PDA

View Full Version : Phillies have internal discussions about a Howard for Pujols swap

djohn2oo8
03-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Saw it on Sportscenter just a few minutes ago, that the Phillies are discussing a deal that would send Ryan Howard to St. Louis for Albert Pujols. The Cardinals haven't been approached by the Phillies yet, and I see this deal of having no chance of going down if the reports are true

JMarkJohns
03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
The logic, I guess, is that Howard is a St. Louis native, so he'd be easier to re-sign for the Cardinals, and Pujols is a right-handed bat, so the Phillies would gain the average/power from the right side they covet.

It would be awesome to happen, but I don't think Philly has taken into account just how much Pujols means to St. Louis and the fans. It's not like St. Louis doesn't draw... They've won a World Series within a handful of years, and they can spend pretty decent money, so it's not like they are the Twins.

JamStone
03-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Far fetched to say the least, but there is some merit to the logic if St. Louis truly believes they can't afford Albert when his contract is up. Still would never imagine St. Louis not doing everything they possibly can to keep Albert. But we've seen some of the best players in their primes get traded, like Bonds, Griffey, Clemens, A-Rod. So you never can say never, especially if it comes down to money. Unless you're the Yankees or Red Sox, sometimes decisions are made based on financial reasons. Still hard to believe it could happen though.

IronMexican
03-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Fucking christ no

Whisky Dog
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Someone in the Phillies org f'd up big time if the Cards are hearing about this first from sportscenter.

howardcopy
03-15-2010, 04:13 PM
This has to be false. No way the Cards take a PR hit like that. Sorry but this one is way out there.

djohn2oo8
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
It's not fully clear whether the Phillies actually have approached the Cardinals with the idea, and even if St. Louis were to seriously consider such an offer, executives with the Cardinals would have to swallow very hard before dealing Pujols, a player widely regarded as the best in the sport.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/4574.jpg Pujols

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/6097.jpg Howard

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro flatly denied that the internal discussions have taken place. "Lies," he said. "That's a lie. I don't know who you're talking to, but that's a lie."
The talk may well echo, in the end, another blockbuster deal that was discussed but never consummated many years ago: Executives of the Red Sox and Yankees once famously discussed a trade of Ted Williams for Joe DiMaggio.
The logic for a Howard for Pujols swap, as discussed within the Phillies' organization, could fall along these lines: Pujols, 30 years old, is eligible for free agency after the 2011 season, and early conversations about a contract extension have not led to any long-term deal. The expectation within baseball is that Pujols may ask for a deal that would rival, in annual value, the record-setting 10-year, $275 million deal that Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3115) negotiated with the Yankees in fall 2007.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4994845

gaKNOW!blee
03-15-2010, 05:11 PM
why exactly would ESPN run this story?? Amaro is clearly in charge in Philly, and what he says, goes. So when he says "Lies," he said. "That's a lie. I don't know who you're talking to, but that's a lie".....why exactly would ESPN just ignore that and make a story out of it?

Warlord23
03-15-2010, 05:47 PM
why exactly would ESPN run this story?? Amaro is clearly in charge in Philly, and what he says, goes. So when he says "Lies," he said. "That's a lie. I don't know who you're talking to, but that's a lie".....why exactly would ESPN just ignore that and make a story out of it?

Because they're ESPN. D'oh! Plumbing the depths of off-season sports reporting.

EricB
03-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Howard and Utley? Sure.

Straight up Howard for Pujols?

Not no, not F no, but hell fing no.

symple19
03-16-2010, 08:38 AM
This shit ain't happenin'. Quite frankly, St. Louis would be insane to even consider this. Pujols is the best offensive player in the league and a community stalwart.

EricB
03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Not just offensively, but he's a great defensive first baseman as well