PDA

View Full Version : Pop Haters

Dr. Gonzo
03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
For the ones that claim Pop is a retard and want him fired for not playing Mahinmi and Ratcliff, what available coach do you want coaching the Spurs instead?

Blackjack
03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm not qualified (but I hear Fabbs has a list :smokin).

Dr. Gonzo
03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I would've expected this thread to be at 2 or 3 pages by now with all the people that made up such clever names for Pop like Popabitch, Popamoron, etc. It seems that 90% of the board want him fired. I'm just curious who they would want him replaced with.

honestfool84
03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Red Auerbach

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/basketball/nba/10/28/auerbach.flashback/p1.auerbach.si.jpg

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm available. I'll just put that out there.

MB3//
03-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Hatin on Pop was sooooo 3 weeks ago!
Going 7-1 in that stretch helps too.

DAF86
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm having a deja vu.

Warlord23
03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I can't speak for Fabbs, but most posters whom you label as "Pop haters" don't normally think/post about firing/replacing him.

Most of the consternation is about Pop's decisions this season, including the inconsistent rotations, his penchant for smallball, his love affair with Bogans, the baffling treatment of Hairston and Mahinmi, the usage of Ratliff, etc. That is criticism, which is different from calling for his head. Are you saying that Pop is above criticism? Heck, Tim / Tony / Manu get criticized when they suck, so why not Pop?

Right now, Pop's decision making sucks. He is making mistakes with playing time, matchups, 5-man units etc. This is something that you or TPark or some of the Pop supporters never acknowledge. Mind you, it's not as if this is the first year such criticism has been directed at Pop. Earlier, it used to be around Finley's minutes, poor usage of Hill till it was too late (the Mavs were running a train on us last playoffs), making Mason Jr. play backup point and ruining his overall play in the process, giving Bonner too much playing time etc.

Yes, the team has declined. But that doesn't excuse Pop's coaching.

Regarding other coaches, the NBA is funny with the way coaches succeed/fail. The same Larry Brown who took a Detroit team without a top-10 player in the league to 2 Finals was fired by the Knicks. Doc Rivers was fired in 2003 before winning it all in 2008. Rudy Tomjanovich was a disappointment with LA. People win coach of the year one year and get fired the next.

Coaching success is very contextual. It takes a combination of things to help a coach succeed. Pop is the known commodity and has past success, so nobody can predict who else can succeed with this Spurs roster and their current condition. But none of that can excuse Pop's obvious errors this year.

whottt
03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
AJ
PJ
That assistant coach dude for the Grizz :tu

alchemist
03-16-2010, 04:37 PM
any D-League coach would win 60+ games with this team :rolleyes

DesignatedT
03-16-2010, 04:39 PM
AJ
PJ

thats a terrible list. :bang

ezzizle
03-16-2010, 04:41 PM
any D-League coach would win 60+ games with this team :rolleyes

:lol

grab JVG or Dikembe Mutumbo !
jk Pop's fine .

blkroadrunners
03-16-2010, 04:43 PM
AJ
PJ

Eww..

jjktkk
03-16-2010, 04:54 PM

No, but its not easy to replace players from a champioship team either. Thats why all sports dynasties eventually end. We Spurs fans are finding out just how hard it is to replace a David Robinson, a Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_, a Robert Horry, a Bruce Bowen, etc... Pop was able to win more championships when the Admiral, and Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ retired, but when you keep losing great playersand, or great role players like Horry and Bowen, its going to eventually take a tole on your ability to contend for a championship. IMO all the crazy lineups Pop has tried the past couple of years, is Pop's endless search for that linup that can "capture lightening in a bottle" so to speak.

03-16-2010, 04:57 PM
jacque vaughn!

TIMMYD!
03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
No, but its not easy to replace players from a champioship team either. Thats why all sports dynasties eventually end. We Spurs fans are finding out just how hard it is to replace a David Robinson, a Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_, a Robert Horry, a Bruce Bowen, etc... Pop was able to win more championships when the Admiral, and Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ retired, but when you keep losing great playersand, or great role players like Horry and Bowen, its going to eventually take a tole on your ability to contend for a championship. IMO all the crazy lineups Pop has tried the past couple of years, is Pop's endless search for that linup that can "capture lightening in a bottle" so to speak.

Luck_The_Fakers just threw me off. :lol

DesignatedT
03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
1.Bill Self
2.Mark Turgeon

mazerrackham
03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
1.Bill Self
2.Mark Turgeon

Hey, I don't wanna see Mark Turgeon leave A&M :P

DesignatedT
03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey, I don't wanna see Mark Turgeon leave A&M :P

haha me neither! i love turge

jjktkk
03-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Luck_The_Fakers just threw me off. :lol

Someone on here edited my post. I never wrote that luck the fakers crap. I didn't know someone could do that.

whottt
03-16-2010, 06:12 PM
thats a terrible list. :bang

Ok...how about:

AJ
PJ
That assistant coach dude for the Grizz
That college coach dude for that program that has never won anything and has no pro experience... I mean hey, tha's what Pop was at one time.

TJastal
03-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Someone on here edited my post. I never wrote that luck the fakers crap. I didn't know someone could do that.

:lmao

Mel_13
03-16-2010, 06:21 PM
lol @ whottt having to spoonfeed the sarcasm.

DesignatedT
03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Ok...how about:

AJ
PJ
That assistant coach dude for the Grizz
That college coach dude for that program that has never won anything and has no pro experience... I mean hey, tha's what Pop was at one time.

thats better.

timaios
03-16-2010, 07:22 PM
For the ones that claim Pop is a retard and want him fired for not playing Mahinmi and Ratcliff, what available coach do you want coaching the Spurs instead?

2007 Pop.

whottt
03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm thinking...

Bob Weiss
Del Harris
Flip Saunders
Larry Brown should be about done in Charlotte
Maybe George Karl could be pried loose from Denver
Rambis
Doug Collins
Mike Fratello
Van the man Gundy
Nelly...

Is Bill Fitch still alive?

Remember, we need a coach that doesn't do stupid things and wins.

alchemist
03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
2007 Pop. 2003 Duncan. 2007 Parker. 2005 Manu
:wakeup

whottt
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Isiah does have one hell of an eye for talent :tu

Fabbs
03-17-2010, 07:01 AM
I can't speak for Fabbs, but most posters whom you label as "Pop haters" don't normally think/post about firing/replacing him.

Most of the consternation is about Pop's decisions this season, including the inconsistent rotations, his penchant for smallball, his love affair with Bogans, the baffling treatment of Hairston and Mahinmi, the usage of Ratliff, etc. That is criticism, which is different from calling for his head. Are you saying that Pop is above criticism? Heck, Tim / Tony / Manu get criticized when they suck, so why not Pop?

Right now, Pop's decision making sucks. He is making mistakes with playing time, matchups, 5-man units etc. This is something that you or TPark or some of the Pop supporters never acknowledge. Mind you, it's not as if this is the first year such criticism has been directed at Pop. Earlier, it used to be around Finley's minutes, poor usage of Hill till it was too late (the Mavs were running a train on us last playoffs), making Mason Jr. play backup point and ruining his overall play in the process, giving Bonner too much playing time etc.

Regarding other coaches, the NBA is funny with the way coaches succeed/fail. The same Larry Brown who took a Detroit team without a top-10 player in the league to 2 Finals was fired by the Knicks. Doc Rivers was fired in 2003 before winning it all in 2008. Rudy Tomjanovich was a disappointment with LA. People win coach of the year one year and get fired the next.

Coaching success is very contextual. It takes a combination of things to help a coach succeed. Pop is the known commodity and has past success, so nobody can predict who else can succeed with this Spurs roster and their current condition. But none of that can excuse Pop's obvious errors this year.
Excellent post.

KuntryDude
03-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Sam Mitchell..........
B Scott............

nkdlunch
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm sure PopHaters have plenty of suggestions:
- Phil Jackson's brother
- Big Blue (IBM supercomputer)
- Robocop
- A toaster with a nice suit on

Fabbs
03-17-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm sure PopHaters have plenty of suggestions:
- Phil Jackson's brother
- Big Blue (IBM supercomputer)
- Robocop
- A toaster with a nice suit on
:toast None of whom damage the Spurs Championship chances by an affair with Myke Finley and others.

Sisk
03-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Eww..

This

and see my title.

Fabbs
03-18-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm not qualified (but I hear Fabbs has a list :smokin).
Right on brother.
It was on a thread Monroe: "Finley now Spurs' reluctant elder" when i promised Eric_Park and The View gals a list.
Also i truly believed and believe that Phil Jackson would have considered the Spurs in the summer of 2005. Of course Poop seemed uncuttable to most at the time, as it seemed even he could not screw up that Championship roster and then the addition of Finley heading into 2006.

Pat Riles
Phil Jackson
Fabbs
Aggie Hoops Fan
Bill Russell
John Wooden
Tim Duncan
Bruce Bowen
Manu GNob
Bob Horry
Billy Walton
Ben Howland
Hakeem O
Tom Thibodeau
Tim Grgurich
Rick Carlisle
Jerry Sloan
Nate McMillan
Rick Adleman
Doug Moe

Fabbs
03-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Now we have the suggestions. What's next for the Pop boppers?
Hey and I'm not leaving out you and a lot of other boardies, init2winit.
Just that T_Parkle-Cane insisted i limit it to 20.
Jon Wooden passed away since. Or that still make Wooden more qualified to know not to play Mike Finley and Matt Bonner at the power forward spot? :rollin
I see Ian finally got some more burn tonight and again looked very good.:rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-18-2010, 12:26 AM
The Spurs could coach the team by doing polls in Gamethreads on Spurstalk and get a better coaching performance than they've gotten out of Pop this season and last.

SequSpur
03-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Damn, i must say you hit it right on the head with this take. Dead on correct.

Spursfan092120
03-18-2010, 11:15 AM
It happens when you don't spell Sean ELLIOTT's name right.

SequSpur
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
I think Avery would do good in this transition. I can't believe I am saying that, but I really do. I think he would do good with Tony Parker and George Hill. Tony Parker needs to develop into a different point guard, his speed this year has been lacking and he is not getting younger. He needs to learn how to make others betters rather than making everyone else a spectator. He also needs to shoot it from downtown more...

Alot of the Spurs seem to be neurotic on the court rather than playing freely and stroking it....

It seems that they all run around like beaten down dogs waiting to be yelled at by Pop.

I think it's key to put Ian and Duncan in the lineup together and see what happens...Fuck, it can't be any worse...

Also, the next time Bonner decides to penetrate and think that he can go Kareem from 15 feet away, he should be immediately relocated to the taco cabana restaurant in the ATT Center...

Bogans should be waived immediately so Pop will quit calling his name.

tlongII
03-18-2010, 02:20 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/seriously.jpg