PDA

View Full Version : The Shaun Livingston Dream Will Never Die

duncan228
03-15-2010, 01:36 PM
The Shaun Livingston Dream Will Never Die (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-theshaunlivingstondr&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Several weeks ago, when the Wizards signed Shaun Livingston, I noted that every time he signs with an NBA team, it receives a level of attention incommensurate with his actual impact on the court.

He was once was so promising, and his 2007 knee injury so gruesome, that it’s natural for fans (myself included) to view every new signing as an opportunity to recapture what he lost three seasons ago, even though his success was by no means guaranteed.

On Saturday, Livingston logged 18 points and eight assists against the Magic. As Jonathan Abrams notes at Off the Dribble, those are meaningful numbers (http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/livingstons-comeback-is-bright-spot-for-wizards/):

But there is a reason why Henry Thomas, Livingston’s agent, called him nearly in tears after the game. The tally represents more than just numbers. They are the most points and assists Livingston has amassed since his gruesome injury in February 2007, in which he landed awkwardly on his left knee, damaging virtually every portion of it. […]

“To be honest with you, I’m really not thinking about it,” Livingston said. “I’m just thinking about doing my job when I get in there and that’s trying to get others involved, make shots when I get in there and play the right way.”

Livingston recalibrated his expectations for himself long ago, but many of us are still a bit behind. Every time Livingston has a new game, it’s a piece of evidence that he’s on his way back and could make solid performances a regularity. Then, if he somehow were to accomplish that amazing feat, we could return to our past expectations for his career, no matter how unlikely he may be to reach those heights.

This is the ugly side of potential. Livingston’s ceiling was once so high that nothing he does on the court will ever be enough, even as his comeback represents an unreal achievement in its own right. Our initial expectations for his career will remain forever, even as they become infinitesimally likely.

Livingston’s accomplishments will still be recognized and cheered, but that knee injury saddled his career with a permanent asterisk. The new Shaun Livingston will always be viewed against our hopes and dreams for the old one.

TheManFromAcme
03-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Here's to Shaun...:toast
To come back from that horrible injury much less play at any level is amazing.
I'd like nothing more than see this kid prove many wrong.

Red Hawk #21
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I've always been a big fan of Livingston, it would be so sweet to see him make a comeback. I know he won't be a star but just to see him as a regular rotation player somewhere would be great.

duhoh
03-15-2010, 02:56 PM
I've always been a big fan of Livingston, it would be so sweet to see him make a comeback. I know he won't be a star but just to see him as a regular rotation player somewhere would be great.

:toast

Same here. Kid had some pretty sweet post moves for a guard.

JMarkJohns
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Loved watching the kid in high school. His transition game wouldn't have been maximized at Duke, but I wish he had played in an open-court system in college.

The kid had so much talent and ability, I don't blame teams for having delusions of grandeur.

baseline bum
03-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I hope someday Livingston can have the kind of success Bernard King found a few years after destroying his knee.

mogrovejo
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
He's been looking worse than horrific with the Wizards.

Red Hawk #21
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
He's been looking worse than horrific with the Wizards.

Well, he's averaging 5ppg, 53% shooting in 14mpg. Not so bad for someone still recovering from a massive injury, I expect his ppg and minutes to slowly climb. Thing is the guy, isn't really attempting many shots. Maybe he's not so comfortable shooting yet?

SomeCallMeTim
03-15-2010, 04:39 PM
If the basketball thing doesn't work out for Shaun, he can always fall back on his acting career.
http://alltalksports.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/shaun-livingston.jpg?w=201&h=183

I especially enjoyed his work in his younger days on The Wire:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/27/Wallace_the_wire.jpg/250px-Wallace_the_wire.jpg

bostonguy
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
That injury gives me chills everytime I see it.

DesignatedT
03-15-2010, 04:45 PM
that injury was brutal

mogrovejo
03-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Well, he's averaging 5ppg, 53% shooting in 14mpg. Not so bad for someone still recovering from a massive injury, I expect his ppg and minutes to slowly climb. Thing is the guy, isn't really attempting many shots. Maybe he's not so comfortable shooting yet?

Have you watched him? He's not comfortable dribbling the ball upcourt.

duhoh
03-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Have you watched him? He's not comfortable dribbling the ball upcourt.

he should know, he's an expert

Red Hawk #21
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Terrific dunk, everyone looked a little worried about his landing though. Hopefully, he can continue to strengthen that knee over time.
wrEVieqfZRA

And this dunk is very reminiscent of Penny Hardaway:
dTefU7co6Eg

cheguevara
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
he needs to give Dejuan Blair a call