Bruno
03-13-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.basketusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/kevin-seraphin.jpg
Height: 6-10
Weight: 255 lbs
Birthday: 12/07/1989
Team: Cholet
Nationality: French

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Seraphin-5278/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kevin-seraphin)

yavozerb
03-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Found some footage of the kid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lHZveuKK5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-gqYDpM_0

mogrovejo
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Is he entering this year's draft? How is he playing this season? His numbers don't look particularly good. I liked him in the Nike Hoop Summit, still very raw but fairly good athleticism.

What about Antoine Diot? Diot is a very underrated NBA prospect, I think.

Bruno
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Is he entering this year's draft? How is he playing this season? His numbers don't look particularly good. I liked him in the Nike Hoop Summit, still very raw but fairly good athleticism.

What about Antoine Diot? Diot is a very underrated NBA prospect, I think.

Diot, Jackson, Seraphin and Heurtel are all entering in the draft.

yavozerb
03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Of these 3, which do you think has the highest nba potential?

Bruno
03-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Of these 3, which do you think has the highest nba potential?

Seraphin is the one with the most physical upside but he is still raw and has a quite bad season.

I'm not really high on Edwin Jackson. He can score but he is an undersized SG.

Diot is a damn good player. I've a crush on him. I don't know if he will make it in the NBA (he is quite limited athletically-wise) but he will be, at least, a great PG in Europe.

Heurtel isn't NBA material but he is playing well in France.

mogrovejo
03-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I agree with Bruno except I think Diot's athleticism won't be a liability in the NBA - he isn't freakishly explosive or quick, but he's very smooth and fast/efficient moving on the court and has excellent length and size for a guard.

Brazil
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
The french guys called Kevin generation are coming...

mountainballer
05-11-2010, 11:04 AM
DX just wrote an article. they are pretty high on him. moved him up to #23. many other mocks meanwhile see him in the 1st round. (highest I found was #20).
considering that the Spurs drafted 3 guys from France in the last years and had a 4th one on top of their list in 2008, we can assume that they also scouted him intensively.
he isn't a SF. but a very mobile big with huge upside, especially defensively, who could fill the role of a shotblocker and defender of perimeter bigs. (would be the #2 priority on the Spurs list of needs). Spurs could hope that he develops into what they had hoped for Ian. (one thing for sure, he is much stronger than Ian was at that point)

mountainballer
05-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Seraphin measurements from the Nike Hoop Summit 2009:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Nike-Hoop-Summit-Day-One-International-Practices--3169

Height 6' 9" (without shoes)
Wingspan 7' 3"
Weight 258 lbs

this puts him in one size (height without shoes!) and weight category with player like:

Al Jefferson (6' 8.5"; 7' 2.5"; 263)

Emeka Okafor (6' 8.75"; 7' 4"; 257)

Al Horford (6' 8.75"; 7' 0.75", 246)

Dwight Howard (6' 9"; 7' 4.5"; 265)

Nene (6' 9.25"; 7' 4.5"; 253)

pretty good size for a PF, adequate for a center.

kobyz
05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
from his videos he remind Emeka Okafor

DesignatedT
05-11-2010, 07:54 PM
this guy seems very raw.

ChuckD
05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey, great idea! Let's draft some completely unknown French big man and hope he develops. That's fresh!

:lol

BronxCowboy
05-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Unless I'm forgetting, Mahinmi was much more unknown than Seraphin is.

Mr. Body
05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Seraphin = angel

ChuckD
05-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Unless I'm forgetting, Mahinmi was much more unknown than Seraphin is.
Had you heard of Seraphin before this month? The Spurs also intentionally hid Ian. They asked him to skip the Nike Hoop summit and he did. Both are physical specimens with little or no basketball experience in non-elite leagues.

mystargtr34
05-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Damn that Chinese guy at the bottom of the list was 7'0" tall, but had a wingspan of only 6'9" - thats just crazy.

Darthkiller
05-16-2010, 07:44 PM
seraphin is very well known on realgm boards

ChuckD
05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Damn that Chinese guy at the bottom of the list was 7'0" tall, but had a wingspan of only 6'9" - thats just crazy.

Kebin Wirris?

spursballer21
05-16-2010, 08:44 PM
whats the name of that chinise guy
to check if that is true

Ocotillo
05-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Interesting prospect but do the Spurs want to draft a guy that they have to wait 2 or 3 years or more to see if he develops?

TIMMYD!
05-16-2010, 10:32 PM

How the fuck does that happen?

Chieflion
05-16-2010, 10:46 PM

How the fuck does that happen?

Nothing new here, Yao Ming was listed 7 foot 6, then his wingspan was recorded as 7 foot 5, if I remember correctly. The Chinese just do not have long arms. It is genetic.

admiralsnackbar
05-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Nothing new here, Yao Ming was listed 7 foot 6, then his wingspan was recorded as 7 foot 5, if I remember correctly. The Chinese just do not have long arms. It is genetic.

Dumbass. It's not genetic, it's just what it is with the particular that is Yao.

BronxCowboy
05-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Did Seraphin withdraw from the draft or something? nbadraft.net now has him listed in their 2011 mock, not 2010. Anybody see any news?

benefactor
05-18-2010, 05:56 AM
DX still has him listed on their 2010 mock.

wildbill2u
05-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Watching his You Tube vids he has good mobility for a big man with some good footwork on offense and a nice soft hook shot. Can shoot with both hands.

You know how the Spurs hate to spend first round money on an American when they can draft and stash. DX has him at 23 in first round so he'd probably be there when Spurs pick.

Chieflion
05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Dumbass. It's not genetic, it's just what it is with the particular that is Yao.

Yeah, if it wasn't a Chinese telling you that generally, all Chinese have shorter arms than Americans and African-Americans. Dumbass. I face many other Chinese than myself, in comparision to European and Americans, we have shorter arms than you all. And it is genetic. We tend to have a squarish wingspan.

admiralsnackbar
05-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah, if it wasn't a Chinese telling you that generally, all Chinese have shorter arms than Americans and African-Americans. Dumbass. I face many other Chinese than myself, in comparision to European and Americans, we have shorter arms than you all. And it is genetic. We tend to have a squarish wingspan.

I apologize for calling you dumbass -- I was letting off steam after a bad day and you didn't deserve it.

That said, forgive me if I still don't buy it. You're generalizing about the genetic content of a gigantic country which happens to be contiguous (thus sharing genetic information) with Europe. Yao and Yi have longer wingspans than Dwight Howard, who I've never heard accused of having short arms. Neither are Brendan Haywood, but nobody else in the league is, either.

I'm Mexican. I could generalize that we tend to be short genetically, but there are exceptions to the rule, and it is those exceptions that find themselves playing basketball.

ForeignFan
05-20-2010, 06:22 AM
He had 10 pts / 11 rbds / 2 blocks in 20 minutes in the first game of the French league Quarter Finals (yes, I know, playing vs Dijon does not mean that much...)

mogrovejo
05-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I smell a steal.

mogrovejo
05-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I smell a draft steal for someone.

wildbill2u
05-21-2010, 03:06 PM
we're already over the luxury tax limit. If we take an American at #20 we have to pay him a guaranteed salary based on a scale. The Spurs have always HATED to guarantee an unproven player's salary and this would be stacked on top of our high team payroll.

What the Spurs like to do is look for a Euro they can draft and stash if he can't make the team without paying a guarantee. This guy fills the profile.

Bruno
06-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Bad news for Séraphin.

He injured his knee few days ago and it looks serious. First diagnostic is that he is out for at least 3-4 weeks. He had MRI yesterday to know the exact extend of the injury (it could be a torn meniscus or a MCL) but results aren't known for the moment.

Even in the best case scenario of 3-4 weeks out, it means that he won't work out with a single team before the draft. Unless some team promise him a first round pick despite that injury, it looks like he will pull out from the draft before June 14th.

Bruno
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
According to his agent, no decision has been taken for the moment but Séraphin will likely withdraw his name from the draft:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/breves2010/20100604_091906_seraphin-pourrait-renoncer.html

ceperez
06-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Bad news for Séraphin.

He injured his knee few days ago and it looks serious. First diagnostic is that he is out for at least 3-4 weeks. He had MRI yesterday to know the exact extend of the injury (it could be a torn meniscus or a MCL) but results aren't known for the moment.

Even in the best case scenario of 3-4 weeks out, it means that he won't work out with a single team before the draft. Unless some team promise him a first round pick despite that injury, it looks like he will pull out from the draft before June 14th.

If he stays in the draft even after this injury, I guarantee you that if he's available at 20, Spurs will draft him.

Typical Spurs MO to seed rumors about players medical conditions.

BronxCowboy
06-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Why would they draft him if there is a player available who could help now?

yavozerb
06-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Why would they draft him if there is a player available who could help now?

Who do you anticipate may be around at #20 that may help?

BronxCowboy
06-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Who do you anticipate may be around at #20 that may help?

I'm not sure there will be. I was just responding to this:

If he stays in the draft even after this injury, I guarantee you that if he's available at 20, Spurs will draft him.

My point is that there are too many variables to be so sure of that. What if Luke Babbitt or Paul George falls? Somebody like Quincy Pondexter (or Damion James?) may be able to get on the floor right away for his defense. A number of shooters could potentially be available at the SG position, mostly undersized, but still...

Bruno
06-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Typical Spurs MO to seed rumors about players medical conditions.

No, you're wrong.

It isn't some kind of obscure injury that happens in a workout. This injury happens during a French league game where he banged his knee with another player. He left the game after that and hasn't played with his team since that.

It's a legit injury, there is nothing strange behind it.

Brazil
06-05-2010, 10:01 AM
It's in French but some words of his agent:

«Nous sommes rassurés, car ce ne sont pas les ligaments croisés, explique son agent, Bouna N’Diaye, dans L’Equipe. Nous sommes aujourd'hui dans l'observation de l'évolution de sa blessure et on discute avec les équipes NBA. Mais ce n'est jamais facile de drafter un joueur blessé. Aucune décision n'a été prise pour le moment, mais il y a de grandes chances que Kévin attende l'année prochaine.»

Basically he is saying they are talking to nba teams but it is not easy to draft an injured player. No decision has been taking but there are big chances to see Kevin waiting next year.

ceperez
06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
No, you're wrong.

It isn't some kind of obscure injury that happens in a workout. This injury happens during a French league game where he banged his knee with another player. He left the game after that and hasn't played with his team since that.

It's a legit injury, there is nothing strange behind it.

as legit maybe as batum's heart problem?

Bruno
06-06-2010, 01:39 AM
as legit maybe as batum's heart problem?

So because Spurs do a trick around Batum's heart problem, every time a draftee player is injured, it's a fake injury and it's a Spurs move ?

There is nothing strange around Séraphin injury, it's legit. There is no way it's a fake one. If you want to think there is a "strange" injury, look at Elli0t Williams case.

ceperez
06-06-2010, 06:40 AM
So because Spurs do a trick around Batum's heart problem, every time a draftee player is injured, it's a fake injury and it's a Spurs move ?

There is nothing strange around Séraphin injury, it's legit. There is no way it's a fake one. If you want to think there is a "strange" injury, look at Elli0t Williams case.

I'm just saying that there's a high probability its a Spurs move (though I can't rule out that its some other team).

Yes, the Elli0t Williams case is also suspicious.

So unless you happen to be the team with the inside information, you aren't about to gamble a low first round pick on any of these two players.

I still cling to the belief however that in 2008, the Spurs first choice was Batum (w/c either the Trailblazers or Spurs were gaming) and we were expecting to get Hill in the second round (the Dragic pick).

This year, the Spurs have one good pick at 20 and the other would likely be a pick that nobody is expecting (w/c I guess is typical of the 2nd round).

Bruno
06-06-2010, 07:27 AM
I'm just saying that there's a high probability its a Spurs move (though I can't rule out that its some other team).

I've understood what you're saying and I'm explaining that you that you're wrong and it's just impossible that Spurs or another NBA team is behind Séraphin injury.

Séraphin injured his knee during a game by banging his knee with another player. Tons of people, in the attendance or who where watching the TV, saw this injury. After the game, he had a MRI to confirm the injury.

And yes, Batum was Spurs' first choice in 2008. It has been confirmed by multiple sources.

ceperez
06-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I've understood what you're saying and I'm explaining that you that you're wrong and it's just impossible that Spurs or another NBA team is behind Séraphin injury.

Séraphin injured his knee during a game by banging his knee with another player. Tons of people, in the attendance or who where watching the TV, saw this injury. After the game, he had a MRI to confirm the injury.

And yes, Batum was Spurs' first choice in 2008. It has been confirmed by multiple sources.

Yes, maybe injury is legit. However, like I said, if he doesn't withdraw, then I'm suspicious.

benefactor
06-07-2010, 07:29 AM
DX twitter:

Kevin Seraphin is in Treviso getting measured. Came out 6-9 in shoes, 264, w/7-3 wingspan, 9-1 standing reach. Walking normal, knee is fine.

Perhaps he will stay in after all.

mathbzh
06-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Yes, maybe injury is legit. However, like I said, if he doesn't withdraw, then I'm suspicious.

He has been scouted by a lot of teams. He was ranked fairly high in the mock draft. It is not like he is a best kept secret.
If a team really wants him at the end of the first round why wouldn't they give him some insurance if there is no worry about the injury?
I don't see a player missing the final (even if it is only the French league) just to avoid being picked too early.
And as a big man, may be he would be smart to avoid being drafted by "contender" (not sure the Spurs still are).

For Seraphin, if there is something to learn from the Mahinmi situation, it is probably that athletic player needing PT to learn the game should not play for the Spurs.

Bruno
06-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Cholet has still one game left with the final on June 13th. It's one day before the withdrawal deadline for international player. If Séraphin is healthy enough, he could play this game and gives the best proof this injury isn't serious to NBA teams.

Mel_13
06-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Kevin Seraphin is in Treviso getting measured. Came out 6-9 in shoes, 264, w/7-3 wingspan, 9-1 standing reach. Walking normal, knee is fine.

http://twitter.com/draftexpress

Bruno
06-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Séraphin didn't play today's french league final but he has decided to stay in the draft. I guess a team made him a first round pick promise.

Brazil
06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Just to confirm what Bruno announced from a french sport website through ESPN

Séraphin à la draft

Kévin Séraphin devrait bien se présenter à la draft 2010.

Absent de la finale de Pro A remportée par son club de Cholet pour cause de blessure, Kévin Séraphin sera bien à New York le 24 juin prochain pour la draft. Selon une information d’ESPN relayée par Basketnews, le pivot des Mauges pourrait être choisi au premier tour, entre la 22e et la 26e place. Le Villeurbannais Thomas Heurtel, récemment élu MVP du camp de Trévise, maintient également sa candidature, à l’inverse d’Antoine Diot qui préfère attendre une année supplémentaire.

They said Kevin could be chosen between 22th and 26th, Thomas Heurtel will also be present. Diot won't make it this year.

Bruno
06-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Séraphin will work out for Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Toronto, Atlanta et Washington.

Nothing planed with Spurs.

duncan228
06-23-2010, 05:13 PM
2010 NBA Mock Draft: Version 3.0 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/06/23/mock.draft2/index.html)
Ian Thomsen
SI.com

20 PF/C Kevin Seraphin Cholet (France) -- 6-10 258

The French big man has had injury problems and he's raw, but he has size, length and strength for a team that is seeking to develop young talent for life after Tim Duncan. They'll hope he reacts positively and conforms to the work ethic intrinsic to the Spurs' organization.

Brazil
06-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Maybe the thunder will use their 18th pick to get Seraphin, I think he would be a good fit for them