PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Omar Samhan

Bruno
03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/bill_trocchi/01/13/thursday.scout/p1.omar-sahman.ap.jpg
Height: 6-11
Weight: 265 lbs
Birthday: 11/03/1988
College: Saint Mary's

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omar-Samhan-1194/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/omar-samhan)

Truckules
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm watching this guy play right now. He's got some serious skills.

Truckules
03-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Samhan's final tally for the game was 29 points on 11-16 shooting, 12 rebounds, and a block. He has really nice footwork and post moves. He has a decent hook shot and a decent jump shot. He's not athletic, but he's very skilled.

mountainballer
03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
definitely interesting for the 2nd round. could easily lose some more weight.
btw. Saint Mary can put a lot of size on the court with him and Ben Allen. in the next round Nova will face some troubles to counter this size in the paint. (they are clearly the much better team tough)

Truckules
03-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Samhan's tally at halftime against Villanova is 15 points on 7-9 shooting and 6 rebounds. He's done damage against everyone Villanova has put on him, both offensively and defensively.

Whisky Dog
03-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Samhan is one skilled dude. Reminds me of Kevin Love. I think he can be a good bench big at the next level if he drops weight and improves his quickness

benefactor
03-20-2010, 02:11 PM
32pts...dude is owning.

benefactor
03-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Oh...and I fully approve of the Spurs using a second round pick on this kid. He's not even on DX's mock right now, but he could show up in the second round if takes St. Marys much further.

mountainballer
03-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh...and I fully approve of the Spurs using a second round pick on this kid. He's not even on DX's mock right now, but he could show up in the second round if takes St. Marys much further.

agree. quite some talent.
on the other hand, he is really really slow.
maybe this isn't fair, but I can't help, he reminds me a bit about Rafael Araujo.

Truckules
03-25-2010, 10:41 AM
agree. quite some talent.
on the other hand, he is really really slow.
maybe this isn't fair, but I can't help, he reminds me a bit about Rafael Araujo.

He'll have his chance tomorrow to prove he can be effective even though he is extremely athletically challenged. Baylor has a really good frontcourt that also has height. If he can be effective against Udoh and Lomers, I'll be 100% sold on using a second-rounder on him.

AFBlue
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
He'll have his chance tomorrow to prove he can be effective even though he is extremely athletically challenged. Baylor has a really good frontcourt that also has height. If he can be effective against Udoh and Lomers, I'll be 100% sold on using a second-rounder on him.

I think he gets owned. Villanova's small frontcourt made him look like a stud, but he'll be really challenged against a legit 7-footer and an athletic shot-blocker.

Book it!

mountainballer
03-25-2010, 11:47 AM
yes. Baylor is perfectly equipped to stop SM. (also when they try to go super big with Senham and Allen in the frontcourt). and SM also won't take advantage from the small back court of Baylor, because their own back court is even smaller.
Acy could be the x factor. SM shouldn't have a player who could defend him.

mogrovejo
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I think he's better than Araujo. More skilled, more polished, better hands. I think he's an excellent player for Europe. In the NBA he'd be eaten alive. Too much slowness and stiffness for nowadays game.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I didn't know anything about this guy but just went and watched his MM games and he's a sweetly fundamental big man. He would've killed them in the NBA in the '50s.

Samhan is one skilled dude. Reminds me of Kevin Love. I think he can be a good bench big at the next level if he drops weight and improves his quickness

Agreed, although I'd say "might" rather than "can".

I would add a question to all - how would you compare Bogut in his College career with Samhan? Bogut is another guy who plays largely below the rim, although he is explosive on occasion. I have a feeling he is also sneaky quick, which Samhan will probably never be. Would Bogut have owned Samhan if they had played in College?

Also, love McConnell and his high arcing 3s, and all those solidly fundamental Aussies on St Mary's playing team-focused 'ball. :toast

Truckules
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Would Bogut have owned Samhan if they had played in College?

Probably. If Samhan can hit the weights and the gym and lose 10-15 more pounds, I'd really like this guy as an NBA player. If he were to enter the NBA right now, I don't think he'd be nearly as effective as he is in college due to how slow he is and how little of a vertical he has. I'm pretty sure his vertical is in the negatives. However, I could see him being a 1st round pick, maybe even a lottery pick, if he gained agility and jumping power.

I'd be fine with Pop taking a chance on him, and making sure he gets in the weight room, eats and exercises right, and gets some experience against NBA players. I don't know if the FO is seriously looking at any big men in this draft because I think everyone wants Splitter. Drafting a big man would probably delay Splitter from coming over more.

mogrovejo
03-26-2010, 04:08 PM
I've only watched 1 or 2 games of Bogut in college, but when he entered the league he carried a lot less weight than he does today. He was pretty lean and fairly athletic; he played at the 4 his rookie season. He still is deceptively quick and explosive. Samham is nowhere near Bogut's athleticism and probably is even further behind in terms of feel for the game.

pad300
03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Anyplace below 35 or so, I would consider him a good draft pick. If he falls to our 2nd round pick at 50...
While he has slow and stiff issues, but he has dropped 60+ lbs in college. He's still not really in shape, that'll take 2 more years in the D-League, one dropping another 15 lbs, and the 2nd for conditioning (He can currently run a 5.5 minute mile; when he started college that was 8.5 minutes. Again, further weight loss, plyometrics training and conditioning could easily lead to further improvement) . So what. The Spurs need 6 bigs next season, and it would be good if one could go D- league
Duncan, Blair, Mcdyess (guaranteed contracts)
Splitter (expected to come over)
Bonner/Mahinmi/Vet min FA (pick one)
Samhan (condition and develop in the D-League).

Guys with his post scoring skills are simply NOT common. He has demonstrated the ability to work hard and be disciplined... For a 2nd round pick, there ain't much better to be expected.

mogrovejo
03-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Eaten alive.

exstatic
04-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Plodder. MAJORLY unathletic on the NBA level.

hsxvvd
04-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Hopefully all the aussies will convince Samhan to move down under and he will DOMINATE in the NBL for many years to come.

NBA. No.

DesignatedT
04-05-2010, 03:12 AM
this guy is majorly overrated.

Solid D
06-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm pulling for this guy to make it in the NBA. Call it a guilty pleasure or a hunch but Omar's NCAA tournament performance convinced me that he can go against the odds and make a spot for himself, somewhere.

(edit: 'thought this was a think tank topic. Feel free to consolidate, if so desired)