PDA

View Full Version : LOL, ESPN: Finley Delivers

nkdlunch
03-16-2010, 10:33 AM
By Chris Forsberg
ESPNBoston.com
BOSTON -- When the Boston Celtics went shopping for a free agent to push them over the top in the 2009-10 season, they coveted a veteran with championship experience who could space the floor and hit big perimeter shots.

So hell-bent on delivering such a talent, Celtics brass boarded a private jet to Detroit during the offseason, hoping to lure Rasheed Wallace to Boston. The Celtics went so far as to overpay for his services, offering a three-year contract to assure he'd end up in green.

And while the 35-year-old Wallace hasn't nearly lived up to expectations, the same prototype showed up on the Celtics' doorstep earlier this month when Michael Finley arrived in town after receiving a buyout from the San Antonio Spurs.

Arriving with none of the expectations assigned to Wallace, Finley has already exceeded Boston's highest hopes by providing instant offense off the bench, even as he dives into the playbook.

Finley erupted for a season-high 15 points in less than 14 minutes Monday night, connecting on 6-of-7 shots, including a trio of 3-pointers, to help the Celtics thrash the visiting Pistons 119-93 at TD Garden.

In four games with Boston, the 15th-year veteran, from the same 1995 draft class as Wallace, is averaging 8.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.8 assists in 14 minutes per game. That's on par with what Wallace is giving the Celtics at 9.5 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.1 assists over 23.1 minutes per game.

And it's costing the team more than $5 million less this season.

Fortunately for Boston, as polar opposites as the players are off the court -- Finley a sage veteran who said he'd be willing to impart wisdom to any players looking for it, while Wallace is the brash jokester who offers everyone a piece of his mind, from teammates to officials -- they've actually formed a formidable pairing on the floor.

While Wallace had another unremarkable -- yet surprisingly efficient -- evening by connecting on 3-of-4 shots for 8 points against his old team Monday, his biggest contribution has been creating shots for Finley.

"I've seen it in college when he was at Wisconsin, and you know, for the few teams he played with here in the league, I know what type of player Fin is," said Wallace. "That's one thing I told him when he first came here, when we're out there in that second unit, I'm going to swing you the ball, just basic basketball."

Said Celtics coach Doc Rivers: "I think Rasheed is doing a phenomenal job setting picks to get Mike open. For two guys that have not been together very long, Rasheed's realized what Michael can do and is using that body to get him open."

For his part, Finley says he's still learning the Boston playbook, particularly the team's help-defense scheme, given its stark contrast to the D employed by the Spurs.

"I'm still trying to find my way in," said Finley. "Like I've always said, this team was a good one before I got here. I just want to come in and help them be a better team, if that's possible. If I'm hurting this team, my ego can let me step away. I think I can help this team get to its ultimate goal [of winning an NBA title]. That's why I came here."

Finley is exactly the type of player Boston coveted this offseason. And, given Wallace's struggles to be effective, he might be exactly what they needed to make a true championship push.

just when the season couldn't get any worse for Spurs

:rollin

silverblackfan
03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Meh. Good for Fin. Still would rather have our young guys get his playing time.

rjv
03-16-2010, 10:41 AM
i'm expecting oberto to get a triple double tonight

Bartleby
03-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I didn't doubt Fin's ability to make shots and go on the occasional hot streak. His shooting percentages were pretty solid last year and it wasn't until he came back from injury that they really seemed to drop off badly.

It's the deficiencies in the rest of his game that made him frustrating to watch, especially when his minutes were cutting into the time of younger players who seemed to have more to offer.

K-State Spur
03-16-2010, 10:49 AM
fool's gold.

we were at the point where Finley's bad days were much more common than his good ones. however, only the biggest finley haters would deny that there were still some good days here and there.

SenorSpur
03-16-2010, 10:49 AM
For his part, Finley says he's still learning the Boston playbook, particularly the team's help-defense scheme, given its stark contrast to the D employed by the Spurs.
:lol

"I'm still trying to find my way in," said Finley. "Like I've always said, this team was a good one before I got here. I just want to come in and help them be a better team, if that's possible. If I'm hurting this team, my ego can let me step away. I think I can help this team get to its ultimate goal [of winning an NBA title]. That's why I came here."
:lol

Finley is exactly the type of player Boston coveted this offseason. And, given Wallace's struggles to be effective, he might be exactly what they needed to make a true championship push.
:lmao

deL!
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
And now Finley will go on a shooting slump of 1-16 for 5 games. Nothing new to see here folks, move along.

boutons_deux
03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Exactly, let's see how many instant offense, FG 50%+ games Michael has before Celts go fishin.

"as he dives into the playbook."

Doc has a playbook? :lol

mando6599
03-16-2010, 10:59 AM

funny, very funny

Ryvin1
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
But how many points did he allow when the guy he was guarding blew past him?

Leetonidas
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM
LMAO at 15 points being an "explosion." Finley blows, his defense is fucking disgraceful, and he will proceed to go 2-23 from the field over the next 8 games.

Spurminator
03-16-2010, 11:19 AM
By the time Finley hit his first shot, Boston was up by 12. He scored almost all of his buckets in 4th quarter garbage minutes.

bus driver
03-16-2010, 11:39 AM
By the time Finley hit his first shot, Boston was up by 12. He scored almost all of his buckets in 4th quarter garbage minutes.

didnt watch the game but if this is true than the article blows.....

TimDunkem
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I can't believe you're blowing your chode over 15 points in garbage time. :lol

Plus, this "season just got worse" BS is becoming a cliche...I mean, the chances are that this team would be even worse if he was still here, and despite how many points he scores, he'll always give up just as much on the defensive end of the floor.

He is not a potentially important piece we traded like Scola, or a piece we could of had at the deadline. Understand? It was NOT a mistake letting Finley go.

Michael Finley sucks now and is no longer our problem. This season got better as soon as he left.

weebo
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
If Finely were still here, Malik would be riding the pine or still in Austin.

Dex
03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Fin could go 6-7 for on any given night.

The problem is, he'd usually follow that up with a few of those 1-7 or 2-8 outings.

Spilled milk.

SenorSpur
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
But how many points did he allow when the guy he was guarding blew past him?

Watching him defend is like watching a guy in cement shoes. Even players that aren't exactly known to be "fleet-of-foot" have demonstrated the ability to blow past this Finley on a regular basis.

benefactor
03-16-2010, 12:12 PM
fool's gold.

This.

He scored almost all of his buckets in 4th quarter garbage minutes.
And this.

Finley blows
This too....but most importantly...

lol Finley

loveforthegame
03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I think he's had more threads dedicated to him since he's been gone than he ever did as a Spur.

He hit 3-4 jumpers in the 2nd quarter and was 3-3 in the beginning of the 4th. He was out of the game by the 8 minute mark so it wasn't all done in garbage minutes. He's a streak shooter and right now he's on a high but we'll see how long that lasts.

JR3
03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't buy this. Finley is only a shooter.. Hairston and hill bring a better package. He could average 15 a game for them and I wouldn't give a damn. Spurs are better without him. I wonder how many players drove right past his ass to an easy score in those 14 minutes he was on the court.

TIMMYD!
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
It won't last he'll have his regular 0-? next game.

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
LOL i have to make this gif
http://i43.tinypic.com/152cmjb.gif

Spurminator
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
He hit 3-4 jumpers in the 2nd quarter and was 3-3 in the beginning of the 4th. He was out of the game by the 8 minute mark so it wasn't all done in garbage minutes.

The Celtics started the 4th quarter up 19. The entire quarter was garbage minutes.

PDXSpursFan
03-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Premature ejaculation by ESPN. It's only 1 good game by Finley, time will tell.

CFH
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
LOL i have to make this gif
http://i43.tinypic.com/152cmjb.gif

Finley playing the role of towel boy. :lol

5in10
03-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Funny how they didn't write an article on finley whil he was with the spurs, but as soon as he goes to one of the media sweethearts he becomes a savior.

callo1
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Wow, all of the Fin hate is amusing. People took his comment of wanting to go to a contender out of context IMO. Fin wanted more playing time with a contender...he never said he viewed the Spurs as a non-contender.

Fin gave us his best when he was here, and arguably played the hardest of any player in the debacle '06 series against the Mavs.

Fin was a class act while he was here. I find it amusing how quickly some fans go from love to hate...or respect to disrespect simply because a player wants to go somewhere else.

Who hit the big three ball in the '08 Suns series before TD did?

nkdlunch
03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
LMAO at 15 points being an "explosion." Finley blows, his defense is fucking disgraceful, and he will proceed to go 2-23 from the field over the next 8 games.

15 pts in 14 minutes IS an explosion

lotta hate for Findawg here. :rolleyes

Libri
03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
I find it amusing how quickly some fans go from love to hate...or respect to disrespect simply because a player wants to go somewhere else.

He was already hated before he left.

Sean Cagney
03-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Ehhhhhhhhhh Hairston gets mins now here that he is gone, who cares? He had those games here too every few weeks.

whottt
03-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Almost as clutch as that game 5 nailbiter against Denver in 07 :tu

Whew.

DAF86
03-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Rebounds, tips and flops.

nkdlunch
03-16-2010, 03:56 PM

talk about revisionist history.

- Boston was up by 12 4 minutes into the game
- Finley scored 10 of his 15 points before the 4th quarter and 8 in the first quarter

Stringer_Bell
03-16-2010, 04:16 PM
This article came from ESPN Boston affiliate, of course they are going to talk up Finley's "explosion" against the clearly outmanned and outgunned Pistons. It was a tremendous feat to watch a geriatric man such as Finley put up such great numbers on against a team like the Pistons.

THIS is exactly what the Celtics needed, it's a statement game and they have a new double figure point player!

bostonguy
03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Finley is simply a stud. I am so glad we signed him. The guy is a cold blooded killer. He brings so much to the team. Clutch shooting, leadership, defense, hustle, slashing to the basket, high basketball IQ, and he is a proven champ.

nkdlunch
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
This article came from ESPN Boston affiliate, of course they are going to talk up Finley's "explosion" against the clearly outmanned and outgunned Pistons. It was a tremendous feat to watch a geriatric man such as Finley put up such great numbers on against a team like the Pistons.

THIS is exactly what the Celtics needed, it's a statement game and they have a new double figure point player!

are you talking about the same garbage of a Piston team that beat the Spurs a couple of weeks ago?

Spurminator
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
talk about revisionist history.

- Boston was up by 12 4 minutes into the game
- Finley scored 10 of his 15 points before the 4th quarter and 8 in the first quarter

What game are you looking at??

http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=300315002&period=0

boutons_deux
03-16-2010, 04:22 PM
bostonguy is drunk on St Patrick's Eve, or is it everyday?

nkdlunch
03-16-2010, 04:26 PM
What game are you looking at??

http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=300315002&period=0

I guess the same one you are looking at, that link shows Finley didn't score most of his points in garbage time.

Spurminator
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
I guess the same one you are looking at, that link shows Finley didn't score most of his points in garbage time.

It doesn't show Boston up by 12 in the first quarter or Finley with 10 points before the 4th either...

But still, my bad.

8 of 15 points were scored in the 2nd quarter with Boston up by double digits. The other 7 were scored in garbage time.

ESPN Front Page Feature article completely justified.

alchemist
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
4pts against Cleveland (media: ignore this)
15pts against Detroit (media: blow his cock)

:wakeup

nkdlunch
03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
It doesn't show Boston up by 12 in the first quarter or Finley with 10 points before the 4th either...

But still, my bad.

8 of 15 points were scored in the 2nd quarter with Boston up by double digits. The other 7 were scored in garbage time.

ESPN Front Page Feature article completely justified.

and why not? If Ian Mahinmi had scored 15 pts in 14 minutes there would be a 45 page thread bitching at Pop for more minutes :lol

urunobili
03-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Finley is simply a stud. I am so glad we signed him. The guy is a cold blooded killer. He brings so much to the team. Clutch shooting, leadership, defense, hustle, slashing to the basket, high basketball IQ, and he is a proven champ.

sorry but i couldn't resist...:lmao

jimo2305
03-16-2010, 05:37 PM
lol..

idc if finley avg'ed 30 ppg as a celtic this season.. im doin' fine without him :D

Stringer_Bell
03-16-2010, 05:49 PM
are you talking about the same garbage of a Piston team that beat the Spurs a couple of weeks ago?

Exactly the same, actually, without Prince and Stuckey. omg what am I talking about Finley is a proven champ! :lmao

Spurs Brazil
03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Finley is done, only Mason can be worst

Xylus
03-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Finley will hopefully take shots away from Rasheed Wallace. That guy chucks up more bad shots than just about anyone in the league. It might be acceptable if he made a lot of them (JR Smith, for example).

TJastal
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Funny how they didn't write an article on finley whil he was with the spurs, but as soon as he goes to one of the media sweethearts he becomes a savior.

It will just be that much more hilarious when ESPN gets egg on the face when Finley's lack of defense and shooting woes surface when the games really count.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Like clockwork...

Michael Finley tonight: 1-9 FG, 0-4 3PT, +/- of -12.

timtonymanu
03-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Like clockwork...

another day at the office for Finley.

AussieFanKurt
03-18-2010, 12:01 AM

:lmao:lmao

loveforthegame
03-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Like clockwork...

Since when does he do something else on a bad shooting night? I saw those 3 rebounds and 5 assists and thought he never did anything like that here.

PublicOption
03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
FIN knew TD was through.