PDA

View Full Version : Oden on the mend, but cautious

tlongII
03-18-2010, 10:48 AM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=126886020324943300

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news_graphics/126887059711429400.jpg

Rehab from December surgery for a fractured left kneecap (patella) is going fairly smoothly for Greg Oden.

Not so well, though, that the 7-foot center can expect to return to the Trail Blazers this season.

“The chance of that happening is remote at best,” veteran Portland trainer Jay Jensen says.

Almost two months ago, Oden told the Portland Tribune, “I’m actually hoping, and saying my prayers, that I can come back before the end of this season.”

Asked this week about whether he still holds that hope, Oden sounds as if he has scaled back his plans. “I have no idea when I can get back to playing,” Oden says. “Until I get better, I won’t know for sure.

“I want to get my knee feeling good to the point where if (a return this season) doesn’t happen, I can at least go into the summer knowing I’m ready for next season. I’m just being realistic.”

Coach Nate McMillan is looking at it the same way.

“I’m basically planning that Greg won’t return this season,” he says. “If he does, great. What we have to do is make sure he is healthy when he does return, whether it’s this year or next year.

“It would be a big risk if we were trying to hurry him back when he has been out for most of the year. The main thing is to get him as strong as possible, whenever that is.”

Jensen, working with strength/conditioning coach Bobby Medina to oversee Oden’s recovery, is pleased with the former Ohio State standout’s progress.

“Greg is doing great,” says Jensen, in his 15th season as Portland’s trainer and 20th year overall in the NBA. “His patella fracture has healed. We’re in the strengthening phase of his rehab.”

About three weeks ago, Oden began running on the AlterG anti-gravity treadmill. “Running 30 percent off his body weight,” Jensen says.

For the past week, Jensen has temporarily taken Oden off the AlterG machine.

“It was a little sore, a little swollen,” Oden admits.

“Sometimes your knee gets irritated and sore,” Jensen says. “It has nothing to do with the fracture, but with non-activity. We decided to change his workout pattern, concentrating more on non-ballistic activities, making it more non-impact.”

That has meant more workouts in the pool and on the bike. On Monday, Jensen and Oden rode 15 miles on the streets.

“Greg is starting to close the gap between him and me,” Jensen says. “The leg is getting stronger and the cardiovascular system is improving.”

When can Oden return to the court for basketball-related activity?

“That’s a good question,” Jensen says. “A lot of it depends on the kind of progress Greg makes. A lot of what he is doing now is trying to build the quad strength back up. As he does that, he’ll be able to do certain activities such as step-ups, squats, jumping.

“At some point, we’ll transfer those kind of activities onto the court. A lot of it has to do with confidence. Once Greg feels like he’s confident and able to do those, he’ll get out there.”

Any timeline? A month, perhaps?

“I think it is farther away than a month,” Jensen says. “To play basketball, he has to be able to get his (left-leg) strength equal with his right leg. Once you do that, you can get back into practice and game kind of situations. Even then, you’re not just throwing him out there. You start with non-contact drills, then regular practices. We’re a long way from that, and we have less than a month left in the regular season.”

When team doctor Don Roberts performed the surgery, he inserted two screws along with a wire that crisscrosses and ties at the top of the bone.

“Greg’s latest X-ray looks great,” Jensen says. “The bone was a healthy bone. It was pulled apart by a tremendously strong muscle contraction of his quads. His bone was very dense and hard, as evidenced by the drill bit Don had to use to put the screws in.”

Screws stay in leg
The screws will probably remain in the leg, Jensen says.

“The only thing that may need to happen is, at some point the wire will probably come out,” he says. “That doesn’t have to happen, if it’s not irritating the muscle. If it does, it’s not a very hard procedure to do.”

Will Oden’s knee return 100 percent healthy?

“Yes, no question,” Jensen says. “He is 22. He has had a series of unfortunate events. They are bad luck, and they have happened to a big guy who has tremendously powerful legs in a sport that is hard on big men. It is unnatural to play night in and night out, taking the kind of pounding their bodies take. It is remarkable what they are able to do.”

Jensen says Oden has to pass through some psychological barriers, however.

“A lot of it is getting over the mental obstacles that have to do with this type of injury,” Jensen says. “Greg has to go through these phases of rehab and has to pass certain tests. When he returns, he has to go out there with confidence, knowing his leg is strong enough to withstand playing NBA basketball. Part of our job is to make him feel confident that he is able to do that.

“Right now, we’re not there. He is taking baby steps. We’re trying to progress him in the safest manner possible.”

Staying positive
Jensen is also working with center Joel Przybilla, who underwent surgery on March 9 after re-rupturing the patella tendon in his right knee while slipping in the shower. Przybilla is convalescing at his Tualatin home.

“Joel is letting the surgery wounds heal,” Jensen says. “We’ll get the sutures out shortly and then we begin the process all over again. He’ll be back in the pool at some point soon.

“It’s going to be painstakingly slow for him, trying to get his quad to fire. He was 10 weeks post-surgery when the re-injury happened. He has nine weeks to go to get back to where he was before, and he was doing great. He had good movement of the leg. We had just seen him and the quad was looking fabulous, which is probably what gave him a false sense of security when he stepped into the shower.”

Jensen says the Blazers will err on the side of caution.

“Once you go through an injury like this — and Joel has gone through it twice — you are going to be cautious as to how soon you want to get back there on the court,” he says. “Nobody really understands what these two guys are going through when it comes to the mental approach to getting back onto the floor. I can only imagine what that is like. I’m approaching it with trepidation, too. I don’t know how mentally they’re going to deal with it. I know how difficult it would be for me.

“I can’t over-emphasize, that’s the hardest part for both guys. It’s not just about healing, it’s about mentally working through this whole process. It’s a huge hurdle for both of them.”

Neither center sits behind the Blazer bench on game nights. Oden works out and then watches on a television set in the training room.

“I can’t bend my leg that long to sit (on the bench),” he says. “I’m icing the knee as I watch the game.”

Oden says he is doing his best to keep in shape.

“I’m lifting (weights) to keep my strength, doing a lot of (abdominal) stuff and trying to burn calories,” he says.

Oden had a final exam in his sociology class at Portland State on Tuesday. He won’t take any classes spring term.

For now, the Indianapolis native is working on keeping a good mental frame.

“It’s frustrating not being out there,” he says. “I can’t stand here and say I’m happy. It’s very tough, because I want to be out there playing.

“But I’ve stayed positive. If you don’t, it can eat at you.”

Looks like he won't be back for the playoffs which is disappointing. His rehab is going well though and that's a good thing! :tu

tlongII
03-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Oh, and Cobbler. Our bet is off if Oden isn't playing.

clambake
03-18-2010, 11:10 AM

welsher

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Unless there was an injury clause to your bet that's bushleague.

oh crap
03-18-2010, 11:16 AM
this guy is still in the league? the fucking towel boy has contributed more to the teams success than this injury prone nobody.

Mike D
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
x2

ban worthy.

lil_penny
03-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Anytime you're dealing with the blazers there's a injury clause involved lol

Mel_13
03-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Sad

Weak

Predictable

Indazone
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Yao v.2.0

TIMMYD!
03-18-2010, 12:24 PM
He'll get hurt again. Just watch.

pauls931
03-18-2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=126886020324943300

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news_graphics/126887059711429400.jpg

Looks like he won't be back for the playoffs which is disappointing. His rehab is going well though and that's a good thing! :tu

Good. I was hoping they would not rush him back and result in another injury jeapardizing next season. Seen the Suns try this with Amare a couple years back for the playoffs and it didn't work out.