PDA

View Full Version : So I got a speeding ticket....

Sense
03-12-2010, 10:50 PM
75 in a 65... and I'm fighting it. The dude "paced" me... what are my chances of winning?

marini martini
03-12-2010, 10:55 PM
He "paced You"??? WTF??? Quit driving on the sidewalk !:lol

Sense
03-12-2010, 10:57 PM
lol.... paced was the term I was given at court. In other words he didn't clock me... instead used his speedometer to pull me over.

Blake
03-12-2010, 11:00 PM
75 in a 65... and I'm fighting it. The dude "paced" me... what are my chances of winning?

were you doing 75 in a 65?

Sense
03-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Technically no.... he estimated really... I was probably doing more or less.

He was speeding.. I got out of the way, I didn't know he was a cop it happened at night and it was a tahoe, and I had my radar on. As soon as I switch lane there's a slower car infront of me so I switch again... to the right and then back to the left. The cop keeps going and gets behind me...

I'm going to say that there wasn't enough time for him to pace me since he caught up with me fast and turned his lights on.

marini martini
03-12-2010, 11:17 PM

He was speeding.. I got out of the way, I didn't know he was a cop it happened at night and it was a tahoe, and I had my radar on. As soon as I switch lane there's a slower car infront of me so I switch again... to the right and then back to the left. The cop keeps going and gets behind me...

I'm going to say that there wasn't enough time for him to pace me since he caught up with me fast and turned his lights on.

"No habla English" always works for me!:toast Unless he's Hispanic, then brush up on your German. "Nicht sprechen zie English"!:tu Ich ben on mine vay to Wurstfest!:lol

Blake
03-12-2010, 11:20 PM

welp, you can fight it and hope he doesnt show.

Vinnie_Johnson
03-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Were you driving a Toyota? If so I have a plan for you.

Sense
03-12-2010, 11:51 PM
no I wasn't...

plan?

Vinnie_Johnson
03-12-2010, 11:57 PM
no I wasn't...

plan?

Sorry need to have a Toyota for it to work a Prius and it's full proof.

marini martini
03-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Were you driving a Toyota? If so I have a plan for you.

no I wasn't...

plan?

Sorry need to have a Toyota for it to work a Prius and it's full proof.

No habla Toyota!!!!

Honda es muy bien!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-13-2010, 12:17 AM
No habla Toyota!!!!

Honda es muy bien!

Maybe Vinnie won't need to pretend... "full proof"... it's "fool proof", you nong! :lmao

marini martini
03-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Who you callin' a nong??? Aushatt!!!:toast

Vinnie_Johnson
03-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Maybe Vinnie won't need to pretend... "full proof"... it's "fool proof", you nong! :lmao

:lol Looks like I am the fool. opps

Trainwreck2100
03-13-2010, 01:41 AM
lol.... paced was the term I was given at court. In other words he didn't clock me... instead used his speedometer to pull me over.

fight it and say there was no radar and an "approximation" isn't exact.

ploto
03-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Might depend how you acted. If you were a jerk, he may show up just for that reason.

silverbora
03-13-2010, 12:31 PM
i had a similar incident happen to me. i ran a yellow light at a 'high rate of speed' and got thrown in jail for reckless driving. i have court next friday to fight the bullshit.

Chomag
03-13-2010, 12:35 PM
the officer prob won't show up in court

if he does, you're fucked

Pretty much this.

thispego
03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
75 in a 65... And i'm fighting it. The dude "paced" me... What are my chances of winning?

that depends... Are you above the law?

desflood
03-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Is it so flippin' difficult to just drive the damn speed limit?

baseline bum
03-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Kind of off topic, but do their radar guns have any kind of memory so the data can be subpoenaed in court? Or are you pretty much fucked in an I said this, pig said that scenario always in court?

Sense
03-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Kind of off topic, but do their radar guns have any kind of memory so the data can be subpoenaed in court? Or are you pretty much fucked in an I said this, pig said that scenario always in court?

I wasn't clocked, but yeah they have calibrations of some sort... and yeah it's pretty much my word against his, or if my story is good enough, and I wasn't a jerk the night I got pulled over

Biernutz
03-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Their speedometers are supposed to be calibrated. If he was in one of the unmarked cars you might ask about the illegal tint on his car windows.

Gerryatrics
03-14-2010, 07:01 AM
There's a reason P71 (Crown Vic) speedometers say Certified Calibration.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1402/671372744_1c1e9d8447.jpg

Mr. Peabody
03-14-2010, 09:57 AM
The fact that he paced you is not that big of a deal. You can prove speeding through pacing or radar. Both are routinely used by traffic officers. Contrary to what others have insinuated, the officer doesn't have to prove an exact speed. All is has to show is that your speed was greater that what was reasonable and prudent for that area. If he can show that you were travelling over the speed limit, at any amount, it is presumed that you were travelling at a speed that was not reasonable and prudent for that area.

bus driver
03-15-2010, 08:48 AM
The fact that he paced you is not that big of a deal. You can prove speeding through pacing or radar. Both are routinely used by traffic officers. Contrary to what others have insinuated, the officer doesn't have to prove an exact speed. All is has to show is that your speed was greater that what was reasonable and prudent for that area. If he can show that you were travelling over the speed limit, at any amount, it is presumed that you were travelling at a speed that was not reasonable and prudent for that area.

A+ Mr. Peabody :clap

the officer prob won't show up in court

if he does, you're fucked

well i dont know the law but this will pretty much sum up your fight in court and remember if you lose you will have to pay court fees as well.

phxspurfan
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Most likely the cop knows the judge so if he shows up to court youll have to pay

RandomGuy
03-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I wasn't clocked, but yeah they have calibrations of some sort... and yeah it's pretty much my word against his, or if my story is good enough, and I wasn't a jerk the night I got pulled over

If you aren't a jerk to the guy, and you delcare yourself not guilty, you have a fair chance of the guy not showing up, either through laziness, or a lack of will on the part of the prosecutor.

J.T.
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm in a similar situation, but with different circumstances. I was ticketed going 45 in a 35 in Kyle. Both streets running perpendicular to the street I was on are 55mph zones so I figured 45 was cool cutting between those streets. I was pulled over by a cop hiding off the side of the road who got me when I braked pretty hard coming up to a stop sign. The thing is... there isn't a speed limit sign posted anywhere on the road that I was pulled over on. I've since gone back and filmed a video starting from when I turned onto the street I was pulled over on all the way till the parking lot I pulled into to deal with the Baconator, and burned it to a DVD. My trial is in a few weeks and I'm assuming since it's shit ass tiny Kyle, the cop is going to show up. Do I have a shot at winning this or am I still basically fucked even though there was no speed limit sign anywhere on that road?

Blake
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm in a similar situation, but with different circumstances. I was ticketed going 45 in a 35 in Kyle. Both streets running perpendicular to the street I was on are 55mph zones so I figured 45 was cool cutting between those streets. I was pulled over by a cop hiding off the side of the road who got me when I braked pretty hard coming up to a stop sign. The thing is... there isn't a speed limit sign posted anywhere on the road that I was pulled over on. I've since gone back and filmed a video starting from when I turned onto the street I was pulled over on all the way till the parking lot I pulled into to deal with the Baconator, and burned it to a DVD. My trial is in a few weeks and I'm assuming since it's shit ass tiny Kyle, the cop is going to show up. Do I have a shot at winning this or am I still basically fucked even though there was no speed limit sign anywhere on that road?

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the maximum speed limit in Texas in a residential is 35mph.......if that's what you were cutting through.

Not sure what good a video at the trial would do you......
my 2 cents....if I were you, if the cop shows up, I'd harp the fact that there's no speed limit sign and the cross traffic is 55, causing you to hurry across the intersection.

howbouthemspurs
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I would fight it. I fought two speeding tickets and won both times. One time the guy didnt show up, and the other time the guy didnt provide enough evidence.. They usually expect you just to pay the fine and not go through all the legal trouble.. thats what most people do.

z0sa
03-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah, fighting it is more than most people attempt.

PM5K
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
there's a slower car infront of me so I switch again... to the right

You passed on the right?

CuckingFunt
03-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Got my first speeding ticket a week ago today. Clocked at 41 on a street marked 25. Oops.

I don't doubt that I was speeding, but I find it hard to believe I was at 41 for longer than a second or two -- it's a fairly hilly/curvy street that doesn't really lend itself to maintaining a consistent speed. It's also odd that he followed me for half a mile, through a 4-way stop, and onto the freeway before pulling me over. But... it is what it is. I have neither the time nor the energy to fight it, so as soon as I get the ticket in the mail I'll just suck it up and pay. And do online traffic school to make sure it doesn't fuck my insurance.

Blake
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Got my first speeding ticket a week ago today. Clocked at 41 on a street marked 25. Oops.

I don't doubt that I was speeding, but I find it hard to believe I was at 41 for longer than a second or two -- it's a fairly hilly/curvy street that doesn't really lend itself to maintaining a consistent speed. It's also odd that he followed me for half a mile, through a 4-way stop, and onto the freeway before pulling me over. But... it is what it is. I have neither the time nor the energy to fight it, so as soon as I get the ticket in the mail I'll just suck it up and pay. And do online traffic school to make sure it doesn't fuck my insurance.

pretty much the only way to go in that case.

it really only pays to fight it if you have the time or the need.

CubanMustGo
03-15-2010, 07:30 PM
You passed on the right?

perfectly OK in Texas, unlike some other states.

exstatic
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
There's a reason P71 (Crown Vic) speedometers say Certified Calibration.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1402/671372744_1c1e9d8447.jpg

So, you tell him you don't have one of those, and that you can only go by your speedo. :)

Frenzy
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Argh I hate when cops speed and tail gate with no sound or lights... then when you don't move they flip on the lights and siren but as soon as they pass you the turn them off. Wtf you idiot that's what the lights and sound on are for... leave them on if you want people out your way.

Sense
03-16-2010, 10:44 PM
You passed on the right?

yeah...

Sense
03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
A+ Mr. Peabody :clap

well i dont know the law but this will pretty much sum up your fight in court and remember if you lose you will have to pay court fees as well.

ugh.... god I hate all these different kind of stupid fees, sure hope the asshole doesn't show up.

Sense
03-16-2010, 10:48 PM

how can he prove pacing?

The Reckoning
03-16-2010, 11:09 PM
i was in my friends car and he got pulled over for a "visual." the cop just saw him going fast and pulled him over right away (the cop was parked) and slapped a reckless driving ticket citing high speed on him. he was going maybe 6 or 7 miles over the speed limit. it sucks because the ticket was in new mexico, so he has to weigh driving all the way to new mexico to fight it or just pay the fine.

Mr. Peabody
03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
how can he prove pacing?

The officer just has to testify that his speedometer is properly calibrated, he drove "x" speed, and the defendant was pulling away from him. It holds up in court all the time.