PDA

View Full Version : Worst team commentator

djohn2oo8
03-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Is easily Clyde Drexler. Bill Worrell is also a homer, but Clyde takes it to the extreme, and he is somewhat retarded. Some of his quotes from clutchfans, yes clutchfans, to show how incompetent Clyde really is

"Rafer Alston is one of the premiere point guards in the league"

"He does bring a lot of tangibles to the table."

"Smush Parker is no walkover, he's an all-star caliber point guard playing with the best player in the world."

" It's like clubbing baby seals"

"There's a mouse in the house."

"Worrel: The Spurs are putting on a clinic.....
Drexler: A clinic? Oh yeah, they have had some injuries....."

"... Iceland ... the seventh continent"

"They're fronting Yao from the front and behind"

SomeCallMeTim
03-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Nope. The "worst commentator award" is the Tommy Heinsohn Trophy.

EjU3nvru9wA

Drexler does make a strong case for running second, however.

Kai
03-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Clyde last night: "He's a one-man break!" when Bill was talking about how Lowry has the highest assist percentage on fast breaks in the NBA.

djohn2oo8
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
"Look at Battier in there, selling his body!"

"Turkey-Glue is a great player"

"...which is why Orlando has 59 wins. They are, 57 and 19"

RedsLakers24
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
i just hate Bias Announcers, like the Portland ones and the Celtics, the lakers announcers are just boring

Dex
03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Houston's, New Orleans', and Boston's are all ones that stand out as the worst from my experiences.

Sean Elliott is a blatant homer as well, but as a Spurs fan, I really seem to have a hard time minding.

Dex
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Mark Jackson needs to lose his entire shtick as well.

Allanon
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Clyde ain't shit compared to Tommy.

Hardcore: Tommy

Very Biased announcers: Clyde-Rockets, Elliott-Spurs, Austin Carr-Cavs, Suns, Blazers

Middle ground: Lakers, Grizzlies, Clippers, Jazz

Very fair: Bucks, Nets, Mavs

baseline bum
03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Heinsohn is by far the worst.

lefty
03-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Cleveland announcers are the worst; really annoying

Mr.ChugDynasty
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
C'mon guys...Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ is the worst commentator of all time
He's so much of a homer that it's comical at times

Jazz announcers are right up there though.

Mavs and Lakers are probably the only two elite teams that don't have complete homers as announcers.

noob cake
03-16-2010, 12:44 PM
"Look at Battier in there, selling his body!"

"Turkey-Glue is a great player"

"...which is why Orlando has 59 wins. They are, 57 and 19"

Bullard provides a good fact filled statement/comment

Drexler: "he he" (no response)

So annoying, and stop calling Luis Scola ice cream man

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Tommy Heinsohn is the clear cut #1. No need to explain why that drunk piece of shit sucks.

Eddie Johnson is #2 as far as biased announcers go. "If you want your kids to be good at basketball, you have them watch Steve Nash." Even when I liked Nash that line being recycled over and over again got annoying. You can also count on a few things EJ says to pop up in the paper the next day. The one good game Earl Clark had this year, Eddie Johnson said that Clark shows why Amare isn't worth a max contract and it showed up in the AZ republic the next day. Of course now that statement looks retarded.

j.dizzle
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
LOL easily Boston, Blazers, Rockets, Spurs, Cavs
Tommy is a drunk
Blazers announcers think their team is better then the 96 Bulls lmao
Drexler,Sean & the black dude in Cle are so bad its not even funny..Its never a good idea to put former players as commentators. Its hard to listen too.

Makes me appreciate Lakers announcers even more..They can be boring at times but atleast they call out the Lakers when they're playing like shit & give props to the other teams a lot. Hopefully one day Spero Dedes from 710espn can become the new official commentator for LA..That dude is a joy to listen to, great fuckin voice & play by play.

picc84
03-16-2010, 01:04 PM
No one is worse than the Blazers announcers. Not even Heinsohn, who I thought was somebody's drunk uncle who won a contest to go in the booth the first time I heard broadcast.

Hornets announcers come in a close 3rd. They talk about CP3 like he's their only son and they are soccer moms at a goddamn little league game.

nkdlunch
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Boston Celtics. Not even close.

nkdlunch
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
tommy heinsohn is the clear cut #1. No need to explain why that drunk piece of shit sucks.

+1

DesignatedT
03-16-2010, 01:10 PM
utah is pretty bad imo.

Phillip
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Mavs and Lakers seem to definitely have among the top commentators. Boston is the worst I've heard.

03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Is easily Clyde Drexler. Bill Worrell is also a homer, but Clyde takes it to the extreme, and he is somewhat retarded. Some of his quotes from clutchfans, yes clutchfans, to show how incompetent Clyde really is

"Rafer Alston is one of the premiere point guards in the league"

"He does bring a lot of tangibles to the table."

"Smush Parker is no walkover, he's an all-star caliber point guard playing with the best player in the world."

" It's like clubbing baby seals"

"There's a mouse in the house."

"Worrel: The Spurs are putting on a clinic.....
Drexler: A clinic? Oh yeah, they have had some injuries....."

"... Iceland ... the seventh continent"

"They're fronting Yao from the front and behind"
if those quotes are accurate, that's some funny shit.

IronMexican
03-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Makes me appreciate Lakers announcers even more..They can be boring at times but atleast they call out the Lakers when they're playing like shit & give props to the other teams a lot. Hopefully one day Spero Dedes from 710espn can become the new official commentator for LA..That dude is a joy to listen to, great fuckin voice & play by play.

Be nice if 570 got the rights back though. 710 is so boring.

j.dizzle
03-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Be nice if 570 got the rights back though. 710 is so boring.
710 is a bunch of white dudes mumbling all day hahaa...570 had way more energy & comedy

IronMexican
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah, 570 was so much better. Spero makes it worth listening to 710 pre-game, cause they'll always let you hear the highlights of certain plays.

Besides that, I can't stand to listen to Ireland and the rest of those dudes.

VBM
03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
As a Spurs fan living in Houston over the past 15 years, hearing Drexler on an almost-daily basis makes me wish for the day that this guy comes back...

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/06/02/18/reid.jpg

Bring back Calvin Murphy!

Oh, and Boston's Tommy boy wins this easily...

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2010, 01:45 PM
He puts the "H" in HOMER.

To top it off, he doesn't even have a commanding voice.
Whiny and very nasal.

Somtimes I just want to :pimpslap the boy

Mr. Bum kidney (You know who)

duncan228
03-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Boston Celtics. Not even close.

+1. There are others that can get annoying, but Boston is the only one I've used the mute button on.

RedsLakers24
03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
LOL easily Boston, Blazers, Rockets, Spurs, Cavs
Tommy is a drunk
Blazers announcers think their team is better then the 96 Bulls lmao
Drexler,Sean & the black dude in Cle are so bad its not even funny..Its never a good idea to put former players as commentators. Its hard to listen too.

O I Love Listening to Spero Dedes, i wish he did the Laker Games

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-16-2010, 02:52 PM
E5rWw9VraB4

SomeCallMeTim
03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Since Spring Training is in full swing already, I'll just go on record and say that White Sox play-by-play guy Hawk Harrelson is the MLB equivalent of Heinsohn.

What both these guys have in common is a hardcore fanbase of locals with the "yeah, he's biased... but he's OUR guy" attitude.

Years ago, before NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings, maybe that was more kosher. Not so much these days.

mogrovejo
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't mind biased commentators, be it Tommy or any other. I can't understand why people get so emotional about a biased commentator. Another symptom of the sissification of the society.

What I don't like are ignorant guys or those who don't entertain me. The worst - even worst than Drexler - is Grant Long with the OKC Thunder. Horrible.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-16-2010, 04:42 PM
IMO it's more sissified that most fans refuse to listen to a realistic viewpoint of their team so there are biased announcers who don't give honest commentary because the fans are OK with thinking their team would be the 1996 Bulls reincarnated if not for the refs.

HarlemHeat37
03-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't mind biased announcers at all, they're supposed to appeal to their fanbase..the Heinsohn argument is especially strange to me, since he's easily one of the most entertaining announcers in the NBA..the fact that he complains and screams about everything is extremely entertaining..

A local announcer is supposed to annoy the fans of the opposing team IMO..the Cavs announcers are probably the best at annoying opposite fans right now..Austin Carr's yelling and taunting is great and it works to annoy you, especially since the Cavs win so much, enabling their announcers to act like they do..

The announcers I dislike are the guys that don't entertain at all(really boring) + have limited knowledge + have subtle biases when they're supposed to be national announcers..

Mr Bones
03-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Heinsohn, Eddie Johnson, Sean Eliott-- these are the three that are the worst in my opinion. I like announcers that are real fans of their teams, but if they are completely incapable of any objectivity at all, it's just annoying.

SomeCallMeTim
03-16-2010, 06:07 PM
IMO it's more sissified that most fans refuse to listen to a realistic viewpoint of their team so there are biased announcers who don't give honest commentary because the fans are OK with thinking their team would be the 1996 Bulls reincarnated if not for the refs.

Count it.

SomeCallMeTim
03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't mind biased announcers at all, they're supposed to appeal to their fanbase..the Heinsohn argument is especially strange to me, since he's easily one of the most entertaining announcers in the NBA..the fact that he complains and screams about everything is extremely entertaining..

I guess you and I just have differing viewpoints on what is "entertaining." If I wanted to listen to the semi-coherent ravings of a homer, I'd listen to sports talk radio. But I don't so I don't.

baseline bum
03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I guess you and I just have differing viewpoints on what is "entertaining." If I wanted to listen to the semi-coherent ravings of a homer, I'd listen to sports talk radio. But I don't so I don't.

:lol

Sportstudi
03-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Heinsohn, Eddie Johnson, Sean Eliott-- these are the three that are the worst in my opinion. I like announcers that are real fans of their teams, but if they are completely incapable of any objectivity at all, it's just annoying.

This. To be a fan is one thing, but at least some objectivity should be there. Heinsohn is the worst of all, none of the others is even close.

mogrovejo
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Who are those fans?

The idea that one needs the TV commentators to have realistic viewpoints of one's teams is laughable.

mogrovejo
03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
People are so obsessed with Tommy's anti-refs/homeristic rants that they lose his truly formidable contributions. If they weren't so paranoid they'd be able to understand he has great insight of the game.

baseline bum
03-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Heinsohn is the anti-Chick Hearn. Chick sets the gold standard by far. As long as you were an intelligent fan, Hearn was incredible to listen to, Laker fan or not.

The Gemini Method
03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Heinsohn is the anti-Chick Hearn. Chick sets the gold standard by far. As long as you were an intelligent fan, Hearn was incredible to listen to, Laker fan or not.

This.

JoeTait75
03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
What I don't like are ignorant guys or those who don't entertain me. The worst - even worst than Drexler - is Grant Long with the OKC Thunder. Horrible.

Why does an Eastern Michigan grad and Miami Heat alum do Thunder games?

SomeCallMeTim
03-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Who are those fans?

They're everywhere. Check Celtics Hub, Lakersground, shoot even the forums of lesser teams. Even happens here to some degree in game threads. Delusional fans with horrible biases. Biased commentators just feed into this nonsense and make the paranoia worse.

The idea that one needs the TV commentators to have realistic viewpoints of one's teams is laughable.

As far as I know, we don't "need" commentators at all. A broadcast with ambient crowd noise would work fine for me, though I have to say I appreciate the insight of good commentators.

What I'd really like is for a cable outlet to get innovative and broadcast some games with no commentators, just crowd noise and then get mics all over the floor and benches, including directional mics, so we can hear what the players are saying the whole time. That would be awesome! Never happen though because the NBA would be paranoid about projecting some potty mouth image onto impressionable minds...

duncan228
03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
What I'd really like is for a cable outlet to get innovative and broadcast some games with no commentators, just crowd noise and then get mics all over the floor and benches, including directional mics, so we can hear what the players are saying the whole time. That would be awesome! Never happen though because the NBA would be paranoid about projecting some potty mouth image onto impressionable minds...

I'd like that too. NBA TV did it once a couple of years ago with a Spurs game. It wasn't as good as it could have been, you really couldn't hear the players all that well. I'd love it if they could do it right and let us hear the game on the floor.

cobbler
03-16-2010, 06:57 PM

No announcer is more associated with a team than Chick with the Lakers. We were truly blessed to have him as a commentator. He new the game and was more objective than most (no pun intended). He had no problems calling out the lakers or acknowledging the opposition. The best of the best. :toast

cobbler
03-16-2010, 07:00 PM
I'd like that too. NBA TV did it once a couple of years ago with a Spurs game. It wasn't as good as it could have been, you really couldn't hear the players all that well. I'd love it if they could do it right and let us hear the game on the floor.

The guy working the delay button is gonna be busy!

Muser
03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I love Sean, but he really needs to tone down the homerism. Manu could spear someone and he'd still argue about it.

Although he is damn awesome sometimes, when Blair had that monster 20-20 game but got fouled out he want crazy :lol.

mogrovejo
03-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Why does an Eastern Michigan grad and Miami Heat alum do Thunder games?

I have no idea. He's a local? No, looked it up, he was born in Mich. I don't know, I wish they hired someone else. He says so many nonsensical things.

They're everywhere. Check Celtics Hub, Lakersground, shoot even the forums of lesser teams. Even happens here to some degree in game threads. Delusional fans with horrible biases. Biased commentators just feed into this nonsense and make the paranoia worse.

I know there are extremely biased fans. I read Spurstalk. I don't care much and I fail to see why would anyone care. What I want to know is where are the fans who refuse to listen to "realistic" analysts. I found the existence of those fans pretty unbelievable. What we know is that some fans are so sensitive that they get emotional because of biased analysts. Which is funny.

As far as I know, we don't "need" commentators at all. A broadcast with ambient crowd noise would work fine for me, though I have to say I appreciate the insight of good commentators.

Yeps. If people cant' deal with homeristic commentators I think NBA is smart in protecting them from harsher things.

baseline bum
03-16-2010, 07:47 PM
In other words, you're a fag if you don't like listening to the retarded rantings of the obnoxious fatass Heinsohn.

Biggems
03-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Clyde ain't shit compared to Tommy.

Hardcore: Tommy

Very Biased announcers: Clyde-Rockets, Elliott-Spurs, Austin Carr-Cavs, Suns, Blazers

Middle ground: Lakers, Grizzlies, Clippers, Jazz

Very fair: Bucks, Nets, Mavs

You guys do realize that these announcers get paid by the teams they announce for, and so of course they are homers. Also, in several cases, these players tended to play for the team they announce for.

I can say this about Elliott, while he is a huge homer, at least he is able to give props to the opponent quite a bit, as well as call out the Spurs when they are screwing up or when they are the beneficiaries of bad call by the refs.

The guy I cannot stand is Eddie Johnson from PHX. That guy is a total homer. I mean the Suns walk on water. If they lose, it was cause of the refs or the Suns played bad....never because the opponent outplayed them. He is completely disgusting. The other one on his level is the guy from Boston.

One guy who I used to enjoy was Johnny Kerr. He was a Bulls announcer, but at least he could call a game and make it enjoyable even if you were not a Bulls fan.

jdev82
03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
best are the bucks and clips. worst are cavs, grizz, hornets and rockettes. lakers are decent, but the color guy sucks. boring shit.

ulosturedge
03-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Whenever a game is broadcasted Nationally I watch the game on that channel because I like hearing the unbiased opinions. There is much more validation when you hear things from someone who isn't trying to take sides.

Homerism doesn't get to me unless its overboard homerism. I mean if your team is constantly lottery bound ever year how can these commentators act like its some big conspiracy, and when they win a regular season game they act like they just won the Superbowl.

Yeah Sean is a homer, but it's expected. He won a championship with a lot of those guys on the team. I wouldn't expect any less. Some of the shit he says is really damn funny too. Not your typical commentator, and that's what I like. He reminds me of Charles and his remarks, but in a different way lol.

I don't think bad commentating and being a homer commentator really need to have a direct correlation here. Look at Bill Walton. He wasn't biased, but he was the most boring and retarded commentator I ever heard. I hated hearing him commentate.

SomeCallMeTim
03-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Whenever a game is broadcasted Nationally I watch the game on that channel because I like hearing the unbiased opinions. There is much more validation when you hear things from someone who isn't trying to take sides.

I hear you on that. The only downside is most natl analysts tend to give shallow, "conventional wisdom" analysis. They can't follow all the teams closely so they just go with the most obvious angles.

I don't think bad commentating and being a homer commentator really need to have a direct correlation here. Look at Bill Walton. He wasn't biased, but he was the most boring and retarded commentator I ever heard. I hated hearing him commentate.

Hey, I love Bill Walton and really miss the bait-a-thons he and and Snapper would engage in during broadcasts. But there's no accounting for taste. :lol

TheSullyMonster
03-17-2010, 07:57 AM

Really? I remember muting the 2007 finals and turning on WOAI, it was so bad.

Look at Bill Walton. He wasn't biased, but he was the most boring and retarded commentator I ever heard. I hated hearing him commentate.

Throw it down, big man!:wow:lmao

AussieFanKurt
03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Heinsohn is definitely the worst

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Who are those fans?

Most fans are like that. Most fans only want to hear about the good stuff, and when they hear bad stuff, they call that person a hater. In 2005, when the Suns won 62 games, Barkley pointed out how they don't play defense and rebound, and the entire city labeled him as a bitter hater who blindly criticizes the Suns. The thing is, Barkley didn't say the Suns don't play defense and don't rebound because he's a hater, he said they don't play defense and don't rebound because they don't play defense and they don't rebound.

mogrovejo
03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Most fans are like that. Most fans only want to hear about the good stuff, and when they hear bad stuff, they call that person a hater. In 2005, when the Suns won 62 games, Barkley pointed out how they don't play defense and rebound, and the entire city labeled him as a bitter hater who blindly criticizes the Suns. The thing is, Barkley didn't say the Suns don't play defense and don't rebound because he's a hater, he said they don't play defense and don't rebound because they don't play defense and they don't rebound.

Barkley said that because he's an ignorant drunk: in that season the Suns were an average defensive team who was top-10 in the league in eFG allowed even though they were by far the team with the smaller FTM/FGA ratio. They probably lead the league in PPG allowed and Barkley, in his majestic stupidity and unable to understand the concept of pace, assumed their defence was horrid.

He was right about the rebounding.

Anyway, those fans are no different than the fans that complain about TV analysts being homers. Over-emotional, reactionary fans.

Sean Cagney
04-11-2015, 01:01 AM
Google worst commentator after tonights game and low and behold this comes up here.

Clipper Nation
04-11-2015, 02:16 AM
The Rockets commentators make Mike Smith sound like Ian Eagle by comparison.

Robz4000
04-11-2015, 03:16 AM
How was Drexler not the universal pick in this thread?

Thread
04-11-2015, 04:45 AM
^Your Sean is a sneaky little troll of a shit. We have a bunch of those types all over this fuckin' town, from baseball to football to basketball to hockey. Nothing, and I mean nothing is ever "Phoenix" fault. It's always injury, officiating, schedule, officiating, weather, officiating,,,,,,. And your Sean ain't even black. He's a double stuft Oreo.

Vash StampedE
04-11-2015, 06:53 AM
After watching the last Hou-SAS game, I'd have to say the Houston commentators are the worst mainly because of Drexler. Keeps complaining, wants the whole game to be officiated on their favor. It just makes the game hard to watch.

ddjeffries
04-11-2015, 07:14 AM
drexler is terrible. The NBA should be embarrassed. All teams have biased announcers but he was completely unreasonable. How are you honestly going to complain about flopping when you have the worst flopper in the league on your team right now? No one flops more then Harden to get the ridiculous amount of FT he gets a game.

Venti Quattro
04-11-2015, 07:49 AM
Tommy Heinsohn
Mike Rice
Clyde Drexler

jeebus
04-11-2015, 09:15 AM
If Drexler is still alive and doing Rockets games in 30 years, he'll still be bringing up the '93, '94, '95 championship seasons. He makes Elliott look like Walter Cronkite.

hater
04-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Cant get worst that Clyde tbh. He boasts about Harden making record breaking free throws and leading the league and the next minute, calls Diaw, Manu and Mills the biggest flippers in the league.

It's unbelievable tbh

weebo
04-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Howard is literally collapsing Baynes's adam's apple with cheap shot elbows to the neck and calls it fighting for positioning. :lol

manufan10
04-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Howard is literally collapsing Baynes's adam's apple with cheap shot elbows to the neck and calls it fighting for positioning. :lol

But when Baynes does it back to Howard :cry it's a foul! :cry

ElNono
04-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Heinson is just as bad, tbh... what happens is that once they have a good team, they get overconfident on top of absolutely retarded. It's like they have a team to back up all the asinine bullshit that comes out of their mouth.

That's why it was extra great to listen his ass crying non-stop the last couple games.