PDA

View Full Version : Paul Westphal on Carl Landry

Indazone
03-16-2010, 10:23 AM
"I don't know why anyone would let him go," Westphal said before the game.
Landry appears to fit in with the personality of the Kings, and Westphal said he gives the Kings a quality post presence. Like Sacramento management, Landry has goals of seeing the young Kings team improve.

"We are getting better as a team," Landry said. "Obviously it didn't look like it tonight, but we are. We have practice tomorrow and we are going to go back to the drawing board."
:depressed

http://www.nba.com/games/20100312/PORSAC/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0020900975?ls=iref:nbahpt2

djohn2oo8
03-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I love Landry, but it had to be done

Indazone
03-16-2010, 10:26 AM
I know..I am still having buyers remorse

djohn2oo8
03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
I know..I am still having buyers remorse

You shouldn't, because we got lotto pick Jordan Hill in the deal, (whose upside is off the charts), a possible lotto pick this year should they miss the playoffs, Kevin Martin who has been fantastic thus far, and 2 possible lotto picks from the Knicks, which will probably be used in a deal for another impact player. And, we are seeing what kind of player Scola is when given the opportunity

GuerillaBlack
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
You shouldn't, because we got lotto pick Jordan Hill in the deal, (whose upside is off the charts), a possible lotto pick this year should they miss the playoffs, Kevin Martin who has been fantastic thus far, and 2 possible lotto picks from the Knicks, which will probably be used in a deal for another impact player. And, we are seeing what kind of player Scola is when given the opportunity

So, what you meant to say was Indazone, stop fucking crying bro.

picc84
03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
The Landry trade is a good example of why Andrew Bynum needs to go for a point guard. At the end of our games, we have 12 million dollars sitting on the bench. The hell kind of shit is that? When you have two good players at one position, you trade one of them to upgrade your weak position. Now Houston has a legit two-guard who can close the games with them while Scola takes care of the PF spot.

noob cake
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM
The Landry trade is a good example of why Andrew Bynum needs to go for a point guard. At the end of our games, we have 12 million dollars sitting on the bench. The hell kind of shit is that? When you have two good players at one position, you trade one of them to upgrade your weak position. Now Houston has a legit two-guard who can close the games with them while Scola takes care of the PF spot.

12m Bynum vs 3m Landry :wakeup

Which one would you prefer?

picc84
03-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I'd prefer a prime John Stockton.

JamStone
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Plus you guys are getting Chris Bosh and Joe Johnson this summer.

GuerillaBlack
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM

No, only LeBron.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-16-2010, 01:54 PM

And they're getting Yao Ming back after completely recovering from a career threatening injury. This time he's gonna stay healthy.

JamStone
03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Kyle Lowry and Trevor Ariza for Chris Paul and Marcus Thornton sounds like a really good deal for the Hornets as well. It would be tough giving up Ariza's Dominique Wilkins like potential, but the Rockets would finally have a pure point guard to back up Aaron Brooks.

mavsfan1000
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Kyle Lowry and Trevor Ariza for Chris Paul and Marcus Thornton sounds like a really good deal for the Hornets as well. It would be tough giving up Ariza's Dominique Wilkins like potential, but the Rockets would finally have a pure point guard to back up Aaron Brooks.
Yeah it's nice to have Chris Paul as a backup point guard to Aaron Brooks. :lol

JamStone
03-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Congratulations on understanding.

Indazone
03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Landry is still one of my favorite players. Hardnosed, explosive, yet has a great positive attitude. Does not know the word pain. Plays above the rim. I hope he does really well in Sacremento and makes an All-Star team someday.

mavsfan1000
03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Congratulations on understanding.
I understood it. It just sounded funny the way you put it.

SomeCallMeTim
03-16-2010, 03:14 PM

I disagree. The Bynum-Odom-Gasol tandem is an amazing amount of depth. Great insurance against foul trouble, injury, and someone playing a lousy game. Odom and Gasol can't play 45 minutes and Powell and Mbenga are both terrible.

I do agree that it seems a shame to have such a talented player sit on the bench in crunch time, but remember that Bynum typically plays the 4th quarter up until the 4 or 5 minute mark these days... then Gasol comes back in fresh and more effective for the end of the game.

I was definitely in favor of getting Hinrich for spare parts but apparently that wasn't meant to be for financial reasons. Trading the future for a backup PG wouldn't be smart.

Indazone
03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
^ Agree with above and Martin Gortat needs a chance to play center for real instead of being stuck behind Dwight Howard.

picc84
03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I disagree. The Bynum-Odom-Gasol tandem is an amazing amount of depth. Great insurance against foul trouble, injury, and someone playing a lousy game. Odom and Gasol can't play 45 minutes and Powell and Mbenga are both terrible.

I do agree that it seems a shame to have such a talented player sit on the bench in crunch time, but remember that Bynum typically plays the 4th quarter up until the 4 or 5 minute mark these days... then Gasol comes back in fresh and more effective for the end of the game.

I was definitely in favor of getting Hinrich for spare parts but apparently that wasn't meant to be for financial reasons. Trading the future for a backup PG wouldn't be smart.

I wouldn't trade Bynum for Kirk Hinrich.

I meant a near-allstar caliber point guard (or even an allstar, depending on how high Drew's stock is at the time) would be a deal that would make sense to do. Say what you want, i'd rather have a 12 mil/year player on the court closing the game than on the bench. Replace Fisher with one and the deal only sweetens.

Gasol and Odom play heavy minutes in the playoffs anyway. Last year, Bynum was nothing more than a goalpost foul-machine in the postseason and we still won. Got to the finals in 08 with him not even being on the court, and within 2 games of a title with Sasha and Radman playing heavy minutes.

Our frontcourt depth would take a hit but lets be honest, our 'depth' at point guard is so pathetic I would cry if I wasn't laughing too hard. An actual player running point for us would improve the team so much I have wetdreams about it.

Thanks again Mitch for your trade deadline work, btw.

NBAfan83
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't trade Bynum for Kirk Hinrich.

I meant a near-allstar caliber point guard (or even an allstar, depending on how high Drew's stock is at the time) would be a deal that would make sense to do. Say what you want, i'd rather have a 12 mil/year player on the court closing the game than on the bench. Replace Fisher with one and the deal only sweetens.

Gasol and Odom play heavy minutes in the playoffs anyway. Last year, Bynum was nothing more than a goalpost foul-machine in the postseason and we still won. Got to the finals in 08 with him not even being on the court, and within 2 games of a title with Sasha and Radman playing heavy minutes.

Our frontcourt depth would take a hit but lets be honest, our 'depth' at point guard is so pathetic I would cry if I wasn't laughing too hard. An actual player running point for us would improve the team so much I have wetdreams about it.

Thanks again Mitch for your trade deadline work, btw.

oh really? i wasn't aware the lakers traded for anyone on the trade deadline.

LakeShow
03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Bynum for a pg? Cmon pic, that wouldn't be smart. You can't trade a big for small unless it was Chris Paul we're talking about. Even if trading for an all star guard was the preference for the Lakers, I would trade Gasol before I trade Bynum.

The triangle doesn't require an all star point guard anyway. The Lakers should go after Foye when the wizards release him, imo.

picc84
03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Bynum for a pg? Cmon pic, that wouldn't be smart. You can't trade a big for small unless it was Chris Paul we're talking about. Even if trading for an all star guard was the preference for the Lakers, I would trade Gasol before I trade Bynum.

The triangle doesn't require an all star point guard anyway. The Lakers should go after Foye when the wizards release him, imo.

We have a big already. One who starts and closes games. Its not like this is Dwight Howard for a point guard, letting Gortat take over. Bynum doesn't have to play a lot of minutes, or even moderately well for us to win. That has been proven over the past couple years. He's a luxury, not a necessity. And in todays game guards dominate - things have changed.

Gasol is leagues better than Bynum.

We barely run the triangle anymore.

The triangle also doesn't require an all-star center or scoring forwards, but we have a couple of those and it works out pretty well. The "triangle" argument is old and moot IMO.

LakeShow
03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
We have a big already. One who starts and closes games. Its not like this is Dwight Howard for a point guard, letting Gortat take over. Bynum doesn't have to play a lot of minutes, or even moderately well for us to win. That has been proven over the past couple years. He's a luxury, not a necessity. And in todays game guards dominate - things have changed.

Gasol is leagues better than Bynum.

We barely run the triangle anymore.

The triangle also doesn't require an all-star center or scoring forwards, but we have a couple of those and it works out pretty well. The "triangle" argument is old and moot IMO.

Gasol is leagues softer than Bynum. After watching him against Dwight the other day and him acting like a little girl he would be the first big I would move if necessary. The triangle may not require an all star center but it worked very well with Shaq.

We still run the triangle most of the time in LA. As long as Phil is in LA, the triangle will never become obsolete. When the triangle is not being used, kobe is the facilitator and handles the ball. It worked for 4 titles, i wouldn't change that.

bostonguy
03-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Gasol is leagues softer than Bynum. After watching him against Dwight the other day and him acting like a little girl he would be the first big I would move if necessary. The triangle may not require an all star center but it worked very well with Shaq.

We still run the triangle most of the time in LA. As long as Phil is in LA, the triangle will never become obsolete. When the triangle is not being used, kobe is the facilitator and handles the ball. It worked for 4 titles, i wouldn't change that.

Seriously wtf happened to Gasol. The guy was fearless last season and stepped up especially in the statement games. He went from pussy in the 2008 finals to a man during the 08-09 season and reverts back to a pussy for this year????

LakeShow
03-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Seriously wtf happened to Gasol. The guy was fearless last season and stepped up especially in the statement games. He went from pussy in the 2008 finals to a man during the 08-09 season and reverts back to a pussy for this year????

I don't know. I had concerns when the Lakers signed him about his softness but he did come thru last season in the playoffs. Now he acts softer than ever before. It's sickening to watch and if he doesn't man up in the playoffs, I would be all for moving him.

picc84
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM

haha yeah Gasol is definitely softer, but he's still more valuable. Lets be real, everything that has to do with basketball he does better than Bynum. The offense flows much better with him, and the defense is better despite his charmin softness. Drew may be tougher but he's as mobile as an anvil. Bynum hasn't improved as a player in 3 years, and has actually regressed from what he was 2 years ago.

Its proven we don't need Bynum to play much or even play well to win. To me thats more damning than Pau being soft as my car's leather.

C'mon. You really mean to tell me if we could get an allstar point guard for a dude that barely even plays the 4th quarter, and upgrade our dead-weight at point at the same time, you wouldn't do it? You're honestly not tired of Kobe being the only one who can make anything happen from the perimeter? Cause I really, really am.

Tmac&Luther
03-16-2010, 07:01 PM
This thread is funny. I love Carl Landry, but that trade they pulled off was highway robbery and Houston won that trade with Kevin Martin (Martin was the best player in the 3 team deal), Jordan Hill, and the boat load of picks they got from the Knicks.

This trade will help Houston more in the future than not moving Carl Landry....and again, this is coming from someone who loves Carl Landry as a basketball player.

Muser
03-16-2010, 07:07 PM
And they're getting Yao Ming back after completely recovering from a career threatening injury. This time he's gonna stay healthy.

:lmao

Won't he be forced to play in the Summer?

Muser
03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Holy shit Rocket fan, you got Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill and 2 first round picks for an undersized C and T-Back, and you have buyers fucking remorse?

Tmac&Luther
03-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Holy shit Rocket fan, you got Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill and 2 first round picks for an undersized C and T-Back, and you have buyers fucking remorse?

I know :rolleyes

badfish22
03-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Its MANdry, bro!

djohn2oo8
03-16-2010, 07:19 PM

That's Indazone, and ONLY Indazone

Tmac&Luther
03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Its MANdry, bro!

He's still MANdry, but Houston still got the better player and better overall package in the trade.

Kings and Rockets atleast both got good players though. The Knicks better pray that their hail Mary attempt of player personnel works out, because of LeBron turns his back on them they'll look so freaking retarded and will have nothing to show for any transaction that they've made during the last 3+ seasons.

djohn2oo8
03-16-2010, 07:25 PM
He's still MANdry, but Houston still got the better player and better overall package in the trade.

Kings and Rockets atleast both got good players though. The Knicks better pray that their hail Mary attempt of player personnel works out, because of LeBron turns his back on them they'll look so freaking retarded and will have nothing to show for any transaction that they've made during the last 3+ seasons.

They are still in the hunt for Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, and company. But, those guys can't carry a franchise like the Knicks by themselves

Indazone
03-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Of course the Rockets got the better end of the deal. That's just business. But man I'm gonna miss those in your face dunks of his. I hope Jordan Hill can step it up and be just like Mandry.

Tmac&Luther
03-16-2010, 07:44 PM
They are still in the hunt for Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, and company. But, those guys can't carry a franchise like the Knicks by themselves

Yes they are in the hunt for those players, but their main goal is first and foremost LeBron James. They aren't going into the off season trying to get any of those other players. Anything minus LeBron James is a big giant failure for them...especially with how obvious their push for him has been.

djohn2oo8
03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes they are in the hunt for those players, but their main goal is first and foremost LeBron James. They aren't going into the off season trying to get any of those other players. Anything minus LeBron James is a big giant failure for them...especially with how obvious their push for him has been.

True, but LeBron wouldn't be that stupid to leave the situation he is in right now.

21_Blessings
03-16-2010, 08:06 PM
12m Bynum vs 3m Landry :wakeup

Which one would you prefer?

Bynum has way more impact on a basketball game.

Landry is getting a raise anyways.

Quit Hatin'
03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
bynum for a solid big and and starting point guard could have gone through at the dealine for example noah and hinrich for bynum would have been good for both parties. chicago gets a good low post scorer to compliment rose and are set for the future.

we get two all hustle players one being very physical inside in noah and the other being a point guard who can defend and knock down the three.

now that they didnt pull the trigger i think its going to be harder to acquire a true starting point guard. fisher is done, farmer just wont cut it and is most likely leaving, shannon is a shooting gaurd and could opt out. that leaves us with sasha, mle, and two 2nd round draft picks to acquire point guard.

Lars
03-17-2010, 01:10 AM
One of those rare trades where it works out for both teams imo. Scola was enough PF for us, and we desperately needed a wing scorer.

DaDakota
03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Scola is better, and we traded a backup for a 20+ppg scoring wing.

Great trade......

Once Landry's athleticism starts to fade, he is going to struggle, he is a hard worker on offense...but on defense....lol...what defense?

DD

picc84
03-17-2010, 11:45 AM
So Trevor Ariza is now back in the role that he eschewed the Lakers for so he could go to Houston and be a go-to guy?

LakeShow
03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
haha yeah Gasol is definitely softer, but he's still more valuable. Lets be real, everything that has to do with basketball he does better than Bynum. The offense flows much better with him, and the defense is better despite his charmin softness. Drew may be tougher but he's as mobile as an anvil. Bynum hasn't improved as a player in 3 years, and has actually regressed from what he was 2 years ago.

Its proven we don't need Bynum to play much or even play well to win. To me thats more damning than Pau being soft as my car's leather.

C'mon. You really mean to tell me if we could get an allstar point guard for a dude that barely even plays the 4th quarter, and upgrade our dead-weight at point at the same time, you wouldn't do it? You're honestly not tired of Kobe being the only one who can make anything happen from the perimeter? Cause I really, really am.

I think you underestimate Bynums impact. We won the title with Bynum's impact, minimum or not. We were man handled in the finals without. I wouldn't make that trade, no way would i feel comfortable with Gasol as the only center to win a title. Boston made a believer out of me, so I will just respectfully disagree and move on. :toast

picc84
03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
The lack of size was a problem against Boston. But thats only one of the reasons they won the title. They also won because Vlad Radmanovic and Sasha Vujacic were playing extensive, crunch time minutes against Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. They won because once they took the ball out of Kobe's hands with those traps, nobody was able to create any offense either for themselves or others. No one but Kobe could get to the rim. No one but Kobe could make plays consistently for the other guys.

They did the exact opposite of what the Spurs did in the WCF and we had absolutely no answer for it.

The Boston series is the #1 reason we need another creating/scoring guard.

Also, you overestimate Bynums impact last year. He was a foul-taker. Thats pretty much the extent of it. His defense on Howard was nonexistent and his offense was below-average, at best. We won because of Kobe, Pau, LO, and Ariza. Thats it.

I respect your respectful disagreement, but respectfully disagree with it.

j.dizzle
03-17-2010, 01:36 PM
A healthy & confident Bynum is more important & a lot more rare these days then a guard IMO..You can see the bounce in his step lately, hes even been giving effort on the defensive side lately..He had like 8-9 dunks in yesterdays game alone..I was damn impressed with him & Pau yesterday. PPl seem to forget to Bynum wasnt even healthy in last years playoffs & was coming back from a torn MCL.

Double-Up
03-17-2010, 02:46 PM

Gotta love the sarcasm there, anyways if he can stay healthy for the whole year we may be able to make a deep run in the playoffs, if not he expires and we can move the fuck on.

picc84
03-17-2010, 03:31 PM
A healthy & confident Bynum is more important & a lot more rare these days then a guard IMO..You can see the bounce in his step lately, hes even been giving effort on the defensive side lately..He had like 8-9 dunks in yesterdays game alone..I was damn impressed with him & Pau yesterday. PPl seem to forget to Bynum wasnt even healthy in last years playoffs & was coming back from a torn MCL.

You give credence to a couple of games over an entire year of subpar performance? I don't.

I like him, he's just proven to be a lazy, unmotivated player more often than not, and his basketball IQ and awareness hasn't improved since the day he stepped in the league.

He doesn't complete the team like a good player at point guard would. Imagine if we actually had 5 players on the court at one time that could contribute consistently, instead of always having one player on the court who is more likely to take away from the team than to contribute (our negative-impact PG's).

Bynum isn't worth playing 4 on 5 every game, and having him for 20-some minutes per game and on the bench in the 4th quarter is a considerably less valuable option than a good near all-star/all-star point guard playing 35+ and closing the game. I still am wondering how people have justified having him on the team for 12 mil/year as essentially a bench player.

We have a center and a PF, we don't need an all-star backup. Do what the Rockets did and trade the redundant player for someone who fills your needs. Thats smart basketball.

LakeShow
03-17-2010, 07:09 PM
:lol alright, i'll bite.

I didn't want to get into a deep discussion on this considering what we're discussing is not the topic but

first and foremost, you never trade big for small, unless its an all star like i expressed earlier. I would give more credence to this if it was trading Bynum for another big.

Bynum may not come to play every night but he's young. He's probably still partying and getting laid every night. When Gasol was out Bynum was playing at an all star pace. He averaged 20, 11, and 2 blocks a game. His production dropped when Gasol returned which is understandable. Bynums only 22 years old, Gasol is 29.

I'm all for getting a PG but not at the expense of one of our bigs. That would weaken the lakers and take away from their strength. They don't need an allstar guard with this team. Hell, we haven''t had one this decade and still became the team of the decade. They can get an adequate PG without moving anyone, imo.

Trading Bynum for a point guard would make the Lakers the Dallas Mavericks of the last decade. A very good regular season team, not a championship team. Even Dallas was smart enough to have a center play along side Dirk because Dirk is a weak center. Same with Gasol. Boston exposed him to be as such and now everybody plays him that way and he is not responding, he's just laying down. Yes, I am very much against weak, soft players. I hate them! I would rather move Gasol than move Bynum and not for a point guard, for another center/PF. I would only move Gasol if he continues his soft ways. Other wise the Lakers are fine just as they are with a good, not great, PG.

Gummi Clutch
03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Gotta love the sarcasm there, anyways if he can stay healthy for the whole year we may be able to make a deep run in the playoffs, if not he expires and we can move the fuck on.
No rockette fan, you guys aren't good unless Yao averages 20 ppg and still gets dominated like a pussy. He will stay healthy and he will have a PG that will only pass him the ball like lowry and you guys can finally be happy. I hope he buys his crutches in advance this time :lol :lmao

djohn2oo8
03-17-2010, 07:23 PM
No rockette fan, you guys aren't good unless Yao averages 20 ppg and still gets dominated like a pussy. He will stay healthy and he will have a PG that will only pass him the ball like lowry and you guys can finally be happy. I hope he buys his crutches in advance this time :lol :lmao

You seem butthurt for some reason, oh yeah I forgot, when the Spurs were raped by the Mavs 4-1, their fans also got the "property of The Dallas Mavericks" branded on their asses