PDA

View Full Version : I don't care who you are...

Yonivore
03-12-2010, 08:19 PM
...that's funny right there.

Brooks is turning out to be like Big Bird to Obama's Snuffaluffagus! He's the only one who can see the real Obama and nobody believes him. (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MGRhNzRiMzJkMGE2OGI5MzViZmU3ZmUzNTFlYjdmZjA=)

DMX7
03-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Keen

George Gervin's Afro
03-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I stopped at Jonah Golberg

Yonivore
03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
I stopped at Jonah Golberg
At least you're consistent in remaining ignorant of any opposing views. Helps you keep a grasp on the narrative you've so carefully nurtured, eh?

ChumpDumper
03-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Yonibot is ignorant on everything except what his blog overlords program him to regurgitate.

EmptyMan
03-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Here's what progressives need to do.

Get your boy Soros to give you some Dolla Dolla Bills. Buy yourselves a nice little island. Create your progressive Utopia. Return in 20 years and let us know how it went.

Yonivore
03-13-2010, 07:19 PM

Get your boy Soros to give you some Dolla Dolla Bills. Buy yourselves a nice little island. Create your Progressive Utopia. Return in 20 years and let us know how it went.
Why would we care how it went?

DMX7
03-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Get your boy Soros to give you some Dolla Dolla Bills. Buy yourselves a nice little island. Create your progressive Utopia. Return in 20 years and let us know how it went.

We already saw what happened when conservatives had their own little paradise, 2000-2008 (the dark years).

Darrin
03-13-2010, 10:48 PM
That has been my conclusion. I don't read any blogs and I don't trust them when someone cites them because it's reading Yonivore. His name says it all--he's got a reputation. I know he's not going to put a positive spin on anything that has a D next to it. That's fine. It is an opinion site.

I am old media. Give me a newspaper link or a cable-news source. I try to treat each news source with skeptism, ask what is in the coverage of a particular topic and what isn't. What question was asked and why? Was it a good question? Was the answer on-topic? Where did I want them to go with the question? How much did I learn? Information--a bill in Congress, or in a crime police reports and depositions--is boiled down to a 1-page summary filtered through a reporter. That leaves out a lot and if most of it is opinion, I learn nothing and become frustrated. If you have an opinion, it better not be "the the devil is at it again, the angel is fighting for me!" You better have more nuance than that or I tune you out. You can dress it up, but a call-girl is still a hooker. You don't get to make up my mind for me.

The job of the media is not to make you smile and laugh and excited. It is to inform. It is school, not recess. I like to cross-reference my news sources to see what details were left out. I like to read 3, 4, 5 days later when it's off the front-page to see what details leaked out. I like watching the talking heads on C-SPAN and the conversations on PBS because the full-sentence is allowed. A paragraph can be said before the moderator talks. I don't need graphics. I don't want sound-effects and lead-in catch-phrases. I want someone to tell me the truth. Boiling down a bill to a summary to a catch-phrase leaves very little nuance. If I come to your opinion, I want it to be because of the information I gathered.

I try to listen to my politicans because we've all gotten to the point we think they are liars, or at least slanted-truthers. People who only tell one side of the story. We don't expect them to be upstanding citizens. We expect them to take a bribe. We expect them to talk in bullet-points and leave out the details, so no need for a follow-up. We expect them to think there is not a good idea on the other side of the aisle and listened to how astonished the talking-heads become when that doesn't happen. In order to hold them to account, you have to have a good standard for what a politician does!

So, think about it. What do you want from your elected leader? Seriously. What do you want to say? What do you want them to do? What does that look like? And when they don't meet that standard, to the road with their careers. Not what policy you would like, but hold them to basic, human decency first.

boutons_deux
03-13-2010, 11:36 PM
"hold them to basic, human decency first"

YES!! Bust into Iraq, grab that oil, waste 4000 US military lives, burn $2T, and get that human decency ball rolling, dude!