PublicOption
03-13-2010, 05:19 PM
why

Libri
03-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the update.

galvatron3000
03-13-2010, 05:20 PM
well they seem to be preparing for next year early. Wish Pop believef=d in young dude enough to play them but since he doesn't I can't care much.

Mel_13
03-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Interesting. Spending money they don't have to spend.

They have 6 games in the next 10 days, so he at least provides some injury insurance.

Plus you have to figure that sooner or later they'll sign a wing to a contract for the remainder of the season to lock up an option for SL, training camp, and a potential roster spot for next year.

ElNono
03-13-2010, 05:28 PM
It's probably so Centerpiece doesn't have to play in garbage time if we blow out another team... he's too important to get injured while playing with scrubs...

Libri
03-13-2010, 05:34 PM
It looks like scoring is not his strong suit. The Spurs are probably curious about his defensive abilities.

ohmwrecker
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
It looks like scoring is not his strong suit. The Spurs are probably curious about his defensive abilities.

Maybe Bogans is not Bowen's heir apparent after all.

Kobe Molested Me
03-13-2010, 05:42 PM
You guys got a really good player. This dude hustles, attacks the basket, and can shoot the three. Rocket fans were really impressed with this guy.

raspsa
03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Some info on the guy.
There is very little not to like about Temple in terms of natural physical gifts. He has outstanding size for a guard coupled with an enormous wingspan. He also has fairly smooth (although not freakish) athleticism, although his frame and overall bulk leave a lot to be desired.

The bulk of Temple's scoring comes via transition, largely in part because he is so unassertive in half-court sets. He runs the pick and roll awfully well for a big guard, making good decisions and coming off of screens close in order to exert maximum effort out of the defense. Passing is an area that he certainly excels in, producing a nice assist to turnover ratio and assist numbers fairly uncommon for someone standing 6'6.

..he is an incredibly limited offensive player, producing the second worst scoring rate of any player in our NCAA database.

Beyond being extremely passive, Temple is also incredibly left hand dominant, driving left 90 percent of the time..makes him quite predictable to guard. His shooting mechanics are very inconsistent ... he often lacks the strength to finish around the rim due to his poor frame.

Temple is a stud on the defensive end, however. His enormous wingspan and solid quickness allow him to get out in the passing lanes and create a ton of deflections. Able to stay in front of his man laterally, his length enables him to block a substantial number of shots for a player playing the guard position. Defensive potential is without a doubt one of the main selling points of Temple as a prospect.

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-13-2010, 05:49 PM
RCzCMfBfGYo
1o9egGaldAY

AFE7FATMAN
03-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Another freaking guard

biba
03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Garrett Temple Explains the Life of a D-League Call-Up
SportingNews Mar 2, 1:16 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-garretttempleexplain&prov=tsn&type=lgns

This is not major NBA news, but bear with me for a minute. The Rockets signed D-League all-time scoring champion Will Conroy(notes) to a second 10-day contract yesterday. The roster spot only opened because Garrett Temple(notes), another D-League alumnus, had come to the end of his second 10-day deal and would not be signed for the remainder of the season.

Temple is taking it in stride and had this to say to the Houston Chronicle’s Jonathan Feigen:

“I think I wasn’t here just playing for the Rockets, even though I was here,” he said. “It was more of an audition for the rest of the league.”

Temple is among several players mentioned in connection with Portland.

We have a tendency to see a D-League call-up as validation of a player’s skills, and in a way it is. But in the grand scheme of things, a call-up is just another step on the journey to becoming a career-long NBA player.

As Temple notes here, he knew that he didn’t have a permanent job in Houston and instead used it as an opportunity to show that he deserves another shot in the league. Portland is interested, it seems, and he may go on and perform well for the Blazers. If that doesn’t work out, maybe another team will show interest, or he’ll return to the NBDL. Then, once the season ends, he’ll latch onto a summer league team and see what happens.

Temple’s future is unclear, but he’s being realistic about the situation. Everything is another opportunity, and nothing a clear destination.

raspsa
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the videos.. apparently he's worked on his game and can finish strong at the rim nowadays. Supposedly his 3-point stroke has improved as well. If his passing and defense are as advertised, he could come in useful.

biba
03-13-2010, 06:05 PM
And this:

Senior guard Garrett Temple is leaving lasting imprint on LSU basketball program
By Bill Baker March 03, 2009, 11:30PM
http://blog.nola.com/lsusports/2009/03/senior_guard_garrett_temple_is.html

BATON ROUGE -- If it seems that LSU guard Garrett Temple has been playing at LSU for more than four years, there's a reason for it.

Temple will become the all-time leader in minutes played at LSU if he gets 37 tonight against Vanderbilt.

Seniors Marcus Thornton, Chris Johnson, Quintin Thornton and Terry Martin will be honored, along with Temple, in a ceremony that starts at 6:45 p.m. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.

More than likely Temple's playing-time record, which underscores his impact on the LSU program, will happen when LSU plays at Auburn on Saturday.

Temple's value requires skipping right past scoring exploits. Even after starting 125 of 128 games, he may not get within 100 points of 1,000.

But Temple made his mark early as a top-notch defender and a do-the-dirty-work player. He is the only player in LSU history in the top 10 in career assists, steals and blocked shots. His 4,240 minutes played are exceeded only by Howard Carter (4,276) and Torris Bright (4,250).

Bottom-line results? He is one of nine LSU players to start for two SEC championship teams, and he started as a freshman on LSU's 2006 Final Four team.

Tigers fans may not realize how much they will miss him.

"To play that amount of minutes has been a blessing for me, " Temple said. "I really didn't think I'd be able to start all four years and contribute as I have. I'm glad I had the opportunity.

"I never had to score. I was always on teams with guys that could score. I made my presence felt on defense."

Temple, who redshirted his first season at LSU, earned his reputation early, shutting down Duke sharpshooter J.J. Redick in the 2006 NCAA regional semifinals. He regularly guards the opposition's top perimeter player, though he can guard a multitude of player types.

Johnson said Temple can guard "1s, 2s, 3s and sometimes 4s."

"That's probably the hardest thing to do (play defense) in sports in general, " LSU Coach Trent Johnson said. "Everybody wants to score, make the great pass, make the 3-pointer. But defense, that's doing the little things, which I really think are things that put you in situations to win games. That comes from heart and desire, understanding your role."

Temple has played a big role this season in switching from point guard to the wing, without the slightest complaint, and he's prospering from the move. His 3-point shooting has improved; he has topped his previous high in steals; and he is likely to surpass his best seasons in assists, rebounds and blocked shots.

Best of all, he made the transition to a new coach easy. Once Temple bought in to Johnson's dictums, the rest of the team followed.

"He's important to the team on and off the court, " Martin said. "He keeps everybody in line. Some guys are scared to speak up at times. He speaks up: 'Everybody dress up, tuck your shirts in.' He says the right things at the right times. The small things he does help us a lot. He keeps everybody focused."

LSU this season is a team of role players that maximizes its strengths and minimizes its weaknesses while finding different ways to win.

"We bought into it, and everybody had the same goal -- winning, " Temple said. "Nobody had an agenda."

There will be a little something different thrown into the mix tonight, however.

"There's going to be a lot of emotions, " Temple said. "I just hope we can get ready and get it out of the way, and go play the game. You can't say how it's going to feel until it happens."

. . . . . . .

Jim Kleinpeter can be reached at [email protected] 504.826.3405.

Chomag
03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Another guard really?... I wonder if Spurs are just getting ready for life after TD and will just go all guards.

Bartleby
03-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Temple made his mark early as a top-notch defender and a do-the-dirty-work player. He is the only player in LSU history in the top 10 in career assists, steals and blocked shots.

Temple, who redshirted his first season at LSU, earned his reputation early, shutting down Duke sharpshooter J.J. Redick in the 2006 NCAA regional semifinals. He regularly guards the opposition's top perimeter player, though he can guard a multitude of player types.

Johnson said Temple can guard "1s, 2s, 3s and sometimes 4s."

Interesting.

mogrovejo
03-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Ahahaha

Screw Shakur or Antonio Daniels. Coby Karl or guys who at least play good defense like Garret Temple and Cedric Jackson are better than Shakur. I'd even rather wait for Conroy or call-up a guy who already know the Spurs, like Farmer.

I got not one, but the two call-ups right. Is anyone from the Spurs FO reading this forum? In any case, I have to praise their talent evaluation skills. :toast

Here's what I additionally wrote about Temple:

Temple at least have potential as a big time perimeter stopper and I liked his composure when I saw him playing even for the Rockets.

This kid has some realizable potential. I like him better than Jackson as a long term prospect, to be honest. More to come, including a detailed scouting report, in the Official D-League thread.

TJastal
03-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Don't like him, and he just adds to the glut of guards. Stupid signing.

angelbelow
03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Ahahaha

I got not one, but the two call-ups right. Is anyone from the Spurs FO reading this forum? In any case, I have to praise their talent evaluation skills. :toast

Here's what I additionally wrote about Temple:

Temple at least have potential as a big time perimeter stopper and I liked his composure when I saw him playing even for the Rockets.

This kid has some realizable potential. I like him better than Jackson as a long term prospect, to be honest. More to come, including a detailed scouting report, in the Official D-League thread.

solid work

Bruno
03-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Surprising move.

The good news is that this signing mean that Spurs aren't in full "save money" mode. Between the salary and the luxury tax, they will spend $75K while they didn't have to.

I don't know Temple but he has signed 3 10 days contract (2 with rockets and 1 with Kings). I guess he is an intriguing prospect.

I'm also a little puzzled towards Hairston. Both Temple and Hairston are defensive minded SG. Have Spurs sign Temple only because they like him or is it also because they have some doubts about Hairston?

TJastal
03-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Surprising move.

The good news is that this signing mean that Spurs aren't in full "save money" mode. Between the salary and the luxury tax, they will spend $75K while they didn't have to.

I don't know Temple but he has signed 3 10 days contract (2 with rockets and 1 with Kings). I guess he is an intriguing prospect.

I'm also a little puzzled towards Hairston. Both Temple and Hairston are defensive minded SG. Have Spurs sign Temple only because they like him or is it also because they have some doubts about Hairston?

It's a clusterfuck w/ Bogans in the mix too. Pop won't spend the extra $$ to keep a promising 7 foot big man but he'll pony up to keep yet another shooting guard (and what looks like a shitty one at that)

jjktkk
03-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Surprising move.

Pop and RC probably had their eye on this guy for awhile and probably want to have a 1st hand look at Temple and see if hes worth bringing to the Summer league team this Summer. Temple and Hairston are SG, but Hairston has a much bigger body. Temple's built like a twig, but hes a hellua of defender. The Spurs, with the recent signings of Jackson and Temple, seem to be making a conscious effort to starting churning the bottom of the roster and evaluating younger players.

mogrovejo
03-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I think the Spurs want to sign a defensive minded guard till the end of the season and didn't want to lose the opportunity of having Temple for an extended try-out - I'm pretty sure other teams were already considering to give him a call-up.

So, basically the Spurs will have Jackson and Temple competing for one spot during the next week and then keep one of them till the end of the season (or, if both suck, look for another guy).

Temple is more of a 1/2 than a wing like Hairston. He's also much quicker laterally. I think that with a little experience he'll be able to keep NBA PGs between his knees as well as anybody.

rayray2k8
03-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks SDC!

Watch the express came out 2 days later on the signing with quotes from the internet.

TimDunkem
03-13-2010, 06:57 PM
why
Because they can?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I like this guy. He played very well in college. Defends like a mofo. Don't know about his offensive and ball handling capabilities being nba-ready but he has the potential makeup of a spur.

timtonymanu
03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Spurs picked up two defensive minded guards. My dream is that one of them will keep Mason in the inactive list.

jjktkk
03-13-2010, 07:06 PM
It's a clusterfuck w/ Bogans in the mix too. Pop won't spend the extra $$ to keep a promising 7 foot big man but he'll pony up to keep yet another shooting guard (and what looks like a shitty one at that)

Promising 7 foot big man? You mean Ratliff? I doubt Pop's losing any sleep over trading away their 4th string big man. Don't read into the signings of Temple and Jackson too much. Pop is just filling out the bottom of the roster, and evaluating these 2 guys, to see if their worth bringing into the Summer league team and maybe training camp. Jackson and Temple both are defensive-minded players, which of course is what Pop values in a player.

exstatic
03-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Surprising move.

If it is in fact for next, year, they'll have to replace Mason on the roster. Wouldn't affect Hairston one way or another.

TJastal
03-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Promising 7 foot big man? You mean Ratliff? I doubt Pop's losing any sleep over trading away their 4th string big man. Don't read into the signings of Temple and Jackson too much. Pop is just filling out the bottom of the roster, and evaluating these 2 guys, to see if their worth bringing into the Summer league team and maybe training camp. Jackson and Temple both are defensive-minded players, which of course is what Pop values in a player.

You're too funny. I'm going to be laughing my ass off when Mahinmi catches on somewhere and develops into a solid nba player.

He must be too tall for Pop's small ball lineups, but Temple should fit right into Pop's future 4 guard + 1 undersized power forward future lineups.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
If it is in fact for next, year, they'll have to replace Mason on the roster. Wouldn't affect Hairston one way or another.

+1..

It seems like they're high on Hairston, I doubt this affects him..

Like exstatic said here, the Spurs are going to have some holes on the roster next year..with having to pay Manu and then wanting to pay Splitter, the roster will need some cheap options to fill it out..it makes sense to look at some of these guys for next year..

I like that they're looking at a guy like this though..good sign that the Spurs are finally looking at athletes and going back to the defensive mindset..

exstatic
03-13-2010, 07:17 PM

It's not really a surprise when you use your noodle just a little. There are three small/wing spots on the team, and only two big spots, one of which is manned by Tim, and then throw in small ball time. We need more wings and guards than anything else.

Manu is getting up there, Mason is as good as gone, and Finley's already gone. Our big situtation is much more stable with Tim, Dice, and Blair.

TJastal
03-13-2010, 07:21 PM
It's not really a surprise when you use your noodle just a little. There are three small/wing spots on the team, and only two big spots, one of which is manned by Tim, and then throw in small ball time. We need more wings and guards than anything else.

Manu is getting up there, Mason is as good as gone, and Finley's already gone. Our big situtation is much more stable with Tim, Dice, and Blair.

So you're saying we need Manu insurance because he's "getting up there" yet we don't with Duncan and Dice?

raspsa
03-13-2010, 07:26 PM
if Pop wants to shore up his perimeter defense, this probably makes sense. The guy seems to have a strong defensive background from college days but has since developed his offense as well... but no doubt its the defensive qualities that attracted Pop's attention. I think we'll get to see him in action in the Clippers game if the Spurs can get a nice lead.

ChumpDumper
03-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I like Temple. The Rockets (through the Vipers' staff) were trying to make Temple a point guard with wildly inconsistent results. It worked out much better when they moved him to off guard. Very good defender. Decent handler and passer. Streaky shooter. Might as well audition roster replacements for Bogans and Mason now.

Looks like the Spurs are putting an emphasis on coachable system players rather than just looking for those with the most upside. That's as good a strategy as any, I suppose.

I guess one might complain about its being another guard, but there really aren't that many overly impressive big men in the D-League right now.

Bruno
03-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Spurs will go after a shooter to replace Mason.

TJastal
03-13-2010, 07:42 PM
lol @ popsuckers justifying this

If Pop was truly serious about refocusing on defense then he would have kept Ratliff and started developing Ian this year.

This is just another small ball player that Pop can use to satisfy his craving for small balls. :lol

Pop is becoming the yin to Nellies' wang .. both like small balls but Nellie likes em even if they can't play a lick of defense and Pop is becoming just the opposite.

Crosherelooms
03-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Sounds like somebody has a thing for men's balls.

Bukefal
03-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Wow, that's interesting.

Thanks for the vids

ChumpDumper
03-13-2010, 07:46 PM
lol @ popsuckers justifying this

If Pop was truly serious about refocusing on defense then he would have kept Ratliff and started developing Ian this year.

This is just another small ball player that Pop can use to satisfy his craving for small balls. :lol

Pop is becoming the yin to Nellies' wang .. both like small balls but Nellie likes em even if they can't play a lick of defense and Pop is becoming just the opposite.What is there to justify? There will be open roster spots next season and now is the time to try out some D-Leaguers to lock in a couple for the summer and/or training camp.

What part of that do you not understand?

TJastal
03-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Sounds like somebody has a thing for men's balls.

ok troll #282

:lol

TJastal
03-13-2010, 08:01 PM
What is there to justify? There will be open roster spots next season and now is the time to try out some D-Leaguers to lock in a couple for the summer and/or training camp.

What part of that do you not understand?

So invite them to summer camp next year, why the hell do they need to play garbage minutes now? What is Pop hoping to see other than guys who have no idea wtf they're doing out there?

This is beyond full retard mode.

With little more than a month left in the season at a critical juncture with teams still jostling for important playoff position and Pop is dicking around with D league scrubs that are probably going to see little to no time, esp once the spurs get into the teeth of the schedule here in less than a few days.

Just boggles the mind.

ducks
03-13-2010, 08:17 PM
it is better to play them in garbage time then mason
we know he sucks this year

benefactor
03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
So invite them to summer camp next year, why the hell do they need to play garbage minutes now? What is Pop hoping to see other than guys who have no idea wtf they're doing out there?

With little more than a month left in the season at a critical juncture with teams still jostling for important playoff position and Pop is dicking around with D league scrubs that are probably going to see little to no time, esp once the spurs get into the teeth of the schedule here in less than a few days.

Just boggles the mind.
Does the Spurs playoff position really matter? If you think they have a chance in hell to do anything meaningful this post season it's time for you to wake up and join the rest of us in reality.

They will have holes all over the roster next year and as CD said, there isn't really any bigs in the D-League worth looking at. If the Spurs plan on resigning Manu and using the MLE on another player then they will need to find role players that they can put on cheap contracts to fill out the rest of the roster. This is a way for them to get a look at them now so they can see if it will be worth the time and money to sign them for camp and possibly beyond.

SenorSpur
03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Looks like Pop is suddenly focusing his search for the heir apparent to Bowen.

toki9
03-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Mini-Centerpiece?

TJastal
03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Does the Spurs playoff position really matter? If you think they have a chance in hell to do anything meaningful this post season it's time for you to wake up and join the rest of us in reality.

They will have holes all over the roster next year and as CD said, there isn't really any bigs in the D-League worth looking at. If the Spurs plan on resigning Manu and using the MLE on another player then they will need to find role players that they can put on cheap contracts to fill out the rest of the roster. This is a way for them to get a look at them now so they can see if it will be worth the time and money to sign them for camp and possibly beyond.

I'm not conceding this year as long as Parker can make a return by playoff time @ 100%. This very well be the last time we see a big 3 that is all healthy and playing well. It may sound cliche but with a healthy big 3 "anything is possible"

I agree there will be holes in the roster next year esp if Pop doesn't plan on resigning Mason (which would be a mistake). I just don't think that now is the time to be trying to evaluate new players.

As far as bigs go, I don't think it would matter if there were good prospects in the pipeline or not. I think it is pretty clear we can look forward to more small ball lineups next year since Ian's option wasn't picked up and Pop can't even wait till this summer to get his jollies off seeing another small ball option.

dbestpro
03-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Malik better stay agressive. He can't afford another lackluster performance like the last game. When he gets his chance he needs to come with it.

ace3g
03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
they said when Temple plays it will be the first Father / Son duo to play for the Spurs

ace3g
03-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Temple was selected by the Phoenix Suns with the 94th pick of the 1974 NBA Draft. He never played in the NBA, but spent one season (1974–75) with the San Antonio Spurs of the American Basketball Association. He averaged 1.8 points and 1.3 rebounds in 24 games.[3]

Temple's sons Collis III and Garrett Temple both played at LSU

from Temple wikipedia

Johnny RIngo
03-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Spurs picked up two defensive minded guards. My dream is that one of them will keep Mason in the inactive list.

You forgot about Bogans. He really doesn't deserve any playing time.

ace3g
03-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Bogans ruined having 2 straight nights where everyone scores

ace3g
03-13-2010, 11:14 PM
but he didn't score tonight

timtonymanu
03-13-2010, 11:15 PM
but he didn't score tonight

oh my bad i misread your post the first time.

Blackjack
03-14-2010, 12:39 AM
I've really liked Temple; solid pick up.:tu

His addition is in no way detrimental to Hairston, IMO. Temple's a system type of player that fits the mold of the 'Centerpiece' Pop's referred to, and he could very well turn into a Raja-type; Hairston is a more talented utility player that's much more of a wing.

I've made mention of Malik maybe being more of a luxury player than one of necessity ... and that could very well be the case (but it'd be a luxury you hold on to since it's not costing you anything else).

If anyone should be worried, you'd think it'd be Bogans.

anakha
03-14-2010, 02:04 AM
I really don't get why some people are bitching over this move. Seriously.

BillMc
03-14-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm up for the Spurs taking a look at any young guy who can play D. They should always be looking to add a piece, and a 10-Contract is a nice way to evaluate them.

ChumpDumper
03-14-2010, 04:32 AM
I'm not conceding this year as long as Parker can make a return by playoff time @ 100%. This very well be the last time we see a big 3 that is all healthy and playing well. It may sound cliche but with a healthy big 3 "anything is possible"Nah, you conceded this year once the fantasy Tyrus Thomas trade didn't happen.

I agree there will be holes in the roster next year esp if Pop doesn't plan on resigning Mason (which would be a mistake). I just don't think that now is the time to be trying to evaluate new players.Why not? There are open roster spots and other teams have not hesitated to sign the other top D-League players. These spots are going to be open no matter what happens this season.

As far as bigs go, I don't think it would matter if there were good prospects in the pipeline or not. I think it is pretty clear we can look forward to more small ball lineups next year since Ian's option wasn't picked up and Pop can't even wait till this summer to get his jollies off seeing another small ball option.But you haven't conceded the season, right?

jjktkk
03-14-2010, 04:41 AM
You're too funny. I'm going to be laughing my ass off when Mahinmi catches on somewhere and develops into a solid nba player.

He must be too tall for Pop's small ball lineups, but Temple should fit right into Pop's future 4 guard + 1 undersized power forward future lineups.

Yea TJastal, I'm equally laughing my ass off at you and other others who think Mahimni is gonna bust out next year for some other team. By other team, I mean an NBA team, and not if hes riding the bench like he is currently doing with the Spurs. I got my crow waiting for yea. :toast

jjktkk
03-14-2010, 04:47 AM
I really don't get why some people are bitching over this move. Seriously.

Yea I know. I guess some of the tools on here that think they know how to evaluate talent better than Pop just feel the need to get their 2 cents in.

jjktkk
03-14-2010, 04:54 AM
So you're saying we need Manu insurance because he's "getting up there" yet we don't with Duncan and Dice?

:rolleyes No TJastal because Pop knows hes got an a all-star in waiting in Mahimni next year and hes hoping to trade his 1st round pick this Summer for your "promising 7 footer" Ratliff. See no worries for you TJastal, pops got it covered.

jjktkk
03-14-2010, 05:00 AM

Just boggles the mind.

It doesn't seem to take a whole lot to boggle your mind TJastal. Were talking about end of the bench players who are young and have potential in the future because of their defensive skills and might be able to land a roster spot down the road. OMG, do you actually think Pop is looking to sign someone this late in the season to put in his playoff rotation, if in fact the Spurs make the playoffs? Now that there is some mind boggling my friend.

TJastal
03-14-2010, 05:13 AM
It doesn't seem to take a whole lot to boggle your mind TJastal. Were talking about end of the bench players who are young and have potential in the future because of their defensive skills and might be able to land a roster spot down the road. OMG, do you actually think Pop is looking to sign someone this late in the season to put in his playoff rotation, if in fact the Spurs make the playoffs? Now that there is some mind boggling my friend.

So what is the point of having him sitting on the end of the bench again, exactly? He's not going to play much if at all the rest of this season.

Is he going to sit on Pop's lap while Pop tells him bedtime stories during timeouts?

TJastal
03-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Nah, you conceded this year once the fantasy Tyrus Thomas trade didn't happen.

Why not? There are open roster spots and other teams have not hesitated to sign the other top D-League players. These spots are going to be open no matter what happens this season.

But you haven't conceded the season, right?

I haven't conceded anything. Just because I wanted a trade that didn't materialize doesn't mean I have given up. When did I ever say I conceded the year? :p

And I just don't see the need for signing Garret Temple to a 10 day contract to sit on the bench but whatever. If Pop needs someone to sit on his lap for bedtime stories more power to him.

ChumpDumper
03-14-2010, 05:31 AM
I haven't conceded anything. Just because I wanted a trade that didn't materialize doesn't mean I have given up. When did I ever say I conceded the year? :pYou could have fooled us.

And I just don't see the need for signing Garret Temple to a 10 day contract to sit on the bench but whatever. If Pop needs someone to sit on his lap for bedtime stories more power to him.So you want to do what? Nothing except complain about the coach? Very forward thinking of you.

Lars
03-14-2010, 05:34 AM
Temple is a really nice player. He is huge for a PG and has really solid D. He can also run and dunk like nobodies business. His FT% sucks though.

raspsa
03-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Temple has a nice stroke from the 3-point area, a soft, high arcing shot.. he had one D-league game where he was 7-for-7 from long-range.. can hardly wait for him to see some action.
sIC_W27ghnA

TJastal
03-14-2010, 05:54 AM
You could have fooled us.

So you want to do what? Nothing except complain about the coach? Very forward thinking of you.

Wow get over it. I'm not the only person on this forum that has veto'd a Pop move.

So only popsuckers who praise every decision and worships on the altar of Pop's loins are allowed to post?

ChumpDumper
03-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Wow get over it. I'm not the only person on this forum that has veto'd a Pop move.You should follow your own advice about getting over it. Get over the fantasy Tyrus trade. There was no way it was going to happen.

So only popsuckers who praise every decision and worships on the altar of Pop's loins are allowed to post?Not at all. You can whine all you want. Don't whine more when someone notices it.

TJastal
03-14-2010, 06:07 AM
You should follow your own advice about getting over it. Get over the fantasy Tyrus trade. There was no way it was going to happen.

Not at all. You can whine all you want. Don't whine more when someone notices it.

At least I'm grousing over fairly current events. That guy who thought the spurs should have drafted Glen Rice instead of Sean Ell1ot a couple decades ago is the one who ought to get over it huh? Funny you didn't get all testy over that.

If I'm still grousing about Tyrus Thomas 20 years from now then by all means please bonk me over the head and set me straight.

TJastal
03-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Here's the real muthaffuggin' Garret anyway (sorry don't know how to embed youtube vids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggiiAIoLr4&NR=1

Go Garret!!! :rollin

E-RockWill
03-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Here's the real muthaffuggin' Garret anyway (sorry don't know how to embed youtube vids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggiiAIoLr4&NR=1

Go Garret!!! :rollin

You have ruined this thread.

:pimpslap

ChumpDumper
03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
At least I'm grousing over fairly current events. That guy who thought the spurs should have drafted Glen Rice instead of Sean Ell1ot a couple decades ago is the one who ought to get over it huh? Funny you didn't get all testy over that.Does he bring it up in every thread?

If I'm still grousing about Tyrus Thomas 20 years from now then by all means please bonk me over the head and set me straight.It will become part of your list of grievances you and others will trot out whenever the front office offends you anew. And if ever Tyrus has some particularly good stats, you'll be sure to mention it.

TJastal
03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
You have ruined this thread.

:pimpslap

Does this mean your day is ruined too? Get a life...

TJastal
03-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Does he bring it up in every thread?

It will become part of your list of grievances you and others will trot out whenever the front office offends you anew. And if ever Tyrus has some particularly good stats, you'll be sure to mention it.

Yup, pretty much.

ChumpDumper
03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Yup, pretty much.

Get a life...

Wow get over it.

Hypocrite. :toast

Old School 44
03-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Mini-Centerpiece?
Nah...the "Place-setting" to go along with the "Centerpiece". :lol

GSH
03-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Another guard really?... I wonder if Spurs are just getting ready for life after TD and will just go all guards.

Not just all guards - all defensive-minded guards. And Pop will still decide to go small. So we'll have 3 PG's on the floor, Temple at PF, and Hairston at C.

Not really... I've seen too many clips of this guy dunking the ball. Pop will never let him play.

RiverwalkParade
03-15-2010, 12:21 PM
How do you think the FO views Parker's situation next year? I have never thought TP would be a Spur lifer and think once he hits the market he will sign elsewhere.

Do you think they will try to move his expiring contract next year for a Manu replacement and a big?

I just don't see RJ going anywhere after the way he has played this year. Parker is a much more valuable chip.

Who would be buyers in that market?

jjktkk
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
How do you think the FO views Parker's situation next year? I have never thought TP would be a Spur lifer and think once he hits the market he will sign elsewhere.

Do you think they will try to move his expiring contract next year for a Manu replacement and a big?

I just don't see RJ going anywhere after the way he has played this year. Parker is a much more valuable chip.

Who would be buyers in that market?

Although trading Parker is intriguing, I highly doubt the Spurs would consider it as long as Duncan continues to play and doesn't retire.

RiverwalkParade
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
So you wouldn't do a Parker for Josh Smith trade? I just don't think Parker will resign after next year.

TJastal
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
So you wouldn't do a Parker for Josh Smith trade? I just don't think Parker will resign after next year.

+1

Even if the spurs didn't have George Hill riding Parker's ass and showing huge potential as a cheaper and soon to be better replacement and the spurs were planning their entire future around Tony Parker, I think there's a chance he could still bolt to play in either a bigger market with all the glitz and glamour that comes with it or an established team that doesn't have a potential lengthy rebuilding process looming ahead.

He's probably thinking about 3 years down the road, when most likely Duncan and Manu will be gone and he'll be the last of the big 3 on the team playing with a lot of young players in a rebuilding type situation. Is he going to want to be part of a rebuilding process in what will be his last big contract /
productive years? I don't think so.

RiverwalkParade
03-15-2010, 03:45 PM
+1

Even if the spurs didn't have George Hill riding Parker's ass and showing huge potential as a cheaper and soon to be better replacement and the spurs were planning their entire future around Tony Parker, I think there's a chance he could still bolt to play in either a bigger market with all the glitz and glamour that comes with it or an established team that doesn't have a potential lengthy rebuilding process looming ahead.

He's probably thinking about 3 years down the road, when most likely Duncan and Manu will be gone and he'll be the last of the big 3 on the team playing with a lot of young players in a rebuilding type situation. Is he going to want to be part of a rebuilding process in what will be his last big contract /
productive years? I don't think so.

Exactly what I was thinking. So the question is...Do we think it is worth going all in one more season (I think we can all agree that next year is our last chance with Timmy) or do we trade him and look to our future?

Because, though the present has been fun, the future looks miserable if Parker signs somewhere else.

BUT...if we can send him off for a guy like Josh Smith, sign Splitter and trade RJ for another piece with his contract, then we can forseeably speed up the rebuilding process.

jjktkk
03-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. So the question is...Do we think it is worth going all in one more season (I think we can all agree that next year is our last chance with Timmy) or do we trade him and look to our future?

Because, though the present has been fun, the future looks miserable if Parker signs somewhere else.

BUT...if we can send him off for a guy like Josh Smith, sign Splitter and trade RJ for another piece with his contract, then we can forseeably speed up the rebuilding process.

When you came up with the idea of trading Parker, I assumed you meant now, which I wouldn't do. But 2 or 3 years from know, I would absolutely think about it trading Parker, if the Spurs could get equal, or better value in return.

RiverwalkParade
03-16-2010, 08:11 AM
When you came up with the idea of trading Parker, I assumed you meant now, which I wouldn't do. But 2 or 3 years from know, I would absolutely think about it trading Parker, if the Spurs could get equal, or better value in return.

Of course I meant in the offseason or at the deadline next year. He is a big expiring contract, a big name player, and will likely give us ulcers in the 2011 offseason about where he is going to sign.

He's not a sure thing like Timmy. So if you can move him in the offseason, get some young talent in return for the wing and/or a big then you can hopefully move RJ at the deadline to fill in the other blanks.

rjv
03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
why such analysis and concern over 10 day contracts ?