PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Brooks for Most Improved Player?

djohn2oo8
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
The numbers are persuasive, and in the Daryl Morey era, numbers are always considered, usually valued and sometimes celebrated.
This was not about numbers.

Aaron Brooks has had those for much of the season. No player qualified to be among the NBA statistical leaders has increased his scoring from last season to this season as much as Brooks. He has gone from 11.2 points per game last season to 20 this season. Only one, Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook, has had a greater increase in assists.
Rockets coach Rick Adelman, however, might have made a greater statement — actions speak louder than statistics? — about his third-year point guard on Monday when with the score tied in the closing seconds, he put the game in Brooks' hands.

His “faith,” as Brooks called it, was rewarded when Brooks hit the game-winner from 20 feet with 2.9 seconds left.
Adelman also demonstrated how far Brooks had come in his first full season as a starter.

“It's faith,” Brooks said. “There's been a bunch of times when I didn't make the shot. Coach continues to put faith in me that I'm going to make the right decision and make the shot.”
Mixing it up

In many ways, Adelman sees the improvement to come as much as the strides already taken. There have been missteps late in games, but the Rockets believe each experience — good and bad — has made Brooks stronger and smarter in those situations.

“He's getting better,” Adelman said. “He's understanding what he can do, how teams are playing him. I think he's got to work on mixing it up like he did (Monday) night. He's got the mid-range game. He has to look for that a little bit more.

“He still has to work on (late-game execution of the offense). He has to understand when we need to move the ball a little bit, when to attack. Sometimes he attacks one-on-four. There's nothing there. He needs to mix that up a little to where they're not set and ready for him, knowing he is going to attack.

“It's a process.”
But when asked how well Brooks has advanced this season, Adelman did not hesitate.

“Oh, totally different,” Adelman said. “His confidence level is totally different. He can have a tough quarter or even a tough half. Eventually it's going to come to him. Very seldom does he have a whole game that's not good. Last year, he was just feeling it out.”
The statistics do demonstrate the improved consistency with the increased role. Brooks has scored in double figures in 37 consecutive games. Prior to that, his longest streak of games scoring at least 10 points was seven.
Long before his last shot on Monday knocked off the Nuggets, his first shot stretched his streak of games with at least one 3-pointer to 38, the longest active streak in the NBA and the Rockets franchise record.
“The game slowed down a lot for me,” Brooks said. “I take more of a leadership role. I'm increasing in every category, so I guess those are most improved things.”
Accolades for Aaron?

With just 17 games remaining, Brooks is by far the Rockets' most viable award candidate. The Rockets have not won an individual NBA performance award since Steve Francis was the Co-rookie of the Year in 2000, and if Brooks becomes their first-ever Most Improved winner, it would be a breakthrough for a team that has not had an All-Star, player of the month or player of the week selection this season.

“The main goal is just to win championships,” Brooks said. “As far as personally, to get some kind of accolade this season, the fact is no one had us in this position. A lot of stuff I've been through in my life basketball-wise, the highs and lows, to finally get an award in the pros would be a big accomplishment for me.

“It's for the team, too. I think we deserve something as a team. We didn't have anybody representing us in the All-Star game. We didn't have any (national) television games. We are playing basketball down here. It would be good to have recognition for this team.”
For now, however, he said he is still working to improve, especially late in games. Brooks said he has learned to avoid contact, believing that more is allowed late in games, and how to measure defenses that know he is
coming.

“Even in isolation, everyone is sitting there looking at you,” he said. “They know you are going to take the shots.”
It has become obvious — and a sign of improvement that goes well beyond the numbers.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6916531.html

Kai
03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd say Andrew Bogut.

Chieflion
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Hands down Andrew Bogut. Should have been an all-star. Post ASG, has 3.57 blocks a game. If Russell Westbrook wasn't a sophomore, he could be ranked 2nd, there is that stigma that doesn't allow sophomore players to get MIP.

Of course, Andray Blatche would have been my pick if he was doing that shit the whole year.

spizzle_tronk
03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Bogut was a borderline bust before recently, so yeah, Bogut for MIP. Brooks was never bad, he just needed playing time and experience to blossom.

noob cake
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Bogut manned up and learn to play defense/block shots.

Brooks is so overrated that it is not even funny.

sook
03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Durant.

Went from Very GOOD to the 3rd best player in the NBA just this season. He has improved the most.

ezzizle
03-17-2010, 03:06 PM
he does deserve it

Muser
03-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Bogut, and it's not even close.

djohn2oo8
03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Bogut manned up and learn to play defense/block shots.

Still on that bullshit, I see

And Bogut was a lottery pick, he is supposed to be doing what he's doing

anakha
03-17-2010, 03:58 PM

That has no bearing on MIP consideration.

Kai
03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Still on that bullshit, I see

Bogut was drafted number 1 overall, but the award is for players that were playing at a certain level before the current season to a much higher level. Brook hasn't exactly transformed, although He has steadily improved as a starter.

mogrovejo
03-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Bogut was already this good this past season. Read some of my posts. It's just that you weren't watching him. His production declined a bit due to injuries, but when he was healthy he was the player he's this season. Most of Bogut progression came in the last 2 seasons, not in this one.

the only reason Bogut would win the prize is because people weren't watching the Bucks last season and were caught off-guard.

mogrovejo
03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh, and I'm down with Josh Smith. I never thought he'd be able to play with so much discipline, focus and purpose so soon.

cobbler
03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Sasha by far. He made a basket this year.

Seriously though... you have to also consider Frye, Douglas-Roberts, Gallinari, and Noah (injury would hurt his chances)

duhoh
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM

so says the noob on lowry's sack

DaDakota
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
AB...9 more PPG....NINE !!

Dude is a stud.

DD

Tmac&Luther
03-17-2010, 11:21 PM

And you are so stupid it's absolutely hilarious, so things more than even out.

The longer this season goes on, the bigger the fool you become.

WESTACKED
03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
If Brooks is nominated MIP then any other Rocket deserves a runner up award. In fact every Rocket play has developed a lot since getting undressed from the yokes.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Sasha by far. He made a basket this year.

Seriously though... you have to also consider Frye, Douglas-Roberts, Gallinari, and Noah (injury would hurt his chances)

Vagina Frye won't even be a candidate for this award, he hasn't done much since bombing a bunch of 3's to begin the season. Another thing Barkley is right about. Frye potentially could have been a useful in other ways and the Suns decided to turn him into a one dimensional player who chucks 3's, and it's gonna end up killing his career just like Quentin Richardson.