would translate to a significant amount of ad revenue.

usckk
03-12-2010, 03:05 PM

True, and they also use SpursTalk as a means to generate ideas for their articles. It's not a coincidence that some of their "original" articles resemble the ones posted here by TimVP.

For me, it was SpursTalk that let me know about MySA.com. I used to go there all the time to try to get to the articles first without relying on someone to post the articles on the forums. I have only stopped going there because of the elementary articles that have been released since John Ludden left. You have Yahoo Sports! covering the Spurs better than the local news source, which is sad.

This makes me not want to read anything from them anymore. *DELETING MYSA.com from bookmark favorites.*

austN Spur
03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
I usually would buy the express news for the pictures or "spur specials". When they went up to 75 cents i said F that I dont need those pictures that bad and stopped buying their papers then so, i'll just continue to say no to these fools. Bring Back the San Antonio light

FromWayDowntown
So, do you need me to draft the letter to the E-N advising them to stop using SpursTalk materials in their newspaper and on their website, demanding that they give attribution by hyperlink, and insisting that they limit their regurgitation to two sentences or less?

:-)

Dr. Gonzo
I only subscribe so I can get coupons on Sunday mornings.

mexicanjunior
I'm too lazy to have to go to Express News to read their crap...and I think most people are also. They are just hurting themselves...

timvp
03-12-2010, 03:07 PM

The more hits they get on their website, the more money they can make via advertising. They obviously conclude that SpursTalk is hurting their traffic.

However, I doubt this "demand" will do anything to substantially raise their traffic in the short-term and probably isn't a smart long-term move. But I guess we'll see. With the newspaper industry dying, they are no doubt desperate to squeeze out as many hits as possible.

Kori Ellis
So, do you need me to draft the letter to the E-N advising them to stop using SpursTalk materials in their newspaper and on their website, demanding that they give attribution by hyperlink, and insisting that they limit their regurgitation to two sentences or less?

:lmao

That would be awesome.

Trainwreck2100
I usually would buy the express news for the pictures or "spur specials". When they went up to 75 cents i said F that I dont need those pictures that bad and stopped buying their papers then so, i'll just continue to say no to these fools. Bring Back the San Antonio light

its actually $1 now

leo_d
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Right. They could have just emailed or PM'd us first rather than having their attorney send a demand letter.

im not a lawyer, but i guess they wanted to present a formal request so they have precedent that allows them to go after monetary arrengments if you don`t respect that request from this moment on.

Lebowski Brickowski
Unnamed sports desk jockey at EN to his boss:

"I get all these great story ideas at this one website called SpursTalk, but then, after I write up the article, they go and post it!"

angel_luv
FWD- And send a letter to the paper's editor and sign it from all 2,000 members of Spurstalk ( or however many of us there are now.) :)

austN Spur
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Seems more like a demand than a request, and I think it's the general tone that ellicits an "f you" response.

I agree with both these statements

Bartleby
03-12-2010, 03:11 PM
tzhb3U2cONs

Trainwreck2100

haha i work at a place that sells them, and i have a customer that just buys it for the tvguide, so i separate it for her and she gives me the rest to throw away. I keep the coupons though

Dr. Gonzo
Does this go for the other forums as well or just Spurs related material?

4>0rings
03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
im not a lawyer, but i guess they wanted to present a formal request so they have precedent that allows them to go after monetary arrengments if you don`t respect that request from this moment on.
:toast

Dr. Gonzo
03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
haha i work at a place that sells them, and i have a customer that just buys it for the tvguide, so i separate it for her and she gives me the rest to throw away. I keep the coupons though

Which Valero do you work at?

austN Spur
03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
its actually $1 now

thats crazy. if my tio was still alive he would be kick their door down start whooping ass and taking names.
I've been in austin a year now, can't believe they charge a dollar now

Trainwreck2100

yeah but they could have asked nicely the first time, and if ST ignores it, then send a letter. However they wanted to be dbags so fuck em

timvp
It's pretty ridiculous though. If you add up all of the "thread views" of EN articles on SpursTalk.com, it would not reach a number that would translate to a significant amount of ad revenue.

Exactly. Hypothetically, if everyone who viewed their article threads at SpursTalk instead viewed the articles on Express-News' website, the E-N would gain a couple bucks in ad revenue per article -- at most.

DBMethos
Idiots. Here's at least 1 Internet-savvy user who won't be providing them with any additional advertising revenue due to this childish request! :wakeup

Trainwreck2100
Which Valero do you work at?

don't sell gas holmes

Taco
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
http://getsbybuckner.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/spicoli.jpg

The Express and News ?!?!?
Those guys are fags !!!

Libri
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Same here. I only buy the Sunday paper occasionally for the coupons. :lol

Sigz
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't see the problem with EN.

People are copying and pasting entire articles from their site.

That's illegal.

Muser
03-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Damn they butthurt.

spursdotcom
03-12-2010, 03:17 PM
wow....

I must admit, there have been a few times that we requested an article not be posted in it's entirety. One quick PM to timvp and it was always resolved amicably.

I personally value the relationship we have with this board and most of it's members. However it does hurt (from a user's perspective) that there will be one less outlet for Spurs coverage on the board.

Here's hoping that all this may get worked out in due time :toast

doobs
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
They have to protect their interests. I suppose ST is peanuts in the grand scheme of things, but I understand why E-N's lawyers would search for people to threaten and then bill E-N for their efforts.

This is why Blackjack (or whoever it is) only posts a couple of sentences of 48MoH posts, along with a link.

alchemist
03-12-2010, 03:20 PM
2 sentences? Jesus Christ.

murpjf88
03-12-2010, 03:21 PM
At this point, I'm not so sure it has to do with making a few bucks, rather than getting continually slammed by spurstalk poster on a regular basis. They're probably fed up. It too detracts business away from E-N. I wonder if Spurs report got the same letter.

alchemist
They have to protect their interests. I suppose ST is peanuts in the grand scheme of things, but I understand why E-N's lawyers would search for people to threaten and then bill E-N for their efforts.

This is why Blackjack (or whoever it is) only posts a couple of sentences of 48MoH posts, along with a link.
I always thought Blackjack was the author :lol

polandprzem
It's a history in the making!

Never ever in a history EN had so much attention being poited on them

angel_luv
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
wow....

I must admit, there have been a few times that we requested an article not be posted in it's entirety. One quick PM to timvp and it was always resolved amicably.

I personally value the relationship we have with this board and most of it's members. However it does hurt that there will be one less outlet for Spurs coverage on the board.

My favorite Spurs feature is Matt Bonner's sandwich blog and you guys provide that, so I'm set. :)

ElNono
03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Actually, this will reduce bandwidth usage considerably for SpursTalk.com also, now that we won't have 30 or so posts pointing out what's wrong with each McDonald/Monroe story... :tu

TDMVPDPOY
03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
if they wanted to increase traffic....attached porn links to their site, fkn oxymorons have nothing else to do pickin on lil bros...

polandprzem
03-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Well I think I can now be aware to post three words in the same sequence EN posted same words.

Shit - I might not post anything then.

Bullet Tooth Tony
03-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Is there a way you can find out thier ip subnet and block them. Im sure those ass hat writers come in here looking for ideas on what to write about.

doobs
03-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Wait a minute, am I understanding Kori's response correctly? Will you be taking down ALL E-N threads and posts, even if they comply with E-N's request? Is that really how you want to play it?

I'd rather see two sentences, a title, and a link, than nothing at all. Couldn't you charm your way into getting E-N to allow, say, a whole paragraph instead of two sentences?

Libri
03-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Damn they butthurt.

Yup, someone must have been insulted.

timvp
03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
The lamest aspect is that we've personally helped E-N writers in the past with stories. Guess this is the thanks.

Oh well. This request is within their rights.

usckk
03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't see the problem with EN.

People are copying and pasting entire articles from their site.

That's illegal.

You're right. That's why I was totally fine when the Associated Press demanded the same thing from all message boards, like SpursTalk.

However, this is a local, newspaper that probably gains as much from Spurstalk as Spurstalk gains from them. You would just expect an "unspoken" agreement between to two with Spurstalk providing the links to MySA.com, while MySA.com used Spurstalk as a means to gain ideas and news updates.

Bruno
03-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Given the lack of quality of the latest E-N articles, ST won't lose a lot of interesting content.

What sucks is that there should have thousands of E-N articles posted on ST. I guess it will take some time to Kori to remove them all. Good luck to you. :toast

Bullet Tooth Tony
The lamest aspect is that we've personally helped E-N writers in the past with stories. Guess this is the thanks.

damn what a buch of pussies

Trainwreck2100
Wait a minute, am I understanding Kori's response correctly? Will you be taking down ALL E-N threads and posts, even if they comply with E-N's request? Is that really how you want to play it?

I'd rather see two sentences, a title, and a link, than nothing at all. Couldn't you charm your way into getting E-N to allow, say, a whole paragraph instead of two sentences?

no

Trainwreck2100
03-12-2010, 03:31 PM

Its possible this request could have come from their higher ups and they had no knowledge.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm not going to sit and edit hundreds of thread from the last 7 years. So yeah, I will probably just delete them all.

Spurminator
03-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Its possible this request could have come from their higher ups and they had no knowledge.

You're probably right. Some corporate bean-counter at Hearst trying to keep himself useful before the next round of layoffs.

angel_luv
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
The only article link I will really miss is the one about the Spurstalk gtgs. Bo is quoted in that one.

Thankfully, I bought a copy of that paper so I have the article in my Spurs scrap book.

ElNono
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Ohhhhh, fancy New York lawyers... Ahhhhhh

timvp
03-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Guess this will have to be deleted. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95610)

angel_luv
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Guess this will have to be deleted. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95610)

awww! That is the one! :(

usckk
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Not to mention this is a non-profit forum.

FromWayDowntown
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Henry Abbott apparently thinks the E-N's two sentence rule isn't a good one, since he's lifting more than 2 sentences from E-N material and posting it on his ESPN blog.

(that, or he hasn't yet gotten his letter from their attorney)

(or, the E-N is cool with more extensive use of its work when it talks about Michael Finley, suggesting that Gregg Popovich might be making legal decisions at the E-N)

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/13892/first-cup-tuesday-94

Cane
03-12-2010, 03:45 PM
The letter's a plant from Spursreport.com! ;)

Silverheart80
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Here's the truth of the matter:

I can find news reporting very easily anywhere on the net. However, it's good INSIGHT that I covet more than anything. The E-N hasn't had any valuable insight into the Spurs since Pop put the fear of Pop into the local media, and they essentially lost their will to ask real questions. Johnny Ludden was the last good journalist with any insight that we've had covering the Spurs. The current crop at E-N don't have it. They just don't.

So when I see links on this board to the E-N, I know two things immediately:

1. It's not worth my time because E-N and its columnists provide no depth and no insight.

2. Any item from the E-N has already been covered in-depth and en masse at SpursTalk by enough folks that I can probably glean a certain level of insight on my own by weeding through the trolls, and paying attention to perspectives by sensible talking heads like kori, timvp, marcusbryant, and a few others.

So with that said -- congrats, E-N. You've given me one more reason to permanently ignore you, and taken yet another miscalculated step toward print-media oblivion.

Libri
03-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Do I sense a revival of Full Sport Press? :downspin:

phxspurfan
03-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't remember any time in the last year or three that I visited the Express-News site (or purchased a paper). Their news article postings on here just serve as comic relief for the most part, due to their poor writing, absent editing and obvious thievery of some of our better posters' ideas.

Spurs.com, on the other hand, has turned into a great source for Spurs news and I frequent that site at least once a week. It's also fun to watch the postgame quotes and videos and I enjoy the convenience of clicking a SpursTalk link to get there.

I doubt this "demand" will do anything to substantially raise their traffic in the short-term and probably isn't a smart long-term move. But I guess we'll see. With the newspaper industry dying, they are no doubt desperate to squeeze out as many hits as possible

The death of the newspaper industry is a sad truth these days. I just cancelled my final newspaper subscription since I can read all the content I need online from their pay site. Although the convenience of the internet and the general "Save the Trees" movement have contributed to newspapers' demise, some papers will handle the shrinking market better than others due to management decisions far better than the one reflected by the SA Express-News in this thread.

doobs
03-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm not going to sit and edit hundreds of thread from the last 7 years. So yeah, I will probably just delete them all.

I'm not talking about the last 7 years. I'm talking about going forward.

Will all E-N articles get deleted? Just curious.

EP Money Man
03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I am currently looking up some case law concerning this matter, just to add my two cents.

But what I do know for sure is that there is a very plausible "Estoppel" legal argument to be made.

Estoppel is a legal affirmative defense. A copyright defendant must prove four conjunctive elements to establish estoppel as a defense to a copyright infringement allegation: (1) the plaintiff must know the facts of the defendant's infringing conduct; (2) the plaintiff must intend that its conduct shall be acted on or must so act that the defendant has a right to believe that it is so intended; (3) the defendant must be ignorant of the true facts; and (4) the defendant must rely on the plaintiff's conduct to its injury.

Basically, Spurstalk would have to show that (1) EN knew that articles were being posted; (2) that EN intended the posting of articles to be ok or EN acted in a way to make Spurstalk believe that it was ok to post articles; (3) Spurstalk didn't know it was not ok; and (4) Spurstalk relied on EN's conduct to its detriment.

The meat and bones of such a legal defense lies in whether EN allowed this to happen for some time and this made Spurstalk think it was ok. EN would be "Estopped" from now claiming infringement.

I think that the link that timvp posted (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95610) speaks volumes.

timvp
03-12-2010, 04:01 PM

We'll have to figure out how to handle it. They want no more than two sentences with a link.

mexicanjunior
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
We'll have to figure out how to handle it. They want no more than two sentences with a link.

Make Express-News a "hidden" forum...

TimmehC
03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
wow....

I personally value the relationship we have with this board and most of it's members. However it does hurt (from a user's perspective) that there will be one less outlet for Spurs coverage on the board.

This is called "class". Not surprising, since that's a word that always seems to come to mine when talking about the Spurs organization. A hearty thanks to you.

:toast

tothrowed
03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
why the express news player hatin its not like we read the newspaper anyways

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/Bodegaswift/chappelle-player-haters-ball.jpg

Shelly
03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Duncan228's post count is going to go way down now!

murpjf88
03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Henry Abbott apparently thinks the E-N's two sentence rule isn't a good one, since he's lifting more than 2 sentences from E-N material and posting it on his ESPN blog.

(that, or he hasn't yet gotten his letter from their attorney)

(or, the E-N is cool with more extensive use of its work when it talks about Michael Finley, suggesting that Gregg Popovich might be making legal decisions at the E-N)

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/13892/first-cup-tuesday-94

Henry Abbott doesn't slam the writers and E-N in his blog.

"another :td for monroe" DesignatedT
":td More sucktacular reporting from the Excuse for News." Aggie Hoopsfan

Maybe its responses like this that put the final pin in the party hog.

5in10
03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
The people here are probably some of the only people that even read that shit.

dbestpro
03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
When it almost had passed from my memory I once again finda reason to miss the San Antonio Light.

murpjf88
03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
the express news is here right now.

Trainwreck2100
03-12-2010, 04:20 PM
the express news is here right now.

how do you know that? Are you the narc?

murpjf88
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
how do you know that? Are you the narc?

bimbo!

murpjf88 (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17159), Express-News (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19406), duncan228 (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3534), kace (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=5511), spursdotcom (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=12653), KenMcCoy (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=13970), Libri (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14992), mychang (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16690), NameOfTheGame (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17686), silverblackfan (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14766), SpursWoman (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=4), CFH (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17489), Silverheart80 (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2250), init2winit (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15076), MannyIsGod (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=76), TimmehC (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17347), tothrowed (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19061), doobs (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14380), EP Money Man (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=18465), 4down (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=921), TheProfessor (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=9435), usckk (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=405), alchemist (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14508), bobby4germany (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17942), benefactor (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=13284), JohnD99 (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=10903), Rogbok (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=127), Taco (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=100), urunobili (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=7291), TwoHandJam (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=167), Brox6 (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11736), Sigz (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=10809), admiralfats (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11992), the crimson blur (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16157)

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Well duncan228, I told you so

your generic unoriginal posting style really payed off huh

I guess you'll have go come up with your own shit instead of posting two EN links every night at 11:58 pm

i told you so

duncan228, worst spurs poster. Like I said I saiddd

dbestpro
03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I would like to see a Spursnews page established within Spurstalk. The main players of Spurstalk who know who they are can post and compete with news articles about the Spurs, which we can also comment on in this forum. Maybe a submission to Timvp and Kori as editiors. We've seen some threads in that manner, but now it is time to give the Express a little sports journalism competition. Of course friendly links to the likes of Spursdot.com, 48 and others would still be cool.

Kermit
03-12-2010, 04:38 PM

I guess you'll have go come up with your own shit instead of posting two EN links every night at 11:58 pm

i told you so

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Who are the main players you speak of besides Kori and lj?

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
What the shit?

Isn't that ironic?

Trainwreck2100
03-12-2010, 04:44 PM

right here son

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Well duncan228 i told you so

your generic unoriginal posting style really payed off

I guess you'll have to come up with your own opinions instead of copy pasting two EN links at 11:58 pm every night

I told yall so, Duncan228, worst spurs poster ever I saidddddd

timvp
03-12-2010, 04:47 PM

I guess you'll have to come up with your own opinions instead of copy pasting two EN links at 11:58 pm every night

You're cool bro. Attack posters who actually contribute other than random complaint posts.

Kermit
03-12-2010, 04:47 PM

Sec24Row7
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Fuck em... just put mysa.com, mysanantonio.com and expressnews.com in the swear filter like you did Elliott with one L

that should fuck up any hot links that can be made.

Let them wither and die. They are cocksuckers for killing the San Antonio Light anyway.

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 04:51 PM
You're cool bro. Attack posters who actually contribute other than random complaint posts.

Yeah dogg

what exactly do you mean by "attack"?

I can copy and paste too

let me just order those how to use windows tutor CDs and I'll be right on it

elbamba
03-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I am more pissed that EN is using a New York attorney as oppossed to a local one. Especially for this type of letter. I don't live in SA anymore so I don't get the paper. But my family stopped getting the paper about 5-6 years ago. They suck.

gospursgojas
03-12-2010, 04:53 PM

I won't agree to the worst poster ever part.... but I can't say I disagree with the fact that her posts possibly can be a big factor to this problem.

Idk who posts articles, really besides d228

Trainwreck2100
03-12-2010, 04:58 PM

oh mookie you so anti-establishment

dbestpro
03-12-2010, 04:58 PM

The raise the bar prime time players. There have been some nice opinion articles posted by some of the Spurstalks players who are trying to raise the bar. Let's just take it to the next level and run a news/opinion driven blog along side or within Spurstalk. Beats the hell out of the EN crap.

timvp
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah dogg

what exactly do you mean by "attack"?

I can copy and paste too

let me just order those how to use windows tutor CDs and I'll be right on it

Cool story bro. Keep bringing the outstanding takes to the Spurs forum you are known for, playdog.

stéphane
03-12-2010, 05:01 PM
That's pretty lame and ridiculous. The only time I go to mysa.com is when I click on an OP linking the article and won't ever go to their site by myself.
Seriously hope the person that dared to sign this thing will just roll over and die.

timvp
03-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I won't agree to the worst poster ever part.... but I can't say I disagree with the fact that her posts possibly can be a big factor to this problem.

Idk who posts articles, really besides d228

E-N articles have been posted since the beginning of SpursTalk's existence (seven years now). To blame duncan228 is laughable. She only picked up a practice that was already in place. It used to be me or Kori who would post the articles so duncan228 taking the baton saved us countless hours over the years.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I bet both MacDonald and Monroe read these threads and got pissed at how much they get ripped on here.

SA Express News blows.

td4mvp21
03-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Fuck the Express News. They should consider themselves lucky that the board actually redistributes some of the articles McDonald writes.

seth210
03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I nearly spit out my drink

THE TEXAS HAMMER

Sisk
As others have said, thanks for posting this to the site.. hope they lose some subscriptions from ST readers

Of course, we know we'll be just fine without that garbage anyways

Taco

You can put something in there like SpursReport.com has
if you post "SpursTalk" it comes out "*********"

Or if you mis-spell Sean Elliott to [E L L I O T]Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_

Dex
Should I assume that we should take the same approach with all news articles? Such as articles from other local media/coverage?

I'm sure you guys don't want anymore angry letters. :lol

phxspurfan
03-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I bet both MacDonald and Monroe read these threads and got pissed at how much they get ripped on here.

SA Express News blows.

No doubt they did complain. They have those crappy reporter egos. The movie Anchorman comes to mind, but less funny and more pathetic.

Brazil
03-12-2010, 05:07 PM

:lol exactly !

stéphane
03-12-2010, 05:08 PM
That letter also provide some material that they come here to get some inspiration for writing their articles otherwise they wouldn't know what's on ST.
You should IP ban the express news IP adress range. That would be just fair.

TJastal
03-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Timvp, I was wondering when I would be able to post new threads again, or perform searches and change things in my profile like sigs and avatar?

Been going on 2 months now I cannot do any of these things, I am sorry for posting the false Splitter thread (that got my account compromised) and can guarantee it won't happen again. I know your a busy man right now (with the new addition to family, congrats btw) but if you can please consider this request. :flag:

Go For Tree
Im sure you did, but just to make sure, did you actually verify the letter?

When I look up any information about Hearst Corporation I find nothing that says they represent SA-EN in any way that would force you to stop posting their articles with links.

Youre sure nobody here who knows you isnt just fucking with you right?

mookie2001
Cool bro bro lol cat story bro

that doesn't change shit

who can I get to delete your post since youre "attacking" me

you think I believe duncan228 invented posting EN?

I'd talk with my lawyer and not be so worried about sticking up for my number 1 fan

Dr. Gonzo
Cool story bro. Keep bringing the outstanding takes to the Spurs forum you are known for, playdog.

haha playdog

EP Money Man
03-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Here are some snippets of some Texas fed case law:

-- To prove copyright infringement, plaintiff must show ownership of valid copyright and actionable copying.

-- Copyright ownership is shown by (1) proof of originality and copyrightability and (2) compliance with applicable statutory requirements.

-- Originality requirement for copyrightability means only that work was independently created by author, as opposed to copied from other works, and that it possesses at least some minimal degree of creativity.

Isn't there an argument to be made that some EN articles aren't original. Hasn't it been show that they rip-off ideas from Spurstalk posters? Some of these EN articles have NO degree of creativity!!

timvp
03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Im sure you did, but just to make sure, did you actually verify the letter?

When I look up any information about Hearst Corporation I find nothing that says they represent SA-EN in any way that would force you to stop posting their articles with links.

Youre sure nobody here who knows you isnt just fucking with you right?

It's legit. Hearst owns E-N.

http://www.hearst.com/newspapers/san-antonio-express-news.php

timvp
03-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Cool bro bro lol cat story bro

that doesn't change shit

who can I get to delete your post since youre "attacking" me

you think I believe duncan228 invented posting EN?

I'd talk with my lawyer and not be so worried about sticking up for my number 1 fan

Another great take in the Spurs forum.

benefactor
03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
L M A O

As many have said, they are tired of getting ripped on here for thier garbage reporting so they are pushing thier weight around. The sad thing about it is they bring it upon themselves.

That's too bad. I'm really going to miss all that regurgitated information and the countless stat errors.

TJastal
03-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Another great take in the Spurs forum.

Almost sounds like this kook has a personal vendetta against 228.

JR3
03-12-2010, 05:24 PM
it is what it is.. i stopped gravitating to the EN a long time ago anyways.

Pero
03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow. I know for myself that most of the time I wouldn't even be reading whole articles if they weren't posted in their enirety here. And heck, for EN articles even when posted in their entirety there's not that much use from them except for reading the poster's comments on them. :lol

ShoogarBear
03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
You should have just thrown duncan228 under the bus, LJ. :lol

ShoogarBear
03-12-2010, 05:28 PM

Tell her to stop posting your posts.

EP Money Man
Almost sounds like this kook has a personal vendetta against 228.

I usually wait until midnight or 1 for her posts to the EN articles, just to hear what Pop or the guys say or update on injuries, etc...

I would vigorously defend 228s contributions.:toast

mookie2001
Im only banking on never posting articles

ever

living by my rep

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Woah woah easy shoogar

Kori posted a link before too

ShoogarBear
03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Actually, this will reduce bandwidth usage considerably for SpursTalk.com also, now that we won't have 30 or so posts pointing out what's wrong with each McDonald/Monroe story... :tu

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Haha who cares, EN is a joke anyways and the stuff written about the Spurs is pointless trash

ShoogarBear
03-12-2010, 05:37 PM
You should have just thrown duncan228 under the bus, LJ. :lol

Ah, shit. I wrote this before I saw mookie's foolishness.

Obstructed_View
03-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Wow, if only the EN were so courageous when it came to asking anyone from the Spurs tough questions.

I agree that ST members should just avoid the EN for a month or two just to see how much it hurts their web stats. I haven't been to their site in years simply because it's not worth my time. I can't think of anything I've seen on ST from them that will change my mind.

Libri
03-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow, if only the EN were so courageous when it came to asking anyone from the Spurs tough questions.

That's right.

Marcus Bryant
03-12-2010, 05:46 PM
ST didn't take your traffic away, Ludden did.

And yeah, I'm going to visit EN's website to see what Buck came up with after his 5th Dos Equis. Is there a more overrated columnist, ever? Well, other than Maureen Dowd.

Still, Buck is still living on the fumes of having covered the Celtics during Bird's rookie year.

EVAY
03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
What a COLOSSAL PR Blunder!

Das Texan
I go work and all for the afternoon and I miss this? Damn!

E-N is funny. A couple of weeks ago, I went into IHOP in the morning, cause I needed some time to kill and well I was hungry. I said to myself, I dont want to read with my phone right now (give it a break), so I'll buy a paper. I go and see its a buck and say wtf!

The paper is smaller, combines section and is twice as much as when it was decent.

Have their ad buys gone down THAT much in the past few years? Fuck.

Let's see how long until the join the likes of the other rags that have ceased daily publication. Wait until all the old folks die in this town. In my neighborhood I dont even know of anyone who does get delivery :lol

What am I going to do now though? I wont have McDonald and Monroe garbage to read late at night when I'm bored. Maybe I'll have to go read something where I might learn something as a result. Damn.

Das Texan
ST didn't take your traffic away, Ludden did.

And yeah, I'm going to visit EN's website to see what Buck came up with after his 5th Dos Equis. Is there a more overrated columnist, ever? Well, other than Maureen Dowd.

Still, Buck is still living on the fumes of having covered the Celtics during Bird's rookie year.

I miss Ludden so much when it comes to Spurs coverage.

Marcus Bryant
03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Tony Parker is French.

Pop likes Bordeaux.

Once upon a time Stan Albeck and I had French Onion soup at a restaurant in the Denver Ramada.

And what can the Spurs get for a young budding All-Star in Samaki Walker?

[/buckharvey]

Frenzy
03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
i'm going back to "the san antonio light"

screw the express!

Dro210
03-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Ehhh, no big loss... basically ST can't read a recap of what ST said during the day anymore?

Too bad we can't keep their top-notch writers from anonymously browsing the board so they'd have to write their own shit.

Fuck off Express News, lmao... dying sack of shit

Kool Bob Love
03-12-2010, 05:58 PM

i told you so

:lol:rollin:rollin
But he dose have a point...:wakeup

:nerd DUNCAN228 ON SUICIDE WATCH :nerd

objective
03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
This is all a sad joke, not the request for snippets +links versus full reads, but their attitude considering they rip this board off all the time.

Just the most recent example:

48MoH just posted an article entitled "Mike Monroe's Depressing Insight" (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/03/10/mike-monroes-depressing-insight/) about the alleged 'insight' regarding Splitter being affected by a lockout. That's straight up what I've posted here and in the Think Tank for MONTHS. That's not Monroe's damn insight when it's been in the Spurs cyberverse repeatedly for months.

Monroe hasn't had any damn insight since he was a national clown, maybe not even then. The Spurs writers are clowns. They rip from this board and want credit for it (and get it from ESPN affiliated blogs like 48MoH). If they really knew what they were doing they'd just bite off everything I and others here post, because then they would have informed their readers with solid speculation that predicted Haislip asking for his release to go back to Europe and Finley asking for a buyout.

The only place someone needs to go on the net for Spurs insight and analysis is ST. The Express News had jackshit, they never break anything about the Spurs, it's always from national writers. If they can't do that, then all they're doing is collecting quotes and having Buck Harvey write 5 lines but with 8 paragraph breaks. And even though 48MoH has some decent coverage like interviews and stat interps, they're months behind the discussions here.

eric365
03-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't understand all the hate on E-N.
They just ask the same thing that is done for spursdotcom and 48MoH.

For theses 2 websites we have to go on the links to see the whole content of the article.

It seems fair enough.

But the request by letter and the fact to remove all the old article is lame...

superbigtime
03-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Fuck the express news. They ride the Spurs coattails more than imaginable, handing out spurs umbrellas and other spurs shit just to get people to subscribe to their rag, and now their stupid Spurs articles cannot be posted and discussed on a Spurs fan forum??? LAME. BOYCOTT !!!!!!!!

objective
03-12-2010, 06:06 PM
you should ip ban the express news ip adress range.

That would be just fair.

this

ShoogarBear
03-12-2010, 06:06 PM
The point is that, given previous interactions, they could have asked in a lot better way than have their New York lawyer threaten them.

greyforest
03-12-2010, 06:09 PM

hahahah

scottspurs
03-12-2010, 06:19 PM
that is absolutely hilarious x1000

DPG21920
03-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Summary:

Who cares if we can't post their articles? We as fans are not losing anything, because all their information is covered by so many other venues. I love coming to ST and getting all the articles in one place. E/N was last on that list, which is sad.

Their reasons for the request, or at least what we think their reasons are, make no logical sense. There will be absolutely 0 impact on either end because of this.

We are the biggest supporters of the Spurs and they should be trying to please us. If they are not happy with how we criticize their product, maybe they should listen and fix the problem. Now they have pissed off real Spurs fans which makes no sense. Enjoy the disconnect with the core of the fan base :tu

Flux451
03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Paraphrase PEOPLE!

It's what McDonald does from our threads anyway.

polandprzem
03-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm not gonna go to McDonalds ever again !!!

spursncowboys
03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
news corp and hearst are going to charging for any internet service. for it to work, they have to shut down reprints. it's bullsh*t that this is their idea to make their business model successful.

timtonymanu
03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Meh this news is exactly like Finley's exit. We dont care, they think they're hot shit, and people hate them even more.

I don't even read their articles when they're posted here. I just read the comments posters leave and if they say the article was good enough, I'll read it.

McDonald and Monroe are shitty reporters. They know they steal comments and material from ST. Just the other day when i was reading the hairston article, i even posted that Monroe took the line "Malik played better than (insert name) here did better in this month." I hear posters say that all the time and Monroe uses it to start his article. What a douche.

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
i dont think the guys are great either but i like the subjects they write about, i buy the paper and enjoy reading about the spurs. if i miss a day or a week its no big deal, online i know where to find them, that is, i dont need a thread on spurstalk.com thats copy pasted from another site, i dont see how thats convenient or informative reading gray posters bitch

im sure 99% of fans in every pro town hate the local and beat guys, they have to write a story every day, make shit up, write bullshit, tell us shit we already know, bring up old shit, predict stupid shit, write off topic shit, etc shit

its the nature of sports reporting and we all like to think we know more and could do a better job

benefactor
03-12-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm off to troll their game chat.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/03/spurs-vs-timber-3.html

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
rofl

DPG21920
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Sons a lot of us could do better. Also, who reads the paper still? That is estpuido

Shastafarian
03-12-2010, 08:15 PM
7:14

Jeff McDonald:
I do know those sites have been stealing our work for years, though.
Friday March 12, 2010 7:14 Jeff McDonald

mookie:
i think they know more about laws up there
Friday March 12, 2010 7:14 mookie

mookie:
jeff you invented the spurs right?

benefactor
03-12-2010, 08:16 PM
rofl blocking my posts now.

benefactor
03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
mookie is working Jeff right now.

Shastafarian
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
I feel I've gone too far.

Dro210
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
shit is wack... they don't allow any of my comments to go thru.... how'd yall get in like that?

DPG21920
03-12-2010, 08:35 PM
:lol Stealing our work for years...How long have you been doing this, Jeff? Don't you mean your company pawns off a few ideas they get from here?

timtonymanu
03-12-2010, 08:36 PM
hey jeff what's your questions gonna be in the next practice report/postgame interview?

irrelevant shit i bet.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
give us a link to this convo between mook and jeff

Shastafarian
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
:lol Stealing our work for years...How long have you been doing this, Jeff? Don't you mean your company pawns off a few ideas they get from here?

He claimed he has never done that. I asked point blank.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2010, 08:38 PM
rofl nm i found it

crassic

DPG21920
Tru...seeing evidence of mookie bloading Jeff would raise his cred I saidddd

DPG21920
He claimed he has never done that. I asked point blank.

Of course.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2010, 08:39 PM
"spurstalk.com is platinum, expressnews just a silvery chain "

roflrofl
hahahahaha

Shastafarian
03-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Of course.

Actually he never really answered my question. He skirted around it.

Shastafarian
03-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I got banned for saying "bastards". :rollin

Dro210
03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
haha somebody said bastards and they kicked him out.... :lmao

wtf? what kind of pussy shit is this?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
7:07

mookie:
i want a lawsuit myself, just to feel important
Friday March 12, 2010 7:07 mookie

mookie:
im an american and i want myyyyyyyyyyyy lawsuit

Jeff McDonald:
I only work here. I don't realy have any answers for you. Your question is so far above my pay grade it's not even funny.

mookie:
because i wrote words and they mean things because i say them!

Jeff McDonald:
You're allowed to post excerpts. If you post the entire story for free, there's no need to click on the link. It's a copyright violation.

mookie:
trust me, internet and bloggers ruined myyyyyyy profession!

mookie:
i went to college!
7:07

mookie:
im going to link every story you ever write

Shastafarian
03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
haha somebody said bastards and they kicked him out.... :lmao

wtf? what kind of pussy shit is this?

yeah that was me. I asked someone who just came in why he thought EN were such bastards. I never got my reply.

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
cbf can appreciate that because he knows how slow i type

DPG21920
03-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2010, 08:44 PM
mookie:
im an american and i want myyyyyyyyyyyy lawsuit

That's my favorite
"Count it!"

exstatic
03-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Aren't there some issues with plagiarism between Monoroe, Harvey, and McDonald? Or is it just a coincidence that all of their ideas seem to follow SpursTalk?

THAT. ST needs to start hittin' that shit up.

Dro210
03-12-2010, 08:49 PM
haha, i give up.... they won't let me talk... they can't handle the truth

mark gaboda is in there... :lmao:lmao:lmao

3rd Degree! Marky G!

Marcus Bryant
03-12-2010, 09:08 PM
The Spurs haven't fared this season as they expected heading into it.
[/mcdonald]

my2sons
03-12-2010, 09:14 PM
....but this is where I come for my express news information...certainly not mysa.com much less pay for that sorry ass rag....

Marcus Bryant
03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Ludden got the F out when he could. Other than this forum, he's the only one I turn to for Spurs info. How long would Buck or Jeffy last as a national correspondent for the NBA?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-12-2010, 09:18 PM
http://twitter.com/JMac_SAEN

There ya go Jeffy

carina_gino20
03-12-2010, 09:25 PM

When this is over and done, this thread needs to go the Classics.

Seriously though, although they were within their rights, they could have approached Kori and LJ more amicably.

Anyway, as others have said, it isn't much loss to us. Almost all of their articles are just summaries of the post-game quotes or the practice reports from spursdotcom.

spursncowboys
03-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't understand all the hate on E-N.
They just ask the same thing that is done for spursdotcom and 48MoH.

For theses 2 websites we have to go on the links to see the whole content of the article.

It seems fair enough.

But the request by letter and the fact to remove all the old article is lame...

Hearst said its newspapers plan to hold back at least some content from their free Web sites, launching the publisher onto the vanguard of print media companies to begin charging for their digital news and information.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/02/27/hearst-to-begin-charging-for-digital-news/tab/article/

I read new corp is doing the same thing. it's the new idea of how to save newspapers.

phxspurfan
03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
From the looks of it mookie got owned by McDonald :stirpot: especially with the I've kissed a girl comment

7:18 Jeff McDonald: I work for this newspaper/website ... for one. Also, I've kissed a girl before.

Friday March 12, 2010 7:18 Jeff McDonald
7:18 Jeff McDonald: Sorry ... that was a joke.

lurker23
03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
I understand why the Express-News is doing this. It's within their rights, and at this point in the newspaper industry, online advertising is a big deal.

However, the use of a lawyer in an initial, simple request is heavy-handed and lacks serious tact. An email or PM, the same way spursdotcom says they have done in the past, would have been very sufficient. Not to mention that they probably paid that lawyer more to write that letter than Spurstalk has ever "stolen" from them in ad revenue.

The request to remove ALL E-N articles from the past 7 years from the site is perhaps the most ridiculous part of the request. Not only is that a massive amount of work for Kori, anything older than 2 weeks is only going to give them MORE traffic as users browse the archives, not less.

Since I understand and respect the newspaper industry and the sad state it's currently in, I would often click on the links posted here, partially to read the article in it's original formatting, but also to support the newspaper in a small way. While I don't view the E-N writers and columnists in nearly as negative a light as many people here, I agree that the quality of writing has gone down significantly since Ludden's departure. I also agree that much of their content looks like it was stolen from SpursTalk, which detracts from the value of the article, even if it's mere coincidence and "late-to-the-party-ness" instead of real theft. I don't know what policy Kori and LJ want to take on the posting of links or lack thereof, but I do know that I will be clicking on the links less often, and I wouldn't be surprised if the E-N's traffic goes down slightly due to this maneuver on their part.

I fully support FromWayDowntown's suggestion of sending them a similarly worded letter requesting that they stop copying material and ideas from SpursTalk.

I also like dbestpro's idea of starting a competing article and opinion column project on SpursTalk. If that's a route Kori and LJ are considering, I'd likely be supportive.

All told, this move by the E-N isn't that big a deal, and will hurt them more than it will hurt us. SpursTalk was doing a great job of becoming the one-stop-shop for Spurs news and chatter, and will continue to be so even if the Express-News content is never seen here again.

carina_gino20
03-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I fully support FromWayDowntown's suggestion of sending them a similarly worded letter requesting that they stop copying material and ideas from SpursTalk.

If I'm not mistaken, copyright doesn't include ideas. So unless they fully copy and paste any of the takes here without credit, I don't think ST can do anything on that regard.

lurker23
03-12-2010, 10:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, copyright doesn't include ideas. So unless they fully copy and paste any of the takes here without credit, I don't think ST can do anything on that regard.

Such a letter would have more bark than bite, and would mostly be a joke. I support it because it would be hilarious and poignant. While I highly doubt the Ellis family would ever take any legal action against the E-N in this regard, it would get the point across that many of the story ideas and opinions in the Express-News appeared on SpursTalk first.

sabar
03-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Too bad their $30,000 cease and desist letter has no legal power behind it. Unfortunately it still accomplishes the same goal through intimidation.

Copyright covers all information, as retarded as someone owning a bunch of words is.

I understand why the Express-News is doing this. It's within their rights, and at this point in the newspaper industry, online advertising is a big deal.

They are doing it because they are running an unsustainable business model. Same reason that the music and movie industry do nothing but fight piracy; their retarded models treat the consumer as the enemy.

This is a great read (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/96) and is closely tied to the death of copyright. Within the next generation all information will be free, other models can't be sustained in the digital era.

sabar
03-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Such a letter would have more bark than bite, and would mostly be a joke. I support it because it would be hilarious and poignant. While I highly doubt the Ellis family would ever take any legal action against the E-N in this regard, it would get the point across that many of the story ideas and opinions in the Express-News appeared on SpursTalk first.

Express-News uses derivative works of takes on here, so no law breaking, its within fair use.

The best ways to return the EN favor would be something like:

1. Get the word out, everyone would copy their stories and their business takes a hit. The digg effect, such as when cease and desists went out about dvd encoding keys and they got spammed all over the web.

2. Censor all EN links. Bye-bye entire business segment on spurstalk.

3. Cancel EN subscription if you have one, along with a letter.

carina_gino20
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Copyright covers all information, as retarded as someone owning a bunch of words is.

No, it doesn't (http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html). How it is expressed, yes. But not the idea itself.

I agree with lurker23. It would be fun to send them that letter just for the fun of it even though it wouldn't have any legal ramifications for them. It's unfair that they get to do this and yet they've most probably been stealing ideas and inside infos from ST for years.

mookie2001
03-12-2010, 10:43 PM
-why are we small balling?-isnt exactly inventing the snuggie

anyway these writers are offended and really just plain scared that any asshole with a blackberry can do what they do and sometimes do it a lot better, theyre hanging on by being smug and pompous about it

its akin to "real musicians" chodes exploding when kraftwerk changed tha game with a box and a mic, adapt or die and 35 years later there wont be a difference

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2010, 10:45 PM
i'd express my approval of that last post but timvp would just log in as gtownspur and scarf me yet again :depressed

I. Hustle
03-12-2010, 10:47 PM
New York City??!!!

Get a rope

timvp
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I do know those sites have been stealing our work for years, though.

Interesting take, brah.

Noted.

Dex
03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/scottpieper/web/fyou.gif
This is how I feel about the Express News.

L.I.T
03-12-2010, 11:40 PM
As far as I know, as long as there was a correct citation of the work it can't be called plagiarism (which I guess is what he's accusing the ST community of doing).

Maybe we should have been using MLA style?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-12-2010, 11:42 PM
What a bunch of fucking retards.

They would rather get less exposure for their articles by banning others from copying and linking to them simply so they get a few more hits?

Fuck them. Their articles are shitful anyway. SpursTalk and 48MoH covers the Spurs 10000000000000x better than they do.

Avitus1
03-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Well damn guess we'll have to find another POS paper to get POS articles to read.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2010, 11:53 PM
As far as I know, as long as there was a correct citation of the work it can't be called plagiarism (which I guess is what he's accusing the ST community of doing).

Maybe we should have been using MLA style?

No, they are accusing us of copyright infringement. And we (SpursTalk) are guilty of that.

Plagiarism would be copying their work and trying to pass it off as our own. We don't do that -- we credit them. It's copyright infringement because (though we link back to them) we haven't been granted permission to republish their articles on our site.

It's really not that big of deal. LJ is going to email them and see how we can go about removing the last seven years of their articles. And we won't be posting their articles anymore.

I'd prefer that you guys don't f with them.

polandprzem
03-13-2010, 12:05 AM

Don't fish with them?

carina_gino20
03-13-2010, 12:06 AM

Will do. :toast Live and let live.

Although it's a little too late after what mookie did at their gamechat. :lol It was pretty hilarious. I almost felt bad for McDonald.

Kermit
03-13-2010, 12:09 AM
No, they are accusing us of copyright infringement. And we (SpursTalk) are guilty of that.

Plagiarism would be copying their work and trying to pass it off as our own. We don't do that -- we credit them. It's copyright infringement because (though we link back to them) we haven't been granted permission to republish their articles on our site.

It's really not that big of deal. LJ is going to email them and see how we can go about removing the last seven years of their articles. And we won't be posting their articles anymore.

Why? It's not like they can do anything once you've swept the site of their articles. Fuck 'em.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Screwing with McDonald misses the point because he's only a crappy beat writer - this decision came from on high.

I think we all should just ignore that paper like it never existed. It's not like they ever say anything worth reading.

Move on.

PS The idea of tracking down and removing 7 years of articles from the archives is pretty horrendous though! Hope they only ask you to do it for the last month or something, Kori. :lol :oops

Kori Ellis
03-13-2010, 12:14 AM
PS The idea of tracking down and removing 7 years of articles from the archives is pretty horrendous though! Hope they only ask you to do it for the last month or something, Kori. :lol :oops

They asked us to remove them all (in the letter) -- so that's since the forum existed.

jaffies
03-13-2010, 12:19 AM

Screwing with McDonald misses the point because he's only a crappy beat writer - this decision came from on high.

Yeah, you're right.

I'm not gonna post my thread that I had set up earlier. It came off as mean (funny...mean) and probably directed at the wrong people.

Das Texan
03-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Removing things for the last 7 years is fucking retarded. Typical big corporate lawyer. Make retarded requests. I'm surprised they didnt give a have it done within 48 hours or else edict.