View Full Version : IAN Observation...

SequSpur
03-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Did I not see IAN score 10 points in the 4th quarter, block a shot, get a few rebounds and alter about 5 shots and set picks for the guards and help his team get easy shots?

Why the fuck is he not playing with Tim?

Dude, this dude is going to jet this team and fuckin play 30+ minutes a night for someone else next year and probably average a double double...

and on another note...why in the fuck is Bonner penetrating and shooting Jabbar hooks from 15 feet away? Geezus fuckin kriste man.....

I don't mind losing but this line up shit is ridiculous...

Bogans? Come on Pop...

Libri
03-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Bogans guarding Howard. lol

jjktkk
03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Thats the best I've seen Ian play. He looks like he can at least get in the rotation, but Pop obviously does not trust Mahimni enough to give him any minutes besides garbage time.

objective
03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
I think he only had 2 rebounds.

2 more than Bonner! :lol

But he was 2nd to Bonner in +/-.

ducks
03-17-2010, 11:58 PM
dude it was in garbage time
ofcourse duncan is only good when he plays with tp

Snaq O'Meal
03-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Why not? In the eyes of a HOF coach with 4 titles, he's the CENTERpiece of the defence. LOL!

On a separate note, I wonder how the team can attract a big man to play for them next season, given the treatment that Mahinmi and Ratliff have received.

SequSpur
03-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Why not? In the eyes of a HOF coach with 4 titles, he's the CENTERpiece of the defence. LOL!

On a separate note, I wonder how the team can attract a big man to play for them next season, given the treatment that Mahinmi and Ratliff have received.

and mason and jefferson and scola and oberto and mcdyess and finley....Pop is just fuckin killin players man...

HarlemHeat37
03-18-2010, 12:04 AM
This was easily Ian's best performance in his limited time this season IMO, and he did it against probably the 3rd best bench big man in the NBA..

Most important thing of all was that he played defense with his positioning instead of using his hands and fouling, and he did this against 2 very good bigs in Gortat and Bass..granted they probably weren't going a 100% due to it being garbage time, but it was still encouraging..

Pop clearly doesn't trust Ian in any way, even having the new D-leaguers subbing in before him in these games(although they play different positions)..with Blair's struggles lately, Duncan looking for some rest and Ian looking good in this game, hopefully it encourages Pop a little..although highly unlikely..

TJastal
03-18-2010, 12:12 AM
and on another note...why in the fuck is Bonner penetrating and shooting Jabbar hooks from 15 feet away? Geezus fuckin kriste man.....

:lol

The master of the 'junk shot' Matt Bonner... too bad most of his junk shots ARE junk.

SenorSpur
03-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Trust be dammed. Again, the kid possesses a set of skills the Spurs have very little of. Size, quickness, ability to rebound, block shots and score in the paint. Plus the guy gets up and down the floor and gives good effort. It appears he's hungry to prove himself and seems to be making the most of his opportunities. All of those are big deals - especially for a roster that has an aging superstar, who still is forced to carry far too much responsibility on both ends of the court.

The more I see of Ian, the less I believe the Spurs will be stupid enough to simply allow this kid to leave without trying to resign him. Splitter or no Splitter, this kid could and should be an integral part of their future.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Yeah but we were playing New Jersey..... [/Popapologist]

jjktkk
03-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah but we were playing New Jersey..... [/Popapologist]

Pop will forgive you for being an Aggie.

TIMMYD!
03-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Trust be dammed. Again, the kid possesses a set of skills the Spurs have very little of. Size, quickness, ability to rebound, block shots and score in the paint. Plus the guy gets up and down the floor and gives good effort. It appears he's hungry to prove himself and seems to be making the most of his opportunities. All of those are big deals - especially for a roster that has an aging superstar, who still is forced to carry far too much responsibility on both ends of the court.

The more I see of Ian, the less I believe the Spurs will be stupid enough to simply allow this kid to leave without trying to resign him. Splitter or no Splitter, this kid could and should be an integral part of their future.

+100000

Ian has the skills we, on the board, have been looking for all season but Pop has refused to play him and there's not much we can do. :depressed

Borosai
03-18-2010, 12:54 AM
The Spurs should have played Ratliff instead of giving him away. Now they are left with Duncan and Mahinmi as their only big bigs, and honestly, Duncan isn't the interior defensive presence he once was, and Mahinmi can't sniff the court. Ian isn't amazing, but the guy can help this team. I'd rather see him struggle a bit than watch the Spurs play micro-ball, which will get them absolutely nowhere.

FeZZy
03-18-2010, 12:59 AM
boom too bad its never going to happen keep wishing lucky go wishbone

Sean Cagney
03-18-2010, 01:46 AM

Yes but RJ sucks with TP, good otherwise so............

Libri
03-18-2010, 02:11 AM

I'm not completely sure, but I believe the Spurs will hold Ian's bird rights after this season. Ian has been under contract for three seasons. I don't know if this will play a part in resigning Ian or not.

mingus
03-18-2010, 02:17 AM
the reason they're not playing Mahinimi is because he has talent and they want to be able to give him an ea cheap extension. the only way they do that is by concealing his talent so that there's not much competition for the Spurs to sign him.

it's gotten so fucking ridiculous to me that this is the only thing that makes sense. i don't know why else you'd not play an athletic 7-footer who shows potential in the limited time he's out there, esp. when McDyess is playing like absolute shit is almost every aspect.

objective
03-18-2010, 02:20 AM
I'm not completely sure, but I believe the Spurs will hold Ian's bird rights after this season. Ian has been under contract for three seasons. I don't know if this will play a part in resigning Ian or not.

unfortunately if I understand things correctly they gave up his bird rights when they declined his option for next year.

They are limited to either signing him to a contract no bigger than what they declined (or what he makes now, i forget), which is like 1.7 a year, or having to use portions of the MLE if they want to keep him.

DesignatedT
03-18-2010, 02:21 AM
pleaseeeeee

senorglory
03-18-2010, 02:31 AM
I'd rather see him struggle a bit than watch the Spurs play micro-ball, which will get them absolutely nowhere.

Nor is Spurs' brand of micro-ball fun to watch.

Didn't Pop promise, just a few weeks ago, that RJ would not play any more power forward?

Libri
03-18-2010, 02:34 AM
unfortunately if I understand things correctly they gave up his bird rights when they declined his option for next year.

They are limited to either signing him to a contract no bigger than what they declined (or what he makes now, i forget), which is like 1.7 a year, or having to use portions of the MLE if they want to keep him.

I wasn't aware that they gave up his bird rights.

taps
03-18-2010, 04:38 AM
It was nice to hear Sean hyping the Malinmi bandwagon during the broadcast. calling them the future "frontcourt" iirc and even tacitly complaining about ian not getting any quality looks against Dwight Howard

venitian navigator
03-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Well... at least Mahinmi and Blair should complement well each other...However, better if both develop a good outside shoot (but I think Mahinmi had this weapon in his arsenal, at least when he played in nbdl).
One thing i noticed in the game vs the magic, about the behavior of a lot of our players, is that they are passing free outside shots...in favor, I presume, of the "correct" application of plays.
Frankly, I think that when you are an nba player and you have the defense of the opposite team giving you a lot of space and time to shoot a free shot at the distance of the charity line, you have to shoot it...

angelbelow
03-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Each and every game that Ian produces... and there arent many.... I wonder more about why hes so deep in Pops dog house.

Obstructed_View
03-18-2010, 07:26 AM
I wasn't aware that they gave up his bird rights.

How can you retain them if you fail to pick up a player's option?

wildbill2u
03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
despite it being garbage time, i thought Ian did OK against Gortat, a legitimate NBA role player. Some of his fouling in the past may simply have been from too much adrenalin flowing because of the rush of actually getting into a game.

polandprzem
03-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Did I not see IAN score 10 points in the 4th quarter, block a shot, get a few rebounds and alter about 5 shots and set picks for the guards and help his team get easy shots?

Dude, this dude is going to jet this team and fuckin play 30+ minutes a night for someone else next year and probably average a double double...

Bogans? Come on Pop...

lol sequ

Parker2112
03-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Bogans? Come on Pop...

Blair was wrecking teams early in the season...before teams had tape on him. Same for Ian. Dont get me wrong though, he can definitely help us, if Pop will coach him up and get him on the court.

Pop gave this game away in my opinion.

I'm beginning to think this...it explains why we have been stuck with this shitty two man game for so long, whil other players rot on the vine.

and mason and jefferson and scola and oberto and mcdyess and finley....Pop is just fuckin killin players man...

exactly...

This was easily Ian's best performance in his limited time this season IMO, and he did it against probably the 3rd best bench big man in the NBA..

Most important thing of all was that he played defense with his positioning instead of using his hands and fouling, and he did this against 2 very good bigs in Gortat and Bass..granted they probably weren't going a 100% due to it being garbage time, but it was still encouraging..

Pop clearly doesn't trust Ian in any way, even having the new D-leaguers subbing in before him in these games(although they play different positions)..with Blair's struggles lately, Duncan looking for some rest and Ian looking good in this game, hopefully it encourages Pop a little..although highly unlikely..

Harlem, you were celebrating the loss. stfu.

I hope to god they dont let him go. I may boycott any team with Pop at the helm.

J Mack
03-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Go Ian Go !!!! yea he really looked good out there last night. this is the 1st time i've got to see him actually play in an NBA Game. sucks that he has been burried on the beach this whole season. I'll be the first to say it ... 2 tears in a bucket whenever PoP retires. :flag:

elbamba
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I think it has less to do with trust and more to do with the SPurs intending to bring him back next year cheap. I would imagine that they give him some minutes next year, especially if splitter does not come over.

bobbybob0
03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I think it has less to do with trust and more to do with the SPurs intending to bring him back next year cheap. I would imagine that they give him some minutes next year, especially if splitter does not come over.

Why not pick his option in the first place then?

I think he was on board for 1.7M next year, do you really think the Spurs can sign him for less this summer?

rogcl1
03-18-2010, 12:26 PM

I agree with your thoughts.I listened to the coach on the postgame last night and it was like he had a hard time giving any props to Ian. I don't think Ian is a solution to all problems, but I do know that you cannot teach athleticism and athleticism can make up for other mistakes.
Give the kid a shot in real game situations for heavens sake.

Budkin
03-18-2010, 12:29 PM
The silver lining in the blowout last night was the younger guys getting some good burn against a really good team on their own floor. Ian was taking full advantage and I hope that Pop took notice... finally.

Cane
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Ian made a good case last night for more minutes even if it was in garbage time. Interesting to see him so far deep in the doghouse though since Pop has given minutes to the 10-day players, Malik, and Blair.

spurtech09
03-18-2010, 01:24 PM
start Ian...or start blair.....

kaji157
03-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I know it was just one game, but Ian looked polished to me, at least on the offensive game, his game flowed quite nice against Gortat, which is a good post defender, and didn't seem as rusty as before.
I would like pop to strat playing him at the bigining of games at least, just in case he can help.

santymrc
03-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Ian deserves a chance, at least one fucking legit chance to prove everyone hes an NBA player or not.

Old School 44
03-18-2010, 02:20 PM
At the beginning of the year, I thought Pop would groom Ian to eventually start along side Duncan. I think he would have taken a lot of defensive pressure off Duncan. It was great to see him get some time, but unfortunately, I doubt if this last game, and the sparse minutes he'll get the rest of the regular season, is going to translate into playoff rotation minutes.

More than anything else, Ian needs some "guts of the game" minutes, not garbage minutes. Garbage minutes don't prove much one way or the other. On the telecast Sean mentioned he would've like to see Ian get some time against Howard. I agree. Some say he's a foul machine and makes too many mistakes, I say so what, let him foul out and let him learn from his mistakes.

Sadly, if I were Ian, no way I resign with the Spurs this off season.

wildbill2u
03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
If you take Ian's stats and give the old "if this was translated into 48 minutes" spin, he'd be a 40ppg and 10 rpg guy with no fouls per game.

Take that Pop :ihit

phxspurfan
03-18-2010, 03:16 PM
and on another note...why in the fuck is Bonner penetrating and shooting Jabbar hooks from 15 feet away? Geezus fuckin kriste man

:lol When I saw Bonner attempt a drive and just throw the ball at the rim I remembered my old tennis coach who would say:

"This"

*flail*

"Is NOT a shot!"

jjktkk
03-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I've often benn critical of Mahimni, because I watch him in one game, and he looks good out there, and then the next game he seems to regress, or take a step back. I know its hard to evauluate a guy when Pop doesn't play em enough. But after last night, I came away impressed with Mahimni. He looked fluid out there and IMO got the better of Gortat, a legit bigman, in their matchup last night. I always thought Mahimni had all the physical tools, but I always questioned his BBIQ, or the mental part of his game. After last night, I definitely think Mahimni should get more playing time, and hope that he continues to improve. And hope that Mahimni can work his way into the rotation come playoff time.

Dr. Gonzo
03-18-2010, 04:16 PM
It was nice to hear Sean hyping the Malinmi bandwagon during the broadcast. calling them the future "frontcourt" iirc and even tacitly complaining about ian not getting any quality looks against Dwight Howard

Even lottery teams have front courts. That's where the Spurs are headed.

mathbzh
03-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Every time I see one of these thread I can't help thinking about "Any Given Sunday"... the stubborn coach and his play-books vs. the talented but raw player buried at the end of the bench.

dbestpro
03-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Every time I see one of these thread I can't help thinking about "Any Given Sunday"... the stubborn coach and his play-books vs. the talented but raw player buried at the end of the bench.

Except, there is no happy ending for Ian with Pop coaching.

objective
03-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Am I crazy, or does it seem like this thread is full of people who were calling Ian garbage and declaring he'd be out of the league but now want him to get time? :wow

But of course, the logic has been there for him to get a chance since before the season.

Especially last night. A back-to-back where Duncan had played 32 minutes the night before including an entire 3rd quarter? Set aside that Duncan still wasn't taken out at the 2 minute mark when they were up by 25 against the Heat, but he could have sat against the Magic.

And if the pressure was on to play Duncan, then sit Dice. He was dragging his dead leg up and down the court Thriller style again last night, he should've sat if Duncan was going to play.

-----

One amusing event was when in the postgame with Coach Brown, Schoening brought up Mahinmi getting time as a consolation prize, and Brown almost seemed uncomfortable with answering. He responded that the game was out of hand, so they threw Ian a bone. And that Ian spends his time working with Chad and Chip. So every once in a while they'll throw him a bone.

Not exactly high praise or an indication that anything will be changing. But the other times of postgames when he or Newman praised Ian or Malik and talked about them maybe getting more time, Pop made sure that didn't happen. So maybe they've learned their lesson and will no longer say anything positive with regards to real playing time for these guys.

----

Back to the game, I did see things I don't like from Ian and couldn't say it was his best game without question. In particular his layups. Some games he does like he should and slams when he has the chance to finish strong, last night his euro-tendencies took over and he had a couple of layups that should have been dunks. It didn't make a difference because he made the layups, but that just shows how hard some habits are to break. In the non-blowout time of games he needs to finish like he did against the Nets and not Charles-Smith the gimmes, he's not Oberto with zero lift or Blair who's 6'7", he needs to finish strong.

objective
03-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Because that's what living is!

The 6 feet, 11 inches, in front Pop's face!

Now I can't make him do it.

He's got to look at the players next to him! Look into Ian's eyes! I think Pop's gonna see a guy . . . who will go that inch with him.

He's gonna see a guy, who will sacrifice his glass ankles for this team, because he knows, when it comes down to it, smallball is complete garbage!

That's a Spurs team gentlemen.

And, either we heal (Parker's injuries), now, as a team . . . or we will die . . . in the first round getting rolled by the Mavs or Lakers . . .

That's Spursball guys.

That's all it is.

Now . . . What is :pop: gonna do?

Obstructed_View
03-18-2010, 07:27 PM
I remember when Blair was playing well and had gotten some rhythm. Now that's broken too.

Snaq O'Meal
03-18-2010, 07:42 PM
The silver lining in the blowout last night was the younger guys getting some good burn against a really good team on their own floor. Ian was taking full advantage and I hope that Pop took notice... finally.

Pop would know this all along.

Trouble is... other teams shopping for a big man would've taken noticed too. I won't bet on Ian coming back next year. The issue won't be money but playing time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Given that we are not a contender, Ian and Malik should be playing 24-30mins a game right now. Let's see what they can really offer.

Sadly, what should be and what is rarely coincide. :bang

Snaq O'Meal
03-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Back to the game, I did see things I don't like from Ian and couldn't say it was his best game without question. In particular his layups. Some games he does like he should and slams when he has the chance to finish strong, last night his euro-tendencies took over and he had a couple of layups that should have been dunks. It didn't make a difference because he made the layups, but that just shows how hard some habits are to break. In the non-blowout time of games he needs to finish like he did against the Nets and not Charles-Smith the gimmes, he's not Oberto with zero lift or Blair who's 6'7", he needs to finish strong.

Dunking may have been misconstrued as showboating. At this stage, the safest thing for Ian to do is to make those buckets without pissing off his coach.

rogcl1
03-18-2010, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=objective;4166775]

-----

One amusing event was when in the postgame with Coach Brown, Schoening brought up Mahinmi getting time as a consolation prize, and Brown almost seemed uncomfortable with answering. He responded that the game was out of hand, so they threw Ian a bone. And that Ian spends his time working with Chad and Chip. So every once in a while they'll throw him a bone.

Not exactly high praise or an indication that anything will be changing. But the other times of postgames when he or Newman praised Ian or Malik and talked about them maybe getting more time, Pop made sure that didn't happen. So maybe they've learned their lesson and will no longer say anything positive with regards to real playing time for these guys.

----

I mentioned this in a previous post as it seemed to me also that the coach was very awkward in his answer. I have questioned the strength of the assistants in regard to them presenting and standing up to Pop with dissenting views on basketball issues. I wonder more now if they just have been cowered down by Pop and had their nuts cut off, or if they are yes men by choice. My bet is a little of both.

jjktkk
03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Given that we are not a contender, Ian and Malik should be playing 24-30mins a game right now. Let's see what they can really offer.

Sadly, what should be and what is rarely coincide. :bang

There in contention for the playoffs, so Pop won't be waving the white flag anytime soon so he can give the young guys more playing time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Pop will forgive you for being an Aggie.

Oooh, I feel so burned...

Sobe_Kucks
03-19-2010, 11:49 AM
You mean???
Mahinmi Beamen keep the ladies screamin':lol

I guess the highlights of 2010 Spurstalk are:

-RJ Sucks
-Pop Sucks
-Trade Tony Parker
-Blair is Beastly
-Bogans is the Centerpieceofshit
-Small Ball still sucks like it did in 2009
-Bonner sucks!
-Bonner is s good stretch 4
-What?? No trade made by the dealine
-Goodby Findog... give that "contender" your 0pt 0rb stats
-Manu is back to Manu
-Play Hairston!
-Ian needs more burn but Pop won't give it to him

SinBAD
03-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Ian played a great game today.He is very atheletic.Its sad to see that pop doesnt wnt to give him a chance next to duncan.He would make his life easier and could maybe guard someone like dirk.

G-Dawgg
03-19-2010, 09:48 PM
K just to give credit where it's due, I have to admit Mahinmi played well today vs Golden State... he didn't make any stupid turnovers, and played good defense without fouling!! Way to go Ian!!!

Brazil
03-19-2010, 10:03 PM
yep 12 mn 12 points 6 reb 1 blk ! congrat Ian

santymrc
03-19-2010, 10:11 PM
He's looking good, dam if RMJ can play BB Ian should be there 48 mins.

Johnny RIngo
03-19-2010, 10:22 PM
You mean???
Mahinmi Beamen keep the ladies screamin':lol

I guess the highlights of 2010 Spurstalk are:

-RJ Sucks
-Pop Sucks
-Trade Tony Parker
-Blair is Beastly
-Bogans is the Centerpieceofshit
-Small Ball still sucks like it did in 2009
-Bonner sucks!
-Bonner is s good stretch 4
-What?? No trade made by the dealine
-Goodby Findog... give that "contender" your 0pt 0rb stats
-Manu is back to Manu
-Play Hairston!
-Ian needs more burn but Pop won't give it to him

You're missing "Defensive juggernaut Theo Ratliff traded for a top 58 protected 2nd round pick"

wildbill2u
03-19-2010, 10:50 PM
yep 12 mn 12 points 6 reb 1 blk ! congrat Ian
Why if you extend those minutes into the 48 min per game averages the guy is a 48 ppg, 24 rpg and 4 blks per game player.

Well, maybe not, with his 2 fould in 12 minutes he'd foul out in the 3rd.

Just kidding. The guy had a nice game. He's obviously getting more comfortable and able to contain his fouling and miscues from being too eager.

Should have found out earlier in the season, but we didn't have many blowout games where these young bench players could show what they got.

mingus
03-19-2010, 11:14 PM
unbelievable how this guy does not get any burn other than in trash time. it's just frustrating. a guy like Elson got an opportunity with this team when he sucked major ass, yet Mahinimi, who does will when given the opportunity, isn't given serious playing time. WTF. :rolleyes

A guy like Mahinmi i could see thriving off of Manu with his athleticism.

Obstructed_View
03-19-2010, 11:25 PM
unbelievable how this guy does not get any burn other than in trash time. it's just frustrating. a guy like Elson got an opportunity with this team when he sucked major ass, yet Mahinimi, who does will when given the opportunity, isn't given serious playing time. WTF. :rolleyes

A guy like Mahinmi i could see thriving off of Manu with his athleticism.

The question is, could you make Ian be Rasho Nesterovic on defense, and he seems to have answered that for me. He's pretty much convinced me that he can get to a spot and get his hands in the air in the half court, and he moves well defending on the run.

angelbelow
03-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I honestly hope Ian has earned a chance to at least play with the big boys. Malik definitely earned his spot and additional playing time even this late into the season. So I hope Pop can allow Ian to play some more especially since hes played so well in the limited minutes hes played.

TIMMYD!
03-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Ian needs to play.

ducks
03-20-2010, 12:19 AM
ian>rasho

poop
03-20-2010, 12:37 AM
while its obvious hes raw and would make alot of mistakes/turnovers at first, it is equally obvious that with more PT these would get irone out and he would be a damn solid true center for today's game to give Tim the help hes needed for years now.

DPG21920
03-20-2010, 01:00 AM
How does Ian get the least amount of minutes tonight besides Dice?

whottt
03-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Because Pop didn't want Ian to bust 30 points in this game.

It's like you guys don't want Ian here next year or something.

sabar
If only our team showed up 3 months ago we could get a good playoff seeding.
Most of the problems have been shored up as the year has gone on. We still have flaws (health, consistency), but nothing like at the start of the season. Ian and Malik's good showings are icing on our half-baked cake this season.

I like what I've seen, no doubt about that. Gut feeling says it's too little too late though. Might as well keep playing them, what's there to lose with a low playoff seeding and hurt Tony? Maybe RJ can carry momentum into the playoff and Ian ends up being the savior. It was so nice seeing someone tall demolish a tiny team and not being on the receiving end.

Whisky Dog
It's completely illogical. Pop has something against the kid. With a front line of old and older Ian should be a rotation big. It makes zero sense how this shit has gone down.

Whisky Dog
03-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Because Pop didn't want Ian to bust 30 points in this game.

It's like you guys don't want Ian here next year or something.

They need to admit they fucked up and work with his agent to extend him now then play his ass.

MaNu4Tres
03-20-2010, 02:04 AM
No matter what Yanny does out there, the new Pop loves the three pointer from Bonner more than he should.

To Yanny's credit, he's looked really good the past month with the opportunities presented to him. I think his offensive game is underrated and his defense has improved where he continues to show more discipline.

Spurs would be wise to try to resign him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-20-2010, 02:12 AM
It's completely illogical. Pop has something against the kid. With a front line of old and older Ian should be a rotation big. It makes zero sense how this shit has gone down.

This has been covered ad nauseum here.

The Spurs didn't pick up Ian's option last summer, making him a free agent this summer. They need his price to be low this summer in order to re-sign him.

They've essentially decided to bury him at the end of the bench to keep his price down as much as possible.

Get over it.

whottt
03-20-2010, 02:26 AM
I don't see what the big deal is...Pop has given Ian Raitliff's role. The guy was injured for year and a half and has a couple of seasons of d-league ball under his belt.

I don't think it's so much that Ian has looked like crap as it is he has looked fragile. The Spurs just can't throw money stupidly at every player that might pan out on the roster. If anything proves, throw money at it, is not the solution, it should be this season.

I like Ian and I am glad he is getting some minutes....and he is getting minutes, best not to expect things like Ian turning a Dirk or Pau stopper in the last month and a half of this season, because it is extemely unlikely to happen.

And he is getting minutes. He's got Ratliff's role.

MaNu4Tres
03-20-2010, 02:30 AM
And he is getting minutes. He's got Ratliff's role.

Mop-up minutes yes.

Quality minutes no, even though some of the players he's gone up against have been quality players.

Would like to see him play against one of the better teams coming up ( Cleveland/LA/ Boston), while the game is still in balance.

whottt
03-20-2010, 02:38 AM
Mop up minutes are better than no minutes. It's better than what he was getting. It's not like Ian blew Matt Bonner off the court tonight or anything. Lots of guys on this team need minutes. Ian's got a spot, and that's better than not having a spot, which was entirely possible knowing Pop's history.

Based on what I see from this team...they'll be right there come playoff time. I don't see them beating LA, but I think they'll be able to take anybody in the conference other than LA. And Ian's not going to be the difference against LA, this season at least....so it's not totally development time and this is what Ian's getting right now.

The guy potentially is the solution against some of the bigs in the league...however he's not the total solution, he's too thin for that, and even if he is, it isn't likely to happen this season.

There plenty of guys that need PT for this team to do anything in the playoffs.

Pop obviously played his main guys and built a lead and then gave Ian some extended burn. Not bad for guy that wasn't even dressing for most of the season.

I guess I am just trying to say...it could be a lot worse and Ian is getting minutes.

Obstructed_View
03-20-2010, 02:53 AM

The Spurs didn't pick up Ian's option last summer, making him a free agent this summer. They need his price to be low this summer in order to re-sign him.

They've essentially decided to bury him at the end of the bench to keep his price down as much as possible.

Get over it.

I still maintain that the Spurs lost him the day they declined his option and that was sealed the night of the New Jersey game. There are crap bigs getting paid a lot of money in this league, and there are some indications that Ian's not a crap big.

MaNu4Tres
03-20-2010, 02:55 AM
I still maintain that the Spurs lost him the day they declined his option and that was sealed the night of the New Jersey game. There are crap bigs getting paid a lot of money in this league, and there are some indications that Ian's not a crap big.

To be fair Channing Frye got 1.9 million in last years' market.

Next year, players' market value will go down to an extent due to the decrease of the cap.

Yanny won't be offered more than 2 million a year. If so I'd be really surprised.

Obstructed_View
03-20-2010, 03:00 AM
To be fair Channing Frye got 1.9 million in last years' market.

Next year, players' market value will go down to an extent due to the decrease of the cap.

Yanny won't be offered more than 2 million a year. If so I'd be really surprised.

I certainly hope you're right.

jjktkk
03-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Mop-up minutes yes.

Quality minutes no, even though some of the players he's gone up against have been quality players.

Would like to see him play against one of the better teams coming up ( Cleveland/LA/ Boston), while the game is still in balance.

Good luck with that happening. Pop reluctantly gives out minutes to the young guys in a blow out. Can't see Mahimni playing in crunch time, at least not now. But he is getting more minutes now, which is good.

objective
03-20-2010, 03:18 AM
while the "keep his value low" theory works from the outside looking in, I don't think it rings so true from the inside out. It would be nice if it was the case though.

There's no point to keeping his value low if they sign Splitter like they hope too. And even though I was about 5 months ahead of Mike Monroe on the spectre of the looming work stoppage keeping Splitter away, that doesn't mean Splitter won't be a Spur.

With Splitter, they'd have TD, Splitter, Blair, and McDyess under contract. That's 4, and Pop won't go without having a floor-spreading PF like Bonner or some other scrub to fill that role, so that would be 5 bigs. There really would be zero point to re-signing Ian to any deal, or for him to agree to it. Because he'd get even less time than he does now as Splitter is a lock for significant minutes.

And if Splitter bails, you kept Ian's value low. But are you sure he can overcome his fouls/turnovers/yips? A lot of people like me think so, but there's no 100% convincing case because he doesn't get real opportunities. He could be another Amir Johnson for all we know, good stats on the small scale but unable to fill a larger role. I think he's already better than Johnson, but that's not the point, there's no way of knowing. Can the Spurs bank on that to supplement a TD-Blair-McDyess frontcourt in the last days of the Duncan dynasty?

Furthermore, I don't think the Spurs burying Ian is anything related to future-value strategizing because of the season of his fellow inactive-brother, Malik Hairston. Malik was under option for next year for cheap too. There was no need to lower his value for free agency, but that didn't stop Pop from exiling him to Austin after he made Bogans look bad in pre-season. That didn't help Hairston get any minutes all season. In fact, the only reason Hairston is getting minutes this season is because Finley went to the Spurs and wanted a buyout. The Spurs didn't go to Fin because they wanted to free up time for Malik, they still wanted Fin. They weren't going to de-activate him for Malik, ever. Without Finley being selfish, Malik would be in the Garrett Temple role for now with Parker being hurt, and inactive after Parker returned.

Ian is no different. If they play Ian now, and can be certain to their own qualifications that he is someone that Pop could play as a legit NBA big (I already think he is, but it's on Pop, and he's the HoF coach and I'm the internet jackass) . . . then they have "Splitter Insurance".

If Splitter pulls a Splitter, then you still have up to the MLE for Ian. He could get some major offers his way, but I doubt that even in this summer's environment where so many teams will have major caproom that he gets an offer bigger than the MLE based on 15 end of season games + a first round of the playoffs.

If Splitter comes, he's the starting center, case closed. It wouldn't even matter if after a good look at Ian in games if maybe he could be construed as a better fit (I'm not saying he is). You'd have to go with Splitter.

Nothing wrong with playing Ian. Do or Do not, if Splitter comes, Ian's a goner.

I hope I'm wrong and the "keeping his value low" theory is right.

Bruno
03-20-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't have a clue if Spurs want to re-sign Mahinmi for next season but I'm happy for Ian that he is able to show some good things (even if it's only during garbage time). Ian will be a FA, these games should help him to find a team to continue his career in the NBA. he is a nice guy, I hope he will succeed in the NBA even if it's with another team.

wildbill2u
03-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Objective, I'd like to pick up on something you said about needing a big to spread the floor. I don't follow the Euro leagues much, but when Splitter was drafted I did a little investigation.

If I'm not mistaken, in previous years (possibly with a different coach) Splitter was stationed out on the perimeter arc. He had a good ability to drive and not a bad outside shot. He was much thinner when younger and didn't play as much down low in the box. I'm not saying he'd be a 7' with an outside presence like Rasheed, but he has some experience out there. He'd be intriguing when playing with Timmy.

timtonymanu
03-20-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't have a clue if Spurs want to re-sign Mahinmi for next season but I'm happy for Ian that he is able to show some good things (even if it's only during garbage time). Ian will be a FA, these games should help him to find a team to continue his career in the NBA. he is a nice guy, I hope he will succeed in the NBA even if it's with another team.

For some odd reason I feel like he will be resigned. If not, I hope he does well in another team. I rather he do well in another team (like Scola) and prove Pop wrong instead of being resigned here and wasting his potential where he's underappreciated.

Whisky Dog
03-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Get over it.

Covered ad nauseum, but still bullshit.

The Spurs aren't trying to keep his market low, if they really wanted to do that he'd e in a suit every night. Like Objective pointed out above, the Spurs are looking to Splitter coming but if he doesn't then Ian is the insurance. I think I'd feel better knowing what my plan B can do in real minutes against real teams, and even in the playoffs. We thought Mason was a stud last season until the playoffs hit and he disappeared. Now when Ian is showing something is the time to find out if he's a plan B or not. They had the chance to pick the option and lock a potential plan B for cheap but they fucked that up. Now they need to see what he can do.

Bruno
03-20-2010, 10:14 AM
If Spurs sign Splitter this summer, I think that it's quite unlikely that they will re-sign Bonner:

- If Bonner sucks during the playoffs, he will have an history of choking. I don't see Spurs bringing him back.

- If Bonner is good during the playoffs, there will have a financial problem. With Spurs facing the luxury tax in 2010-2011, a new CBA coming in 2011 and Spurs starting a rebuilding cycle in 2012, Spurs will be careful. I don't see them offering $10M/3 years for a player like Bonner who will be the fifth PF/C (behind Duncan, McDyess, Blair and Splitter...) and who has a limited upside. IMO, the most they will offer is a LLE like contract ($4M/2 years) and I can see another team offering more money.

DPG21920
03-20-2010, 10:53 AM
I just don't get why guys like Jackson and Temple get more minutes.

wut
03-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Ian is improving, but the dude needs to build up some muscle....he can score in the paint when people aren't guarding; but when REAL defense gets on him, its over.

Ian will be a solid backup center in 2 years time; until then he's garbage time fodder.

jjktkk
03-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I just don't get why guys like Jackson and Temple get more minutes.

Just an audition for those 2, seeing if their worth inviting to the Spurs summer league team.

Mr Bones
03-20-2010, 01:08 PM
This theory floating around that the Spurs want to resign Mahinmi for cheap and therefore don't play him in order to keep other teams from becoming interested just doesn't ring true to me. He has already received attention from scouts who've been quoted saying that he is a legitimate NBA player, and if guys like Dan Gadzuric and Sean Marks can find homes in the league I doubt Mahinmi will have a problem. I don't see why he would resign with the Spurs at this point when Pop obviously has such issues with him.... a very strange situation.

SenorSpur
03-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Ian shouldn't be viewed as Spiltter insurance. He should be viewed as Dice insurance. It's obvious that Dice is on his way down. I like the guy, but he's not worked out any better than RJ. I wouldn't have a problem if they shipped him away this summer.

Again, Ian has a skillset that no one on this team has - and that includes Splitter (who may never see the inside of the AT&T Center). If the Spurs are smart, they'll work to get him resigned and view him as a contributing big for this team, for the foreseeable future.

AFE7FATMAN
03-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Pop does not want Bigs. :(

toki9
03-20-2010, 05:44 PM
This theory floating around that the Spurs want to resign Mahinmi for cheap and therefore don't play him in order to keep other teams from becoming interested just doesn't ring true to me. He has already received attention from scouts who've been quoted saying that he is a legitimate NBA player, and if guys like Dan Gadzuric and Sean Marks can find homes in the league I doubt Mahinmi will have a problem. I don't see why he would resign with the Spurs at this point when Pop obviously has such issues with him.... a very strange situation.

I think Pop just doesn't want to play him for whatever (legitimate or dubious) reasons...he needs a fresh start far away from Pop...

santymrc
03-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I think Pop just doesn't want to play him for whatever (legitimate or dubious) reasons...he needs a fresh start far away from Pop...

Pop doesn't want to be proved wrong.