PDA

View Full Version : question: is malik to green for this season's playoffs?

spectator
03-12-2010, 11:52 PM
i am malik fan; no doubt about it. but even if bogans and rmj (hypothetically) get injured before playoffs, do you think that malik can seriously contribute for another title push?

i did not watch his defense tonight, but i was listening to the radio, and 3 fouls and couple turnovers seem a bit costly; he might help us in the future, but did pop postpone his development this year for too long?

Xevious
03-13-2010, 12:04 AM
... but did pop postpone his development this year for too long?
Yes... but there was a logjam on the perimeter earlier this season. But now that Fin is gone, Mason has all but fallen out of rotation, and Parker is injured, he's playing a few minutes. Though I'd like to see him get more, I don't expect him to get many minutes come playoff time. Parker (health permitting), Ginobili, RJ, and Hill will all get huge minutes, and Bogans will probably claim the rest.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Ugh, I'd give anything to have Malik take all of Bogans minutes

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2010, 12:22 AM
It's too late to have him in the playoff rotation, the refs don't know him, and that's really important in today's NBA..his fouls haven't been a problem in the past though, he learned pretty quickly when he was defending Wilkins again in the 4th, it's an easily fixable thing..kind of funny since he didn't fall for Kevin Martin's fakes, and he's like the ultimate BS full drawer..

Sean Elliott said they want him to play so he can get experience, so he'll probably be in the rotation next season..

Rotations in the playoffs are relatively short, so we aren't going to see too much Mason or Hairston IMO..we're gonna have to live with the Centerpiece..

Big minutes for Duncan, Manu, Parker, Hill, Jefferson and McDyess..a good amount of minutes for Bonner and Bogans..occasional appearance by Blair..that's how it will go in the playoffs IMO..Hairston and Mason will probably only get in when there is foul trouble or the team is desperately in need of a spark of some kind..

I think some people are going to be disappointed with the amount of minutes that Blair gets in the playoffs..

BTW, Hairston shouldn't have been credited for either turnover tonight..kind of stupid that they gave them to him, they were both fumbled on bad passes..

Obstructed_View
03-13-2010, 01:38 AM
It's too late to have him in the playoff rotation, the refs don't know him, and that's really important in today's NBA.

Yep, it's really too late for both him and Mahinmi. I'm still going to be optimistic, but there are just too many opportunities for multiple guys to be in foul trouble due to not having earned respect with the refs, and too many critical junctures going forward.

Does it mean the Spurs will be better off with Bogans and Dice? No, it just means that the Spurs have virtually zero shot of winning a title no matter who they put in there at this point.

jjktkk
03-13-2010, 01:48 AM
It's too late to have him in the playoff rotation, the refs don't know him, and that's really important in today's NBA..his fouls haven't been a problem in the past though, he learned pretty quickly when he was defending Wilkins again in the 4th, it's an easily fixable thing..kind of funny since he didn't fall for Kevin Martin's fakes, and he's like the ultimate BS full drawer..

Sean Elliott said they want him to play so he can get experience, so he'll probably be in the rotation next season..

Rotations in the playoffs are relatively short, so we aren't going to see too much Mason or Hairston IMO..we're gonna have to live with the Centerpiece..

Big minutes for Duncan, Manu, Parker, Hill, Jefferson and McDyess..a good amount of minutes for Bonner and Bogans..occasional appearance by Blair..that's how it will go in the playoffs IMO..Hairston and Mason will probably only get in when there is foul trouble or the team is desperately in need of a spark of some kind..

I think some people are going to be disappointed with the amount of minutes that Blair gets in the playoffs..

BTW, Hairston shouldn't have been credited for either turnover tonight..kind of stupid that they gave them to him, they were both fumbled on bad passes..

90% +1. I'm holding out the other 10% that Hairston not only gets into a playoff game, but makes a big play as well. I like his makeup. He just seems to get it.

Blackjack
03-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Too green?

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac237/ubercomments_backup2/partying/weed/098.gif

No such thing with the THC.:smokin

damn with fresh takes like these, who needs trained professional sports journalists!

Or the E-N for that matter.:tu

Rogue
03-13-2010, 07:18 AM
i am malik fan; no doubt about it. but even if bogans and rmj (hypothetically) get injured before playoffs, do you think that malik can seriously contribute for another title push?

i did not watch his defense tonight, but i was listening to the radio, and 3 fouls and couple turnovers seem a bit costly; he might help us in the future, but did pop postpone his development this year for too long?
Even if Bogans and RDJ both remain healthy till the playoffs I would still consider Malik a better option over them TBH. But the bigger question isn't whom to use in playoffs IMHO. Considering the Spurs current form it now seems more meaningful to discuss our off-season plan rather than the strategy for playoffs, which the Spurs are probably not going to qualify for.

TDMVPDPOY
03-13-2010, 07:41 AM
we cant afford to have hairston havin a career year in the playoffs when we need to resign him on the cheap again for next season

Rummpd
03-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Even if Bogans and RDJ both remain healthy till the playoffs I would still consider Malik a better option over them TBH. But the bigger question isn't whom to use in playoffs IMHO. Considering the Spurs current form it now seems more meaningful to discuss our off-season plan rather than the strategy for playoffs, which the Spurs are probably not going to qualify for.

Too much negativity! The Spurs sit at 38-25 after all the drama and negativity with 19 games left.

The way Manu is playing Spurs are a lock for the playoffs as long as him and Duncan healthy and will go on one of their classic end of season runs amd DESPITE a brutal schedule will go either 12 and 7 for 50 wins or 13-6 for 51 wins and might well leap past the Suns or the Okies- book it

easy7
03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
... But the bigger question isn't whom to use in playoffs IMHO. Considering the Spurs current form it now seems more meaningful to discuss our off-season plan rather than the strategy for playoffs, which the Spurs are probably not going to qualify for.

Are the Mavs fans planning playoff strategies or are they saying "we will choke like we always do?" I rather bet on the Spurs at 8th seed than on the Mavs with the best record on the NBA.

pjjrfan
03-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Tayshauwn Prince sat on the bench most of his rookie year, until the Piston's were left with very few options as they were on their way to getting swept by the Nets in 03, they put Prince in and they found and they knew they had a player, Prince performed and did it well, the same thing happened with George Hill last year, Pop finally relented and stuck him in there and Hill has been on an upswing ever since, I don't thing it's too late ofr Hairston. I hope Pop learned something from last season and will give him some play if RJ, Bogans or Mason stink up the place.

all_heart
03-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I think he'll get a few minutes here and there. It's not like the other players are too reliable to soak up all the minutes. Bogans will get a lot of minutes because of his
"D".

The Truth #6
03-13-2010, 09:43 AM
It's all about the whims of Pop. He seems to like Malik (unlike Ian). If he takes off his beer goggles he might fall out of love with the Centerpiece though all those dunks probably scare Pop that Malik might want to try and score the ball or something. But who knows?

"Anything is possible!!!!!"

PublicOption
03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
he won't get any calls

ohmwrecker
03-13-2010, 02:18 PM

You are an idiot.

quentin_compson
03-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm all for Hairston getting more minutes, but it's not like he was brilliant yesterday. He had two turnovers and three fouls in less than ten minutes. His dunk was nice, but he tried to do too much and ended up getting abused by the likes of Damien Wilkins.

He needs to stay calm, which of course isn't easy for someone who rarely gets to play and wants to get the most out of the small amount of minutes he's granted.

objective
03-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't think Malik's too green to contribute, nor even Mahinmi but it's harder for him because refs will give an unknown inside player a lot less respect than an unknown wing.

The Hill comparisons in this thread are fair, but I'll add some more examples.

Devin Brown in his second NBA year in 04 wasn't getting strings of games with consecutive double digit minutes (meaning he wasn't really in the rotation) until March.

Then in the playoffs he didn't really play in non-blowouts until the 2nd round and was one of the few Spurs to actually show up against the Lakers. The last game he was still putting up a fight with 15, 6, and 3 on 50% shooting before fouling out. He had 16 and 7 on 60% fg in game 3. He was able to contribute in a situation not unlike Malik's: he had been cut his rookie season, came back, worked hard, made the team, and was able to contribute and create an NBA career for himself.

And from last night's game: Damien Wilkins. He was a rookie for Seattle before a hot playoff finish against the Spurs got him that 5 year deal.

That rookie year he didn't even log more than 10 minutes in a single game until March 20th. But he was able to have good games despite sitting most of the year when he did play in late March and into April.

Against the Spurs in the playoffs, he wasn't much of a factor against Sacramento, and didn't even play game 2 against the Spurs. But the last 3 games he was a factor for the Sonics at least, he averaged 30 minutes off the bench for 11 & 5 with some steals and shot 56% from the field. He played so well that the Wolves signed him to a 5 year offer sheet that the Sonics matched. Sure, he probably never played better since then, and his yearly shooting percentages are pretty bad, but for a playoff series, he wasn't too green.

In all the games his rookie year combined before March 20th Wilkins logged only 51 minutes. Malik's already at 123.

ulosturedge
03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
If the FO didn't overstretch in signing the centerpiece, Malik would have been much farther along by now. Either way it's good to see that Pop finally came around in giving Malik some burn. Lets hope he can get enough court time to establish himself as a backup option in the playoffs, and at the same time better establish himself with the refs.

Considering Mason's ineffectiveness, RJ's inconsistency, and Bogan's limited ability, it seemed very predictable that Pop would have no choice but to finally give Malik some looks. Hopefully there is still just enough time to make him of some use in the playoffs. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

TJastal
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I think he'll get a few minutes here and there. It's not like the other players are too reliable to soak up all the minutes. Bogans will get a lot of minutes because of his
"D".

What "D" are you talking about? He made Wayne Ellington look like an all-star last night.

ohmwrecker
03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
What "D" are you talking about? He made Wayne Ellington look like an all-star last night.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Hence the " ".

TJastal
03-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Hence the " ".

Its the internets...maybe...probably your right

who knows lol

TJastal
03-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Watching Bogans put it on the floor and try to create for others makes me cringe. One of Hairston's "turnovers" was because Bogans got hung up in the air and whipped a 60 mph pass from 4 feet away behind his head.

TD 21
03-13-2010, 06:26 PM

That's exactly how I see the playoff rotation shaking down as well.

Pop should go with Blair over Bonner as the third big, but I know he won't. Blair will probably go in for Duncan in the first half and if he struggles (of course this is also predicated on opponent and match-ups) I wouldn't be surprised to see a three big rotation in the second half and possibly some small ball as well.

At least things will be clearly defined, whereas if Finley (and to a lesser extent, Ratliff) were still around you know Pop couldn't help himself once the playoffs started, he'd have to have Finley in the rotation, he'd probably be 50/50 with Blair and Ratliff (either both getting a limited run in a game or one playing a game or two then the other a game or two) and the rotation would be a mess. Now, even if it's not ideal, guys should at least know where they stand, which allows everyone to get into a rhythm.

TJastal
03-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Ian had a few nice drives to the basket last night, I'm really thinking Pop squandered a an opportunity in not developing/playing this kid

objective
03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Ian had a few nice drives to the basket last night,

I'm big on Ian but that T-Wolves game was probably his worst of the season. His defense all around was revolting, he wasn't contesting shots at the rim, he wasn't helping on the shooters coming off of screens, he was weak when surrendering the and-1 on that one play off the turnover, he was pretty bad. Much worse than his other games.