PDA

View Full Version : Pop's message to Hill

silverblackfan
03-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Sorry, for the new thread, but did anyone see the quote by Pop from the Spurs site?
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100312.html

In typical fashion, however, Coach Popovich kept the bar high for his young point guard.

"I want him to be more aggressive," he said. "I want him to take more control, I want him to be telling people where the [heck] to go on the court, I want him to tell me where the [heck] to go, and I want him to start taking over."

-- It cracked me up.

Cane
03-13-2010, 09:43 AM
George Hill has stepped into his shoes and take over leadership of the team.

"He's got the ability to do it," Duncan said. "He just needs the confidence to do it. And obviously he's getting that now from [Coach Popovich]. We're confident in what he can do and with Tony out, we're going to need him to do well. So the ball's in his court, pun intended, and we'll see what happens."

Duncan has a similar attitude it seems. Hill definitely needs to be more aggressive especially when it comes to passing since he's not a natural at making plays. However just like his shooting it can be improved upon and he looks better than last season.

Also good to see that the Spurs won the game despite shooting less than 25% from downtown; the Spurs abused the Wolves inside which is what you want to see.

all_heart
03-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Yea, typical crazy Pop comments. They asked Manu about what Pop said, and he was kinda like, well he's still new, with more experience maybe. I agree, he's got the potential, we just gotta wait and see. The team needs more vocal leaders like Manu. Did anybody notice how Manu gathered the troops after RJ got posterized by Ama're the other day?

SenorSpur
03-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Perhaps if Pop would stop playing him at 2-guard so much, Hill would develop those instincts. It's difficult when he's shuttling back and forth between positions.

DesignatedT
03-13-2010, 10:36 AM
huh? pop is trying to instill confidence in our young players.... this is especially needed with tony out.... yeah hilarious.

lurker23
03-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Pop has always had high standards for Hill, mostly because he sees the potential that is there. Pop knows that Hill is going to have to be a leader of this team; it may be 2-5 years before he has to do it regularly, but some day or another he's going to have to be one of the top vocal and emotional leaders of the Spurs, and they need him to be ready. Is he pushing him a little too hard, too fast? Probably, but it's better to test his mettle and have him ready too soon than have him ready half a season too late when 2013 rolls around.

spursdotcom
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_100312.html

Full quote - "I want him to be more aggressive, I want him to take more control, I want him to be telling people where the hell to go on the court, I want him to tell me where the hell to go, and I want him to start taking over. I want him to be Avery [Johnson]. I realize it will take time, but that is what I want."

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-13-2010, 10:44 AM
hey spurs.com, are there always spurs quotes after away games?

spursdotcom
03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
No, not always. I'd say around half the time. I'll check to see if we can bring that percentage up some though. :toast

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-13-2010, 10:50 AM
No, not always. I'd say around half the time. I'll check to see if we can bring that percentage up some though. :toast

niceee thank you. :D

silverblackfan
03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_100312.html

Full quote - "I want him to be more aggressive, I want him to take more control, I want him to be telling people where the hell to go on the court, I want him to tell me where the hell to go, and I want him to start taking over. I want him to be Avery [Johnson]. I realize it will take time, but that is what I want."

Sorry about that. I liked the comment and the faith that Pop has in Hill. It is nice to see.

spursdotcom
03-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Sorry about that. I liked the comment and the faith that Pop has in Hill. It is nice to see.

Nothing to be sorry for :toast

:flag:

TDMVPDPOY
03-13-2010, 11:46 AM
maybe pop has seen ghills nude pics, go hard or go home?

superbigtime
03-13-2010, 01:02 PM
GH has done very well and I'm always impressed with something he does. This team is under the gun right now and George is responding really well. He had a couple of really nice passes last night. If he keeps that aggressiveness high, he is just such a threat. I think he could be an allstar someday, definitely all D. He has a solid overall game and he's only going to get better.

jayc23
03-13-2010, 03:10 PM
everything with george has always been mental and confidence, if he has his mental shit together, he is unstoppable.

lurker23
03-13-2010, 03:19 PM
everything with george has always been mental and confidence, if he has his mental shit together, he is unstoppable.

jayc23, any idea from your experience whether Pop's techniques work well for Hill? That is, do you think he responds well to Pop pressuring him to be a leader and to excel so early in his career? I'd also ask whether he responds well to "tough love," but based on Pop's comments earlier in the season about George being "his favorite," he might be using a different technique with him, more about building him up without tearing him down so much.

J_Paco
03-13-2010, 03:28 PM
George has all of the tools to become a poor man's version of Rajon Rondo with better offense and less play-making ability. Pop is just trying to instill confidence in the young man, though he's not as hard on George, just like he did with Tony before him. These are the sorts of things I thought Pop would've done with all 4 of the young guys on the team, but he's at least beginning to give Malik the same chance like DeJuan and George.

ulosturedge
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
He is getting there give him time. Get worried when Hill stops getting angry, but even then Pop will be there to be hard on him when he isn't being hard on himself. There isn't any urgency in expediting the development in Hill because we still have Parker. Whenever this situation changes expect Pop to expect more out of Hill. It's apparent that things are already headed in that direction anyways.

raspsa
03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Compared with the way he treated Parker early on, Pop is actually going very easy on Hill. Different strokes for different folks..

Spur|n|Austin
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Sorry, for the new thread, but did anyone see the quote by Pop from the Spurs site?
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100312.html

In typical fashion, however, Coach Popovich kept the bar high for his young point guard.

"I want him to be more aggressive," he said. "I want him to take more control, I want him to be telling people where the [heck] to go on the court, I want him to tell me where the [heck] to go, and I want him to start taking over."

-- It cracked me up.

Which part exactly cracked you up?

timtonymanu
03-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Yea, typical crazy Pop comments. They asked Manu about what Pop said, and he was kinda like, well he's still new, with more experience maybe. I agree, he's got the potential, we just gotta wait and see. The team needs more vocal leaders like Manu. Did anybody notice how Manu gathered the troops after RJ got posterized by Ama're the other day?

even yesterday in the start of the 3rd when the spurs kept fouling, manu gathered everyone and talked to them.