PDA

View Full Version : Alvin Robertson - Huge Bummer of a Story

bigfan
03-13-2010, 05:40 PM
As a long time Spurs fan now living in the Dallas area I keep up with all my Spurs stuff here and really appreciate this board. Ive been following this Alvin saga online and I just can't believe it. For you newer fans, Alvin was just as big a Spurs player in his day as Manu or Tony are now. Maybe even bigger because the team back them wasn't nearly as good as it is now. He had huge talent on the defense side, hell, I can't remember how many steals he would average in a game. I remember he originally got in the crappers with his longtime girlfriend and I was hoping that was some sort of fluke and he had straightened himself out. Nope. Somewhere around the house, folded up in a closet is one of my best Spurs trinkets, a huge autographed Alvin Robertson poster. Im gonna keep it and just remember the old days but man, what a disappointment.

Russ
03-13-2010, 05:46 PM
As a long time Spurs fan now living in the Dallas area I keep up with all my Spurs stuff here and really appreciate this board. Ive been following this Alvin saga online and I just can't believe it. For you newer fans, Alvin was just as big a Spurs player in his day as Manu or Tony are now. Maybe even bigger because the team back them wasn't nearly as good as it is now. He had huge talent on the defense side, hell, I can't remember how many steals he would average in a game. I remember he originally got in the crappers with his longtime girlfriend and I was hoping that was some sort of fluke and he had straightened himself out. Nope. Somewhere around the house, folded up in a closet is one of my best Spurs trinkets, a huge autographed Alvin Robertson poster. Im gonna keep it and just remember the old days but man, what a disappointment.

Most bad guys kind of look the part. Like an Artest or a JR Rider, etc.

Alvin Robertson looked like Sean Ellliot. The dude even wore braces. Kind of a disarming overgrown kid with a big smile.

A sad story to be sure.